Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the Tech Talk Radio Network. Hi, this is Adrian Barbo.
Speaker 2: You're listening to tech Talk Radio and you're gonna learn a lot.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin leme. Welcome. We are the show of course that talks about computers.
Speaker 2: Technology and the Internet and all things video games and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be back.
Speaker 2: I mean it's been a couple of weeks, been on vacation and stuff, but it has.
Speaker 1: You were kind of busy last week with the water park is doing some different things and you had to be a part of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Every year when the kids all go back to school, you know, we're still open for business, so they get all the full time staff to basically work the water parks. So some people are lifeguards, some people are you know, trash pick up, some people are guest services. And I was slinging hot dogs and French fries all week.
Speaker 1: How was it? Did you like it?
Speaker 3: It's actually not too bad.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a very small little menu. It's the only place in the park that was open that was selling alcohol, so about like people coming in there. But you know, it's literally like five things to serve. And the downside is, you know, you're on your feet all day and some people are going to laugh at me for that, but I'm not used to being on my feet all day. I'm a desk jockey, you know, but being on my feet all day, you know, it was a little a little bit of a challenge, but it was fun. It was a change of pace, and I enjoyed it. So now that week is done. Now we're into the period between well now and Labor Day because Labor Day we close for the season. So we've got a couple of weeks left, but we're not open during the week. We're only open on weekends, right, So it's actually really quiet around there during the week.
Speaker 3: Now. It's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Would you recommend, like, if a family was coming up to Denver, you know, to do a little vacation, should they check it out? Because I mean, it's it's like the world's or the nation's largest or one of them, right.
Speaker 2: It's America's largest water park.
Speaker 1: We get to hear your voice, right, remember I am.
Speaker 2: The voice of water World. Yeah, thanks for coming to water World. America's largest water park.
Speaker 1: You do that so well.
Speaker 2: I highly recommend it. It's fun, it's an interesting place. It is definitely an icon of Colorado. And yeah, I would mention if you are coming up to Denver during the summer months, Yeah, definitely go check it out.
Speaker 1: All right, that's good. Now we're also seeing a look at and as Sean said, it's a first look at your new setup after you have dealt with all this flooding and all the ripping out of that whole thing.
Speaker 2: So you if you're just listening to the radio, you're obviously not gonna be able to picture this. But Sean and Andy are looking at the zoom.
Speaker 3: Which we'll put up on the website.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I used to be.
Speaker 2: Up against this wall over here, and so the TV was you never would see the TV because it was always to my right against that wall. But then my basement flooded. It was early June. It was like the day after Mesa and Eric went to Japan, and we talked about that, and you know, I had an extended absence from tech Talk because I just I had no more studio. So it finally got redone. We've got new carpet, we put everything back down here, and I took the opportunity to redesign reimagine my battle station per se and instead of it just being mine, I've also set up so it's a two person desk and I'll have to send Sean the picture a little bit later. He actually I'll throw it in the chat later. But anyway, it's a dual desk and there's two battle stations, so whenever Eric wants to use the computer, he'll use the one that I'm on right now because it's the desktop. And if I want to game, I'll just bring my laptop and plug it in over here at the docking station. And I bought a new twenty four or twenty seven inch, yes, twenty seven inch curved gaming monitor from Costco, so I can play on that one, so he can play on this, I can play on that, or if we so choose, we also have his Xbox connected to that other monitor. I've got Xbox Game Pass on this PC and we've got the Xbox on the main TV, so we can have up to like three people, you know, three of his friends playing Xbox, all on their own computer, monitor or TV. So this is like the coolest house in the neighborhood for kids.
Speaker 1: That is pretty cool. They did a you did a good job setting it resetting it up, and it was kind of cool because you had like an open kind of an open slate, right.
Speaker 2: It was just yeah, it was. It was all from scratch basically. I mean, we're not reusing hardly anything now. The only downside is is the monitors. The monitor mount that I have my triple monitors set up on this desk is not as deep as the old one, so the monitors are really really close and it actually kind of concerns me so and II because air CASTA sits so close to be able to play. So it's like it's like you would be sitting and looking at like a sixty inch TV from a foot away, Like it's just not good.
Speaker 1: So I have to do that to read the text, I'm old, Yeah, well, we don't want Eric to be like that when he's like nine.
Speaker 2: So I bought a keyboard train and I just I got to install it on here. But this keyboard tray should then allow him to be able to sit back a little bit and uh and do this. And I'll tell Sean. The hardest part Sean was trying to figure out where to put my microphone, because no matter where I put it, it would bump into a monitor. So what I'm actually doing is I have it behind the monitor, and I'm actually going underneath the monitor and back up the good amount to be able to come and you know, be able to talk to you guys. The other thing I did I made sure of is when I redesigned this, I didn't want to see a single cable and so I took my time and I did it very very carefully, and I made the wires look amazing, which has since now been destroyed because Eric's down here playing with his friends and there's cables everywhere. But I really tried to make it really really good with cable management, and it looks really sweet. And like I said, I'll send a picture here. I'll have to find it, but I'll put a picture in chat and let you let you guys see.
Speaker 1: You use the runners I've seen, you know, like if you go into you know, say Walmart or Best Buy or whatever and you buy amount, they have these these devices that could go on the wall. You can paint them, and they're they're very I mean they're very they look thin and they can do hiding for the cables.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did some of that. I also used a little bit of the umbilical, the umbilic record there, Sean, look at the chat there. Yeah, I put a picture of our battle stations in it. But I did a little bit of it umbilical. I did a little bit of the white stuff to to kind of like the raceway, a lot a lot of zip ties. But yeah, it uh, it ends up. It ended up working out pretty well in the end.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I've seen a lot of people doing. Now, Sean has got the maximum use of lighting and color in his his cast. If you if you jump onto our website, you can actually watch the video from this you can see what we're talking about. And he has done something super amazing. All of a sudden, there is a camera floating above him from behind. You've got to tell us how you did this.
