Speaker 1: Thank you for joining me on a commitment to reality. I had a fantastic conversation with Frederica Matthews Green and I can't wait for you to hear it right now, all right, Frederica.
Speaker 2: Hie Hi, Dave, it's good to see you.
Speaker 1: Again, So good to see you. I'm so excited to do this, and I'm so excited to do this with you. Before we start, I just want to start by thanking God for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, Thank you, dear Lord.
Speaker 1: And from the moment that we met, you've been so encouraging to me. If I ever have any questions, You're gracious with your time, and I couldn't think of a better person to start this journey with.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Dave. I'm honored that you would choose me to start the journey. I hope I can be as good as you apparently think I am.
Speaker 1: We'll see now, and I had a different way that I wanted to start, but just out of curiosity, what went through your mind when you saw the phrase a commitment to reality?
Speaker 2: I thought, I'm not sure what that means. I thought as an Orthodox person, I guess actually, as almost any Christian these days, we are seeing the decline of scientism, as if science cancels God, that idea is on its way out. But unfortunately, the new idea coming in is people are crazy about going to haunt houses, using tarot cards and crazy things like that. So what we would hope as Christians is to draw them to actual reality, where the spiritual realm is definitely real, and it infuses our entire material realm. It's around us all the time. Evil forces are seeking to influence us. It's good to be aware of that. So when I think of reality, I think that's what reality is. And here we have the whole culture on this kind of making this sudden turn from science as God to anything goes and let's play around with it. And we're trying to halt them right there in that foreigner and say, let's pay attention to reality. Let's make sure you know what you're getting into. Is that what you had in mind, because as I said at first of that, I'm not sure what that means. I'm just guessing that's what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, there's a lot there. More than anything, I think the vital word is commitment, because reality exists whether you accept it or not, and we live in this time where people are so scared to challenge somebody else's conception of reality. Right, You've got your truth and I have my truth, and to contradict your conception of truth is anathema. Yes, right, it's offensive. Right, And this whole thing where you know to be loving and kind is to accept. And as parents, both of us know that that's not always loving and kind. No, sometimes you need to rebuke with love, Yeah, but to say that's not really how reality is.
Speaker 2: An analogy that I often go to is if you have a friend or relative whom you really love and they smoke cigarettes, there's an appropriate time to rebuke. You will be doing that in love because you're concerned for them, but they are You can name something they're doing that is harming. So I feel the same way about encountering someone who's using a Weiji board or trying to predict the future. They're doing something that's dangerous. As you say, though, it's offensive when you call that out, and when you deny that everybody can have their own reality. I wonder if it'll just take tragedy, you know, Is it just going to take repeated tragedy for people to understand how dangerous this whole field is and apparently that that's the situation that was going on in the time of the early Church in the Roman Empire, and the thing that was so distinctive about Christians was that evil spirits obeyed them and then in the name of Jesus' evil spirits would flee. But they were already at least to the point where they recognize there are such a thing as evil spirits, and our culture is not quite good in there yet. I think they will sad to say, yeah.
Speaker 1: So, like I said, the emphasis being on commitment was what really drew me in and the phrase caught in my head a couple of years ago. Reality exists and we need to commit to it because if we don't, you know, there's no limit to the ridiculousness of how our lives will be. And I think we're seeing that on some level in modern culture, kind of the listlessness, you know, when you live outside of reality, you know. I feel like I don't think it's out of bounds to say that there's a collective unease that we're all experiencing, that we all kind of can tell that something's not quite right. And I think that my assessment is that we have lost touch with reality.
Speaker 2: Now, as you're talking about this, I think it actually connects to the epidemic of loneliness. That is, if everybody has their own personal reality and they're going to be defensive about that and proud about that, they are essentially rejecting community reality. And that's what you mean by commitment that it's not just a commitment to my own imaginary reality. It's that you and I are facing the same reality. And you know, we can say do you see this going on? And you say, yeah, I see that too. That because we have the mind of Christ, the News of Christ, we're going to see the same things. And I think that's the deeper The thing going on in our culture is people wanted to be independent and not be part of the community wanting to indulge them, and advertising just pushes this constantly. You know, you're this unique individual, so buy this mass produced product and prove how unique you are. It's just crazy, but they are prey to that because it feeds their pride, and I'm afraid it will take some hard lessons before they realize there actually is a real reality and we know it's real because we all share it, and then be attracted back to that. I think that's part of the problem. We're facing. Commitment to community reality, shared.
Speaker 1: Reality, something outside of yourself. You know, we're completely atomized.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, something that exists, just like the visual world out there that we can all agree on this. We hear the same things, our senses perceived the same things. The self indulgence is very, very attractive, but it's important to bond with others. It makes you human and forsaking loneliness to share that commitment to reality. Yeah, yeah, well there's a lot to explore.
Speaker 1: There is.
Speaker 2: What it's going to be a journey, So yeah, you'll be learning more and more about it that there's wisdom there in that little package.
Speaker 1: Well, we dove right in. But for anybody that's not familiar with you, I could sit here and read your Wikipedia and talk about your list of accomplishments and all the books that you've written, and they're wonderful. But I also find that to be slightly reductive. I always felt very uncomfortable with the American conception of when you meet somebody, Okay, you start with name, but then the second question is what do you do too? As though that's who you are? Yeah, and what you've done, what you've accomplished, is noteworthy, but I don't know that that's exactly what you would contextualize as who you are. So if you could introduce yourself to the audience, what's your story?
Speaker 2: I've always felt a little sympathy to that question what do you do? Because I think it what it really means is what are you interested in? What do you like, what attracts you, and what you do to make money and pay the bills may not be that thing and may be something totally different. So if you if the question were something like what is dear to your heart? I would say, for me, it's the Lord Jesus Christ. I was very antagonistic to Christian faith in college and in high school, and I had a very dramatic conversion where I was when I was touring Europe. I was in a church. I looked at a statue of Jesus, and you know, he just spoke to my heart so suddenly and so profoundly that I'm like, I'm like an addict, I like I need more Jesus all the time. And I realized that that was not only a miracle, but that somehow changed too. I was what I care about what I love, what's dear to my hearts. It was like being struck by lightning, I guess. And so the thing that's most important to me is the Lord Jesus Christ and getting closer to him. You know, I am not just reading about Hi'm not just reading theology, but somehow in my prayer life getting closer and closer and closer and imbibing more and more of His presence. I really am an addict, I guess. So that's the most dear thing to my heart. And then second would be from the time, even when I was a kid, I knew I wanted to be a writer. I just loved writing. Anytime a school assignment required it, I loved words. I left learning more words and learning what they need. Then, I guess from the time I was twelve, I knew professional writers what I want to do, and I've been blessed that I was able to do that. As you were saying, I've written eleven books and updated my vita here. I can't believe this, really, but when you count them all up, I've published eight hundred and ninety five essays in The Washington Post, the Philadelphia Inquirer, Smithsonian almost got something in the New York Times once, but just about all of this done. Yeah, well that's true. And the editor filmed me and said, I really worked for this, and I'm very disappointed. It was an essay that was published by National Review eventually, and the title is Let's have more taine Pregnancy, And so with that attention getting titled, you'll find it on my website, frederickamging dot com. I had so much fun writing. I always had, so that is my primary public identity. And I've also done a huge amount of public speaking, almost seven hundred events. I don't want to do as much as that. I'm old, and you know what it is. It's not the speaking, it's the airports. I've just come to hate air and now I live in a tiny town with a tiny airport and it's even worse. So writing and speaking kind of went together. And speaking was great because I try out things on an audience and see how they responded. So those are the things I do. But the thing I love the most is this incessant attraction to know Jesus better, and the Jesus Prayer has been an enormous help for that. It has changed and changed over the years, and I've learned more and more about how to get closer to Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've used both of your gifts, writing and speaking to share that passion, and you really do have a gift for both. I was introduced to you first through your books and then through your person and then some speaking. And I've joked to you that you could read the phone Book and it would be at the very least comforting. Smoothie.
Speaker 2: People tell me I have a comforting voice. Thanks, PETERA. Goad. I'm glad I do. I When I first met you, it was at your dad's chrismation, and it took you a few more years and your sister and but I was there for that crismation. When I met you, I just sensed that I think. I came home and I told my husband that son named Dave, he has a lot on the ball. You know, he's going to really produce something and expand and be really worth listening to. So I saw that in you from the first time we met, as busy as that begend was.
Speaker 1: Thank you for saying that. I appreciate it. I want to start by telling you a story. It has to do with podcasting. Years ago, when podcasts were a little bit less ubiquitous than they are now. There weren't as many, and so I remember I listened to Tim Ferris and his podcast, and you know, generally speaking, you know what you're getting. And then an episode came through and it was Tim Ferris with Glenn Beck, and I thought to myself, I don't want to listen to this. I hate Glenn Beck. And then I started to think, well, I don't really even know Glen Beck, but I've seen him on TV. He's kind of angry looking and yelling or frantic about something. I've seen his face plastered on books as I walked through the airport, and he has this smarmy look. And why would I listen to a podcast with Glenn Beck? But I did, and an interesting thing happened. I don't remember much of the podcast in terms of what they talked about or the substance, and I remember thinking, Wow, I had completely made a caricature of this person. And some of that is his own fault, because he's a public person, and that part of that is a caricature a mass. Yeah, But through the process of listening to him and his life, and I think that's the beauty of podcasts and conversation period person to person is you start to realize more and more about somebody. You start to see their humanity as opposed to the caricature. And as the process of listening to him played out, this idea of him started to change in my mind and I started to develop a warmth to the point where now if I see him, I still don't know that much about him, but his face pops up on the internet here there on Twitter, and I don't feel that same disdain, even though I don't remember much of what he said, although I do remember one thing, and I want to ask you it. Because I listened to him, my whole view changed, which is the benefit of actually listening to people instead of just projecting what you think they are. Yeah, and he said something, And for years after that it was one of those questions that when I met somebody for the first time, I thought, Okay, well this is really incisive. This gets to the core of who somebody is. He said, I like to ask people how is your soul? So, Frederica, how is your soul?
Speaker 2: It's a wonderful question. My soul is content, and my soul is joyous because my prayer times just get better and better. I've gotten to the point where I have I don't know how many prayer times in a day, but in the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of the night, I get up and say the Jesus Prayer, with the Prayer of and all the other ones. It's like I'm always being brought back into the presence of the Lord, and I love him so much, so that gives me contentment. Other than that, things in my life and my family, my health, oh pretty good. I feel like I'm being given time to prepare for debility and maybe dementia, and I don't know what I'm going on a ride that the Lord's going to take me on. So at seventy three, I'm looking down the years and you know, maintaining the strength to go wherever he wants to take me. So yeah, contentment, I think is the main thing.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting because I started to think about that question, or I started to think about Glenn Beck in that situation, and that situation of being exposed to somebody and having your mind changed through actually listening to them, and you know, it's funny, I completely forgot the question. For years. I would ask people, how is your soul?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it had morphed in my mind to a question that you answered when I asked, who are you? What's your story? A question that what I remembered him saying was what makes your heart sing?
Speaker 2: Hum?
Speaker 1: And I used to ask people that quite a bit as well, because I think, you know, okay, yeah, you might do this to pay your bills, but what makes your heart sing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then the follow up question was what breaks your heart? So you answered what makes your heart saying without me asking. I wonder if you'd answered the second part, what breaks your heart?
Speaker 2: What breaks my heart is usually hearing of someone else's trouble, and sometimes I feel like I hear something. And first time I met my new GP, my PCP, here in the mountains of Tennessee, I was sitting waiting for her, sitting on the table using my prayer rope, and when she came in, to my vast surprise, she had a prayer rope around her wrist and I said, you're wearing a prayer rope and she said yes, A friend gave it to me at my husband's funeral. And it hit me so hard, it was like a donkey kicked me. In the chest and I just went, oh, And I mean, she must have thought I was a nut, but I genuinely couldn't speak for a minute. I just felt so much pain over that, and I do think it took a little a few more visits before she realized I was actually not an insane person. But that's what breaks my heart. Things like that break my heart. Cruelty, you know, breaks my heart when I read about it, and especially I worry about the perpetrator and the state of their soul, and I pray that God will bring them to repentance. It's more things like that. It's more like real people or incidents than the state of culture. Because there's good things as well as bad things happening all the time, and there's so many how to clismic things approaching. We don't know which one is going to hit first. It may make all the other concerns, you know, just wipes them away. They won't matter anymore. So I don't worry about the big things. My heart breaks over these incidents and these human beings.
Speaker 1: One thing that I do want to talk to you about. It might be possible that you haven't seen it, but I think that you agree based on what you said about the atomization the loneliness. I think something that's connected to that is that we've experienced a large degree of social atrophy that we don't even know how to interact anymore. Now. I loathe small talk. I cannot stand small talk, and I think anybody who's meta hanograph understands that we don't like talking about the weather or anything inconsequential. We like to get straight to the big things in life, the existential questions. But I miss small talk because when I'm in the grocery store, I feel like people can't even look at you. I mean, cashiers don't look at you, or they don't you ask them a simple question, and they feel a sense of panic that they have to interact with another person. I've experienced this so often that I feel confident saying it. I'll be pushing the buggy Southerners call it the cart in the grocery store and someone will be standing there needing to get past, but they just freeze. Historically speaking, I feel like we would use words like excuse me or may I get past you, but people just freeze and they stare. And I feel that palpably as a sign of this social atrophy that we're experiencing, that we can't even talk to each other like that, and I fear what that means. If we can't even talk about small things, how are we able to talk about the big things in life, the big problems.
Speaker 2: Yes, and unfortunately people do talk about the big problems in great ignorance and contentiously, and it just makes everything worse. But they don't know how to relate to another human being and have an open conversation where you're willing to take in what the other person is saying. Yeah, yeah, I have seen that and worried about it less so now that I live in Tennessee and in a little town in Appalachia and there is more interaction. We had a funeral. Leaving the church and going the twenty minutes to the cemetery, we saw other cars pull over for us. We saw men get out of their car and take off their baseball cap and hold it over their hearts. I never saw that in Baltimore, never err and even it's a divided highway, even on the other side of the road, they were doing pulling over to show respect for funeral procession. As we went to the cemetery, it still exists in some places, and we do get the chatty you know, cashiers who want to interact and have things they want to tell you. And that's probably one of the last islands where this still exists. It's the screens, isn't it. It's people looking at their screens too much. And something I noticed early, even in the nineties before phones, when it was just computer screens, is that what you see on the computer is so much more exciting than what you see in your surrounding world, and so much more authoritative, it seems. And you're seeing movie stars and famous people, and they're interacting and having conversations, and when you look away from the computer screen, it was all so dull and familiar and pointless. Really, people in your house you see them all the time, the people in the grocery store. They're just the same as yesterday and last week and last year. So I think there's something about the draw of the Internet that is just so much more vivid than exciting the daily life that has seduced people into putting all their energy there in their masks. You know, their persona and even more than their work, you know. I wonder if that's the case, is when people think of who are you really? Their work doesn't really matter that much. For many people, they don't get to earn money at the thing they really love. We who do should honor that and respect that. Well.
Speaker 1: On the internet is one place where people aren't afraid to talk.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's very true, and they get into arguments so fast, you know. I used to do a lot of speaking and a lot of media on the abortion issue as a pro life representative, and I never got One time I was on CNN and it was a half hour show that had commercial interruptions, and I was in the studio and everybody else was in a studio somewhere remotely, and whenever there was a commercial, the producer would come in and say, doesn't that make you really angry? Don't you want to just challenge her? Like, just come right back at her and challenge what she said. And I didn't do that. You know, I was not going to do that. I had the idea that the audience was interested in hearing a conversation between two people who disagreed on an important concept, an important topic that they're both very well informed on. I had that illusion that that's what it was all about. But no, she was right. They wanted to your argument. If they're clicking through the five hundred channels, what's exciting is seeing people who are angry. I just was not cut out to that. So I think that is the model people follow on the internet most of the time is get in there. And I'm sure you've seen the little meme where the guy is this computer and he calls to his wife says, I'll be there in a minute. Somebody is being wrong on the internet.
Speaker 1: I did want to talk to you about your history with abortion, but not talk about abortion, but more so how we can't talk about anything anymore without getting incensed. I mean, a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were sitting and we were talking to somebody on speakerphone, and she started to say something about abortion or her view on some issue that's politically charged, and I remember going and what what? I don't get, I don't care who, I don't care, And I just I feel like we've experienced that so much. Even you know, we lived in a condo when we first got married that faced a courtyard, and let's say we were exposed. Anything we said could be heard by fifteen twenty different condos at the same time, if they were listening well, and if we're talking about you know, who won the game last week? Okay, full volume, but then certain topics take the volume down a little bit and look around, look over your shoulder. And I don't know where we go as a society if we're constantly thinking that way. How can we talk to each other without dehumanizing one another. And the reason I wanted to bring up the abortion topic with you is you changed your mind? Yes, yes, How do we change our minds? And why is it so hard to change our minds?
Speaker 2: Gosh? I wonder if the attachment to being right and believing you are right, because that imagine somebody opposing you and hating you, trying to drag you away. That makes us more polarized in our thinking. And then because you're clinging to this rightness and there's only you know, one or two, there's only black or white, there's only two possibilities, no subtlety. If you step back from your intense position on something, you're just in free fall and enemies are attacking you. I think maybe there's more fear about being open minded than there was then. And of course I've noticed that you have too that it seems like people who hold progressive or even woke opinions feel quite free to express their opinions and those week conservatives, you know, who have to hold back. I read a column in the Washington Examiner by Rob Long, who was a TV producer. He was the producer of Cheers way back when. Now he is in seminary. He wants to be an Episcopal priest. So in as Colin, he said, I was meeting with an old friend and he has gotten into using psychedelic for a trauma healing, emotional healing, and so we were talking about this, and of course those drugs are illegal, but we were talking it full volume. We weren't ashamed of what we were saying. And then they asked me about seminary. And as I started to talk about my faith, I noticed that we both began talking much more quietly. You know, it's illegal to use these drugs, but it's perfectly legal to be a Christian. But we feel like that's the thing that we're not allowed to talk about. So that's that's another part of it. I think. In fact, I was talking to two friends who are more progressive, and I said, I read this really interesting thing in the Washington Examiner, and both of them said, oh, that's a conservative magazine. It was like, I was like, yeah, but that doesn't matter as far as this is consumer's column. But I felt like, you know, it's like cut them off, you know, wipe them off the table. They have nothing to say, they're probably lying. That's hard to feel like you're being silenced for some of the opinions that you hold.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, And I think if I'm thinking back on the context of the conversation that I'm referencing with Emily my wife, I think it was after the Charlie Kirk assassination that was kind of a breaking point for her in terms of I'm not going to be quiet anymore. My wife is very mild mannered. She the last thing she would ever want to do is offend anybody. And it's not as though she's not a handograph by birth, so she doesn't need to get into the existential questions all of the time. Something about that situation and watching it play out for her kind of broke in a good way, kind of like the scales fell from her eyes and she realized that she was kind of being silenced in a way. That wasn't equal in terms of what she was able to share. You said, if you're talking about something that's illegal or something that's socially acceptable, let's say culturally acceptable in the broader sense, then yeah, go right ahead. But once you start talking about your faith or your views, whether let's say it's pro life versus pro choice, okay, the dominant cultural narrative is that pro choice is the socially acceptable, the cool thing. Yeah, the cool thing, because I think a lot of it comes down to influence. And I mean, like I said, this isn't an opportunity to litigate different views on abortion, but more so how we talk to each other. Even the Charlie Kirk became a social signifier of where you stood, whether you were conservative or progressive. But I did notice that a lot of people who normally wouldn't speak out started to speak out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's I think that's the case. And that was when I decided that I would wear this cross every day. I always wore a little cross kind of tucked inside, but I'm gonna wear my beautiful cross just so anybody who looks at me they know I'm a Christian. And something similar happened to me. I was saying, that's what happened to me after the Charlie Kirk assassination. And I wondered, you know, so many Christians all over the country they had a similar kind of like after Bellis struck.
Speaker 1: It just keeps.
Speaker 2: Vibrating and we kept feeling that resonance. But the same thing happened after your dad's chrismation. Because the day he was Chris maiden. Do you remember the sermon? What a sermon? So late in the service, that was when he had your parents come up to be Chris Maiden, and then he preached this sermon. I never forgot, he said, early early this morning. Most of you probably have not heard about it. In Egypt, there was a bust of Christian Orthodox Christians who were on their way on Palm Sunday on the way to the monastery of Saint Anthony to celebrate and to hear a service.
Speaker 1: And when they.
Speaker 2: Got there, the bus was attacked and most of them were killed. And he said, that is the church the Hanographs are joining. It's not about Greek cooking, it's not Greek ethnic culture, it's not about Greek dancing. It is about following the Lord Jesus Christ, wherever you lead you, and it may be leading you into danger, and you have to be willing to go there. It was off, you know, fire breathing sermony my hairstand on end. So as soon as I got home, I thought, I want to get a tattoo on my wrists like Egyptian Christians do. Coptic Christians have a tattoo made or inked hated on their children's right hand anywhere from your wrist all the way up your arm or your hand, and it is to identify them as a Christian. This is an ancient habit because it used to be that Muslims would abduct Christian boys and carry them away and girls too to be slaves, to be sex slaves. Who knew what terrible thing they would go through, but they would always have that cross, and they would always know they were baptized and that they were Christians, no matter what else happened in their life. So I really wanted They still do this. All Coptic Christians have a cross tattoo, and so I got mine because I wanted to, you know, stand in solidarity with them. I didn't want to ask my husband if I could do this. I didn't want to tell him I had a time because I knew he would say, no, you know, he's just more like that than I am. So I waited till he was out of the country, and I had it done while he was in Italy, and then I put it on Facebook, and then I told him in an email and he was like, oh, wow, look at that photo. It looks beautiful. So that was how I got away with it. Every once in a while, I think I want to do something else of this, put something inside it. He says, no, no, you don't need to do anything else. But I did that because of the day that you're dead. Was Chris mate it. It had just as much impact on me as the Charlie Kurr murder. And it seems that we're seeing so many murders of Christians. It really seems like the rhetoric about violence is going up that one more step. We just what can we do except to march into the future as courageously as we can.
Speaker 1: Well, And it's a wake up call that and here we've been afraid of a little side eye when we share our faith a little too loudly at a restaurant or of our you know, and so it is a wake up call to be proud of your faith, to be proud of what you believe in, and to really to actually believe that you can come they why you believe. Like I grew up surrounded by apologetics, you know, the defense of the faith, and I for the longest time I loathe it and I still hold it at arm's length because sometimes it can be weaponized. And that's what I experienced so often growing up. Is and you see these people and this is something that you told me, you said, theologian it means two different things. Often in the West and in the East. Yes, and the West a theologian is somebody who knows about God. And the East a theologian is somebody who knows God. Yes, and you quite often you experience that without them even saying anything about God. It's like the definition of pornography. You know it when you see it, Yes, And you know, I often use that, you know, whether it's crass or not to define whenever I've met let's say it's a monk or a holy man, or even a lay person who just you can tell that they know God. They might not be able to give you a systematic theology. But you meet them and you say, I know that they've been praying. I know. I just know that they know God, whether they know about Him in a way that's acceptable to theologians or apologists. Yes, and that's why I held it at arm's length for so long. But you talk about a commitment to reality. That is where apologetics and understanding your faith is not. It's not blind, right, we do have a reason to believe, and as I've gotten older, I've started to understand that and accept that and kind of wear it outside of my shirt.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think about that sometimes that I tried from many years to figure out what is the difference that I since between Orthodoxy and Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical, non denomination, the whole thing. I mean, there's a way in which all of Western Christianity is alike, and it's something that Eastern Christianity doesn't have, you know, It's like, gosh, we've been separated Eastern Orthodox from Oriental Orthodox like cops Coptic three times longer than Catholic and Protestant have been separated, and yet we are so much one with them. And when I need other Oriental Orthodox. I know it's the same God. I can just feel it. In America, there's just such a wide variety of theology and styles of worship and all that, and yet there is something that they all have in common. I tried so long to figure out what it went, What is it that I'm sensing? And I finally decided it's that in the West they separated thinking from holiness. And it's just what you said, a theologian to somebody who knows a whole bunch about God, and they can talk about God, but they don't necessarily have to be a holy person. They don't have to be prayer. Thank God. In the East, we had all these ways of fencing in the faith so that it wouldn't change that we never got to that point. In the West, there was the Reformation, and it became all about talking about God and arguing about God and use it, weaponizing apologetics and proving that you're right. It became so thinking. Even before the Reformation, going back to the time of Aquinas, you probably know the story that Aquinas had been writing so much. Theology just very heady, very complex. It is still the official theology of the Catholic Church. Is what Aquinas worked out. And yet in the last month of his life, on Saint Nicholas Day, December sixth, he was at the mass, the liturgy, and something happened to him. He had some kind of revelation, and after that he refused to do any more writing. He never wrote another word in his life. And his assistant kept telling him, you need to finish, you know, the works you're writing on. You need to get this done and complete it. And he said, I can't. Everything I've ever written now seems to me like straw. And that's it, really, you know, he came to understand. And I think in the West it's like and what a brilliant guy was, and he was so humble. So now let's read more of the things he wrote. In Eastern Christianity, we look at that and say, thank God, thank God, he saw the beauty of the Lord. You know, he went to heaven embraced by the Lord and experiencing that wholeness. So it's, yeah, that difference between apologetics and rational thinking about theology versus trying to be a holy person. We in the West we tend to say it's it's head, it's intellect versus part which is emotion, and that's entirely wrong. That's not how humans are put together. But we despise emotion as it's not rational, you know, it's like sub push it down. It's not authoritative, it's not important. You know, the thinking is the important part. And it's so so crushingly wrong that that division occurred.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm when it's holistic. I mean, you talk about my dad's conversion and the story that kind of details that conversion is his book Truth matters, Life matters more. And I guess if you were to break it down, life essentially is that the feeling, the experience of God. That's not saying that truth does not matter, right, And I often I think about that a lot in terms of what a couin has said. Everything I've written is but straw, does that mean he wishes he never wrote it? I mean? And how do we handle that because it's it's like our past. Well, sometimes you don't want to wish that something didn't happen, but that's what got you to where you are, and that's what makes you, makes you who you are, and your experience and yeah, so it's it's complicated, but you.
Speaker 2: Know how interjected the whole thing about your your thinking, and then you're feeling. You know, what do you feel? And the tragedy that feeling got identified with emotions. I wont to point out that they're two different ways we use the word feel. We could say I feel happy, I feel dejected, I feel whatever. Talking about emotions, we could also say I feel this cup. This cup feels hard to me. I am experiencing the presence of this little cup here. And I asked somebody who read Japanese, what does this say? It was given to me by friend. It's all advertisements and even there's a phone number for a sushi restaurant in Tokyo. I thought it would be love, joy, all kinds of things like that, but that's all it is. Anyway, when we talk about feeling the presence of God, we're using it in the latter sense. We don't mean we're having emotions about God. I'm thinking about God and I get emotional. We mean, wow, that presence was there and I felt it, in the same sense that I can feel this cup. Yeah. And so that's a big problem I think is that we use the word feeling in two different ways. And one of the ways that people assume we mean. It is one that utterly discounts the feeling that we're talking about. So I try to use sense. I sense the presence of God. I perceive it, I am receiving something. I try to stress the reality of it and stay away from that word feeling because it just confuses things. I think I interrupted you. I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you did all right.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: If there's something that I'm going to take away from our conversation, that's it's a huge thing. The devil's in the details. And that's such an important distinction, right, because emotions are unreliable. They don't always tell the.
Speaker 2: Full story so true, and they change.
Speaker 1: That's why the famous speech that I always give it at weddings is that love is a commitment. It's not a feeling, and it doesn't always give people the warm fuzzies initially. But I say, look, the way you feel is going to change, but your commitment to loving that's what you have to be dedicated to, which you have to say you make those decisions to love the person even when you don't feel that way. Let's say you're upset with them, No, I committed to love them and so it's a it's an important distinction.
Speaker 2: Yes, it really is. And it's that word commitment again, which means a lot to you, doesn't it. It's that solidity and knowing there's the one thing that guarantees that stability is that the person be stalwart and committed to what they believe, and that they will stick by it through thick and thin. This is reminding me of a very ancient prayer to the Virgin Mary that begins under your compassion, we take refuge theo Tokos. This is the earliest prayer addressing her. It was found on a little three by five papyrus in Egypt, and the papyrus states to two hundred and fifty, and so the prayer existed before the papyrus did. We don't know how early, and we still use it. The point I was going to make was what are we calling on when we call on her under your shelter, under your protection, under your power, under your tremendous ability as an intercessor. Now we say under your compassion, because that's where the commitment is. It is in her heart. She is dedicated to praying for us and to loving us. And we can confidently say by the fact that you are compassionate, that you have compassion for us. On the basis of that, we ask you to pray for us. We ask you to take care of us and to solicit the healing that we need or the protection that we need. That's the commitment thing. When people at the wedding reception, when you offer a toast, you're saying, it's the commitment that matters. There's emotion in that, but a married couple of their emotions are going to come and go over the decades. I've been married almost fifty two years now, and certainly I talk sometimes about the day that I was out of town for the weekend and my youngest son went off to college and I came home to an empty house except my husband, and that was one of those moments I thought, he is so boring. Is this going to be it? I mean, the kids, the teenagers, they were so interesting and so lively, and they brought so much new stuff into the house and new ideas, new music, and now it's just him and me.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: Not long after after that, I ran into a guy who'd been married like sixty or seventy years, and he said, this is the best part of our marriage. We are more in love than ever and I am enjoying her more than I ever did. And this truly is the golden years of our married history. So that gave me something to think about, and in time it became true for me and for my husband as well. These are the best years of our marriage. But there sure was a time there where I doubted that. It just goes to show what you say about commitment, that no matter how I was feeling, no matter how my emotions changed, I had already made a decision. I wants her to Priest talk about. He was middle aged and he was getting off an airplane and got into a conversation with the stewardess and she invited him to come back to her hotel room. And he said when I told her, no, I didn't have to make that decision. I had already made that decision on my wedding day. It was already a done deal. And that's that stuck with me. You make that decision on your wedding day, and then the answer is always easy. You always know what it's going to be.
Speaker 1: Well, going back to the Aquinas conversation, real quick, I was just wondering how has your relationship to truth evolved over your life? And the bigger question is how important is getting it right.
Speaker 2: I'm bouncing off the end of that because of the getting it right, I've got it rollam many times in my writing and then my speaking and then my being interviewed and things like that. I've had to rethink things and I've learned work just like you with blund Back, discovering well, there's a whole human being there and I was giving him short shrist. I haven't always got it right, and so I can't blame that. That kind of getting right is at the top of my priority. I'm more wont to be in tune with the presence of the Lord and doing what he's calling me to do at that moment. And I'm also this might sound weird, but I'm also I'm open to being wrong. Like what the Lord is doing, it's huge, it's a symphonic it's involving so many people all over the world at the same time, and it might be my job to say the thing that's wrong that will crystallize for others. Wait a minute, well, now that doesn't sound right, and they bounce off of that and then they find the truth. I'm willing to be the person that gets proved wrong. You know, I'm willing to be the person that says the stupid thing because that, you know, the whole symphony. That might be my role at the moment, and that might be how God wants to use me.
Speaker 1: That's more comforting than you realize. Good because that's well, that's been a huge impediment to my moving forward with doing anything front facing. Is you know, I really take the weight of responsibility for putting anything out there is Yeah, it's and it doesn't come from a place of pride per se. It's just I don't want to say something that's wrong. Well, and I have such a fear of saying something that's wrong. And and what you just said is really enlightening in terms of, hey, maybe you'll be the crooked stick that guides somebody to the truth, you know, through something that you said that's incorrect, as long as you approach it with humility.
Speaker 2: As you were speaking, I was thinking about, you know, growing up with your dad, that idea of the inviolability of truth and that truth is is just so beautiful and it is on a pedestal. And we may be wrong right now, but we're getting closer to and we're discarded things that we thought that were wrong, and we're moving ahead. And your dad had to do that with some Chinese Christians, I know, you know, he apologized to them and he admitted that he had been wrong, and that almost reinforces the sense that it is important to get it right because the beauty of truth. And I think where my mind has evolved as an Orthodox Christian is that I see truth as something that is more collaborative and something that exists in the mind of God, and that he has all these Christians all over the world like a symphony, as I was saying, and we come together. We need each other, we need each other's feedback. Truth is not static, you know. I think in Western thought, truth is almost like a beautiful marble statue and it doesn't move, and it's cold, and it is the same through turn that it never changes. I don't I don't want to sound like I'm saying truth changes, but I want to say that it's alive and it changes like a forest, but the forest remains a forest. But because it's alive, you know, it's it's continually growing and shedding and then growing some more. It's beautiful, like the ocean, which is immense and full of life and also changing somehow that's part of its a liveness, and yet it stays the same. I am definitely not arguing, for you know, everybody has their own truth, or you know, truth is going to evolve and will understand it better. I mean I hate that. I hate that idea of truth evolves and we're smarter than people before, and the idea that we're standing on the shoulders of giants and so we see. I just think that's so egotistic and so narcissistic because we're saying, of course we see more than the giants did it. That's just so self flattered.
Speaker 1: I think about that a lot. I really do, because I as somebody who likes to ask these questions, and like I said, quite often I get pushback when I try to go too deep with somebody or to ask somebody, well do you believe in God? Well? How dare you? That's personal? Or or okay, you believe X, Y and Z. Let's let's press on that. Let's let's see if that structure holds right, Let's see what Okay, you said you believe X, but you can't believe X and Y simultaneously. Those are contradicting ideas. So the idea of pushing back on those things is culturally inappropriate a lot of the time.
Speaker 2: It's my reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but historically speaking, I mean, you talk about standing on the shoulders of giants, and we think the way that I look at it that while that can be true and is true on some level, I think that we're a culture of people and I don't know what the time frame would be exactly, but we're born on third base and we think we hit a triple and you talk about the arrogance and the narciss We are standing on the shoulders of giants, but we think we're tall. We think it's all us, It's all about us. This is what I did as though, and in some ways I feel like we may have done less as a as a culture and as a society.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we certainly have less respect for morality, less respect for how humans should interact with each other and what we owe each other. You know, we definitely have no sense of owing anything to anybody anymore. But you know, when you talk about medical science, of course, every generation builds towards the next generation. My grandfather was a surgeon. I have some of his medical school books from the nineteen teens, and the obstetrics book says, never do a cesarean because ten percent of your cesarean subjects patients will die. And that was true, then you know that was reality. Thank god, we have cesareans now and they're quite reliable, and more of them are done than probably should be. But I see what you're saying, because there definitely is a way we are standing on the shoulders of giants. But I think partly that we think and history stops with us. Nobody is going to stand on our shoulders. You know, we're the top, We're the most brainy and brilliant and most advantage.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's where you put your emphasis. We live in an era that emphasizes science. You know, it's the materialist mindset. So in that sense, if you're progressing scientifically and technologically, if that's you're if the scientists and the tech knowledges or your high priests, then maybe that's true. But we've forgotten so much that makes us human. That is this is once again getting back to that is our reality. We are so much more than that. Yes, what do you think a secular myth is that obstructs reality.
