Speaker 1: Hello everyone.
Speaker 2: My name is Frieda Baizel and I'm in New York City, Brooklyn based Jewish YouTuber with an interest in Jewish life, religion, subcultures, and human stories. Today, I'm speaking with Rabbi David Baschefkin, one of the most prominent Jewish podcasters and intellectual voices in the modern Orthodox community, and the host of the eighteen forty podcast. Rabbi Baschefkin or David is known for asking hard questions about faith, doubt, Israel, and communal life, but he asks them from within Orthodoxy, as someone deeply embedded in the world he's examining. I often ask similar questions from the outside. His audience tends to be inside the community. I think mine often stands at the margin or outside. There's a lot of overlap and also meaningful difference. I'm interested in learning about him, and I'm especially interested in what he's seeing and experiencing right now, the challenges, the tensions, the insights of the moment from the very particular bird's eye view he occupies within the Jewish world, and so I'm really looking forward to this conversation. Before we begin, I want to thank those of you who are channel members and help make this work possible. I published videos early for channel members, but all my videos later get published to everyone. I appreciate all of you members, subscribers, viewers, and commenters for helping make this work possible. Thank you, and thank you David so much for being here.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. For you to this is such a treat.
Speaker 2: You know, when I prepared for this interview, I thought, it's I think you're the only Orthodox podcast that had me.
Speaker 3: On, which is bizarre to me. I mean, I've been following your work for some time. I think liminal personalities, you know, people who have lived with multiple identities, embedded in multiple communities have an insight into each community that they have a pinky toe in or a you know, a little bit of a part of themselves in. And I just find that the very fact. And we spoke about this when I entered viewed you like the work that you do. I think you're the one who you use the term cultural translation is so important now and we have this gift called the Internet which allows us to communicate and shed windows and collapse geographic distances, so to be sharing stories with the Jewish world, with the global world, not just the Jewish world, with the non Jewish world and giving them an insight of what authentic Jewish life is about. I think it's extraordinarily holy work. I was so excited when you came onto mind. I mean, you're you're really really a role model in this world of helping present an authentic view of internal religious life, like insider religious life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really appreciate it. Thank you, Devid.
Speaker 2: And also I feel like it reflects your particular unique role as a Jewish voice that you were willing to platform me. You do, I'm sure understand why other places it'd be uncomfortable platforming me. So I wonder if you can just describe to me and to the people who watch my videos what your work is about and where it comes from.
Speaker 1: Is that a very difficult ask?
Speaker 3: No, it's it's great. It's a question that I constantly am asking myself because the only way to keep stamina of producing content online, even the word content makes me a little bit exhausted and tired. The only way to do this is to be mission oriented, is to really have a purpose beyond clicks. You're really trying to share something unique. And we started eighteen forty which is a very strange name for a podcast. It would have been much easier to just do I don't know, d Bash or David Bechefkin or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Why eighteen forty?
Speaker 3: Yeah, why eighteen forty? And that's really what our mission was. Eighteen forty has significance in both the particular Jewish world as well as the broader world. We'll start in the broader world. Eighteen forty is really a turning point culturally where we see industrialization, globalization, celebrity culture, the individuation of the modern world is really starting to emerge beginning in eighteen forty. And in the Jewish world this took on a life of its own because in the Zohar, which is one of the most famous central canonized mystical texts that Jews study, the eighteen forty corresponds to the sixth millennia, the sixth century of the sixth millennia, That is eighteen forty on the Jewish calendar, right in the Jewish year. We're not in the year twenty twenty six. We have our own count, our own calendar, and on the Jewish calendar, eighteen forty is the sixth century of the sixth millennia, which the Zohar says there's going to be a bottom up rising of a th first for knowledge, a thirst for a personalized religious engagement where it's not so institutional, it's much more personal, it's much more accessible. And the world that I was seeing around me when I started in twenty twenty, it felt in many ways like we were repeating this eighteen forty moment that there, you know, COVID was happening then, so I remembered this feeling of like me and the Tonight Show have basically been reduced to the same quality of technology and broadcasting, like we all have our own talk shows. Now we all have this ability to formulate and articulate what is our approach to life, how do we see others, how do we bring others in conversation, share our values? And what eighteen forty to me was trying to do was discuss issues in an honest and authentic way related to Jewish life. That was really the main thing. And as we started developing more and more, I think my articulation of what we were trying to accomplish became more and more precise, where the way I describe it now is what we're really trying to be is like a base medrish, a study hole that is the Hebrew term, the Yiddish term for a house of study where people normally sit in front of texts, in front of Talmud's and to be a study hole not for text, but for Jewish life itself, to be a base Measriish for the Jewish people, for where Jews can learn about one another's struggles in a very real way, in an authentic way. What are you grappling with? Because I believe, and I believe this to my core, that the same way that you develop an understanding of Judaism through classical texts, through the Bible, through codes, through all of these things, there is an equal amount to learn about Jewish life and divinity by just talking to other Jews. And that's really what it's become. To really try to understand and develop a vision that can, even in potential, reach the entirety of the Jewish people, a vision of Yiddish kaid, a vision of Jewish life that can reach beyond those who have had the gift of a Jewish education and articulate a vision of what Jewish life can and should be for the broader world.
Speaker 1: Is eighteen forty your biggest project right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it occupies a great deal of my time, the struggles of it. Yeah. I also teach a Yahiv University. I'm a Rebbie. I'm an educator. At my core, I'm an educator. I started, you know, writing. I used to write a humor column for mishbacha magazine, which is one of the kind of the insider Jewish weekly is probably the most popular, high quality magazine that comes out every week. And I've written a few books. I was interested in academia a little bit, but really the bulk of my time is split between teaching and Shiva University and really building the groundwork of eighteen forty, which has multiple spokes. We have a podcast. We do something called I Read This over Shabists, where we encourage Shabist reading people post. We have a lot about book culture to try to to try to remind people where to find ideas that are richly presented, not just thirty second reels, which I've become as excess that's done. I like advertising the beauty of shabist to our listeners. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you first came on my radar through the I read this over Shabbas Twitter situation, which is really fun where people share what.
Speaker 1: They had spend shabis reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to say I find shabis really really difficult. I'm not showing for shabist myself, which I feel uncomfortable saying, and I hope it's not offensive, but that's the truth. And I've often asked myself, how can I trick myself into keeping shabas, because I really would like to, Like it's something that would be nice to do, and especially it would help me participate with things that I that I want to Like. My mother was sick and it was like I wasn't able to take on any help on Shabist because I felt like I can't. I just can't do all of these shabbiest things. But anyway, I keep telling myself, if I do Shabbis, I'll read books, and that's like a sell.
Speaker 3: I think that's one of our distinctions is that you you shine a window. You kind of lived and set up camp from outside of your community, your childhood community. I still live very much within the community. We're both creating windows, but the question is I feel like I'm inside the community creating a window. Both for insiders and outsiders to see one another, and you're on the outside helping outsiders kind of look into insiders, and in very much you're also helping insiders see the outside world, how they are seen and how they're understood. My thing with shab is the struggle with shop. I struggle with shabi is also particularly in my twenties. It's a team sport. It's the only commandment in the Torah that is prefaced with the verb in Hebrew vayakel, which means to gather. It's the same term meaning kihila, which is community. It is really hard. It's a litmus test of one's communal alignment. Shabis can be very difficult and challenging if you don't have a community to practice it with, if you don't feel embedded within community. I think so in my twenties, when I was single and lost, I struggled a great deal with shabas. Shabis was not the joy that has become for me now, and I haven't forget that. I haven't forgotten that period, which is why I as much as I love talking about schabis, it comes from an appreciation both of its beauty but also of its struggles. Like I grew up with shabis. I grew up with a stressed out father who would you know, zoom in right before Shaba's beginning, and you couldn't talk to him, and it was really like fright thing as a kid. Those moments of words are so hectic, so chaotic. I understand why for many people it becomes a struggle. And you know that's something. This is where I feel the there's work internally as a community that we need to do to help people who are either on the margins, right in between, or even all the way outside to kind of even see a spot or a future for themselves within the Jewish community.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I appreciate what you're saying because I interview Danielle Jacobs, who calls herself from Or. She's Shomashabas and she's divorced. Wonderful, wonderful person. I don't know if you know you Heel Jacobs, the comedian.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he's very.
Speaker 3: Sebastian man of Scalco imitation. That's spot on. It's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Really, I only know his imitation of oh God, the lemur, you know, the lead. He's very funny.
Speaker 3: You fail, Let's bring enjoy to the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So his mom is also very talented singer, dance, or actress, everything. And I interviewed her in her story Story Moving, and she talked about how difficult it is she finds to keep shabas as someone who keeps shabast but is not married. And I got a lot of responses from Orthodox people are like, how can I reach her? I want to invite her for Shabbist, which I don't think is the point. I don't think people she's looking for invites. She's looking for a structural.
Speaker 3: Coalation exactly exactly. And I think in many ways, you know, shabis is a prototypical from the eighteen forty lens is we're able to discuss both its beauty. It's I think it's urgency. In this moment in time, with the over encroachment of technology, people feel the urgency of shabists more than ever. But they also feel as it becomes more urgent, in many ways, it becomes more difficult. They go hand in hand. It's very interesting. You know, shabas in the nineteen eighties and the nineteen seventies was felt very very different. There was much less you had to turn off. There's much less you have to disconnect from, so the transition was probably more doable. Now it's so much more obvious to me the sense of shabas and how difficult it is to create a Shabis environment, but also how urgent I think it is for society to figure out we need to develop a relationship for shabas, certainly starting within the Jewish community, just to figure it out. How do we create a doorway? You know, some of the language that we use on eighteen forty is when you go into any room, you always see neon exit signs, you know, exit, exit, exit, And sometimes when you grow up within the community, that's all you see religiously, you see a lot of exit signs. For me, my first memory is on the online in the supermarket, that's always where they keep the non kosher gum, which most people know as gum, regular gum, you know, like the double bubble. I forgot what what they're called, like the Wrigley's juicy fruit. And I remember as a young kid, my mother would tell me none of this is kosher, you can't buy any of it. And I remember as a kid, I would lift it up to my nose. You could smell it through the packaging I go if only, if only, and it could be a ne On exit sign for people, Ah, you don't have to live with this. And to me, this moment is really about articulating a vision of Judaism that is self justifying, where the experience itself is the motivation. Why why do I keep Shabists so I can have Shabbists? That's why I keep it, meaning my connection to my personal Judaism. The motivation is not theological or even philosophical as much as is I need the experience of yiddishkite in my life. I need I need Judaism in my life. The only way to have it is to kind of build it, and you have to. There are rules and there's ways that you do it. But I think what people need now and this is a problem that began with the Enlightenment. When it used to Judaism, all religion was coerced. It was something that you had to do, and there was real you know, your taxation, your professional life, everything hinged on how you were registered. And as we go deeper deeper into modernity, we have to learn other language and other methodology for how to motivate people's religious affiliation and in my mind, I think the ultimate motivation is the experience itself, and I think that's where we're actually headed as a community, where the reason why people want to do it is because it is so. It's to have the experience, it's to have the life itself is the reward, so to speak.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you're not giving a theological reason for or justification you want to be outside, almost like it's not you're not saying you're doing it for God. You're not saying you're doing it because you have to.
Speaker 3: I am. But you know, once we start using language of God, I feel like it gets so hyper individualistic of what that means. You know, a lot of people when they invoke God, they're really thinking about their tenth grade teacher yelling at them and telling them what God wants from you. I think God is something that is so deeply personal. I actually don't even feel comfortable like articulating and talking about that. It's deeply godly, it's divine. I mean, what I'm after is I want to sanctify my existence. I want to sanctify life itself. That's what I'm looking for. A life is so ephemeral, it is so confusing. It is so hard to find your way and build a meaningful life. To me, my Yiddish kite is the vehicle with which I sanctify my existence, my time on this earth, my own consciousness.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, you know, you mentioned the gum story, which I find really interesting because I have spoken extensively about my obsession with gum that was kosher. We weren't allowed to eat any gum. In Kiri's Joel, where I grew up. They sold the gum under the counter like you might sell cigarettes contraband, and if you came from a more from family, the ladies at the grocery store knew that you weren't allowed to contraband, so you couldn't just buy it. You couldn't like say, oh, I'm going to get a bubble gum.
Speaker 1: You just couldn't get it.
Speaker 2: So of course I resonate with holding it up because I have this very almost traumatic memory of going to a wedding in Williamsburg, slipping out of the wedding, buying a box of gum which I was going to sell in school, and falling asleep in the car home and forgetting it. And I was so scared of that incident that gum now looms very large in my my personal life life.
Speaker 3: That's really really interesting. I absolutely love that. I love that your plan was to sell it like on the black market. That is deeply Jewish. I mean, every school has their black market contraband, whether it was basketball cards or whatever it was that they're that they're chasing. I mean, we had a whole economy. Every school has its own economy of underground contraband, so that you know better guman than other things that are sold illegally in school. So that's very good, that's true.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They they say you put one gate in another in order to protect you from worse things, and to some degree it does.
Speaker 1: It does work.
Speaker 3: It starts with gum, It starts with gut. Oh that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're comfortable answering this question, but it's something that I want to bring up, and we cannot deal with it however you feel comfortable. But you know, I have a lot of what you say resonates with me about seeking, making meaning and exploring that, which is like.
Speaker 1: Why do we do things? What makes you feel?
Speaker 2: You ended up finding a place and meaning in Yiddish kite, in Orthodox Judaism whereas I couldn't.
Speaker 3: It's a really really great question. And when I think about a lot first and foremost, I mean, we were both raised in an Orthodox community, and both of us had periods in our life where we questioned whether or not we had a future in this community. I had my questioning for really most of my twenties. I was thinking about leaving. That's not a secret I've spoken about that. I was carrying a lot of pain I was. In the dating world. I'm sure it still remains can be very isolating. There was something about the process of dating that felt like the eyes of the community were constantly evaluating you. You were constantly being judged and rejudged, and I so desperately just wanted to be loved without complication. I so desperately. I think it's the most internal human need of just learning how to find that unchosen familial love. And I think it's specifically love that is unchosen, love that cannot be lost, which is a unique familial love. And I think when people grow up in religious communities, it's very hard because the unchosen love of parents and what you want from siblings and communities is always kind of filtered through language of earning the love, of being a mensch, of following halaha, of doing the right thing, and that makes you worthy of love, which is not This is not the real Jewish approach. The Jewish approach, Jewish identity is not contingent on any specific behavior. We believe in commandedness. But if somebody you know as well as anyone that there's nobody in Karias Joel who would question whether or not you are Jewish just because you are not currently schomer Shabis. They know that your Jewish identity retains and remains even if you are not performing. I think for a lot of people and my guests, and I'm speculating now, you ask the question, so I feel comfortable and correct me. It's so sensitive to speculate about other people's religious journeys, but I suspect that for a lot of people, the contingent love of religious community, of religious expectations, if it is too prominent and you've had certain experiences, it can drown out your ability to access the unchosen familial love, which is actually what Jewish identity is based upon. And I think some people go through so much a traumatic break in with familial issues of feeling deeply misaligned communally, that they can no longer kind of access their inner and irrevocable goodness and being deserving of love, and and being a recipient of love where they sit, they say, and sometimes rightfully. So the only way I can find this is by leaving. And we have a concept called a chosen family. I think that's a contradiction in terms meaning family inherently is unchosen. It's unchosen love. A mother and a father begin loving their child before the before they make the honorall before the first report card. It's a certain familial connection that grounds you in this world. Our our deepest expl ruriences and sense of identity is forged through the through the crucible of how we relate to our unchosen identity. So I think for many, especially if you grow up in a community with very you know, very high religious expectations, which exists throughout the Orthodox world, but it's I think even higher and even more tightly governed in a Hasidic community. It works for many if they're able to kind of find their grounding and their stability within the home and within the community. And then you know, and they bend, you know, they bend the rules where necessary, or maybe you know, even when they mess up, they know that they're they always have a place here. But when religious expectations kind of obscure one's ability to have a sense of groundedness in their own life, where they always feel like if I don't do this correctly, people are not going to love me. I'm not going to be worthy of love. I'm not going to be deserving of love. I find that that is the catalyst that a lot of people end up leaving permanently. I look at myself as somebody who I don't know that I would I would call it like almost a double life. Like I really was not in my twenties. I wasn't doing a lot. It was very hard for me to go to synagogue. It was very hard for me to pray. What it really took was being able to build a family of my own and kind of bring that back into my childhood family that I almost reacquainted myself with my unchosen identity as a Jew, began to feel more comfortable in my own skin. Realizing and the you know, having a podcast does not help with this at all. It's the worst profession to go into. If this is something you've grappled with. But realizing that I am inherently worthy and deserving of love is not No, I'm being honest.
Speaker 2: I of course you're deserving a lot. I'm laughing about the podcast right, not about Oh.
Speaker 3: The podcasting makes it impossible because we're constantly evaluating our popularity, our relevance, what we go out to. It's not the point of my work is to be the most popular. It certainly helps. But you know, modern day society, and I think it's something very deeply American, which is that we have to earn our place in existence. You know, if you don't, what do we call somebody? We literally call people a failure. I mean that's a very American United States. You know, there's this book that I love and I've quoted many times called Born Losers, A History of Failure in America. It has nothing to do with Judaism in particular, but I think it's something that we grapple with in our community of feeling like a failure that in order for me to earn and feel like I have a grounded place in existence, I need to do certain things that if I own to them, I am now undeserving. And I think the undeservingness that people feel, the unworthiness that people feel, which is a product of having any expectations.
Speaker 2: Meaning.
Speaker 3: This isn't totally unique to the Jewish world. I think it is. It's exacerbated. We have an ambitious community, we have a vulnerable community. But when our expectations crowd out or obscure our ability to feel a sense of homeness in our own existence and life, that is where kind of religious commitment begins to collapse. And I suspect that I've seen this very frequently. If you pull away all of the threads, it kind of comes back to someone's relationship with their unchosen identity very often, because, as I've mentioned many times, the ultimate unchosen identity is not being a Jew, it's being alive. It's our existence itself, meaning nobody chooses to be born. We wake up in our own own existence, in our own skin. Who put me here?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: How'd I get here? And then we spend the rest of our lives trying to figure out how do we build meaning with this phenomenon called existence, cold consciousness and interesting? Yeah, yeah, go ahead, No, I think the way I understand, at least my Judaism, it's the response to that. It is the response to how to sanctify unchosen identity, how to sanctify existence itself.
Speaker 2: Very interesting essentially, I'm hearing you say it's a lot about community, or it boils down to community.
Speaker 1: Can you fit into the community or not? Am I right? I think misphrasing.
Speaker 3: No, I think the I think finding community is central to finding self. I don't think you can find and discover yourself by yourself. It doesn't. It doesn't work that way, meaning who's looking, who's going to be found? I think people try to do that. I think that is a very minding thing. Yeah, very trendy, very American, to become so self absorbed, to basically find the answer through my own self, through my own individuality, my own uniqueness, my own amazingness. I think very often people who try to do that get trapped in the rat race of just trying to distinguish themselves. They're trying to they'll build very tall towers, they'll try to become famous, They'll try to break through all of the noise, because if I see myself in the newspaper, if I see myself, you know, on television or in a movie, the attraction of fame is I think the ultimate sound like it's the ultimate band aid to the problem of existence. I genuinely feel I don't know if you ever met a celebrity.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: So I had one. I wrote about this. I went to the ninety second Street Y when Stephen Colbert and Alex Adelman were in conversation. I know Alex personally, he's now become maybe a celebrity in his own right. But Colbert, for me, was like, wow, now this took place on a Jewish fast day. This is a very Jewish story. It took place on a Jewish fast day, if you want to It was a shivas er Batamas. So it was the summertime. It's a fast day. And I was embarrassed because I wouldn't normally go, you know, to a ninety second street Y conversation on a Jewish fast day. Alex had actually reached out personally. I said, I'm gonna go, but right after this is over, I'm gonna need to break my fast. So I made a I texted Alex as a joke. I said, just make sure you have you know, some sponge cake and orange juice, which is like the classical breakfast. You know that they'll put outside of synagogue when you're finished. And I remember they began the show and Stephen Colbert turned to the entire crowd or a few hundred people, there is David Kin here, and I heard a This is the weirdest thing. I think about this constantly. Hearing my name spoken by a celebrity made me feel moralize, I exist more. Why I'm just telling you, I felt it. I felt it in my bones. Having Yeah, you have a celebrity thread. I think that's what people are grappling with. They're like, they're trying to figure out. They're trying to build a foundation where they feel comfortable in their own existence.
Speaker 1: But what happened, I'm sorry, but now I'm distracted.
Speaker 3: What happened at the end, they they had to run out the ninety second street, why, thank god, is not that far and I'm a great faster. So I just had a little water bottle in my pocket and that was more than enough. I dove in the myrav in a shool nearby, and then I broke the fast after it was done.
Speaker 1: So stretch you stretched your fast?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I stretched it a little bit for.
Speaker 1: The celebrity or it was for your friend, it was.
Speaker 3: For my friend. I was really this is Alex was just getting started, and I was very excited. I knew, you know, Stephen was somebody who I followed for I've always followed comedy. I'm very comedy is also in that liminal cultural translation space where you are explaining an insider world insider frustrations to outsiders, which I think is very, very holy and beautiful. So yeah, I managed through that fascinating experience.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say Colbert had a tray.
Speaker 3: Of what I was hoping for. Yeah, I asked him after I actually sat across from his wife, Evie, because I was right in the front over there. But no, they did not come with actual sponge cake and orange juice, and I registered my frustration to both Stephen and Alex Aidelman.
Speaker 2: You're owed sponge cake and orange juice. That's a great story, you know. I find it interesting when you talk about community and the existence of self. I happen to not be so interested in issues of God. People seem to be able to talk about God forever and seem to like talking about God. I am much more interested in bio instead of mukam if you will like between men and men than between man and God. My interest is always in how we interact as people. It's a it's a great fascination of mine. And when it comes to how we we fit into communities and find our places. I think what's interesting about you is your own place in Jewish community, which at the head of the at the interview I mentioned you brought me on on your podcast, your your Orthodox your respective in the Orthodox community?
Speaker 1: Is it fair to.
Speaker 2: Say sometimes sometimes I mean going to going to ninety second Street, why on a vest Maybe.
Speaker 3: I wasn't the only rabbi in the crowd. I'll tell you that I'm not gonna I'm not gonna throw anybody else under the bus, But there were others there.
Speaker 1: No judgment from me.
Speaker 2: You're still in the in whatever community. I want to hear from you. What tensions you exist with in your particular place.
Speaker 1: Are you pushing? Are you feeling very at home there? And what are you seeing in that space.
Speaker 3: I think during my twenties when I really pulled away from the Jewish community and I couldn't agree with you more. I think God is so abstract. It's why like it's so deeply personal. I really measure one's Jewish experience and what Yiddishkite and Judaism is by how it's practiced, by how people treat each other. What's what's the experience of somebody walking in to a Jewish community. You know, I've said many times, if you want to know how religious somebody is, you don't ask their rabbi. You certainly don't, you know, as God to send you down a ranking. You ask their family members. I mean, it's the ultimate indication of one's religiosity. Are the people's closest to them. You know, It's not the length of one's beard or how you know, how important or how rabbinic that they look. The ultimate litmus test of one's religious life and religious commitments is how they treat others. And that's where godliness, I think, really really emerges. I think there's a tremendous amount of tension. I'm not sure precisely are you asking for the tension of the community that I live or kind of like what I'm seeing.
Speaker 2: As a podcast as an Orthodox Jewish podcaster, what pressures are you getting and how are you handling it?