Speaker 4: So I've always wanted a camera angle from behind me just to show like a wide shot of what my setup is. It's kind of messy right now, so deal with that. But so I have my old iPhone seven plus plugged into power, connected to my WiFi running nd I HXCM. This is an application that's free you can download from the app store, which pushes an NDII stream to my home network.
Speaker 3: Can you can you explain nd I? I don't. I don't. I'm not familiar with that.
Speaker 4: So NDI stands for Network Defined Interface. So NDI is made by a company called new Tech, which I think is owned by viz Art Now, which is a broadcast company. It's a high bandwidth streaming platform like it's, it's it's it's a streaming protocol, so much like s R, T R T, m P those things. The benefit is that you can put it on hardware, you can put it on software and pull this video in across your network. So all I'm running is that application on my phone, and I'm using OBS to pull that stream into OBS, then using the virtual camera from OBS to push it to zoom wow. So and I. NDI is a I'm going to change back to their camera.
Speaker 1: But NDI is a.
Speaker 4: It was very limited in terms of use in the broadcast industry because of its nature across networks. Right, you have to have it almost have to have a dedicated network just for NDI, just because of its bandwidth requirements and it's kind of interoper interoperability with other voice or video over IP systems, so it didn't get picked up very well. And then during COVID when everybody kind of had to go to something to stream churches, houses of houses, of works of churches, schools, all the stuff, NDI kind of picked up a bunch of steam. And it's been developed a lot on the back end and now they have some lower bandwidth capabilities and some other things like that. But we use it quite a bit at work. I use it quite a bit at work to do If you watch any of our Notre Dame Rugby club streams, we're using four NDI cameras remote outdoor rated. They're mounted outdoor at Rugby all over campus network, so they're just plugged into a campus switch poe to the cameras, we pull them back, We pull them back in at the TriCaster, which is a video switcher that is made by new Tech, so NDI native and brings it in and you can switch switch the cameras, you can add graphics, You can do all this.
Speaker 2: When you're talking about a high bandwidth though, I mean, what do we talk in per camera?
Speaker 3: We talk in.
Speaker 4: Gigabit, right, So there are a couple of different flavors, right, so NDI is compressed. So it's compressed. Uh, it's compressed video, right, yeah, So it uses full they call full full NDI. They use what the codec called speed HQ. That's the codec they use. It's about it depends on what flavor of video you're using. Ten ADP seven to twenty p, etceter. So for a ten ADP stream at full NDI, it's about one hundred and twenty meg per camera.
Speaker 5: Mm okay, so if you have if you have the network, right, So the benefit of NDI is if you have a network that supports it, you can do multicast, which means one to many, right.
Speaker 4: If you don't, you have to do unicast, which means one to one. Meaning if Justin pulls my camera down and Andy pulls my camera down, it's sending two full bandwidth streams.
Speaker 3: To ooh yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, meaning.
Speaker 4: That would be two hundred and forty meg or x whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why you bring in that switcher, the and stuff.
Speaker 4: Right, So there's a benefit to doing it either way. Now they've identified that as a kind of a bottleneck and they created nd I ah x n da h X two and da h X three and it's using HG six four encoding h g VC encoding. So now you're getting down to where you can put the cameras down to four five six meg per camera at the same quality.
Speaker 1: Did you have to did you have to buy the software for your smartphone to be able to run it on there?
Speaker 4: It's free?
Speaker 1: So is that like the suite of products from NDI when it comes to the software to do it? I do believe that is the case. Isn't it?
Speaker 4: Like you could everything that I've done to make this camera, I'll go back to it, right, this camera, this camera, everything I've done to make this camera, get it on Zoom. It's free.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: The application, the nd I tool software from my computer, the OBS is free.
Speaker 3: Right, all of those things are free.
Speaker 4: You can just download. They're all open source. Well and is not open source.
Speaker 2: But yeah, okay, but then how does NDI make money if they're if they're if they're like, yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: You have to you have to.
Speaker 4: There are licensed products for NDI, right, there are there are things that new text cells that can't be licensed. And if a vendor Panasonic, Sony, Cannon, Bird, Dog, PTS, Optics, whoever wants to put NDI on their camera. They pay nd I a fee. Right, it's just like H six four right.
Speaker 2: Every H six four device, it's just a codec.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they pay six four.
Speaker 4: That is a codec that you pay for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: It's pretty amazing because even just looking at it now, like Sean, how you have set up Like I can imagine we talked about houses of worship and you know, it used to be okay, they would just have one camera on it, and then they started getting they started getting like pretty experimental during the COVID and saying, well we want you know, we still have you know, our our our choral group here. So they wanted to be able to switch to a choral group. So suddenly they wanted to have two cameras. And then they started to find out about tricasters and about obs or even wire cast if they you know, want to use the telestream product and pay for it. And then now I'm looking at this, going this you can have a camera behind you a minister or a preacher or priest and show the congregation now, and I mean it's just there's so much, so many applications that this is allowing you to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean there's there's some benefits, there's some there's some positives and some negatives. Right this camera that I'm using behind me is just on my WiFi. Wi Fi is not ideal for this scenario. It just happens to be what happens to work.
Speaker 1: A little last Yeah, if I had.
Speaker 4: One of my actual NDI cameras from work, I would obviously hardwire to my switch, put it on my network that way, and the latency would be sub one sub one second. It'd be very, very very low latency.
Speaker 1: It is pretty neat. I like it. I like the idea too. This gives you that the idea why you never ever want to get rid of your smartphones. You know, you go to a place and they say, hey, you know, we'll trade it in and they'll give you what fifteen twenty bucks on that.
