Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Monday, June ninth. I'm Amy King. Thanks for starting your day with us. WHOA what a weekend? Huh protests all weekend long and the residuals continued overnight. We're gonna bring you the latest. We're gonna have all the updates, let you know what happened, what's about to happen. We're checking in with the ABC's Alex Stone, who's been covering the protests all weekend. Of course, we had our Michael Monks on it even got tear gas that was nice. I'm being facetious, but it seems like things have calmed down a bit over overnight, although there were still protesters out overnight. But like I said, we're going to keep you updated with that. We're going to bring you all up to date, see what happened while you were sleeping. And then we're also going to because the world continues to turn. We're going to also cover the other things that have been happening around the world and right here in LA during this time. So here's what's ahead on wake up Call. Plumes of black smoke have risen into the skies over downtown La as ICE immigration protests turned violent yesterday, prompting police to declare a tactical alert and an unlawful assembly call for all of downtown. The one oh one remained closed in We're going to get the latest on that from Will Coleschreibers. At the north it's the southbound lanes right.
Speaker 4: Actually, it looks like everything's open.
Speaker 1: They got it open finally. Okay, that's good. That's good because that was a mess. We'll be telling you about that. Several hundred National Guard members have arrived in LA to assist in protecting federal property during the ice protests. President Trump called up two thousand and also put marines at Camp Pendleton on standby in case they're needed. LA Mayor Bass and Governor Newsom say they are not needed and are a dangerous escalation. LA schools will be in session today in spite of the unrest. District authorities say they support families in any decision that's best for the students in the circumstances, and that the demonstration would be monitored for updates. The man caught up in an ice sweep in Maryland and deported to a Central American prison has been returned to the US. ABC. Stephen Portenoy's going to join us at five point twenty to tell us what's next for the alleged MS thirteen member Kilmar Abrago Garcia. And of course, the big news over the weekend, because I am an optimist, Gizmo left the nest. So Sonny and Gizmo, our big Bear Eglitz have both left the nest. They were pretty much gone all weekend, but I checked last night and they're both back in the nest this morning. So we're gonna check with We're gonna check in with Sandy Steersy, executive director at Friends of Big Bear Valley, find out how our eagles are doing and what is next as they continue their journey. It was so cool to see it, although Gizmo kind of fell out of the nest oops, but she made it and she did great, and she spent the weekend away and then they both came back last night, so we'll keep you all up to date on that. Again. We'll be talking to Sandy Steers at five point fifty, So let's get started with the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Of course, we're talking protests. Dozens of arrests have been made during the demonstrations in downtown. La Police declared that unlawful assembly yesterday in the area of Alameda Street, where National Guardsmen were positioned outside the Federal Building. Kfi's Michael Monks was there and says the troopers responded in mediately when confronted.
Speaker 5: These shields went down, the helmet mask came down, and the pushing started, the tear gas started, and this crowd just cleared out in an instant.
Speaker 1: It was a third day that demonstrators got violent. The LAPD requested mutual aid last night from the La County Sheriff's Department, which sent more than one hundred deputies to support the department and the Highway patrol. Sheriff Robert Luna says they were mostly tasked with clearing people out of the area.
Speaker 6: As we're doing this and we see that the crowds are not diminishing, I have put out a formal request for more mutual late.
Speaker 1: Assistance, the National Guard was called in to help protect the police who were trying to disperse demonstrators. Chief McDonald's says he wouldn't have jumped in pulling the National Guard in so quickly.
Speaker 6: I'd say that we would go to that right away. I'd say we wouldn't have been there yet. Looking at the violence tonight, I think we got to make a reassessment, okay.
Speaker 1: Referring to the violence last night, McDonald says people causing chaos may not believe in the spirit of the actual demonstration.
Speaker 6: Even more disgusting that many of the people who were doing this come in from other places just to hurt people and to cause havoc.
Speaker 1: McDonald says his officers are facing more and more potentially deadly violence, including being shot at with commercial grade fireworks. And we're going to get the latest on the protest with ABC's Alex Stone in just a moment, But first let's take a first look at your morning commute. And we had that one on one freeway closed for much of yesterday, but will Cole Schreiber says it's open.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The good news is.
Speaker 8: At this hour the mainline lanes of the north and south one oh one through downtown Los Angeles are open.
Speaker 4: There are exceptions though.
Speaker 8: The transition roads it looks like from the one ten freeway are still closed. So if you're trying to get through the four level interchange and thinking you're going to go from the one ten to the south one o one, not quite yet. They're still working on that. And some of the the on and off ramps in downtown LA are closed. We know for sure that the Alameda off ramp from the northbound side of the one on one is blocked off as they were to clean up debris and just have that blocked.
Speaker 4: Off until further notice.
Speaker 8: And we've got some issues fifty five southbound dire road crash there on the off ramp, and the westbound side of the ten at Ediwanda in Ontario from Ediwanda to the fifteen two lanes closed for Caltrans were huge delays back from Citrus. So that's a big Caltrans project that they're still working on. With Southern California's most accurate traffic reports.
Speaker 4: I'm will Cole Schriver.
Speaker 1: It's five oh six on your wake up call, so will the protest yesterday I was watching it from the comfort of my home, as was I and just the police cars and the pelting of them with the rocks. I mean, it was just absolutely unbelievable to me.
Speaker 8: Those police cars were all on the you know, the lower level of the freeway and those on and off ramps are elevated above them, and anybody up there just had free rain basically to just throw stuff down there.
Speaker 4: And it was unfortunate.
Speaker 1: And I'm wondering where they got these big, huge chunks of rocks that they got. But it started when there was the protests that were on the surface streets spilled out onto the freeway. They blocked the one on one freeway for a while, which is a scary thing of itself, aside from you know, bottlenecking traffic and leaving people completely stuck. Yeah, it's also really difficult because it's dangerous to have people out on the roadway like that.
Speaker 8: You'll have some times people get fed up and they do things behind the wheel that they wouldn't normally do, like you know, aim for protesters. Later that evening last night, I saw a video of a minivan. It seemed like the minivan was doing circles and actually going after protesters.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, a lot going on.
Speaker 1: There a lot going on. But the good news is that they've cleared that roadway off and it doesn't appear that any officers were hurt as they were tossing these huge chunks of concrete over the overpass. Okay, let's say good good morning now to ABC's Alex Stone, who has been covering this all weekend. Alex, can you give us the latest on what's going on overnight and what's happening this morning if anything.
Speaker 9: Amy, Good morning. Yeah, all is fairly quiet right now.
Speaker 10: Wasn't even a couple of hours ago, though, I mean a very long night for mainly the LAPD that even two o'clock in the morning, that there were people that were out and throwing concrete and shooting off fireworks at the officers. But just how quickly this whole thing has escalated since Friday when we got the first word of the emigration enforcement that was.
Speaker 9: Going on, and then to the point that we're at now.
Speaker 10: But you heard Chief McDonald saying overnight that they know this is bad, that it has escalated, that they know that they've got to get a handle on this, saying this.
Speaker 6: It is violence that I've seen is disgusting. It's escalated now since the beginning of this incident. What we saw the first night was bad. What we've seen subsequent to that is getting increasingly worse and more violent and amy.
Speaker 10: Overnight, the crowd's using dumpsters and park benches as their shields downtown around City Hall to protect themselves against the pepper balls and the rubber and the foam rounds. The lapd has been shooting off and we know that they're around sixty who have been arrested. But I mean, really, for a lot of the officers, they can't deal with arresting.
Speaker 9: People because they don't have the resources.
Speaker 10: They don't have the time that that takes time to put them in handcuffs, haul them away, transport them, do the paperwork that it's just about moving these crowds out, getting them to eventually disperse, eventually go home. And they were able to do it yet again overnight that things are calm now, but it'll be a question of where things go today. There are a couple of protests, mainly earlier in the day that are planned today, so hopefully then those crowds disperse.
Speaker 9: And we're not going into the evening hours, but we'll see what happened tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think one of the things that I was thinking as I was watching all of this, Alex is you mentioned the dumpsters and the park benches, like they literally went into Grand Park ripped the pink benches that are all around the park that have been put there, you know, for people to enjoy. They took them and they stole them and put them in the roadways. They're all damaged. They're going to have to all be replaced. And then you look at the Waimo cars that were set on fire. Those who pays for that.
Speaker 10: And spirts cover right, Yeah, and they eventually shut that off, so no cars will come into downtown right now. But yeah, and then you have the whole element of the National Guard here now, where what is their role going to be Because they have been federalized by President Trump and they didn't come through the normal channels. They're not really communicating with the LAPD. Chief McDonald's saying that they had one conference call together, but they don't know what the role of the National Guard is going to be.
Speaker 9: That he's not.
Speaker 10: Against them being here, but there are steps that they would have taken to get to this point and to say we want this type of unit. This is a combat brigade that is here right now. This is not military police that normally we see come in during wildfires and doing the roadblocks. So you know that they would have gone to the mutual aid system and then where police trained together, that they're on the same radio channels.
Speaker 9: There are steps to get to this point.
Speaker 10: And because they are here for the first times in nineteen sixty five some Alabama was the last time a president deployed the National Guard in that case to protect protesters, that without the governor doing it, that this is unusual territory to be in. That they are not here working with the state. They are not in lockstep with the LAPD at this point.
Speaker 9: And then this.
Speaker 10: Threat of active duty Marines being called in, and I mean, I can tell you within senior levels of law enforcement, they do not.
Speaker 9: Like that idea. The rules of engagement would be different. They would not be on police radios.
Speaker 10: They are not trained in crowd control outside of a warfare environment like a police are. They don't train with the police in the state of California under police standards, that would be a whole different thing. So there is hope among law enforcement that that step is not taken because it's really not welcome at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know, Alex, did you get a chance to talk to any protesters that yeah, yeah, yeah, And what are they saying?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, I think that you've got two different crowds.
Speaker 10: You've got the troublemakers who are out at night, who whether it be George Floyd or a Lakers protest or not a protest, but you know, a celebration that gets out of control, don't want to call a riot or dodgers.
Speaker 9: You've always got that crowd.
Speaker 10: That comes in at night and we see them doing the looting and setting the fires, and they may not even really be into whatever they're out there for that they're just out there to battle the police and create mayhem and they find it fun.
Speaker 9: Usually younger men who are out there doing that.
Speaker 10: Of those who are out during the day, like the protests that are planned this morning, that are typically very into the topic, that are passionate, that have a reason why they're there.
Speaker 9: This woman among them.
Speaker 11: Here protesting for our families that are being separated in our neighborhoods and we want justice.
Speaker 10: Now, that's very different compared to nighttime where it's going to be you know, bleep the police and you know, we want this and we want that and breaking windows and dropping concrete onto the CHP cars on the one on one. So I mean, really two different crowds from the daytime crowd to the nighttime crowd a world of difference.
Speaker 1: And do the ones who are there for actually for the cause to protest the ice raids, do they realize that when there are things like blocking a freeway and the vandalism and that kind of stuff, that does not advance their cause.
Speaker 10: You know, I think some do. Others believe that they've got to do.
Speaker 9: It to make a point.
Speaker 10: And then you've got the others who are just doing it because are it's fun and it's fighting the police, and you know, they think in mass that they can do it and then they're not going to be arrested, they're not going to get into trouble.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of motivation in these crowds.
Speaker 10: Some are very authentic and they are there that they believe that they have a point to make. Others are there to hurt police or just to battle them, and that it's you know, just fun on a Sunday night because they've got nothing better to do. So, you know, with thousands of people out there, everybody's got a different reason for being out there. But yeah, I mean I think some of them realize that it's not helpful.
Speaker 1: All right. ABC's Alex Stone, thanks for all the information, for covering this for us all weekend, and we shall see what unfolds today.
Speaker 9: You got it, Thanks, Amy?
Speaker 1: All right, when we come back, the man speaking this is all tied into ice raids. The man caught up in that ice sweep in Maryland and mistakenly deported to a Central American prison has been returned to the US. Remember the Supreme Court said, hey, you need to fas facilitate his return because he shouldn't have been sent down to that prison. Well, he's back in the US. Who was done probably differently than anybody had thought it would happen, according to the US Supreme Court order. But ABC Stephen Portnoy's going to join us to tell us what is next for kilmar Abrego Garcia, who is now back in the US. It is five twenty on your Monday morning wake up call. Good morning to you. I'm Amy King. Wow, what a weekend here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA faces its fourth day of protests over federal immigration raids. Rally is planned at Grand Park in downtown LA at noon. Civil rights and labor leaders are demanding the release of union leader David Huerta. He was taken into federal detention on Friday during an immigration enforcement action. Huerta is doing court at the Royball Federal Building at one point thirty this afternoon. The LAPD almost thirty arrests yesterday and CHP arrested another nineteen during the protests. One was arrested for throwing allegedly a Molotov cocktail at officers, another for trying to ram police with a motorcycle. The CHP arrests mostly tied to the one oh one being blocked by protesters. CHP officers became trapped under the one oh one freeway overpass at Los Angeles Street as the crowd from above pelted their patrol car with rocks. At times, the officers tossed tear gas up under the roadway above to try to disperse the crowd. One officer came out from under the overpass and was promptly pelted by rocks. He was able to run back under to safety. At six oh five, it's Handle on the news. Guess what Handle's going to be talking about. Well, probably our dinner on Saturday night, which was fabulous by the way, at the Anaheim White House. But also we'll be talking about the protests and the National Guard and everything that has to do with what's going on in downtown LA. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. We're also talking about ice raids, but this one was on the other side of the country that started the whole ball rolling with k Abrego Garcia. He's now been returned to the US, but not to face his due process on whether he should be deported, rather to charge him with human trafficking.
Speaker 12: That's right, Amy. He was returned to the US late last week. The charges allege that Kilmar Brego Garcia took part in a years long conspiracy to transport thousands of migrants from Texas.
Speaker 4: To the interior of the country.
Speaker 12: The indictment alleges that drugs and guns were also smuggled as part of the conspiracy. That Abrego Garcia alone ran more than one hundred trips from Texas to Maryland and other states, and he appeared in federal court in Tennessee, where he's now being held. The attorneys for Abrego Garcia say that they're going to fight to ensure he receives a fair trial, something that said they say he had not received when he was sent to El Salvador in March, and the family remains in federal court in Maryland, saying that the fact that he's back in the US does not render the litigation that they initiated moot that.
Speaker 4: They say that the federal.
Speaker 12: Government thumbed its nose at the judge in Maryland for months and that there need left a stain on the constitution that needs to be addressed, perhaps with some sort of contempt finding by the judge.
Speaker 1: So his lawyers are his lawyers suing.
Speaker 12: His family has filed the suit in Maryland, and that's where things have been for months now, and that was where the judge said that the federal government had to bring had to facilitate his release in return from l Salvador, and that was ultimately a decision that was upheld by the Supreme Court. So he's back now, but for not the reasons that the judge had ordered he's back for different reasons, because of prosecutors went in and got a federal grand jury indictment. Now it happens that the former head of the Crew Fminal Division of that US Attorney's office in the middle of Tennessee resigned some weeks ago. He hasn't explained why fully, but our reporting is that he did it because he believed that this case was being pursued for political reasons. Ben Schrader is his name, fifteen year career prosecutor in the US Attorney's Office in Tennessee, and he said on LinkedIn a couple of weeks ago the only job description he's ever known is to do the right thing and the right way for the right reasons, which was all of his colleagues in the office and across the department the best as they seek to do justice. The fact that he resigned is interesting, and I wonder whether at a certain point we'll hear more from him, But so far he's said formally no comment.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it'd be interesting because when I think Pam Bondi came out on Friday, she was saying they'd been working on this for a while to put this together. So did he get wind of it and say I don't want to be part of it, or like what's behind?
Speaker 12: Well? Also defined for a while, I mean Pam Bondi's only been in office for a few months and this case has only been initiated for a couple of months. The indictment was returned last month. So what does for a while mean? And that'll be something that the defense attorneys may point to if they do what Donald Trump's defense lawyers did in his criminal prosecutions, which is to allege that this is a selective and vindictive prosecution, an example of you find me the man, I'll find you the crime.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then what happens next.
Speaker 12: Well, ultimately this case will proceed. And you remember that we're talking about two separate things here. We're talking about the case against a Brego Garcia and Tennessee and the case that his family's brought in Maryland having to do with his whereabouts and how his case has been handled. These are two separate matters now on parallel tracks.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Stephen Portnoy, thank you so much for the information. As always, you bet. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom, President Trump has promised to maintain law and order in LA with the deployment of National Guard troops about three hundred of our eyes. So far, he's ordered two thousand. Speaking on his way to Camp David yesterday afternoon, Trump told reporters he'll have troops everywhere if that's what it takes. When asked if he would declare an insurrection, Trump said we're not there yet. Mayor bass Is sending the National Guard to LA wasn't necessary, She tells KTLA. It's the Trump administration just posturing to.
Speaker 5: Have one hundred troops in Westwood where absolutely.
Speaker 10: Nothing had happened at all, and one hundred downtown is just overreach.
Speaker 1: Bass says the LAPD can handle the situation. President Trump's borders are, says, elected officials in California and in LA could be open to federal prosecution if they're found to be impeding law enforcements.
Speaker 4: It's a family to noringly Harbord, cacil on Igo.
Speaker 7: It's a felity to impede law enforcements for doing their job.
Speaker 1: He says, so far, LA's mayor hasn't crossed that line, but a post from the Department of Homeland Security on x says it is sickening that Mayor Bass continues to protect violent writers, rioters, and criminal illegal aliens at the expense of the safety of American citizens and communities. John Cobalt is going to be talking with Borders Are Tom Homan on his show this afternoon. Cobalt Show between one and four this afternoon. Tom Holman will be a guest. The Coast Guard says it has found a debris field of what may be from a small plane crash in the waters off the coast of San Diego. Six people were on board the plane that apparently went down three miles west of Point Loma yesterday afternoon. The US Coast Guard says it continues its search of the area. Legal challenges are expected over President Trump's travel ban on twelve countries. It goes into effect today. Former Department of Homeland Security official Elizabeth Newman says it's a repeat of the travel ban from twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: One of the first executive orders that was signed by the President this year was to basically do the work to reinstate the travel ban.
Speaker 1: The band took effect at midnight this week, we'll see political wrangling in the Senate to pass President Trump's megabill, you know, the Big Beautiful Bill. ABC's Jonathan carl says it was approved in the House by just one vote.
Speaker 13: It's very clear that there are going to be changes. It's unclear if first of all, there are the votes to pass it in the Senate, and with those changes, if Johnson can get it passed again in the House.
Speaker 1: He says, Johnson is asking the Senate not to make any major changes to the bill because that'll make it harder to pass again in the House. Authorities in Michigan say a potential tragedy has been averted as they foiled a mass shooting plot at a high school graduation. ABC's Morgan Norwood says two people have been taken into custody.
Speaker 14: The large plot unraveling Tuesday after police responded to a fight at the commencement ceremony for the Arts and Technology Academy of Pontiac. Their investigators say they were tipped off about a snapchat threat.
Speaker 1: She says authorities did a full sweep and found two loaded guns hidden under cars in the parking lot. Leelo in Stitches riding the wave of popularity, finishing first at the box office for its third straight week. Live version of the Disney animated hit movie took in over thirty two million dollars in theaters over the weekend. The John Wick spin off Ballerina apparently Keanu Reeves makes appearances in it, but he doesn't actually star in it, opened in second place with twenty five million dollars. Mission Impossible The Final Reckoning was third with fifteen million in ticket sales. It's the Disneyland Resort's seventieth celebration, and guess what if you're not there, It's not a celebration with all the sites and laughter and fun. Everyone's excited about it, including me of course. KFIAM six forty dot com, dot dot com just the KFI AM six forty plus the dot com whatever wants to give you a chance to win a family four pack of one day one park tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park. You can join in the limited time event. Keep listening to KFI. We've got tickets. It's your chance to celebrate with us, and we love to celebrate. Disneyland. Offering subject to restrictions and change without notice. Southland weather from KFI June gloom clears to sunny skies with highs in the low seventies at the beaches, around eighty for Metro La and Inlando. C eighties in the valleys, eighties and nineties in the Ie and Annealo Valley. A couple degrees warmer for tomorrow. Morning clouds, afternoon sun through the week with highs in the seventies to mid nineties. It's sixty one and Garden Grove sixty three in Newport Beach. And don't forget coming up at five point fifty, we're going to be talking with the executive director of the Friends of Big Bear Valley, Sandy Steers. She's got the latest on our Eglitz who have left the nest, although they both have come back. They're back in the nest this morning. Well, I'm no place like home. There's no play I know, right, they pick their little feet. Okay.
Speaker 3: Anyway, you're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: It is five thirty six on your Monday wake Up Call this June ninth. Thanks for starting your day with us. Hope you had a fabulous weekend. It was a weird weekend because of the protests. Like, we went and had the dinner with Bill Handle at the Anaheim White House with some of his big fans, and it was so much fun. But we're driving down there and hearing how people are, you know, tearing stuff up in Paramount and lighting stuff on fire. It's just this weird, don't you think, like this weird kind of reality where you want to live your life but then there's all this stuff going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So anyway, we got lots more on the protests coming up, and of course Handle's going to be talking about that coming up with Handle on the news six o five. But here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Ice protests continued through the night, with crowds marching and gathering nil near La Live and Crypto dot Com Arena. Several police cars were pelted by protesters. There's a report that a man was driving recklessly at high speed, which was putting pedestrians in danger and also caused a motorcyclist to go down. Several fires burned in the streets and other parts of downtown, but police and firefighters pretty much just let them burn. The Department of Homeland Securities released information on several of the people detained in the ice raids, saying that they have long rap sheets, including robbery, domestic violence, and second degree murder. Governor Newsom says the state of California is going to sue the Trump administration, this time over the deployment of two thousand National Guard troops. He's urged the President to rescind the order for the troops, calling it illegal and unconstitutional. Newsom says Trump cannot activate the state's National Guard without coordinating it with him. First, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Demonstrators have protested outside the Federal Building as part of their ongoing pushback against the ice raids that clashes with National Guard troops yesterday, who used tear gas to try to disperse the crowd. Kfi's Michael Monks was there and says the protesters were ready for it.
Speaker 5: A lot of people are wearing masks anyway, some in full fledged gas mask, others and more makeshift masks. But they're prepared with milk and water and other types of liquids that they've learned to use. Should sheer gas come out.
Speaker 1: The LAPD declared a tactical alert in its attempt to clear the hundreds of protesters. Several Democratic lawmakers are demanding to know why they were denied entry into the federal detention center in downtown where illegal immigrants caught up in the ice raids have been taken.
Speaker 15: We presented ourselves like were supposed to shorten my Congressional ID cards, saying I'm a member of Congress. Under this law, I have a right to inspect the facility.
Speaker 1: Democratic Representative Jimmy Gomez says he and his constituents we were trying to enter the facility after they heard people inside had been denied basic necessities.
Speaker 15: It has a capacity about one hundred people. It's only supposed to be a short term holding facility for twelve hours. People were there for over twenty four hours and that there were way above the one hundred person capacities.
Speaker 1: Gomez says they were told they wouldn't go in because of safety issues. A Chinese national living in Ontario is expected to plead guilty today to federal charges that he intended to illegally ship weapons to North Korea for use by the secretive Communist countries military in a surprise attack on South Korea. Prosecutors say that Shenwa Wen and his co conspirators exported at least two shipments of weapons and AMMO to North Korea two years ago. They say the items were concealed inside containers that were shipped from Long Beach through Hong Kong to North Korea when is in the country illegally after overstaying his student visa that expired in twenty twelve. Israeli forces have seized an AID boat that was headed for Gaza and detained the activists on board, including Greta Thunberg. The activists posted a series of videos online saying Israeli troops had boarded the vessel as it got close to Gaza. Please everyone. The Freedom Flotilla coalition, which organized the voyage, said the activists were kidnapped by Israeli forces the boat was trying to get past a long standing blockade of the Palestinian territory. Israel said the activists would return to their home countries and the AID would be sent to Gaza through established channels. A new warning is out about weight loss and diabetes medications. Regulators in the UK say the drugs may weaken the effectiveness of birth control. Doctor Alec Patel says the study also warns weight loss drugs may be harmful to pregnant women.
Speaker 5: Talk to your doctor about potentially another option and using barrier contraception as well.
Speaker 1: He says people taking the meds should also talk to their doctor about potential interactions with other drugs. Time to get in your business, as we do every day at five point forty with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho Mourning Courtney, good morning. Well, we've got the protests, but we still have you know, life goes on and there's lots going on. So let's take a look at the major shakeup in the media business.
Speaker 16: Yes, Warner Brothers Discovery splitting into two publicly traded companies. This has kind of been on the radar for some time. In this report is sponsored by Total Wine En war So here's what's going to happen. The streaming and studios company will consist of Warner Brothers TV and Film HBO, HBO Max, as well as its film and television libraries. On the other hand, we have global Networks that's going to include its entertainment, sports, and news brands such as CNNTNT Sports and bleacher Report. The separation is expected to be completed by the middle of next year. But see, here's the issue. Traditional media companies have been struggling the face of all the expensive streaming wars that we've been seeing, especially with Netflix. So Comcast recently did something similar. They separated their cable networks a CNBCMSNBC from the main NBC network and it's Peacock streaming service and its universal theme parks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so why do that so they can spin them off.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so they could be managed a little bit, a little bit better, because sometimes when they're so large in this case, and there has been so much consolidation within the industry, different parts struggle. And this is why they'll be able to have the focus then on the streaming business, on HBO Max, things that have been doing stronger. Where the traditional news brands, the traditional cable brands such as the Discovery Network for example, CNN, they've been struggling in the light of what we've been seeing changing from streaming to changing with the change from streaming from cable to streaming.
Speaker 11: Excuse me, all right, Walmart says, yeah, we got tariffs, we got higher prices, but that's not keeping people away, Oh not at all, they said.
Speaker 16: Shoppers are still spending about the same that they did a year ago. However, this time the focus is more on food and essentials over discretionary purchases. Obviously, people are holding onto the purse strings a little bit more. The company also says that it's going to continue to communicate the impact of tariffs to investors, consumers, and lawmakers. That's an interesting point because last month, remember Walmart Warren that it was going to pass on all the tariff price hikes on some of their goods, and that frustrated President Trump. He said the retailer should eat the tariffs. So the company signaled its its intention to keep prices low overall, but noting that it won't.
Speaker 1: Do so at the expense of profit growth. Okay, speaking of eating, we might have a sign of economic hard times ahead. Sales are down at Dominoes and Pizza Hut.
Speaker 16: Yeah, pizza losing some of its byte, same store sales and losing some of its bite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying to see what I did there.
Speaker 16: Same store sales down at all of the three major pizza chains Pizza Hut, Pop, John's, Dominoes. There are a number of factors that are denting sales at the restaurants. We could talk about uberyates, we could talk about grub hub, but the biggest one seems to be low income families are getting priced out pizza.
Speaker 1: It's getting so expensive.
Speaker 16: The average price of a large pizza at these chains now a little more than eighteen dollars. The overall check has jumped nearly thirty percent since twenty nineteen, and according to market research firm Technomic, that's slightly higher than the increases at burger and chicken chains. So people are saying, you know what, if pizza's going to be this expensive, maybe I'll go get myself a chicken sandwich.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but your chicken sandwich is eight or nine dollars on itself, and you don't get a whole pizza exactly.
Speaker 16: But people are saying, you know, it's it's we're going to eat at home too. Another big trend that they've been noticing is that a lot more people are making their own pizza in their house. So they're getting dough, they're getting the ingredients and making everything at home.
Speaker 1: And sometimes that's a lot of fun and quite delicious.
Speaker 16: Okay, what do we look atbably better in the markets today, well, we're looking at slight gains. Investors are focused on the trade talks between the US and China. The event of the week is coming up on Wednesday. That's the inflation report for May. We'll talk about that. Consumers probably saw slightly faster pace of price hikes from the tariffs. So that's something that we're going to be watching because inflation has hurt so many people, frustrating so many people across the country and down futures. Right now they're fifty points and on Friday stocks closed at the highest level since February. The S and P five hundred hit the six thousand mark once again, rising one percent.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, that's getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, as we do every morning. Thanks Courtney. We'll talk to you tomorrow, see you later. All right. When we come back, Well, we've got Sandy Steers with friends of Big Bear Valley. She's got the latest on our eagles that have flown the coop, left the nest, but then they came in back. Yeah, so we'll find out what's next for our favorite eagles, which we already have thousands and thousands of people watching at five point forty five in the morning. I know I'm addicted, you are too, right, Okay, Kat, it's five fifty three on your Monday morning wake up call. Good morning. I'm me king. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Borders are Tom Holman says elected officials could face federal prosecution if they're found to be impeding law enforcement. Holman says he doesn't think Mayor Bass has crossed that line yet, but says it is sickening that the mayor continues to protect rioters and criminal illegal immigrants at the expense of the safety of American citizens and communities. Borders our Tom Holman is going to be on with John Cobalt today at one o'clock. The wave of protests began Friday, when dozens of people were arrested. The protests against ice immigration raids continued Saturday in Paramount Compton and in Downtown LA and in Downtown LA Yesterday, several way mos were set on fire. Protesters blocked the one on one freeway, which caused one direction of the freeway to be shut down for hours and hours. Protesters stole Pink Park benches from Grand Park to build a barrier on the street near City Hall. Yesterday afternoon, LAPD declared an unlawful assembly shortly after three in the afternoon, hundreds refused to disperse. Right now, let's say good morning to the executive director of Friends of Big Bear Valley, Sandy Steers. Sandy, Gizmo did it? Ope? Do we have Sandy? We had Sandy on the phone. She's on the phone. There we go, there's Sandy. Hi, Good morning, Sandy, Good morning. Okay, So I started to say, Gizmo did it. We're so proud our our youngest eagle left the nest.
Speaker 7: Yes, she did, although she came back. She came back last night. Both of them came back last night. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I see that they're both in there right now. So tell us what happened. How did she fledge? Because we know that he left the nest on Monday and we were waiting and waiting to see if Gizmo would do it, and she did it. How did it all come together?
