Speaker 1: You're listening to Why we do what we do. Welcome to Why we do what we do Mini. I'm your host Abraham, and I'm your O Shane. We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do, and in many episodes that we release on Mondays, we do that quickly in a short format that's only like fifteen minutes or less. Our full length episodes come out on Wednesdays, so you can check out those for more in depth conversations, multiparters and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: But let's go ahead and dive into this.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to support us, you can leave us a rating and a review, like a subscribe, tell a friend, join us on Patreon. I'll talk more about those at the end of our discussion today. If you are joining us for the first time and welcome, I hope that you enjoy what we describe in this discussion and that appeals to you and then you're like, man, I feel so well informed that I'm just happy, and that's what we're trying to do. If you're a return to person, then welcome back. You already had that blissful euphoria and you're here for more and I applaud you being here. But either way, this is a mini so we got to get in there. Is there anything you'd like to add or that I forgot before we dive into our topic today?
Speaker 3: Nope, not today.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start big around the world and throughout human history.
Speaker 2: Is that big enough?
Speaker 3: I think that's plenty big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, perfect In that amount of time, students have been required to take work home with them from school for centuries. I mean, we haven't obviously had an education system for as long as there have been humans, But since we've had an education system, or at least for a good chunk of it, students have been required to take work home with them after their education in some capacity. However, the emphasis on this practice has also been the subject of debate for nearly as long and has ebbed and flowed in the extent to which there are requirements for things like homework.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so a new or we should really say in the currentside, guys, because we've had this conversation before, a new quote unquote discussion argues for less or no homework in school, at least in elementary schools.
Speaker 1: And while this does kind of sound like the makings of a debate. There's actual science here, so we'll just explore the arguments for and against homework and find out what is suggested by science and the data that are out there.
Speaker 2: Are you ready, yes, let's do this.
Speaker 1: Let's start by defining our terms. Homework is additional academically oriented tasks assigned to students to complete outside of the time spent in the classroom. I made up that definition and look it up. But that seems like that captured it for the most part. So if you disagree with me, go ahead and let us know. But anyway, the point is that you might have, for example, a student that solves additional math problems after having practiced similar math problems in class during the day, and they take those home and there's like a worksheet and they have to complete that worksheet, and the teachers who assign these things will enforce their policy of assigning additional work by including the completion and usually the accuracy of these assignments as a part of the students overall grade for the class. So like if they were just assign homework and the student didn't do it and there was no consequences for not doing it, then they would never do it, but because they can lump these things in with the grade for the class, they get to sort of hold the students accountable to that expectation by leveraging those contingencies.
Speaker 3: Right. However, many have pointed out that there's some problems with this. There are there are plenty of problems with us, specifically this emphasis on homework and why it's a problem. One of the things is it's stressful. Surveys and studies have found repeatedly that students and families of students that they cite homework, particularly large amounts of homework exceeding about an hour to be significant source of stress and fights at home. Actually it causes quite a few problems there.
Speaker 2: Did you have issues with homework with your kids?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I mean part of it was the stress of getting it done. Part of it was trying to teach when my kids didn't want to be taught. Part of it was that we were working full time and so it was an additional thing that we had to do inside of our full time schedule that was already pretty packed. So yeah, it was. It had been a historically stressful thing for us, for sure.
Speaker 1: Depending on how you slice said this, is like the number one stressor cited by a lot of students in a lot of places. So there's a legitimate argument to be made here that there is undue stress caused by the burden of homework, particularly as I said, as you said, at large amounts of homework, And relatedly, there are correlations between the amount of homework students complete and other adverse health outcomes, including things like, as you might imagine, sleep deprivation if they're staying up late to work on work, or they're getting up early, weight loss, stomach problems, headaches. In high school, some students reported that they would use drugs or alcohol to cope with the stress and just feeling like they have an excessive amount of work that they're trying to keep up with. They might be doing those things for other reasons and claiming homeworks for the reason, but like they also there are people who have legitimately used drugs or alcohol in high school, at least sometimes because of homework.
Speaker 3: It's also isolating a lot of time spent in homework means less time spent with friends and family, and the social isolation can have significant adverse impacts on students. I mean, I was in ap classes and the amount of homework that we would often have. Like I played baseball and I was in AP classes, and I almost never saw my friends during the week after school because I was so busy with those activities. I mean, baseball was not isolating, but coming home and then doing homework and then maybe even working was not great. So the homework was really a big slice of that pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, very much.
Speaker 1: And this is actually really pointed out powerfully how significant of an impact it can have that students are just not getting like meaningful time with other relationships in their lives. Particularly as you said, like AP students are like really at the most risk for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Another thing that happens is when there's a lot of homework, students are more likely to cheat. Several teachers have reported discovering that when there are a lot of and lengthiest signs, students are more likely to plagiarize, copy from each other, try and find hacks for how they might solve their like get through the homework or find other ways to cheat to complete their homework and do so efficiently. And if they've got more homework than they've got hour, like more hours of homework than they have time between when that was assigned and when it was due, then like they're increasingly prone to find other ways to solve it. And that's part of where AI I think has become such a problem is because it's so fast at solving some of these things. So it's understandable that if there's a lot of homework that students are more likely to turn to those systems so that they have more time that is not spent doing homework.
Speaker 3: Right, And it's even worse when there's ads to the middle of the homework.
Speaker 2: So bad.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're back and we're talking about some of the problems that come up with homework. One of the things that comes up is that students are less likely to do the homework at all. Besides the fact that it's stressful, besides that it's isolating, besides that they're likely to cheat, they're just not likely to do it. So if they're defeated by spending hours doing homework, they may not even get a very good grade for having done their work. So not only did they spend allless time extra time doing it, they may not even get a good grade for it, And then they're less likely to engage at all. And small, manageable assignments that are well designed and don't feel like busy work are more likely to be completed and be helpful than these larger assignments that they may not do well on.
Speaker 1: There's also this issue that we mentioned a couple of times, now, is just this amount of work that this more is not always better. Teachers have argued that students are already spending six to eight hours per day in school doing academic work, and they pointed out that if you look at other expert performers, they tend to peak and show diminishing or even reverse gains after about four hours of work. These are professionals, experts who are very proficient at what they do, and after four hours we're starting to see their performance plateau or even decline, and we're expecting kids to do double that in some of this some of these cases, they argue that after six hours of a school day, there's a little benefit they're likely to gain from doing even more work afterward.
Speaker 3: And then you've also got disparities in inequalities. So many students from lower income families may have to go straight to work after school, or go home to take care of siblings or other family members or do chores. They're less likely to have time and space to do homework and less likely to have parents who can help or who are around or available to help, whereas more affluent students may have dedicated spaces, plenty of time for help, and more highly educated parents, or even have dedicated tutors available to support homework. So I was in ap classes, I would come home from school, get dressed for work, ride my bike to work because I didn't have a car. Yeah, bring my backpack so that when I was on my break at work, I was doing homework, and then would come home and finish whatever homework I didn't finish after working a five hour shift after school and then staying up all night and then doing it all again the next day. And that was my work routine. If I wasn't if I wasn't working my midnight shifts at the time too, and my parents were around, right, my parents were around and super supportive and helpful, and I still had to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like there are people with wayless, way less supportive situation than you had, Like maybe they have to like do chores and take care of their siblings and babysit and then they have to go to a job and they're supposed to do homework. I'm like, it really does have a disparate impact on people depending on the resources and the situation they have at home. Right, So that's some of the arguments there. There's also just like there's some general sort of research and science to unpack here, and this first one is not actually science, but there are some recommendations from professionals. So the National Education Association and the Natural Parent Teacher Association both recommend a rubric for thinking about homework that is ten minutes of homework per day per grade, which means if you're in first grade, you get ten minutes of homework per day, twenty minutes per day if you're in second grade, thirty minutes per day if you're in third grade, and so on. Like you can see how that scales up up to you would imagine that about two hours per day if you're a senior in high school. And while this isn't explicitly supported by science, the science that does exist that sort of is looking at what available or what homework guidelines might be.
Speaker 2: It is kind of close to that.