Speaker 2: Justin What do you think, Well, it's funny that you mentioned that.
Speaker 3: You are correct.
Speaker 2: I mean that is that is the keep your old cell phones because you never know what you want to do with them. However, there's something interesting that just happened that I want to talk about here in a second, about what these use cell phones. But go ahead and finish your thought. It just it just made me think of something.
Speaker 1: It just because then you have the opportunity and I think, Sean, you're using an iPhone seven. People have thought, Okay, well, you know it's not on an iPhone twelve. I'm not going to be able to use it. We can't use it for phone calls. You could still use those smartphones connected to Wi Fi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and make turm into cameras or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So again, you know, this could be something that would be good, you.
Speaker 2: Know, speaking of the phones. I just I was reading about this earlier today. You know, the new Pixel nine series came. Yeah, and I actually I will tell you right now, I am going to be the proud new owner of the new Pixel nine pro fold.
Speaker 1: Oh you're you're gonna go fold wow.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So that's coming on. That's coming on its way here soon. But the point of this little story I was gonna mention is I've been hearing about how best Buy will give you one thousand dollars for like an old like iPhone twelve or even an iPhone fourteen. They will give you nine hundred and ninety nine dollars towards a trade in or for trade in towards a Pixel nine. Now again, this is not best Buy that's foot in this bill.
Speaker 3: This is Google.
Speaker 2: They're like, hey, doesn't matter. Pay everybody one thousand dollars to trade in their phone if they get a pixel. People have been exploiting this. They're going to these like cell phone stores that are selling old you know, use cell phones. They're buying old like iPhone twelves for like two hundred bucks, turning around selling them the best buy it for one thousand and gaining eight hundred dollars towards a new Pixel nine. I mean that's pretty smart if you asked me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the Pixel nine has been getting some rever reviews. You know, some people I know in the press world have been able to get their hands on one. Press has had a lot of harder time than some of those that are influencers that than yeah, than those in the actual media.
Speaker 2: But I guess I'm not that good of an influencer. I had to pay for mine. Thanks Andy, What made.
Speaker 1: You decide though, that it was finally time to move up? Because you didn't do the Pixel eight? Did you? No?
Speaker 2: I usually no, no, no, no, no no, no, I do I do have a Pixel eight pro. My phone is I usually skip a generation. That's what I's what I thought. So I've I've usually been on the odds, but now I went last year, I was like, oh, I'm gonna get it. You know, the Pixel eight Pro, but I saw the Pixel nine. I saw the Pixel nine pro fold and I'm like, one of the deciding factors me honestly, was my eyesight. My eyesight is getting a little wit worse as I get a little bit older, and I have to have readers everywhere, and I thought, you know this, and they they talked about how having that foldable screen, the open screen will allow you to be able to like zoom in on text a lot easier. And I thought, you know, that looks pretty cool. And I've always been a little bit risk adverse to or towards foldable phones because of that center gap. But they said that they've actually got a new technology now where it kind of reduces that prominance of that center foldable gap. So I don't know, I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm going to trade in my pixel or I Pixel eight Pro. And then I told the wife, I said, look, I'm just gonna you know, I'll come up with the money somehow little bitcoin, but yeah, I should be getting my Pixel nine pro fold. I think it's like September fourteenth through the eighteenth, somewhere in that range. So I'm actually really interested to see that. But on top of that, because I bought it through the Google Store, I get a three hundred and fifty dollars Google credit towards buying things, And I was already about to spend three hundred dollars to buy the new Google Streamer, the new Google Streaming four K devices, like they're replacing the Google TV, the Google Chrome casts and stuff. Now it's like a little bit of a set top box. It's it's still pretty small, but it's more of a set top box. Faster process or more memory, more storage, and they're each like one hundred dollars before tax. So I was like, I was going to buy three of those already. So now that I get the three hundred and fifty dollars store credit by buying this, that knocks off, in essence, three hundred and fifty bucks off my phone bill. So it ended up coming out of pocket.
Speaker 3: I want to say about one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Do you think that you know when we first saw the flips and the folds come out from Samsung. Y you know, it was kind of like, eh, you know, people were kind of on the fence. We looked at the fold from Samsung and we were like it was okay, but ancient technology compared now. Yeah, we saw that that crease that just kind of bothered us a little. Yeah, but it looks like it's gotten better. They're saying that. Some people are really saying it's time with the marketing that Samsung's been doing that they're going to be ditching their iPhones for the Galaxy Z flip six. Do you think maybe we're going to start seeing that the flips of the folds are going to get a lot more love.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think with this new technology, and especially with the new technology Google put behind this particular screen, I think people are going to be more willing to try a larger screen like that on a foldable or flippable device so they get that extra real estate without having to give up all that extra pocket space. Now, speaking of pocket space, I had to find a case for this thing. Oh yeah, and I looked around a little bit on Amazon. They're already released a bunch of cases there was one case that I really wanted.
Speaker 3: It will looked amazing.
Speaker 2: It was made of metal, full on coverage front, back, left, right, up, down whatever. It looked like an otter Box. However, when you close it and you have that hold in your hand, it is about two and a half inches thick, like that is the size of like a battery pack, And I'm not going to be putting that in my pocket with my phone. Like I'm I love otter Box for their ability to protect everything. Yeah, yeah, but this was just a little overkill because it was literally made of aluminum, and I just I don't think I could do that, So I ended up I actually haven't bought it yet. I'm gonna get just a regular old case. But it is made for the fold and it does go with the grain of the foldable device, and it's got a hinge on it, so but it will protect the cameras, it'll protect the edges. It's got an air gap around the corners, so that way, if you do drop and it hits the corner, it's going to hit that air gap first, so it'll, you know, somewhat protect it. But on top of that, I went ahead and I did buy the device protection. They offered an incentive. You could either do it for fifteen dollars a month or two seventy nine for two straight years. So if you do the math fifteen times twenty four, you're looking at almost four hundred dollars right there. So I just bit the bullet and went the two seventy nine for the two years of protection out the door.