Speaker 3: That's a very different question, and i'd like to I would like to address that because I think it's a really really important one. I think both of us it's very hard when you are trying to serve as a primary part of your demographic other Jews, because we're a very d We're very opinionated and critical people, and I think we are at a very strange inflection point that I'm not even sure people appreciate where we are in American Jewish history. I appreciate it because all of my grandparents are American born. My grand my oldest grandparent, was born in nineteen fifteen. My Ziti served in World War Two. He was based in Caserta, Italy, doing intelligence. And I've really seen, just from our extended family, a snapshot of the entirety of the American Jewish experience. I mean, my namesake, David Bishefkin, had nine children, so we have a lot of cousins and they're just to see what happens not over a thousand years, but what happens over one generation, two generations, what has happened in my lifetime. And I think in many ways Jews repeat a very similar pattern. It's a pattern that Remeer Simcha of de Vinsk has a very haunting a very haunting message about what he sees as the cycles of Jewish life. And essentially what he says is Jews come to a new land. When they come to a new land, they immediately try to assimilate in order to kind of gain favor within that within that space. Then after they try to assimilate and it doesn't work out, what happens, what happens next? The next generation is kind of frustrated by that assimilation and they want to know, look, we weren't even accepted all that much. We didn't really make that many inroads. At the very least, we should try to return back to the original vision. So the second generation becomes more devout, becomes more religious. The third generation, he says, they were raised with this kind of devoutness. They were raised with the system already in place. They were raised with the institutions, with the vision, with the model. And it's the third that generation that starts to question all over again, what's our job now? How do we continue this? How do we how do we build from here? What is our role in this unfolding story? And I think while Ravmeyer Simpa of da Vinsk was talking about European Jewry, this is very true of American Jewry. Of my four grandparents, only one of them received a very basic Jewish education. My grandfather, who actually became an out of town rabbi in Portland. He married my grandmother, could not read Hebrew. Benched in English with pray in English. You know, wasn't able to read Hebrew. My father's parents grew up. They could speak Yiddish, they actually could read Hebrew. But they were what it meant to be Jewish in the nineteen twenties, thirties and forties, not much. I mean, my Zadi worked on shabis really until he retired. They kept the basic holidays they had. They were Americ, classical American Jews. And it was my father who kind of broke off and said, I want to get a richer and more robust Jewish education. I don't want to fully assimilate. I want to have a real access and foundation for my own Jewish life. He was the one who insisted, to the outright protests of my bubby and Zadi, I want to go to Yeshiva University. My grandparents were horrified, you want to be a rabbi. I thought you were going to be a doctor. I thought you were going to be an oncologist, which he ended up becoming. But no, he went out and then my father gave his children, all five of us on one of five. We got to start, and we got the full We went to a Jewish elementary school, a Jewish high school, we spent we all spent two gap years in Israel, me and all my siblings, and thank God, we kind of built this model of Jewish life in America. I think the question now that the tension that I think people very much see coming is what about the next generation?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: What about our children? Our children are being raised in a world where there are more institutions of Jewish education than there ever been before. The momentum the culture in American Jewelry has become so much more traditional. There's been an October seventh Awakening within the non orthodox world that has made it very in vogue to kind of seek out tradition. And now we have kids that are kind of growing up in this magisterial Jewish world. They have more access than ever, it's easier than ever to be Jewish, and I think they're confronting the same question that you started with, which is like so what now, Like what are we supposed to do. Where should we move towards now that we got this? So what you see is in some communities, you know, in the modern Orthodox community, you see people who are moving more towards the Yeshiva world, less the Hasidish world, which is a very closed community. It's very hard to integrate into the Sttmer community and to Gare or any other skvare, but essentially the modern Orthodox community. Their kids are waking up and saying, I don't want to just go around the merry, go round around another round. You know, we did it once. Where are my kids going to go? So what you find is that the children of our generation are trying to make their Jewish experience their own, put their own stamp on it. And what I have found is a sely the two most popular pathways to kind of make Judaism their own is you see a lot of people who choose, you know, they're twenty years old now and they choose to move to a more Yeshiva oriented community. They don't want to live in. Uh. You know, I don't want to start naming you know, Tank or Anglewood or the Five Towns or even Boca that they want to they want to go to a more serious yeshiva community, or they want to transform the community of their childhood into something that offers even more robust, even more transcendent experiences. They want to just fly off their chair. And you see this a lot. You know, communal events. If you look at a communal calendar, what brings people out? What gets people? You see there's more celebrations of yard sites, which is the anniversary of someone's death, of famous rabbis, that gets people out. I didn't grow up with seeing a lot of that. I didn't grow up seeing much done on tubashwad. I think a lot of places now the most exciting day, which is a day this is celebration of agriculture. I don't want to go in the history. But what gets people a tubasha tish. They want to go out and they want to feel something.
Speaker 2: It's the let's just define it. It's the New Year's to the trees.
Speaker 3: New Year's for the tree is very good exactly that they're kind of looking for some transcendence. I think part of the draw of religion is not its familiarity, but how it's it brings you to some place that's unfamiliar, that feels like transcendent, that feels otherworldly. Uh. You know the term that the philosopher Rudolph Otto used to use is numinous, which is a word I think you basically made up. But it just feels otherworldly. There's an authenticity to it. But it's right here, you know, in on American soil that people seek out the other thing that you are seeing a tremendous amount of If people don't want to go back on the on the merry go round of a commune American Jewish life is there moving to Israel. And I do think that we are seeing a surge from within the Orthodox community, which the modern Orthodox world does you know they were always Zionists on American soil. We would dance in the Israeli Day Parade or whatever it was. Does it have a phenomenal track record of mass alia. I think we are finally beginning to see a mass alia coming from the modern Orthodox community that we did not see in previous years. A lot of rabbis are announcing I'm leaving my community, I'm building in Israel. And a lot of younger kids, now they're twenty years old, they spent the last two years studying on a gap year program, which is very popular in the Orthodox world. After four years of high school, instead of immediately entering college, they'll take one year, even two years off, very comm take two years off and they'll study in Israel, men and women, shivas and seminaries, and what I think you're seeing a lot of people wonder and grapple with is Look. I went to this high school. I had a great experience at high school. The high schools have all changed since the nineties. They're very experiential. They all have color War, they have dancing, they're about identity formation. They got the memo they're not going to the schools that our parents' generation or even we went to. We were probably our gen we're more or less from the same generation. Schools were just starting to get the memo. I didn't grow up with color War, but I grew up with like what we call ruak school spirit literally school spirit. People who went to yeshiva's in the nineteen sixties, in the nineteen fifties, I mean they have horror stories. I mean a lot of their teachers were Holocaust survivors. They were broken people. They weren't out there to make you feel good. They were there to teach. They were there to teach you the basics, you know, give you maybe a little bit of a potch, a little potch on the cheek if you weren't getting it right. But they we're trying to get you to make sure that you have the material. Schools have become so good at what they do. They are so good at identity formation, particularly in the American modern Orthodox world. I think they are outstanding, borderline, not even born. They're miracles. They're miracles that we have schools that a fifteen year old on American soil wants to be Jewish. I want to do this. It's not because I'm forced, it's not because my parents are making me. This is what gives me a grounding in the world. I think it's unbelievable to see schools of one thousand plus people, which we certainly have in New Jersey, and kids love it there. But it leads to what we've become. It leads to a new set of problems, and that new set of problems is kids are wondering. Okay, so I went to the elementary school in high school. My parents did for these kids growing up, sometimes even their grandparents did. What's our job in this What are we going to do to change this? We're just going to maintain the store, make sure it opens up at nine and closes at five. I mean, manning the shop is a holy work in and of itself, it's not such exciting work. I think a lot of people are being drawn to Israel because the communal building in Israel, the schools, the schooling system in Israel, even the flavor and personality of religious life in Israel is still emerging before our eyes. And it's kind of my hope that like the last, we may be and a part of me hopes that that's the case, the last mass generation on American soil of Jews. I mean, I think there will be Jews on American soil for many, many years to come. But I think it's going to be more and more attractive as people are growing up, that they're going to want to build lives in Israel just just for the very fact that it gives them new opportunities that you're not going to have on American soil, where kind of the institutional life and rhythm has already been determined.
Speaker 2: Interesting, this is your hope while you live in what New Jersey.
Speaker 3: As I'm sitting in New Jersey. You know there's a story. Can I share you a story from the Balshampton always a story that I really like. I want to share it with you because I know you have a lot of listeners from within the community, and I'm trying to source this story. I know without a doubt that I read it, and I actually forgot. I'm a very meticulous note taker, even when I'm reading books for pleasure, and I forgot to write down where I saw this story. But there's a story about the Balshampton that I think really it captures this theme that we're talking about, where somebody went to the Balshamptov, who is the founding personality of the Hasidic movement, and was asking for some what we call a segula, some a merit. What is something I can do that is going to take me out of this problem that I'm struggling with. And the Balshampedev told them, gave them very detailed instructions to sew a certain garment I think it was a blanket, and on the blanket to sew a certain name of God and to do it. And if you do this and you sleep with that blanket, all of your problems are going to disappear. And the person, you know, followed every line of the rule and everything and did everything to a t, and you know what, they were saved, and it was unbelievable. A second person came and was struggling with the same thing and heard this story and also did made the same blanket with the same materials and the same instructions, and did not get redeemed. And he was very frustrated. He said, how come it didn't work for me? And he went to the balshap how come this didn't work for me? How come this didn't how come this didn't take me out of the dire straits? And the Balshamptev said to him, it's said something I think that's very profound. Balshemptis said, it's because you knew from the beginning that it was a segula. You knew it was gonna when you assumed it was going to work from the very beginning, when you knew the pathway would take you to the very end from the start, that was the impediment of it actually achieving success. And I think our previous generations were sowing a blanket with the hopes. They were sowing a communal blanket of sorts with the hope that this is going to work, this is going to kind of be and protect our next generation. And the next generation comes up, and they already know the secret of the blanket. They already know about the importance of Jewish education and community and kind of all the rules that yield to positive religious outcomes and negative religious outcomes. And we've already been through articles and cycles of teens in crisis, adults in crisis. I mean, shit, a crisis. I mean we've been through one thousand and one crises that we're almost left wondering how come our blanket is not working. We should feel the most secure, the most confident, the most confidently Jewish generation in all of Jewish history, and yet we're not. We're looking over our shoulder, We're wondering are we doing the right thing. I think the issue that we're grappling with is that from the moment we started with our blanket, we already knew it was a schoola We knew the outcome of our story at the very beginning, which is part of why I think religious expectations in our generation, and even more so in the next generation hit differently. You know, either of our parents who I suspect. I don't know if you're comfortable to saying what year your parents were born.
Speaker 1: My parents aren't going to be seventy, okay.
Speaker 3: So my parents are a little older. So my parents were born in the late nineteen forties. You know, you'd ask somebody on American soil, regardless of their affiliation, where do you think your life is going to take you? What do you think is going to happen next? They had no clue. They're living in the shadow of the Holocaust and the establishment of the State of Israel, some of the most cataclysmic transformative events in all of Jewish history. How do you know where you're going to end up? You know, the Hasidic communities and the Orthodox communities as we see them today did not exist in the scale back then. They were just beginning to emerge. So everybody started sewing with good intentions and made a blanket in the hope that this would protect them. I think the difficulty that we're dealing with now in twenty twenty six is that the end of our story is already presupposed at the beginning, and what people are trying to find and discover is where is their room for us to blaze a new path? Where is their room for us to discover and make the timelessness of yiddishkite feel personalized for me and not that I'm riding the merry go round or the hamster wheel, the same one as my parents and my grandparents. How do I make this my own? And part of the difficulty is we've done so such a good job building communal institutional life. This was not a question people asked five hundred years ago because we've never lived in a generation never in all of Jewish history. Two that like, never have we had a generation that was raised or had the ability to be raised from nursery to adulthood in Jewish institutions. We've never had that. Never in all Jewish nurseres, kindergartens, elementary schools, Jewish camps, Jewish high schools, seminaries, in Yeshiva's gap years in Israel, Jewish colleges. We have never in all of Jewish history have we been so institutionally mediated. So I think what people are trying to grapple with now is based on the success of what we achieved. There's a reason why we had to build so many institutions on American soil, because the tides of assimilation have never been this strong. We've never grappled with the struggle not of persecution, but freedom of religion. That's a very new struggle for the Jewish people. We're very used to being persecuted. We got a lot of history on that. What we're still learning is how to make the case for Judaism when religion is your choice, and that means each general, we've become very institutionally mediated. And as a reaction to that, what I'm seeing in this moment are people trying to figure out how, in this institutionally mediated world can we still feel very personally at home in our own Jewish life and our own Jewish skin.
Speaker 1: Very interesting. I have a lot of thoughts.
Speaker 2: First of all, the expression from shirt sleeve to shirt sleeve in three generations comes to mind.
Speaker 1: Have you heard it?
Speaker 3: I have just repeated again because I haven't heard it in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like, you know, shirt sleeve is when you work in a factory and you work really difficult manual labor, and the expression is that you go from shirts leave to shirts leave in three generations because the first generation they, let's say, come as immigrants and work really hard. The second generation is very comfortable. They take for granted what they have and they squander it to the point that the third generation is back on the merry, go round to shirt sleeves. So it just takes three generations to lose what you had built exactly. And I think what I am hearing you speak to a lot of what you're talking about is not necessarily what I think about. And so it's very interesting to hear your reflections, especially about the institutional institutional mediation of Judaism. And it is mind blowing what we have built in terms of these Jewish scaffolding for Jewish life, where where it's almost like once it's there, your jew Jewish life is like all automated.
Speaker 1: It's it's like a.
Speaker 3: Moving sidewalk, that's what that's what it feels like in a lot of ways, and people grapple, you know, those moving in an airport. You know, there's the moving sidewalk, Just step on and it'll take you to your gate or you know, past the corridor. And in many ways it's a reaction to this very new issue that the Jewish people have never faced before until on really American soil. It's start a little bit with the Enlightenment, but like, America was founded on freedom of religion, and they're really pretty good at it. You know, We've messed up here and there, and you know now that we've seen a resurgence and anti Semitism, but at the end of the day, we do have freedom of religion in America that has not been taken away, and it's not going to be taken away. But that really did pose a very new set of questions for the Jewish people that we responded to by leaning into institutionally mediated Judaism. Send your kids to school. There are a lot of economic drivers in all of this, but what happened was we are the first generation, meaning you and I, Frieda and Dovid are the We're the third generation who grew up with the institutional scaffolding already in place. So I think our generation kind of enjoyed it, but I think the next generation is genuinely kind of trying to figure out where do I go in all this? What are we going to be building or are we just maintaining this, you know, turning on the lights in the morning and closing them at night. People a generation wants a loftier mission.
Speaker 2: I think so very interesting to hear about where you see the Jewish community. I think I often think that when people are not finding enough of a loftier mission, as you say, they look for a spirituality which I personally don't really speak that language. And I feel like we as Jews have a very often intellectual kind of religiosity. We're looking actually for an intellectual or or communal or.
Speaker 3: Goal oriented I think that our spirituality, what we like, or what I kind of grew up with, is a very embodied spirituality. I think the spirituality that Americans often seek is a very Eastern model of spirituality, which is almost like a form of escapism. That's not a criticism, but it takes you out of this world. It takes you and gives you kind of this zen appreciation of just like your own breath and your own life. Sometimes that's very necessary, and I think there's a room for that in the Jewish world. But the spirituality of day to day Jewish life is actually your responsibilities, a child in a bathtub, even going to work. I mean, it's really embodied spirituality. It's mission oriented living. You know, my father, who despite going to Yeshiva University, did end up becoming a doctor. And actually most of a lot of my father's practice was centered on the Sottmer community, so I always felt a kinship. You know. He took care of some of the real Leder or sender Deutsch who set up Dar yid and and really his entire practice was saved by the Alterer Glauber, who was the really a legend in the Sottmer community who who they manufacture kapattas you know, g Andng. They they've split, but he's the one who saved my father's entire practice. And that's family lore that we always talk about. Despite going to Yeshiva University, my father became an oncologist. And what I grew up with was before going to work, my father worked in Brooklyn, you know on East fourteenth in King's Highway. That's where his that's where his office was. But but what we would wake up to was the garage door opening at four a m. Because my father would go and learn Torah before he went to work. And we all used to hear the you know, there's like that clink of the garag especially if you're in the bedroom on top of the garage. That was our wake up. We do Daddy's off to Daddy's off to work. That to me, like my father, I wouldn't describe him as spiritual in the conventional way. He's not, you know, like jumping on the table and singing in that sense. But there's a spirituality that's almost like baked into his day to day routine. I think that's what is lionized and what maybe this generation is struggling to learn how to appreciate and model in their own lives.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that in that vein.
Speaker 2: Since we're coming to the end of our hour, what do you find people who listen to your podcast are looking for?
Speaker 1: What do they want from you?
Speaker 3: What an awesome question. It's one that I've probably thought about. I'm afraid afraid to think about because I'm very doing great. They lucky you. I could be very self loathing, like I'm like, what, why would anybody want to listen to me? I think what I offer is that I have deep understanding and knowledge of multiple I would say almost the entire spectrum of the Jewish community. I have familial ties, many real familial ties, close familial ties, in the non Orthodox world. Most Bechefkins are not Orthodox. Most Machefkins did not go to Yeshiva. That was my father's like little breakoff that he started there. Most global Bechefins are not Orthodox let alone. I mean they're they're mostly like fully assimilated Americans at this point. But I also live within the modern Orthodox community. I studied in the Yeshiva world. I've always had family connections, and I'm deeply connected to the Torah of the Hassidic world. I am fascinated by the Zionist world. I'm not you know, I'm an okay scholar, and I'm an okay at a lot of different things. I think the value add that I bring is a not just a curiosity, but a deep I'm enmeshed in multiple Jewish communities, deeply enmeshed in multiple Jewish communities, and it gives me a certain insight where you could hear Jews who assume and treat you as an insider, so they talk in front of you as if you agree, and you hear what different Jewish communities are saying about one another, which is a lot to hold, and you kind of learn to discover what are the third rails that like no Jewish communities are ready to talk to about. And what are the areas where we can find some mutual understanding? What are the areas that require more translation? You know, something that I often think about is very often and we began with this in the Jewish world. And this is another statement. I didn't think that I'd be quoting the Zohar twice in one podcast with freedo Izel, but here we are. But there is a statement that's that's a take. A paraphrase of the Zohar was really popularized by Rabbi Moshachaim Litzato, who is an eighteenth century Cabalyist. I'll say it in Hebrew. I'll translate right after, but I want to give you the flavor. And I'm sure you've heard this before kutchabrukhu raisa kadhu, which is that God, the Torah, and the Jewish people are all one manifestation of divinity. God, the Torah and the Jewish people. So I oftentimes ask people, you know an expert, so to speak in God? Is what a prophet?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Somebody who talks to God, somebody who prais a lot, somebody who's constantly in dialogue with God. Somebody who is an expert in Torah? You know the word for that? What would you call them? Tom kacham exactly? A Torah scholar. We don't really have language or word, or we don't ever even think about it. What is an expert in the Jewish people called? What?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: What is that role?
Speaker 3: We know the role of a prophet is direct to God. The role of a tamad kham, a Torah scholar, is the text of the Torah. But what about what about someone who's mining divinity but not directly to God like a prophet, not like a scholar with the Torah, but with from the Jewish temple. Yeah, of studying the Jewish people. So you might say a reba I have more to say this. Maybe it's podcasters. Honestly, I think I think this is something deeply redemptive. I think it is deeply redemptive to allow Jews to talk in a non hierarchical manner. You're not coming at me like you have all the answers. I'm not coming at you like I have all the answers. But what we're doing is we're learning about each other's lives and hopefully each of us walk away enrich with a better vision. If you do that over and over again with different Jewish communities, listen to their struggles, to their successes, to their joys, you end up getting closer to that universal vision of what is yiddishkite, what is Jewish life all about? So, my expert, why do they come to listen to me? I think it's because I am a solid cultural translator of a very wide spectrum of the Jewish world.
Speaker 1: I love that. Do you feel like you push the envelope?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. It depends where you're seated. The envelope changes depending on where the location of your audience. I am never trying to push the envelope for the envelope's sake. There are issues that I bring up that I know in some communities are going to grate on some and there are other communities that are gonna love it, and I have to make a calculated choice. I know what those issues are. There are issues related to sexual orientation. How we relate to gay Jews is very divisive issues. Anytime we deal with gender distinctions, different gender roles is.
Speaker 2: Going meaning the role of women in Judaism, you're not talking about transgenderism.
Speaker 3: To correct, I would put that, yeah, correct. The question of where what is the correct role or gender balance, I think it's I don't like calling it women's place in Judaism because I think it's a question that men and women need to seek. We both need to figure that out. But where where do we draw that line? In different communities within the Orthodox world, outside the Orthodox world, in the secular world, We're all grappling with where's the right way to place this, how do we do this that we don't that we don't infringe. And then lastly, you know, I think people have different styles in how they appreciate Yiddish, Kite, Judaism, Jewish thought, Jewish commitment being justified. It's almost what I would say, the old divider is always going to be the language that we use. You know, I try to speak not my intonation, but there's something called like the broadcaster's tone, the broadcasters dialect, where you basically speak without any accent. I'm speaking with my long Island accent. You have a lovely, carrious Joel accent, even though it doesn't come out as much as I'm sure it once was. But we each have our accents, and broadcasters try to speak with an evenness that everyone can hear. I don't do that with my dialect, but I do try to do that with my language, and that is probably the hardest part about speaking to multiple audiences at the same time. It's much easier to speak to one audience because then you know how to code switch for them, and you know how to make them feel comfortable and at home. At the same time, I don't want to feel totally stripped of any any cultural insider whatsoever. It feels very flat and very dry. People want some of that insiders. They want to hear the way that you pronounce Hebrew or the way that you talk about some of these things. So I think the ultimate divider is the language that people appreciate Judaism being discussed with. And that's where I think I've made the most progress, and it's really a testament, honestly, it's one of the advantages. I want to say this specifically to you and your audience. What I think is very a very interesting distinction between the Hasenic and particularly the Sotmer community and the modern Orthodox community that I have seen, specifically through podcasting. The difference is is that I've noticed the Sopmer community knows that their vision of Jewish life is not for everybody. It's for It's for Sotmer Jews. It's for Sotmer Jews. So when I do something that maybe would be totally unacceptable and curious, Joel, I'm not getting hate mail from Sottmar hassid them in fact, and we have Sotmer listeners I'm getting. That was fascinating. I really enjoyed that there's a sense of confidence that sottmerk Hasidom have in their own life because the burden of appealing to all of world Jewelry is taking off of them. That's not what we're trying to do. I find that I get most of the tension from the modern Orthodox world because I think in the modern Orthodox world we still harbor the hope and the wish, which may or may not be true. And I think reasonable people can disagree about this, but there is a sense in the modern Orthodox world that don't we have the vision that could ultimately unify and be the common judaism for world jewelry. You know, we're balancing, we're in the outside world, we're making a living we're going to college, but we have a Jewish education. So when you do something that is maybe not normative within the modern Orthodox world, I find very often there is even more defensiveness because you are challenging their underlying assumption that I'm not sure if your model either can reach beyond the community. And I think there's a sense that, you know, certain communities want to hold on to that original vision, that our blanket, so to speak, is strong enough to cover the entirety of the Jewish world. Soper nos, that's not going to happen, and they even smile. Let them, let them do their thing. We're not We're not competing with anybody. And I think when you when you're trying to articulate a vision of Judaism that reaches beyond anyone, any one community, any one geographic location, or any one iteration of a cultural manifestation, Orthodox Judaism is one iteration. There have been many iterations that it's not. The language of total does not talk about Orthodox Judaism. But I think specifically in the modern Orthodox world, there is this hope and sense that we have the final vision that could reach the whole world. And that's why I think I do get a little bit more discomfort or sometimes tension, specifically from the from the community where I find myself in.
Speaker 2: Oh that it's very interesting and it makes a lot of sense to me also at the same time, because sometimes I watch that interesting guy who does a Mustashabas show.
Speaker 1: What's his name escaped my mind. He has this radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's called me a million times to come on. I like him a lot. He's he's pushing the envelope. He's really doing the.
Speaker 2: But he seems to get more pushback from not from the Hasidish people. It's like, yeah, it's it's like they're not actually such a such a critical audience. Much to my and surprise, they've also been pretty pretty good to me as well, which I'm very grateful, because the Jeish community, they're they're a tough crowd.
Speaker 3: It's a tough crowd.
Speaker 1: It's a tough crowd.
Speaker 3: It's a tough crowd. But but I love them. I love the toughness. I love I love the criticism, the pushback, being forced to rearticulate what you thought you believed and somebody says, how can you believe that? And then you really have to like sit back and say well, what do I believe? And the fact that I have an audience that's engaged, the fact that I get to be in touch with people like yourself is such an absolute privilege. It comes at a cost. It can be exhausting. I think we're exposed to a wide enough spectrum of the Jewish world that we have moments of fatigue or even outright you know, we we can God forbid lose faith in the Jewish people. But one thing that I think unites you and I is that that faith and that joy and that curiosity of the broader Jewish world. It's it's phenomenal. It's so joyful and it's so holy. And I look at both of us as kind of different. Uh, the labor different Stenders. Yeah, Stender is a lectern where people typically study in a bate madrash, But you and I have different lectures in the same base measures for the study of the Jewish people.
Speaker 1: Oh. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: That's very very beautiful. I'm gonna I'm gonna leave you to the last word because that was very very lovely. I so enjoyed learning from you. We'll have to do this again, and please continue some other time. I guess I'm gonna link to.
Speaker 1: All of your your stuff in the video description of people yeah, people, yeah.
Speaker 2: Usually I ask at the end what we should link, but I got I'm just gonna link to the podcast.
Speaker 3: And all your other things and look to our YouTube channel because you're doing you crack the YouTube algorithm. We're oh yeah, yeah, you popped out because you do these unbelievable reels that really show you what life is like. And williams Burg it is why I continue to describe your You are doing holy works. You know, use whatever words you want, but I generally I look funny because we before we started, that was funny.
Speaker 1: I told you that it's it's not what I'm looking for. And he said, I don't remember how he said. You made me laugh.
Speaker 3: I said, that's exactly why it's so holy. It's because you're not looking to do holiness, because you started sewing the blanket without knowing the outcome. That's really what.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly I I feel like Jewish people seem to have a tendency. I've come across people multiple times of accusing you to do good things you're not trying to do them, which is an interesting uh, an interesting thing anyway, thank you so much for your time, and also thank you to all the viewers on YouTube. Please check out David's YouTube channel and also the podcast listeners as well, and abiding