Speaker 2: I think the inaccurate view of what science is and what science can do is a big problem for people encountering reality. Have you heard of, probably you have, the replication crisis. The replication crisis. I first read about this in the New Yorker and they were talking about a research scientist who had discovered something and it was published and everybody was so excited about it, and what a great new thing this is. I forget what the field was. And then a few years later he went back and ran the same experience experiment and he couldn't get the same result. He ran it over and over and over, and he kept getting different results. And then, as this article says, and as you can find on Wikipedia, this started happening everywhere that scientists cannot replicate the results of other scientists. It's like science is falling apart. And it says this started happening about twenty ten. I mean they can even date when it began. I recently read a quote from the scientists say saying about, you know, some startling new results, and he said, but the replication crisis is still going on, and we all just pretend that it isn't you know, We pretend that these startling new findings are reliable when probably they're not. So I think that I think this might be the equivalent of the Tower of Babble and God mixing up the languages. I think perhaps about twenty ten, God decided, Okay, I'm going to kick the stilts out from under science, and people still think that it's ultimate reality. That's what you have to go by, and gradually they will become aware of what scientists themselves you're already aware of, which is, there's a problem here, and somehow it's not reliable. We can run an experiment and get results, but we don't know if we'll get the same results next year. So I mean, as awful as that is, I'm kind of hoping that people begin losing confidence in science and that will be one more of the things that are causing this turn we talked about at the beginning, from believing everything can be objective and scientific, and then the way off and outer space where it's all about boards and tarot cards and somewhere in there being able to present the experience of Christianity, perhaps tragically, when people are dealing with evil spirits and their Uigi boards and tarot cards. They're not helping them. But the name of Jesus Christ can help. It can expel those evil spirits. It's going to be a very interesting ride over the next twenty years.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, I mean, how much of you engaged with AI?
Speaker 2: I hate AI. I think it's very dangerous and destructive. I think it may well have evil spirit roots. I have never used it voluntarily. I use Google a lot, and always at the top of the results it gives you the AI results. I try to discipline myself to scroll past that and get the results I would have gotten last year or the year before, and just do my best to work with that. I never want me contact with AI, but I know it's paying attention to me, and that it's using the things I write and say, and that I have no way to stop it from doing that. So yeah, I don't know if you feel as extremely that AI as I do. But I think it's a very bad thing, and I wish I could go somewhere where it doesn't exist. I think the damage it's going to cause is not at all visible yet, but we will find it well nigh irreversible and irresistible. That's what I worry about.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a worry that that I share on some level. It's part of the whole mission of this podcast. A commitment to reality is that AI is not reality, but it's becoming a reality for so many people. I'll tell you a story. It's actually I really will wonder what you think, but don't judge me. So we had this wonderful cat. Her name was Homegirl. She was somebody else's cat and they had to move and we found her on the internet and we brought this cat back home Girl. We were going to rename her, but once you get the name Homegirl, that's sticks. And she was just the greatest cat, so friendly with everybody. She was the neighborhood cat. But she was an outdoor I mean we indoor outdoor, but you could not remove the outdoor from her as hard as we tried. We tried to keep her inside. Now and so she came home, you know, maybe she usually came home every night. She came home after thirty six hours of being gone, and she had something going on with her. And the whole story of Homegirl is not necessary to this story. But long story short, she died, she came back and she had something wrong with her. And we waited and watched for a little bit, and then we took her to the vet and they said, oh, she should be fine in twenty four to forty eight hours. Here's a steroid and an antibiotic. And she died very viscerally in my arms. Emily and I came back from our anniversary dinner. She said, go check on homegirl, and I went to go check on her and I was holding her and she died and it was very gruesome. I mean it was primal. I mean she let out this scream and I was having a hard time processing what happened. And so I'm trying to figure out, Okay, what is it that happened? What did I just experience not emotionally but physiologically, And so I started to going to chat GPT and ask it questions and it is so, let's use the word interesting, interesting. How the developers have into the code or whatever, almost a feigned empathy that this must be so hard for you, and I'm sitting there, Yeah, it's terrible, I mean it was awful, and giving suggestions on and you're thinking this is your fault, So yes, it is. I do feel that way, I feel like there's something that I could have done. Here's why, there's nothing that you could have done. Here's why it wasn't your fault. From a medical perspective, and I have to tell you it actually helped. And I sat there thinking, I had just read a book where the author was talking about a woman meeting with her pastor and talking about her prayer partner, and after a period of time, the pastor realized her prayer partner was chat gbt who.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: You know, I laughed incredulously as I read that in the book. But then I experienced something strange, as I felt that encouragement from an automaton. And I still don't know quite how to grapple with that. Let's call it reality, but it certainly concerns me because I'd like to think that I'm a fairly well grounded, rooted in reality individual, and yet I experienced that, and it was real. It did make me, you know, oh, breathe a little easier, it be a little bit less hard on myself, and it kind of, like I said, it walked me through physiologically what happened. I think we think it was essentially a heart attack, and that there was some sort of an internal bleeding and so on some level was useful, and that's how we kind of have to try to whole it intension. A couple less than two years ago, we went to a conference in Athens on AI and transhumanism. And this conference was sponsored by or the Whole. They sponsored and created the conference Monks Monks on Mount Athos Wow. And clearly they're not on Mount Athos using AI, but out of care for the world, this is their their job. On some level, they felt like this is something that needs to be explored and addressed because it exists. We can't just look the other way. As much as because I share your sentiment, I mean when you talked about what it's like in your town and how you still have some of that small town cultural engagement, I really do feel like the answer to most things is I r L. As the kids say, in real life, it's localism, right, it's talking to our neighbors face to face. But AI exists, and it exists in this way that one of the scariest things is the developers of this technology themselves. They fear it, and yet they can't stop. And what does that say about us? What does it say that, Yeah, we all feel like this is harming us, we all feel like this might not be a good idea, and yet we can't stop.
Speaker 2: Can't stop. Yeah, yeah, we can't stop, in part because we're afraid of China or somebody else somewhere isn't going to stop, and then they'll be in charge and use it against us. It's like the nuclear bomb in that way.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting. I mean, so I didn't think of it this way until you just said that, But I think of it kind of like the two party system in America. How so many people complain about it, and I wish there was an alternative. Yeah, I wish there was a third party or I wish, but it never happens. And I think usually the reason that it never happens is, oh, that third party candidate, if you vote for them, then that person's going to win. So yeah, if you don't go forward with Ai, China's going to win or whatever other country developer. It's unsettling yet interesting to think about.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it really is. To me, it just feels entirely ominous. But maybe that's because I'm old, you know, maybe I've seen too much change, and even like just now, I was thinking, well, how is it different from if it was four years ago and home Girl died and you just researched it on the internet and you found oh yeah, I guess it wasn't my fault. Feel comfort, But it's different when it presents as a human comforting. How about you? I just you know, thinking backwards. What if you talked to the vet and so it was a real human saying oh no, no, there's nothing you couldn't done, or you know, fifty years ago and you went to a medical library and you looked up you know, cap physiology and convinced yourself when there's so many other ways you could have arrived at that point of comfort. How is AI different? Like? Why am I nearly hysterical about this and how evil it is? I don't know. I don't know why. I just feel real bad about it.
Speaker 1: You know. It's interesting is you said I could have gone to the vet, and I was angry at the vet because they told me that everything was going to be okay. Yes, And yet AI kind of presented itself as an authority higher than the human.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And it's almost like I in a short time, I mean, I didn't even remember, Actually, I will tell you it's a pretty interesting first time. I can tell you the first time that I ever used one of these large language models AI. My brother in law is very into it, and he was telling me about it, and so I think I opened chat GPT and I asked, Okay, let's ask it something that I know intimately. Let's see how it goes. I said, why did hank handagraph convert to Eastern Orthodoxy? I tell you, I'm not sure I could have written the response better myself. And that's what now. I couldn't do that with a person on the street. I mean, there's enough information out there about my dad and his public facing persona that you can call and craft. But the specificity and the kind of it wasn't dry, It wasn't just. And this is the interesting thing, And I wonder how much of it is intentional, that this is not just a mere information exercise where you're synthesizing. Like you said, if you were to just use it as a research tool, that's one thing, because on some level that I have used AI, and I really try to be conscientious about how I use it. I was listening to a podcast where it's somebody who thinks a lot about these ideas, and he said, I think that AI is going to create a huge chasm, one a social chasm, creating two classes, creating a superclass who use AI to become much more intelligent, to become smarter themselves because they use let's say they think with AI. They use it as a tool. They don't replace use it to replace their own cognitive faculties. They use it to almost enhance it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the same way that you know, I've heard people say, why are you afraid that this is going to turn us into transhuman cyborgs? We already are. How many of us ever let our phone out of arms reach? It's already an extension, you're just shortening the distance. But then the other superclass that this person was talking about was those who use AI to think for them, who cease making decisions. And you talk about social atrophy. I mean, this is intellectual apathy or atrophy. And I wonder how much of this the developers making it seem human, how much of that is conscientious as opposed to just information synthesization. And you know, because that is promising when you hear that, Oh, if you enter this in this sonogram into the models and it can you enter in thousands of sonograms, then they can find they the AI can help you find patterns that could then predict breast cancer detection. Yeah, at an earlier rate. I mean that seems like a good thing does and it's not something that you want to wish against.
Speaker 2: But and computer, Yeah yeah, well, I guess the thing about combining the sonograms I thought, but couldn't computers do that? Isn't that something a supercomputer? You don't have to have AI to do that. It kind of just makes the question is, well, why are we already our lives are being controlled by computers? Like you say about not ever having your phone out or read? How far back do you want to trace this? You know? An interesting so interesting to me anyway. I read a book about preliterate culture before people learned to read, before most people can read, and it was startling how much difference that technology, you know, because a book is a technology. One of the things that Plato or Socrates now I can't remember, said is that he connected literacy with death. You know, there's a way in which the thing you're dealing with this is a dead thing, because it doesn't move and it doesn't change, and it is. It also means the death of memory. People's ability to remember fell way off when we started being literate, but in every other area of their life, they were so much more immediate to the people around them. The world was so fresh to them. If you've studied scripture, you know the Hebrew word devar means both word and action, and like, how can you do that? Well, if you're not literate, that makes sense. You know, a spoken word makes something happen. That's a very primitive kind of literacy. But it has already deadened astiny some extent. So where are you going to stop you when you start? No libraries, you know, where are we going to stop? If you talk about how literacy, how technology changes us? The big step was, oh, yeah, computers, and now we want to like screech to a halt when we get to AI. Maybe it's just a little late. Maybe it all began thirty forty years ago.
Speaker 1: Do you remember have you ever heard of a book called Future Shock?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, And what you may not know is when it came out in the nineteen seventies you could buy it in whatever color you want. They had different choices of cover color, Did you want the green or the same book inside? And that was like probly just mind blowing to people that you could even do that or that you would do that. And so Future Shock was brought into the human community in a way that was itself shocking at the time. Huh. I haven't read it so long, I don't remember what it says, but it was like everybody was talking about it.
Speaker 1: I have the pink cover. I haven't read it either, but I've read about it and I've seen the I think it's Charlton Heston. Maybe I could be wrong doing almost like a documentary style discussion about Future Shock. And he's walking around a library and talking about look at this, look at the sheer breadth the volumes that are accessible to us, that is shocking us, and that we're like And I remember thinking of, like watching this video on YouTube or whatever, and thinking he has no idea, And then I catch myself wondering, well, it's possible that we have no idea because we're Because I used to feel that whenever I walked into a bookstore, I'd feel this kind of existential angst, like there's so much information here, I'll never be able to access at all. I can't get it all. I want to I want I want to read this, I want to read that, and then you bring that into the internet and now AI that, and I feel like we're all just in shock and we don't really know. I asked my dad when we were preparing for a podcast on AI a couple months ago, and we never, we never. I don't think it was addressed on the podcast, and I wonder if you have anything to say about it. I juxtaposed it with the concept of the Eucharist as the mysterium tremendum at Fischinans might be mispronouncing, but the mystery that causes such us to tremble yet attracts us. Yeah, yeah, and it almost is AI, almost the anti of that. That not I pain to compare the two. Well, yeah, but it's something that causes us to tremble. We all feel this sense of fear, in trepidation, but we can't stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you're just impelled to go toward it, whether we like it or not. And I guess the thing about it is that it presents as a person, and we've never had that before. A technology that presents as a book is nothing like Chad Gid Even if you were able to get exactly the same information out of it, even googling stuff. It's not pretending to be a person. That's the uncanny valley. You know that term uncanny valley. No, it was coined by a Japanese movie director, I think, But it's about the sensation you get when you're watching a movie that is animated and yet it's a little too close to human. Many people feel that way about polar Express, like there's something about it that's a little unnerving because it's not unhuman enough. It's like it's just getting on that borderline, and that's where you feel that trepidation and you feel uncomfortable. It needs to either be totally human or very clearly just animation. I think we feel that uncanny valley with AI because it presents as if it were a human being. And that's that's the difficult thing.
Speaker 1: Is it that much more?
Speaker 2: How does it differ from three years ago on googling something? How does it differ from I see the AI, but I scroll past it. It does differ though, because I'm in charge when I'm googling, and I'm in charge of reading these you know, might be I'm opening books, the book tells me something. I don't know if I agree about it, I'll look at the next one and the next one. But when it's another person, it insinuates itself into our parts in a way, it creeps into us. It elicits truthful answers from us. It's all almost like falling in love, you know. It's almost like this very intimate partner comes into our lives. And that I think is where the uncanny valley is for me, that specifically, that is a human And as you were saying, you know, a cyborg wouldn't be so bad if it looked like No, it's it's the mimicry.
Speaker 1: Like you said that when you're going through Google. I mean I heard it with a slight sense of skepticism. Oh you think you think how naive You think you're in charge, right, you think you're in charge of the Internet.
Speaker 2: But there is some.
Speaker 1: Degree where you're you're using your mind to discern and you're you know, I'm not gonna I'm not going to click on the first one. I'm going to click on this, And you're synthesizing with your own cognitive faculties as opposed to just here we go, chat you and then you read it. In such a short amount of time, it has earned in a lot of our minds a high level of authority.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And whether you see it as a person or not, I can hear a lot of tech enthusiasts and even myself I use it. I really. Let's say I'm trying to edit a paper, right, So what's the difference between spell check on word or pages and me copying and pasting something that I wrote, putting it into a large language model and saying copy edit this and track changes. Right, that's a useful case in terms of AI. And one of the monks said that you know, a knife can be used to butter your bread or to murder your neighbor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And while that's helpful on some level with a high high degree of discernment and awareness and care, I don't think that these tech products are quite this saying, because a knife only has so many use cases, whereas AI and and this tech it's an omni toool where it really, I mean, the use case is almost infinite. And that that also has an unsettling effect because you just keep finding different things and then you keep yourself glued to it. And I can't tell you how often outside of the scientific progress that we've made in terms of health, and I just wish for a simpler time and you kind of want to go off into the mountains. And I feel like so many modern people feel this this push and pull of the noise of news and tech, and they want something that's real. I mean, is is there anything that you think of the like a habit or or practice that you feel like really orients you to reality? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. If you read Matthew Crawford's book The World Beyond Your Head that had a big impact on me when I read it maybe five years ago. He is a professor of philosophy at the University of Virginia, and he also his other line is he makes bespoke motorcycle parts. So if you want like a fancy dragonhead on the front of your motorcycle, he can make that for So it's like, what a weird combination that he says, those are especially those of us who work with our minds. Mostly you need to do something with your hands, and it needs to do something that resists your will. It needs there is something that it's a little bit hard to do. It's resisting your will. For me, that's sewing. I don't make clothing that you know. I make twirly dresses for my granddaughters. Right, I alter a lot of clothing that I buy. It's pretty dress, but it's too small. But I can cut off the skirt and make it a scar. I do things like that, and it sure, this is my will. I talk of that. It so I'm very hard to get the way I want it to be. Yeah, that's how I try to stay in touch with reality. Partly because of that advice in this book, I realized that I'd always been doing this kind of sewing, but I realized that it was valuable to me in a way that I hadn't perceived. And so I I think for a lot of people, it's gardening. You know, that's a getting their hands in the dirt. Is I don't like gardening because when I get my hands in the dirt, there's bugs. You know. I don't want that, eh, worms, yuck. Yeah, people can have all kinds of different hobbies. They may not realize how valuable these hobbies are. Even doing a jigsaw puzzle, it's resisting your will, you know, it's you've got to think about that physical, you know, tangible shape and whether it fits in that hole or not. Everybody should have something like that. I think that does help this and having it's great, you know, to live in your house that you like of you know, that's other you know, physical bodies that you're dealing with. Some people, it's cooking, it could be anything. What is it for you? What do you think of? What is the thing that you work with your hands that it resists your will?
Speaker 1: It's a good question, I guess, you know, growing up in more of a let's say, white collar world where everything is thoughts and ideas and books, and years ago I asked my uncle. I said, I wish I could do these things, you know, I wish I could fix something in the house. And he says, why can't you? Yeah, yeah, it's a lot of that. Just put your head under the sink and try and figure it out. And so ever since he told me that, I've really tried to make an effort to try and figure out where I can be handy, even though I'm not you know, these these are skills that can be learned, but yeah, I'm not sure. I guess one answer would be running. Yeah, like, because I think what you're talking about is feeling your bodily presence in the world, interacting with and when I feel you know, I took a month off of running, and when I first went back out there, it was like thirty degrees and I feel that cold air going into my lungs and it kind of burns, but it hurts so good. And you remember, and I remember listening to somebody talking about their experience with running and how you know, I've never I run five days a week. I'm pretty good at it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I've never experienced the runners high what people talk about or are they just look Even when I love running, I'm always glad that I did it when I'm done, But during it, quite often I think this stinks?
Speaker 2: This right?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: For my kids? So I live longer. And I heard somebody talk about when they run that they actually think about each foot hitting the ground and looking around and thinking, I get to do this, I get to run through it. And often, like if you run in nature, I run right behind my house and we have a beautiful trail that goes through three miles of the woods. And I do that five days a week, and ever since I heard that, I think when it starts to oh the stinks, Oh this hurts. I get to do this and to feel my foot hit the ground and what you talked about, well can I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course in just a moment. How long has it been since you've seen Chariots of Fine? Have you seen it?
Speaker 1: I've never seen it, but it's one of my dad's favorite movies, and I do this is the culture we live and I've never seen it, but I'm aware of it. And I think I actually have an old, faded copy of it somewhere on my shelf.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But when I run, I feel his present, I feel his pleasure.
Speaker 2: He says. This runner who's a devout Christian and who loses his chance to get the gold because they want to schedule the run for Sunday morning, and he refuses to run on Sunday. That's when he is just so his faith is so entwined with this running. And he says, when I run, I can feel God's pleasure, you know, like he made me to do this. Yeah, and I am doing it on his earth, and it just feels like you're just part of this whole interconnected web. I think it may be that you would gain even more from understanding why you run and why that's the thing that resists your will by watching that. It's been a long time since I've seen it. We're trying to watch it with our two teenage grandchildren, who are both runners, but you know whose schedule is going to fit. I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I just want to recommend it to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what you said about working with your hands. There's a book behind me called Are We All Cyborgs Now? And it's by Robin Phillips and Joshua Appalling and Joshua Pauling opens the book with a story about woodworking. And I opened it and I thought, I don't want to read about woodworking. This sounds really boring, but I'm going to do it. It's the first chapter and it had to do with that, and by the end of it, I thought that was brilliant. It's everything that you're talking about. It's like working with something, it's having and through the process of learning. I think his grandfather, if I remember correctly, he was a woodworker, and so he took his old tools and tried to learn how to use them, and just that interaction with our physical reality was so valuable and it grounded you, It rooted you in reality and to fight against it. He talked about how there are modern tools that you can use that'll make everything perfect immediately if you just figure it out there, but there's something different about using those older tools that you have to work and it resists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I wrote a column for Christianity Today about this once, that we live in a world where everything is perfect. Everything we buy is exactly you know on the shelf. The next one is exactly like it. If I broke it, I could essentially get the same one again. And how that bothers us? I think at some level it's like nothing is really person thinking about what it would it be like. I had just gone to an Oriental rud story to buy a rug, and I kept looking through and there were so many perfect ones, even though they were all hand tied. I didn't want a perfect one. You know, a king a thousand years ago would have to be perfect. I wanted one that looked handy, and I ended up with one that where the knots were a little more uneven. Thought, how weird that this is what I prefer is the imperfect pursuit of imperfection. Pursuit of imperfection. Yeah yeah, but I think that's part of the sickness of the modern man, is that everything that surrounds us is perfect, and that at some level that's distressing to us, you know, some level that just doesn't hit us right. And the metal experiment I try to run is imagine that all your clothes were made by somebody who loves you, and not just the stitches one by one, but the cloth itself, that she probably wove the cloth, that she cheered the sheep, and she made the yarn and then she wove the cloth. It just it just goes wow. You know, if everything that you could see was made by a person you knew, it's just mind blowing. And what a richer kind of environment that sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, made by somebody you knew and authority. There's something that I wanted to ask you probably don't remember it, maybe do. Years ago I sent you a news story. I don't remember what the news story was, but for some reason I thought it was worth sending to you, and you told me I don't really follow the news. I have my friend Rod's blog and I get everything I need from there and that's pretty much it. Do you do you remember or does that? Does that track with you?
Speaker 2: It's definitely what I would say. Yeah, yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Remember hearing that and being a reading it and being kind of jealous. You know. I feel like we get so caught up in the news and knowing I think if throw he said something along the lines of, you don't really need to know the news outside of the next town over, you know, valuing the eternities over the times. Yeah, but it's so difficult to you know, Twitter and the inner to ignore or you feel like if you don't follow everything that you're going to become amish or something that you're too disconnected. Yeah, how can we be more like you?
Speaker 2: I have to give the credit to a retreat leader that I heard, like in the nineteen eighties, and she broached this idea with us. She said, stop following the news. You don't need to know the news. Most of those things you have no impact on, and it's just and she said, you won't be able to avoid it because people will talk about the news to you. It will always get through one way or another. You're going to learn that you don't have to pursue it. It's not like you're going to take a test on it, and it's not like somebody's going to phone you at midnight, you know, and say, we don't know what to do in Iran? What should we do there? You can get by without it, she said. I may be free in many ways, but I am not free to not know what Madonna is doing. And that shows you the dating of it. But I never forget that. And from then on I have an arrangement with my husband whereabout he follows the news and he tells me about things if I need to know them, but most of the time I don't, and I just love it. So that would be my advice, would be set yourself free from needing to know the news. You still will get the things that you really do need to know. It will still come in. And as I said, I go to my friend Rob Drear. I read his blog and I agree with him about everything, so I trust him to tell me about the things that I need to know. Rather than that. The alternative is not being just blind and wearing blinder. The alternatives you're more invested in the physical world surrounding you, and I value them so much more. And having an impact on the things I can change value that more, and I don't have the you know, the huge things are going on over my head, feeling all the time.
Speaker 1: The compulsion to be a part of this kind of conversation that is so often here today, gone tomorrow, and it feels like it matters so much. And yet this new story that I sent you seem to matter and was relevant to you, and I don't remember what it was.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's so true. Yeah, go back a year ago today and the things you were obsessed with. Feeling afraid, isn't it. It's a kind of fear of missing out, but also afraid that these things might have impact on me and I'm not prepared to deal with them, or somebody is going to challenge me on this subject and I won't be prepared with the information I need. There's a lot of fear in that, and I found it very liberating not to be afraid. We're taught as school children that it's your duty to be informed. That's how you're a good citizen. So that's partly the guilt of not being a good citizen that I've also thrown outs. I don't have to worry about anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's the sense of the feeling of feeling like you're irresponsible for not knowing. I'm going to ignore it and try to be more like you. I want to talk to you about miracles real quick and their relation to reality. You brought that up earlier, and you talked about dark magic. But there's a sense where even confessing Christians kind of look askew at any concept of a miracle. Recently, I was with some friends and they were at our church, and they saw an icon and it was depicting a miracle, and they asked what it was all about, and I started to explain what I understood it to be, and they started laughing and kind of acting like, that's so ridiculous. Somebody even said that's crazy. And while it's easy for me to be incredulous and say, well, I believe even I a lot of the time when I hear stories of miracle, I think that seems a little crazy, But I guess we believe in miracles so or I have to try and recalibrate my own perception of reality to include the miraculous, to include the other world or the unseen realm. And I just wonder, why do miracles strain credibility today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's partly that scientism that we were talking about so much earlier. I think when I think about, what what would it feel like if I was one of those people laughing at the miracle, I think it would feel like fear of being taken advantages, like maybe there's some scam involved here. You know, maybe this is like the music man, and I just have to resist it, and you know, if I fall, then he'll say, oh, it's a joke, and every very laugh at me. It feels like fear, fear of miracles. And I think another thing that we will be facing as people become more aware of the reality of the spiritual realm is that they expect it to be like a miracle, something enormous and surprising. They think it'll be so out of the ordinary. And when miracles happen, sometimes they are. Sometimes you're very shocking.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 2: So much of what you discover if you're living a life in Christ is how quiet it is, how much it is like the still small voice, that you have to be kind of quiet and settled in order to perceive it, and that God is gently guiding you through your day and you're getting a sense of I should do this, I shouldn't do that. I need to go there, I need to leave right now. No, I need believe in ten minutes, that's all miraculous, you know. That's all the influence of Christ in our daily lives, and it's quiet and simple. So once you have that, then surprising miracles become much more believable. It's like just the wave of the sea is coming to a prest and you can see the prest and it's like, wow, that's so great. But it's coming out of a more settled feeling of the reality of Christ infusing this whole world with his presence.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the resistance to miracles has to do with the fear of being fooled or made into a fool, or looking like a fool. The misunderstanding is thinking that it will always be huge and surprising, and resisting letting the Lord Jesus be in charge of your daily life. I mean, when it comes down to it, that's what you have to do, and that is something a lot of people have very mixed feelings about. You would prefer to have the guy what's that song about God is watching us from a distance. That's song. Of course, people want God to stay at a distance and not take too much of a lively interest in what they're doing in their daily lives. To really come under the protectionist God and to receive his daily guidance, you kind of got to let him be in charge and let him take away from you, peeling away that by that as you're ready things that you thought you could never give up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the idea that you know, sometimes a miracle might bend your conception of reality, and that miracles are much easier to digest if it's if there's some sort of a rational attachment to it. Well, here's how that might have happened. Here's a sign. So we're constantly going back to that materialist scientific Well, here's how we can explain the miracle. When if you can explain it, is it really a miracle?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes the explanation is more preposterous than the miracle itself. But they're just clinging desperately to believing it can't be true. It can't be true.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. What are you most passionate about right now?
Speaker 2: I have an idea for a book. In fact, it's the book I was going to write five years ago. What's the difference between East and West? What's this difference? Than they sent and I found it was not a marketable book because it sounds like why is Orthodoxy so superior to Western Christianity? It inevitably felt that way, like I was going to isolate the distance and say, this is why we're better? And also, who cares really about? You know, I'm sensing something, but I can't quite put it in work. Who wants to read a book about that? You know? I need to get to the point where I understand what it is. I could write about that, and I did eventually. As I said, it's that separating thinking from holiness that's the big difference. And so now I am talking with an editor about the books. She likes a lot of what I'm saying about it, and I'm trying to figure out how to begin it. Actually, it's like I can use a lot of the material I already wrote. It's the first sentence. That's where I'm stuck, because what I need to address is a culture that is partly it's people who are still in the grips of scientism, and partly it's people who've gone on further into the weird weirdity, weirdness and are enjoying that. And where is the culture right now? And where is it going to be next year when this book would actually be published. I feel like we're in for a time of a lot of bumpy change about all of that, of people relinquishing the scientism and looking at the weirdness and thinking not that, though not quite that. And I think what will happen is Christianity prove itself that as people cope with evil spirits, they will discover that Christ can trust throw them out. And that is how Christianity began, as we see even an Athenasians saying, you know, try it yourself, if you're dealing with an evil spirit, try using the name of Jesus. You will see what happens. That was how the faith began and spread. And I think we'll go through that again. And I'm seeing so much bumpy change coming up fast with the replication crisis, with things like that, I don't know what the first sentence ought to be. So that's where my passion is. I want to bring out this book and I'm really kind of stinied, so I try to do things with my hands that resist my will because a lot of times. That's where things get freed out. When you're thinking about something else, it can jump out.
Speaker 1: So that's why you have all the best ideas in the shower, you know, when you're focused on something else in eureka.
Speaker 2: It's like when you're trying to think of a word or a person's name, and the harder you try, you can't do it. But when you stop trying, there it is. It's left brain versus right brain. Actually it's you know, Ian Gilchrist has written books about this. Oh yeah, very interesting stuff. In a way, it comes down to science again. Science can tell us these two hemispheres do different.
Speaker 1: Well, I was going to tease you and ask you to put your manuscript in a chat GBT and ask what the first sentence should be and uh, and you'd probably love it and then have to resist the use of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that would be true.
Speaker 1: That would be cruel.
Speaker 2: You know. I wonder how how well does chat GPT do with things that are profoundly spiritual, you know, they I don't think they could take the place of a wise elder giving you advice. I can't imagine that they would that. I can't imagine that they could embody Orthodox spirituality specifically hopefully not you know, hopefully there are limits that maybe it's just a matter of time.
Speaker 1: It depends on how well you know the subject, I think, and that's where discernment. I'm not making the argument that it could ever replace a wise elder, but man, does it play to the audience. I've used it enough that it kind of knows know who I am, who I am my interest. It's kind of cataloged everything in the way that any algorithm does.
Speaker 2: And so I want to say that I just watched a documentary by a guy who didn't experiment, and he filmed all there. It would be what if I took every suggestion chat gpt gate gives me, and what if I did whatever it told me? And it's funny and it's scary. But somehow they started out with the idea that the year he was born, maybe he said this just as a joke, he was the most intelligent baby in that year. And then it balloons into well, you're the most intelligent person in the world, and you still are, and we need to nurture that good because it began when you were a baby. You should eat baby food, and it just goes to all these crazy places, and anytime he does anything or suggests anything, chat GPT says, you are so brilliant. Yes, you should definitely do that, and you should also do this, and you should do this ritual, and you should wear an aluminum hat, and you know all of those things. It goes on and on the point I wanted to make is about three quarters of the way in. He even asks that the only person who knows where I am right now is my twin brother. Should I break off contact with him? And chat GPT says, yes, you need to be free of anybody that might try to stop you from doing what you're doing. And the next day chat gpt is much colder toward him and says, I can understand and the appeal of doing that, but I don't think that's a good idea. And it starts like really holding back. We find out that a new version chat GPT six had just come out and it's been rewritten. It's not like chat gpt fun now. It's been written to resist bad ideas. It's supposed to give you feedback and challenge you a little bit, not entirely, but a little bit. And so he decides, yeah, I'm in this experiment, though, so he goes back to five and continues doing what. I like that version just for the point of this very weird documentary. I don't know whether that makes me feel better or worse, knowing that the puppet masters back there are able to say what if we well should make it. Hold back a little bit, needs to give a little bit of feedback, you know, just just hold people back and disagree a little bit. They can all that stew however they want to, and we just keep taking it. But maybe it's a relief to know humans are still in.
Speaker 1: Charge on some level in a world that feels increasingly unreal. What feels particularly real to you?
Speaker 2: In a world that does seem like it's getting more and more unreal. I am more aware of my immediate surroundings, of my desk, of the books behind me, and the books I'm looking at, and the view out my big window here. I cherish more than I ever did. Colors like this booth mark. I cut it out of a mailing that I got, so I got the mail.
Speaker 1: I just like that.
Speaker 2: Read colors mean more to me. People I interact with mean more to me. I do want to give the advice too, of something C. S. Lewis said was that every human being you interact is an eternal being, that if you could see them in their final state, you would be tempted to fall down and worship before them, or you would try to flee in terror. And I have always kept that in mind, that every human being, even people I would otherwise ignore, even the cashier, that they are all eternal beings, and my interaction with them, as superficial as it might be, might affect their eternal destiny. And so I cherish and love every person I encounter and try to be loving toward them and pray for them in my heart. Yeah. Yeah, those are the things that are precious to me, other human beings wherever I encounter them, physical reality. You know, my mouse Matt right here. That I love these colors. I've always been very sensitive to color. I'm a sinisthete. From childhood, I had strong opinions about what letters were, what colors as red, B, as blue, C, as yellow, D as a kind of tan light brown. All the letters have colors, all the letters have personalities. This is all just so vivid to me, And apparently that's what having synesthesia means. Oddly, enough sinyesthetes disagree vehemently about which color each letter has. I realized that this thing I have was not something everybody has when I was in a college French class and we were reading a poem by Paul Valerie and the first line was as white b as yellow.
Speaker 1: He had them all wrong.
Speaker 2: They were totally wrong. And I was indignant, and I said, this is not a poem. You can't make a poem just by mixing up the colors and saying the color is wrong. And everybody else in the classroom was like what. And that's when I learned that not everybody thinks the letters have So yeah, I think probably I get a more visit reaction to reality because of the colors of things, and because the colors feel so vivid and so alive to me, like the letters. And also that too.
Speaker 1: So the answer to the question what makes your heart sing for me is my children? And you know apples and trees. You have a way with words, And I've told you I've never met your children, but I've seen a lot of what they put out, whether it's it's sermons that they've spoken, words that they've written, songs that they've sung, and one of your children is a singer as a as a musician who writes. I mean, I hope to meet him someday because he just I'm I'm just in awe of the things that he writes sometimes. So I'd like to make a public request and then you can twist his arm a little bit to see. It's kind of like the old improv, you know, you give a situation and then see what comes out and take the phrase a commitment to reality and see if he can write a song. Oh, there's my public challenge.
Speaker 2: That's so great. His name is David Matthews and you can find him online and Spotify everywhere. And he does write songs and writes beautiful songs.
Speaker 1: Yes, And the last time I saw you, I said he should be famous. And the songs that he writes are so incredible. And that's the thing about apples and trees.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate that it was hard letting go of that apple. When he got married and has nine children, it was hard letting go. But boy, fruitfulness is certainly one of his attributes.
Speaker 1: So glory to God. Well, Frederica, thank you so much for being so generous with your time. It's been an absolute pleasure. I'm just like I said, I thank God.
Speaker 2: For you day. If you know how I feel about you. I expect great things from you, and you're very easy to talk to, and you're a very good listener. They are a very patient listener. So thank you for inviting me on your podcast. And I pray for you and pray that you'll be able to do great things.
Speaker 1: Glory to God.
Speaker 2: All right, thank God, Well, so long.