Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance. Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardian's Weekly. Jim Rosen house along with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland, where this week the Guardians are taking on the Texas Rangers. This is just the start of a huge home stand for Cleveland, not only standings wise in the American League Central Division and competition wise, but it's the longest home stand of the season with three against Texas. Then Monday, Kansas City comes in for a huge four game series that begins with a day night doubleheader on Monday and the homestand concludes next weekend. Pittsburgh comes to town for the first time in a while, as they'll be in town Labor Day weekend before the Guardians head out on the road on Labor Day to take on those same Kansas City Royals. Coming up on our show today, we will hear from Robsorfolio, the director of player development for the Guardians, a minor league report. We'll also visit with Guardians players Andre Simenez, Lane Time, Honest, Daniel Schneman and Connor Gillespie. But first our weekend review, and we begin with one of the wildest games of the season. After a Monday off day in New York, the Guardians and Yankees began their series on Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium. Four hours twelve innings, action packed throughout. The Bombers showed up in the first inning for sure, as both Juan Soto and Aaron Judge hit solo home runs to put New York on top two nothing, but the Guardians got one of those runs back in the second inning, two men on and bow Naylor at the plate. Now the two zero Naylor Bangs won the first. Pat Kenneby Lemayhew comes home with the throw head first, slide Noel out of the plate. He said, I got my hand in ahead of the tag of Trevino, so we'll see what Cleveland elects to do close set the plate. He snuck that right hand in. Cleveland's challenging the call at home plate. The call's been overturned and safe at the plate is John Kenzie, Noel and Cleveland's on the board. They trailed two to one. Naylor will be at first with his thirty fourth RBI on the fielder's choice. Then in the third walks to John Kenzie, Noel and Andre Cemenez set the table for Daniel Schneman. Now the O two swung and ripped into right field. That's a base h Noel around third. He will score the tying run in a rundown between first and second is steaming and nobody's covering second. Steaman goes to second, nobody tagged about. The game is tied at two. Sneaming on a No two pitch single to right field. Noel scored easily from second. In the fourth, it was Brian Rochio leading things off with a blast. Here's the one zero and that swung on and lifted high in the air, deep right center. This has a chance back at the wall, judge, but it's gone into the bullpen. Home run Brian Rochio, and just like that, the Guardians have taken a lead for the first time tonight, three to two Cleveland. Rochio with home run number six, driving that one high in the air into the Yankees bullpen beyond the wall and right center. But the Yankees came right back with a run in the bottom of the fourth, and we were all tied up at three. We move ahead to the seventh, New York trying to break the tie, but the Guardians defense would not cave gant Us into the wine. Gant Us with the delivery a swinging a line drive to center, angling toward left center, running diving, Steven made the catch Daniel Sneeman that might be a game saving catch. A line drive the center that was slicing away from Schneam as he angled toward the gamp and back and at the last moment was parallel to the ground with a diving extra base robbin catch. And then in the eighth the Yankees threatened again, but once again it was one of the top defensive teams in baseball. The Guardians, who were up to the challenge. The bitch swung on sock to deep center, back of steaming track at the wall, leaps us off the top of the wall, ricchetes to Kwan hitting third, being waved home and stumbling as Grisham throw to the plate wide slide tag got him anyway, Oh my, Grisham was stumbling coming around the bases, and even though the throw was up the first base line, Naylor made the catch and still get the tag on the sliding Grisham After a scoreless ninth inning, the game went to extras where both teams would fail to score in the tenth and the eleventh innings, so it was on to the twelfth. Daniel Sneaman was the runner at second base beginning the inning, and Lane Thomas was called on as a pinch hitter to get it started. Two and two. The count on Thomas. Here's the pitch swung on, drill deep right field, down the line, fair ball two bounces up against the wall. Sneaman will score Thomas with a double and his first Darby I as a Guardian, and the Guardians take a four to three lead here in the twelfth and that sound you heard was a thousand pounds coming off the back of Lane Thomas as he headed to second base. Still in the twelfth, runners on the corners and won out for Jose Ramirez down the seen and the pitch swung on grinding up the middle base, hit center field. That'll score Thomas Kwan, big turn. He will hold it second and the Jose Ramirez comes through with RBI number one oh one, and there's the multiple run ending for Cleveland. They now leaded five to three. Then Tyler Freeman followed with a walk to load the bases for David Fry. Tonkin's ready hands just below the chin the pit swung out a flare headed toward right on the run, diving a Soto can make the Cats gets fire him in the roll of the wall that is going to clear the bases. Kwon Ramirez framan all, scoring Fry and sliding with a triple.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: It is a three run triple to right center by David Fry, and the Guardians have blown it open with five runs here in inning number twelve and now leaded eight to three. And then John Kenzie Noel got in on the fun. Noel hits a week chopper to first charge by Lemayhew no play anywhere. He feeled it near the mound in the scores, Frying Noel with a single, and the Guardians have scored six, and the Guardians now lead nine to three, and the rest of the fans that are here are letting the Yankees hear about it. In the bottom of the twelfth, Aaron Judge drove in two runs with a double to make it nine to five, but that would be enough, as Scott Barlow was on to finish things up two down runner at third twelve. Thenning, here's the pitch, swung and smashed the first gottled up by Noel. He'll go to the bag himself. Bowl game. What a bawl game.
