Speaker 1: Welcome to kat r h garden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's trim just watch him as well.
Speaker 3: That was so many good things to sup Bazy.
Speaker 2: Not sorry soon of.
Speaker 3: Welcome to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Rictor. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and more fun in the process. That is well, it's all about you know. There was a time, there was a day in time for eons where we had to scrape along and try to find a very growing on a bush somewhere out in the woods to survive down and kill prey, to bring things back to the cave and keep going. And then the agricultural birth where we begin to learn how to domesticate and provide food for ourselves. And in those times there was always a threat of famine, a threat of pestilence and disease and things. I was just reading a book. In fact, I am reading a book that is called Chemical Age, and basically it is about just throughout history, the advent of the arrival of chemicals and what things were like before them and so on. It's not a pro or anti organic or anything like that. It just is what it is. Okay, And it goes back into things like the Irish potato femine and a little disease called phytopthera, a little disease organism wipes out the potato crop in Ireland and other places, but totally dependent society, totally dependent on that one very important staple and suddenly gone and we can't we don't know what did it, We don't know how to stop it or anything like that. And we're talking about not not only or just millions of people. We've got death. We've got people. A huge part of the arrival of so many folks from Ireland in America was driven by things like that as well, anyway, And so we're looking at like death on a major scale, and then we discover a way to control by topter and this suddenly then we're not at the vicissitudes of nature where that disease organism comes in and wipes everything out. We looked. Book. Book goes into a lot of different things like that. Very interesting, very interesting book. And it isn't to say that you know, now it's all better living through chemistry and all this is hunky dory, because it goes on to look at the problems that occur with the arrival of the chemical age and stuff. Anyway, very interesting book. But why did I wander all the way over there? I don't know. It's early in the moment morning. My brain is doing what it does. But the real reason is I just was going to say, now, we grow things because we want to eat fresh stuff from our house. We want to know what was sprayed on our food. We want to enjoy getting out in the garden and having the pleasure of growing that tomato ourself holding it up. And it's like I did this. I agree with this, and there's a pleasure and fun in that. But if your garden fails, you're not going to starve to death. And that is a nice development historically that we have such a food supply that is so integrated throughout the world that some of those things at least have gone down considerably in terms of the risk. But I find it very interesting. So there we go. That's a lot of philosophical for first thing on an early early Sunday morning. But glad you're here with us. If you if you got a gardening question, or you'd like to visit about something gardening seven one three two one two k T r H seven one three two one two k t r H five. We have a some one of these days I want to sit down and just talk about So maybe I should scatter this through so it's not all it wants, but talk about interesting books that I've read recently and what I found fascinating about him. And boy, have there ever been some really interesting books. Now I'm a nerd science nerd and whatnot, and certainly a gardening nerd in horticulture, but there's some really cool books out there that just give you a whole new perspective, very very interesting. All right, Well, let's uh, let's get to talking about some gardening. Uh. And now that the rain, at least where I am right now, seems to have let off a little bit, and I'm hoping that we hold that for a little bit. Uh, it's time to you know, get out there and get that lawn mode. My my lawn is I pretty much could call someone to come in and bail it, and I could have a hay hay farm out of my yard. It's grown so big, but I'll catch up with it. So what do you do when the long gets too big? Well, first of all, I'm always saying don't bag it. Return the clippings. They're free food for your turf, and they are, but when it gets this big, it's just too much. Now, if your lawn has just gotten a little too big, you can do a couple of things. You can do a double mowing on it, where you set them over high, you mo over the lawn, and then you drop it down, set it lower, and you mo over the lawn again, each time mulching the clippings. But it just helps break them up into a little bit smaller particles to fall down in there. Mine's at a point now where there's no way around it. I'm gonna have dried clippings laying on top of the grass, so I'm going to bag them. And they are going into flower beds, they are going into compost piles, they are going into walkways and my garden, my walkways are all very thick with leaves that have been dropped there since last leaf season. I just continue to pole leaves up in the walkways and walk on them, and they dry and it's wonderful stuff. Fact, if I were to dig down past the dry surface leaves right now, you would see a lot of nice chocolately crumbly decomposing away leaves, and I'll harvest those walkways and put those in my garden beds. And it's a way of composting without work, almost without work. You're not mixing layers and turning and all that kind of stuff, sticking at thermometer in it. You're just letting them call composts there in the walkway. I have a little screen that I put on top of my wheelbarrow. It is a hardware cloth half inch hardware cloth screen, and it is on a two by four frame, So the two by four sit across the top of the wheelbarrow. The frame is about the size of the wheelbarrow. And when I'm shoveling out of walkway, I just put it in the screen, shake it a little bit. All the fine stuff falls down through the screen. So if i need to amend some potting soil, I've got a little material for if I want to mix compost them to a bed, I can do that and then the undecomposed stuff goes right back in the walkways. I used to do that with wood chips, you know. The power line companies and stuff come through and they shred up wo and sometimes they'll dump them in your driveway if you want, and those make a pretty good walkway, and then after a few years you can go in there and harvest that and get some really good fungal compost out of that. So anyway, there's a few things that we do, but for your turf, go ahead and get that mode down. But remember that as often as you mow mo as often as you can, because the more often you mow, the smaller you chop things up. The smaller you chop them up, the faster they decompose, and the less visible they are. Clippings are not the reason we have thatch. The reason we have thatch is overwatering and overfertilizing and creating a lot of runner growth. Runners are very slow to decomposed compared to clippings, and so you've got these little runners like a little snakes, crawling all over each each other in your lawn and you walk on it and it's all spongy. That's that uh. And so excessive mowing, excusing the excessive fertilization, excessive watering both can contribute to that, especially in some grasses like Sosia being especially bad about that and Bermuda grass all right, well, there you go, a few thoughts on mowing. We're gonna take a little quick break here for for some information and we'll be back seven one three two one two ktr H. Welcome back to Guarden Line. By the way, Happy Father's Day all the dad's out there. That's kind of cool stuff, you know, the the we're celebrating in a split weekend. I've got some of my kiddos are coming in this weekend of today and uh then they are going to be out of town next week. We're going do it again next week with the other half. So I get I think kind of a double deal. That's kind of a good A good deal me a lot of barbecue and involved in all that. We're glad you're listening to the Garden Line. If you'd like to give me a call some one one three two one two kt r H seven one three two on two kt r h H. Houston Powder Coders is the biggest powder coder in our regions. It covers over six acres, seventy five plus employees. Uh this this is a big time deal. In fact, I'm gonna have the the folks from Houston Powder Coats on the air here with me. In a few weeks we're gonna talk about this whole process and things. Most people aren't familiar with it. It's not like painting. I mean, you would do it instead of painting, but it's better than painting. Powder coating puts a very nice, dense, very hard surface of coating protection color onto metal. So when you go to a restaurant, you go to those outdoor maybe you go to a park and you see those little those benches and things and the trash cans that are out there, and they're you know, they may be painted brown or black or whatever color, or I say painted coated. That's a powder coating type of surface. It's just not a paint. If you've got old furniture it's looking bad, you need to call Houston Powder Coders or email them. You can email them a picture of what you got to get a free quote. The email is sales at Houstoncoders dot com. Sales at Houstoncoders dot com. The website is Houston Powder Coders dot com. Go look at the work that they do. But it is amazing. I mean they do. You know, maybe your furniture's rusty, maybe the bolts are just about falling out. And maybe it needs new straps, new vinyl sling fabric or little caps with the tubular metal kinds of furniture. But if it's looking bad, you need to go see what they can do online at Houston powder Cooders dot com. They can turn it brand new. I mean, you look at it when they get through doing something. It's like you think, somebody just spot it. It is just brand new. And with over one hundred colors, what do you want it to look like? I mean I saw, of course they have all the primary colors and other things, but lots of nice, subtle, real beautiful, earthy colors as well. I saw some furniture sitting across the in the warehouse there when I went by, and I looked at it, and I go, is that the next project you're working on? And it was way over there and it looked all rusty and stuff. There's no we're done with that one. I walked over and looked at it and it was the color of rust but it was beautifully coated. And you know, if you have something that you want to look kind of rustic, they can do that with the coating. But now it's protected. Now it's no longer resting, cast iron, wrought iron, aluminum patio furniture, don't matter what it is. Give them a call or go with the website Houston Powdercoders dot com two eight one six seven, six thirty eight eighty eight. Really really cool stuff. I jokingly have said, well it's jokingly but serious. It almost I almost want to go down the road and find people are throwing away their furniture out at the street and grab it and go get it coated because it is. I'm telling you it. I don't care what it looks like. They're going to make it look new. It's amazing what they can do. Really cool stuff. The folks out Affordable Tree are all about taking care of your trees. So your trees are more resilient, so they're stronger, so they're healthier. And if you have a tree, maybe you bought a tree recently put it in the ground. I want to say recently, I mean you know, last month, all the way to five years ago. It's very important early in the life of that tree to train it right. And you know, it's one of those principles of life. You let something go wrong long enough and you've got a bigger problem than if you dealt with it sooner. It's true with trees they grow narrow branch angles that in the future will split. They are weak, poorly connected branches because they weren't trained right early. That's very important to get that done right. And then as trees get older there's issues that can arise.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 3: Affordable Tree is Martin Spoonmore's company. You've been hearing about Martin spoon Moore's Affordable Tree for decades now on guard Line. They come out and they can take a look at your trees and do the pruning that's necessary to make them as wind resist resilient as possible, as the as the breeze blows, as we strengthen the tree as we build it. But just remember this, the sooner you start in the life of a tree, the more control you have to make a nice, strong structure. Okay, if you wait until a tree is sixty years old and you go in there and say, okay, fix it, well, I mean there's things they can do, but seriously, it's better to start earlier. Now you can give them a call seven to one three six' nine nine two six sixty three family owned. Company family will be entering the phone seven to one three six' ninety nine two six, six three whether you need pruning or, deep feeding whether you need a, stump ground anything related, to, trees, training planting all that they can.
Speaker 5: Do.
Speaker 3: It now if you are going to do anything around the valuable trees, your home. Listen to the tree is the most valuable single plant in. Your landscape incredibly valuable when it comes to the value of, your home when it comes to cutting down on air, conditioning bills if it's located in the, right spot and just when it comes, to enjoyment sitting out in the patio in the shade instead of. The sun we had it when we lived Up. In cyprus we had a house that had absolutely no tree in, the backyard and you went out on the west side of the house do on top of it all we had little patio we never could USE because i mean it was. Just brutal we might as well stuck our head in an oven trying to go out there on. That patio but you get you a, nice tree planet it and get good shade like that and have it taken care. Of, properly boy that's that. Is valuable so don't mess with. Your trees don't, Decide oh i'm going to run a line. Through there i'm gonna dig a trench and go right beside. That tree when you dig a trench right beside, a tree you essentially are cutting off half its. Root system so look down on top bird's, eye view look down on. The tree roots are going out in. All directions. Take you, you know think of. A pie take a pie and slice through the pie just to the right or left. Of center what you've done is you've removed everything from the trunk of, that tree often that, left right. Whatever direction don't. Do That Call Martin spoon, Moore's Company. Affordable tree talk, to, them, Say look i'm gonna do. SOME construction i need you to come out and do some pre. Construction care and. They can they can, advise you they can. Direct you there's a lot of things that can be done to minimize. THAT damage I know i'm drowning on, about this but it breaks my heart and it breaks the owner of the tree's. Heart too to have a tree grow for a, long time it be a beautiful tree and then suddenly you're. Losing it it blows over in a storm because all the roots have been too many roots have been cut off you have issues with broken branches. And things have somebody take care of this most valuable. Plant landscape and if you're planting, your trees and if you're training, your trees find out how to do it before you, do it so you do, it right very very very. Very important, All RIGHT have i beaten that horse? TO death I guess i. PROBABLY have i was visiting with Folks At southwest fertilizer a, while BACK and i always go, in there and it's kind of my continuing. EDUCATION project i always try to continue. To learn and because, things change we get, new products we get, new developments research comes up with new information that we didn't, know before and so you got to stay on top. Of things it's kind of like being a tree cutter out in. The forest, you know if you don't stop and sharpen the saw every now and then your things are not going to. Go good AND so i got to sharpen, my saw meaning learn. About things AND when i Go, Into southwest I'll look i'm just walk them down the Aiss and i'll look at. The products, what's new what do? They have and unfortunately sometimes it's like oh that company changed the, name again or the same name of a product has three different ingredients in it depending on the formulation. You buy that drives. Me nuts, But anyway i'll go in there because they always have the. Latest things bob's always got, whatever's new, Whatever's latest he's going to have. It there AND so i mean THIS when i, Say this i'm never going to recommend, a product at least to, MY knowledge i can't imagine ever recommending a product that they don't Have It southwest fertilizer just because they. Have it and it's NOT because i call them, and, say hey do you? Have this do you? Have this do you? Have this it's because they have everything that you. Would need if they don't, have it you don't. Need it THAT'S all i like to.
Speaker 6: Put.
Speaker 3: It Now father's day is, To, DAY okay i as a gardener love. GETTING tools, i do and there's quality tools There At. Southwest fertilizer you. Can go you hear me talk about the. Kneeling, bench well a kneeling bench is a. Great gift maybe a quality set, of printers the kind that are going to last you a lifetime if you take care. Of them they've got. Those here why not stop by and Grab A father's day gift. FROM there i mean it's it's a really. Nice thing you get a, quality TOOL and i, don't know it just makes it makes all your outdoor work a lot. More fun one of my favorite tools is the. Soil knife sometimes it's Called the hoary. Hoary knife it's A h O r i h O. R i It's a japanese soil knife sometimes another name. For it those. Are great they come with a little scabbard SOMETIMES and i use mine all the TIME when i go out to do. GARDEN work i just strap it on Because maybe i'm digging in the Ground and i'm trying to make a hole for SOMETHING and i. RUN across i did it just the. OTHER day i was Planting some confederate jasmine star JASMINE and i was trying to dig the hole and there's these tree roots and size of my little fingers going through. The, hole well that sol knife just cuts right. Through THEM and i didn't even have to get up off, the ground just, right there got, it done got. It planted it's a great. Tool too but again it's going To Be southwest fertilizer Corner of Bissinett, and renwick so you ought to check. Them out very very good place for getting anything that. You, need also if you need to get. Something diagnosed, you know maybe it's like you got a weed and It's not saturday and you can't call garden line or email me. Or whatever just pull it, up stick get in the bag and Go Into. Southwest fertilizer they're gonna look at it and they're going to tell you what to use to get control. Of it and so maybe it's something you, need identified, that is does you know bug or disease. Or something just go in and talk. To them they're really good at what. They do we're going to take a little break here in just. A bit i do want to remind you that if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two K t rh or for those of you who like THE numbers k seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two fifty eight. Seventy four let's talk about the things that are of interest. TO you i got a FEW things i want to visit about today on This lovely, sunday Morning This father's. Day, Morning Again Happy father's day to all the dad's. Out there if you got a. Little minute you want to check my new, website OUT or i, say new it's anything less than a couple of. Years old it's new Gardening with skip. Dot com Gardening with skip. Dot com go check. It, Out well, good. Morning Gardeners Happy, father's. Day dads glad to have you with. Us today we are going to run out to the phones now and Go, To. SILSBY texas i believe we can Go to, silsby right we're going to Talk. To, Cookie, Hello cookie Welcome. To regardline.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 7: How do you get rid?
Speaker 8: Of torpedograss it's coming from. My neighbors i've never had. It before i'm like sixty two.
Speaker 6: Years, old Yeah.
Speaker 8: And i've never had.
Speaker 6: It before and all of a.
Speaker 8: Sudden since i've Moved and, i've planned, you know a new home and grass in. My yarn my grass, is good but this, torpedo grass it's coming from my neighbors and it's coming into.
Speaker 3: My yard i'm telling you it's, a mess. ISN'T it i think the best way is to call you realtor and get a, new house go. Somewhere, else seriously there are ways to, kill it but it's a very. Vigorous grass it's like for those folks listening that don't. Have it it's like bermuda grass. On steroids, you know something that comes up way above your normal lawn height and everything, like that and you can take that height of torpedo grass and turn it to. Your advantage you can wipe onto the torpedo. Grass herbicides it will translocate down and. Kill, it now on, My website Gardening, WITH skip i have a little sheet on there that shows you how to build a. Weed wiper it's. Really easy anybody can. Do this it's isn't like you got to be. Mechanically INCLINED and i. Have one it's made out of a. Grabber tool you just have to go onto the website to. See it and it has sponges, on IT and i will just take a little whatever, you have squirt some of the herbicide on, the sponge and then you reach down in the grab. Or tool you don't have to. Stoop over you just squeeze it on the torpedo grass and kind of gently pull up and wipe it onto those torpedo grass shoots and it goes down in there and it. Kills, them now you're not gonna do it once and. Kill everything but every time it sticks its, head up if, you don't, you know let. It expand it's like sprand round up on, bermuda grass it'll kill it right and and but we just have to use the wiper so we don't kill desirable grasses that are around the.
Speaker 8: Torpedo, Grass, okay, so uh let me MAKE sure i understand. Your right so you have something on your website that tells me what to make put on this sponge to.
Speaker 3: Wipe, it, well yes it's a on my website Gardening with skip. Dot com you'll see something Called skips skips. Weed. Wiper okay and so what you do is you you buy a grabber tool a, certain kind and you attach sponges to where there used to be, suction cups and then those sponges you just squirt a little of the herbicide you're going to use to. Kill torpezo it could it could, be glypysate which is. Round up it could be there's a couple of grass only killers that you can use. On there but then you just reach down and wipe. IT on i use the wiper to control like poison ivy with you're using a different ingredient than you would for. Torpedo GRASS but i use it to control poison IVY because i can get in there and wipe it on the leaves without getting. It on maybe it's growing underneath the rose bush, or something and you're not going to cool your rose bush, That way so that that works. Pretty, Good yeah NOW well i should ask, you first what what kind of grass? Do you what's your? Lawn grass my Grass Is. Saint Augustine, Saint, augxtine okay, all? Right.
Speaker 8: Good yeah Also because i'm on my yard once, a week so it's hard, to see but, YOU know i can tell WORK and i can. See it don't keep up, their yard and you know it's it's pretty tall and ass so over my neighbors it's really sticking out and it's right next.
Speaker 9: To.
Speaker 3: Me, Yeah yeah well you might need to let the lawn grow a, little bit uh so that you can have some torpedo coming up Above Your. Saint augustine do you Know what? I'm, saying yeah so because you want to, you know the whole idea of the weed wiper is to wipe it on the weed and not the, desirable plant whether That's your saint augustine lawn or a rose bush or a tomato plant or whatever you're you're doing it. That WAY so i think that's probably one of your. Best bets.
Speaker 8: So but, this grass this grass has roots that go. Between that it's just not that one grass that connect and they connect and they connect and they connect to my.
Speaker 6: Neighbor's. YARD correct.
Speaker 8: I mean it's like, a, UH well i can't think OF what i need to say. Right now but it's not just. One weed they all they. Connect together so you're not just hopefully you're not just. Killing one it's going through.
Speaker 6: The roots well to.
Speaker 3: Some, degree now now if you if you kill a torpedo grass shoot in, your lawn it's not going to go down the line and there'll be a line of dead grass all the way across to your neighbor's side of. The fence but it'll kill a little bit back. From, there yeah, but yeah they are they were. ORIGINALLY connected i understand, your, Question right, BUT yeah i.
Speaker 10: Would like it.
Speaker 3: Like a, tubular yes but, but yes but only for a little bit of a distance is that going to? Be effective so just just stay. With it also on my website is a thing about herbicides that you use on the weed wiper and on, that list you want to print that one out because depending on what's in, your lawn you choose a. Different product, so like if you have, wild onion there's a product called image that's on. That sheet if you are trying to kill, YOU know i, don't know woody weeds like poison ivy or hackberry coming up in the fence line, or things there's a product. For that and if you're trying to kill, just grasses there's products. For that so when you get those two, things downloaded you can you can win. This battle you just have to stay, with.
Speaker 8: It, right well, You know I'm just i'm trying to win, the Battle but i'm, you know trying to slowly go over to my navy's going a, little bit, you.
Speaker 6: Know and put a little bit.
Speaker 8: On there i'm in, my way.
Speaker 10: YOU know i, appreciate that, but, WELL yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't i. Don't either but one other thing you theoretically could do is to just create a no man's land kind of dead strip between the, two yards so that anything that comes in that strip gets. Gets sprayed and so if you're goes that way or their long comes, this way it shuts, it down and that that is one way to prevent or to hold back. The invasion some people will go in and put a little vertical wall in, the soil like you could take a piece of metal flashing or it's better because out'll. Rust. Eventually uh maybe a really thick uh kind of a. Plastic material i'm not talking about just thin. SHEET plastic i mean something really thick, that lasts and you put it in the ground and then when the grass is trying to come through, there underneath it. Blocks them but that's that is time and expense and.
Speaker 7: Not.
Speaker 8: Effective, right well thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Your time, Thank you, thank.
Speaker 3: You, you too appreciate. That cookie you take care. Out there uh you are listening. To guardline we're going to take a little break here in just. A, MOMENT again i just want to say that if you if you have not Tried a microlife, PRODUCT lately i would highly recommend that you try something new that you haven't. Tried, before Now The green bag, sixty four that's the. Common one we use that, for everything, you know lawns. And whatnot but how about. THEIR liquids I. Love biomatrix that's the. Orange label it's a seven to one to three comes in gallons. And quartz you mix it up and you're not going to burn plants. WITH it i use it on my houseplants because they're primarily foliage plants and that higher nitrogen level is exactly what. They need you can use it outside me ex sprayed on your yard if you. Wanted to biomatrix is a very high quality product and to go with it is the Blue Label. Ocean Harvest ocean harvest is a fish based for two three four to two three ratio for. Aer fertilizer now, with that you want to use it outside because there is an odor to fish, Based products so don't spray your houseplants with it unless you have house cats and you want them to dig all the dirty out of. Your houseplants, But Seriously biomatrix orange labels seven to One Three Ocean harvest blue label four to. Two three they both work high quality products of the mini Products. From microlife take a, Little break i'll be. Right, back hey welcome Back. To guardline good to have you. With us if you would like to give me. A call seven one three two one TWO ktr h seven one three two ONE TWO ktrh i was Visiting With dan Snyder from nitrofoss yesterday and we were just, talking about, you Know The flag day yesterday for those of you who somehow might have, missed that and we're just talking about the just the respect for, the flag the emblem of. Our country, You Know flag day began, a long long. Time ago it actually happened in a couple. Of Phases The, WOODROW wilson. I Said, WOODROW wilson i believe was one of the ones who initially made a Proclamation that june fourteenth Will Be, flag day but then it was really codified in the LAW by I Believe harry truman when he. Was president, but anyway Talking to dan about just through appreciation for, our military for the fact that we have folks that have put their life on the line for the whole time of this country really and just the fact that someone is willing to go out there and to stand in, the gap to be, out there to be a defender of the freedoms that. We enjoy and, basically, said hey but let's why don't you talk about night frost? PRODUCTS tomorrow i don't you just talk? About THAT and i think that's a. Great IDEA and i. Appreciate, THAT dan i certainly hold that sentiment. As well the fact that we do enjoy so. Many things you know how it is we take things for granted when we're so familiar, with them we don't even really think about the cost, of them and the fact that there continue to be people who. Do that and in addition to the people that do that the, soldiers themselves we're looking at the families that do that and the cost that has come to families for our servicemen and women who over the years have made the ultimate sacrifice. For us so thank you to everyone, out there not only those who are serving who have served in the, armed forces but to those as well who are families of those and been part of the sacrifice of not only, their time but in some cases their lives. As well we're going to take a little trip Out to. Katie now we're gonna go Out to katy here and Visit. With, Hank, Hello hank Welcome To. Garden line you're.
Speaker 11: More INSURANCE what i DID is i needed to get some, grass down AND so i bought it and Got, it monday but got a lot of it Down, on tuesday but it rained for two days and got the rest of it Down, on friday and the problem is there's some bad spots in the CENTER and i need maybe hassel grow or whatever you think help bring.
Speaker 3: It back Is It, Saint, Augustine hank It's. Parmetto, St, augustine, Yes, Sir okay you're just gonna have to kind of be patient. With it depending on the degree to which it was set back or in some parts of the grass, plants killed it's going to close. Back in it will fill, Back in so the thing to do in, the meantime, of course we've been getting a lot of, rain lately but once a week of good soaking as we go forward, into summer you don't have to water it every. Other day. I'm sorry tell me again when you planted the most Recent Grass? Friday. Friday OKAY what i generally recommend is just as a very, general guide twice, a day very lightly the, first week once a day the, second week and then going toward a twice a week and then once a. Week schedule after that grass has been in for, two weeks if it is not lacked, for water it should be getting a good root. System down you can start backing off of that we've gotten so much rain that, you know we haven't had to water like, you normally but get it to continue to get it established, with water and then once it's been in about, a month then begin to very lightly fertilize it in some small doses or use a slow, release product you know like, the nitrofoss The Super turf solver bag and in that way it's going to get a small amount of fertilizer all the way up into fall. Early fall What about madina anything like that to. Help, activate, Yes yes medina has a two PRODUCTS that i think you would would. Find helpful one is called Has To. Grow lawn Has To. Grow lawn it is a twelve four to eight hooks up to a, garden hose and so you can go over the. Whole lawn but it also being a hooked up to a, garden hose you can kind of give a little extra boost to some areas that might. Need it, you know as, you're watered you're you're kind of squirting those areas just a little, bit more and so that. Works well medina also has One called superturf that is a sixteen. ZERO two i believe the third numbers too it's, mostly nitrogen and the same thing hooks to a garden hose and you can give it a. LITTLE boost i would just go easy on, the fertilizing, YOU know i was talking about with, the granulars the slow. Release granulars you're going to wait until a month after you. Planted these you could do a, little sooner but go easy on them because, right now what the grass leads one or. The other don't. Do both and what the grass needs now is not to be pushed with a lot. Of nitrogen it needs to settle in and get a root. System going and that's why we hold off on fertilizing.
Speaker 12: Right away one, other question if you get one of these adjustable, house pers do you have any idea what adjust them and?
Speaker 3: All, them no it'll tell you it has information on the package when you. Do that but THE reason i like you were talking About the medina products and. They're excellent the has to grow for lawns twelve four eight and the Super growl plus is. A sixteen it's it. The bottle it. Comes in you hook to a, garden hose so you don't have to know how to. Set anything it's already set to do the.
Speaker 12: Right thing oh so you cannot well you know they won't hook up, that gallon.
Speaker 3: Will, It no but you don't you don't. NEED that i mean you just you just take the it's a, court bottle and you hook it up to a hose and you just go right to town and get the. Job, done, okay okay but, just, remember yeah remember it's not a lack. OF nitrate i know you want to get that grass covered in, real quick but first let's get the roots and then begin to gradually feed it and and you it'll cover in with with good. Adequate watering just don't let it. Dry out that's that's, important thing, All, right hang good luck with, that, grass, yes, Sir, alrighty yeah there's, you know there's a lot of forms of nutrients. OUT there, i mean we we've got, dry granulars we've got the, immediate release we've got the, slow release and then we got the liquids that we can. Put on and nutrient. Is nutrient when, you know when that, plant root when that grassroot is in, the soil IT says i need. Some nitrate, YOU know i need. Some nitrate and so it doesn't care whether it came from a slow, release granule a fast, release granule a. Liquid product it just needs. That compound it just needs, that molecule if, you will and to bring it in and to feed. The grass and so the advantages of granules is they tend to be a little less expensive per pound. Of, nutrient okay the advantages of the liquids is you get a little, faster results and you can tailor the direction of it a little. Bit BETTER and i just described that Talking. To tank you know you can you can spray over there are a little more where you need a little bit more, that maybe uh and or if you're just going out in the yard and you got one area you're trying to kick, into gear you can just go out there or spray that one area with the liquid on the hose end and give a boost. To that hopefully that makes a little bit. Of, sense well our first hours in. THE books i went fast. This morning kind of quiet, out there any? Mighty awake you'd like to give me? A call seven one three two one two k T r h seven one THREE two u two k T. R h Hop your, father's. Day, everybuddy hey go check out. MY website i keep referring to IT and i keep talking to people that never check that out gardeningwi skip. Dot com all These things i'm pointing to. Are there put them up there to help you have success in, your garden in. Your, landscape well, good, Morning gardeners, good morning and welcome To. Garden line we are glad to have you. With us i'm, Your Host, skip richer and we're here to answer your. Gardening questions we want to help you have success in. Your, GARDEN well i like to put, it is we want you to have a bountiful and a beautiful garden, and landscape and we want you to have fun while you're. Doing it let's take the frustration out of gardening and replace it. With fun gardening is an enjoyable activity and it. Can be all it involves is a. Couple things first, of all understanding how to think like. A plant what does a? Plant want and if you give a plant what, it wants it's going to. Be happy things like sunlight. Or shade some plants don't want. Full sun things like adequate, soil moisture things like proper sol pH and nutrient levels in. The soil those are all examples of things that plants want to have success and we can help them. With that when we run into problems like some chomping pest crawling around spoiling, the show we can. Fix it when we're dealing with things like diseases or weeds, or whatever there's ways to. Manage all, you know almost everything starts from a. Cultural standpoint so if you've Listened to guardline, very long you know that, for me it's not just there's, a weed here's how to. Kill it it's let's back up a. Little bit if you have lawns that are constantly plagued, with weeds we need to fix the lawn and then deal with the weeds that don't go away because we fix. The lawn so HERE'S what. I mean, wherever nature, excuse me wherever sunlight hits, the soil nature plants. A weed so your lawn, gets thin your lawn becomes weedy because there's sunlight hitting the soil for weeds to sprout. And grow you mow water. And fertilize THAT'S why i did, that schedule the lawn care. Schedule online you mow water, and, fertilize right and your lawn gets denser. And denser and as it, gets dense most weeds are not going to be a problem because those that germinate from seed can't get a good start in, a, good dense. Healthy lawn now you may have a few here, and there but not not like you do when the. Launch struggles so what about the weeds that are perennial that can live in. A, lawn yes we have those things like basket Grass and virginia, button weed and dollar weed is another. Good one maybe dove weed is. Another one but those are the dove weed and the basket grass are being caused by a lawn that's too. Thin primarily but the others even if you get a good dessil and you're gonna have the wheat and we can deal, with those. That's okay it's just we don't start with HOW do i? Kill it kind. Of spray that's true of insects and diseases. As well many times our insect and disease problems are caused by environment. Environmental factors if you get a, rose bush, let's say and you plant them too, close together, they're crowded there's poor, air circulation you overdo the, nitrogen fertilizer your sprinklers, come on and what the? Foliage instead of just wetting the soil Like, dripper again will those, three, things crowding over doing, the nitrogen and excessive wedding of the foliage create disease problems? On roses the first step is to culturally fix. Those things do, it right and then you're going to have some. Disease problems but then a little spray here and there can be done. If needed if you get the right kind, of roasion pretty much don't have to spray, at all but anyway you get the idea that's the approach to all these things, is culturally let's get things right and then we have much fewer problems that we have to deal with and maybe mix up a SPRAY for i was visiting with some of the Folks That pierce scapes the other day and they're doing some projects Out that i'm trying to get the weather to COOPERATE so i can go out and go to the site on one of, their projects just take some pictures. And things if you haven't seen, pierscapes work the easiest way to do it is to go Online to pierceescapes dot com piercescapes. Dot com look at what. They do it. Is unbelievable now you're going to see a lot of taj mahals in. THOSE pictures i mean they're really castles. Of HOMES but i don't care what you are living. In That pierce scapes can do things to make your outdoors gorgeous and a pleasure to. Be in maybe it's. Hard scapes maybe it's. Outdoor lighting maybe it's redesigning some beds so that they are, just beautiful or maybe it's taking care of your. Beds quarterly do you know they'll come out. Every quarter you can sign up with them to come out for. Quarterly maintenance do they replenish, The malts they take care of any weeds that are. In there they make sure the irrigation is. Working right they do any trimming that's necessary and as agreed upon. With you maybe they do some. Color changes, you know when the pansies are starting to freeze in, the fall its time to put. In petunias, excuse me. Vice versa when the petunias are starting, to freeze done put in panzies and, vice versa and other kinds. Of plant in, other words they make your beds look good all. The Time pierce scapes. Does that that's the that's their. Maintenance service so either way you want to go, about it give them a call to eight one three seven fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty and see what they can do. For you the main thing is go first to that pierscapes. Dot com take. A look it will. Be inspiring we're going to head Out to tascascita now and Visit with jim. This Morning, hello jim welcome To.
Speaker 1: Garden line, Good morning thank you so much for. Being here here's THE question. I have i'm working on a project On the this plant has a crepe myrtle tree, in it and then on the other side of, the fence the neighbor has a. Crape myrtle back to back to The one i'm. Working, On okay i've got roots growing from creape murle trees growing up in little trees popping up out of. The ground WHAT do? I, do.
Speaker 3: So basically you're seeing a root at the surface that's sending. Up shoots is that what? You're, describing absolutely, little leaves.
Speaker 1: Little trees they're all over.
Speaker 3: The, place well, you know it could be connected to your tree or your. Neighbor's tree I'm not i'm not sure which, it is but, if you if you will go down there and, you know figure out the root is coming from a tree and going away from, that tree cut the root off before the sprouts and excavate out the soil a. Little bit and then when you, cut it get some. Sucker stopper sucker stopper and sucker, stopper huh and you want to apply it to that. Cut surface and it is. A hormone it's a plant hormone that tells the plant now don't send. Up, shoots now this is not what you need to do because normally when, you prune it causes a plant to. Re sprout, you know just like you pron off, a branch the end of that branch is going to sprout several new shoots. Coming out sucker stopper helps. Prevent that and you can buy at a number of. Different places you are not super Close To. SOUTHWEST fertilizer I know bob has it There on Businet, and runwick but you may find it at A local ace, hardware store but just call and. Check first sure not running all over, the place but a sucker stopper or there's probably another brand that is the. Same equivalent that sucker stopper is the Only one i've, Ever gotten so it's the it's the name that comes.
Speaker 1: To mind, so basically just how DEEP do i have to go down with?
Speaker 3: The, ground oh, you know it's not a matter, of depth it's just a matter of being able to get it on. The surface like if you just took a shovel and cut, that root it'd be hard to get your little applicator down there to get to dab. THAT cut i have some coming around the base of a crape myrtle, sprouting UP and i just cut them away at the base where, they attach AND then i dad the sucker stopper on there and. We're done it works, pretty good, All right JIM oh i thank you.
Speaker 1: SO much i have a great day, you.
Speaker 3: Too sir, thank you appreciate. Your call, all right where are? We here time for. A break i'll be right back with. Your call seven one three two ONE. Two, ktrh hey, Welcome back welcome back to the. Guarden line good to have you. With us you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two K. T rh we're going to head out to the phones right now and go To c brook to Talk. To, Robert, hello robert welcome To. Garden, line hell thank.
Speaker 10: You sir how are?
Speaker 6: You today?
Speaker 3: Doing?
Speaker 6: Good, Great hey i've got.
Speaker 10: Some groundcover i'm really a novice as far as all, landscaping GOES but i have some groundcover that looks somewhat like. A cloverly it, grows up it's really. Well spread, it's good but we're having a hard time keeping the weeds out. OF it i have, My landscaper i've tried to talk to him, about it and they have to try to pull, it out but it's real hard to get to the bottom of the roof to pull. That out is there anything you can put on the weeds that will not kill the?
Speaker 3: Ground cover are the weeds grasses? Or not?
Speaker 5: It's?
Speaker 3: Grass, yes, yes. Yeah probably you said the groundcover looks like a like, a cloverleaf, sort of it.
Speaker 10: Kind of looks like a.
Speaker 3: Clover, leaf, yes okay there's. A product there are two products that are grass. Only killers and if you, go online hang on, one second get my sheet in front of. Me here if you go online to my website Gardening with skip, dot com you'll find on their herbicide products for. Right now it's called herbicide products for, skip'sweed wiper and it goes down by category, of weed each type. Of weed and if you go to just, the grasses there are two ingredients that, are there and then there's a number of brands that you. Can buy one of the ingredients STARTS, with seth the boy's NAME s E, t h and then there's more. After that the other one starts with FLU as F L U. A z but go to the go to, the website look, at it and, in fact you should print that out because if you have other kinds, of weeds it'll it'll tell you what to use. For them now that these are over. The top, in fact one, Of them fertilom's brand of one of those Is called fertilom Over the Top. Grass killer but that that there are many other brands and you just spray them and they kill. The grass they don't kill the, broad leaf and in, this case your clover like groundcover is a. Broad, Leaf.
Speaker 10: Awesome thank you. SO much i appreciate.
Speaker 3: Your help, all right you bet you take Care, of robert, all, right yeah. Bye bye that. Is true let's head now Up, To tomball texas and we're going to Talk. To, Steve, hey steve welcome. Regarden line, hey skip. Good.
Speaker 13: Morning hey when you sent, SOME pirs i want to see if you.
Speaker 3: Got, HIM yeah, i did go ahead and tell me. About it we.
Speaker 13: Bought a bunch of high biscuits at or, the nursery uh. Six plants they were all doing fantastic when they were in the pots and my wife. REPLANTED them a couple of them were Still, doing okay, they're blooming but that one particular Plant that i've, showed, you uh for the, last month we've they recommended sprinkling some seven dust, on them which, we did but that. One buds all of the flowers bud, like that but they. Don't bloom we thought that these squirrels were eating, them OFF but i don't think that's. THE case i wanted to see if you could tell anything or we might put.
Speaker 3: What was was the seven a dust or a spray that you? Put out it was it was. A, dust okay have you sprayed these? With anything we. Have, not okay there's some malformation on the way. It's growing it's kind. Of unusual trying to figure out what might be. CAUSING that I think hibiscus, likes warmth which we're finally. Getting, to now that is a fairly small container for. A hibiscus you can grow hibiscus in that, size container but it's a little on the, smaller side so it's a. Little easier it looks like you got a fairly chunky mix, in There unless i'm looking at mulch on, the surface and the soil level is a little low in. The container all of this adds up to it's easier for it to get stressed and maybe to abort a bloom or to have other issues. Like that so more, soil volume meaning a, bigger container meaning a more, full container will help. Avoid that that may be. A factor. Nutrient wise everything looks good on, your PLANTS so i would just have you tell me about your fertilizing. Of them come on And. Wife, nelson oh here. We go we're getting the experts. In here.
Speaker 4: It's The nelson's and the last ONE that i did was like the one that added acid to.
Speaker 3: The, Soil okay well that's why the plants look healthy in terms. Of, COLOR yeah i would just continue to do what. You're doing there are some little insects that can feed inside, the blooms like thrips and things that can cause problems. For plants that they're really a problem on roses a lot, of times but that may be playing a part. In, this overall they look, pretty HEALTHY just i. Don't know i'd give them some time if you've given Them the nelson fertilizer and you keep them, adequately moist watering as often as you need to to keep the. Soil moist they ought to perk out. Of this are they in lots? Of? Sun yes? Full, Sun, okay well sounds like you're doing. Everything right there's no symptom in the pictures other than a little bit of a malformation, of growth which sometimes viruses can. Do that there's no cure. For viruses sometimes it's. Insect feeding the insects inject a toxin and it causes the growth to. Be malformed instead of a normal, flat leaf it buckles like a, spinach leaf or it twists or something. Like THAT and i see a little bit of that. In THERE but i don't know what's in your power at. This point based on the Photos that. I'M seeing, i think if ever, IN mind i would just wait and see continue to make sure it gets. Adequate water so what you're telling me is the blooms hit the STAGE that i see they're all curled up and they haven't. Opened yet but they never. Open, correct yeah well let's partecular One doesn't that is. Very, interesting well.
Speaker 13: What do you suggest with a liquid? Seven?
Speaker 3: DUST yeah i wouldn't do the seven again. On them it's it is not a problem that seven. Will cure but if you wanted to do a systemic insecticide in, the pot you drench it in the pot and the roots take, it up that might work. Pretty good there are some systemic insecticides you are, up there, you know in, that region you can, you know plants for all seasons, for example is going to have some things, like that and just tell them you need something to go up in the hibiscus plant itself and you drench it in the soil and then they're going to move up in the plumbing of the plant and so things that are sucking juices out of the plant get. The poison so it's not something you're putting on the leaves or on. The blooms you're putting it in. The roots and why don't you? Try that that would be the ONE thing i think if we're dealing with some sort of piercing sucking insect that's causing these problems and causing the. BLOOMS problems i think that would be your.
Speaker 13: Best, bet okay, all right one, Other, question yeah.
Speaker 3: Go ahead you were.
Speaker 13: Talking To The texas gordon, guy yesterday, the editor and he was talking about his grandson posting a picture of some ornaments on tomatoes to keep the birds from. Pecking, them yes do you hear any feedback? ON that i remember you said you weren't sure.
Speaker 3: That, Worked well, i'm Not and i'm not trying to cash shade. ON it i just, You know i've heard for years people doing that with, red Ornaments but i've never, seen like here's a trial we did and we put these out and it, worked here and it was replicated in some way where you can kind of just make sure it wasn't just that the birds happened. To LEAD but i have never gotten a definitive answer. On it it certainly doesn't cost much, To.
Speaker 13: Try, Okay Yeah so i'm thinking the mocking birds and crows are pecking our tomatoes.
Speaker 3: ARE white i, Got, you well you know what will work or our. Ganza bags now you may not know what. It is your wife may know what an organza, bag is but there it's like a little mesh bag that has a draw string. On it and you can buy, them online, you know Even an amazon kind. Of place you can buy them in. Different sizes but if you, bought one like let's say it's four by six, or something you slip it over the tomato when it's young and just pull the. Draw string you don't have the. Tiny knotch you just pull it and friction holds it closed and the tomato grows. Inside There and i'm told by gardeners that that keeps the birds from. Pecking, them now if you got an acre, of tomatoes that's, not practical but for one or two or three or, four plants you can put those on on the tomatoes and. Try THAT and i From what i'm hearing, from people those.
Speaker 13: Are, working okay she's already pulled, it UP and i think we're going to be placing. An order we love.
Speaker 3: Our, tomatoes, Yeah, yeah well think about. Your tomatoes, you know if it's a if it's a cherry that has a, long cluster a bag is going to need to be able to. Accommodate that but generally a four by. SIX works i use them for. OKRA breeding i can put it over an okra flower and keep the bees OUT until i go in there to. Cross, It uh and it. Works well but you can, BUY them, I mean i. Don't know probably one hundred of them is not that, much money, you know so just chop around a. Little bit see, See hey and if you, DO that i want to hear from you how, that works how that's working. FOR you i always like to hear from people that are. Trying things we'll try right.
Speaker 13: For the leafeed, or ants it took a couple, of applications but they.
Speaker 3: Finally disappeared oh is that THE thing i? Sent, you, yes, sir, yes okay well be ready to get it, out Again because i'm told that it's. Never Forever but i'm glad to hear. That work thank you for letting me. KNOW that i appreciate that you. Take. Care steve, you bet?
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 3: Bet yeah Plants For all seasons is going to have those kind. Of things they have a number of, different products so, you know you go, in there you bring, a sample you bring a picture of something and show it. To them and this is this family business been run since nineteen. Seventy three they are true lawn and, garden experts but they'll take you right. To it, you know YOU say i need a systemic and sexticide for this, or that and they're going to point you. To it they've got a lot of, organic products lots of. Organic, products there a good selection of all the fertilizers you hear me talk about, on guardline a good selection, of soils, you know brown stuff before. Green stuff before you can get to the, cash register you got to walk into the area where there are things, like fertilizers which builds the nutrient content. Bank account they're going to have plenty of mixes for potting soils and amending beds and mulches and things plants for. All seasons it's just North of Luetta on highway to Forty Nine. Tombo parkway it's easy to get to seven to one three three seven six sixteen forty six seven one three three seven six sixteen. Forty six take a little break here in, A second Bonnie, and angleton you're going to be our first up when we come back, From break so just hang on tackle. Your question for the rest, of you go grab a cup of coffee and maybe check out gardening with skip dot com so you can see THESE things i keep. Referring to, all righty, welcome back welcome back to. Garden line good to heave you. With, us hey if you want to have beautiful blooms on whatever, You're Growing Nelson plant food has a product that is. It's amazing it's Called. Color start, in fact it is so popular people that are ordering it from out. OF state i mean they're shipping the things out of state that somebody call recently and it, WAS like i got a sample of this and. IT'S great i need a palette, of it. YOU know, i mean they really really like. This stuff and there's a reason Why color star has been around a. Long time but. It works it. Brings color it could be a. Flower bed maybe you got some angelonia out there, right now MAYBE some i, don't know petunias or whatever's growing in. Your beds you want them to keep blooming and have good vigor. And health color straw will. Do it and the, reason is in order for a plant to, produce blooms it's got to, have leaves and it's got to have sunlight on the leaves and that produces carbohydrates which makes it bloom and bloom. And bloom so if you let a plant bloom, itself out and our modern flowers that bloom themselves, to, death practically just give it. A boost you can share Back YOUR what i like to Do is i've got some, some petunias, some Supertunias and i'll share, them back put a Little color star, around them watered in real good and get a fresh, new booth boost of, vegetative growth and then here comes a whole bunch. More blooms And color star doesn't just WORK on, i mean, it's, perennials, annuals yes but it's it's shrubs and all kinds of things that. Have blooms color. Shars excellent It's. From nelson you can find it all over. The place you can buy it by, the jar and you just need to have it on hand because you're always going to be wanting to use it for continuing bloom and beauty on. Your plants we're going to go Now to Bonnie. And Engleton, hey bonnie welcome To. Garden line, good.
Speaker 14: Morning sir how are you today?
Speaker 3: Doing good? Doing good how can? We help.
Speaker 14: We have two, very large maybe thirty to forty foot of countries in. Our yard can't get our, arms around, you know, their trunk and all of a sudden the leaves are.
Speaker 4: Getting stripped one of them IS like i, would say seventy five to eighty percent. Stripped off the other one. IS starting i can't see any caterpillars running up and down, the trunk but there.
Speaker 10: They are.
Speaker 3: You suggest, some well, you KNOW if i wish you had, a ladder you could climb up there, and look because there's going to be a caterpillar. Around somewhere they're probably not running up and down. The trunk but it's definitely, not webworms because you didn't mention anything. About webs but there is a caterpillar called, walnut caterpillar and there's some others that can attack and feed on. Pecan, trees now pecans. Are resilient if they lose, their foliage they. CAN relief, i mean it's not good, for them but you know they can. Do it it's not going to kill the tree if you catch it. Early enough you can use sprays to control the leaf. Feeding pests but the older the, caterpillars get the less effective the spraying is going, to be especially with some of our. Organic SPRAYS so i could suggest some things if you have the spray capacity to be able to cover maybe eighty percent of the canopy of the, pecan tree or we could, just wait let nature run its course and the leaves will come back out again. On it with you losing that much of, THE leaves i THINK we're i think we're a little bit late to accomplish a whole lot with, a.
Speaker 4: Spray, All right and the lowest branches on these pecan trees or maybe gate foot off, the grounds they're just REALLY so.
Speaker 3: I, think yeah, Waited, out, yeah wait wait and watch you're. Making up you're making a lot of paper hot wasps happy right now because they're in there hauling. Caterpillars out that's their number. One food there are probably a lot of birds that are happy. Right NOW but I think i think your tree is gonna, Be okay it's just this has been A year. I had you're not the first call where something stripping a pecan and there's, no, webs, right.
Speaker 15: Okay, all right well then that's.
Speaker 4: That question do you have time for? Another question?
Speaker 6: Real?
Speaker 3: Quick?
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 14: HUH okay i have lost. The lilies don't know the name of any, of them but.
Speaker 4: There seems to be like rust on.
Speaker 14: The leaves ever had?
Speaker 4: This before is THERE something i should be putting?
Speaker 12: On them or is this just.
Speaker 4: Something from the wetness that will go away?
Speaker 3: In time is this like a day lily or a? Tiger lily what do you know what kind of lily? It is.
Speaker 4: It's it puts up one big fence stem and then maybe it's it's like trumpety at. The top, you know there's like four or five blooms at the top.
Speaker 14: And there it's fatter than a.
Speaker 8: DAY lily, i mean the stem is much better than.
Speaker 4: Day.
Speaker 3: Lily, sign, yeah well it's a rust diseases are common on a number of different kinds of liies that we have to. Deal. With uh the challenges is finding something that will shut. It down oftentimes the foliage is so infected that you have to just cut it off and have it re sprout and then treat it as it. Re sprouts that's that's one situation where you're looking in all your have rust, on them but products That contained do you have a pin or? Pencil, Handy no, I'M sorry. I don't. I'm, Great okay well this will be work well and this will be recorded so you can listen to today's show tomorrow after it. Gets posted but if you if you have if you can find something that contains a, zoxy strobin it begins with a z o x a. Xoxy strobin if you can find something That's called BELTON b a Y l E T o n OR pro peconaso PRO picon a z P r O p I c O n A z O L. E, uh anyway any of those three will work if you if you're not remembering any, of those go into a place that sells a good supply of chemicals AND say i need a. Systemic, fungicide uh and that that's probably gonna point you in the. Right direction, all right, well much, All right just remember if you got a lot. Of, rush yeah, just remember if you've got a lot, of rush you got to cut all those old leaves out, of there because otherwise you're you're you're leaving the you're leaving the typhoid mary in, the room and everybody's gonna. Get sick, all right, all right, Thank, you bonnie appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Very.
Speaker 3: Much uh, YOU know ace hardware stores are all over. The place you can Go To acehardware texas, Dot Com Ace hardware Texas dot com and find the stores. Near you that's MY Local ace. Hardware GROUP when i, SAY local i mean we got stores all the way Out, In. Porter texas You know jnr's out There. In porter you head on down to maybe you're on the east Side. Of Houston euvaldi Ace On euvaldi road is a good example. Of that Down In, bay City There's ace Hardware On. Seventh street Go To port Lavaca And, Calhoun Plaza victoria Ace On. Navarro street if you're, out northwest Well There's cyprus Ace On. Jones road You've got bryan out There On North. Austin parkway down on the southeast side, of town You got Killgore's clearlike Lumber On, East maine Patco On west Willis. In ALVIN so I mean i could go on. And on there's a Lot Of ace. Hardware stores Go To Ace hardware texas. Dot Com It's. Father's day great day to get Something for DAD at ace, and boy had they ever got? You covered really got. You covered while, you there sign up FOR The ash rewards and receive discounts and special offers ONLY for, ice Customers aceh. REWARDS customers I Joined ash rewards years ago when we Lived in cyprus and still belong and it is a good deal to be. Part, of hey you're already, shopping there go ahead and sign up for. The, rewards well it looks like time for me. To run take a quick. Break here when we, Come back john In, the woodlands you're going to be our very. First, stop hey welcome Back. To guardline good to have you. With Us good davy with us. This, morning, hey listen you hear me Talk About quality home all. The time you need a generag automatic standby Generator From. Quality home and. Here's, why now general automatics. Do that generators. Are great, you know the power, goes out they. Come on you don't have to get that out there and put gas in it and, you know started up pulling On the they they come. On Automatically But quality home they're the number one generator servicer In the houston area because they take care of. Their customers they deal with everything from helping you get the, right generator not selling. You one you don't need to going through all the you know regulations that you got to get permission and permit. Type things they do all that. For you they set it up right and then when they, drive away that's just. The beginning three hundred and sixty five days, a year seven days, a week twenty four hours a. Day service that's why they're rated. So high that's why They Win Better business. Bureau awards that is why people love QUALITY home qualitytx dot com seven to one. Three quality that's what you need TO know qualitytx dot com or give them a call seven month. Three quality we were outside the day and just enjoy in. THE mornings i love to listen to the birds out in. The morning we're watching their antics. AND stuff i had a little woodpecker downy woodpeckers coming along feeding at, my feeders and it just. Reminds me The Wild Birds unlimited quality blends bring in, the BIRDS and i mean they bring in. The birds they love. Our blends it's not the junk that's in cheap bird seed that they kick out on the ground and. DON'T eat i have The Wild Birds Unlimited Nesting super blend only Available At wallbirds unlimited because we're in nesting. Season now that's what you need to be feeding right. Now now There's Six wallbirds. Unlimited stores there's One in Cypress On barker Cypress in Houston On, memorial drive another One in houston On, Bel air Pearland On, east Broadway clear Lake On, el Dorado and Kingwood On. Kingwood drive GO to wbu dot com Forward slash houston Find the wallbird's store that's nearest. To you i'm going to go out and out To the woodlands and we're going to Talk to john. This Morning, hey john welcome To guard Line.
Speaker 15: And skip can you?
Speaker 3: Hear, me, okay, yes sir how can?
Speaker 15: We, Help okay i've got some take all patch that showed up in. The backyard i've got the characteristic melting in the center, and yellowing and it's, very Circular and i've got black stolens and black melting. Away, roots Okay so i'm fairly sure this is the first time it's an Unavoidable situation. I've been I've Got Great saint augustine in the shade in. The backyard, get so, All.
Speaker 3: Right so let's just assume, let's yeah let's assume it's take all. The round the circular part doesn't sound like, take all but all the. Rest Does uh so. Take all there are a number of good products. For it if you can find a product that contains a zoxystrobin a Z. X y that's the FIRST letters. A zoxy, those products there's One brand i'm familiar with that's over, the counter, but anyway. That's systemic it gets in. The plant you put it, to granules you put them on. The ground they're, taking up they're taken up by the plant and they do a good job of fighting. That, disease normally we don't apply. Granules now if you look at, My schedule October and november is when we took for take all. Root rot but it wouldn't hurt to treat now if you want to go ahead and. Try that the bottom line is it's, losing roots so you need to make sure it never. Dries out that doesn't mean soggy wet all. The time it just means it has. Less roots so let's make sure the soil stays moist to give it the. Best chance there is also a Product By fertile loam that is an iron supplement with. Other micronutrients it's iron and other micronutrients By fur lom and you can hose in spray that on your take all root rot and that helps bypass the fact that the roots aren't taking it up and gets those micros, in there and you're gonna deal with the problem. Of yellowing so now you got. To grass it's fighting a disease but also can't get the nutrients. It needs so, we're gonna, you know we're gonna DO the iv here with that fertil on product and get it to. The leaves and those two things combined are your best approach for the take all at, this.
Speaker 15: Point gotcha how do you feel about a micro light soil acid.
Speaker 3: Of fire, that's fine take all root. Rot favors it's favored by high pH and if you want to use their their acid product or anything that helps bring the pH on the surface there where the rhizomes are the runners rather brings a. pH down that won't hurt anything and probably is going to help a. Little, Bit.
Speaker 15: John you bet, all right, thank you thank you for.
Speaker 3: The call appreciate that, very much. Really. Do yeah, you know the Folks At nelson Nursery And water gardens out There, in katie they just always are stocked up on everything, you need and that. Includes plants by, THE way i know water gardens is what we, think about that's what they're. Famous for but from a garden, center standpoint this is a destination place out There. In katie you go Out to katie on it in turn North On Katie Fort ben road and it's just up the street on the right. Hand side go check. It out take some friends with you because it is a really. Cool place bring your kids with you and ask the Folks at nelson if you can get a little bit of feed for. The fish and there's a big old giant koi out in the. Back pond the kids can go up and hand. Feed them the fish come right up out of the wide, open mouths right up out of. The water kids will have a blast, doing that and you'll have a blast getting to enjoy just the, shopping experience not to mention all the cool fountains and plants that they Have At nelson Nursery And. Water gardens you can go to The website nelsonwatergardens. Dot com nelsonwatergardens. Dot com go check. That out it's. RERULY cool i always enjoy IT when i get to. Go there lots of lots of cool. Fun stuff. You know that's a fun thing about our great independent garden centers Here is it's not, JUST oh i get a PLANT and i. Go home it is experiencing the joy of being able to shop and enjoy and learn and see and the. Knowledgeable folks and Boy does nelson ever have plenty of those kinds of knowledgeable folks to help. You Out moss nursery Done, in seabrook another grade. Destination nursery you go down There On toddville Road. In seabrook by, the way The Website moss nursery dot Com and moss is SPILLED M A A s nursery. Dot com they're loaded up. Right now all kinds of shipments have come in. The hang when it comes to hanging baskets like you. Want to you got a gathering coming up tonight or this afternoon, or something and you want like, beauty instantly go grab some of their. Hanging baskets they. Are gorgeous, they're beautiful beautiful, house, plants tropicals. Beautiful succulents you pretty much. Ever plan do you, need shrubs do you, need trees do you? Need groundcovers do you? Need containers they've got great supply of all. Of That moss nursery is. Eight acres this family, owned operation seventy year old family owned operation is a place where you go and you just wander in the shade, of big. Beautiful trees it is fun to. Shop There, Moss Nursery toddville road two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight two eight one four seven four twenty four. Eighty eight go check. Them out we're gonna take a little. Break here when we, Come back guy special guests. Coming in Someone From Ace hardware store is going to tell us a little bit About Their, Children's Network children's hospital, that is and the Things That ace hardware has been up to in terms of supporting that Old Deal Children's Texas Children's hospital fundraiser is just a. Wonderful thing and when you Shop, at Ace and i've done, this before you can just round up and things and give. Toward that we're gonna hear about what that, is accomplishing why that is. So important AND then i want to pick his brain About Some father's day Things because i'm telling you as, a, father well just. Stick around you're gonna hear some. Cool stuff in, the meantime let's go get us a cup. Of coffee i'll be back bright eyed and. Bushy tails, all, right folks. Were back welcome back To. Garden line good to have you. With us listen, This hour i'm going to be visiting with SOMEONE. From, ace specifically we Have Mister bill Murph FROM cyprus ace here on the line, with us AND if i can punch the, right button there. We Go, hey bill Welcome To garden.
