Speaker 1: Now your host for playoff Dodger Toss sound Off Angelinos David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after Game one of the NLCS as the Dodgers shut out the Mets nine to nothing. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until ten o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports phone lines are open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. We will hear from Jose Mota at nine forty tonight. Also we'll head downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman. But when you look at this game tonight, it starts and ends with Jack Flaherty. With the way Jack Flaherty came out in the top of the first inning, and how much of a feel he had for his slider and his curveball, and the way he attacked the Mets hitters, you felt like it was going to be a good night for the Dodgers. And when the Dodgers loaded the base is against CODEI Senga in the bottom of the first inning and we're not able to score until they got two outs, it was a little bit of nervous time, and you felt like, Okay, here we go. We're letting Senga off the hook right here if you're the Dodgers. But Max Munsey delivered a clutch base hit to drive in the first two runs of the game, and Jack Flarity and the Dodgers were off to the races. The Mets did not get a hit until the fifth inning. Jack Flerty had a no hitter through the first four innings of this game. Tonight, a leadoff single in the fifth inning by Jesse Winker. The dh was the first hit the Mets had, and basically the fifth inning was the only sort of offense the Mets even materialized, and it wasn't much of anything. After Jesse Winkers singled the right field, Jose and Glacias singled Winker to second base, but Winker was going first to third and for whatever reason, stop between second and third and Keik A Hernandez heads up high baseball, IQ through to second base to keep the double play in order and through behind Winker, who for whatever reason stopped. The Dodgers were able to get Winker out, and all of a sudden it was one out with a man at first base instead of first and third and nobody out, and from there Taylor flied out to right and Alvarez lined out to center. That was it. That was the Mets offense, and it wasn't much of anything. The Dodgers, now, with Jack Flaherty pitching seven scoreless innings, Daniel Hudson and Ben Casparius closing it out with zeros, have pitched thirty three consecutive scoreless innings using twelve different pitchers. In contrast, the nineteen sixty six Orioles in the World Series that year sweeping the Dodgers used only four different pitchers to pitch thirty three consecutive scoreless innings. The Dodgers are doing it with a pitching staff. It's a lot different than what it used to be. And like I mentioned during the Clubhouse Show, the last time any team had a pitch or throw a complete game in the postseason was all the way back in twenty seventeen when Justin Verlander pitched a complete game for the Astros in Game two of the ALCS. So it's not just the Dodgers. Everybody just wants to focus on the Dodgers because they are on this stage more than others. This is the way most teams are doing business these days, and there's only a handful of starters that probably could pitch a shutout or a complete game. At the very least. Jack Flaherty probably could have. He probably could have gone nine innings tonight, but seventh scoreless was more than enough. Did the job. And not only did Flerity do his job in a big way. Not only did the Dodgers win, but with the offense score nine runs and Flaherty pitching seven scoreless innings, it allows the Dodgers to go with a bullpen game tomorrow. They were going to have to pitch at least one bullpen game in this series, and they were hoping they would get what they got tonight to be able to pitch a bullpen game tomorrow, a day game going up against Sean Manaiah Walker Buehler. Game three at City Field eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs to Mookie Betts, who all of a sudden now is not getting criticism for not being a postseason player anymore.
Speaker 3: I mean, at the end of the day, if you want to win win a row series, you'll figure out how to do it, and we all, everyone in here wants to win, and so uh, honestly, I don't think it's that hard. Maybe, you know, your energy may be down a little bit, but then then I mean, if you want to win a Row Series, you got to figure out a way to get it up. So you know, it wasn't really that tough.
Speaker 4: We're just trying rejected for just with his performance on the mound and what he did for this team today.
Speaker 3: I mean, he definitely I think that's where our energy started. You know, he came out Scolers first. That was huge. We were able to strike first, and then he was able to give us a shutdown any right after that. So I think our energy all started with left with Jack and I mean, he know everybody saw what else what he did after that, But I know that those first two innings were really when the energy started.
Speaker 4: I know you kind of hit on it, but just how important was it to come into this series not taking your foot off the gas, especially just considering you know, of a talk with Max looking back to twenty twenty one and leaving the emotions of the NLDS going into the CS against Atlanta, Just how do you guys, how did you think you'll manage that a little bit differently this year?
Speaker 3: I think we just stayed on that high, you know. I think we didn't try and reset, you know, I think we were We're like, no, we just want would be a really really good ball club. We know another the ball club is coming in and so we have to stay there.
Speaker 5: We have to stay that.
Speaker 3: We can't go down and then try and recreate it, you know, we have to stay, stay up. And like I said, Jack really really gave it to us today.
Speaker 1: Every year is different, and obviously this team is different than the one in twenty one.
Speaker 6: But how much did you guys learn from kind of that experience of going to Atlanta after after that five years set against the Giants?
Speaker 2: Stay year, we learned a lot.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: We beat a really good team then and then obviously played a really good team after that and lost. Thinking that we can reset and then get back into the flow, but it doesn't really work that way, you know. And I think it was a great learning experience for all of us, especially myself, and so we're able to take that and apply it to today and we are we come out to.
Speaker 2: Win, all right, there's Mookie Betts after the Dodgers shut out the Mets nine to nothing in Game one of the NLCS eight six six, seven two five seventy is the phone number coming up. Later in the show, you'll hear from Freddie Freeman and Tommy Edmond, who played a big part in this game as well. Let's go out to Whittier. Tony, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 8: Hi, Tony, Hey, what's up.
Speaker 9: Thanks for taking my call. I just want to make a quick observation. I feel that the Dodgers are getting hot at the perfect time. In past Pool seasons, we seen teams come in they just write lightning to the World Series. But I think the Dodgers are writing that right now. Everything's clicking.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I just have a good feeling about this team.
Speaker 2: Would you agree that feeling? Was it thirty three consecutive scoreless innings, their pitchers are throwing. I think you're right, Tony, and I know what you're saying. Usually the Dodgers in recent history are facing the hot team. Well, it feels like the Dodgers are that hot team and peaking at the right time. Thanks for the phone call. And a big reason why is they're playing for each other. We saw that. I feel like talking to people around the Dodgers, they told me that NLDS series turned in a loss when they were losing in Game three. Walker Bueller giving up six runs in that second inning comes back to the dugout, throws the cooler of bubblegum and lets everybody know that was not acceptable. I'm holding myself accountable and holding you accountable. And then Taoscar Hernandez with the Grand Slam. People around the Dodgers believe that was the turning point, and the Dodgers have started to play for each other tonight. You know we get calls about small ball, Well, the Dodgers played small ball tonight. Gavin Lux and Tommy Edmund each laid down sacrifice bunts to put runners in scoring position, and they got key base hits from the big boys, Freddie mooki Otani Munci. But they are playing for each other, key a Hernandez getting base hits, not having big swings. Here was Tommy Edmund after the game when I caught up with him. Tommy Edmund, you had a big part in this. It felt like you guys played a complete game tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was an awesome game. You know. Obviously Jacks did a great job of throwing seven. Shout out at thanks, keeping the street going, and our offense came out banging and we just did a good job in all fastest of.
Speaker 2: The game, thirty three consecutive scoreless innings. Now for your pitching staff, what does that say about everybody top to bottom?
Speaker 6: Man, they've been locked in. You know, it's too good offense we've gone up against too, so to do that it against anybody is impressive, and against these guys even more so.
Speaker 2: Tommy. I know the Dodgers have the identity of slugging, but man, you and Gavin Lux really returned the favor of advancing the runner. How important is that going to be for you guys?
Speaker 6: Yeah, playing a little small ball. You know, we've both got some buns down and you know both times it's set up an RBI single, So you know, didn't just rely on the homer today and still put up nine runs.
Speaker 2: Tommy, love watching you play baseball, not only what you do physically, but you're always thinking the game. Thank you for stopping.
Speaker 11: Thank you, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Tommy. Edmund had the uniform dirty and really it as a really smart baseball player. And like he said, the Dodgers put up nine runs tonight without hitting a home run. During the NLDS that five game series, the Dodgers hit sixteen home runs to score twenty four runs. Let's go back out to the phones. Mark was at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Mark, you're on Dodger Talk hither day.
Speaker 12: If yes, it was a great game, and I hope it sets the tone for the rest of the games of the series. So my question has to do with Ben Kispirius. I was very happy to see Roberts give him a chance to pitch in the ninth inning. I have seen him one other game a few weeks ago. I was very impressed with him. I know he's very young. He was lights out in that game. He was very mature in the interview afterwards, and I was wondering going forward, do you see a place for him with the Dodgers, And if so, what do you think he can contribute? You think they'll hold on to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. And Ben Caspira's as that edge and that nastiness that the rest of those relievers have, and the Dodger bullpen. I think he's going to get more opportunities in this postseason. That was low leverage nine to nothing, but he serves the purpose and look if the Dodgers need him again in this series. I don't think Dave Roberts is going to shy away from him. He's going to be part of this pitching staff, whether it's as a starter or a reliever moving forward. He's got it. He's not intimidated and certainly has great mound presence. Eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Oscar in Baldwin Park. You're on Dodger Talk. Hi, Oscar.
Speaker 7: That's say how you doing brother?
Speaker 10: Hey man?
Speaker 7: This is the This is the best I've seen him in the stretch, had been in the past twelve years with with the fretch, HA been making the playoffs and stuff. This is the best team. This is definitely the best. He just they got. They got a lot of emotion in the man. I think it's like we said all year with the stretch, with tany and stuff, and so the first college said, I feel good about this team. The one thing about the scoreless innings, man, I think it's more impressive in this day and age, and it was back then with all the long ball down and everything like that. But then the whole teams like this cord Us in the playoffs in this day and age, that's impressive, man. So you know what, one last team, man, I want to see a Dodger Yankee World Series. The last I hadn't seen one of my last and the last thing to say, eighty one was a year before I was born. I want to see it, man, I want to see it.
Speaker 2: Hey, there's a good chance it's going to happen, Oscar. I feel like the Dodgers are going to hold up their end of the bargain. And like I said, during the NLDS, a lot of fans seem to worry about more about what the other team can do instead of realizing how good the Dodgers are. The Dodgers are a really good team, and the Mets are riding this magic wave. Actually since the Dodgers swept them in New York all the way back in May. They swept a doubleheader and won the first game of that series. And after that, Francisco Lindor and JD. Martinez held a team meeting to just get everybody relaxed, and from there they went on to win eighty nine games this season, but they just don't have enough to beat the Dodgers. The Dodgers are better top to bottom, and they're playing really well. They're playing for each other, as was evident tonight. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. In fact, I can't remember a Dodger team that was playing for each other as much as this team is. Since twenty seventeen. I wasn't around the team in the clubhouse, around them on an everyday basis. In twenty I was relegated to the press box for every game, and when we were in the bubble, I was in my own bubble. I was in a broadcast booth for that entire three and a half weeks while the players were downstairs. My only communication with them was over text, phone calls, zoom and interviews from the clubhouse to where I was. So they were really tight because they had to be. They were together twenty four But in these type of normal circumstances, this is the first team I have seen since twenty seventeen playing for each other and quite honestly doing the unselfish team at bats that we saw tonight to set up nine runs without hitting a home run. Let's go out to Brayden, who is at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi, Braiden, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey man, Hey, I just wanted to say Jack Clarity, he's a dog. He went out there. He is it all night. He went out and shoved it all night. And you know I wouldn't. I wouldn't go and say the Mets don't have enough to beat us. I mean, but hey, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna they don't have a crow.
Speaker 7: But you don't.
Speaker 5: You don't want to be too cocky. You want to just they could.
Speaker 2: Be as cocky as I want. I'm not playing.
Speaker 5: Hey, I love it. I love it bat day. Hey, I just want to say they they went out there and proved it tonight. They did everything right the right way. Clarity went out there and set up the bullpen for tomorrow. He set up the rotation for the red the series, and hey, let's go. Let's keep it going. Let's keep it going all the way through the rest of the series. Thanks Dave.
Speaker 2: All Right, Braden, thank you for the phone call. Look, if you go back to the NLDS. When you were listening to this show, I told you whoever won Game one had a really good chance of winning the series. The Dodgers won Game five. I predicted a five game NLDS with a Dodger win. I'm saying the same thing here, a five game series win for the Dodgers over the Mets. I believe the Dodgers may lose a game in New York. Remember the format is two, three to two. But I just don't see the Mets having enough to be able to beat the Dodgers, especially when you're getting a start like that from Jack Flaherty. Nine to nothing, shut out win for the Dodgers over the Mets. Freddie Freeman again going out there, not only being out there, but actually being an impact player. He was with Kirsten Watson on Sports and at LA.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean I thought we did a great job. I mean, we got great day yesterday here. You know, we were about the intensity early on, even in our hitters meetings, we were pretty intense. So I thought we just came out with a great attitude. And obviously Jack, I mean, it's all Jack tonight. So glad we get some runs and let him go deep in the game.
Speaker 4: You like at just what he's able to do. What kind of made you see that you know he had it going.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean just a fast hid curiots the bottom of the zone and then you can throw the slider off of it. As a hitter, when you when you can tunnel pitches off like that, it's very hard to hit. And you can just tell Jack had it going from the from the first inning and we needed that especially going into tomorrow. So things are things are looking good at the start, Brady.
Speaker 2: How about you guys scoring runs in three of the first four innings and not hitting any home runs.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's good. It's very hard to do in the postings and you're facing the best pictures in the game, so to score runs multiple runs, Uh, made a good approach. We walked a lot, capitalized in some mistakes, and I thought we did a good job overall as a whole, as a group.
Speaker 13: As a local value yourself, Howey you relate to see him help here form able to do this in front of the home plays and phone.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean he's been pitching Dodger Jallimes since he was in high school, so it's not nothing new to him. If you know Jack at all, He's got a nice demeanor about him. Nothing seems too big for him. With his mom in the stands, I think he wanted to go out there and do great. So overall, great day for the plarities.
Speaker 14: Pready, the more you.
Speaker 8: Play on my equal, like, is it getting easier just to day here a game, knowing.
Speaker 13: What to expect, how it's gonna do.
Speaker 11: That's a tough an answer. I would say, when I wake up, I know if I'm gonna be able to make it through. Now, we've got a good plan. We've got a tight window tomorrow. I mean, it takes me about four and a half hours to get ready for a game, so me and Bernard Lee might be sleeping here tonight, but we I mean, I'm getting used to it. I know what to expect day in and day out, and I mean, it's obviously not going to get better, but I think we're at a good point where it's not gonna get worse unless I roll it again. But that's why I'm bating on the outside to keep it from because hitting bases, you just never know if it's going to roll. So that's why we're spatting right now. But We're in a good spot where it's not getting worse when I'm playing on it, but it's obviously not getting better at either.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Freddy Freeman on sports Net LA and I loved in the first inning when Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman scored on month Sea's two out single. Mooki scored first, and he was there to catch Freddy Freeman, who was hustling digging around third base. Scored standing up, but with a bad right ankle, it's really hard to put on the brakes, even when after you've scored, so Mooki was there to catch and hold up Freddy Freeman after he scored. That was I think that image is going to be shown a lot when history reflects on this. NLCS eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Mets nine to nothing without hitting a home run. Let's go wat to Hosey. Who is that Dodger Stadium tonight? Hi, jose you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 14: Hey Dave, nice to hear from you, but I just wanted to piggyback on what you have been saying. The Dodgers are playing such cohesive, unselfish baseball, and it's so refreshing to see after all these NLDS exits that we've been faced with. But I also want to give a really big shout out to Dave Roberts. I feel like he is such a big part of that confidence and how he instills that in the guys, and you know, like how he managed that bullpen game in Game four, and you know, really trusting him for tomorrow. I'm wondering if you know those high leverage arms are going to come in and pitch, you know, according to the hitters, or kind of let the offense dictate how long of a leash. You know, each bullpen guy has.