Speaker 3: What a win.
Speaker 1: In twelve, Cleveland knocks off the Yankees nine to five, again one of the wildest games of the season. Tuesday night in New York, a twelve inning, nine to five Guardians victory. And that was it though in terms of wins. This week is Wednesday. The Yankees wonted eight to one. They shut out the Guardians six nothing Thursday afternoon. In the return home on Friday night, the Guardians lost to the Rangers by a score of five to three. Things are tightening up in the American League's Central Division. Stay with us when we come back. We will hear from Guardians Go Gloves second basement, Andre ci Menez. That's next the Cleveland Clinic, Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 4: When you switch and save with Progressive, you could use that money towards going and see your favorite team in the playoffs. Progressive cannot guarantee that you can go see your favorite team in the playoffs. Drivers who switch and save with Progressive could save one hundreds on average. But we cannot guarantee that your favorite team will make the playoffs or if you can finish with a winning record, they could easily lose more than half their games and finish in the cellar because they stink badly and having made the playoffs in years, savings very possible playoffs. Highly double switch and see if you can save at Progressive dot com. Progressive Kenshley Insurance a feeling. It's not available in all states. We cannot be held liable for your favorite teams terrible and frankly embarrassing performances.
Speaker 3: Now forever.
Speaker 1: Boyd's pitch has swung on, grounded sharply the second knock down and shallow right on a dive by Jimenez, recovers and throws half Ardugo on another nifty play by the best defensive second basement in baseball. The pitch swung on, grounded up the middle to his right, sliding back. Had it stopped, he Menez up throwing. He got him again. Man oh man, He's give him the gold globe and get it over with now. No need to wait until the end of the year. And another nice play going to his right with a knee slide and a stop popped up quickly and threw out Bellinger and that is out number one. And the amount of bass its that Jimenez takes away at second base is hard to comprehend. Hearn's ready. Here it comes, swinging a chopper up the middle too his right, a sliding back and a grab. He menus got up and got up. Oh my well, low thought he had an RBI single up the middle. But now with the best second baseman that maybe any of us have seen, as good as Robbie Alomar was, and he was sensational. My goodness. Andre Simenez puts on a clinic night in, night out. Welcome back to Guardians Weekly, Jim Rosenhause, back with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland, where the Guardians are taking on the Texas Rangers this weekend, including Saturday night at seven to ten, the second night of Rock and Blast. Andre Simenez has had such a great stretch defensively, back to back gold gloves at second base and a platinum glove last season, and lately at least heading into the road trip, the last road trip for the Guardians, who was really swinging the bat well, and he talked about what has led to his recent offensive success.
Speaker 5: Yeah, obviously, I've been feeling better last past week, and I feel like it's really contagious when the you know, everyone is getting hits and everyone is you know, putting the numbers. I think it helped me as well. So yeah, I've been putting a lot of work on the cages and you know, I'm able to show what I'm the feel.
Speaker 1: And for you to get to a good place, what has to happen offensively that for you to feel good about yourself when you're at the play.
Speaker 5: I feel good with myself when I'm I'm doing the work with my approach. I feel like when I'm doing it, I'm hitting the ball hard, making good contacts, taking good at best. That's where I feel the best with myself.