Speaker 1: No, that's not bad. Hopefully it will catch on and will be, you know, a good product. Like I said, it's had, it's had great reviews so far.
Speaker 2: Well, now that Justin Lemme of tech talk radio is gonna have one, everybody's gonna want one.
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know.
Speaker 1: And I was thinking about the flip because I like the ads for the flip, but I just I don't know if I could get used to it. Sean, do you think you could you use that technology?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I like to think that I would hate it. But one of my cousins has one of the Samsung folds and he's like, hey, watch this video flip. Oh crap, it's a huge screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it looked really good.
Speaker 4: I was like, all right, I could probably. I just don't know if i'd like my phone is big. I have the thirteen plus, the iPhone thirteen plus it's big. Yeah, and my mom has the iPhone thirteen Max and that's even bigger, right, And the Max is about the same size as Justin is gonna get plus it flips.
Speaker 2: Out the Max the iPhone fifteen Pro Max. No, yeah, fifteen Pro Max. The screen size is the same as the nine pixel really pro fold screen when it's folded. Okay, so you are getting the size of a fifteen Pro Max when it's folded, and then when you unfold it you're getting just that much more real estate.
Speaker 4: I mean, I see where it's beneficial, right, It's just I don't foresee myself getting one because I have a two and a half year old, yeah old, and I need to.
Speaker 2: See them going like this, dude, dude, this is exactly what the guy told me when I when I bought my Pixel seven, I want to say Pixel seven. I had a picture of Eric as a baby as my background on my Pixel six and they were like, oh, it's a cute or First off, he was like, do you want the device protection? And I'm like nah, I'm good. Yeah, and then he sees the picture of the kid, he goes, that's a cute kid.
Speaker 3: How old is he?
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, two, he goes. He looks at me square in the face.
Speaker 3: He goes, are you sure you don't want the device protection?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I just imagined like a flashback of him like dropping my phone in the toilet or something, and I'm like, you know what, I should probably do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's probably a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's always good when you have kids.
Speaker 2: But I also heard a rumor, and I haven't seen any pictures of it or anything yet, but I heard a rumor that the Pixel nine pro fold interior screen will replicate and eat ink display so you can use it like a Kindle.
Speaker 1: Oh, that'd be kind of interesting. I'm just where it has a camera system because I'm.
Speaker 2: Ass in the world right now, top of the line in the world, better than the Samsung yep.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 2: It is rated as the best camera in the world for a phone.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And it goes back and forth. It always goes back and forth. It's like Nvidia A A M D. You know, right now, it's the Pixel Next year it'll be the same Sung, But it's it's the camp.
Speaker 4: The camera wars on phones right, can only go so far until we're gonna have a thirty five millimeters censor on a camp on on a phone. Yeah right, you're the sensor skinning is so big until the phones get bigger. As the phones get bigger, Apple's gonna make some sort of iPhone device. I mean it's going to be It's going to be Google, it's gonna be Meta. It's one of them is going to make a I mean, Red made their red Red epic Red.
Speaker 3: I don't company Red.
Speaker 4: They it's a camera company. They got actually they got up by Nikon not that long ago. They made a large sensor phone. There is a Red phone. Google it. It's got a I don't it's over a one in censor.
Speaker 2: You mean like the Red phone, like the President Red phone.
Speaker 5: No, no, the President phone, but like it could shoot raw.
Speaker 4: It did all this crazy stuff, and I have a the guy that works for us that it doesn't work with. That was the only person I've ever meat at the head one. And I don't understand how it. It just didn't seem to be functional, but he used it on films to shoot and stuff.
Speaker 1: So why I just googled.
Speaker 2: I just googled Red phone and The first thing comes up was the Moscow Washington hotline and a bunch of pictures of old analog red phones.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, you can tell everybody you have a red phone, a.
Speaker 3: Red hydrogen one. That's why you're talking about. So the.
Speaker 4: Camera wars are only gonna get so good as long as the math continues to get good and the compression contains shirt good, because you're only gonna be able to cramp so many pixels, so many small pixels, into small sensors, so until until the sensors get bigger and the lenses get bigger. That that you can only it's there's some theory or law, physics law that exists to prove that that can't go anything til things get bigger.
Speaker 1: Think about it. Could we eventually see a Nikon or a Cannon smartphone?
Speaker 2: No, you know, I think, I think I think Google or Samsung or Apple, one of those three or even one plus possibly right, they may license and do a partnership with Canon or Sony or or Nikon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it could be Nikon and Red because now that Nikon owns right, are rumored to be working on a new phone.
Speaker 1: There you go. See, you would think it could happen. All right, we got to take we gotta take quick break. Come back. You mentioned chrome cast. What happens to those that are using it. We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 2: If you can find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com, we'll get right back.
Speaker 1: And that fact to tech talk Radio. In the first part of the show, we were talking about chrome cast. Justin you were talking about how you want to get the Google TV streamer, which has been announced it's going to be available September twenty sixth, and some people have thought, well, I've wanted to get a chrome Cast. I had a Google TV once a box which was so cool and I loved it. But then they kind of shifted to the actual chrome Cast device and if they kind of left it out, so I stopped using it. What is Google TV streamer? What is that good for?
Speaker 2: Well, the Google TV Streamer, it's it's it's an over the top box.
Speaker 3: I mean it is.
