Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the Tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Right, this is a Colin Moncria. Whose line is it? Anyway you're listening to tech talk radio.
Speaker 3: I don't know how it works.
Speaker 1: Oh magical shock to me.
Speaker 3: Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm justin Lemme, I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean Weird. Oh that was weird, out of order. I mean we never do that.
Speaker 1: You got to change it up once in a while, you know, every once in a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Because then.
Speaker 1: All right, so next week you've got a Sean all.
Speaker 3: Right, how are you guys doing?
Speaker 1: Man good, It's good to see you.
Speaker 3: I know you.
Speaker 1: You had a busy week. Sean just got back from vacation like wood.
Speaker 2: No, we were not glamping this time, ten ten days in the Upper Peninsula. It was not lambing it. Yes, there were cabins, right, but okay, it was a very limited technology.
Speaker 3: Well, do tell tell how does it go?
Speaker 2: It was great. We've talked about this strip before because we go to the same place every year. It's my wife's family cabins that they rent, so they're her wife's from the Escanaba, Michigan, which is part of the Peninsula and so they rent out all the cabins of a resort called Sunset Pines in Curtis, Michigan. There's about sixty five people that come to this, so it's all extended. It's her dad's side of the family. He has seven siblings. It's a big family. But it's in a rural part of northern Michigan. So it's one bar of cell phone service if you're.
Speaker 3: Lucky and they hell for you.
Speaker 2: The owners do have a starlink, but it's not accessible to people that come and stay there. You can use the hues net, which is like garbage satellite Internet.
Speaker 1: Wait, so the owners of this place, they make a point of letting everybody know, yeah, we got starlink, but you can't use it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's even starlink if you try to distribute it across I mean you'd have to add a bunch of mesh networks. It'd be not super easy to do. But it costs, like it costs money to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because you only get well starlink, you only get a limited amount of bandwidth, you know, like you sign up for tiers of bandwidth and if you got what'd you say, sixty five cabins up there.
Speaker 2: I mean, no, it's it's twelve cabins. But sixty five people.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, so okay, yeah, yeah, well sixty five people that's with their own device.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's gonna eat up your band with real quick. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I'm sure they could charge for it, but you know, it's the whole point is to not be connected on this trip.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So it's you're going fishing, you're on the beach, you're wait, are you telling me that you can actually go somewhere and not be connected to the internet.
Speaker 2: How do you do that?
Speaker 3: Whoa? I never knew it that.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic. Oh my gosh, I got.
Speaker 1: I wonder how many how many of our listeners would ever attempt that. I mean that means, I mean you have to have your smartphone with you, right, I mean you take that technology. But how do you say, Okay, I'm not gonna take this. I'm not gonna take that. You still have a plex server that you take?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: No, didn't take that?
Speaker 3: Whoa? Really well I took it.
Speaker 2: So so for the boys, right, so they nighttime, we let them watch an episode of YouTube or something. So I've downloaded a bunch of that onto an iPad A and I have. I don't need it to be on. It doesn't have internet, doesn't like Wi Fi, but it doesn't have cell phone service on it. So it's a handful of episodes that they could watch. We had our phones and an iPad.
Speaker 3: I just I'm just so flabbergasted because when I was a kid and my parents we went camping, and Andy, you can attest to this too.
Speaker 1: We went camping.
Speaker 3: First off, we didn't have smartphones back when I was a kid when we were camping, and we didn't have TV. So like when we went camping, it was like we would go out and look at bugs. We would find ant hills, and we would find sticks and try to find the best stick and of the coolest rock. Like this is what the world is missing nowadays, like everybody is so into their devices. Like couple nights ago, Eric was like, I'm bored because I told him no TV. I'm bored. Go out and find go out and find insects. And he's like what He's like, are we cavemen? And I was like, oh my god, oh it is so true. It's so true.
Speaker 2: To cerate your point, Like my boys like to watch YouTube. They like to watch the fun videos that they find. And but we will just turn music on stream Pandora or put music on that we have around the house and they will do puzzles, they'll rebooks, they do everything else but watch TV. So there, it's not always on YouTube. Yeah, back to my story. So you're lucky if you get one bar of cell phone service there, right, So if you want to get one, if you want to get service, you have to drive into town, which is like six or seven miles. And I was having issues with my phone. Right, Caitlin was able to connect and get one bar of service to check in with my parents because my phone was having issues.
Speaker 1: So, come to find out, and your phone is a what again and iPhone thirteen ro, but you have the iOS and I'm.
Speaker 2: Running and I'm running the iOS twenty six developer beta. So I was trying to figure out what was going on my phone. The battery was dying super fast, like I couldn't figure out what was going on. Even on their crappy Wi Fi it was working very well, and so I just did some investigation. Come to find out, my phone just decided you no longer have a.
Speaker 3: Sim oh oh you're kidding me.
Speaker 1: It couldn't have.
Speaker 2: So no longer have a SIM. No cell phone plan was attached to my phone period.
Speaker 1: So now were you running a physical SIM or a eSIM.
Speaker 2: So this the story gets a little more complicated. Way back when I bought my good back when I bought my phone in twenty twenty two, I bought it, got the physical sim. Two days later, it fell off the counter at work in the bathroom, onto the toa floor and shattered at the backlass. So they hadn't bought a case for it yet. So I took it to back to the Apple store because I had Apple Care, and they said, nop, no, it's covered under Apple Care. No problem. We don't have spare parts for the phones yet because I just bought it was the week of release, so I got a whole new phone. I got a whole new iPhone thirteen.