Speaker 1: Take us inside a Squeeze play the other night, Bryan Rokio put a bunt down and you scored your responsibility on that play. How difficult is it to make sure you do the right thing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is difficult. Or Or talk to me and he told me, you know, he was maybe you know, some play on it, but just basically reading the reading the play, I didn't expect Rocky Bond, but it was a great Bond and a high IQ play.
Speaker 1: And a Platinum glove a year ago, back to back gold gloves. It seems like you're getting better defensively. How can you get better defensively when when you're already the best? But how do you try and raise your game on defense?
Speaker 5: I try to be consistent, you know. The main thing for me is help the pitcher on the mound. I feel like I take a lot of responsibility on the field to have the pitcher and help the infield as well. So I feel like he's always got he's always chanced to get better. And yeah, I'm trying to work in every day. I try to work every day and you know, if I get better, it's fine.
Speaker 1: And you've had quite a few different double play partners at shortstop. How can you help them as a former shortstop with what they're trying to do and maybe they help you too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they helped me a lot. I've been playing with three different shorts up. Everyone is different, you know, but we work then in spring training, so I had the chance to know a little bit the short stops and uh, you know, they helped me a lot through the season as well. Like couple plays they saved my life and cobble couple double plays, I say their live. So you know, that's that's a good combination that we have to be on the field.
Speaker 1: And I feel like no one has more fun than you on defense because you're always smiling out there. Is that just a really fun part of the game for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I have really, I mean I tried to to really really have fun on the field, but at the same time try to do my job. So that's a good part of my on my game that I can I can have fun and defense.
Speaker 1: Well, it is enjoyable to watch andres thanks love for coming. I appreciate you, never thank you. That is second basement. Andre Ceman is always fun to catch up with him. Our next guest is Lane Thomas, the newest Cleveland Guardian in that lineup anyway, and in our weekend review, we heard the highlight of Thomas's go ahead pinch hit RBI I double in that wild twelve inning win over the Yankees, and we caught up with him the next day as he talked about that pinch hitting role and how he stays prepared, especially in a long game like Tuesday night.
Speaker 6: You know, I think you prepare anytime you know, the starter or whoever the next reliever is, and their pitch count gets to a certain point. So I kind of was they used They used Tim Hill earlier in the game, so I was kind of ready to roll if a situation came up for him, and then you know, you just prep anytime it left he gets up, you know, in my situation coming off the bench. So that's what I did.
Speaker 1: And in this day and age of the new extra inning rules, you don't get to twelve innings very often. What was it like in the dugout? As that game just kept developing and plays were happening that kept it going.
Speaker 6: It's a close game, so you know, I feel like at any point I thought we had a chance to kind of break it open, score a run or two, and you know, and luckily we were able to later in that game.
Speaker 1: When you look at how things are going for you, obviously you're working through some things at the plate. What allowed it to click for you in that bad bad in the twelve thing?
Speaker 6: You know, I don't know if there's a particular thing. I just think, you know, baseball's tough. It's a hard game, and I think you know, when when you go through rough patches like this. You know, you can't really dwell on it too much. You just got to keep working and you know, and good things start to happen that when you're working on things. So I think that that's kind of how my mindset's been through for the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: And Lane and take us inside of a player being traded at explain for fans what goes through your mind and how difficult it can be sometimes to to get it going with that new team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: It's tough.
Speaker 6: You you know, you you got to kind of move your whole life, you know, family and babies and you know, get all your stuff moved. So it's you know, you get thrown a lot at you in a short amount of time to kind of get get ready to go and show up for the next team. But it's been awesome. These guys have accepted me well, and it's been I think a good fit so far.
Speaker 1: And when you say that, what are some of the things that they're able to do to to kind of help you fit in and and feel like you're a part of it.
Speaker 6: You know, like I said, I don't know if there's any any specific things, but you know, just trying to meet everybody, get to know kind of the field, the clubhouse and stuff. And it's man, they're they're they're awesome. They've they've, like I said, accepted me, you know, really well for not knowing me that long. And it's been it's been fun to be here.