Speaker 6: Line morning thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: This morning thanks for taking time out to. Do that i've been wanting to visit with you about a couple, of things but it's good to have you On and i've got a, thousand questions so. We'll see we'll see how far we get. On this first, OF all i WANTED to i keep HEARING About Ace hardware stores work With A Texas, children's HOSPITAL and i know you guys do some Fundraising For Texas, children's HOSPITAL and i would like to just have you kind of tell us a little bit, about that let the listeners know what's, going on and maybe we'll get to how they can be part of. Supporting That.
Speaker 6: Texas children's has been near and dear to our heart, for many. Many years we've been Partnering With Children's, mercal network which directly the proceeds go Directly To Texas. Children's hospital any. Local donations we take nothing off of the top of it at one hundred percent Go Through texas children which is. Very impactful and we've been doing that since nineteen ninety one and over those years we've raised over two hundred and thirty million Dollars For Children's, meerical network which a big chunk of that Goes To Texas. Children's hospital there is one hundred and Fifty Four Children's americal network hospitals In The, united states so we do get a chunk. Of that, last year to give you, an example we raised almost a half million dollars Just For texas children's Here, In. Houston wow and that was primarily done through. Numerous campaigns we do round up on an in my particular Store At Cyprus, aase hardware we do ground up three hundred and sixty five days, a year which allows you to ground up pennies at, a time allowing you to make a. Huge impact last year our round up numbers For ace as the whole we raised over set point two million dollars, so pennies and that just makes a.
Speaker 3: Huge difference that's just people throwing a handful of pocket change out, you know you don't even know, it's gone and and it mounted to you're saying seven million dollars raise as. A whole that, Is huge that is that is. Huge, Huge yeah i've actually done that in a store. YEARS ago i Lived in cyprus and we Went To jones road, up there, and uh, YOU know i didn't know you at, the TIME but I remember i remember that back in. That, time yeah you could just check, it out just round it up a few a, few coins, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Cool yeah a few pennies at. The time that's a lot, OF dollars. I mean and on top, of that we've last year we raised just over twenty four million Dollars for children's Mark. On network so seven million came from from. Round up the other come from different various fund raisers that, we do, golf tournaments, golf outings just we do a lot of fun THINGS at ace to raise money. For children and, YOU know i can guarantee you every listener that's listening right now has been Affected By Texas, children's hospital whether it be, your kid a, neighbor's kid or someone else in. The family and thankfully we have that ability To Have texas children's right here in.
Speaker 3: Our community that that, is true and it really does make. A DIFFERENCE and i know, you you even as, a family y'all have been impacted, by that and as, you say a lot of people, certainly have and, you know you don't think about how important that is until one day you find out you've got a child that is not, doing well and you go through the things that parents, go through parents and grandparents and, that's like oh, my gosh, what now what are we going? To do and having that kind of expertise here just down the street from us In The greater houston area. Is amazing.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 6: Truly is and if you think, about it the two the worst words you can hear out of a doctor's mouth and the best words you can hear out of a doctor's mouth is you need to take your Kid To Texas. Children's hospital and the best words are it's.
Speaker 3: Right. Here, yeah wow we are fortunate in that well. IT is i, DON'T know, i mean it just almost sounds cliche or patronizing to say thank you so much for, doing THIS but i really appreciate the Fact that ace is, doing it and in so, many ways everybody that shops there, is contributing and thank you too for. Doing that it takes so little to round up and THAT'S just, i mean it's like you didn't even, do it and yet look how it. Adds up i'm stunned by, the number like seven million dollars, for example on something like that on a national. Ace basis and we're fortunate Here, in texas like, you said it's here in. Our town we get to have that extra access, to it which.
Speaker 6: Is, cool well and a few, years back we were able to do something that we're very. Proud of we were able to actually help open a pediacurate brain clinic There At texas children because when my grandson was was a unfortunately or fortunately a regular Patient At, texas hospital they didn't have a clinic where you went in and you saw, the rheumatologists, the oncologist and the all the different doctors at. One visit it was you had to make, different appointments and, you know if you go From from cyprus, to downtown that's not an. Easy, commute now fortunately they have other campuses, around now but then we were going back and forth downtown and one of the things that they were trying to do is raise enough money to be able to go in and open up a pedi accurate brain clinic and be able to see all the doctors at, one visit And doctor mescal was able to help us get in with several of the other doctors there, and coordinate and then we were able to raise enough money to put together a clinic where my grandson has, auto encephalitis which is basically a disease that attacked your, own brain and they were able to shut it down and stop. That progression he's somewhat in. Remission Today thank God To texas children possible because they did save. His life so that's. Our why and you know when we started in nineteen, ninety one our kid for infants at the time were, well, YEAH inphants, I guess and we had no idea our why as to why we would be doing what we're. Doing today there.
Speaker 3: You go.
Speaker 6: Our grandpill. I'm along.
Speaker 3: That is that. Is touching i'm forced to go to a break. Right here, HANG on i want to continue that story right when we, come. Back folks Thanks got Bill murph On From. Ace, hardware folks we're talking About The Texas, children's Hospital The Technic, Miracle Network Children's, miracle network and we'll be. Right back, oh yeah love that us leap at. The, will hey. Welcome back thanks for listening to The guard. Line today what we're doing this HOUR is i am Visiting With bill Murph From. Ace hardware, you know we Got Our ace hardware stores here In The greater houston area. And beyond and we're talking about one of the Fundraisers That ace hardware does For The Texas, children's hospital Specifically The. Miracle Network, so bill welcome back To. GARDEN line I think i stopped you in the middle of a thought because we had a hard. Break THERE but i don't know if you remember where, we were but if you want to pick right up. From there, If not i'll come up with some other QUESTIONS that i got. Sitting. Here now.
Speaker 6: That's fine. That's fine by, The Way Happy father's Day And Happy father's day to all the fathers. Out there.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 6: THE what i was telling you about is The AUTOMM Unicephalitis uh foundation OR. The uh we were able to START A Uh interactive day with The Autom, unocephalitis team and by, doing so we were able to create a program With The Texas CHILDREN'S. Hospital uh and this is all funds raised out of out of our money that's done through, round up, through cookalls through different variations and. Vender, partnership uh and not a way when someone has the child that has a very rare disease or a. Burn injury they were able to go in and Go To texas children's and meet with, the team and, you know it's it's not like you have to go and make an, appointment here, appointment here and an. Appointment here they, go in they and the team comes in and works. With you and that's a very very, huge step, you know in order for a team to be able to look at setting up a program, like that, you know you're about one hundred thousand dollars just to even start that. Thought process and through the roundup and through our great community that we, live in we were able to start that campaign within. A, year wow it's been a. Huge lifesaver and you know that it's crazy because we, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead no. Go ahead. I'M sorry i was going.
Speaker 6: To say we have met some amazing people Down at Texas children but, more importantly we've also met some. Amazing patients, You know we've met a lady that has had two kids go through the same program my grandson has gone through and one is, in remission one is still fighting. The battle so they're they're doing great things Down At Texas. Hitlin hospital i'm gonna give. You example, my grandson which is now fourteen. Years old at fifteen, months old he was not able, to, walk talk couldn't even acknowledge his eyes were fixed and they were able to get. Him back now he, plays baseball he hits, home runs he's playing, center field he's, a pitcher he's now. Playing football all the things that we were told would never happen has happened now Because The Texas. Children's, hospital wow.
Speaker 3: That's Huge, and bill, you know as you're, Saying that i'm just thinking about there's, the patient and you were talking about little children that don't know what's going on and they just know, something's wrong and they're in a. Scary place and my parents are obviously, very worried so something must be. Really wrong there's that struggle and then going. Through everything but then there's a parents and the family and the friends. And things they go, through this and it is it is beyond a blessing to have Tech as. Children's here but the thing that, Strikes, me bill is everybody listening, to them our voice right now can. Do something, you know you look at something like some major childhood disease or cancer or some, other issue and you're, just, going well WHAT can? I do, YOU know, I mean i got pocket, change here and that's exactly what you, just said is pocket change put seven million dollars into something to. Help children and there's so many, other ways but you're kind of telling us that there's something important that we. Can do there's something significant that we can be a. Part of and that, feels good and it's good knowing. It's local it's good knowing the people you walk, into issue, you see the managers and employees, and stuff they're they're, your people you. Know it and then here's a simple little thing that you can do to be part of something. Way BIGGER and i think. That's awesome that gets. Me, excited.
Speaker 6: Yeah it's so easy. To do just, you know when you're at the REGISTER and i, ask you would you like to round Up For Texas? Children's hospital just, So yes and if you're not, able to we understand there are different scenarios. For everybody we appreciate that the donations with people that, do that and if you're not, able to we also, understand that but we appreciate it. Very much there's other ways to do that, as Well and i'm going to just give you a WEBSITE if. I May Ace hardware foundation dot org also allows you to go in and. Do Donations drive the middle of the page is about to donate if you put in one of our local stores at one hundred percent of that money Goes To Texas. Children's, hospitals again the beauty of our program is is that we fund the foundation and that allows, the money one hundred percent of that money to just cycle right Back Into Texas. Children's hospital we have no administrative pull off the top, of that and that's one of The things i'm extremely proud of for. OUR foundation i sit on the on the director board of the foundation and that's one of the important things to me is that there's nothing siphoned off of. The top one hundred percent of it goes.
Speaker 3: To Touch As. Children's Hospital Ace hardware foundation, Dot Org Ace hardware foundation dot. Or so so when you, GO there i think you you mentioned that you put put your you can put your local store right.
Speaker 6: Correct correct when you click on the donation tab up at, the top you can also read about what we do is with other stuff, we do we do do more than Just The Children's. Mercle network by, the way there's there's a lot of money raise For The. RED cross i know there's people that Love Hate red cross And Hate. Red cross. The kids they're there when you, need them and they are into some of these. Hurricane communities we saw That During. Hurricane borough we also saw That During. Hurricane harvey and then we also HAVE The Ace, helpful fund which has helped our our employees when they're in times. Of need, YOU know i had an employee pass away and do our a hardware foundation or a help will find we were actually helped help her pay for the funeral expenses of her. Over husband so it's kind. Of cool, So yeah. I'm sorry back to where, you said make a donation to Your Local Children's Americal. Network hospital when you click on there and you put in your name and, your address it will actually uh tag you to a store closest to your zip code and that allows it to go Directly Into Texas. Children's hospital.
Speaker 3: That's good. That's, great well now you we talked about, rounding up but you mentioned something you and passing use the, term roundup preferring to round up as another way that funds. Are raised can you tell a little bit about.
Speaker 6: That as far as the roundup.
Speaker 3: That's, concerned well is this an event you were talking about or, uh no.
Speaker 6: The roundup is actually you're kind to get the registers the other events that.
Speaker 3: We, do, okay, sorry sorry sorry. About that, all, right well, thank you but let's talk about the, other events because there's something that really peaked my interest when you were talking about, all this and this was something that is a, grilling contest like twenty different teams competing. And grilling we tell us a little bit. About that.
Speaker 6: In, the past we've actually done what's Called The Gregor ace off and we were actually able to bring in about twenty teams and we do cook off and we allow them to raise money and we raise money for types of. Children's, HOSPITAL unfortunately covid kind of killed, that program but we are in we are in the works to bring. It back hopefully in twenty, twenty six we will have that program back up, and running and we'll either have it in the spring or. The fall that's what we're trying to determine. Right now so that'll be a. Fine thing we'll have to continue that at a.
Speaker 3: Later, date well if you end up, doing that let, me Know because i'd love to tell people about that and the support it in that that way. As, Well bill these are all. GOOD things i, am EXCITED and i think our, listeners too about the fact that we're talking about something, that's local which. Is important we're talking about something that, impacts families including people, you know and, god forbid even your. Own families the people that. Are listening we're talking about something that's easy. To do. It's simple. It's clear you're not giving to a dollar away and eighty percent goes to maintaining something and twenty percent goes to. The cause we're talking about one hundred, percent here and those are. ALL important i want. YOU know i know my listeners are compassionate and they care, about people and they want. To help and to be able to do something where you see a direct penny per penny help for something that's SO tangible i think is. Really important really appreciate it us doing all.
Speaker 6: THIS well i appreciate your bringing awareness to it and allowing us some time to talk about it.
Speaker 3: This, MORNING yeah i think that is a. Good thing check out your. Locally, starder sure and we're going to go to a break here in about a minute and. A half i've got a heartbreak in about a minute and. A half but is there anything else regarding it that you might like to tell?
Speaker 6: Us about, you know the one THING that I really i'm proud about is that we have over five thousand stores IN the us and we have thirty four stores In the houston AND The A Stardwork. Texas group out of those thirty, four stores we're kind of Like A davidson july aspect. Of it we raised over right out a half million dollars. Last year we're fifth and the nations groups. Are concerned i'm gonna give. You comparison the number one group has one hundred and seventy. Eight stores we have thirty, four stores and personal were kicking.
Speaker 3: Their. Butt, wow well that's something to be. Proud of.
Speaker 6: That's good houston is, a great. Great area it's amazing how caring and how giving People, From houston.
Speaker 3: Texans are well that that, is true and there's a real Deal about, houston proud that's. For sure and this is certainly another thing that another reason to be proud of. It here so as far as, you know you've got you expressed your own experience There with texas children. AND things i think we probably have a lot of other listeners that have have gone through experiences of their own with unexpected problems with the kids that suddenly now were life changes on, A dime and whereas you had your plans and your life and how things, were going and suddenly all the priorities get thrown out the window and it all focuses in on dealing. With this and it's so good to know that we have people here In the Houston Area Texas, children's hospital, for example that are ready to go and ready to work, on that and with contributions like you guys, have made such as the money that was donated recently to help make the whole, experience better there are for kids in terms of facilities and doctors being able to work together and coordinate. And whatnot that is really that is really. COOL stuff i. Appreciate that i'm gonna can you hang on until we get through the bottom of the hour break and we talk. Some, More, SURE okay i. Appreciate that. Thank you we will be back with you. ON that i just want to, remind, you guys you're Listening To. Garden line we are not taking the general calls. Right now we will start that at eight at the nine. O'clock hour, all, right volks, We're back we. Are back welcome Back. To guardline we are visiting this Hour With bill Murph From Cyprus, ice hardware and we've been talking ABOUT The ace hardware program With The Texas Children's, miracle Network The Texas children's hospital and all of the THINGS that ace has done and that you can do in. Small ways, you know they do a number of different fundraisers IN the, ace group both our local group certainly one of the most as he was, saying earlier one of the most perse store generous groups in the. WHOLE country, i mean we look at NATIONALLY how ace stores. Are ranked our stores here are just readily performing and stepping up to. The plate but it's because you guys are stepping up. The plate it's because every time, you know you go in and, you, SAY hey i round Up For texas children's you know that every penny you rounded up is going, to that and it amounts to the millions when you LOOK At ace hardware across our country contributing to these kind. Of causes so it's a. Big deal, but anyway We've got bill back right NOW and i wanted to go Back. To bill hey, You, There, bill, Yes sir, i'm here, Good. GOOD well I just i couldn't let you go without Talking About father's day. TO day, i mean we were in the big Middle Of father's day and one of my favorite Places For father's day Shopping is Ace. Hard restore, IN FACT i I My father's day this year is Thanks To Ace. Hardware store my family all. Pitched In so i'd like to hear from you some ideas that you think, that are, you know especially things people may want to Consider. For dad, you know we still have. Time here we're gonna be going till ten. O'clock today so after the show or put it on in the radio in, the car run down To your Ace hard restore and we can make it a really. Special day so let's talk about that a. Little bit yeah.
Speaker 6: We can we can make it a special but there's. STILL time, i mean we'll do our best to get it delivered out if it's a if it's a grill that you that you're Looking, for dad, you know we do free deliveries on grills of three more and, that's uh and that's still possible today for at some of our locations and at. Our, location uh, if not we can definitely give him something to look forward to later in the, Week now so we do have. That ability and we've got some killer deals on grills. Right now, You know tragger has you can save up to two hundred dollars on some of the Grill with Trager wreck texas up to one hundred and fifty dollars on savings on the on the rec. Text grills so we've got some really. Neat, deals uh Even our. Blackstone, griddles uh we Have a burger press kit that comes along with it for free, Right now so for Timing For, father's day our any pizza ovens come with a wooden pizza peel. For free that's a fifty. Dollars, VALUE so i mean you've got some good numbers out here that some good avings for our People For.
Speaker 3: Father's day, well yeah and you guys carry all the. BIG brands, i mean you know some people Are. INTO Weber i i've Cooked on weber most of. MY life I love. Weber girls that's another one. You haven't and then there's The The Big. Green Egg now i've never Delved Into Big green, egg WORLD but i have friends ARE and i can promise you it is. A cult people that.
Speaker 6: Are cult may be an understatement. ON that, i mean there are eggheads, out there and let me tell. YOU what i am personally, an egghead UH and I have i have, them ALL but i am. AN egghead i love cooking on my big. Green egg there they're. YOU know i always tell people the quality of a cook is how you can cook a. Chicken breast and if you if you cook a chicken breast on a big, green egg it's almost like a. Pressure cooker it holds some moisture in so when you when you slice the, chicken breast it should be moist, and tender, not dry but it's still being. Cooked completely so.
Speaker 3: Friend, of mine a friend of mine Up in tomball got a big green and one time at, A gathering i asked, the question so what's a big? Green, egg well three, hours later when he took a breath, of air.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 3: Was hilarious but, you know barbecuing is so much. Fun outside and then you guys don't just have the, Grills though you've got all kinds of accessories to go, with them, you know to make it, more successful. More enjoyable AND and i just, YOU know i just think. That's amazing so what are some? Other ideas great great things? For dad, all right unless you want to continue, on BARBECUE.
Speaker 6: Well i could continue on barbecue for a. LONG time, i mean if. Nothing Else and i'll just add for the accessories to the grill that he's already got the. Perfect grill does he have the, perfect seasonings because we have probably the largest assortment of seasonings and rubs.
Speaker 3: In.
Speaker 6: The CITY so, i mean just stop, by it take a. Look it you'll be amazed at the brands all the WAY from i don't Know if i'm saying this on, the air but grow your. Ass off that's My my son's. Seasoning line we Carry, meat church we Carry uh. TRAGGER seasonings, i mean we carry a huge variety, of seasonings so our pellets and the accessories to go along. With, that now let's jump into some other items that would be Good. For dad, right now We have ego mowers on sale that come with an. Extra battery we have a, buy one get One free ego program, as well where you can buy a trimer and get a blower or blower and a turmer one way or. The other so and and you got. A battery, i'm sorry a free battery with that on.
Speaker 3: That kit.
Speaker 6: We have Some some pillar deals on steel steel. Power equipment the majority of our retailers In the houston market are, steel retailer so we have that that get galthy. As well let me something that's not necessary Way A father's, day item but it can be a Great father. Day gifts We carry, champion Generators the, trifield generator, so uh coming up on, hurricane season you know it kind of can get you a double. Double advantagure, you know you get a get a generator, for dad and you got power when the power. Goes out so we do have the a bolt uh, for generators and we carry a full line of generators at. Our store but you can also see the full line on a starter dot com or to A. Starterwork texas, i'm sorry Uh.
Speaker 3: Dot com well you're you're like you're like hitting on my on my brands a. Lot here uh the uh still is it happens to be the one of the brands THAT that i Haven't ENJOY and i know you guys have power. Tools too you know everything from from Uh the ace, brands itself uh to several other brands that you Know of dad's into the battery operated drills and and uh sasols and things. Like that i've been very impressed. With that, IN fact i SOMETHING that I that i tell people a lot when we're Talking about ace in the store is that when you go INTO An ace, hardware store you you're just not gonna if you haven't been In An ace hardware store, in ages you're not gonna. Believe it it's not your grandfather's. Hardware store does everything your grandfather's hardware, store had but stuff like you're gonna say a, Thousand, TIMES oh i didn't know they had. That here, YOU know i know you guys, up there you've got the, fudge bar and you've got the little thing that carves what cutting boards. And things it's it's all kinds Of, department. Yeah, engraving yeah it's stuff. Like that and people just need to go to Their Local ace hardware store and you. Can, go folks please write This Down Ace hardware texas. Dot com GO To Ace hardware texas dot com and look at all the stores that are part OF My ace hardware group here In The greater. Houston area AND when i, SAY greater i mean We're. Talking beaumont we're Talking about Victoria on rockport and everywhere through, this region and there's a LOT Of ace hardware stores and you need to go see one to see what we're. Talking, About well i'm gonna i have to go TO break i. Hate breaks i'm gonna have to go to. Break. Again bill i'm just getting wound up here and all excited the barbecue and started. It all we'll be right back if you get around for one more, Brief segment i'd. Appreciate it, welcome. Back folks good to have you listening in the garden line On This Father's. Day sunday good to have you. With us we are Visiting With bill Murph From Cyprus ace hardware and just talking about all kinds OF. Things ace we discussed earlier Today The Children's miracle network project and the donations that are MADE by ace and actually made by you to that and the impact that they Have On Texas children's hospital right here In the, houston area and therefore the impact they have on. People's lives and you can be part of that by rounding your. Purchases up we're talking about pocket, change here just throwing a few more pennies to bring it up to an, even dollar and over the course of a year In The National Ice, hardware network seven million dollars raised. THAT way, i mean it's insignificant to us as we're, checking out very significant in the lives of children and. Their families and we're ALSO now i kind Of got bill, going here We're Doing father's day as. A father, i'm Biased therefore i'm. Especially INTERESTED but i got to tell. You something there's a lot of moms out there that would like a. Barbecue pet there are a lot of moms out there that would like some good quality power equipment and other things. Like that, so hey it used to be a father's day to enjoy these kind. Of, things bill. Welcome back good to have you. With us let's continue on with some Ideas For father's day GIFTING From Ace. Hardware store maybe some things people just don't normally. Think, about.
Speaker 6: OKAY and i have a few more suggestions, And IDEAS and i just want to correct A statement i made. Earlier here the the pediatric clinic that we we Opened At texas children just called the inflammatory brain, Disease clinic so it doesn't it's not just. Auto amnisatellitis it's any.
Speaker 3: Brain DISEASE.
Speaker 6: So i just wanted to plug that in THERE because i was correcting. On that but back from the, other's day there's there's some really cool things and and so you can come in and buy your dat a fifty dollars gift card if you don't know what, to buy and you get a ten dollars gift card, for you so it's kind of. A bonus so you don't have the time about the ten dollars. Gift card you can keep that.
Speaker 3: For, yourself okay then nobody's listening but you and me, that well we'll keep that, Between, us, bill.
Speaker 6: Okay okay we have we have some killer deals on The Walk Tools milwaukee tools. As well you can buy A Twoine milwaukee impacts or hammer, drill sorry and get one hundred and sixty nine dollars battery.
Speaker 3: For free so.
Speaker 6: That's huge milwaukee never never runs deals to that, that magnitude and now he's.
Speaker 3: Got.
Speaker 6: That wow we also have a nice rewards exclusive which is twenty five percent off of any single item under, Fifty dollars so that's that's a big savings. Right there in the, same time that's.
Speaker 3: UNHEARD of i just want to remind want to. REMIND people i want to, remind PEOPLE and i want you. To continue but if you're you're sitting, Here, going okay Where's, My ace Where's My Ace Ace hardware texas. Dot com they're all over. The place go find your local ice. HARDWARE store, i mean, you Know like, bill said in, a pinch you can get a, gift certificate but you can also just hauld a down there. Right now i'm pretty sure that this would be a good day to. Do that, BUT anyway i, interrupted you so will you please continue with?
Speaker 6: Some, ideas oh, no problem Though problem we have a full Line of yetti cooler yetty cups. Right now we have some good deals on those, as well so make sure and stop in and, see, those Or like, skip said hop On acehardwer texas dot com and you can see the deals that we. HAVE there i do want to talk about a little bit about. Our stores so In The aceharder, texas group we have thirty. Four stores imagine thirty four. Different personalities so my store which, has, fudge truffles, ice cream a, gift section a, grill section and then a traditional hardware sure, to boot there's thirty four different personality so when you Go To, katie hardware it's completely different personality than. My store so it's kind of like a new adventure at every store you. Stop at and my WIFE and i do this all the time when. We're traveling we make a point to stop at different a stores to see the. Different personality so it is thirty four. Different owners we've got some multi. Store owners but the key is is that most of your stores that you, shop into you can either talk to the, general manager you can talk to the owner of, the store and you get help like there's. No tomorrow we have we have a bundance of people that have different varieties, of backgrounds so we can get you in and help you with what your problems are and get you the, right product hopefully on the.
Speaker 3: First time that is that. Is important that. Is important and SO while ace is a national chain and so you do get the standard things that you would Expect From, ace hardware because it's truly a local store with a local owner in. Your neighborhood you are getting the local aspect of it and the local flavor. Of it it's a family that you. Can know in, other words you know the folks that run. These stores they're truly mom and pop kinds of, stores because like, you said each of you gets to put your own personality and maybe even what fits the neighborhood that. You're in, you know the kinds of things that people there would be interested in and provide those. For them you're not locked into just having to sell. Certain things.
Speaker 6: And and i'll back to what we talked. About earlier if you, shock local it. Stays local we, give local so we're we're giving back to our community and numerous. Different ways But, In texas children's is a huge portion, of that but one hundreds of our, we're local so it.
Speaker 3: Stays local that's that's all, good stuff. All right let's, See here i'm looking at. My clock we got about two, minutes left AND so i know there's more gifts we can, talk about more. Great ideas you keep hitting on. My brands i've got a garage full of. Yellow tools you were just talking about the, Power tools.
Speaker 6: So so you can come in there and you get fifty dollars on the wall uh laower. Tool astortment so there. You go you can you can save that we from other dalalts that Uh you i'll definitely check us. Out online on that or like, you said stop into. The store we alls have a full Line. Of craftsmen, you know most people don't REALIZE. That Ace when craftsman trying to jump away from The old, SEER stores ace was the first place they went to because we had the footprint across the nation and we're when we carry a full Line of craftsmen tools and power. Tools successories shop back for the wet. Drive aacks i'm sorry to me say shop, but uh the wet Driveacks. From craftsmen it's on sale right now for seventy. Nine dollars so there are some killer deals. Out there.
Speaker 3: That's, great well ONE thing i don't want us to fail, to mention and that IS The ace rewards. Customer program so will you grow briefly in the next minute TALK About ace rewards.
Speaker 6: For, ME Absolutely asha wards is a. Great program we basically you're going to earn two percent of everything you spend back in a, store credit so you're able to actually come in and get items for free sometimes if you've if you've spent money. With, us also we give you exclusive deals like the twenty five percent off. Anything item we also allow you to if you download the app you're able to see what your purchases are in the in the past on. That app it's really nice because when you, COME IN sa i need an. Air filter OH what's az do? You Need oh i'm. Not, sure well let's look on the app and see if you've purchased in. The past there. You go but we definitely offered offer that and it helps for you don't have to keep a receipt. With you we've got it on file if you've purchased it to the issue. Wards program, but again you're getting two percent back of everything.
Speaker 3: You purchase that's great and it just. MAKES sense, i mean you're going to be, In there you're going to be in their shopping, and whatnot and least buy our dog foods from you that by, the Way there Bill. On Jones but Bill the, MUSIC says i got to. Quit talking this has. Been great thank you so much for coming on telling us about what he, is doing And The Texas children's hospital and the other, You Know Children's miracle network and and just all. The gifts, so folks there you are. No excuses now if you don't know what to, get dad you know where to go to. Find out thanks, A lot bill appreciate you having on so good to talk to. You again, all, Right Folks Happy. Father's day we'll be back at top of the nine. O'clock hour we're going to start taking calls again if you want to dial in seven one three two one two KAT R h, all righty welcome back to The, guarden, line folks On A father's, DAY morning A Nice Sunday father's. DAY morning i hope you enjoyed our VISIT With. Ace hardware that was good to be able to kind of learn more about some of the SUPPORT That ace hardware stores do For Our Children's miracle network And Specifically Texas children's hospital here In The. Greater houstonario if you are dealing with pests in, the House and i'm not talking about, Two legged i'm talking about four legged and six legged and, everything else, fire, ants mosquitos, wild armts, you know rats and mice and things. Like that termites for crying, Out loud The. Pest bros The. Pest bros that's the company you need to reach. Out to Dpestbros dot com is the website dpestbros dot com two eight one two oh six forty. Six seventy they cover the whole. REGION here i mean all the way from, you know up In the woodlands Down To, texas city from Out, in katie all the way Across The. Bay town this is their this is, their turf and they know how to manage whatever pest you're dealing with in an effective way, that works and how to do it in a very, safe manner the safest, manner possible so you get long term results without work two eight one two o six forty six seventy or Go to Thepestbros. Dot com we're gonna head out Now to Martha. In Cyprus, Hello martha welcome To.
Speaker 16: Garden line hi skip pmpy. Father's dates. Thank you did you get the PICTURES that? I sent?
Speaker 3: I did i, Sure, Did, okay uh, beautiful lawn by, THE way.
Speaker 16: I know it's the most Beautiful line i've ever. Had here i've been here twenty two years and it's thicker. And everything but we're getting all these brown spots all not a, whole lot but those are just two of THEM that, i sent and we got some in the same place, last.
Speaker 3: Year, same place, very well the.
Speaker 6: Same areas it's on the side of.
Speaker 3: The, house yeah so that is something. That is i'm going, to say use the. Term burning that's something burning. The grass that is not, a disease and that is not an insect. DOING that i don't know what. It is but if you had a dog, that had, you know like a concentrated urine spot, or something it would look exactly. Like THAT so, i mean if you spill some fertilizer on, the ground the salt based, synthetic fertilizer it would burn it just like. That too something's happening THERE and i don't know what. IT is i don't, know why but their irregularity of it kind of makes me think of something chemical or. Like that chemical could include dog urine if it were a little. Different shape i've had spots, Like, that MARTHA where i SET a i, don't know a piece of a bag or something on. The ground it had something and it was clear and the sunshine through and just kind of cook the grass and it looked. Like that, but again we're burning the. Grass there, we're not, YOU know I don't you don't need to go out and buy a. Fund beside your lawn looks. Beautiful everywhere this is this one, little distinct. IRREGULAR spot i don't know what else would, Cause it so kind of pick, your brain try to try To play colombo a little bit on what could have happened, right there being in the. FRONT yard i doubt that it's a place where the dog went to, the bathroom but.
Speaker 7: Could, be no it's on.
Speaker 16: The side we live on a corner and it's on the side of our house. The street but we don't.
Speaker 17: HAVE dogs, i mean we don't have, a dog and the dogs don't.
Speaker 16: Run loose in.
Speaker 6: This area, YOU know.
Speaker 3: I don't know whether than.
Speaker 6: COULD have i, mean.
Speaker 3: No if that was, the case it would be because of, the frequency and we would be seeing a lot of gray leaf SPOT and i don't see it in. Your pictures so you know it will close back in the grass from around it will close. Back. In uh, you know if you catch those things when right when, they happen you can drench them with water and wash the salts and. Things out but in, this case the damage has already. Been done so there's no sense in renting. That, spot oh we wouldn't hurt to just take.
Speaker 16: Your garden we'd pull out The dead should we pull out the? Dead stuff well.
Speaker 3: You could it's not, a disease so one benefit of the dead being there is that it's blocking sunlight for hitting, the soil so you end up getting we'd see sprouting right. In there but it wouldn't hurt to pull it out if you want to pull it out and then maybe throw a little bit of a compost over the surface of, the soil just at like a half, inch deep that. Wouldn't hurt maybe speed at closing in a. Little, BIT yeah i don't know what is, causing IT but i do know the kind of damage, it is and so We've already i've kind of already talked. About that but that's my.
Speaker 16: Best, Shot, okay well it's not, brown patch that's what.
Speaker 3: It is definitely not a. Brown patch it does not take a. Root rot it is not great, leaf spot is, not chinchbugs there's, not grubs there's not. SOD webworms, i mean, you know it's we can eliminate all.
Speaker 16: Those things, was, weird allay, All right i'll worry. ABOUT it i think.
Speaker 3: You need to get you a. Game camera you know those things where they when deer, walk up it takes a picture. Of them and you need to catch some dog walker letting Their letting fido run over in your yard from that. Side yard that'd be my my best conspiracy theory.
Speaker 16: Right there the only thing is it's closer to. THE house, i mean if it were near, THE street i could see that happening because the people that walk, the dogs. You know but, this is this is closer up to, the HOUSE and I don't we just don't see. Dogs running, But anyway i'll put worrying.
Speaker 3: About, it sorry. Sounds good. Thanks man that.
Speaker 16: Looks great thank you.
Speaker 6: So much.
Speaker 3: It does it does get you some green spray paint and spray that dead grass green and we'll. Be good there, you go by. Bye bye, all right you. Take care there. You go, all right let's see HERE if i can get the air.
Speaker 14: We.
Speaker 3: Go listen heirloom, soils quality soil blends like one equals airloom. Equals quality when you look at airloom. Soil products we're talking about the veggie. Nerve mix we're talking about the, bloomers blend roses and, other bloomers any flowers, on it it's good. For that we're talking about products for growing. Fruit trees we're talking. About blends, for example they have a cactine succulent, bend blend very gritty, you know let's, excellent drain it's super. High drain it the works. Potting soil there's another one from the Folks. At heirloom you go, garden centers, feed stores. HARDWARE stores, i mean you're gonna, find airloom soilce products all. Over town any for those of you doing, bigger jobs maybe you want to do some top dressing with a leaf. Mo compost we can get a cubic yard supersack of leaf mo compos delivered to. Your, place now by, the way they ONLY deliver i think it's a three. SACK minimum i believe you just have to talk. To them if you want to have, a delivery go to the website rock in the letter in and multch dot com Rock. In mulch you can also give them a call two eight one three five four nineteen fifty two eight one three five four nineteen fifty find out exactly what it is that it's going to take to get it to. Your house they can dup it on, the driveway they can bring. The supersacks they'll give you all. The information it's the most economical way to get quality organic materials to, your place and that is through the either you picking it up or then bringing it to you in the boult time for me to take a little. Break here when we, come back we're going to Talk to Sean and Katie and Glenn. In, houston hey. We're back welcome To. Garden line i'm, Your Host. Skip rictor we're here to help you have a, beautiful garden a bountiful landscape garden and more fun in. The process that's that's the goal of what. We're doing if you want your long to look its best and you live Inside, the beltway by, the way, Year round houston dot com is the specialist when it comes to corrodation and compost top dressing Inside the beltway Year round houston dot com eight three two eight eight four fifty three. Thirty five they use quality. Screen products they use a very. High grade they, come out they do, the aerration which is important for breathing life into. The soil they do the compost, stop dressing fine layer over, the Top and i'm telling you the difference. Is dramatic, In fact i'm gonna post something To our facebook page Maybe the, instagram too that somebody sent me a picture the other day and they had done a couple things in their lawn and they had done the nitrophoss superturf and then they'd done a corroation and compost, stop dressing and oh, MY gosh, i mean it's Like Call, augusta national tell them to do the next golf tournament in these people's front yard because it looked exactly that good Year round Houston Dot com Inside the beltway eight three, to two eight eight four fifty three. Thirty five we're gonna go Now to katie and Talk. To, Sean, Hello sean welcome To Garden, Line. MORNING skip i had a.
Speaker 15: Quick QUESTION so i got the Nitrofoss bugout MAX and i also have the.
Speaker 3: Pre EMERGING can i put that down the? Same, day yes. You can the Bug. Out max you're gonna want to water it so that it comes off the granules and goes into the thatch and the surface of the. Soil. There uh and the the which Of the, i'm sorry which of the herbicides did you say you used the mean or was it A? Fertile no? Pretty much, the, barricade yeah, barricade, Yeah yeah and. The, barricade also you need about about a half inch of water to wash it off the granules and into, The surface so put them both out and then put about a half inch of water on and you're good. To, go yes you can do them both. THE same i wouldn't mix them in the same hop at the same time because particle size is different and you want them to. Spread evenly so, spread one, come back reload the hopper with, the other spread it and then half inch of water and.
Speaker 1: You're, Good, okay well, last question is it a good time To use medina hasta grow liquid lawn fertilizer or this is.
Speaker 3: It's something the quick. Green, up yeah it's always a. GOOD time a twelve Four eight medina has to grow for lawns. Is fine there's a lot of There's other medina products like that that are liquid that you. Can apply the twelve four eight has to grow for lawns is. A fertilizer that's a, good blend and you can do. That, now.
Speaker 6: Okay thank you. Very Much happy.
Speaker 3: Father's, ekes, yes sir thank you. Very much you take care sure will you are listening to guardline the phone number seven one three six or seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five. Eight seven that's. Going Now to houston and Talk. To Glenn, hey glenn welcome To. Garden, line well, Good.
Speaker 5: Morning, skip hey uh, real QUICKLY before i get to, MY question i just want to give you an idea of How long i've been listening to.
Speaker 3: Guarden line do?
Speaker 5: Do it do? It now and watch out of.
Speaker 3: Those nematodes oh, my gosh Old. Do glenn you're, DATING yourself. I.
Speaker 5: Know uh my quick, question though WOULD be i wanted to get your opinion about what you think are the best mosquito REPELLING plants i can place around my.
Speaker 3: Patio area i've got.
Speaker 5: All right i've got a list, of lavender, Basl mint, chrisanthrain's lemongrass alim, sage, catnip, rosemary GERANIUMS and i don't know it's just say as a peppermint plant, or Now but i've got that on.
Speaker 3: The, list well there's pepper pepper mint as, a mint the ones that have a centru seed kind. Of smell the lemon grass is an exact sample. OF that a copper canyon daisy is another example of that kind of. Strong smell those will keep the mosquites off. Of them but let me just make a point about mosquito. Repellent plants it's not like you put a plant on the coffee table outside and everybody sitting around doesn't. Get mosquitoes the mosquitoes don't like the land on, that plant and if there's a little bit of something drifted in through, the air they may not. Like that but it doesn't work as well as it's promoted. To work but mosquitoes do like to hide, In foliage so if you got shrubs around, the house that's where they're going to spend the day. Times hiding and so if you had a plant that they didn't like the, smell of they didn't want to land on, that plant then it would be beneficial in. That way but ultimately you're going to need to be using mosquito dunks to control. Stagnant areas and then the Folks at pestbro's have the mosquita buckets that you put around and those really make. A difference so just some kind of caveat there for the. Mosquito, plants okay, very good, thank you, all, right sir thank you. Very much appreciate that we're going to go now to both. OF them i tell, you everybody it was raring to go when we got through here with, A guest Ellen In. Southwest houston welcome To.
Speaker 9: Garden line, thank you, thank, you skip. GOOD morning i have a very very old. Oak tree that is the bark is not looking good. At all it's got some looks like holes.
Speaker 6: In it i've.
Speaker 9: Already had to take one, limb OFF and i need someone that could come take a look at it and SEE what i need.
Speaker 3: To do, all right do you have a pin or paper? HANDY there i, sure do. ALL right i want you to write down this number seven to one three six nine nine two six sixty three seven one three six nine twenty six. Sixty three That Is Affordable Tree Service Martin spoon. Moore's company when you, call them you're going to Talk to martin's mom telling me heard about On. Garden. Line uh and they can come out and, examine it see what's going on with, those holes if anything needs to, be done and, tell you, you know tell you what's going to take to get perfect and they cover.
Speaker 9: Your, one great THAT'S what. I needed and one. More question my egg plants went from beautiful green leaves to, milky white AND so i started spring kneem oil. On THEM am i too late?
Speaker 6: To do that.
Speaker 3: Milky white like to have powdery mildew, on them almost like there's, a white very. Very fine knee oil will control. Powdery mildew but the earlier you catch it, the better because. You don't you don't fix a leaf that's already. Been infected it's the damage will have already, been done but you shut it down right where. It is and, knee oil you would need to do it periodically in order to prevent new spots from. Breaking out and the high humidity and mild temperatures are what powdery, mildey loves and so you would need to. Do that there are also products that go into the plant and prevent, future infections but the knee oil is an organic option that. Will work you're just going to the first sign. Of it go ahead and spray the.
Speaker 9: Knem, oil, okay, great well thank you.
Speaker 3: So, much okay. THANK you i appreciate. Your call let's, see here, we're oh we, Got time we've got time to. Do this let's go now out to. Sugar land uh and we're want to Talk. To DESAI am i saying?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 17: Right, desire, yes, yes yes thanks for answering. MY phone i have a vegetable PATCH and i was away for a few days and lots of grass and breeds are growing in, that PATCH which i hate to take, it OUT but i had to do that. Boring, job now after, the rain it was easy for me to take out all. The, weeds now WHAT should i put on that soil so that it would be, you know it would not be easy.
Speaker 6: For the weeds.
Speaker 17: To grow what kind of mults or whatever you want to suggest which is good for?
Speaker 6: The, vegetable also you know maybe? Something?
Speaker 16: Organic yes maybe?
Speaker 3: Something, Yeah GOOD well. I decide so there's there's two kinds of ways weeds are. Getting down one is from seeds and any kind of a mulch that blocks the sunlight. Prevents that the other kind or plants that have the perennial and then come out out of, the ground and Like a bermuda grass as, an example it can you can pull all of it off the surface that you see and then it just comes back out of the. Ground again and mulch won't stop that because it has the energy to push up through The mult so if you're dealing with this, first kind any good, THICK mulch i would probably put it about three inches the smaller the multch, particle size, the denser it blocks. The light, you know if you get, a big, chunky mulch you're gonna get some light in between those. Mulch pieces it kind of reaches. The ground but, a smaller finely ground mulch is going to give you. Better coverage and if you have a, chunky malt you just have to make it. Thicker DEEPER maybe i have to be three inches or more to do it with a, chunkier mulch but THAT'S what i. Would do. That's organic and whenever you need, to plant just pull the mulch back. And plant don't get rid of the. Old mulch it's it's going to be composed and it's going to. Be fine you don't happen to take. A newspaper do you a print copy of? A? Newspaper subscribe do you take a newspaper at?
Speaker 5: Your?
Speaker 3: HOUSE no i. Don't, know, NO yeah i know most people that that's how it. Is, nowadays boy back when we, took newspaper you could put four sheets a newspaper down or six and wet it with a hose and then throw something pretty on top of it, For MULCH and i mean it would be like three or four months before that newspaper started breaking down enough and it would give you a long term. Weed control but even just mulch, is good just melt.