Speaker 1: Break a phone like within four days of it coming out.
Speaker 2: But at that point they didn't They wouldn't activate a new physical SIM, so they just activated an eSIM.
Speaker 3: Cool problem solved enough, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Three years later we're here, this is the problem having because not finding the SIM whatever. Drive into town to the public library and Curtis, Michigan, which is like smaller than my house, and get on there really old computer and Connective Horizon and get somebody.
Speaker 1: And I'm just picturing the dial up sound.
Speaker 2: As Connective Horizon, and you know, they have me check my email and scan a QR code with my phone and it tries to activate the sim over the Wi Fi just sits there and spins. Doesn't do anything, So you'd restart my phone, try it again, issued me a new second. Doesn't work, couldn't make it work, and I wasn't gonna. I was like, you know what, I don't have service anyways. It doesn't matter, Like I'll just deal with it when I drive back home.
Speaker 3: So two days ago, you felt naked, right, you felt naked.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I really I really didn't. I really didn't. It really didn't bother me that I was disconnected. I mean, we had Calen's phone, so if there was an emergency, it wasn't a big deal. So I go to the Apple Store and they're like, well, you're running the developer bat so why don't wait? Just because they ran a hardware skin and it said there was a hardware failure whatever, whatever, He's like, all right, let's let's restore your phone back to iOS eighteen. Oh so they restored it back to iOS eighteen, and now it was saying there were two sims in it. What the two sims that we registered with Verizon worked, But there was an issue with the developer beta that was no longer showing the sims.
Speaker 4: Oh no, now that there were now that there were, Now that there were two sims on there, I could make phone calls, but I message and text messages didn't know where to go because there were two sims and that they was conflicting.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, then it was a Verizon problem. Right, So I go over to Verizon and they're like, oh, this is weird. Cool, let me pop out your physical SIM card. I was like, wait, I don't have a physical SIM card. Pops the store open. There's a physical SIM card?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: I had a physical SIM card the whole time.
Speaker 3: Was it the the SIM from the other one? It had to have been.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I thought, but my phone never had a physical SIM attached to it. It was always an SIM. So they moved the SIM card over.
Speaker 3: Is this some David Blaine stuff?
Speaker 2: So anyway, she's the lady. Fors Is like, we have to activate a new sim. We'll give you a new physical sim card. It's like perfect, great, new physical sim card. Perfect, let's do it. Solve the problem. An hour at Verizon and it was up and running. It was fine. Update back to the developer beta.
Speaker 3: Run my, How would you do that?
Speaker 2: Because my iCloud backup is in developer beta. I couldn't know.
Speaker 3: This is why you don't do betas.
Speaker 2: Oh so I don't have a current you know, I'm a month in on the developer beta. I don't have a current iOS eight team backup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, betas back.
Speaker 2: Onto the iOS twenty six beta. Can't figure out how to restore my To get my iCloud backup, I had to erase the phone once I moved it up to iOS twenty six to then restore from making a new device and then restore from my iclub backup.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm sorry, hold on, we'll say you said that they they they reverted your phone back to iOS eighteen. Correct, that was the iOS back four years ago? No, no, no, no, what is the current iOS right now?
Speaker 2: iOS eighteen?
Speaker 3: So why are you talking about?
Speaker 1: You're on iOS twenty six that's the beta for what that's the beta.
Speaker 2: So iOS twenty six is going to be the new iOS.
Speaker 3: Coming in what happened in nineteen? It went from me, they went to fiveteen.
Speaker 2: They went from eighteen to twenty six.
Speaker 3: Name this is why I don't like Apple.
Speaker 1: They pulled a Microsoft.
Speaker 2: So I upgrade it, I restore or you know, reset all the settings and then reimage it to my iclub backup and everything's fuck fine because when I went to Apple, they had said, hey, your battery is at like seventy total seventy percent total battery life, bring it back in, will replace the battery for free because it's covered in your Apple care. I said, deployment for Monday. Went back in Monday. They're like, oh great, everything worked out. You were you know, glad you worked out yesterday for you? Oh you put it back on the developer beta. We we won't service any devices on the developer beta. We dorade back to I was.
Speaker 1: Eighteen, so you had to go back to eighteen again.
Speaker 2: I had to go back to eighteen. Things the hold up back to eighteen?
Speaker 3: Do replace a battery?
Speaker 2: I whatever?
Speaker 1: This is why everybody, you don't do betas.
Speaker 3: No, this is why you don't go with Apple?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, everybody, every company does some kind of beta that's that gets messed up.
Speaker 3: No, yes, this is why you don't go with Apple.
Speaker 2: So then I had to, you know, I left the Apples. You know, it took him in an hour to do the battery. So I walked down the mall, which was weird.
Speaker 3: Spend more money?
Speaker 1: Did you buy an androids?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Mostly empty stores, right.
Speaker 2: Mostly empty stores. Yeah, I walked too, like an fye, which was awful. It's just like cheap garbage, like pop culture garbage. I mean, it was just it was an interesting experience walking around the mall.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Got lunch at the food court, which is good.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what'd you get? What'd you get there?
Speaker 2: Which one Asian something?
Speaker 3: I don't Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, of course that's all they have that in the ciborrow they got to have borrow to borrow and in a random Asian restaurant.
Speaker 3: That's all they have at food courts anymore.
Speaker 2: But uh so ended up coming coming home, had to do the same thing, had to update it to iOS twenty six. We still we okay, can we redo my iCloud again?