Speaker 1: And games like last night, I feel like they've been common this year where uh, somehow someway they pull it out in the end. What have you seen from this team in your short period of time here that that says, hey, this could be a team that could do some special things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like last night at a lot of teams get tired and roll over and you know it's time to go home. And I feel like we kind of fought our way back on both sides of the ball and you know, some relievers through some good innings. I thought Boyd pitched really well for you know, getting to the fifth, sixth inning whenever he came out, and you know, guys came in and shut the door and gave us an opportunity even even though it was the thirteenth inning. It's you know, that's what it takes sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well, Blaine, thanks love for coming, buy a nice calling last night. Thanks awesome, Thanks for having me. That's Lane Thomas, Guardian's outfielder who came up big in Tuesday nights Guardian's victory in New York. Stay with us, We'll have more to come after this time out. Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim rosen House along with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland, where the Guardians are just getting started on what will turn out to be a ten game homestand the second of three against Texas coming your way on Saturday night. Daniel Schneeman, well, he's been putting together some much better at bats of late after a slow stre at the plate, a couple of nice games in New York, especially on the defensive side, and he talked about what was like playing at Yankee Stadium for the first time in his young career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was exciting.
Speaker 7: I My goal every day is just do something to help the team win, you know, and if I'm not swinging out, hopefully I can do something in the field to impact the team. And I'm glad I was able to do that as shit.
Speaker 1: And for you, the experience of playing here explain why this might have been a more special place for you in terms of ballparks in the major leagues to visit and play in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just a lot of history at this park.
Speaker 7: I grew up a big Jeter fan, so just watching a lot of games on TV, watching a lot of playoff games.
Speaker 2: It was just cool to be.
Speaker 7: Here in person, experienced the atmosphere and I'm glad it came out on top of youahterday.
Speaker 1: And you're about as close to the fans as you can get here. With your catch and right field late in the game and then the attempt in center and then another diving catch in center, what was the reaction that you could make out or hear from from them.
Speaker 7: I just heard a big like moan when I caught it, so that was a good feeling. But it was it was so loud, you know, during the game, I couldn't really I know they were chirping me a little bit, but I couldn't hear much.
Speaker 2: So it was fine.
Speaker 1: And going back on balls, I think for an outfielder who doesn't have as much experience as others, it seems like that's a tough one, especially with a wall coming up on you and you came in contact with the wall a couple of times. How do you make that decision to go for it or play it off the wall.
Speaker 2: It's kind of just the read I get.
Speaker 7: If I feel like I'm I'm in a position to be able to make that play, I'll go hard into the wall. It's usually the height if it's if it's really high, but my head, that's when I'll probably make the decision to slow down and play.
Speaker 2: It off the wall.
Speaker 7: But all those balls I got yesterday, I felt like they were catchable.
Speaker 2: So that's that's kind of why I went into the wall hard.
Speaker 1: And Daniel a couple of base hits and Tuesday Night's game, and I know it's been the proverbial ups and downs that any young player goes through. What have you been battling at the plate? And do you feel like you're making some progress here as we get deeper into this thing down the stretch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I'm making progress.
Speaker 7: I just feel like it always comes down to, UH, to my approach and my mindset, just being being aggressive and with pitches in my in my zone and locations that I can handle and not not expanding. Because when I start to expand on fastballs and off speed, that's when I get into a lot of trouble, So I've kind of I know I'm going to get attacked with a lot of offspeed early in the accounts, and and so I think the goal is to, even though I know I'm gonna get those off speeds, still try to lay off them if they're not in my zone. And then hopefully if if I'm aggressive to to pitches in my zone, I'll be able to hit the fastballs and hit through the offspeed as well. So that's kind of gonna be my approach going on.
Speaker 1: And you put that approach together, the flip side is you're facing the best in the world on the mound. How much different is it at this level than anything you've seen before in your pro career.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just their ability to stick to their plan. You know, they know what they want to do. And that's like the biggest difference that I've noticed is it's not the stuff, it's it's really just the way they execute, and so you just got to be ready. They make fewer mistakes, and you got to be ready for those mistakes. And so that's that's what I'm trying to do with the play, is just to be ready for those.
Speaker 1: The series against the Yankees. I thought it was interesting before the game yesterday, you said, Hey, you know there's some history here and recent history with players who've been here the past couple of seasons. How much are you aware of what's gone on between these two teams, be it a playoff series in twenty twenty two or or some things that happened in the regular season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I remember watching all of it and I got a little taste. But when I ran into that Walhart and Center, they did not care one bit. They were chirped me. They started chirping me even more after that. So it's just something that you know, we can come to expect when we come here, but you just try to block it all out and do everything you can to help the team win.
Speaker 1: Heal nice going the other night. Thanks a lot for coming by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That's Daniel Sneaman, Guardian's utility man. Had a really good series against the Yankees in New York, and that was a thrill for him growing up as a fan of Derek Jeter and other Yankees and then finally getting to play in that stadium growing up in the California area. Obviously, he never had a chance to go there as a kid, so that was a thrill for him. Earlier this week, Connor Gillispie got a thrill also. He pitched in Yankee Stadium and through three strong innings in relief on Thursday. It's been quite a season for Gillespie, who made his major league debut earlier this season. He was called upon this week to provide some depth in that Guardian's pen, and he talked about that roller coaster ride that he's been on since joining the Cleveland organization.
Speaker 8: It's been a lot of fun. Man, It's definitely been new, but it's been a lot of fun and definitely worth it, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: And when you look at some of the things that are happening for you in this organization, how has Cleveland helped you become the best picture you can be?
Speaker 8: Yeah, They've held me a time, especially on the mental side, just like learning how I need to pitch, what I need to do, and how I need to elevate my game to be a big leaguer. And they they've really helped me a lot.
Speaker 1: And when you talk about that, what are some of the things that have been especially helpful for you?
Speaker 8: Just it's all mental, really just like making the right pitches at the right time, putting it in the right locations, being smart with who you got up to the plate, stuff like that, like stuff you know, but just kind of reiterating it. And up here it's the highest level, so your mistakes get maximized.
Speaker 1: And so you say that, and it seems like you have put that into play because both appearances you've thrown the ball extremely well, and certainly Thursday on the huge stage at Yankee Stadium. Is it harder to to do it when you get up here and still try and maintain some of the things that you know you have to do.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when So it's funny you say that when you're in the bullpen before the game. For me, at least my first two appearances, I was nervous until I started throwing. And as soon as I started throwing, I was like, it's just baseball, man, Like you got it, Like relax And so that helped a lot. Knowing my pre preparation breeds confidence, you know, so the more you prepare, the more confident you are going into the game.
Speaker 1: So with all that said, you get to pitch here in your first outing and then in New York at Yankee Stadium in your second outing. What were those experiences like in terms of being able to soak that in if you could at all.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was awesome. I mean, I've watched endless Yankee games growing up. Just I was a big Jeter fan too, so my mom actually took me to that stadium when I was ten years old. So it's cool just revisiting and seeing how different it was. And it was also fun being the clubhouse. It was a very unique clubhouse. Was a great experience.
Speaker 1: Connor Gillespie joining us part of that Guardian's bullpen, a great bullpen. So you walk right into this pen that never gets up runs. It seems the best in baseball throughout the season. What's it like down there? What is their special sauce that allows them to get it done?
Speaker 8: It's is grit many just a gritty bunch. Seems like they just do their stuff and stay after, you know, like do their job. That's the main role. And that's what I've tried to do to come in, just do my job.
Speaker 1: So looking back at your background, if you've been a starter most of the time, but your coach in both high school and prior to that, one of the great relievers in the game really during his era. Tell us about who that was and how he helped you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Billy Wagner soon to be Hall of Famer. I hope allys and he deserves it. But he's the best man. He helped me so much just preparing me. Really, he didn't even care about winning in high school. It was about the next level, like what do you need to do to be the best? And I can't thank him enough for what he's done.
Speaker 1: And kind of a cool situation. You had a chance to make your major league debut this season and a good buddy of yours is his son and he's playing for the Blue Jays now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Will made his debut about I think it's a few days after me, and we were the first two in our high school history to do that. So I thought it was really cool, really special. We've both worked extremely hard and I'm glad he's there.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 8: He deserves every bit of it.
Speaker 1: Another example of why baseball is a great game, right there. Connor, thanks for coming by.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, appreciate you, man.