Speaker 2: It is is taking the place of your smart TV if you have a smart TV, if you don't, it makes your TV smart. It is the one stop shop for all your streaming apps, so you can put your Netflix, your Disney plus your Paramount to your HBO max At, etcetera, etcetera, etceterax plus all that stuff, right, you can also put YouTube and YouTube TV and all that stuff right. Everything, it's a one stop shop. But you know, the original chrome Cast was simply just a simple streaming from your phone to your TV. That was the original chrome Cast. Then they came out with Google TV, and so they kind of pivoted the Chrome Cast towards the Google TV, which is where you get all the smart features like I just mentioned. But now they're upgrading that with more storage, more RAM fast processor, and it's more of an it's it's not just something that hides behind your TV anymore plugged into an HDMI. Obviously it's still plugs into HDMI, but now it's more of a set top box. And it's still really honestly the size of I don't know, a pack of tissue, like a pocket pack of tissues. You know, it's really not that big. But it's also four K the newest chrome Cast as well. They do have four k's model. We have the four K models, but they're just they're starting to get clunky, they're starting to turn off randomly, and I think they're just getting old and there's no cooling involved there. They're really packaged tightly into a thing, so they get really hot. So I think this new form factor is gonna help a little bit with the cooling and obviously the faster process or more storage. I think it's gonna be a better deal. You're gonna pay a little bit more. You're gonna pay one hundred dollars for it. Forty nine, I think is what forty nine is for the four K model of the chrome Cast Google TV. Twenty nine is for the standard like ten EIGHTP Google TV. So it depends on what you have. If you only have a ten ADPTV, you don't need the Google TV streamer, you don't need the chrome Cast four K. Just get yourself the twenty nine dollars Google TV.
Speaker 1: What's the difference between Roku and chrome Cast Because people get in the store and they look and they see you've got Apple TV Roku, and then you've got chrome Cast, and then you've got own. If you're at Walmart, you know they got their on or ONN or whatever they call it.
Speaker 2: But what's the difference between Ford, Chevy and Mazda. I mean, it's it's the same thing. You're getting the same product.
Speaker 4: In the user experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, user experience, user interface, slightly different form factor, but basically they all do the same job.
Speaker 1: Now, one thing I did see that kind of made me go, ooh, that's interesting. I like Roku's layout. I've got Roku, I've got Apple, and I've got pretty much all of them. I like the way I've got Sling, and I like that one too. But I like the layout of it because you really get a chance to see some you know, you want to see comedy, you want to see this, and you could connect to, you know, some of the different services that are out there. But I heard that the Google TV streamer will have access to almost eight hundred channels of content. Is that because it's Google that there's more content that will be available.
Speaker 2: They do have the built in Google Free Live TV that has a bunch of you know, AD supported channels, kind of like Fubo does or whatever. But yeah, so they have their own app that has that. But I think what they're kind of leaning towards is the integration of YouTube TV plus the the Google Free TV stuff, plus any of those apps that also support television. I just don't see eight hundred channels on Google alone, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was one of the things I was reading about it. But again, this will be available September twenty sixth. If you want to get the you know, maybe you've got a kid's room or guest room and you want to just get Crome cast device, it's gonna be your last time to get those until they sell out. From what I understand, they're not making anymore. They're just they're going to be done with it.
Speaker 2: And technically they're not even called Chrome Casts anymore. They're called Google TV.
Speaker 4: Okay, so real quick note on this whole streaming thing, right, So you justin mentioned Fubo and it reminded me of an article I just read. So Fubo sued Discovery, Fox, all those You remember how all of those were going to join in to do a joint venture for shaming. Yeah, Fubo soon put a stop to it. They excited antitrust. So there is currently an injunction to stop the launch of the Walt Disney, Condy, Fox Corps and Warner Brothers Discovery Venue Sports joint venture. So currently that is on hold. So we talked about it on the show before because we all know everybody's trying to cram everything back into one streaming platform like cable. But as of right now, this was in August sixteenth, so not that long ago. Fubo put some lawsuits that this is this is uh, you know, anti trust. Basically, it means it's not good for the public. It's not good.
Speaker 2: It's not only that, but you know, not only what you're mentioning, but now there's also a lawsuit going out there or not a lawsuit, and that says, well, actually.
Speaker 1: Maybe it has a lawsuit.
Speaker 2: They're trying to break up Google, like they're coming after Google itself now, just saying hey, you guys are in uh, you know, it's anti trust. Your monopoly, you monopolize the search engine market. They're the FTC now and the government are going after Google saying yeah, guys, the party has been great and all, but it's time for you to break it up. But why, I mean, because Google is a monopoly, dude. They own everything. They like Disney, you.
Speaker 1: Got Facebook that controls stuff. I mean, everybody could everybody is just trying to maximize their bottom line, right.
Speaker 3: But I guess you could look at it that way.
Speaker 2: But when you consider Google's got the TV market, they got the smartphone market, they got the search engine market, they got your email market. I mean they touch every aspect of our lives.
Speaker 3: Meta does not.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, yet, now you go ahead.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say. Also on the streaming thing. I don't know if you guys have heard this story about the guy whose wife died of anaphylactic shock at one of the Disney.
Speaker 6: Resorts and he was suing for uh, timely death, wrongful death right, and Disney came out and said, yeah, but you signed up for Disney Plus trial, meaning you forced arbitration, so good luck.
Speaker 1: Well they wait, wait, wait, I know they did.
Speaker 4: So they're claiming that because this guy signed up for a Disney Plus trial years prior. In the terms and you know the terms and conditions, it says that you forego lawsuits and go straight to arbitration.
Speaker 2: For anything against for anything against Disney Plus, it just says for anything against Disney.
Speaker 4: So now he goes to Disney whatever. How many years later Disney World, his wife has an allergic reaction in one of their restaurants and dies. So it's this terrible circus.
Speaker 2: Awful after they confirmed with the waiter multiple times that it did not have any peanuts or or milk in it, and they said yeah, yeah, yeah, were totally fine. Then she ends up dying because it did have peanuts.