Speaker 1: Well wait a minute, couldn't you have gone. Couldn't you have gone onto a Mac and then connect it to your iCloud and gotten it that way.
Speaker 2: You can't go from iOS eighteen, okay, iCloud backup, that's in a different version. You have to go to that version.
Speaker 1: Of It's like on that device.
Speaker 2: I had to go up to iOS twenty six Developer Beta, then wipe it so it was as a new device, right, and then restore it from my iCloud.
Speaker 3: You know, if Tim Cook is listening to this show, probably laughing his butt.
Speaker 1: Off right now, probably frustrating.
Speaker 3: That has got to be.
Speaker 1: That is so frust that's the same frustrations I ran in two shone with this new laptop. All right, number one. I mean I wanted to ask you guys. I got a Lenovo five point thirty right. I bought it back in twenty nineteen, and it was great. Everything was great. One morning I used it, I had it on a table and then somebody said, oh, I need a file. Can you send me the file? So I went, got it off that laptop, put it on a flash drive, went to my desktop and did it that way. I get to work and I open up and plug everything in, I open it up wouldn't power up, couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. No power checked the charger. I had a light there. I had a light that it was charging nothing, nothing at all. So I had to go without. I had to go without a laptop.
Speaker 3: It was like for a whole show. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: So I get it home and I start, you know, reading about it, and I go ahead and I open it up. I look, everything's connet right, it looks good. And I read about this Novo button that Milanovos have on the side of them, so you have a power button. And the way that this one's designed is terrible. It's got the keyboard up on top. It's basically a sealed keyboard, right, it's not like the keyboard that pops through. And you've got a power button. So the only way to get to this button is by removing the motherboard this, you know, the fan system, everything, and so I don't know it's the button screwed up. So I press the Novo button and a power I get a power light and it comes on and I'm like, well, there's no message, no warning, nothing, It's working. So I'm all happy and I think, okay, whatever it was it's it's fixed. I shut it off. The next day, I decided to take a look at it. I got power up, no power, so I thought, hmm, maybe that Novo button has something to do with it. I pull the back off of it again and I push that button and nothing, and I'm I'm like frustrated, sothing. It's got to be maybe the Sea Moss battery. So I go ahead and I order a Sea Moss battery. Then I'm thinking, well, maybe it's the battery itself. You know, it didn't feel swelling. So I ordered the battery right that comes from I Fix It seventy dollars, so I get that. I get that in a couple of days, and I hook it all up and it powers up. But it doesn't power up with a power button on top. It powers up with the Novo button, So I think, okay, there's something else here. And then it's when I shut it down, right, I go to start it up again, same thing. I have to disconnect the Sea Moss and the battery, wait a second, reconnect it, and then power it. Hit that Novo button and it powers up. So I have no idea it full. Once it's powered up, it performs great.
Speaker 3: I don't know exactly in your particular case, but it does sound like it's a failing motherboard. But I can tell you right now, I've had the exact, almost exact same experience with my laptop recently. So I have a work laptop. I have an Aceus rog Strix, really nice. You know, it's I think I.
Speaker 1: Remember when you got it. It's top of the line.
Speaker 3: It's top of the line. It's classified as a gaming laptop. I don't necessarily use it for gaming. I use it for a lot of photoshop, video editing things that I have to do it where because I have to troubleshoot a lot of other people's problems so they have a problem with like photoshop. I have to have Photoshop so I can figure out what's going on with it. Right anyway, top of the line laptop. All of a sudden, just recently, it was about probably about a month ago, two months ago. Maybe I would just notice that I would shut it down and when I would go to turn it back on the keyboard because it's an RGB keyboard, the keyboard would flash up and then nothing and it would just it would it would be nothing. The black screen no boot logo, nothing. It would just go back to being dead. And I pressed the button again power button and then the same thing. Or to flash up nothing, I would have to hold down the power button for sixty seconds, not thirty sixty, because sixty will reset the sea moss. It like clears it almost it clears the sea mos. Yeah, and then boom it would power up just fine. But day and time was wrong because oh yeah, it clears the sea moss. So I would find that it would happen. It started happening once, then it would happen again, and then again again again, and then again again again again again again. It would happen more and more often as time went on, and so I started looking up this this this problem, and there was no concrete evidence about it. But it does sound similar to what your problem is, Andy. It from what I can deduce from looking at resources using AI and also forums, it's a problem with the motherboard. It could be problem with the CPU coming loose from the motherboard because these computers, especially mine. I don't know about yours, but mine was like again classified as a gaming laptop. It had a very powerful graphics card. The fans were always blowing like crazy. It could be overheating and eventually melted some of the contacts of the motherboard that could be and so I finally was like, look, I can't. I can't do this anymore. I can't.
Speaker 2: I have to have a.
Speaker 3: Laptop that works for work. So I went to my boss and I said, look, I know I just bought this laptop for like nineteen hundred dollars a couple of years ago. It's not working, and I have to have as the IT manager. I have to have a laptop that works. So I said, do I have your permission to get in the laptop? And he's like, yeah, that's fine. So I bought an HP Omen sixteen Max. You went with an HP that surprises me a fan of HP.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: But I did a lot of research on this and I said, look, I need to stay within a certain amount of budget because I don't have a lot of money in my budget for work. I said, I need to be a powerful computer. I needed to be able to have a great graphics card for you know, doing photo and video editing, just in case I need it. But I do need it to have a good CPU. Now, my a SEUs, the one that was having problems. Was an Intel I nine uh, thirteenth, Jen, I want to say, that's a.
Speaker 1: Pretty good good.
Speaker 2: Well, so was it? Was it the micro code issue that you had?
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 2: So in the thirteen and fourteenth generations nine's had micro code issues where the micro code would literally melt literally melt the processor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I okay, here's the thing. So with that, a SEUs, my employee has the exact same computer as me, exact like we bought two copies of that computer. His is also having the exact same issue.
Speaker 2: That's gotta be probably the micro code issue.
Speaker 3: Yes, So now this micro code issue, can you explain more about it? Like, I'll let you look it up. Let me continue with my story after the.
Speaker 2: Break, I'll kind of give a recap on what the micro code is.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, please please do because this is very interesting to me because I don't know about this. So anyway, I decided to go instead of Intel because I heard about there was issues with the thirteenth and fourteen gen I went with an AMD rise in nine. So the hp omen Max sixteen has an AMD rise In nine, right, and it has an RTX fifty sixty. Oh man, wow, which is really interesting because half the time this is okay, this is really weird. But when I launched the Nvidia app on the on the computer right, Windows tells me I have a forty seventy, But the Nvidia app tells me I have a fifty sixty. And when I go to groc and I tell it I have an hp omen Max sixteen with an RTX fifty sixty, it says, oh, the user must be confused. There is no such thing is a fifty sixty. They must have a forty seventy. Are you kidding me? And Vidio recognizes it as a fifty sixty, and that's what it was sold as. It was a fifty sixty.
Speaker 1: But I can tell you right now, I have tested it with some video editing apps.
Speaker 3: I even went ahead. I even did the unthinkable. I installed Balder's Gate three right on this, which is one of the most graphically intensive games. It runs it like butter Really to hear the fans fans, No, the fans are hardly even present. Now that's the big difference because between my aceus had a thirty seventy TI, so it's two generations older. So even though on paper that the thirty seventy TI is more powerful than the fifty sixty. The fifty sixty is a lot more power efficient, so I can I can run these these these power hungry apps with a lot less power and a lot less fan and a lot less heat.
Speaker 1: HP has always been and I some of the longest living laptops I had have been hps. But then HP got into this this area there where I mean, yeah, they bought, they bought you know, other companies that had a gaming you know line, the whole bit, the omen uh. And they then they got accused of bloatwear, and we just saw a lot of bloatwear, a lot of stuff that was.
Speaker 3: Like this didn't come with any blotwear, which was crazy. Really yeah for an HP that's caught me. Yeah, no, seriously, this did not come with any bloatwear at all.
Speaker 1: So I ended up I ended up doing this, say, I had to get a laptop because I use it for work, business, the whole bit. And I was I was thinking, well, I've had I had that. I had good luck with an Asus that eventually died, but it been in service for many years. Then I went to this Lenovo, being the fact that it was in service for five six years and then it's it's been giving me problems. I was like trying to figure out what to get. I go to Walmart. They had their their rog. They had a rog that was there, you know, Asus Republican gamers. It was their top of the line. It was marked down to twelve hundred dollars from sixteen hundred dollars, but it was missing keys and it looked like it had been beat up. And I asked the clerk, I said, do you have any open box you know of? This one that's marked down to twelve hundred. No, that's the one, I said, but it's missing keys. And I said, tell you what, you marked it down to nine, I'll buy it. Said, well, you could talk to the manager. And I went to the manager and I said, I told them the same thing. Well, you know, well somebody will come along and probably just want it, and I thought, okay, I'm not going to spend that money on it. I ended up get myself another Lenovo and it's it's an AMD. My first time back to the AMD platform after so many years being Intel. Let's see, IDA has gotten so much better. I'm pretty impressed the problem with this thing and it's been driving I reinstalled about three times. Was Windows Microsoft, Windows wants to attach to everything, One drive wants to be your best friend, and one drive. So one drive actually screwed up my install in the studio because it grabbed the desktop and I don't know what it did. It just destroyed my desktop of another computer just because it was they were sharing files on one drive. The worst experience ever. And I don't mind one drive for a document like being able to upload it and grab my document. I don't want it to share desktops. I don't want it to do all this. I have a backup solution for Micronus. Just leave me alone when it comes to one drive. Just just was awful. And I think I finally got it set up. And now my big question I asked you justin the other day. Should I go with a local install like a local user on Windows, or do I do the log into my Windows account, my Microsoft account and go that way. Some people have said go with local instead, So that's why I wasn't sure what to do.
Speaker 2: Connecting my computer to an account that is solely based by Microsoft scares the crap out of me. Yeah, why would you not just build a local account that's my opinion, Like, that's what I do for my computers, right, and I just connect things internally, like if my outlook, I've got other things that I'll connect to, but I don't because you have to authentic. I feel like it's gonna have to authenticate to their servers every time you connect to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just be like.
Speaker 2: An active directory. I would just do local user like I wouldn't connect it to an account.
Speaker 3: I say, I've always just done what Microsoft wants because part of it is. Part of it is because they make it so gosh darn difficult to not do what they want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly, the reminders, the.
Speaker 3: Nags, well not even the next You can't even install Windows now without connecting to a Microsoft account. If you go to install a fresh copy of Windows, it's like, all right, here's the part where you have to set up Windows, sign into your account. There's no SKIP, there's some work around there. There's a workaround, but you have to type in a special command reboot the computer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's you can't. You can't ben, you can't have it plugged in. You can't have the Wi Fi card plugged in because if it takes any semblance of the Internet. It's like, whoa, you've got internet, bro? You got you gotta Yeah, we know what you're doing. You can't have an Internet cord plugged in. You can't have the Wi Fi plugged in like it knows that.
Speaker 3: Can you just say wi Fi plugged in? You do you even Wi Fi? Bro?
Speaker 2: So when I tried to do it, I built a computer for my niece. I had to physically pull the the p C I E wireless card out of it because it would not You kept saying you've got wireless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: As I did that, ran the you know, no pass whatever as shift F ten whatever the code is. Well, I told you once I disconnected the Wi Fi card from the from the motherboard, let me do it without.
Speaker 1: I think it's like what ab ab up down, updown, left right start? Yeah, yeah, I told you. The system in the studio got messed up. Now I can work my production stiff systems okay. But the other one that I use for yeah, you know, editing and stuff like that. So I'm thinking maybe it's time just put Linux mint on this on one of them. But and then I was thinking, well, the problem is then can I network. You know, can I network with the other computers?
Speaker 3: Of course you can.
Speaker 1: And I started asking, uh chat GPT, all these technical questions, and it told me, yeah, use Samba. Apparently, if you're on Linux Mint and you use Samba, yeah you can network. No limitations honestly to what you want to do. I mean, you know, obviously there's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be some Linux is just making like, here's the thing. Every time Microsoft makes a mess up and they and they take one step back, Linux takes like a half a step forward.
Speaker 1: It's just the thing about getting into people.
Speaker 3: This is gonna take over.
Speaker 1: It's it's the thing about getting into people's hands that hey, here's something you could try. It's either gonna be relatively inexpensive or free, and this will do what you wanted to do. But it's not gonna look too different. Microsoft keeps changing the the out the well not outlook the look for its OS anyways, So why not here here's something you may be familiar with. It looks like Windows TAN or Windows.
Speaker 3: The problem with Linux, though, there's I could go on and on about Linux, but but here's the thing. But the problem with Linux is one of the main problems is as soon as people start to get into Linux. It's like that that that famous meme where the guy is hand in hand at the girl, but he's looking back at the other more attractive girl. That okay, so so okay. Let's imagine the guy is the user. The girl that he's hand in hand with is Lenox. Meant the girl that he's looking back at is Windows twelve. And that's what happens every single time. Every same time Lenox makes a couple of steps, Windows is like, hey, we got this brand new operating system. It's pretty sweet. Everybody's like, okay, I'll go back to Windows again.
Speaker 1: If you see. I don't know. Here's the thing. I think Microsoft believes that everybody wants AI. That's why they're they're sticking everybody.
Speaker 2: Major tech company thinks everybody wants AI. And I we talked about this after the Worldwide Developer Conference about how Apples this has prost distanced themselves from their own AI. They've integrated ched GBT into the new i' you know, iPhone, the new iOS, and I think that Apple's just coming around realizing that AI is not all it's cut up to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, maybe in certain aspects.
Speaker 3: But there's a whole nother conversation about AI I could have. We got to take a break.
Speaker 1: Come back, Sean, you looked up some stuff on this this code this this microprocessor code error that Intel had with thirteen fourteen gen. So we'll go over that when we come back with tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm Justin. Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Now back to tech talk Radio. So before the break, we were talking about Justin's laptop woes. Yeah, and when you mentioned the I nine processor thirteenth gen, I really keyed into Hey, twenty twenty four. Intel when they released the I thirteen or the I nine thirteen and then the I nine fourteen generations, they had a pretty significant issue with those processes.
Speaker 1: Was it twenty twenty four or twenty twenty three? I think it might have been twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: It was well, okay, see okay, But to think about the one when I bought it, it was twenty twenty gosh, I want to say it was twenty twenty three, late twenty twenty three, but it was definitely an I nine thirteenth gen.
Speaker 2: So they identified, so you're you're probably right. So they identified the problem mid August of twenty twenty four, so likely it affected probably early I thirteen curls.
Speaker 3: It could also be because of all the different Windows updates, some with Windows might have also done something to it. But yeah, go ahead, So this is.
Speaker 2: Not a Windows issue. This is an Intel CPU issue.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So the TLDR on this is that there's an instability on the Intel I nine, thirteen and fourteen gendesktops CPUs that stemmed from microcode bugs causing excessive voltage and permanent chip degradation. So basically, the code that runs on the chip itself handling voltage regulation was failing, literally burning up the CPUs. So it issued a series of fixes via bios updates to basically updates to basically cap the voltage and protect some of the unaffected chips.
Speaker 1: But you didn't do a BIOS update on it.
Speaker 3: No, No, I have looked and looked and looked. I have done I have I have. I have done Driver Easy, which I again I've I've talked about Driver Easy many many times on this show. It's an amazing program. I have done Driver Easy. I have gone to a Sus' website, there is absolutely no bios updates since from since June of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Wow, that seems kind of strange.
Speaker 3: Nothing. Yeah, so it says too up to the fix.
Speaker 2: It says the fix. It's not a fix. It says stop to your bios and then used all the default said it. All the default pastas are settings on your bios and if you're still seeing crashes are man because they extended the warranty for the nines.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, hold on, they extended the warranty. Yes, okay, because I tried.
Speaker 1: To actually go to a Seus's website and type in my serial number and it said it was not under warranty anymore. Uh, that's interesting because it should be.
Speaker 2: I'm Intel expanded as warranty in August of twenty twenty four, adding two extra years onto affected retail and O coreines I seventh and some I five Raptor Lak models including k KF, ks F and non K variants.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I don't know how to resolve this. Then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm holding on to my Lenovo hoping maybe I can find a fix for that.
Speaker 3: Well that I'm holding onto this too. I mean, I was literally about to give it to my intern and say, here, take it apart and see what you can learn about a PC. But I don't. I don't want to do that because it's such an expensive PC.
Speaker 1: Or I could sell mine and just say it just unplugged the sea mus, unplug the battery, plug it in at work.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But now now both both machines you guys are talking about are running the iines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine's the I seven So yeah, so it's the thirteen and fourteenth gen, right, so it could be an I seven thirteen gen.
Speaker 3: I think it istant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I would look into seeing if maybe reaching out to tell specifically and not.
Speaker 1: A sus oh that's right, justin see Andy, this is why I told you we should bring Sean on the show specifically somebody else might be listening to this that has gone through this, and yeah, because Sean is like Sean is like that guy.
Speaker 3: He's like James Bond's cue, like he's the guy that does all the research in the bank. We can't figure it out. He's like, oh, yeah, here's your problem, Sean. You're gonna have to do.
Speaker 2: So that's a blessing in disguise. Because it's painstaking for me to buy anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, because I have to do.
Speaker 2: Like thirty review checks.
Speaker 3: I want to get in asking you, Sean before I buy anything. I'd be like, hey, what do you think about this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I just love technology, man.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, Sean has to do the show from now on in a British accent, though, just like.
Speaker 5: You can you just give us an example of what your British Come on, we gotta hear it, we gotta hear it, just once, just to jolly good, jolly good.
Speaker 1: I'm a real brit so I can. I can listen and I might.
Speaker 2: I might get a no doc and be gone.
Speaker 1: And if I do that, even if you're doing is this? Uh what is it that? Michael Caine?
Speaker 3: But maybe I'm just like, can you do it? Michael King? And Andy?
Speaker 1: Uh? No, I can't. I can do an Assie, that's about it. Like the tech technology, don't. It takes me a while to get into it.
Speaker 3: You know. I can actually do an Aussie too, can you really? I can do it? Hold on, let me let me travel.
Speaker 2: You guys go into on here.
Speaker 3: Just I just we do that.
Speaker 1: Respect for Ozzy. A lot of you were you at the station when Ozzie came in two thousand and one, because you were working with us back then.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course I was. So.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw him, but it was pretty cool. Yeah, yeah, it came amazing came to this, but yes, rest in peace.
Speaker 2: So reach out to Intel.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, okay, reach out. Thanks for getting back on track there, Sean. And wait, so wa are you talking about? Should we literally reach out to Intel or the manufacturer of the laptop? I think Intel? First, Well, how how could Intel? I mean, what's Intel gonna do. Intel's gonna be like, well, you got to reach out to your manufacturer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably He's right, an Intel problem. Well okay, but but they're not gonna literally like, are they gonna take my laptop back and put it with a different Intel.
Speaker 2: There's a serial number on your ZPU, take it out, take the serial number and take it to Intel and say I'm having this issue, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fix it. Here's an interesting thing too. And one other thing I would mention justin is do a search for a class action lawsuit just to see if anybody else has had the same issue. Uh, this happened to me just a few weeks ago, I had a customer bring me a laptop that they said, can you put you know, Windows ten on it? And it had Windows seven and I said, yeah, let me let me take a look at it. I went off to I found a license for Windows ten on stack Social. It was cheap and I think it went through a group on or whatever whatever it was. I think it was eleven bucks. Right, it's a lot better than paying one hundred and seven dollars. So I got that, got that installed. Everything was fine. One of the things. The other thing you wanted was the hinge fixed. So on this Tashiba six fifty five, you'd go to open the laptop and it'd be fine, but then you go to close it and the whole back right started lifting up, and then you have to snap it down. So I went in and I took it apart to look at it, and the plastic that was holding the little screws in place that hold the mounts for the hinge where they were shattered. They're completely broken. And I'm like, this is just awful. You know, I'm gonna there's no way to fix this. I thought, try it a little monster here, you know, glue or gorilla glue. No, that's not going to work. So I ended up going online and I got lucky. I found a laptop the same brand, same year, the whole bit, for twenty dollars and this is on eBay, and I said I'll take a chance, so I bought it. I paid maybe twenty dollars for shipping as well, and I get this laptop in open. I opened it up and the Hinge system completely different it. The Hinge system had a metal plate on it that held everything in place so it wouldn't snap. And I thought, this is pretty amazing, this is cool. So I ended up changing out everything, you know. I had to take motherboard out, the whole bit and got it into this case and now perfect with the hinges the whole bit. But while I was doing the research for this, I found out it was a class action lawsuit against to Shiba for this Hinge system that was breaking on everybody that was opening and closing their laptops.
Speaker 3: Really, but it was too.
Speaker 1: Late because it had already been satisfied that you know, with the courts. It was too late to try and file and claim just other people. This luck luckily, this this laptop I k got in didn't have that issue. Matter of fact, I think it came out after this model, this guy's model, so they had fixed it and I just got lucky there.
Speaker 3: But interesting, Yeah, I'll double I'll I'll check into that. Yeah, I mean, I just I think the problem also is like a SU's customer support is pretty much non existent.
Speaker 1: Everything is that way, now, don't you think customer support It's hard to get in touch with anybody, and if you do.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's just AI. Yeah. It's like usually you're like you're talking to some like it's like, Hi, I'm Greg, how can I help you today? And I'm like, Greg, are you an AI? And it's like, yes, I'm an AI and I'm here to assist you. I'm like, put me in touch with a real person. Yeah, I'm sorry, Dave, I cannot do that.