Speaker 1: So specifically, what they found is homework and elementary school has negligible benefits on students understanding of the material and subsequent performance on academic testing. So ten minutes a day might even be ten minutes more than is really worth putting anything into that in elementary school there is just not particularly those early early grades. There seems to be very very few, if any, gains to be made by assigning homework to those grade levels.
Speaker 3: Right, but small amounts of homework can have parents more well informed about what students are doing in school and provide some opportunities for support that can be valuable.
Speaker 1: And like it can be a meaningful bonding experience to like the parents who work with the kids and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So like, there's not not.
Speaker 1: Nothing there, right, the quality of the homework is sort of paramount. They found in research homework that feels like busy work does not produce meaningful gains in learning, and researchers actually show that homework should be designed to extend students thinking about a given subject, rather than simply repeating the same exercise again that they did while they were in school. So the architecture behind building these assignments is going to be one of the really important factors in determining how effective any assigned homework is going to be and accomplishing some particular goal.
Speaker 3: Sure, Now, even past elementary school, the amount of time spent has a sweet spot for impact on the students. So some studies show that by high school, after two hours of homework there's a minimal impact on performance, and after three hours of homework, performance metrics actually began to decrease, although one study found no systematically clear data signal regarding how much time spent on homework is appropriate at various grades, So like, the jury's a little bit out on that, still just a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's like they tend to find that, like for really high performing students with really high expectations, up to two hours you might see some benefits. And there was like some thing specifically showing that if you spent up to around an hour on like math, for example, then they reliably retained that better and better on academic tests. But again, you do reach a point of diminishing returns. By the time you're passing two hours, it's starting to plateau and maybe even decrease the likelihood that they'll show high levels of performance subsequently to the time spent on homework. So and even then, like the quality of the homework is so important that it's more about how what are they actually getting out of this assignment, not how much time did they spend on it, although spending too much time is pretty much always going to have adverse impact is what the science shows, right, So what do we think is the verdict here on this whole idea of homework or no homework?
Speaker 3: I mean, it sounds like a little bit might be fine too much as a problem. It should be well designed. I mean it sounds like if you account for all those things and it's very intentional. I think if it's well designed and it's like and it makes sense for the student, then I think it should be considered. I don't think it should be part of a grade because I think that's unfair for those students to have those disparities. I mean, that's the way that I would look at it, just to kind of like balance that playing field a little bit.
Speaker 2: That's totally fair.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, if you consider what is the point of homework, I think there are parents and administrators who think that the point of homework is to do busy work.
Speaker 2: They just want these kids to be busy all the time.
Speaker 1: But I think that if you think about the point of homework is to ensure that they get there was insufficient practice that was done in the classroom and that to be able to move at the pace that they need to move, that that requires a little bit of extra work, and therefore the work that they're given is designed to bridge that gap.
Speaker 2: Then it probably makes sense.
Speaker 1: But again it's like, can we also need to create the system so that everyone has an equal opportunity to have participated in this meaningfully right? And there might have to be either considerations around like some people just don't have the situation where they can do homework, or else we just create dedicated time in school. It is like, there's extra practice time now because we know that that way everybody has a relatively even access to this, and there should be enough extra time to bridge whatever gap we couldn't do in the time that we had, right, So that would be my thought on that.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's not that.
Speaker 1: No homework is necessarily like the gospel, we need to go that direction. But I do think that we should be mindful and intentional around the homework and consider to spare that might exist in those systems agreed, perfect, all right. If you have thoughts on homework you would like to tell us, you can email us directly, write us an info at wwdwwdpodcast dot com, or we just on the social media platforms and we do look forward to hearing from you. If you would like to support us, you can leave us a rating and a review, like subscribe or join us on Patreon, and if you do that then you get bonus content, add free episodes, early episodes, and I'll read your name in the list of names of people who support us at the end of our full length discussions which come out on Wednesdays. Thank you so much for recording with me today, Shane.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you to my team of people.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else that I missed or that you'd like to add before we sayah goodbyes. Nope, I think I did not also say thank you all for listening, So thank you all for listening. But otherwise, this is Abraham and this is Shane. Why we do what we do Mini is out.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Why We Do what We Do.
Speaker 3: You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to wwdwwdpodcast dot com thanks for listening, and we hope you have an awesome day.