Speaker 4: And so he goes and says, I'm going to see you guys for a wrongful death. Yet yeah, yeah, they come back and say, yeah, not so fast. We're not going to court. It has to go straight to arbitration.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Now they've actually as of today, yeah.
Speaker 4: They now they've acktracked as because of.
Speaker 3: The public pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you serious, Disney, Oh my lord, that's awful. It's an awful story about tech companies sometimes maybe well losing that humanity.
Speaker 2: Not only that, but now that this has gained that attention and gained that huge uh social media viral following, there are lawyers left and right signing up to defend this guy, to go up against the army of lawyers that Disney's gonna have.
Speaker 1: Wow, but he can be a huge case. He can't proceed with this. This is going to be very interesting. Now you were you were talking to us earlier before, you know, in our pre show about something that you've started doing again that we were trying to figure out what it is. What is it that justin is doing again.
Speaker 2: Well, I will show you and I said clash.
Speaker 4: I said Clash of Clans because Justin and I played way too much Clash Clans and spent way too much money on it when I knew him in CDIA, and I said drones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not going to be either of that, all right, but here you go.
Speaker 1: Oh there he goes, Look at that.
Speaker 2: I went back into d Jane. That's why I about the head that got the technique headphones out. So what I'm showing here on camera is I bought myself a Hercules DJ deck. It's a professional deck that has you know, two decks left and right. It's got all the different buttons that can do all the different hot cues, fading, mixing, scratching, all the stuff that you would particularly see on a DJ deck. This thing was only two and ninety nine dollars. It's not bad, now, I was. I got out of DJAN when I left the Navy twenty years or not twenty years ago, about fifteen years ago, and I never got back into it because I knew it was so cost prohibitive. You know, these these professional DJs you see use these decks at like a pioneer and they're like, they go for like twenty five hundred dollars each, So now you're looking at five thousand dollars right there. For two decks. This thing was a great buy. It was beginner's deck. It connects USB to my laptop. I use Virtual DJ, right, great program which is open source. It's it's free, not actually open source. Yeah, it is a free product. However, if you want to use the deck involved with it, you do have to pay for the license. So I paid the ninety nine dollars for the license, then for the content, all the music I subscribed to Title, which is like Spotify, but Title integrates with Virtual DJ and it provides lossless quality music, so you're getting better quality than you would with Spotify. Now, Andy, this is the point of where you ask, why in the heck would you get back into DJ.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked about this on a previous show, but I like the idea. I think it's great. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm getting back in because I have a couple of friends that want me to DJ their wedding. And when I looked into how much a wedding DJ can make, I was like, oh my lord, I think I can make this work. A typical wedding, DJ will make about about three thousand dollars. Yeah, And so I took out I took out a loan from the Bank of Mesa with an interest Tree loan, and I bought myself the deck, I got myself, the license, I got myself, you know, a couple other things. They paid me half up front, and I went ahead and paid her back and then I'll make the other half when I DJ. But what's funny is I just finally got to sit down with them and talk about what they wanted for their wedding. And they're like, Oh, this isn't going to be a traditional wedding, and these are our playlist. This is what we want. They want things like Green Day and Slayer. Oh boy, that's I'm like, uh, how do you expect me to mix that? And they're like, oh, we don't you just fade in between. I'm like, I didn't even need to buy this stuff.
Speaker 1: Then talk over the fades. That's what.
Speaker 3: Radio. I'm just gonna talk over the fades.
Speaker 1: This device, I get back into it, this device from Hercules. Why does it I've always wondered because I've seen DJ spin. Now I come from the old days of playing the techniques twelve hundreds right, yeah, and you know there were records on them and you had your pitch control and you would do that and your mix, your slide left right, whatever. But these have like the look like the size of a CD on it.
Speaker 2: What is that for that? That is your control, That is your controller right there. So this integrates with the digital part of the thing. So if I spin this around, it's going to act like I'm turning back the record or the CD or whatever. So if I were to go back and forth, it's going to go.
Speaker 1: And it will do that with the title service without delay. Absolutely, it splits the tracks. And not only that, I can go down here and these four buttons, I can go vocals, will only instrumentals, bass or what or just drums like kick drums, And I can easily because all of these tracks. Now this software can actually segregate the different portions of the track, so I can go only vocals or only bass. So it allows me to help me fade in and out with a touch of a button. It is amazing what things have come to. I used to mess around with Serato. Serrato is kind of like the go to DJ platform hercules and title and Virtual DJ have done wonders for the DJ community over the past few years. Oh great, you got to get some pictures from it. Is it coming up quick or yes?
Speaker 2: Coming up September early September.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to get some pictures from it. We got to take another break. We have listener comments, so we definitely want to do talk about some of these listener questions. And one of them involves somebody who got ripped off with bitcoin and bitcoin spin in the news, so we'll talk about that when we come back. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Shonda Weird and Justin let me send us your bitcoin at no, I'm just checking. Yeah, just signd us on the web tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 3: Now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 4: So in the last segment, we talked about getting back into things Justin Smooth's DJ and stuff. I have talked about this before, getting back into more of an analog video photo world. So you guys know that I have my my Polaroid camera that I take pictures with. But I finally just decided, you know what, I didn't want to set up a whole bunch of digital camera stuff on my trip up to the up this last time, so I just I still took it, obviously, but I packed in my Minolta X five seventy, my thirty five millimeters fo old guy wow, and I put I put on a twenty eight milimeter one two point eight lens and said, I'm just gonna shoot a roll film while I'm up there. So I dug around and I found a I don't even know how old. It was a very old, probably twenty plus years old role of Kodak four hundred gold. So for those of you who don't shoot analog, four hundred film means that's the app that's the ISO or the ASA as it was called back in the day of the film. So I have to shoot around that.
Speaker 2: So I really had a number.
Speaker 4: The higher the higher, the higher the number, the more sensitive the film is to light, So meaning if it's an eight hundred sixteen hundred, I don't think it goes much higher than end film. It just requires less light to expor less light to expose properly. So I took that up to the up and I had no idea what I was going to get. Because the film is old. Old film can do weird things. It can look funny, it cannot expose properly. So I shot the film and then I sent it off to Indie Film Labs, which is a website Indie film labs dot com. Eleven dollars a roll to develop the film, which is a little pricey, but you know, back in the day you were still paying seven eight bucks double four by sixes. And I'm very happy with the results. I just got them back yesterday, so uh not that not that long ago, and I just scanned them in before the show. Have Yeah, So I'm just gonna put up my screen right now so you can kind of see. If you're on zoom, you can kind of see. This is my son Max, This is my niece Caroline. This is Max and Caitlin. So these are all films, so you can see some of the imperfections in here, like you can see some of the weird film the film grades and stuff. But I'm just so thrilled with how the look and the feel of how these turned out. So I just encourage you if you're if you're ever, if ever been into film, or you shot film, just maybe pick it back up, just take the camera back out and shoot.
Speaker 2: It's very nostalgia. It does it's more homely, you know.
Speaker 4: With with all of this technology and AI advancement in AI art and AI everything, right, I've got to just get back to being a human and creating art myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think you gotta just get that.
Speaker 4: And now I'm gonna get these printed. I'm gonna take it.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy film? Though?
Speaker 2: Can you buy film from that India Film?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You can.
Speaker 4: Still, you can buy film from any any film labs. There are more than a dozen niche film markets on the web that you can buy film from, and there are people that actually buy and sell and trade film. So you could say, hey, I've got this thirty year old role of four hundred gold and somebody might trade you. You know, you can buy and trade and sell film. Reddit is a great place for that. There's an analog film community on Reddit that's really great that you can buy and sell camera parts. There's a pretty good there's a couple of users who three D print replacement parts that aren't available anymore for older cameras.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: So there's a really good analog community that's out there and it's fun, you know. It's how I got my start film back in the late nineties. So I kind of wont my My my grandparents shot film, and my mom shot film, and so I was around film my whole life.
Speaker 1: But I kind of wonder, though, you know, places like the country fair, White Elephant, or thrift stores you know around the country, though, would this create kind of this could create kind of a love for the old film cameras, which probably you could get a great film camera at a pretty good price, now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can, but the good ones, right, the ones that have autofocus, the ones that have motorized serveral lenses, the ones that have the built in split focus, which my Minolta X five seventy does, which is if you're not familiar with split focus, it's just a diapter that's built into the camera that will actually shift the image so that when it's in focus, it lines up in the image, so it's offsetter. So if you look at it's split, but when it's in focus, it's not split. So it's part of the It's one of the coolest features of an analog camera that I've ever experienced my life.
Speaker 1: Very cool stuff. All right, here's one of the questions that we got in right, justin I know that you've been helping this guy out and on Facebook, Tim who sent us a note on Facebook about his bitcoin that was stolen from his wallet, and you know, we the thing is that you've talked about ledgers, which is a safer way to keep it rather than having it just on on coinbase.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, you never. So when you buy crypto, you buy it from an exchange like Coinbase. There's there's a there's a multitude of other exchanges out there, but the rule of thumb is you never want to leave your money on an exchange. And it's not necessarily for people hacking in like what happened to Tim here. It's more about if the exchange went belly up, they're going to take your funds with you.
Speaker 3: Like it's just kind of like.
Speaker 2: A bank, right, I mean a bank, a bank that is not FDIC insured. Let's put it that way, right, You're not going to get your money back. So what happened to Tim here says, you know, hey, tech talk, I recently had a bitcoin stolen from my wallet. I had Coinbase investigate the matter. Bitcoin is unrecoverable and is in a non coin Base account. Coinbase told me that the transfer theft somehow originated from.
Speaker 1: My cell phone, his own cell phone.
Speaker 3: YEP.
Speaker 2: I am baffled, and I don't see how that's possible, since nobody has handled my phone before. I do recall calling a phone number I thought was a customer service line with Coinbase that turned out to be fraudulent. Is it possible that the scammers behind the fake coin based number were able to clone my cell phone digital signature when I called? And then he goes on to say, is there anyone able to determine whether or not my cell phone may have been cloned remotely or over the phone by a scammer? I believe absolutely this is very likely a SIM cloning attack. And they cloned. They don't clone your phone number. They in essence clone your SIM which is the computer chip that every single cell phone has. And when you get a new cell phone, or let's say you switch from Verizon AT and T or vice versa, you get a new SIM card, and that SIM card is not only your phone number, it is an Imei number and a bunch of other like numbers that identify your phone to the network. There's a new tech attack going out there, and I don't know exactly how it works, but they're able to clone SIM cards, And so if there's a two factor authentication like Coinbase turned on, where when you log into Coinbase, it says, hey, we sent you a two factor text message. You know, type in the six digits you got in the text message. If somebody clones your phone with a simcard attack, they're also going to get the number the text message with that six digit code, and then they'll be able to log into your account.
Speaker 1: The other song I had justin too, is is it very possible too? They had already cloned the device, whether they be we're nearby it, they were able to access it, and now getting that person to call coinbase and then go through those security procedures as they're doing it, they're taking the money out. I mean that's always yeah, that's always a possibility as well.
