Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty And this is KFI.
Speaker 2: Bill Handle here on Monday morning, September twenty three.
Speaker 3: And some of the stories we are.
Speaker 2: Looking at, well paper or plastic right and here in California and new law kicks in saying those double strength plastic bags they quote recyclable bags at the supermarket gone because they're not recyclable and people don't use them recyclable, believe they throw.
Speaker 3: Them away, they go into landfills. So done.
Speaker 2: Okay, a story about the wildfires. And I know you've heard about wildfires. We've talked about how dangerous they are, but I want to dive into it a little bit and give you a little bit of science. Here the full the first weekend of September, the Line fire, twenty thousand acres in size three percent contained a resid in San Bernardino County. On the news describe the sky looking exactly like a nuclear warhead had been set off. And at that point, okay, twenty eight thousand acres in the line fire already released more energy than a dozen atomic bombs. And just like nuclear blasts can create their own weather, so can wildfires.
Speaker 3: When they're big enough. There are four main.
Speaker 2: Compounds that come out of one of these wildfires. First of all, carbon dioxide, right that long term carbon dioxide, global climate change, that really doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Short term, that doesn't really affect us.
Speaker 2: Short term smoke, Oh yeah, that's toxic ingredients, carbon monoxide, methane, benzene, a bunch of others. Then there is heat, which is kind of obvious, but it's important. And then there is water vapor, which usually you don't think of being connected. And putting all that together, man, you've got a mess on your hands. A plume of smoke, which is the most dangerous to your health, can extend hundreds even thousands of miles.
Speaker 3: The smoke block scatter sunlight.
Speaker 2: That's how you get the run the red sun effect, and that actually is dangerous to us because that means we have a lot of smoke.
Speaker 3: We're breathing a lot of smoke.
Speaker 2: The next byproduct is heat, again obvious, but look what happens with heat. Okay, the air rises, right, Hot air goes up and cold air comes in to fill the vacuum. So what happens when you blow on a fire. It heats up. It's like bellows when you start a fire in the fireplace and you start with a little kindling and you blow on it to bring oxygen, so it really heats up.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what happens in a big, big way, right.
Speaker 2: The heat rises, the cold air comes in, or colder air comes in at the bottom, more oxygen. It gets hotter, and then that heat rises and more oxygen comes in, and it.
Speaker 3: Is a circle.
Speaker 2: And it is horrible, and that can produce what's called the firestorm. And that's when the winds surrounding the fire directed inwards and it has a feedback effect and there it's oxygen coming in stoking the fire. More oxygen coming in, stoking the fire, and it keeps on going until it's its.
Speaker 3: Own weather system. Oh man, when it goes the other way.
Speaker 2: By the way, when the fire comes in and it's spinning out, that means embers are flying out, and for miles away, the hot embers cause more fires, and firestorms can create so much heat the firefighters can't get near it.
Speaker 3: So during World War Two we saw what that did.
Speaker 2: When you had carpet bombing Dresden, Germany, Japan. The damage much more from the fires than the initial bombing. It was those fires that cause most of the damage.
Speaker 3: Then you have water vapor.
Speaker 2: And here's what happens with water vapor, and this I didn't know until I read this. You have the water vapor released by combustion, because any vapor is cooked away.
Speaker 3: And it goes into the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: So now you have smoke particles in the air produced by the fire, and then something called condensation nuclei form, vapor forms around these, and now there are droplets, and what you have are hot storms, and those storms can create lightning. That's why you see lightning at some of these fires. You go, how is that possible? We had fires that were happening with lightning. It was one hundred and fifteen degrees outside. That doesn't make any sense. Well, again, it's its own weather. Now, the good news is these water droplets actually end up falling and they help with the fire, but not enough to overcome the heat the smoke, especially when a fire is going crazy and spreading like well, wildfire and fires, as we know, when they're going up a hill are about five times more dangerous in that they are quicker, they are more intense, and.
Speaker 3: It is just the god awful mess.
Speaker 2: Now we don't have too many firestorms here in southern California. Because I guess there is a silver lining on that cloud is because we have a lot of narrow cares, we have strong prevailing winds and those actually help with these firestorms.
Speaker 3: But it is not fun. And by the way, since we.
Speaker 2: Have climate change, it's going to get worse, and that's really problematic. More smoke, more firestorms, more weather events.
Speaker 3: None of that is good news. And can you stop it? No, you can't stop.
Speaker 2: Fires from being ignited. That just is impossible. There are too many arsonists out there. There are too many accidental fires started when you have catalytic converters and mufflers that go crazy on the side of the road and all of a sudden brush starts burning up. You have too many accidental fires. And the fires now are far more dangerous. So is there an answer, Yes, long term climate change, but it's not going to happen in our lifetimes.
Speaker 3: So here is the bottom line.
Speaker 2: What I suggest you do to save your home is get tons and tons.
Speaker 3: Of fire insurance.
Speaker 2: Oh wait a minute, you can't get fire insurance. I forgot, So let me give you a takeaway. Your house is going to burn you are going to die.
Speaker 3: Okay. Now, deep fakes.
Speaker 2: Deep fakes are all about deep faking on the Internet and creating these scenarios that, frankly depending on how good they are.
Speaker 3: Making stuff up on the Internet.
Speaker 2: There's some new laws that have just been passed dealing with the election cycle coming up and holding these major platforms accountable.
Speaker 3: So let me give you some examples.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump shared deep fakes of Taylor Swift and the Swifties, implying that they supported him. There was one image that basically Rift and follow the old military recruitment posters Swift pointing to you and a caption saying, Taylor Swift wants you to vote for Donald Trump. Remember those wants you to sign up Uncle Sam pointing at you during World War Two. That was sort of a takeoff on that. Now that to me is almost parody. I don't think that something like that is a problem. I really don't. I mean, does anybody think Taylor Swift actually did that?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. There are some subtle ones that.
Speaker 2: I think can do some real damage, but I think people are overreacting as to what is going on with these deep fakes.
Speaker 3: Then you had another one, but by the way.
Speaker 2: That one almost immediately led to Swift publicly endorsing Kamala Harris, although she was going to any way just a question of time. There was an AI generated image from the Trump campaign where Trump is surrounded by black people to demonstrate his support among black voters. So, you know, I don't even know why anybody complains about them, because you can legitimately get any group, under any circumstance, on any venue supporting you. Right, you can't get what Trump can't get fifteen twenty black supporters. Kamala Harris can't get a bunch of white supremacs saying that you know, she supports them or they support her. Although I don't know what she would do that, but that's easy to do to do that. And then another image that Trump shared on X. He reposted that, and that is Harris speaking at the DNC surrounded by communist flags. Now, come on, do you really think that's going to affect people?
Speaker 3: Are people that stupid?
Speaker 2: Must targeted Newsome by the way, in a post on x implying that based on the signing of this bill, Newsom signed a law to.
Speaker 3: Make parity illegal.
Speaker 2: And parity is always legal because paroity no one really believes. And most of these deep fakes are so patently ridiculous and non believable. My favorite one, and this was not AI generated deep fakes.
Speaker 3: This happened to be in.
Speaker 2: A cartoon in Penthouse and I think it was Jerry Folwell, there was a cartoon of him leaving an outhouse us having sex with his mother.
Speaker 3: A little offensive, don't you think? And he sued. He sued for defamation.
Speaker 2: And what the court held was and he was asked this, by the way, by the defense Penthouse defense, do you think anybody actually believes that you've had sex with your mother in an outhouse? Well, no, that's ridiculous. Therefore, where's the defamation? Do you really believe that? At the DNC when Kamalis spoke that there were Commonist flags that were flying around the stage, do you really believe that? Well no, not really so the big the examples are pretty blatant parody.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you could stop that. Well, what about Bill? If this is just covering AI.
Speaker 4: You know, I've been doing photo retouching and modification and things like that since I used to do it by hand without computers. If I generated something in Photoshop, that's a parody.
Speaker 3: How is that any different.
Speaker 2: Because I think it's a question of publication. I think the Internet and what you can do with AI is so much more extensive and immediate and much more massive that there's a genuine fear. We are frightened while AI is going to be the future. I think people are legitimately frightened of what AI can do.
Speaker 3: And this is here's an example.
Speaker 2: And by the way, this bill is only having to do with the election cycle. It's not across the board. It's that AI AI generated deep fakes. And by the way, some are so subtle that you really don't know that they're AI, and they just are meant to.
Speaker 3: Mo the needle a little bit. I have four fingers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well those yeah, but people but here's people don't notice for fingers, they don't notice it and they do their job. So it's so it's not done well, all right, So AI has to be tweaked a little bit, so people have five fingers. But there is very sophisticated propaganda and it really is coming in from Iran, from Russia, meant to simply influence. I think that's the real fear, not communist flags flying at the DNC.
Speaker 3: I don't think that is a big issue.
Speaker 2: And now it is time for do they have a case with Wayne and me? And i'n't talked about the rules in a while, so let me set this up. Wayne does research on cases that are either pinning or have been decided, usually by the appeals court, and it is the case of first impression. I have no idea what the case is about, having generally not heard about it as you are hearing it for the first time.
Speaker 3: So Wayne Resnik, let's start.
Speaker 5: Okay, Now, in the unlikely event that your daughter Barbara is listening, Barbara go away. You don't want to hear this case because it involves one of your heroes, Brett Farv and Bill. You remember the controversy over Brett Farvin the use of some charitable monies and government assistance monies for untoward purpose, not untoward purposes, but unauthorized purposes, such as building a volleyball stadium at the University of Southern Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Remember that was in there where his daughter went and she was on the volleyball team, and he built that stadium with.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say allegedly only because he has been very litigious and I don't want to get sued with some COVID era assistance funds temporary assist for needy family funds that came into Mississippi and ended up some of it to being used on this stadium.
Speaker 1: So anyway, and.
Speaker 5: There was another incident where he was involved in a charity and the apparently there was money for speaking that he didn't do, which he paid all of that back before Mississippi sued him for any of the financial stuff. In any event, he is a football great, would we agree, absolutely?
Speaker 1: And also a football great. Uh Shannon Sharp.
Speaker 5: Who is also a Super Bowl winner and all of that, who of course is on a show with Skip Bayliss called Undisputed, where he said talking about this situation after an article was published in Mississippi Today summarizing the situation, said one the problem I have with this situation, You've got to be a sorry mofo to steal from the lowest of the low because that assistance money was meant to go for poor people. Also, Brett Farv is taking from the underserved, and Brett Favre stole money from people that really needed that money. Brett Farv sued Shannon Sharp for defamation saying, you are damaging my reputation, you are accusing me of crimes, and I want a lot of money from you, and I want you to shut up.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: The lower court said, you know what, those statements are just hyperbole. They're rhetorical hyperbole, and they're protected by the First Amendment. And mister Brett farv. You have no case. And mister Brett Farb wasn't happy with that decision, so he took it up to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. What say you, does he have a case against Shannon Sharp?
Speaker 3: Okay, let me ask.
Speaker 2: Just for a moment, I think you said it, but I want you to RepA and that is he paid all the money back and it ended.
Speaker 3: The case disappear. As far as the authorities were concerned.
Speaker 1: Well, there were never any criminal charges.
Speaker 5: There were never any criminal It was a civil lawsuit by the Mississippi Department of Human Services.
Speaker 1: Okay, the use of this assistance.
Speaker 3: Money, Okay, what happened to that case that got resolved?
Speaker 1: He paid a bunch of money.
Speaker 3: Back, Okay, So that's fine, all right.
Speaker 1: At the time, Just so you understand, at the time, this was.
Speaker 3: A live case, Okay, that was going on from the state.
Speaker 2: Okay, So with that, if he mentioned, if the commentators the football player, as a matter of facts, that he stole money, he took money.
Speaker 3: That is used for underdeserved people.
Speaker 2: Although there's a defense that you can always use a volleyball net for fishing, and you can. There's there's a whole world of that, but that's in a different direction. And the accusation of criminal activity and the accusation of beyond that underserved people. Even though bet Brett Favre is a public figure, of which the rules are, it's much harder for public figures to argue defamation. I think enough was there where defamation does fly, especially the fact that he's a thief, the fact that he's a criminal. I mean, there was a I don't think you can say that and get away and argue First Amendment. Well, the court went the other way, is what you're saying. The court went the other way and doubled down.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: First of all, First of all, they specifically said that when Shannon Sharp said Brett Favre stole money from people that really needed that money, the court said that was rhetorical hyperbole because no reasonable person would believe that Shannon Sharp was saying that Brett Farv went into the houses of poor people and took things from them.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, well you can't. So the only way you can steal is to go into houses. You cannot steal institutionally. You can't steal money from programs that are used to help the poor.
Speaker 3: That is insane for the court to say that.
Speaker 1: Now here's the thing.
Speaker 5: They also said, whether or not it's hyperbole, is not really where we're gonna come down anyway, because we're gonna say everything he said was based on what was in the Mississippi Today article.
Speaker 1: He was relying on publicly reported.
Speaker 5: Information informing his statements and opinions. He did not bring his own alleged information about Brett Farv into the situation. He did not say or intimate that he had special secret information that was causing him to say what he said. He was relying on the article, and apparently if you rely on an article and say a lot of stuff, you have more protection than if you're just talking based on nothing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I just don't I don't get it.
Speaker 2: I really don't get it, truly, because I'm sorry, my phone is going off.
Speaker 3: I didn't turn on silent okay.
Speaker 2: So therefore, if an article comes out in whatever publication arguing that you Wayne have engaged in inappropriate sexual conduct, I can say as a fact, Wayne has sex with goats.
Speaker 3: Factually, that's what.
Speaker 1: The article said.
Speaker 2: If the article did say that, Let's say the article accuses you, say, there's an investigation. There is a someone assuing you for having sex with their goat, okay, and you have ruined the value of their champion goat because you have stook the goat?
Speaker 3: All right? Can I then? Am I not allowed to sue?
Speaker 5: Come on, I'll give me if you read that article and then you came on the air and said, oh, that pervert.
Speaker 3: Well I understand. Had he said said had you.
Speaker 5: Would be protected probably that's a great writer of the article.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't necessary?
Speaker 2: That is that's insanity because of you take an allegation and you make it fact just because.
Speaker 3: You read it. Now, if he had.
Speaker 2: Said, uh, Brett Favara was accused of this, that's very different than he is a pervert or he is a thief. All right, We're gonna that side. Don't know where the court went. Let's take a break. Sex with goats, okay? Wayne should be ashamed of yourself.
Speaker 1: Sorry, all right.
Speaker 3: We finish up.
Speaker 2: With Wayne Resnik on a Monday, as we always do do.
Speaker 3: They have a case.
Speaker 5: Guy goes to a fair at the high school. He is part of the camera club in the town and he's got a new lens and he wants to try it out. So he climbs up on one of the slides and he takes a few pictures of this ride they have that has a big mural on it. Two minutes total of the amount of time that he was taking pictures.
Speaker 1: And then he's just walking around the.
Speaker 5: Fair when a cop comes up to him and says, what's your name? And he says why, And the next thing you know, he's on the ground being handcuffed, other cops coming over to help subdue him, although he didn't he wasn't really subdued because he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Fighting, and was ultimately.
Speaker 5: Arrested for resisting arrest. So he assumes the cop and says, excuse me, you have prist of all, you had no reason to even come up to me, and number two, you can't arrest me for asking why.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: The cop says, hey, here in this is in Louisiana. Here in Louisiana, you have to identify yourself to a police officer. You don't have to give them a piece of identification, but you have to identify yourself.
Speaker 1: So when you.
Speaker 5: Said why, that's like refusing to identify yourself.
Speaker 1: And then his lawyers say, oh, you only have.
Speaker 5: To identify yourself after you've been arrested. And I said why before you arrested me? So number one, that doesn't work. Number two saying why is not refusing to identify myself. I would like to sue the But Jesus out of you, does this guy have a case against this cop?
Speaker 2: Oh? I have a couple of questions. Number one or a statement. Number one, this is Louise and I immediately start saying, this is Louisiana. Number two and I just this is just a sidebar. But maybe you know that is his name?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 5: No, it's Michael Holmes. Both it's an abbit in Costello routine.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the.
Speaker 1: Judge, yes, he's very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to argue, and this again, I questioned Louisiana.
Speaker 3: I am going to argue.
Speaker 2: That a cop can't just arbitrarily come up to someone and just say, what's your name? Was there a complaint. Did the cops say that he thought he was photographing inappropriately even if he wasn't, But just going up to someone and saying, what's your name? I don't think cuts it. Number two asking why that, I don't think that's that's a refusal. I think the word why. All the cop has to say it to him is because and give him almost any reason or say uh no, that would be it. I think he I think the cop has to say, here is the reason why, and by the way, why you're you know, I like the way you're dressed today, and so I don't I gotta tell you, I don't see it other than it's Louisiana.
Speaker 3: That That is what I'm.
Speaker 2: Thinking, is that it's the fifth district you know of of appeal.
Speaker 3: So you know, there's my answer. I don't think I think he has a case.
Speaker 5: Yes, as crazy as you thought the court was in the first case, you will love you will find the court to be imminently sensible.
Speaker 1: In this case. He's got a big, fat, juicy case.
Speaker 2: Absolutely all right, We'll do this again next next week, as we always do, Yes, sir, in case say thirty that's it, guys, we are done again. We start tomorrow morning five am with wake up call Neil, Neil and I jump aboard until nine and Cono and and are Cono and an. This is kf I Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app