Speaker 1: That's your two thousand and one voice. Yeah, yeah, no, it's it's frustrating. But I was thinking about this. I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm restarting my design business, my service business, going a little more forward with it, and I just I get so much spam calls and their local spam calls. Now I must say I am on Exfinity. A lot of the information Exfinity had a big hack. A lot of that got out there that had my home residents, that had my phone number, my name, business, the whole bit, and that's how they got the information. So I'm thinking it's time to change the phone numbers and time to change emails and just start over and see hopefully I won't get somebody else, because businesses have to deal with that now. Spam calls to the front desk, you know, what do you do? There Is there any service that will block them, you know? Or do you just offshoot them to an AI service that will answer your call for you?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, a couple a couple quick thoughts about this. I actually subscribe to a daily newsletter that comes into my inbox every day. It's Roca News. And this might be like the website of the week. I don't know. We'll talk about it later. But one of their common advertisers is Incognito, and they always talk about Incognito. You know, you sign up with them, it's like, I don't know, thirty bucks a year or something like that. I don't know exactly, but they promised to like remove your information from the Internet.
Speaker 1: As best as they can, especially the dark web. Oh and they claim that they.
Speaker 3: Can reduce spam call spam emails by ninety percent, So that's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty vague.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's a bold claim, but it might be something to look into. Incognito is one of those websites that that might might help you out.
Speaker 1: All right, we had to take another quick break. You want to talk a little bit about AI as well. I know we have a listener question as well and a comment on our website that it's got a lot of people upset, So we'll do that when we come back.
Speaker 3: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm sir, and I'm justin. Let me send us an X at tech talk Radio. As long as you're not spam we'll be right back. And now back to tech Talk Radio. So we were talking a little bit about AI in the past here past couple of segments. I recently read an article that talked about the top jobs that would be affected by AI top I think it was top twenty five jobs be affected by AI and the top twenty five jobs that would not be affected by AI. Really okay, and I want to ask you Andy first, Yeah, what industry do you think would be affected the most by AI? And what would you think we affected the least? And I'm going to ask Sean the same question.
Speaker 1: Well, the most by AI would be like a online like publication, you know, all of the stuff. Journal list, Yeah, journalist.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I know that radio has been affected by it. You know, that has been one of the things as far as the least medical profession anything in the world of medical you can't have, you know, AI doing a diagnosis for you. So that would be one that I don't think would be touched.
Speaker 3: How about you, Sean, Yeah, copywriting journalism for the first Okay, Yeah, I think that by far, hands down.
Speaker 2: It's that's that's somebody's job was to pull the wires. And I worked in justin you know, you worked in news, and Andy you worked in radio, kind of same thing. Somebody's job was to read the wires and write copy and put it on the website.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now it's just all a I generated. It just reads the wire and it spits out a copy that's got a little bit of flavor for the local station, and it's done Ye transcribing, so anybody that's anybody's transcription Live captioning M or how about least least trucking.
Speaker 1: Okay, physical physical, I mean, I know that it's coming with down the road, but it's down down there.
Speaker 2: But that's there's so much more regulation in the auto industry for AI then, But I think the more physical like physical goods moving and physical goods shipping, logistics, Like there's AI involved, right, but people still have to move the content from place to place. So shipping and logistics in the physical portion of it. Not the logistics side of it, the planning in the the freight and the calculations and the that mileage and the fuel and like that's all gonna get taken over a hands down, but the actual like driving of the vehicles.
Speaker 1: I don't know they're talking about AI driving vehicle.
Speaker 3: So okay, okay, let's let me interject here, let me interject. Okay, So Andy, what did you say was the most It was just journalist journalism online. You also said journalism, okay, so that was definitely on the list of the most affected. It was like the I think it was like the fifteenth. I don't have the list in front of me right now. It was like the fifteenth most affected. The other ones that were affected were basically all of the top college degree jobs whoa anything that had a college degree was going to be affected by AI, including computer programming, including you know, banking, including just basically any If you look down the list, it was pretty much anything with a college degree. Now you said least least affected by it, Sean, you mentioned trucking. Trucking was actually on the list of the most affected because of AI cars like like self driving trucks.
Speaker 1: They've been doing the test on the list test in Phoenix with these these trucks that eighteen wheelers there. So that that right there is is on the list of most affected.
Speaker 3: The least affect did jobs that, according according to this one particular study. Okay, I'm not saying this is all you know, set in stone trade jobs, plumbing, electricians, hvac, anything that requires hands on these were the least affected jobs. Now this is kind of interesting because you know, we talk about people like you know, kids growing up. They're like, oh my god, you've got to go to college. You got to get a degree, you got to be successful in the world. You got to get a degree. But there's so many people out there that are like, no, you don't necessarily have to get a degree. You need to get a trade. Go go study a trade, Go go be an electrician, Go be a plumber, Go go do this. And I know these people like these are like, these are not office jobs. These are not regarded in today's society as being the most prestigious jobs. But I'll tell you right now, these are the jobs that are not going to be affected by AI regard list of what AI ends up turning out to be. These are the jobs that are still going to require human hands to do this, and trade skills are just becoming more and more prevalent in today's society versus going to college, getting a four year degree, coming out and then finding no jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of Oh, that's that's scary, especial spending all that money for the education and then find out there's.
Speaker 3: No That's why I'm not I'm not pushing for Eric, my son. You know, he's eight and a half years old. I'm not pushing for him to go to college. Now. We're not We're not at the point where I'm talking about him going to trade school. I mean, he doesn't even know about what that means. Yeah, but I'm I'm gonna tell him. Look, man, there's other options out there besides just college, like especially when it comes to the world of AI, if AI is going to take over journalism, which was very high on the list. Let me try to think of other ones that are out there. Medical medical was even on the list of most related. Yes, medical medical assistant was on the list of being the most effective because doctors are turning to AI to help diagnose certain ailments.
Speaker 1: I like how some medical offices are using technology like tablets. You know, you go in, you're giving a tablet, and then you enter your information onto that tablet, and it is sort of the same way, you know, but it number one reduces the paperwork load and number two makes it faster for you to be processed. But will they eventually get rid of those people that are checking you in when you go to the hospital, whether you're having a baby or having heart surgery.
Speaker 2: I have a.
Speaker 3: Bone to pick with that, and I think our listeners will too. Every time I go to the doctor's office, they asked me before I come in, they asked me fill out this online questionnaire. Right, I type my name, my social Security number, I type in all my ailments. I type in do I have you know all these different diseases. No, no, no, no, no no no. Right. I get to the office, They're like, okay, now you need to check in. They give me another tablet asking me the same damn thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then I get into the waiting room and the doctor comes in and.
Speaker 2: Ask me the same damn questions.
Speaker 1: You are one hundred percent correct, correct, so stupid. Sorry, there is a there is a certain amount of redundancy while trying to be the Department of repump department, the Department of Redundancy department.
Speaker 3: Damn it.
Speaker 1: All right, we gotta take a break.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 1: We'll come back with more of tech Talk Radio. Uh, you have a website of the week. We got a listener question and if we can get this in, but we're gonna try with more of that. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Seanda Weird, and I'm justin Lemmy and I'm mad.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back and factor tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 1: One of the things I love working with these guys is I can say something in all seriousness and it can be misconstrued. It could be thrown because we were talking here. What should we talk about here for this next segment? Things that are important I thought you don't. When we're in the summer months like we are and it gets really hot, we need to talk about your technology. Your computer's in heat. And of course Justin had the question that just just works it out perfectly.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about like, wait, are we talking about computers and heat like they're gonna reproduce or are we talking about.
Speaker 2: When two computers love each other.
Speaker 3: They're just gonna come together to have a little baby computer.
Speaker 2: But make sure you have a proper antivirus.
Speaker 3: Protection, folks.
Speaker 1: And that, kids, is where flash drives come from.
Speaker 3: The USB can only go in one way, all right.
Speaker 1: Seriously, though, when it comes to your computers and heat, you got to be careful. Don't leave them in your car, remember.
Speaker 2: Now, any any technology. Heat is the killer of most technology, right, That's why there's fans, that's why. Yeah, and obviously you're going, you know, and we don't have this problem.
Speaker 1: But you ever grab your smartphone and it's it like tells you it's got warning where you know it's overheated, and it was just sitting on the like on this on the you know charging plate that's that you drive with, so it's your hands free and it can heat up just being in the car.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, truthfully, yes, but we also don't live in Arizona where it's one hundred and fifty thousand degrees. True.
Speaker 1: Well, you still have to worry about that, don't you. I mean, the sun isn't in Colorado.
Speaker 2: You know my car gets hot enough to worry about. I mean I've ruined at least one dash cam having it mounted in the windshield all the time. And then lens is a focal point and it focuses the sun so it can mount the internals that can destroy cameras.
Speaker 3: So you know what, I think I have the name of the show.
Speaker 1: All right, what is the name of the show?
Speaker 3: This week's show Computers Love each Other? There you go. I think that works all right.
Speaker 1: Quick website of the week? Anybody got one?
Speaker 3: I do. It's called incogny and I was ok about earlier, so it's I n coog ni and cogni dot com. It claims to be able to protect you from identity theft, from spam, from online stocking, from doxing, digital redlining, spam calls. Okay, the website actually just keeps repeating itself. Here, I'm just reading off the website. It's a great website. So it's a thirty day money back guarantee. It's been talked about on tech Radar, cyber News, PC Gamer, nord VPN, shurp Shark. It's a really good website and it kind of promises to kind of just take your information off of the web so you're not as susceptible to all of these you know, these these fake people that are calling we're spamming you or whatever.
Speaker 1: I'd love to see comparison between LifeLock and Incognitiate and LifeLock.
Speaker 3: I LifeLock, I don't.
Speaker 2: My My one question is say I say I pay for one year, right, they wipe my data? What happens if I don't renew it that one year?
Speaker 3: They put it back?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: They're like, wow, I guess we have all your data here. You better pay us. We're going to put it back. No, I think. I think honestly, what it is is they remove it and then if you don't renew it, they're not going to keep looking for your data. They're just your data is going to naturally reappear on these websites as you continue your life. So if you keep paying for that, they're going to keep going out finding your data and removing it from the web, the dark web, from all these data brokers. Things like that, so stocking, doxing, swatting, discrimination, physical harm, black mare, extortion, spam, email, spam calls, digital redlining, fishing, things fishing. They're gonna get rid of it all, that's what they claim. There's a thirty day money back guarantee you can go in Cogni dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good when two computers love each other. The theme for the show. Thank you so much for joining in. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Shonda Weird.
Speaker 3: And I'm Justin. Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com. Have yourselves great week. We'll see you next time.