Speaker 1: This is the seventy seven w ABC Mini cast.
Speaker 2: It's the Left versus the Right debates, heavyweight sludfest.
Speaker 3: We're back on the air here at the left versus the right, and I think we need a new category.
Speaker 2: The left versus the right versus.
Speaker 3: The young and the one who really has to deal with this situation right now it's none other than zm the mayor Zorin Mamdani, because in his ranks they have started to talk about his temper, how he yells and screams at people, how he walks around and doesn't talk to people for hours at a time, which I find not even possible. But he is learning what people who take years to perfect this learned, which is if you're going to hire a young staff, particularly over the summer, they are not going to be.
Speaker 2: Assuaged by the way you, as they see it, disabuse them, and what they're gonna do is.
Speaker 3: Take it away.
Speaker 1: Jake, yeahs act doubt. I mean, I'm sure you were the exception to this rule government. I looked at this story, which is a huge story at the end of the week in the New York Posts that mayor Mom Donnie's not a nice guy behind closed doors, and when the cameras are turned off and he treats his staff. I worked in Congress for some years, and I know some of these books. I think that most politicians are generally like this, especially I would say mayors of big cities, especially if they are how do you say it, basically kind of on the radical side. The big story for me that I think is much more of a takeaway is what you're just talking about. This is much more of a takeaway at America today. If you're gonna hire gen Z, employees need to understand this is not the typical young worker of the past. This gen Z even more than the millennial generation before them. You know, Mom, Donnie's a late stage Melodie's almost gen Z himself, he's that young, but he's a millennial. Gen Z is basically you know, twenties and younger, and they have been incredibly coddled, especially when it comes to their emotions. They are not ready for most of the work world, let alone a politician and that type of atmosphere. Working with the you know, basic it's like working with the celebrity. And I think you were probably one of the exceptions to the rule. But you've told us by plenty of times that you lost your temper sometimes when you were governor. And I think that that's fine. I think it's normal. Listen, people are are That's normal. But I think you're gonna hire people in their early twenties right out of college, now, you better be prepared for a much more thins talk about thin skin and much more thin skinned work force. And so the story to me here, Governor is not that the mayor is like this, but that so many people in the staff are clearly leaking this type of story about him because they've had their feelings hurt.
Speaker 3: And he had a couple of months. You know, he wins the mayoralty, wins the election on November the fourth, so he's got a whole two months to put that team together, and probably wanted to put a younger team together because young people are also known for, you know, going the extra yard when they believe in something. And I think he might have thought he was indoctrinating a bunch of young people, and maybe he was. But sometimes people have thinner skin than you think, and you could say a little thing that just you know, angers them, you know, that kind of thing. And now, when I was first elected I was thirty one, so when I hired, you know, a staff, and also a smaller staff because there was a state senator.
Speaker 2: They are about five or six of us.
Speaker 3: We're all about the same age, so in a lot of ways, we all understood each other. And you know, when I got upset about something, it wasn't like rage I felt it was it was disappointment. And I'd lay that out and everybody'd have this say, and some people listen to me and a few didn't, and we moved on. But this is kind of this is unique. And what's even more unique is that it would happen to me or I'm Donnie. I mean, I'm waiting for this to happen to you know, you know, some governor of Illinois or something like that.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, this is the guy who never had a real job either, let alone really had a staff. He wasn't assemblement for a short amount of time. They haven't even smaller staff. This is not someone who knows who it has, has any experience actually leading a staff. So it isn't just about the gen Z workers. But my advice to any elected official is to do what some of the people I work for. When I was an intern in Congress, do which is basically in the office and among the larger staff, be the same person you are with the voters. You're still basically pretend like you're campaigning with them too. And then you have one or two people that behind closed doors you really get into the nitty gritty with although I have to say, and I think you're one of these people also, you know, one of the things I'm most proud of is that what you see or what you hear on the radio and what you see when I do TV of Jake Novak is what you get. I'm the same person in all those different I do not have a different persona in different venues. So of course the best answer is to be a good person publicly, privately and all the time. And temper never works, it really doesn't. I mean, you can take someone behind the woodshed in a different way, but not in not in a way that looks like you've been enraged and you're out of control, you know.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, the candidate for governor on the republic Party, and this is not going to make or break this election, but he was on New York one and I'm having trouble remembering who the reporter was she's been there a long time. It was Honorka Pergament.
Speaker 1: Oh, I used to work there.
Speaker 3: You win the prize.
Speaker 1: I worked there a long time ago, twenty five years, twenty six years ago.
Speaker 3: Wow. So at one point he started questioning her, and she said, wait a minute, mister count executive, this is an interview. I'm interviewing you. I don't need you to ask me any questions. And it He was doing very well up to that point. It really kind of it kind of soured what was otherwise an excellent presentation on this bart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I mean, it's it's not easy to be It's one of the things that you have to work on it. It's not like I was born having this kind of persona. But all I can tell you is this is who I am publicly and privately. I don't have wild swings of rage at anyone. But I mean, to get back to the gen Z situation, I mean, I have two gen Z daughters, and one of them is out of college and has been working now for a year exactly. She was lucky enough to have a job waiting for her entire senior year of college. She's working at a not one of the top three banks, but one of the top ten banks in this country, not in New York, and it's a special program. And there's been times when she's been absolutely overjoyed with the job, and there's been times whence she hasn't been. And I've every time that she hasn't been, I've had to tell her, like, look, do what you can to make the situation better, but don't forget you have a really solid job when most of the kids your age don't understand that you mostly have been mostly happy with this job and you're mostly happy with your day to day life. If there's a three month period in the job when you're doing a different rotation when you're not happy, you have to decide is this worth jettising, jettisoning everything that you've been looking at? And I don't know if there's enough parent and so we're doing that. I just saw something in the Wall Street Journal this week. More evidently we've been hearing the story for about ten years now, but there's even more evidence now that parents of gen z are really getting involved in their kids' jobs, like talking to their bosses for them. What we were hearing these stories when they were going to interview. About ten years ago, stories were coming out from the corporate world that parents were showing up to their kids' job interviews, which is bad enough, but now they're apparently showing up to their jobs, coming with them contacting their bosses. You know, this is there's a lot of you know, there's a lot of reasons for this. This has a lot to do with We've now had more than fifty years of predominant to income households, and I think a lot of parents in America, both fathers and mothers, are guilty about the time they didn't have with their kids, and they have had a hard time basically pushing them out of the nest because they never really had that full time with them in the first place. I think that that's a big part of it. But if you all I can tell you is if you are employed gen Z or if you were a parent of gen Z. But if you're employing gen Z, you need to be prepared for young people who are going to be a lot more touchy and unable to handle very simple things. I mean, I I started in the local news business, my first real out there jobs, not just like something where I was doing it for maybe a year, and you know we're crazy stories. I mean, you know, things not things falling apart, bosses walking out never to return, things like that. And so I'm glad I had those experiences. I never never once occurred to me to call my parents or to leak to the newspaper and call the local newspaper and say, hey, my boss at the TV stations was mean to me. But we have to talk to our kids about this without without being rough. You know, you don't have to be rough, but you need to be honest with them,