Speaker 17: Is good what type of mulch do? You recommend any, particular brand any. Particular, type yeah.
Speaker 3: So you're down in The sugar, land area, down there and you're not far away from a Place Called. Sienna mulch It's, in siena which Is, south yea the Way.
Speaker 17: OF houston i need to go there one of, These, days yes.
Speaker 3: You do but, for now all you gotta do is go to the website and you can find out everything you need. To know And it's siena multch. Dot com they are, closed today but they'll be open again tomorrow and let them. Provide you they can tell you what the mult is In. SUGAR land i think they may even deliver that. Far up you just have to talk. To them they they do about.
Speaker 17: TWENTY months i.
Speaker 6: Keeps staying within twenty miles. They, deliver yeah we'll talk.
Speaker 3: To them talk to them and see telling me you talk to me on guarden line and and see what they can do. For. You uh i've got to take a. Break here but was that was that it on? Your, questions, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: Thank you we're.
Speaker 3: Good all, right now you know On, GARDEN line i don't charge, for advice BUT if i help you grow, more vegetables you got to bring half of them and give them. To, me okay THAT'S all. I NEED oh i got. To them okay.
Speaker 8: Of?
Speaker 3: Them there, ALL right deci thank you for colingists. This morning, thank you.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Bye bye there, you go. ALL right i. DON'T know i gotta, keep TRYING right i was. You listening it's just, a joke tongue in cheek right up his. Father's day it's beIN a. FATHER'S day i used to when my kids were like six years old up to, ALMOST ten i could own the room. With jokes and after that the eyes began to roll and the heads begin, to shake and they just. Walked away i'll. Be back good to have you back.
Speaker 4: With.
Speaker 3: Us folks we are. We are we're finishing up our last half hour of the day here On. Guarden line if you'd like to give me a call seven to one three two one two KT r h seven one three two one two KT. R, h listen summer. Is, HERE okay i don't need to tell. YOU that i also don't need to tell you that in summer it gets. Blazing hot and if you think it's, hot outside you have to go at me your attic one hundred, and fifty one hundred and. Sixty degrees it can reach up there in. The attic where does that? Heat, go well it's, radiating everywhere including into the ceiling of. Your house and when we're talking about trying to cut down on air, conditioning bills when we're talking about trying to reduce wear and tear ON our, ac unit you need to Know About Arctic. Insallation, Solutions Now Arctic insulation solutions give you. A Website It's arctic houston. Dot COM and I said arctic because it's spelled, arc tic Not aartsa arctic. ART arc i can't Even talk arctiecuston dot com eight three, to, two five, eight six twenty eight. Ninety three they cover the Area from berkshire all the way Across, the baytown all the way Up in willis Down. To galveston this whole region, down here they'll do foil radiant barriers that'll drop your artic temperature about thirty degrees. Or, more. Right there they can do fiberglass insulation and all other kinds of insulation if you. Want it the most economical way is to do blown fiberglass gets you a GOOD thick r thirty eight value covering over the surface of the floor of. Your attic they can. Do that, in fact if all they got to do is go up there and blow a little insulation and to get it up to a good, thick level they can just do that in a few hours and you're. Done now they also do solar. Attic fans these. Are cool they're, solar powered not your nickel, on electricity. Solar powered whenever it gets to eighty five degrees or more and seventy five percent humidity, or more they come on and they move a lot of air fifteen hundred cubic fee per minute to make sure your attic is. Properly ventilated helps cut down on mold and. Mildewing issues whatever you need to keep things cool. Up there to save you money, up there you got to call eight three to two five eight six twenty eight Ninety Three Arctic insallation solutions or go to the website Arc tic houston. Dot com let's go out Now, To patterson texas and Tuk. To Susan, hey susan welcome to.
Speaker 6: Garden line, hey skip good morning And Happy. Father's day.
Speaker 7: Thank you question, UH huh i have a question about.
Speaker 6: A weed i don't know what.
Speaker 7: It's called it's got a. Compound leaf i'm kind of nerding, out here but. It grows it produces a root that runs KIND of i guess you'd, say parallel like laterally rather. Than down and they're all along that route that's up new, little WEEDS and i was wondering what THE least, i know there's probably NOTHING organic i can use, on That but I'M guessing i need a systemic.
Speaker 3: For that is this is this in, Your. Lawn susan.
Speaker 6: Some of it's in, the lawn but it's mostly. Flower beds.
Speaker 3: Can you describe the shape of the leaf? To me.
Speaker 7: It's it has a LOT of i guess you'd say cuts. IN it i mean it's it's it's not like an oak leaf that's. RELATIVELY smooth i looked. IT up i found compound leaf that was as CLOSE as i. Can find but it's.
Speaker 6: Got a lot of.
Speaker 7: Little edges i've seen it out in the, roadsides Too so i'm guessing it's either a native or some sort of an infore kind.
Speaker 6: OF thing i.
Speaker 3: Don't, know, okay, well uh if it's a it's a broad leaf. Either way and for a broad leaf, weed control there are a number of different products that will. Control those if you go onto My website Gardening with skip, dot com there's a Publication called hobicides, for skips skips weed wiper and forget the weed wiper part, of that just the herbicides list takes each category of weed and gives you options for what we'll control, that category and so you'll find some suggestions. On there once our temperatures get up in the upper eighties to the, low nineties a lot of the effective products a trimac kinds of products are one example of those combo products that work. So well but once we get up in those temperatures the, low nineties they can start to really weaken and Damage Or saint. Augustine lawn and if they're in a flower bed and there's any broad leaf in the, flower bed they'll kill, those too just like they kill. The weeds so they have to be very careful how you. Apply those there's one Product, called celsius like the temperature celsius and when you, Apply, it yeah when you apply it comes in. Little packets it makes one gallon, of spray which is usually more than enough when you. Apply it it can even be in the low nineties and it's not going to hurt. Your LAWN and i like that. About IT but i mentioned the herbicides for the. Weed wiper if you've got these weeds growing amongst, desirable plans you can make a little homemade weed WIPER like i show you how to, do online and you can apply the product directly to the. Weed leaves it's two sponges that you space and it comes together.
Speaker 7: Doing THAT because i don't want, to kill, you know anything else that's, AROUND there i would just dab it on the.
Speaker 3: Individual, Things yeah so you don't need the weed wiper in, the lawn but in the. Flower bed but it's. All free it's all online on the website Gardening with skip. Dot com go check. That out but the list of products is. On. There, yeah now if you're not using it on, the lawn you don't need to worry. About celsius you can get trimach or any of the other PRODUCTS that i list on. That, publication.
Speaker 7: OKAY but i thought you said that celsius was for the.
Speaker 6: Hot WEATHER did?
Speaker 3: I misunderstand celsius is for when that weed you're describing as in your lawn and you want to kill, the weed but hurt. The lawn we use celsius when the temperatures because. It's, safer yeah, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all, right awesome thank you.
Speaker 7: So Much.
Speaker 3: Thanks susan appreciate. The call you, take, care sure thank you have. Good, weekend alrighty you were listening To guard line seven one three two one two k T. R h seven one three two one two k T. R h i got. A break we're coming back for the. LAST segment i got room for a call or to seven one three two one two k T. R, H Alrighty Happy. Father's day dad's. Out there we're about to wind this. Show up you have time to run out and get Something At ace hardware store on earlier today talking about the eight billion things that dad would Love From. Ace hardware so not. Too late there, you've been you. Have been that is a public service we offer here From. Garden. Line, listen uh thanks.
Speaker 16: For.
Speaker 3: Listening day it's been great to have you. WITH us i got time for. One call if someone is really quick with the fingers on. The dial seven one three two one two k T. R h seven one three two one two k T. R h Visiting With dan SNYDER from u night, to five or, just yesterday as a matter, of fact we were talking about some Things and dan just. On me, he said, you know you don't need to talk about night fash products. This morn just talk about the fact that the armed forces folks who, served us really deserve our appreciation and thanks. And honor, you know you think about all the gifts we enjoy in, this country the freedoms that, we enjoy the things we take. For granted, You know i'm looking at the protests, going on, And hey i'm not getting, political here just hang. With Me but i'm looking at the protests, going on and there's a lot of strong feelings about that on both sides of. THE deal i. GET that i, Get THAT but i want to tell you one thing nobody can disagree with is they get to do that because over the decades and more than decades now of, this country people have been willing to step in the gap and provide for us the protection and the freedoms that we. Now ENJOY and i want to say thank you to everybody who has either served in the military or the families of the those who, have served and certainly in the case of those who've given the ultimate sacrifice for the things that we. Now enjoy, you know whether we agree or disagree about things in, this country whether we like or don't like things that are going on in, this country we do know that we have freedom and we get to enjoy the life that. We live we get the privilege to be able to say we don't like something because of people who have paid those kinds. Of sacrifices and just on behalf, Of night foss myself and we just want to offer that appreciation out there and that recognition and just pausing a moment to remind ourselves again why it is that we get to do the things that we do and enjoy the things. We enjoy certainly on This Nice father's day being a prime example for those of you who are Interested In plumerius plumeria Is the hawaiian. Lay, flower Okay the hawaiian you get off, the plane or at least the, tradition goes you get off, the plane they put this big necklace of flowers around your. Neck Right. That's Plumerius frid japanee is another name. For Them The plumrius Society Of america Here. In houston they are going to have their show and Sale, Next saturday june twenty first DOWN On nasa road One, In. Seabrook texas just head DOWN To Nasa ray if you go down, forty five you, turn left, you know, going out well you have to exit the right anyway you get, the idea go over toward. The bay it's at The Clear Lake Bay Area. Community center it's right THERE On, nasa roadway easy, to Find Clear Lake Bay Area. Community center it's gonna be from nine am to, one pm so you got four hours of. This now it's hosted By The pulmara Society Of. North america there will be showcasing a lot of the local, plumeria growers and there are a lot of. Them, here okay you can Join The pulmia society if you would like to do, that online you can go i mean on. Site there you can just join. Right there they're gonna have raffle tickets for a chance to win some really highly sought. After plumrias you know how it is with A. Plant society you've got you've always got some things that are rare and new and cool and hard to, come by and that's the ones we got, to, Have right that's how we are as. Plant, people well if you're interested in, purchasing camellias learning, excuse, me Plumerius, purchasing plumerius Learning, about plumerius here's. Your Chance, Next saturday june, twenty first nine am to, ONE Pm nasa, Road One Bay Area. Community center put that on. Your, CALENDAR now i know it's nine, to one but don't forget to listen To. Garden line if you're going to leave, before nine we will allow. An absentee just turn it on in. The car that's all. We. ASK anyway I. Love, plumerius, beautiful beautiful cool plant really. Unusual too that's a topic for a whole other. Day, perhaps well you are listening To. Garden line i'm, Your Host, skip richter and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a. BEAUTIFUL landscape i want to remind you That when i'm no longer on, the air which starts in about a minutes from now, or less you can let all week listen to pass shows Of garden line on THE ktr. H website go Find, garden line go to all the past shows are posted. Right there you want to make, it easier go to my website gardeningwith skip dot com and right up at the top on, the right it says listen To. Garden line you can listen live there or you can listen to past. Shows there, either way you can also get your iHeartMedia app that is a red heart and a. White background it's real distinct and listen To garden line there live shows and. PAST shows i keep telling folks that one of these days somebody's gonna call me from their garden because they're listening To garden line On the iHeartMedia app on the phone out in, the garden and they're going to send me a picture from the garden of some bug they saw that they want, identify it and we will Have garden line live from your garden. From there That's what i'm. Talking about it's, real, convenient, easy easy easy. To do but thanks for being. A listener check out. My website in, The meantime i've got a number of things that we've put, up there and still working on getting some other things up and posted onto. The site, for example if you were to go To the Gardening, with skip It's called gardeningwithskip. Dot com that's, the website and you look at all, the publications you will see all of the new things that we've. Put up the herbicide products for the, Weed wiper I've already i've already told you. About that that's. Up there there's an article on. Nuts edge you got nutgrass in the garden and you really want to get rid, Of it i'll tell you how to. Do it, it's simple but you got to, be, diligent. Diligent diligent it's not a. One off you do not get rid of nuts edge, Without, Deciding okay i'm going into BATTLE and i ain't coming back until the, enemy's gone and that enemy. Is nutsedg it tells you how to. Do it you got nematodes in, the garden got a publication. On that you've got, woody weeds maybe, poison ivy, maybe peppervine maybe hackberries coming up in the, fence, line whatever the woody weeds of your landscape are of a publication on how to, control them and. IT works i had, a, big old giant yopon that had sprouted volunteer, back THERE and i was clearing it OUT because i was gonna plant some flowers in. That AREA and i just, in fact that's the picture of my yopon stump and what we did. To it and it has not. Come back it was fast cut. IT off i DID what i recommend in the publication. To it it's gone. Works well makes, it easy easy to do a publication on lawn caro one. Oh one another helpful one lawn care one oh one goes into the basics, of, mowing watering and fertilizing and weed control, and aerration and it just makes it, real simple makes it easy. To understand that is the secret to a successful lawn by the, way, mowing, watering fertilizing, weed. Control aeration those kinds, of tips especially those. First, three, mow, water fertilize the more often you mow at a, good height don't Grasses Like saint augustine aren't made to be golf. Course greens you need to get that blade, up there mow, it regularly and then when, you water water deeply. And INFREQUENTLY now i know we've been. Getting rained nobody wants to talk. About watering. That's fine wait till. Next week it'll be time, again probably and then, fertilizing moderately and we tell you what to, use today when to. Use it it makes it easy. To, do remember the best week control is, a, good dense. Healthy lawn that's something that you. Can. CONTROL well i hope you have a wonderful week out there in. The garden go visit some of. Our sponsors by, THE way i know you think sometimes, it's, like oh he's talking about that. Sponsor again every sponsor On garden line is there helping you listen To. Garden line there would BE no, tv show there'd be no radio show without somebody making sure it's on the air so you. Can listen it's free to listen To garden line thanks to the fact then we've. Got sponsors and my sponsors, are handsome they're. ONES companies i believe. IN companies i know the products and know. They're good you can, trust them And so i've had people before that we didn't take On garden line. As SPONSORS just i have a standard on THAT because i WANT when i talk about somebody for you to know you're going to get good stuff when you, go there, good service, good products and. So on thank our sponsors for you being able to listen To guard line and me being able to be here up to you next week