Speaker 3: Very very much likely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And unfortunately with crypto, because it is not regulated, and that's the beauty of crypto is that the government doesn't have its hands on it. But with that being said, it is still then the wild wild West, and you're not going to be able to do much about it. So, now if you were to put this on, like I said, a ledger, which is basically a cold storage wallet, what I mean by cold storages. It looks like a us beak stick, but when you unplug it, you put it in your safe or whatever. Your bitcoin is stored, it's actually not technically stored on that. It's stored on the blockchain. Everything is stored on the blockchain, but you're your secret phrase, your key, everything that unlocks your wallet is on the ledger, and nobody can do anything with that. And as a matter of fact, I can take a ledger and I could give it to a thief and be like, here, here's all my bitcoin.
Speaker 3: Take it.
Speaker 2: They still can't do anything with it because they don't have my seed phrase, they don't have my master password. The ledger itself is just an interface for you into the blockchain, but it is still a hundred times safer than leading your money on coinbase or another exchange.
Speaker 1: But this is also important to remind all the listeners, whether you're dabbling in bitcoin or anything, to remember that those little emails you get that ask for information, or you get a phone call that is prompting you to do something, or you got to log onto Microsoft and have your security checked, all of those lead to phishing. All of those lead to you giving up something that will enable that person to get into your account. And so you got to be really really careful with this stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean you you gotta, in this day and age, with all the scammers and all this stuff, you gotta seriously listen to this.
Speaker 3: Trust no one seriously.
Speaker 2: Even if it sounds like nobody question everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right. Another one we got from Larry says, I love listening to your show, and honestly I love tech shows in general. So hopefully they loved last week's show, which was kind of a best of is that. I've listened to Kim I know who he's talking about and Leo Laporte.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: There used to be another show in Tucson as well. I'm thinking it was a tech Guru. There was a and then there was Christine. I think a glance as it did a show as well. But he says, I wonder what is the best way to find tech shows online?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very easy, Larry. Just go to tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 1: Actually, though seriously, there is I mean it's hard for you to get onto X and look for a tech show. This to run made a cast. They're doing some pretty good things. I'd say take a look at medea cast. They have a I believe a free solution. But somebody had asked me, uh, if we were on Reddit, and I thought about it. Does anybody go on Reddit? I mean, do people have channels on Reddit where they promote their shows?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You can pay for ads there?
Speaker 2: You go, sure, I mean, we can get a Reddit community, but I mean it's right, yeah, no, not really.
Speaker 4: We don't want that, right.
Speaker 1: All right, So tech talk radio dot com. That's your best source there, Larry. We appreciate you listening to us, But the best way is to search the webit. If you find one, let us know about it. You know, I will tell you. Dave Graveline is another guy. He's been on our show before. He does a show out of Florida.
Speaker 2: So well, check check check all your podcast sources. You know, you got Speaker, you got Spotify, you got Apple, you know things like that.
Speaker 3: Good pod search for for for yeah, good pods.
Speaker 2: Just search for tech radio or tech shows or techechnology and they'll come up with a lot of podcasts.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. All right, you gotta take another quick break. We come back with more of tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 4: I'm Sean de Weird and I'm justin.
Speaker 2: Lemme find us on Facebook, Facebook dot com for sauce tech Talkers.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back and now factor tech talk Radio.
Speaker 1: Or to remind you that if you would like to reach out to us, we would love that you could drop us an email. Tech guys at tech talk radio dot com. You could visit our blog for all the updates blog dot tech talk radio dot com. Whether it be the TV segments from News thirteen, Fox eleven, you could see those up there. You could see video of the show. You can also check out some of the other cool things that we have done over the past couple of weeks. So again you can find that all available up at blog dot tech talk radio dot com and of course the main website, tech talk radio dot com. You can check out past interviews there, reviews, the whole bit. But again we'd love your questions tech guys at tech talk radio dot com. You can share it with a friend. You can even subscribe to some of our past shows there. All right, so we want to find out what do we got for our next segment? Sean, what you got?
Speaker 4: So this this segment's going to include drones.
Speaker 1: Oh, they spoilers love the drones.
Speaker 4: Dj I, we'd we had just talked about this ay last week, right, They hadn't announced anything a long time. Wiseheadn't either, right, and then all of a sudden, it just was like it was out there. DJI announced the DGI Mini four Pro.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: It is incredible. I'm mad, and it is cheap.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm mad.
Speaker 3: Really, you can.
Speaker 4: Get the Mini four, not the Mini four Pro, just the minifour. Try to find the price here? Okay, because I lost it? Where did it go? I didn't forget it for it's like three nine.
Speaker 1: I thought it was two ninety nine? Is it three ninety nine? I think it was two hundred ninety nine bucks? And I was so ticked off when I saw that because I spent one thousand dollars on the Mini three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not finding it for that price anymore though, mind now that I'm looking for But anyways, they announced it. They said it's tune ninety nine. It was incredible, But the key factor is if you're not using the intelligent flight battery, it weighs less than the federal regulated limit for registering the drone, meaning no training, no regulations against it kind of fly however you want. Don't be stupid, but you don't have to go register. You don't have the register the FAA. You can just get it and fly it.
Speaker 1: One of the things we're gonna have to look at this week and maybe we talk about next week in the show, the register of the You know, the government has been pretty much anti DJI. There's been you know, of course, a lot of talk about that. Now they're looking at tp link. I saw a story that tp link is coming under fire because of what they're routers and their security devices and cameras could give up. So again that's something we'll have to talk about on next week's show. But if you want to find out more about this drone Sean, where do you do that?
Speaker 4: Djstore dot dji dot com. Click on the minifour pro. Are you gonna get yeah, miny dj I Mini four K. I really want to. I just dropped too much money on board games, so I got I got some time. I gotta financially recover from this.
Speaker 1: There you go. All right, that's it for this week's Tech Talk Radio. Thank you for tuning in. We'll be back next week with more. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 4: I'm Sean de Weird and I'm Justin.
Speaker 2: Let me find us again on the web tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 3: Have yourselves great week. We'll see you