Speaker 2: No when it's a bullpen game, Jose, they each have groupings of hitters that the Dodgers kind of map out before the game. What really, I mean, I've said this a lot today and since Game four, I have never seen a bullpen game go as perfect as it did for the Dodgers in Game four. Not only did every pitcher put up a zero, they used eight different pitchers in that bullpen game, but the Dodgers got an early five nothing lead. It makes it so much easier to be able to execute that when you have a five to nothing lead, and I don't know if they're going to be able to be perfect again. But it's hard to doubt those relievers back there. But you know, it's I would find it very hard to believe that it's going to go as perfect as it did in Game four. That's the epitome of a bullpen game.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, and Dave Roberts, I trust.
Speaker 2: All right, and Andrew Freeman. Andrew Freeman has a big hand in the mapping out all that as well. He Dave Roberts has to execute it in real time.
Speaker 15: Yeah, make out to both of them.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dave, all right, Jose, thank you. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's keep it rolling. Javier, was that Dodgers Stadium tonight? Hi Javier, Hi.
Speaker 10: David, thank you so much for taking my call. Man, you're the best. Just want to say, don't want to get too cocky, but like you said, we can't because we're not playing. We're gonna sweep. So get your brooms ready, go to home depot by two. The Meds look week, Grimace. I don't know what happened to the McDonald's eating cheeseburgers. Who cares. That's there we go. We got petrols, a money baby, that's right, we got David No, but all Seriously, I like how the Dodgers are playing that small ball. I took my youngest art to the game. I said, look, that's a butunt. That's how you move runners in scoring position back in my day. So the Dodgers looking great playing that small ball. Love it looking like eighty eight. We're gonna sweep. Bring on the Yankees, bring on Cleveland, the Indians, the Guardians, whatever they're called. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: David, all right, Javier, I love it. I love it. There's a guy that understands the Dodgers have a really good team and they're playing their best baseball of the season. And remember, coming into the postseason, so many doubters. He can't do it with just Flarity and Bueler and kind of Yamamoto. Well, the Dodgers are doing it, and their offense is making it really I shouldn't say easy, but it's really helping out the Dodgers game plan for their pitching and to get a start like tonight from Jack Flaherty seven scoreless, innings. I mean, you couldn't ask for anything more. And I love seeing Jack going over to see his mom after we spoke. I mean that was a special moment as well, because she was sitting at Dodgers Stadium when Jack flarerity led Harvard Westlake to their high school championship. And here he is. That was twenty thirteen. He was here at Dodgers Stadium pitching Harvard Westlake to the championship. And here he was tonight in twenty twenty four, pitching the Dodgers to a nine to nothing game one NLCS win two five seventy. Let's go out to Mark in Huntington Beach. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hi Mark, Hi David again.
Speaker 16: And you know, for once, I can tell anyone and everyone how all the so called experts and talking heads have said all the Dodgers don't have a rotation. They're not gonna even make it past San Diego.
Speaker 17: They're not even gonna have a bulletin that can hold up the batter's mookie's not gonna do anything again, not especially those idiots on ESPN.
Speaker 12: But anyway, what they don't realize is this Dodger.
Speaker 17: Team has the heart of a champion, and tonight was no less showing that they had a heart of a champion tonight. They've had all series all year, and when you have a heart of a champion, you not only go to the World Series, you win the World Series.
Speaker 2: I love that, Mark. I don't see anybody stopping the Dodgers at this point, but there's still a lot of nlcs left and I like the Dodgers' chances. Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. You know, when can he talk about the heart of a champion? How about Freddie Freeman, who he heard from earlier, not only out there at first base, but he also drives in a run, scores a run on a bad right ankle, and who knows what else has added up the toll of you know, just this time of year on Freddie and here he is out there. I don't feel like it's a stretch to say he is the most inspirational person in the postseason right now for what he's doing, how he's going out there and really sending a message to the rest of this team that he believes they can win a World Series. He wouldn't be out there if he didn't believe they could win a World Series. Trust me. The Dodgers scored nine runs tonight without a home run, but we still got to give some love to our friends at Daniels Jewelers. They are the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Freddy Freeman is not only the is not the only question mark for the Dodgers tomorrow. Gavin Lux may be a question mark tomorrow as well. He had to leave this game midway through with a hip flexer tightness. Key Key Hernandez moved from center to second base at that point, so we'll see whether or not Lux is in the starting lineup. The Dodgers are going up against a lefty and Sean Manaia, so if Lux can't go, you will probably see Taylor in center, Kei k at second, or a combin one combination of the either. So with a lefty on the mound, it might not be a stretch to believe that the Dodgers would give Lux a day off tomorrow. They have a day off the day after tomorrow. I forgot what day of the week. It is Tuesday. They'll have a day off on Tuesday after tomorrow. So with the lefty Shanmanaya on the mound, I could see the Dodgers starting Kik and Taylor and Lux getting that hip flexer right. Eight six six, nine, seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Mets nine to nothing in Game one of the NLCS CODEI singa only through ten strikes in an inning and a third Tonight, let's go out to Hollywood. Eric, who is believing? Now you're on Dodger.
Speaker 18: Talk, Doctor day shut I don't know, Dave, but they say we don't have any pitches for this postseason. Captain Jack Flake killed it lived up to the moment. I am glad he got to share that with his mom.
Speaker 10: That was that was dope. That was cool.
Speaker 18: Ke K love you, Poppy, love you, Tydy edmund ball today, but anything small ball, I'll take it. Maxie, What's why you fit that baby big in? At the first Indies, every Dodger player is accepting their role at executing. Just like Friedman and just like Doc have put them into position to execute humid rally, Powell says, let's go.
Speaker 2: Love it. Eric, thank you for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, Key a Hernandez, with his home run in Game five of the NLDS, gave him fourteen career postseason home runs. He has more home runs in the postseason than guy's name, Miguel Cabrera, Chipper Jones, and Alex Rodriguez. I saw Major League Baseball on Fox post that. How about that, KEYK a Hernandez with more home runs in the postseason than a rod Miguel Cabrera, and Chipper Jones, three Hall of famers in my book. Eight nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back. More of your phone calls. Plus you'll hear the story of Blake Trining going to be with his wife out of state for the birth of their third child in between Games four and five, and then getting back in time to shut down the Padres in the ninth inning to be the last man standing on the mound in that series. An incredible story. We'll share it with you when we continue. After the Dodgers shut out the Mets nine to nothing on a five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 2: Here's the two one pitch.
Speaker 1: Ooky Bets hits it on the ground.
Speaker 2: Beyond the diving man.
Speaker 19: We'll sit third down the line at bear kiy Kson here mars so by coming around no players a play a three run double from Bookie Bets. He unloads the faces and makes it nine nothing Dodgers.
Speaker 2: The game was in the refrigerator at that point. Eggs were cool and butter was getting hard. As the legendary chick Hern would say. Dodgers take Game one of the NLCS, shutting out the Mets nine to nothing. David Vassey live at Dodgers Stadium with you until ten o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. I was actually just watching Max Munsey's appearance with the guys on Fox down on the Field, Big Poppy, Jeter and a Rod, and Mounsey checked David Ortiz, MONSI was keeping the receipts on the people that were picking the Padres and the ones that were picking the Dodgers. And Big Poppy picked the Padres to beat the Dodgers in the NLDS. And Monsey called him out on it. He said, hey, did you really pick us? And Poppy Poffy started lying. He did not deny it. He denied the Dodgers three times in front of Max Munsey. But Big Poppy, we know you picked the San Diego Madres. Okay, you're a red Sock, You're a Boston guy. We don't like you. LA don't like Boston. So you know what those guys Jeter, David Ortiz, A Rod, you guys don't move the needle for us in LA. You guys are Yankees and Red Sox. Actually the guy I like the most out of those three is Alex Rodriguez.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, I've gotten to know Alex pretty well and I like him and he's more down to earth than those other guys. But I mean, come on, David Ortiz, you're going to deny the Dodgers three times in front of Max Munsey, who knew you picked the Padres in the NLDS. Come on, let's go big Poppy, your Mookie's big brother supposedly, and you picked against him and his team. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go back out to the phones. Coyle, you're on Dodger Talk. Where are you being, Coyle?
Speaker 13: I'm doing good. Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Okay, great to hear that.
Speaker 13: I've got to give a big shout out to Jack Clarity. Me and my dad yesterday drove down from the Bay to go see this game. And he pitches, you know, he pitched his heart out, So I just got to give him a big, big congrats. You know, I think he could have come out there and been be saved by what happens against the Padres, but he lost in he picked his heart out and he helped he bought this to the wins.
Speaker 15: So I just want to give him a big shout out.
Speaker 2: Hey, there you go, Flarerty and his family are listening, no doubt about it. In the Grade one eight Hey, By the way, the Dodgers tonight scoring nine runs without hitting a home run. That was special as well, but you know, when when you score nine runs, you would expect the story to be about the offense. It wasn't. It was about Jack Flaherty and couldn't be happier for him. Now Tomorrow, don't forget. Game two of the NLCS is not a five o'clock game. Game two is at one oh five. So if you're coming to the game tomorrow and you have tickets for Game two one oh five, and the auto gates open three hours before first pitch, so get here early. I know there's morning rush hour traffic. I believe it's a holiday tomorrow, Bankers Holiday, so maybe traffic won't be as bad. But a weird start time for a LA New York playoff series, no doubt about it. After the game, the Dodgers are going to fly to New York and work out at City Field on Tuesday. But don't forget tomorrow, Game two of the NLCS, first pitch at one oh five here at Dodgers Stadium. Let's go out to Diane, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight.
Speaker 18: Hi Diane, Hi David, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing pretty good, Diane. The Dodgers are making me look good and making it good at the same time.
Speaker 20: They sure are. So I've been at all the games and it's been full of energy, and I just love that the crowd did that. I took a gamble and I booked a flight about a week and a half ago to go to New York. So I'll be leaving on Wednesday to go watch the Dodgers clench the series in New York.
Speaker 2: Look at you, Diane, I love that. Good for you. Yes, we'll see you out at.
Speaker 5: City I met you and Philly.
Speaker 20: I met you in Philly eating a Shilly cheese steak sandwich, and I look forward to seeing you in New York.
Speaker 2: Oh, you caught me red handed that day.
Speaker 7: I did all right, Diane.
Speaker 2: Look forward to seeing you on New York. Thanks a lot for the phone call. Now Tomorrow, that one oh five game for the Dodgers is going to be a bullpen game. The way the offense scored and the way Jack Flaherty allowed the Dodgers to go with a bullpen game tomorrow instead of Game three at City Field. Blake Trinon, you can be sure, is going to be a big part of tomorrow's game. And Blake Trinon, in case you didn't know, a five out save in game one of the NLDS, and then came in and slammed the door on the padres in game five and was the last pitcher on the mound of that series. In between games four and Game five, Blake Trnon went out of state back to his home to be with his wife, Katie, who was giving birth to their third child. Blake Trnon left the Dodgers on the workout day to go be with his wife, be there for the birth of their child, and then came right back to La to be ready to close out Game five. Blake was our pregame guest, and here's part of our conversation and the story on how all that went down.
Speaker 21: Not many people have probably had that off opportunity. So I'm not going to say that I'm like I had this superhero scenario. It was just it's what we were dealting. We made the most of it, and you know, as we got to witness a mini miracle and our daughter being born healthy and my wife being healthy, and and then God blessed me with an opportunity to finish the game the next day. So but yeah, your question about hours, we had a scheduled you know, induction for that day, and we went in at six am, and so I got back at like one in the morning, and then slept for about four and a half hours and.
Speaker 3: Went in and then I was there all day.
Speaker 10: And then.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 21: You get to go home and be with your kids. So I got to sleep in our bed because we can't have the kids in the room. So I went home and was with the kids, and then got up the next morning and went in and was with Katie and Quinn, and yeah, I was there for a few hours, and then I had to get a flight and come back here.
Speaker 2: So it was, it was, It was nice, incredible, incredible for Blake trying into leave the team on the off day they induced their daughter's birth and he gets back on a plane four or five hours later to be back and ready for Game five and closes out Game five in that type of emotional setting. Just remarkable. And to hear the full conversation with Blake Trnon, just to hear all of it, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. All right, let's get to our guy, Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Moda.
Speaker 2: Well, Jose Modi and I spent some quality time with Many Ramirez before the game today and before he threw out the first pitch. You could see that video on Jose and Mine's Instagram. Man, Jose, great to see Many Ramirez and great to see him just hanging out in your Spanish radio booth with you and your dad, Matt.
Speaker 10: He was just chilling out.
Speaker 22: But you know what, he is so appreciative of what the Dodgers have done with him the last couple of weeks brought him to a game and then throw another first pitch, and when they aligned this, he was like, man, we got to get that team to the second round and out of the World Series, because I really want to make sure I'm make an appearance, not just on the seats as it did a couple of weeks ago, but on the field and bro and the fans.
Speaker 23: That interact so many people around them. Benny's appreciate out of your fans. It's time here, honey would But also I got that brings a mentality and one where he told.
Speaker 22: Me actually today Dave, he goes. Dave Roberts is a guy I love so much because when he was with me in Cleveland.
Speaker 10: He's one of.
Speaker 22: Those guys that we all went to get some knowledge in little wisdom here and there. He goes, look who he is today, And I passed the messages on today. But he was quite happy that man he was going to be around today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't the first time they were teammates. And four Dave Roberts spent eight years in the minor leagues with the Cleveland Indians when Manny was coming up, so that makes sense. Thanks for reminding us of all that, Jose. And then once the game started, Jack Flaherty looked like the best version of himself.
Speaker 22: Yeah, Jack was on and I'm glad to have spoken with him recently about that urgency of you know, pitch number one in the playoff and the fact that things did not go as well as he planned and wanted to deliver in the first time he pitched against the pottery, So you know, like, yo, I'm alatively.
Speaker 10: He takes that and said, well, I need to be better at this. And what did he do better today? Well, the fact is, I think.
Speaker 22: There's velocity differential, Dave. He was twenty miles an hour of difference between pitches, Okay, between ninety five and seventy five. What I like also besides that is the fact that I mean Jack didn't miss much out over the plate. He had consistency from Jeremy Rehact behind the plate, and he had the ability to pitch backwards. This Mets team could ambush you very quickly, but he just had him thinking and jumping around and guessing so many times where he was able to establish a sinker inside which had nice run inside. Today the swings and missus were a pitcher that he wanted to have swings and missus. But I think there's a little baffling also going back and forth because they just cannot get a note as to which way he's going to go with a baseball and what veloci they were going to see.
Speaker 2: The favorite part of this game for me, offensively, Jose, was how the Dodgers were able to score nine runs without hitting a home run. We know the home run ball came in in a big way during the NLDS, but I just love seeing guys knowing who they are at the bottom of the lineup. We saw Gavin Lux and Tommy Edmund laid down sacrifice bunts to put runners in scoring position for show Hao Tani. That's what the Dodgers need to do and something we didn't see a lot during the regular season.
Speaker 22: No, I mean ten sacrifice bunts overall as a team, and most of them went to one guy. Right today, you know one thing for sure, and you know, having played playoff mode baseball those last couple of weeks of September just opens out that mentality of who we are and what is expected from me. What is expected from the bottom of the lineup is not this slug, is to get them and turn the lineup around. And also here's something to consider. There's many managers that will think, well, I don't want you to bun in front of joehial TONI because they're going to walk him.
Speaker 5: So what let him walk?
Speaker 22: Joehiltani. You got Bokie Bets and Freddie Freemer right behind it.
Speaker 12: So I'm glad that.
Speaker 22: Dave allows his coaches and to delegate enough to tell the players this is what we're gonna do and stick with it because I believe in you. But Dave, it's something to be said about since the last laws in San Diego, the swings and misses, we all brought it up. There is something said about that to the group to say, listen, we are a powerful team. We can now slug anybody, but also we got to cut down. We've seen some very good pitching and I think the Dollers have gotten into that contact mode that you and I have discussed a lot to strike approaches using the other side of the field, and in October it is the thing that bothers the most on the opposing side because the line keeps moving, You're pressuring the defense and you have also the other managers saying who and how I'm going to match up and the valuers again see big pieces out of the book an early in the game, early in the series, which is going to be beneficial for them in the long run.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers take Game one of the NLCS with a nine to nothing shutout win. Tomorrow one oh five game Jose Day game, the Dodgers will be facing Sean Manaia, but they will be going to another bullpen game that worked to perfection in Game four against the Padres. How do you see this working out? Can it get any better? Can they duplicate that? It seems that was the epitome of the perfection of what you could expect from a bullpen game.
Speaker 22: I mean, honestly, you expect him to continue to play well and pitch well. But also you know the other team has the notes that they've taken on the opposing pictures. We don't want thing. When it comes down to confidence, and that is a big word here as we move along through October. These guys know they can get anybody out. I am the most out of the bullpen is this Okay. They're not chasing punch outs, they're chasing good pitches, and they're putting the ball in good spots. Nobody's overthrowing, nobody's gone out of control to give the other team opportunities to score. And if you continue that mentality knowing that you do have the punch out if you need it, it just makes you a better picture. And then guys following that and scouting in game is important. And in all those days, we got to give a lot of credit to Will Smith. I mean to parade all these guys in playoff situation for them to throw zeros. His targets are much better, his game calling much better, his blocking much better. I think overall he's done a very good job gutting these guys along, and if they've done it so far, there's good. There's no doubt that keeping an offense down as they have done, you know so far in this playoffs, it's doable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about it. Hopefully Will Smith is part of those pregame meetings and conversations to come up with a game plan because he's the guy executing it and catchers need to be a big part of that. Jose, thanks a lot for the time. We'll see you tomorrow. A quick turnaround for Game two of the NLCS. Very unusual day game like this.
Speaker 22: Well, somebody's gonna take a little prime time sometimes, so the Dodgers don't take your business day game.
Speaker 10: Hey.
Speaker 22: By the way, I had a big game against the Mets in a day game, something like ten to nothing when glasshow was on the mount.
Speaker 10: So all was gonna say, is.
Speaker 22: This word has worked for you?
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 22: Well, I know it's your socio.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks a lot O say yes that or that is the magic words, I guess eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Mets nine to nothing in Game one of the NLCS. Game two tomorrow at one oh five here at Dodgers Stadium with Rick Monday and Stephen Nelson on the call. Let's go out to Las Vegas. Sergio, you're on Dodger Talk. Hi Sergio, where'd you watch the game tonight? Mirage, Sportsbook, Bellagio? Where'd you watch the game tonight?
Speaker 14: BV.
Speaker 8: I was in my living room.
Speaker 2: Nobody stays in their living room in Vegas.
Speaker 8: When I watched the Dodgers.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I have to be basically alone. Even my daughter was in a different room walking in a different TV.
Speaker 10: But here, I have two.
Speaker 8: Quick comments and then two apologies. All right. First, tremendous stress free game from Jack Clarity. Amazing, great job.
Speaker 24: And then the play on Winker by Kika hit the bass hit. He came up and it looked like he if you look at the replay, it looked like he deeked a winker kind of paused and made him pause and he threw back like a you know, like a like like a quarterback that.
Speaker 8: Like a stafford. He's looking one direction and he passes it in a different direction. Tremendous play by Kik. Now, my apologies. I've been a fan since nineteen seventy.
Speaker 2: Six, Dave I was born great year.
Speaker 8: My apologies to Mookie Bets and Dave Roberts.
Speaker 12: Shame on me.
Speaker 8: Earlier in the Padre series, I was doubting them, and I'm mad enough to apologize, just like a lot of people were doubting Mookie Mooky's come through. Dave Roberts. I was never somebody that criticized Dave Roberts. I would actually defend Dave Roberts. And I don't know I went to the dark side there for a minute, but you know, you know, you know, I'm eating my words, and I'm glad that I'm eating my words. Shame on me.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's good. These players, managers, they all need to be held accountable and know that people are out there. I feel like Dave Roberts has gotten a little bit unfair criticism over the course of the last especially four years, you know. And Mooky. Look, I feel like he needed to be held accountable the last two years coming into this season, and he has responded. So I hear what you were saying, But no apology. Boston holds their people accountable. New York holds their athletes accountable. All good If LA does it as well.
Speaker 8: Yep and MLB network host radio hosts. Uh, we're all over the Padres. They need to be eating their words tomorrow when I'm singing at six in the morning Pacific time.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody that picked the Padres are very lucky. I just don't call them out right now by name. I may do it when the Dodgers win the World Series. I may just out everybody that picked the Padres to win the not only beat the Dodgers, but to win the World Series. Uh so, well, I'm sure Max Muntsey has those receipts too. We could go through it together. Thanks for the phone call, Sergio Viva Las Vegas eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Let's come closer to home see me, Valley Mark, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 15: Hi Mark, Hey David, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, I know you are.
Speaker 15: We've made We've plugged many times over the years, and this series is just very very special to me because I grew up in the Jersey for my first thirty years, and I remember eighty six and taking shaving cream of my parents who are deceased, and shaving putting shaving cream on a mister Metdal. I remember coming out of surgery. Yeah, it's crazy. I remember coming out of surgery when when Walker through Game one sixty three, and the first thing I said at a surgery that could have caused my life was did the Dodgers win? So this series, I have a med hat, a Dodger hat. Obviously being here for twenty years, I'm rooting for the Dodgers. But when Mookie hit that run, you know, I clapped. I clapped and cheered for the Dodgers. It's it's it's just an amazing series for me, lifelong dream of mind to see this, and I hope it goes. I hope it goes a long time, you know. But the Dodgers are looking really really good, David.
Speaker 2: They are. I feel like the Dodgers are the team playing their best baseball at the right time. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number, and I can relate to that to a certain extent. Obviously, I grew up in the San Fernando Valley Woodland Hills. Did not have many opportunities when I was growing up to get to Dodger games. My uh my uncle Sal used to have company tickets and used to hook me up once in a while and would be able to go to a handful of games. But you know, when the Dodgers and Mets last played in the NLCS nineteen eighty eight, uh, it just seemed like Dodgers Stadium was so far away, even though I was in Woodland Hills, it just seemed unreachable to be able to even consider getting a ticket to come to one of those games. And even Game seven of the NLCS, there was no chance my mom could afford even buying a ticket to that game, let alone even think about taking me. So watching those games on TV after school and then when they were home games obviously on the weekends, it just it just seems so unreachable. And to be here doing this show during this series with this team, it's it's a pinch me moment growing up here in La Dodgers Mets NLCS. The last time they faced off against each other, Mike Sooshia hit one of the biggest home runs and Dodger postseason history off of Dwight Gooden to give the Dodgers life in Game four. Kirk Gibson hit a home run in the twelfth inning of that game, Soshia's tied it. Dwight Gooden was about to put the Dodgers down three games to one, and then they had to turn around hours later after that early morning win in New York and play Game five, and they forced a seventh game, and Oral, herscheiser, as he did all season long that year, carried the Dodgers to the Promised Land. I can still see Oral taking a knee after he struck out Howard Johnson in Game seven of the NLCS to send the Dodgers to the World Series. Still have the newspaper, the old Herald Examiner still have it. So really this is special, but completely different scenario. I mean, those were the Mighty Mets. What they want one hundred and seven, one hundred and eight games that year. Nobody gave the Dodgers a chance that year to beat them. This year, the Dodgers, like I said, you have to take inventory of what you have as a fan and realize that the Dodgers are really good and the Dodgers are the team nobody wants to play right now, including those Mets. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's take Evan in LA. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Evan, Say, what's up?
Speaker 15: This is Evan from LA in a minute.
Speaker 10: Always appreciate what DLA in a minute?
Speaker 2: Right there, Evan? Are you kidding me? I just watched your v with Oral Herscheiser. You're a legend.
Speaker 25: Thank you, Thank you, Bro, You're a legend. You're doing a great job. But this all about the Dodgers, top to bottom. Everybody's contributing, Freedman, Roberts. Honestly, some of them align, some criticism, but this team's coming together in the right time. You're saying everything right. But this call is about the fans.
Speaker 18: This is the energy.
Speaker 2: Get to your point. Can you say, let's get into it.
Speaker 25: Lat's get into it all right, Jo, So listen. I gotta give props to the fans.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 25: These callers today have been on point, every one of them.
Speaker 12: The stadium.
Speaker 25: I was there for Game five. I wasn't there today. I've never felt energy like that. I've been to World Series games twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen. The city is focused, the city is excited. I got text threads that were that are popping off that I haven't heard from people in years. Everybody is vested. In this Dodgers and like you said, it always seems like we run into the team that gets We are the team that's right at the hot, that are hot at the right time, and this is the Dodgers year. I love your confidence what you're saying that we are better than the Mets, and you know what, we're better than the Guardians and the Yankees. But one other thing too, Again, fans are making it happen. That energy is real throughout the city. But two other things, Jack Flowerdy, they always talk about high school, Studio City, Harvard, Westlake. Gotta get props to Sherman Oaks Little League, which is where it all started for him. Little league baseball is still the core of youth baseball and he is such an example and it's so great to see him growing up Dodger fan doing what he's doing for the Dodgers. And one other very important point I know Dave Roberts said this in his postgame interview today, Prayers go out to Fernando vealnzuela man that I grew up with, Fernando Fernando Mania. You know this run, I feel that it's partially for him, it's for the fans. It's for the city. It's for the players. I love the energy that's coming out. But let's do this for Fernando. Whatever's going on. I know they're trying to keep it discreet, but it's really important. He did so much for this organization, for this city, for this fan base, and you know he's here.
Speaker 2: Hey, we hear you here.
Speaker 10: We got to hear him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fernando is the man. He's the wind beneath the Dodgers wings right now spiritually, and he I'm sure he's watching wherever he is getting right. So Fernando, we're thinking about you. And thanks Evin, and uh La in a Minute is one of the best follows on Instagram. Thanks even cool having you call.
Speaker 10: In bye buddy bye by say there he.
Speaker 2: Goes Evan La in a Minute. How about that. That's a nice surprise right there. All right, that's a good way to end the show tomorrow. Like I said, Game two of the NLCS Sean Manaia on the mound for the Mets. He's been very good lately. In two postseason starts this October, he has pitched to combine twelve innings, allowed just three earned runs, and has ten strikeouts. Dodgers are going with a bullpen game, looking to repeat the magic from Game four of the NLDS. Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at noon tomorrow with first pitch at one oh five with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. That'll do it for us tonight from Dodgers Stadium, thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you could hear our full conversation with Blake Trinin on pitching and also how he balanced the being there for the birth of his daughter and then being back in time to close Game five of the NLDS. And you'll be on the mound at some point tomorrow afternoon as well. Once again the final score from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers shut out the Mets nine to nothing in the NLCS behind a great pitch game from the great one to eight zone. Jack Flaherty, We'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a great rest of your Sunday. See you