Speaker 1: That's really pitcher Connor Gillespie. Great story from him and some neat background things for him and He's going to enjoy this as long as it lasts, as he's a part of this ball club, at least for now. Heading into the weekend series against Texas, stay tuned. We'll have more to come our final segment after this time.
Speaker 4: When you switch and save with Progressive, you can use that money towards golf lessons to become a scratch golfer. Progressive cannot guarantee that you will ever become a scratch golfer. Scratch golfers are really really good drivers who switch and save with Progressive. Good save one hundreds on average, and sure you could put that money towards lessons. But if you can't hit the broadside of a barn and think you're going to become a scratch golfer, your delusional. Sorry, just telling it like it is. Savings. Maybe scratch golfer, don't hold your breath. Switch and see if you can save at Progressive dot com Progressive Keshley Insurance in affiliate. It's not available in all states. It's universally accepted that golf is hard. Progressive cannot guarantee improve performance on the course.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhaus back with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland, and we finish with our weekly farm report. Robs Orfolio, the director Player Development, joining us and we're talking Columbus this week at the Triple A level. Gabriel Arias is a name that has really seemed to be standing out at the Triple A level. After spending much of his season in the big leagues, he was sent down to Triple A and Rob talked about what's led to Arius's turnaround at the plate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, these are tough ones, right, A guy comes down and they're usually not very excited about that, go figure. But on our end, when guys come back, like trying to have clarity on what the vision is to get this guy to be back up there and contributing to, you know, winning baseball at the major league level. And you know, I think a lot of credit goes to Voter and his his staff, and then our group in Triple A and our coordinators that help support these transition plans to have clarity on what we want to work with with with Gabby on and and to his credit, he came in ready to work and the hitting group in particular has been just trying to to work with him to have his best skill sets show up more frequently, which is I think people have seen how how much of a charge you can put into a baseball and from a mechanical standpoint, hopefully allow him to showcase that more consistently. And it's just been a great team effort with everyone in the big leagues to our entire group and Triple A and like I said, our coordinators around that, and then obviously you know, gave himself coming ready to work and and UH and be willing to test that in gameplay and Triple A to try and get back to the big league. So it's been exciting that that's shown through as quickly as it has, because sometimes that's not always the case, and you know, the player has to trust that process for a longer period of time and and hopefully we can continue to see great results with some of the things behind the results that are that are you going to lead to long term.
Speaker 1: Success without getting two technical How significant are those mechanical changes and where are those mechanical changes happening for him that have seemingly freed him up to go ahead and produce some numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's not a it's not where of the things where it's a complete you know, swing adjustment right, And you know, we took a couple of days to orient him towards what our best guest was and spent some real time working with with Junior Betansis and Mike Mergenthaler, our two hitting coaches there, and Grant Finker, our hitting coordinator as well. And yeah, so just just some small things with his setup in his hands and you know how that allows his path to work behind it, and not a complete overhaul by any stretch of the imagination, but something significant enough where we wanted to put in multiple weeks towards it.
Speaker 1: Rob Sir folio joining us. He's the director of player development for the Guardians. Chase the latter is at the Triple A level. He gets that call what made made it the right time for him to get up and be challenged at that next higher level for him.
Speaker 3: This is a guy that did some pretty impressive things in spring training I think probably is as most fans remember, and you know, had had a great stint in the Fall League beforehand, so we were really excited about, you know, the twenty twenty four season. Unfortunately just ran into some some injury bumps along the way, but you know, Chase got healthy in Arizona. You know, he busted his tail to get back and you know, was starting to do a lot of the same things we've seen him do previously in Double A, and that's control the strike zone and and really put charge into the baseball when he was putting the ball in play. And you know, he's coming off a couple of really impressive weeks performance wise in Double A, and we had an opportunity for him to go up to Triple A and and play consistently in the outfield, and that's exactly you know what we've been able to do so far, and just a couple of games under his belt, but you know, we're excited for him to continue to get those reps up there with with Andy Tracy and crew.
Speaker 1: Kyle Manzarto has had success at Triple A before and a spent most of a season now down at Triple A Columbus. From a growth standpoint, what have you seen from Manzarto as he tries to get back to this level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, in a lot of ways, he's he's been the same guy that he was before that call up. You know, I think it's you know, think about the making that that first transition in the big leagues is hard, and then you know, spent a lot of time in a dhroll, which was an adjustment for him. And we've tried to, you know, get him more of those reps in Triple A so that he can be prepared for whatever role comes back. And you know, honestly, I think it's just one of those things with a young player that the first time they go up and face major league pitching is I think it gets lost sometimes with how difficult that adaptation is. And you know, I think he's been continuing to work and the finding skill set for that next opportunity.
Speaker 1: And one Brito another name we've heard a lot about. We've seen him in spring training, a full season at Triple A and and what's some of the progress that he's made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just you know, continuing to get better from both sides of the plate. And you know, this is another guy similar to Angel Martinez last year, we've challenged with some versatility and you never know where that opportunity and in the field or in the lineup's going to come from. And so we just want to have as many of our guys ready to go up there and help our major league team win. And I think, you know, really worked a lot on his right handed swing in the off season. We challenged him with that to try and make him a complete hitter from both sides of the plate, and he's done just that and just continues to work and wait for his opportunity to be called and hopefully, you know, hopefully we get to see that at some point soon. But you know, Brito's doing everything under his lotus of control to be ready for that when it comes.
Speaker 1: Rob Sorfolios joining us. We're talking Triple A Columbus, the players and pitchers who are this close to the major leagues and hoping to get here. At some point we'll transition to the pitching end of things, and in that bullpen, Andrew Walters a big spring for him in very limited time, but certainly left an impression and has earned that promotion from Double A to Triple A. What are you seeing from him? And are the steps now just about complete where he's just waiting for that opportunity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think so. And you know, first off, for this guy's a first year pro and so for him to and I think just use zoom out, and you think about how difficult that is coming from college baseball or the season so much shorter. You know, all your innings in a week come over like a two or three day stretch usually for weekend series in college baseball. And you know, just talking to Walt about that adjustment, both from the mental and the physical side, he deserves a lot of credit and so does our pitching group with how we've managed his innings and trying to have him peek down the stretch here just just in case his name is is is called down here in September to try and help us in a playoff push. So really it's just been trying to be smart about his usage and continue to progress his arsenal, especially on the secondary side. I mean, we got this guy out of Miami and we all knew the strikeout numbers and how quality his fastball was, and you know, being able to adjust to the Major League baseball and Triple A and us challenge him with some of the things that we have from a plan of a tap standpoint, while also continuing to refine his slider and change up around his fastball, which has been really dominant at times. So you know, an exciting, uh, you know, another exciting reliever that has really been impressive in his first go at pro ball.
Speaker 1: And one final name to talk about, very familiar obviously to Cleveland baseball fans. We've seen Logan Allen come up make a couple of starts after he had been sent to the Triple A level. Tristan McKenzie about the same time, was sent down to the minor leagues. And how has t max progress been and what are you seeing from him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean, first off, he's been just a tremendous teammate and contributor to that clubhouse. And again, it's it's tough when those guys get sent down, especially you know, we talked about Arias earlier and TMAC, guys that have been up there and spent real time in the big leagues and coming back down, reorient reorienting themselves to some of the challenges that you know, we task these guys with to get back. And with t Mac, it's been you know, strikes, it's been slighter consistency, and he's continuing to work hard on those things just like he did when you know, he was a prospect coming up. And so I think, you know, credit goes to his mindset, and obviously we brought in some veteran guys around the trade deadline. So really it's just again working on all those things so that you're ready when when that phone call happens to go up there and go up there and have success. So we're just trying to use every day to our advantage to be specific with the things that he's working on, but also like putting in, you know, real deliberate effort so that he's ready when you know when and if he gets that phone call back up the big leagues.
Speaker 1: Well, Rob has always appreciate the insight. We'll catch up with you again soon. Thanks, Thanks Rosie. That's Rob Sortfolio, the director of player development for the Guardians. A lot of good stuff there on some players who might be in the picture down the stretch for Cleveland, we'll see as they are trying to hang on to their lead in the American League's Central Division. That's going to do it for our show this week. We will join you next week from right here in downtown Cleveland as the homestand will continue next weekend with Pittsburgh in town. Until then, thanks as always to Brian Motse for all of his help and putting together our show. This is Jim rosen House reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio netword. Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance