Speaker 1: Side for True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 2: The story is true, sounds true?
Speaker 1: No, it sounds made up. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Parry and Shannon present Crime. All right, this is a warning. This is a pretty violent story. This is the story of Catherine Knight and just to let you know how it ends, she was the first woman in the history of Australia to be sentenced to life in prison. She's she had severe issues from go.
Speaker 1: Can I have some nice music to start this story?
Speaker 2: I don't even know what I don't even.
Speaker 1: Know what's music. It started off nice, just like every relationship. Catherine Knight and John Price seemed to be the perfect couple, bubbly, charming and adored by each other's children. But the relationship quickly descended into chaos as Katherine stabbed John thirty seven times into capito. Well it started nice, bubbly, charming and adored.
Speaker 2: I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's back it up, all right, please shall we?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: She was born Catherine was Can I get back my nice music? Oh? Catherine was born and raised in Moore. It was a dysfunctional family which one isn't which saw her mother Barbara cheat on her father Jack with his coworker and friend, Kenneth. It's just kids stuff, Bob. She had seven She had seven siblings. She was a twin and oh, this is really dark. I don't know if I can.
Speaker 2: She was abused.
Speaker 1: She was abused, Yeah, by several family members. It's you cut the good music. Yeah, no, actually, no good parts of this story anyway. Apart from her twin sister, the only person she was Catherine was close to within her family was her uncle Oscar Knight, who was a champion horseman, by the way, and then he killed himself.
Speaker 2: She got into high school, she was known as a loner. She was known as a bully actually that would prey on the younger kids. She assaulted at least one boy at school with a weapon, was once left injured by a teacher, but it turns out that the teacher was simply defending themselves against her. When she left school at the age of fifteen, she couldn't read. She couldn't write. She got a job as a cutter in a clothing factory.
Speaker 1: She was promoted pretty remember that pr Yeah, she was promoted pretty quickly. Given her own set of butcher's knives, in fact, which she kept strapped to the ceiling above her bed. Guys, guys, quick little psa on life. If you hook up with a woman, a girl, anyone, and they've got a set up butcher knives strapped to the ceiling above their bed, No sex is worth that.
Speaker 2: She This job that she had as at the local abbatois what's an fancy word for slaughterhouse? Okay, that's that's how she was making money and stayed in that job until she was eventually put behind bars. She married back in nineteen seventy three, first first marriage. He was a heavy drinker. They met while they were working at the slaughterhouse before they tied the knot in a drunken ceremony a year.
Speaker 1: Later, Catherine's mom said to the soon to be husband at the ceremony, you better watch this one or she'll e fin kill you, stir up the wrong way or do the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: In year f that's very similar to what my mother in law told me on my wedding day.
Speaker 1: Is it really on their wedding night, Michelle, excuse me not, Michelle, Catherine tried to strangle her husband yeap, later explaining it was because he fell asleep after only having sex three times. Guys, never mind are the red flags?
Speaker 2: Is that what you're saying? I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean that's a real ding dong, isn't it? Is that a plus or a minus? Like your wife's pissed off at you because you only want to go out it three times.
Speaker 2: In one of their fights, she smashed him in the head with a frying pan because he got home late after a dart competition when he reached the finals.
Speaker 1: The detail of this story is incredible now is.
Speaker 2: None of this is the crime that put her in jail for life without parole. But then again, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Like, that's sad. Arrived home late from a darts competition after he reached the final, so he didn't even win it.
Speaker 2: He didn't even win.
Speaker 1: That sucks.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what it was had he come back with a trophy.
Speaker 1: This is like when you come home from fantasy camp.
Speaker 2: And all I am is sore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are in the middle of True Crime Tuesday and we're talking about Catherine Knight. Where we left off. Well, Catherine had a rough go of things right out the shoot there as well. She had an awful childhood, sexually abused by different men in her family throughout her childhood, troubled relationships without men or with men throughout her adult life, many many, many red flags. None were heated. There is a book written about Catherine, by the way, it's called Bloodstains, and it all came to a head in a murder in two thousand and one. But up until that point, she was a bully. We talked about how she beat people up at school. She tried to strangle her first husband on their wedding night because he didn't want to have sex more than three times. Later, fractured his skull with a frying pan, killed another partner's dog, and stabbed him with a pair of scissors. A former detective says she was a horror movie in the making, to which I say, that's a pretty solid horror movie up until that point, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She eventually begins an affair with a John Price before nineteen eighty eight, when his marriage ended. She later moved into his house in nineteen ninety five. He was aware of her reputation. I'm going to repeat that, he was aware of her violent reputation and decided to look the other way.
Speaker 1: Sometimes crazy women there the craziest.
Speaker 2: He refused to marry her, and she tried to force him by apparently recording him videotape him the stuff that he had stolen from work, and then sending that videotape to the boss. He even said at one point he was so worried about her he told his co workers, if I don't show up to work tomorrow, call the cops. Guess what. He didn't show up to work the next day.
Speaker 1: Neighbors found the officers the next morning. This was March first, two thousand. Why well, there were blood stains on the couple's front door. Police show up, They go inside, and they find this guy not as lucky as the first husband. No, they find his body mutilated inside the home. She's found passed out nearby. Why would you fall asleep? She took a bunch of pills.
Speaker 2: No, no, no him, She stabbed him at first while he was sleeping. You already know that what you're living with, and you know you've just told everybody because you took a restraining order out on her and told your coworkers this might be the end of it. Can you fall asleep?
Speaker 1: Sergeant Robert Wells was one of the first on the scene. He says, by the time I got there, Catherine was leaving in an ambulance. She had taken enough pills, not enough to kill her, but enough to make her sleep. Sergeant Robert Wells says, I walked inside. I walked inside and saw the human skin pelt hanging up, completely intact, in one piece.
Speaker 2: Again. Remember she worked at a slaughterhouse, so she knew how to do this.
Speaker 1: John Price's decapitated and skinned body was lying on the floor in the lounge room. We found his head. It had been boiled and cooked in a pot on the stove. There were a number of slices of rump taken off of his human rump, baked in the oven with some vegetables, and put on plates with the name of two of his children on them. Good night, everybody. Needless to say.
Speaker 2: She was sence life in prison without parole because they don't have the death penalty there in Australia. She appealed. She appealed five years later, lost and appeal thankfully.
Speaker 1: I should use different seasoning. You're right, I should not have made that meal the way I made it.
Speaker 2: During the sentencing, the judge said the last minutes of his life must have been a time of abject terror, as they were a time of utter enjoyment for her well.
Speaker 1: And he had no idea. I mean she didn't skin him. Did she skin him alive? Did she cut off parts of his rump for the rump roast when he was still alive? Well, do we know that the cause, the manner, the whole. How did he die?
Speaker 2: I would have said the stab the thirty seven stab wounds to multiple times.
Speaker 1: Are those stab wounds aside from the stab wounds that go along with getting skinned.
Speaker 2: I'm afraid you're asking specific questions that make you weird. We can just pull back and say he.
Speaker 1: Died, Well, it's I mean, it's a matter of science. It's in the.
Speaker 2: Autops what it is. Forensics is what you're concerned.
Speaker 1: But I mean, if you're stabbed thirty seven times, it's a horrific way to die. But that's not getting skinned alive and watching part of your you know, your your rump being cut off for the oven with some parsnips,