Speaker 1: Okay, so get ready to dive headfirst into the world of cybersecurity. We're talking about prepping for the Microsoft SC two hundred exam, becoming a Microsoft Security Operations analyst.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: And let me tell you, this is way more than just building firewalls these days. It's like being like a digital detective, right, We're piecing together clues from all these cyber threats that are constantly changing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this deep dive is perfect for that because we're going way beyond just like passing the exam. We're going to actually be applying these concepts to, you know, what's happening in the real world. You'll see how this stuff from the SC two hundred material actually translates to what someone's doing every day defending against like real cyber threats exactly.
Speaker 1: And like, one thing that really jumped out of me when I was looking at this was this whole shift right from like the old way of doing security, perimeter based security, to what everyone's calling zero trust. And it kind of makes sense when you think about it, right, Like in the past, it was all about protecting the castle wall, but nowadays these attackers are like what finding tunnels, they're flying over the walls. It's a whole different game now.
Speaker 2: It's a great analogy, and honestly, that old perimeter focused model where you're just relying on firewalls and VPNs, it's just not enough anymore, especially in a world with cloud computing, everyone's working remotely, bring your own device, right, You can't just assume that everything inside your network is self and trustworthy anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you can't. You just can't, so enter zero trust, right, It's like instead of blind faith, it's verify and then trust. Every single access attempt has to be validated. I'm talking users, devices, applications, no exceptions.
Speaker 2: And that's where it gets really challenging for security analysts these days, because they're no longer just watching the perimeter. They're dealing with this constant flood of data from every corner of the network. It's like trying to, I don't know, drink from a fire hose and figure out which drops of water are actually going to hurt you.
Speaker 1: That's intense and that's got to be where tools like Microsoft Defender for Endpoint or MD come in, right. Yeah, Because from the stuff you shared, it sounds like these solutions are using AI and all this behavioral analytics to kind of make sense of all that data and highlight the truly suspicious activity exactly.
Speaker 2: Instead of relying on like static rules that attackers can pretty easily bypass, MD is looking at normal user behavior, okay, normal device behavior. It figures out what's normal, and then it flags anything that deviates from that norm makes sense, that's how you catch those insider threats, right, or those compromised accounts that might totally you know, go under the radar of your typical security tools.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And it's not just about the devices themselves, right, what about all the different identities like employees, partners, even outside vendors who are constantly trying to access the network. I mean, that's a lot of potential ways in for an attacker.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, because even if your devices are locked down tight, a single compromised user account that's all it takes. That's like a golden ticket for these guys. Yeah, and that's where Microsoft Defender for Identity comes in MDIA. It's like having you know, a security guard posted right at the entrance to your active directory watching for anyone trying to sneak in with fake credentials.
Speaker 1: So it's like that extra layer of protection specifically for.
Speaker 2: Active director exactly exactly an early warning system, you could say, because we're talking about those sneaky tactics, right, the ones attackers use to get a foothold account enumeration, root force attacks, pass the hash, they even try to create those golden tickets that give them access to everything.
Speaker 1: And speaking of sneaky, I was looking at the deployment guide you shared, Yeah, and it seems like setting up BENDII is not exactly a walk in the park, is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, it's not just plug and play. You can't just install it and forget it, right. You got to tailor it to your environment. You know, understand your active directory. Traffic patterns involved, it's involved, But honestly, the insights it gives you they're worth it. Because it's analyzing user behavior, network traffic, security logs. It can pick up on those really subtle clues that might mean someone's trying to blend in with legitimate activity.
Speaker 1: It's like being able to see through a disguise.
Speaker 2: Almost exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got MD on the endpoints MBI watching over active directory, but what about the cloud. I mean, so much of what we do is in the cloud now Office three sixty five sales force. That's a whole other world that needs protecting.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, in traditional security, it kind of falls apart in the cloud, you know, right, But that's where MDCA comes in Microsoft Defender for cloud apps. Oh, it's like your security watchdog in the cloud, basically monitoring how these apps are accessed, what data is flowing through them.
Speaker 1: And one thing that really stuck with me from the material you shared was this whole concept of shadow it, which sounds kind of terrifying to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big problem.
Speaker 1: Employees using cloud apps that it doesn't even know about. Yeah, that's like a security team's worst nightmare. Right.
Speaker 2: It creates these blind spots, you know, and you can't protect what you can't see, right. But MDCA it shines a light on those blind spots. It can see those unsanctioned apps, figure out how risky they are, and then give you the control to do something.
Speaker 1: About it, so you can actually what block them.
Speaker 2: Block them, Yeah, implement stronger access controls, whatever you need to do.
Speaker 1: It's like regaining control over runaway train. There you go, Okay, so we've got our defenders in place d MDI, MDCA. But how does an analyst actually make sense of all this information? Where does it all come together?
Speaker 2: That's where Microsoft Sentinel comes in. It's a cloud native sign security information and event management. Okay, but forget the jargon for a second. Imagine a giant, high tech security command center.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: All the alerts, logs, threat intelligence from all your tools, they all come together in Sentinel.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about collecting data, it's about connecting the dots right exactly.
Speaker 2: Instead of just looking at individual alerts, you see the big picture.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: Sentinel pulls in data from everywhere, not just your Microsoft stuff, but your firewalls, servers, anything that's talking security in your environment. Then it uses AI and machine learning, and this is where it gets really cool. It starts correlating events, spotting anomalies, and showing you the really critical stuff, you know, the things that might have slipped through the cracks otherwise, so.
Speaker 1: You're not just like, you know, drowning in the sea of data. You can actually use Sentinel to cut through the noise and see.
Speaker 2: What's important exactly.
Speaker 1: That's pretty awesome, Yeah, but you know it's even cooler this whole thing with threat hunting, right, actively searching for threats that might have already slipped past your defenses. Yeah. Yeah, that's next level stuff. It's like you're not just a detective, you're like a proactive digital detective. Right.
Speaker 2: It's a different mindset. Right. You have to assume breach and start digging from there.
Speaker 1: Right, and you're not dusting for fingerprints. You're writing like special queries to try to uncover these traits of bad.
Speaker 2: Activity exactly, and thankfully, Sentinel gives you a really powerful tool for that, which is KQL w COUSTO query language. Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wondering when KQL is going to make another appearance here, because it's more than just like a civil search bar.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, way more. It's like KQL is how you unlock the real power of Sentinel for threat hunting.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's super versatile. You can use queries that other people have written the security community, they share them, okay, to find specific attack techniques, or you can even write your own custom queries right based on your environment, what you're worried about, So.
Speaker 1: You can actually have a conversation with your data basically, like you're asking it very specific questions to try to find these hidden patterns and anomalies. You got it, But wouldn't you need to really understand how attackers work to be able to write effective queries like that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, That's why this job security operations analyst. It's not static. You always have to be learning up with the latest trends, how attackers are doing their.
Speaker 1: Thing right, and then you have to translate all that knowledge into these queries. Okay, that's how you find the really important stuff, you know, those little indicators that could mean a breach.
Speaker 2: It's like in those crime shows. They'll zoom in on some like tiny detail in a photograph exactly, and then suddenly the whole case breaks wide open.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to put it. And remember that scenario we talked about before with the weird DNS queries. Yeah, yeah, imagine we're not just reacting to an alert this time, we're going hunting for similar stuff that maybe we missed before.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we go into sentinel, we start writing some KQL queries. What are we looking for exactly?
Speaker 1: Well, we could start by looking for patterns in those DNS requests, things that look like, you know, data leaving the network, maybe command and control traffic, anything, suspicious, requests that weird, hours, requests for domains that look shady, even stuff like DNS tunneling, which is how attackers try to sneak past your defenses. And because Sentinel has its tentacles and everything, you can start matching up those DNS logs with other suspicious stuff like login attempts that MDI flagged, or file activity from MDE.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you're connecting the dots, okay, and maybe you find out that those DNS queries are coming from a machine that's already acting weird and it's talking to a known command and control server. Oh, that's when you know you've got a real problem on your hand.
Speaker 1: Red alert, red alert, right.
Speaker 2: And that's where your incident response plan comes in. You've got to contain the threat, fix the vulnerability, and figure out how to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Speaker 1: So it's constant cycle.
Speaker 2: Constant cycle, detection response learning. It never ends.
Speaker 1: Wow, this deep dive has been really eye opening. We've gone from like the basics of zero trust to threat hunting with KQL. It's a lot, Ye is a lot, but it's clear that you know, being a Microsoft Security operations analyst, It's not just about passing a test, right, You've got to be proactive, always be learning, and use your skills to defend against an enemy that never sit still.
Speaker 2: That's the truth.
Speaker 1: Well, there you have it, another deep dive complete and for everyone listening, I hope this is giving you a better sense of what it takes to be on the front lines of cybersecurity these days. Absolutely, until next time, stay curious, stay vigilant, and keep diving deep