Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Did see a medical story.
Speaker 3: And we've said this multiple times there are no great shortcuts when it comes to staying healthy. Researchers in Denmark say they have developed a drug that can mimic the effects and benefits of basically running a marathon without moving a muscle. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, I know that you get it maintains that this drug called lake Lake, although I don't know how they say it in denmarktay it produces the same health benefits as running a long distance at a very fast clip.
Speaker 1: Does it hurt your knees as well?
Speaker 2: No, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: But it's shown in labrats to flush toxins and strengthen the heart.
Speaker 2: Usually after exercise.
Speaker 3: It goes into your body, goes into a period of inflammation where the levels of lactate and ketones spike. They said, in addition to triggering the least of the appetite suppressing hormones, it the flushes fatty acids from your bloodstream, which is good for you. The problem is you don't get all of the muscular benefits, right, musculo skeletal benefits of doing those things, but might as well just take a pill.
Speaker 1: I guess well, Milton's intensity is rebounded, is just shy of category five. So let's get right to it with what's happening.
Speaker 4: Time four.
Speaker 2: What's happening.
Speaker 3: Helping us cover the story from Florida is News Nation's Brian Enton.
Speaker 2: We find him in Tampa.
Speaker 3: That must look kind of like a ghost town right now, ahead of ahead of the landfall of Hurricane Milton.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 4: That's a good way to describe it. I think a lot of people listen to the evacuation orders and I'm just out on the street right now, and it's crazy here. I don't think I've ever covered a hurricane where there's so much debris everywhere. I mean, I'm talking like debris ten feet high on almost every block where I am in Gulf which is right next to Tampa. Because they were still recovering from Hurricane Helen. It had flooded. Everybody was getting rid of all their furniture and carpet and drywall, and us all out on the street. And to think that now they're going to be dealing with another hurricane, and this is all just going to fly all over the place. It's going to be really difficult.
Speaker 1: So what is your plan. We heard from the mayor of Tampa saying if you stick around, you will die. As she's talking, of course, about the evacuation zones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look where we are on some of these barrier islands right off of Tampa. You definitely have to leave. Come probably tomorrow about this time because the water is going to come up. I mean there's no question about it, ten or twelve feet, so there would be nowhere to stay here. I mean, it's going to be.
Speaker 2: A bad situation.
Speaker 4: So we're going to go farther inland to the east to at least, you know, ride out the worst part of the storm. A lot of people have evacuated though. You know, when we were driving over here for Miami, the traffic headed e to the mind me Fort Lauderdale area is just bumper to bumper. I mean, car after car after car on a three lane highway of everybody just trying to get out of the way of Milton.
Speaker 3: A lot of politics has been made about this. Whether Governor DeSantis accepted a phone call from Vice President Harris or whatever happened between them, that's not being talked about, right I mean that's for people in like Los Angeles who have other things that they don't care about. I mean, we're not dealing with a disaster that's bearing down on us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think here in Florida people really care about that stuff right now. It's more of just like people are nervous. That's the way I would describe it. It's a weird feeling. Like I was just the grocery store right before it shut down, getting some things, and you can just tell there's a nervous energy people walking around, just kind of like with his days over them. I think because they just went through Helene again, they lost so much and knowing that this is going to happen again. And even like we were at the gas station earlier and there's lines of people waiting for gas, very focused on trying to fill up. And I mean, like you said, some of those just political talking points are probably you know, going viral on social media and some other states, but if you're actually here in the middle of it, like, no one cares about that stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nearly sixteen percent of gas stations in Florida had run out of fuel as of late this morning. We just saw on the on the network news just the absolute gridlock getting out of there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was, I mean it was. It was a weird feeling driving into the place that everyone was evacuating, because we had no problem. I'm going eighty miles an hour in the one direction, and all you see in the other direction is people just stopped. And they just had some police cars that were driving around where we are. They have like a recording that plays on a loudspeaker on top of the car, basically just telling everyone, you know, now is the time mandatory evacuation. And again, I think because of Helen people and even in some of these little CEA villages where normally they've kind of pride themselves on staying, it doesn't feel like that this time, like people really are leaving.
Speaker 2: Oh well, stay safe, Brian, thanks for taking time for us today.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: You've met Brian Inton there again reporting from Tampa for US and for News Nation.
Speaker 1: I'd be terrifying you get to the gas station no gas because.
Speaker 2: You didn't plan ahead.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: That's the thing is that we've known about this for a while now and to people learning that you got to plan ahead.
Speaker 2: A quick local story that made headlines today.
Speaker 3: One person died, six others taken the hospital after a hazmat incident at Men's Central Men's Central Jail, downtown LA this morning about eight o'clock this morning. According to the LA Fire Department, all of those involved said to be inmates at the jail. They were overcome by with they said was a toxic substance, but they have not yet said what that toxic substance was.
Speaker 2: Maybe some overdose of some kind.
Speaker 1: But all right, Gary and Shannon will continue coming up next to why did we look so much older in the past? I mean not we, but them, the ones that came before us, right.
Speaker 3: At this age, at this age, when they were this age, Why did they look so much older?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I always attribute it to me not being a fully grown adult, like mentally.
Speaker 2: Mentally, what would that have to do with your physical appearance?
Speaker 1: Because I think like I still dress like a child.
Speaker 2: Oh well, there's that.
Speaker 1: So it's so to you easy sometimes today, No, thank you.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Well, there is a meme that makes the rounds every so often. It's that group shot of the cast of Cheers right from the eighties, with the ages of each actor displayed on the meme, and every time it comes around, people are like, what it's damning. These people look to be middle aged, but they're actually in their twenties and thirties.
Speaker 2: The other one is from the movie Kakoo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one is also just as jarring when you see how old those actors were compared to what they were supposed to be and what I It's interesting because you would think I'm fifty one. I'm fifty one, and I would think that other people who are fifty one would tend to look like me, just just just based on what I look like in the mirror.
Speaker 1: But when I think of my dad at fifty one, he looks a lot older than you do right now. Is it because I was so much younger when my dad was fifty one, or is it because I've known you for so long and you kind of just all look you look the same.
Speaker 3: I'm locked in it twenty years ago. I'm locked in mid or early thirties for you. I guess lifestyle choices are the first obvious difference we tend to be a lot more diet conscious now.
Speaker 1: Smoking again, smoking can run.
Speaker 2: Smoking's a big deal.
Speaker 1: It's a huge deal. Like I look younger when I not Maybe not now, but like, fun't know, six or seven years ago, I looked younger in my late thirties than I did in my twenties when I was smoking regularly. Like, it's a huge difference. We know somebody who looks a lot older than they are because of the smoking habit that still exists.
Speaker 2: I don't know who that is, Yeah, you do, I have to think about it.
Speaker 3: But doctor Sebastian Bejma is an aesthetics doctor and said the skin of a heavy smoker at the age of forty resembles the skin of a non smoker at seventy. Right, Ah, smokers have dull skin that appears gray, often due to restricted blood float. Sounds awful and because of the physical aspects of smoking and the damage that it does to your skin. Smoking was a lot more common in the last few decades. In the nineteen forties. This is amazing to me. In the nineteen forties, half of all adults in the US smoked cigarettes. How by the eighties it was down to thirty five percent, which is still a lot. And then a few years ago it hit the all time low of Americans thirteen point seven.
Speaker 2: Those who didn't smoke.
Speaker 3: Forty five fifty sixty years ago were still subjected to the secondhand smoke, high levels of it. And then, I mean before before, right around when I was in college. I can't remember when it was they you know, smoking was outlawed in bars and restaurants in the state of California, most of them.
Speaker 1: And then the leaps and bounds when it comes to skin health, right, wearing SPF, vitamin C, things like that. There are people that are more apt to get cosmetic surgery little bits here and there than there were back then as well.
Speaker 3: They also said, they pointed out to the picture of John Ratzenberger. Of course Norman Cheers, not normal cliff In Cheers, And they said that one of the things that made those guys look older at the time was the receding hairlines.
Speaker 1: That's not it for me.
Speaker 3: And because hair transplants have become more common and popular procedure in recent years, I can't.
Speaker 1: Believe that Doc was fifty eight in this picture. Doc, who wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Doc?
Speaker 1: Isn't that the manager's coach.
Speaker 2: Coach who's doc doc from Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, maybe coach was fifty eight in that picture. Coach fifty eight.
Speaker 3: I mean those guys are then their mid thirties. Ted Danson's thirty, George Wentz thirty four. Shelley Long is that her name? No, Shelley, Yes, Shelley Long, thirty three. Jeff Right, Carla was thirty four, Carla, I thought I thought Carla was fifty four.
Speaker 2: That is insane.
Speaker 1: That is crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm not feeling I'm.
Speaker 1: Not going to smoke any more, Cigarett.
Speaker 2: We're going to get into True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Coming up is True Crime Tuesday, the chilling true story of the dating game killer. There is a new Netflix film by Anna Kendrick called Women, Woman of the Hour that's coming out. All about this. The trailer is chilling.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: There is a chilling new film called Woman of the Hour, based on a true story of a serial killer, and that is where we begin True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 2: The story is true, that's true.
Speaker 4: No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon present True Crime.
Speaker 1: So Woman of the hour.
Speaker 3: She's like you said earlier, Anna Kendrick's directorial debut, and she is an aspiring actress who goes on the dating game.
Speaker 2: At one point she booked a show.
Speaker 3: I guess you could say this is the way some early actresses, actors actresses got into the business.
Speaker 2: Number two, what are girls for? Why does this feel like a trap?
Speaker 3: Foreboding look of weirdly looking man.
Speaker 2: I've been on the show since nineteen sixty eight. The one thing I've learned is.
Speaker 5: No matter what words they used, the question beneath the question remains the same, and.
Speaker 3: The makeup artist gives her the advice to always ask the question which one of you will hurt me?
Speaker 1: Wow? The program was heavy on innuendo. The host introduced this contestant, Rodney Alcala, as a successful photographer who got a start when his father found him in the dark room at the age of thirteen. Fully developed throughout the episode, this guy enthusiastically responds to the bachelorette's suggestive questions, likening himself to a banana, saying that nighttime is when he gets really good. He ended up being the most eligible suitor. The problem is, whoever did a background check. I guess we did not do anything like a background check on this guy before they put him on the dating game. He was just tall, dark, and handsome. There was no background checks to these Well, what do we know about him? He was born in Mexico. He and his family moved to la when he's eighty and listened the Army at seventeen. Discharged in nineteen sixty four following a nervous breakdown allegations of sexual misconduct. Graduates from UCLA with a fine arts degree in sixty eight, but by the time he goes on the dating game, he had already killed two people. That's something that you'd want that background check for, and this wasn't.
Speaker 3: These are particularly gruesome crimes that this guy committed. In nineteen sixty eight, a stranger called police after they witnessed him lure an eight year old girl into his Hollywood apartment. When they found the girl, she was barely alive, having been beaten sexually assaulted. She actually spent almost a month in a coma because of the injuries. He had already taken off and in fact went on the run. Changes his name, moves to the East Coast, gets a job in New Hampshire of all things, as a camp counselor. In nineteen sixty seventy one, the FBI added him to their list of the ten most wanted fugitives, and some of the campers recognized, excuse me, his picture in the post office. So he's ultimately arrested, convicted child molestation, spent seventeen months in prison before he was released on parole.
Speaker 1: Months after he's back on the street, he strikes again, this time assaulting a thirteen year old girl after he offered her a ride to school. He gets back under back in custody, back behind bars for two years, but by nineteen seventy sixties, free once more. That's when he goes back to la. He calls himself a fashion photographer. He starts committing a string of gruesome murders and lands on the show in seventy eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this specific episode, the bachelorette was Cheryl Bradshaw, and this, like I said, this aspiring actress, and he participated in and like you said, won the chance to go out with Cheryl Bradshaw. A year later, he's arrested for a murder of a twelve year old who'd been found near her home in Huntington Beach, and her friends told law enforcement that this strange guy had approached them on the beach before she vanished and has to take pictures of them. When sketch artists put a picture of this guy together, Rodney Alcollis parole officer recognized him and immediately turned him in. Now, from this point for it again, he'd already been in jail for a molestation assault. He's found guilty for the murder of the twelve year old, got the death penalty, successfully appealed twice, resulting in three different trials, and in two thousand and three, in the midst of that third trial, one of the prosecutors decided to go back through the evidence and they found a storage locker that he had owned for years prior. Yeah, you know what's in a storage locker, whether you mean it or not, serial killer mementos.
Speaker 2: And DNA whew.
Speaker 3: DNA linked Rodney to four other murders that had occurred in the nineteen seventies. So in twenty ten, I mean this we're talking about the original crime goes back to nineteen sixty eight. It was only twenty ten, three decades later, that Orange County jury convicted Rodney Alcala on five counts of first degree murder, sentenced to death, given another twenty five years in twenty thirteen because he pled guilty to two more murders, and then charged again in twenty sixteen after another DNA hit connected him to the nineteen seventy seven death of a twenty eight year old woman.
Speaker 1: Ps circling back to that dating game The Bachelorette that this guy was deemed to be the most eligible suitor for told the producers after the show, I'm not going out with this guy. There's weird vibes coming off of him. He's very strange. I am not comfortable. Ladies, trust your gut well and listen.
Speaker 3: LA is no stranger to serial killers, right, LA is no stranger to game shows.
Speaker 1: Like LA and Seattle serial killer Ville.
Speaker 3: And there is a connection between those serial killers and those game shows.
Speaker 1: And he's not the only one, while not the only murderer to go on a game show. We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFA forty.
Speaker 1: Good news for the Biden administration at the Supreme Court today, the Justice is signaling they are likely to uphold the administration's move to regulate those ghost gun kits. Those are the ones that allow people to assemble the weapons at home while getting around existing regulations. But based on the questions that both the liberal and conservative justices asked in those oral arguments, Biden administration may secure a majority that would leave those rules in place.
Speaker 3: Always a little friction adds some viewership to the Major League Baseball playoffs. Dodgers Padres tonight just after six o'clock first pitch. I don't think anything will happen. I believe cooler heads will prevail. Deeeler's not going to throw at Machado's head. As much as you want it to happen, it won't happen. Philly's Mets play before that in the National League Division Series.
Speaker 2: They play just after two o'clock first pitch.
Speaker 1: We're in the midst of True Crime Tuesday. We were talking about the dating game killer, because I mean, he's been in the news for like you said, when they finally got him and put him away for a long time back in what was that twenty sixteen, Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 2: Actually the last conviction was twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Right, so we remember the story. It's going to be the subject of a Netflix movie coming out on October eighteenth. But he wasn't the only serial killer to go on a game show. What's the deal there? Why are they attracted to? This is the ego of the narcissism and some degree of celebrity.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent of forensic clinical psychologist Rod Hovet said, they have this narcissistic core.
Speaker 1: They being serial killers, psychopaths.
Speaker 3: They believe they are God's gift to humanity, and of course they'd want to be on a game show. Nothing would ever be off limits because they're going to They're already going to walk into the room and believe that they're smarter than anybody there.
Speaker 1: So here's something weird. You've been on a game show and I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do you think I'm going to show up on this list eventually?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I should be on this list now that you don't know.
Speaker 1: Here is the rest of the list. John Cooper was on a game called Bullseye. He was from Wales. This was a British game show. If it doesn't sound familiar, it was in nineteen eighty nine. This was after he murdered two siblings in nineteen eighty five Nice, following the loss on the game show, he murdered a couple while they were on vacation.
Speaker 3: By the way, to give you more proof of the narcissism, he went on and said, the only thing malignant narcissists to ever think is I'm the smartest. I'm going to play to get away with it, and if they ever catch me, I'll think myself out or talk myself out of it. That was the psychologist describing why this guy would do.
Speaker 1: That, and also with that case, the cops were able to make their case thanks in part to that show because a still of his appearance on the show matched the police sketch from nineteen eighty nine to perfection.
Speaker 3: You remember the old to tell the Truth Sure. Metamorphosis of a Criminal was a book by Edward Wayne Edwards, convicted criminal said I didn't wear masks during my robberies because I was ed Edwards master crook, and I wanted the world to know it. He had served time for armed robbery's unlawful interstate flight to avoid confinement, even was on the FBI's ten most wanted list in nineteen sixty two. Released on parole in sixty seven, and in nineteen seventy two, appeared on an episode of To Tell the Truth.
Speaker 1: On the show, a celebrity panel had to decide which of the three contestants was really the convicted felon.
Speaker 3: He was arrested again by the Way in July of two thousand and nine and confessed to five killings, murders in nineteen eighty, the murder of a couple in seventy seven, and the nineteen ninety six murder of his foster son.
Speaker 1: The serial killers they don't discriminate. They kill people in the family. Outside of the family, everyone is fair game.
Speaker 3: There was a real estate developer guy named Ryan Jenkins was the prime suspect and a murder of his wife after her body was found in a dumpster in Buena Park.
Speaker 1: Her teeth and her fingers were missing. I remember, I do too. They used her breast implants to identify her. I think this was a Steve Gregory special uh prior Eric Leonard her death.
Speaker 3: He was a contestant on a couple of competitive reality shows. One of them was Megan Wants a Millionaire to try to woo this model who wanted to marry somebody rich and then what.
Speaker 1: An awful concept.
Speaker 2: It's a stupid I mean, I know it.
Speaker 1: Plays out everywhere. Pretty girl wants rich husband, but to celebrate it and hold it up as well a goal.
Speaker 3: The other TV show that turned out to be fake The Joe Millionaire, right, and then he was on the reality show I Love Money three after he got married. He constantly phoned his wife to check on her whereabouts during that by the way, and after her death, police found letters that he had detailed his jealousy and his possessiveness.
Speaker 1: Then this was the one recently that I recalled. In twenty nineteen, a guy Timothy named Tim Blefnick was on Family Feud. Now, his wife at the time wasn't one of the family members that was on the set with him that teamed up with him. But at one point Steve Harvey asks Tim, we talked to one hundred married people, what's the biggest mistake you made at your wedding? And Tim responds, Honey, I love you, but I do that was his business. I do mistake. They were still together when the episode aired in twenty twenty. He files for divorce the following year. Of course, it's contentious. A week before their divorce trial is said to start. Becky's dad finds her killed in the home. Nice the writing's on the wall.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 3: A guy one thousands of dollars on Jeopardy in the eighties, guy named Paul Curry. He apparently killed his wife via nicotine in nineteen ninety four and they didn't arrest him until twenty ten.
Speaker 1: Nicotine. How does that work? How do you kill someone with nicotine? Let me google it. Hey, if a pack, if I get in trouble, you put a patch on him over us.
Speaker 2: Wait, if you get in.
Speaker 1: Trouble, you think I killed you with nicotine? No, I'm just saying. If somebody's searching through my computer to find out what I was searching for. If someone turns up dead, this was in the name of research, don't forget. In just about an hour, John Coblts will be interviewing Donald Trump, where we have to make sure that the TVs are not on the Mets game. First pitches too, eight so he can focus.
Speaker 3: I don't even think we have a DVR in here that he can record it and then start it.
Speaker 1: Who wants to watch a recorded game? I hate that. I hate the concept of a game. I always watch the game. I always watch the game live.
Speaker 3: Even if you're going to my mother the President, you're just gonna yeah, Okay, John Cobelt.
Speaker 2: Shows up next. We'll see you tomorrow. Stay dry, everybody, blessings.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time I'm on demand on the iHeartRadio app.