Speaker 7: I'm actually not sure that she intended to do it. Right at the moment that she did, she was flapping all around the nest and running from one branch to another. And practicing, and she kept looking up at different branches seeing if she could hop over to that one rather than go around through the nest. And when she did that, I think she tried to get up to another branch but didn't quite make it, and so the only option was to fly. But she did it beautifully, she did.
Speaker 1: And so she and she did sort of like what Sonny did. She just went over to another tree. And then did she just hang out there for the weekend.
Speaker 7: No, she stayed there for that day, but before evening she flew off to another Before nightfall, she flew off to another tree and spent the night over there.
Speaker 1: I just love that because I was worried, Like you said, we weren't sure that she actually planned to do that, and so I was like, I hope she's strong enough. But then when we saw them last night, both of them were back in the nest, You're like, Yep, she's got this.
Speaker 7: She does, and she made a beautiful landing in the nest last night, so she's got it all figured out. She's together.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they're both there this morning, and of course we don't know for sure, but is there a good chance that Jackie and Shadow will come feed them before they take off this morning.
Speaker 7: Probably yes, But I don't know what time they're going to take off or how early Jackie and Shadow will come. But I'm sure they would both like some food. They both had food, and Sonny was back at the nest soon enough yesterday that she got a whole fish from mom.
Speaker 1: I love that, Okay, and Sandy, how long? How long does this continue? I know we've talked about this before, but they can fly now, but they're not ready to quote leave the nest.
Speaker 7: No, they're not ready yet. They haven't learned how to really maneuver in the wild, as in how to find food or fish or anything like that. So that Jackie and Shadow will be following them around and bringing them food and keeping guard over them and teaching them all these skills of being out in the world.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. And you've been following this and along with thousands of people. I just checked the numbers on it, and like this morning, it's already up to like thirty five thousand people are watching it before six o'clock in the morning. I mean, like, how rewarding is this for you? After we had a couple of years were Jackie in Shadow, We unfortunately didn't get any eglits and now we have two and it looks like they're both they're both rare and to go and fly like an eagle.
Speaker 7: Yes, no, I'm thrilled that they made it this far. It's a huge success story to have. It's the first time Jackie In and Shadow have had to make it to fledging and they're both doing great.
Speaker 1: Okay, And for Friends of Big Bear Valley, you know, why is this an important thing? I mean, we get to sneak and sort of be voyeurs and watch them do this, but why is this important for people? And for you?
Speaker 7: First, it gives us information about the eagles and how they live their life and what things are essential to their thriving. And also just having so many people connected and seeing what it's like for them to have to be out there in the world. It's making people realize that they need to appreciate and support nature rather than fight with it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, Sandy Steers, Friends of Big Bear Valley, thank you so much for giving us your insight into the first flights of our favorite little eagles, Gizmo and Sonny. We're going to continue to watch them and again, if you want. This is all nonprofit for Friends of Big Bear Valley. If you want to make a donation, where do they go.
Speaker 7: To Friends at big Bear Valley dot org.
Speaker 1: And you can get cool little plush animals, and you can get eagle calendars and you know, so you get something cool for your donation too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yes, thank you, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Sandy, thank you so much.
Speaker 7: All right, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: You too. You know, I just with all the unrest and the ick stuff going on in the world, that's why I want to focus on things like this. It's just like amazing stories. There's still amazing things happening in the world every single day.
Speaker 4: And the eagles are up there.
Speaker 8: They don't have any idea about any of this stuff, you know, they're the lives.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness. All right, We're going to continue to watch everything that's been going on with the protests and see if they ramp up again today. We know that we've got a noontime rally scheduled at Grand Park. We'll see if the if there's any flare ups today after everything that happened yesterday. And of course we've got handle on the news and Bill's gonna have a lot to say about that that's coming up in just moments. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland Weather from KFI. Morning clouds clearing too, sunny skies. I S will be in the low seventies at the beaches, around eighty for Metro La and Inlando, c eighties in the valleys in Anelotte Valley, mid eighties to mid nineties for the IE and actually the Antelote Valley is going to be mid eighties to mid nineties warming up tomorrow after the June gloom burns off. Highs will be in the mid seventies at the coast, low to mid eighties for the metro areas, eighties and nineties in the valley's I e and Anelote Valley, and then we're going to see that same pattern morning clouds, afternoon sun through the week. It's sixty one in Brea, sixty in Lake Forest, sixty one in Marina del Rey, and fifty nine in Burbank. Live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom, I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty