Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfi.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield, Michael Garfields joining.
Speaker 3: In the high Tech Texan.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is here with a high Tech Texans.
Speaker 3: It has to make life.
Speaker 2: Easier, new technology, and Michael Garfield has something you might like.
Speaker 4: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio add now You're high Tech Texan Michael Garfield.
Speaker 5: Last week into June of twenty twenty five, which means we're almost halfway to halfy hour for the year of twenty twenty five. Not sponsored by the way, but whatever you're doing, however you're listening and wherever you're listening to this coming up two hours of just great bs and just really informative things I do. Thank you for tuning in. Michael is the name Michael Garfield. Feel free to follow along with the Bouncing ball at social media, high Tech text and Hi g h T E c h T e x A N. Also the phone number here the last week checked. Even though it's a podcast for some of you may listen to it. We are operating where we do take your phone calls to answer your questions, give you suggestions. Very interactive by the way, three four six twenty nine texts and that is three four six two nine eight three nine two six Calamrie Calum here is on the other side of the glass. He's pushing the buttons to make my voice come out to wherever you are. And we do thank you. If you're celebrating anything special this week this weekend, Uh, good for you. My youngest turns a quarter century old. I guarantee you he is not listening to it. He's two. Is he influencing everybody on his TikTok at Instagram. But a happy twenty five years on this earth to the young Adam Garfield, the Little Tech Texan. Version three. We continue with what we were doing for twenty three years, and we've got a number of things on the docket for you, starting with guess what's coming up in about a week a week and a half or so, depending on when you're listening to this. That is right, friends, It is another Amazon Prime Day twenty twenty five summer version. Every year they do it, and it's coming.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: They've expanded it. It actually used to be a day. It used to be a Prime Day sometimes in July you know, halfway up the holiday shopping season. Then it went to two days. Recently they got cocky with man, Well, let's just continue to extract more money out of all of our followers and members that we're gonna go three days. You know what, We're gonna get to a week someday, but we're gonna go to four days, folks. It is July eighth, ninth, tenth, and eleven, still a way away. But I've already found some pretty decent sales and deals right now. I will give you a heads up to go ahead and get into the hunt before those days. Those days can be a little hairy, the you know, the websites, web traffic could slow down, and I know they promised to get you there with what free two day delivery if you are an Amazon Prime member, which, if you break it down, really the purpose of Prime Day is well, I have two theories. If you're a longtime listen, I've said this number one. It's a garage sale because Amazon wants to empty out a lot of its warehousing spaces for some items that just haven't sold over the past six months since the holiday season. They just said, let's put it on sale. Let's get out of here. We need some new inventory space for the holidays of coming year. That's one. So you do need to be wary that a lot of the stuff that's on sale it maybe it may just not be a good product. It they just weren't. They're putting a price tag and they're slashing that's right, crazy Eddy, They're slashing deals. So that's one. Number two. Really, the real, honestly reason that Amazon started this they want to They wanted to sell memberships because in many cases, obviously you do have to become a member to shop on Amazon Prime. You got to create an account, and you do if you want something within two days of shipping, you definitely have to be a Prime member. And so a lot of people are Prime members. And you know, I asked this question because I I am an Amazon member, and I only hopped on Amazon maybe three years ago, and some relatively new It's because I didn't think I needed it, and I and as a consumer, I'm going to give you this for food for thought. You may already be a member of Costco, which costs you probably fifty to sixty bones a year, and you may be a Sam's Club, which again another fifty to sixty year more. If you're a business member, you know you can buy and immediately walk into a warehouse location and bring back a number of different items. Absolutely not as vast as Amazon. But you're paying memberships and you're paying subscriptions, and I continually to remind you that how many subscriptions do you have right now on top of your your streaming services or you know, maybe you read some online magazines, online newspapers and everything. Do you really want something else? And I'm not talking to you out of getting an Amazon deal. Maybe I say listen, keep Amazon. And oh, by the way, if you don't use Costco or Sam's or Walmart or whatever, these you don't need that. But just think about it, because some of these deals there could be good. And I'm going to go for some decent ones that I found. But over the next week, week and a half, I know I'm going to hear from a lot of you, certainly on email, social media you have going, heygarth Man, does this does this look right? I'm trying to get a new camera, a new action camera, maybe a new new TV or or something. That's what I can I could talk you down off the off the Cliff Ford so I will go over some of those things. I want to start out with this, and I'm going to tease it right now because we as a it's not just a country, we as a world, uh, which is just not the easiest place to live right now if you were living under a rock, which at some point we may have to get under a rock or in a bunker. Uh. There's there's there's a potential war, uh, firing, cease firing. What's going on, and it's it's unsettling, just to say the least. I try to avoid politics, but over the past year or two, it's just the the the intersection between politics and in technology and what I talk about, they do intersect. So I still try to weigh in with my opinion for more of the text is the political side. But and I'm going to try to tempt that right now. You've got you obviously you understood and you heard what happened last weekend with the attacks that America did, the air strikes on three Iranian nuclear facilities, and the Iran officials, Iran officials, they've warned of retaliation after the air strikes. Something did happen on Monday with what was going on in Qatar or Cutter. But there's something that I am continuing to have my head on a swivel and keep you updated with, and that is the possibility of a cyber attack. And I know I'm going to talk here for about sixty seconds where before we take a break, and I want you to hang on because federal officials and cybersecurity experts they have sent out a warning of increased risk here my words, increased risk for cyber attacks amid the growing attention to what's going on between US and Iran. Right now, there are no specific credible threats against the homeland, but the Department of Homeland Security they warned up low level cyber attacks amid a quote heightened threat environment. So we've got public infrastructure, the private sector could be potential targets. Large scale cyber attacks probably unlikely based on what Iran is attempted before and based on their technology which is in my opinion not nearly as advanced to some other countries out there which would could which could cyber attack. As we take a break, I want you to hang on, give me three or four minutes, listen to some of our wonderful partners and sponsors, go shopping at their stores, because this is why we keep our radio show fr Ee Garf staff free. But when we come back, I'm going to tell you what a retaliation from Iran could look like when it comes to cyber attacks, and more importantly, how can you the consumer protect yourself from cyber attack? Back coming up? Tech, You hanging there like I told you to, thank you patronizing those beautiful sponsors and commercials you just heard. We do that because this iHeart Radio show is fr Ee. We're not charging you any subscriptions. You don't need to be a prime member or anything not as free. And now we do thank you for listening. Trust really all across well several cities across the great state of Texas, Houston, What's Up, KPRC nine fifty am, Dallas Talk Radio eleven ninety in San Antonio, we love you, News Radio twelve hundred WAI. If you're listening on a podcast which we then put it up on our pod at iHeartRadio, thank you for listening to it on the app. It is absolutely free most countries around the world, and as I know from visiting China earlier this year, if you do have a VPN to get you out of China. Yes, you can actually hear US in that country. I do not know if Iran right now is letting the iHeartRadio app entered their internet space. And I say this because I'm continuing what I what I started in the first segment about a potential cyber attack that we as consumers and we as businesses, we always need to concern ourselves with, and especially in light of what happened last week when you know the US, you know, it took out allegedly three different nuclear sites within Iran. Iran to some degree, they you know, sent more missiles over to a US air base in Qatar. But there are other ways other than physical shooting in bombing, and that's the cyber attack. A cyber attack is it's hackers, it's them shutting down the Internet. It's the slowing down our internet space, a denial of service attack for lack of a better term, but that's what it's called in the in the tech world. There is a possibility, and there is a warning and oh, by the way, be you know, watch out for something that US official cyber attask. We are at a risk now. And I've long said this. If you I've done this show twenty three years, and I've listened. I'm always giving tips of how to protect your passwords and how to use a VPN and in things like that. And I've seen companies beef up and secure their IT department, just billions and billions of dollars of IT employees and anti phishing software and spyware and making sure that corporations use VPN. But guess what last week we had one of, if not the world's largest, you know, cyber password hacks that stole sixteen wet billion different user names and passwords. We are always going to be at risk from having our information and connecting online, connecting to our computers, connecting to our mobile phones, and so yeah, there at some point there is going to be more to come. And getting back to my point over here, I have long said on this radio show wherever I go, if you really want to bring people, consumers and businesses to some extent to its knees to a standstill, yes, hardcore military physical action with bombs and whatever, we'll do it. But don't sleep in the fact that shutting down our communication grid, the way that we communicate to get money out of our banks and our ATM and our traffic green light red light systems on and on and on. They shut that down. If that shuts down through a cyber attack, I'll tell you what. We're in a standstill we are. Can you imagine back in the COVID day when there was a worldwide demand that we don't leave our houses, we don't do anything. Imagine we're stuck in our houses. Imagine we had no TV. Imagine we had no Internet, we had no connectivity. Yes, we would be driven crazy mentally, but we wouldn't get any information. We wouldn't know the all clear sign. We wouldn't be able to you know, you know, check on our relatives and our friends to see how they're doing. That could be a possibility now. To be sure, Iran, they do have the capabilities of doing something with cyber attack. I think there was an assessment back at twenty twenty four of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence the country had launched cyber attacks against Israel and a cybersecurity firm here in the NAIs. They found that seven hundred percent spike in cyber attacks after Israel launched a missile strike targeting Iran's nuclear program earlier this month. It would not be the first time the US has faced such a threat, and specifically from Iran, it was back twenty sixteen they was ties to Islamic Revolutionary Guard Core and everything that. There have been potential holes and cyber attacks. I'm gonna get to the chase here, cut to the chase. How big of a threat is this to US Americans? But the threat of disruptive cyber attacks has increased. It is important to recognize that Iran has had the term is mixed results with disruptive cyber attacks. All right, maybe they have done that. And again I'm gonna quote here Google Threat Intelligent Group. Their chief analyst's name is John Holtquist. He gave a quote. It's Iran has frequently fabricated and exaggerated their effects in an effort to boost their psychological impact. However, we should be careful not to overestimate these instants and inadvertently assist the actors. Again, that's from a quote. Okay, smarter people than I. Could they do something that has significant effects? Yes, absolutely they could. What do you do? How can you my lists and the consumers out there? How do you protect yourself from a cyber attack? Well, number one, you need to listen to people well speaking, you know, talking mouths like me. Listen to what the government says. US government works closely with all sectors to keep them informed because cyber criminals often go after end users consumers. So you're gonna go just go on with your lives. But your device on its own, they could be exploited and they could be leveraged. Lots of worries out there. So a few things to protect yourself. Here we go. Number one, be careful of fake emails or text You're not gonna get an email from an Iranian threat person saying hey, click on this link. It may look like it's gonna come from the US Social Security Department. It may look like it comes from the IRS. It may look like it's coming from the toll road. It might look like it's coming from your bank or credit card. They want you to click on a link. It could affect your computer with malware. Still use your names and passwords. I get these things on a semi regular basis. Right there before clicking on a text on an email or a text, who is it from? Do you know the person is from? Generally other than you know two factor authentication. Banks don't send you text pick up the old fashioned phone, get in your car, go to a bank, talk to them before clicking on that link. Also, be careful of telephone calls that appear to be from an authority figure. There's often the cyber criminals are going to try to tell you that you've done something wrong. You're gonna be arrested. Make sure the real number for your bank or make whatever your financestitution. It's in your phone. And if you've see any suspicious activity or unsolicited email or text or calls. Just because I get a call that says White House on my phone, I'm guessing it's probably not the White House. They can actually do that too. Don't pick up a lot of these phone calls less you one hundred percent know it's from Watch your social media accounts too. Hackers may try to take over your social media accounts. They're going to get you to click on malicious links. Okay, don't take the Oh, let's take a quiz on ten steps of how do we can get a better tan this summer. You can go living your life without doing those things. This word manager programs. I get asked about this all the time. Use a password manager program. Don't use the same password for multiple accounts. Change it. I don't care if you change one letter of everyone. Change it. You can use a password manager. It helps you keep track of your password safely. Just Google password managers. There's a lot of reputable ones out there. And also, like I just said, the term two factor authentication. I use it for most everything. Yes, it's a pain, slows me down, and maybe I got it. I've got it today. Where between five to eight seconds right now it asks for a second type of approval. Often it's going to send you a text message with a four five six digit code. Maybe it's an authenticator app. Microsoft has one. I use that to get into my iHeartMedia email account. They do offer more protection than clicking two factor authentication. Even Google Gmail offers it. Other than that, I will keep you updated here on my X account. High Tech Text and high T e C h T E X A N about cyber and potential cyber attacks. Just be vigilant, download as much stuff as you can, keep it on your hard drive, and cross our fingers if anybody has been you know, manipulated, or if you've actually fallen for some of the stuff, tell you what we're gonna take a break. I'd love to hear from you. If you want to call three four six two nine eight three nine two six, that's how you get to meet Michael Garfield right here on the High Tech Textan show. When we come up, I am going to play something for you that is generated by AI artificial intelligence. You don't think AI right now is scary. You are not gonna believe this. I do a radio show.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 5: It is a radio show which then recorded to a podcast. Uh, it's lunchtime here on the weekend, last weekend of June of twenty twenty five. I am a little hungry alas I do have to finish work, and so does everybody here I'm looking at in the radio studio. When I am done, I will swing by Cabo Bob's. I do thank them for the potnaship. We love Cabo Bobs in the Euston area four locations. Check it out cabobobs dot com. And you make your own hacos. You make your own, well, they make it for you. Tell them you want on your burrito. It's not like anything you ever had because the meat alone, they are smoked on what's called the Kamata joe. It's big green eggish if you will. It's like a ceramic cooker. That's why the meats are great. You have your choice of one, two, three, four, five different freshly made tortillas right in front of you. Oh my goodness, I love it. Like the smoky chili, and they got the ancho, and they got the corn, they got the buttermilk flour, and the chips. I say this again every time someone tas comes over. I always have chips, squawking kesa that I bring in at least twice a week from Cobo Bob's. That's right, I do because I'm a host that I'm an entertainer. They're like, where did you get these chips? The double thick crunch phenomenal zero locations in Dallas for of you up there, but Austin location eight or no, I know them. I thinking Austin, San Antonio. You got one two lunchtime, dinner time. They are closed on Sunday. Suck it up, people, you're gonna go hungry that day. But Cabo Bob's love those folks. That's good. Now I'm hungry. Now I gotta keep on rolling. AI. To the best of my knowledge, AI does not come into big play at Cabo Bob's, or they still have actually real great employees, which they do take care of employees. They're back there, they're they're pressing and top, they're pressing the tortillas, and they're rolling the big old Mama burritos, and they're making the chips and everything. But AI has infiltrated many, many other things. And sometimes I've given warnings. Sometimes I say it's inevitable. It is just like that Texas rainstorm. Baby, it is just inevitable. It is gonna come. I don't use a ton of AI a lot. It doesn't infiltrate my life. But there's been a lot of talk when it comes to entertainment in Hollywood. That's why there was the actors strike a few years ago. The what the Screen Actors Guild. They couldn't come to an agreement with, you know, the AI use or the repeat use of actors and their voices and their faces before they, you know, finally came to an agreement at some point. You know, we hear even on the radios in the radio side, you know your favorite this Jockies, how you doing coming up? We're gonna play the forty songs. You know, there are ways to actually recreate their voices. You know, we at some point I'm facing it people. Luckily, I guess I'm on the backside of my career. They can be replaced. Nice talk about this, because there was this app that I was playing with that I just downloaded and it what it is? It replic It has a it generates a standalone it's let me put it this way, it's a standaloade voice generation app. It's a voice AI company called eleven Labs, and I'll give you the u RL if you really want it. You have to spell out the word eleven Labs. And it's a free downloadable app too. They released a mobile app. It's yes, it's for Android, Yes, it's for iOS, and it generates voice clips from anything including things that you sit there and type and text listen. Until now, if you had to generate samples using you know, AI poors, AI powered voice libraries, you kind of had to rely on the web everything. Oh, now there is a mobile app that generates clips on the go. You may have used something like this. That may be freaky deeky, but I tried it and I wanted to see how it work. And this it turned my head. It really really did. So what I did is let me let me pull this thing up. It's called let's see eleven. And you know they want you to subscribe. Blah blah blah blah blah. They don't we Anyway, I want to sit here and I want to use this voice. And what they already do, you can actually tell it to. You can have a male voice who's a teenager and authoritative, you know, voiceover you know female. You can have you know, kids, people sounding like kids or whatever. But then there's a few celebrities and I found one I wanted to try. If anybody in this is a generational actor who's no longer with this, but Bert Reynolds, anybody, you have to be of age.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Burt Reynolds. He was just a great iconic actor. He was like in the seventies and eighties music movies with Smoking the Bandit and Boogie Knights and everything. He was phenomenal. It's a deep, authoritative voice. It's great for narration and whatever. So anyway, I wanted to try this, so I wrote a promo for my high tech textion show. I typed it three sentences into this app and I said, hey, I want Burt Reynolds, which, by the way, it is trademarked and he and his estate and his family gets paid for this, so this one's legit. All right, I'm going to play this and if you know Bert Reynolds's voice, I want you to close your eyes and listen. If you don't know, Burt renlds, this is this is this is about as Burt Reynolds, as Burt Nolts. This could get take a Listen to a promo as voiced by Burt Reynolds.
Speaker 7: Welcome to the High Tech Texan Show with Michael Garfield, the only place you need to turn to for expert reviews, commendations, and bs to get you through life. Also, he may be the only dude with more body hair than me.
Speaker 5: Did I not tell you? Is that freaky deaky? That is how far one instance in one use of AI has come. That's crazy, man, I mean it's listen. I know you can have GPS with the voice of Darth Vader and you can have your fame it. There's Comedia, is there's Kevin Hart. I mean, it goes on and on, but now you could tell it and type anything. I mean, if I really wanted to, like I want you to think about this. If I had a sore throat, I could type in my entire radio show like I'm doing right now, and I can have Burt Reynolds host my radio show, which at the end of the day, it's much sexier than listening to me. But this do you and I'm gonna throw this out to you. Do you find this scary? Do you find this neat? Do you find it cool? Do you not even know how to categorize it? Or is it a little of both? This is a consumer facing app that is that is no cost. This is how quickly we have become and how machine learning is out there. And I this is when people pass on. I mean the most famous listen I want. I think about this the reason my idol, the reason I got into radio, and this entire thing. I grew up listening to a very very famous disc jockey, Casey Caseum. Casey Caseum based out of Los Angeles. He was a disc jockey who every week did a syndicated show called American Top forty. All right. I listened to that American Top forty every single weekend through middle school and high school. I wrote down the Top forty. I got his speech pattern I used to imitate him. I actually utilize his voice in some parodies for commercial ads. Technically people say I actually look like him, which is neither here, nowhere there. But he's gone. He passed away ten eleven years ago, but his voice still lives on in cartoons. He was the voice of Shaggy and Scooby doo Zucks like Scoopy, what is Scooby? The thing is, though I at some point, I'm sure there's a Casey Caseen voice impersonator AI app right now. If not, I need to create one. I would love to actually do. My entire show is the voice of Casey case even though it kind of sounds like Casey. But he's gone. And so the longevity of people, and the funny thing is, this is what machine learning can do. You don't need You could have been dead for generations, but still your work on movies and voice. I mean, think of James Cagney or Jemmy Jemmy start you know, Jimmy Stuart died what I don't know, twenty twenty five years ago, potentially. I mean, all you need to do is just run all of his movies and you know it's the Christmas movie and everything, and you could generate his voice. And I think the question is in these cases of celebrities, they need to get these companies need to go to the proper channels and compensate their estates and their families. But for fun purposes like this, I mean, luckily this Burt Reynolds, this app that I use specifically from eleven Labs, hopefully Burt Reynolds family. It's not gonna be pissed at me because this they're probably getting paid I don't know two tenths of one cent or something for me using that, but I wanted to illustrate it. As more of this comes along, I will do it too. There's video things that actually can take pictures of me and probably morph me into these even my TV segments. I mean, it could be a fake Michael Garfield. I hope they get the hair right. That's all. That's all I care about. But a little AI trick em or trickery for you. By the way I'll put this, if you want to play an experiment with this thing, because there probably could be some really good uses, Like for some reason, you do get out a laryngitis and your voice sharts. They just pump something out. This particular one is from a company called eleven Labs e L e V e N Labs eleven Labs. You can download it right now for absolutely free and you can go check it out yourself, which, by the way, I probably should do. Callo. We should actually create a contest here who can create a promo for the High Tech Texan Show, kind of like what I just did. You're listening to the High Tech Texan Show. That's right, counting down the top forty hits, the number one number technology expert that you need to listen to. We need to have people come up who can create the best promo, you know at a ten second rejoiner or something, and then I should give away out an maybe a Cowbo Bob gift card. So feel free to come up with something like that. All right, When we come back, Michael Garfield, I'll go through a few of the early Prime day Amazon Prime Day deals that I saw, and also some information on that massive, massive password hack. We're sixteen what billion passwords were stole? Does this affect you jumping up? I'll tell you the information. In the meantime, you see you go out and keep reaching Fay.
Speaker 6: Stars No Burt Reynolds.
Speaker 5: This segment just lill o me. Michael Gartfield is the name. I host this long running two decades plus. It's called the High Tech textan show. I promised not to really go all tech and not use megabytes and gigabytes. If you're a long time listening you know that I'm going to talk about food, drink, travel, fashion, cars, a lot of car reviews to and other interesting features like an AI voice generator that you could type something into an app and have Burt Reynold's voice push it out. If you dis missed that, go back and listen to the show on podcast. That is the scary stuff that AI does. Phote number here if you have a question or you want to tell me how freaky that was. Three four six two nine eight three nine two six, I just say yo, callum man. Let's see if you could put you on Michael's show. If you just get a voicemail, just record something, and we do have the right to play your real voice, not AI generated, on this radio show, so feel free to do that. Amazon Prime Day talked about that a few segments ago. Countdownazon people, why don't they change the name to Amazon Prime Days? Actually, I know what because at some point soon it's going to be Amazon Prime Week, and then it will be Amazon Prime Month pretty much the month of July. It is now four days long. It's not a Prime Day. It's four days July eighth, ninth, tenth, and eleventh. I've already been looking for some interesting things that I saw. You are generally going to get relatively good deals on Amazon branded products. Shocking right. The Amazon Echoes, the Echo Dots, the Amazon Firestick, the Fire TV stick, the Amazon Fire TVs themselves, those are going to be the easy, low hanging fruits that Amazon to say, yeah, yeah, yeah, we want to push our own branded stuff on there. It makes sense I do the same thing too. Speaking of fire sticks, I did see this already. If you want to sale Amazon's fire tv stick. Fire tv stick four K four K is very nice. It is already on sale for twenty four to ninety nine, which is half off normally the Amazon Fire tv Stick four K fifty dollars. Now it's twenty five bones far as I could tell, it's the lowest price of the year. If you don't know what a firestick is, it is a very good and smart device streaming TV shows and movies from Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, a HBO Max, Paramount plus, blah blah blah, the whole thing. And it actually can do more than just stream audio and video. It's it's integrated with the Alexa and the Amazon and other service. And this one it comes with a remote control. Some of them don't come with remote control. You probably want to buy a stick that does have a remote control. But this one has the Alexa Voice remote control. It triggers the voice Assist assistant. What you do is you plug this into your TV in the back of your HDMI and what it is, it receives a Wi Fi signal and then you know, you just kind of turn your TV into the source HDMI one or whatever it is, and then now you can use it to use the remote to go and download all these other apps. Obviously, the Amazon Prime Prime is probably gonna Prime Video, which is probably already gonna be downloaded, but you can, you know, download the HBO Max of the Hulu, the Netflix and all these other things too. So if you have a lower, if you have a TV that is not connected to the internet or Wi Fi, or it's old enough it doesn't even have a Wi Fi connection, maybe you have one that's outside, and you know that's the easiest thing to do. That's one of the reasons you should get some sort of a streaming stick that listen. There's other manufacturers. Roku makes a very nice one r Okau, but I happen to see one. It's about a year and a half old. This is the twenty twenty three version of the Amazon Fire TV Stick four K, but still for twenty five bucks. It's actually not a bad delio whatsoever. I saw one more thing a lot of people. It may be time. I'm always I don't remind people enough that if your Wi Fi in your house over the years, it starts slowing down. Number one. Obviously it's there's many reasons, but it may be an older system because there are newer versions of Wi Fi. There's Wi Fi six, there's Wi Fi seven, There's all these other you know, categories and definitions. But if you have a Wi Fi system that is I mean listen, Wi Fi as I know it, I think it was kind of invented in two thousand and two thousand and one, that was when I first started the High Tech Texts and TV program. In the segments, I remember explaining what Wi Fi was explaining with it now it's ubiquitous everywhere. But if you don't have a mesh router system for your Wi Fi, you may need to upgrade. You may want to upgrade need in one or two things. You may want to upgrade to a Wi Fi mesh router system. And this is a system that will can replace your current Wi Fi system with. If your Wi Fi system only has one router, so you connect your cable if you will your cable box, your cable box itself actually could have if you have Xfinity, it could come with a Wi Fi router. But if you have your own and you want a larger, a stronger signal that goes out farther to more areas of your home, even on the outside backyard, you may want to upgrade to what's called a Wi Fi mesh system. This comes with sometimes three different little repeater stations. You connect one where your old WiFi router was right off the where your internet cable comes in. Then throughout your home you place these others small in there. Sometimes you can't even notice the little repeater systems across your home and what it does it creates just kind of close your eyes and imagine this kind of mesh network system that hits every corner, every inch of your home inside and out, and throws that signal to make it just as strong as it was when it comes right out of the pipeline of the Internet. A lot of these are user friendly, they work well with this, and there's a number of them. I even forget I haven't upgradeed my mesh system and gosh a good seven years or so, I've forgot the name of my manufacturer. Point is, there's a lot of these that I'm seeing right now. Pop it up on Prime Day. There's one right now. There's a company called TP Link, tp dash Link, l i Ink. They they're really good when it makes a lot of routers. They have got one now two hundred. It's a three pack which comes with three repeaters two hundred and fifty dollars, which is one hundred bucks off right now. This is the Tepee Link Deco Dco Wi Fi Mesh router system. That's just one of them. But again, if you're looking for something to get, because there's deals you just can't pass up. Man crazy any deals, you may want to upgrade your Wi Fi system, especially if you're finding that you know you have more access points. Don't forget. Your WiFi now is in use more than ever because your doorbell is connected to Wi Fi many cases, all of the wireless cameras inside and out they're on Wi Fi. All of your little smart speakers are connected to Wi Fi. Your kids are on Wi Fi, your neighbors are on Wi Fi. I have probably over fifty some odd devices that are using my Wi Fi that I didn't even know about. You can go look into your router and actually see that. So again, just some ideas for you to think of, particularly five five you want something specific brand, I'm here for you our first what hour break? We're halfway through the show. I am at three four six two nine eight three nine two six. If the voicemail try to get through Michael Barker was the names the high Tech section show, would we come back? I'm gonna tell you about that massive password hack that went down last week. Sixteen billions passwords were hacked. I can actually tell you specifically if your information has been stolen, how really pack a new safe browser for you to use? Because browser's now we're under it back? And also how about this? Are you ready to go see the f one movie. Are you an iPhone user? Well, if you saw something pop up for an ad on your iPhone that you had no clue how it got there, I will tell you how to get rid of it. All that and so much more.
Speaker 3: High Tech Texan Show.
Speaker 5: Is Michael Garfield.
Speaker 4: Michael Garfield.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield's joining us the high Tech Texan.
Speaker 4: Michael Garfield is here with a high Tech Texans.
Speaker 3: To make life easier.
Speaker 2: Technology and Michael Garfield has something you might want.
Speaker 4: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio Act. Now you're high Tech Texan. Michael Garfield.
Speaker 8: Halfway through the show and almost we're just shy halfway through the year of twenty twenty five, which means it is halfway to happy hour in.
Speaker 5: More ways than one. Michael Garfield is the name, as you heard that big booming voice the long running High Tech Texan Show. Bear with me, it is not all about tech. We're gonna have a lot of fun. I don't know, may have a cocktail recipe for you. I'm really into gin for some reason. Gin is very tough to make. If you're trying to make a cocktail. I think I found a few secrets since again, just let you know some of the things that we do talk about. Very interactive show, which means you can call, you can give me your opinion, your thoughts, you're anything that you want to lap about. Hey, Prime days coming up, all four days of it. As we've been talking about the first hour, Michael, I need to get this. What's your opinion on this Wi Fi route? Or what's your opinion on this fire stick? What's your opinion on whatever? TVs clothing? I am your guy. Three four six two nine textan three four six two nine eight three nine six That's how you get me. You can find me online, high tech, text in on most most all the socials h I G H T E C H T E X A N. That's how you do it. How about this massive password reach last week? Did you did you hear about this thing? I spent a few hours last week with some of my radio and TV affiliates. Hey, Michael, what's your opinion? You know, sixteen billion passwords were exposed and what was the biggest data breach? Ever? Well, what actually matters is this There is a debate over what information was given out and whether it's new information is it recycled data. Hackers reportedly allegedly they got a lot of it by installing malware on user computers that logs in what you type. Listen. I don't care if it's false. I don't care if it's new. I don't care if it's old. It doesn't matter. You just need to keep your information safe. I went over at last hour for another reason that there could be there is a threat, a very low level threat of a cyber attack from Iran or maybe another country, after the retaliation of what the US did to you know, blowing up their you know nuclear you know, fortificated data, you know, plutonium plants, there could be some sort of retaliation with cyber attacks. And as I said, last last hour, and I'll do it again to protect Number one. Never reuse your passwords. I understand why you reuse your password, so you remember it every time. Don't use a week password. Don't use the word password as a password. Don't use password one, two, three, four, five, six, or any combination. Now never use it across the same site. If one gets compromised, guess what that actor is using it to get into your bank account, your school records, everything that's there. Here's what I do. If you don't use a password manager, which I'll tell you about a SAC, at least utilize some sort of a code system that only you know. And and this is this is I'm not going to say I do it. This is this is something easy. If you I'm gonna forget my password, I want you to use one base string of letters in text, just something you're always gonna remember. Use a combination maybe of your first name, your last name. Change a letter instead of the using you know there's a letter E. Use a three because it looks the same instead of using an L. Use the number one whatever. Used maybe the first eight or nine or ten characters, it's the same thing. Then change the last few characters into whatever website you're trying to log into. If you're trying to log into a Wells Fargo bank account, use your same ten digit let's just say master beginning of your security code, and then use the letter's WF Wells Fargo. And then if you're trying to log into your University of Houston school records, use those same ten letters again, and just change those last two letters to uh, University of Houston. At least it's a different password for everything. At least you're never going to forget that solid first portion of your code. Then whatever website you're on, you're going to like, oh yeah, I'm on Wells Fargo, so it's got to be WF. That's one way to do it. You can also use a password manager, and these are apps, and these generate in store very long passwords, very unique passwords. I'm talking sixteen plus characters for every single account. Yes, you need to protect your password manager with a strong master password. And there's a number of them out there too. And what I do is now I'm using more and where I'm using two factor authentication two. And you may see it written as the letter too, the letter F the letter a two factor authentication. But going back to Google Gmail, if you use that, it uses it. If I wanted to log on to the VPN for my email here at iHeartMedia, they make us use an authenticator app or two factor authentication. What happens is you log online first, maybe to your bank account, and you put in your tend did you you put in your password? It ain't gonna let you in the website yet, they are going to text you, so have your phone nearby. Sometimes it's an email of this one time used password, pass code, patents, a set of numbers. It's only gonna be around for five minutes, ten minutes, or whatever. You're gonna have to use that and then enter it. That's your second level. That's called two factor authentication. Just listen it is it a pain in the butt, yeah, Midge, But I got it down somewhere between six seven eight seconds. I have my phone with me. I know what texts coming through. What are those sick digits? Put put a minute, worre set to go. You don't need to panic, You don't need a freak. You don't need to change all your passwords for everything from Apple to Google to Facebook, dif anything. But make sure your social media accounts certainly do they have strong, unique passwords. Maybe two factor authentication able. I get stories all the time. You hear hacker, this, hacker this, It's a lot of them were tricked into entering their log in information on a fake site to steal them. Now that summer is here, you got some extra time in the hands. Maybe this is a good time to change to be your passwords, just to kind of maybe download a password manager. Browsers too. I saw something that there's a lot of browsers now that are being taken over or encrypted or having malicious links or software. And I mean I use I have long used. I don't use Microsoft Edge, I don't use anything I actually I don't use Chrome. Well that's my secondary one. I use a password. I use a browser called Brave Rave free to download because I'm thinking because it, you know, allegedly blocks a lot of you know, third party cookies and everything. I was read somewhere that even Brave failed some sort of a test scam blockers and anything. So I'm reading where did I read this? Well, it doesn't even matter where I read it. Some news site online. If you're worried about malicious links and anythings. Safari you use that a lot. When it comes to Apple, it's decent, but it was able to download in some bad thing. I'm not saying these are bad. I'm not saying a roun but these are just instances that there was this test done for the scam blocker. Already. Chrome is actually good and Duck Duck go, Duck Duck go. I see commercials that I've never done it, but it's a browser. But those two browsers apparently are flagged sites as dangerous or they have blocked access to things that we're trying to fish sin malware or common scams. Again, I talked about this. These are the time of years that maybe some of you have a little bit more time in your hands just how to protect yourself because now with what's going on, with the positibility of a low level cyber attack, you need to make sure that everything is tight, tight, tight, tight, all right? Coming back, who wants to see the F one movie. If you have an Apple wallet, odds are you may have gotten an ad where you could save some money and you're thinking, why in the world did I just get an advertisement in a coupon on my Apple iPhone? Well, I'll tell you why. Coming back. I'm a high tech textan show. Almost halfway through summer, we'll well past the halfway point of the high Tech textan show. Michael Garfield is my name. It is me. You can call me Garth G A R F. If we are tight, you know the phone number. It's in an directive radio show three four six nine eight three nine two six Find Everything High Tech text and Spell the whole thing out Hi Tech textan dot com. See some of my TV segments that I've done. Did a Father's Day gift guide few weeks ago, did a graduate gift guide a few weeks ago. I'm probably gonna do a little with some Amazon Prime Day tips here in the next day or two. If you're in Austin, Austin Fox seven TV show on Monday mornings that I'm on, also Great Day Houston Channel eleven CBS, I pop on there some my often. And if you have a radio, if you have a TV station that you want me to contribute to, feel free to call me. We're then happy to work out a deal with you. Who's traveling this summer? Actually have I even done trial? I don't think I've done a segment on travel technology, gears and apps. Actually I probably should do that. There's a lot of neat stuff out there. I went to about a month ago where always I went to California to see one of the kids. I'm doing a little traveling. I'll be hopping on an airplane here soon. TSA always gets bogged down, and I do have TSA. I pay extra to get through the TSA, which those lines slowly but surely seem to be getting just as long as the non TSA. But they solve this that more and more people are getting stopped at TSA for some of their food and snacks that they're bringing on planes. I mean, listen, you need your photo ID, you need your boarding pass, and you kind of need some airplane snacks. Am I wrong? People? Am I not? I mean, do I speak to truth people and travelers? You could bring a lot of food on the plane. I mean I sit next to people and then they listen. They mostly buy it at the airport. Back when Papasitos was at Hobby Airport in Houston, man, I would sit next to somebody with some breakfast tacos and some enchiladas. I'm like, really, some people bring containers of Chinese foods. Some people bring I've see people like bring harboiled eggs. I mean whatever, I mean, if you want to share with your seat mate or your rowmate, man, let's roll went away. You know there's a liquid limit, right, It's like what three point four ounces or one hundred middle liters that you can't you know, bring with liquid or jail gel or aerosol or cream or something. Foods that are also liquid or jail or aerosol have to comply. So it was a USA. Today. I was reading something that there are snacks that are subject to TSA Liquid rules. You what ever, this creamy cheeses, hummus, peanut butter, yogurt, jam and jelly, and creamy dips and spreads, those actually count as TSA Liquid rules. And this sucks because I'm gonna tell you why I travel with peanut butter. Now. I don't bring a jar of peanut butter. I don't, and I think I'm under the three point four ounces, but I travel with the little kind of prepackaged What is it like, justin is that the name of the brand, like almond butter, peanut butter? Sometimes I have little jiff little cups that you can kind of like open the top and spread. I live peanut butter, the greatest food known to man. Love love love. It's tough for me to go in without peanut butter. I don't know do I need the TSA now, like pulling my carry on out and giving me like just reming me going, I'm sorry, Garfield. You you know you actually brought the You and Laura Scudder, she is not your companion on Southwest Airlines. Man, come on, I love Laura Scudder baby. You know you stirred up and it's a fresh Nope. Has anybody been called out by the TSA for food? I want to hear from you. Three four six, two nine eight three died in two six. I promise not to last. Actually, I sympathy. I have sympathy for you on the same thing. Did you see the story that was going around? I certainly I hit it in Houston last week. Somebody at TSA was trying to and I gonna call it smuggle. They were carrying something like one hundred packs of fresh h EB tortillas. And I had to laugh at this story. And I'm gonna tell you why, because pretty much all my listening audience in Texas you know what HGB is, right, it's it's it's the I didn't. It's the greatest grocery store ever. It's phenomenal. If you've never had freshly made HB tortilla, you were missing out on a very good portion of your life. They are fresh. I like I like the uh the butter ones. Oh unbelievable. They make them fresh. They sell them for whatever. Two and a half three four bucks. You get ten of them, maybe twenty of them. They're warm, and you take them home and you just shove them in your pile. There's a buddy of mine, Brian, who used to live in Houston. He now lives in Atlanta. When he comes here to visit his parents in Houston, I kid you not, he goes to AGB and he buys things that he that AGB is not in Atlanta. He buys things, including tortillas. When I visit him, I bring him hib tortillas. So I've smuggled in. I use the word smuggling. It's funny. I've brought him on the plane two or three packages of tortillas. Somebody had a suitcase, a carry on suitcase, I believe of one hundred packs of tortillas. I want to know where this person is, and I want to sit with them next time because I'm gonna whip out my peanut butter, because you've never tried anything if you haven't had peanut butter on a fresh door. Tia, phenomenal, Love that story, Love that story. Good for you, Hib. I don't know if that was Agy. They may have. Hib. Better find that person, reach out and give them a gift card. Phenomenal publicity. HB should give me a gift card because I'm talking about it right now. Who's planning to see this F one movie? Callum Calum, read over here? Will you guys got to see this F one movie with Brad Pitt at the end of the day at some point, I probably will see it because I'd like cars. I like fast cars. I like the suspense. I know what it is. It's Brad Pitt exploring the world of Formula one. I can even write the script right now. Let me guess he's a washed up, tired, old ornery race car driver. Some rich owner is gonna have to give him a second chance and teach some young buck of how to drive. So they hired him, and it's just gonna escalate and blah blah blah. I mean, there's probably a love interest. There's fast moving cameras and fast sound and fast songs. Folks. I probably just say, get ten, fifteen, twenty bucks on a movie ticket. That's what it is right now. Directed by the same guy who did Top Gun Maverick. I think it's written by one of the guys who did Top Gun Mavericks. Pretty much what it is. It is Brad Pitt in a car substituting for Tom Top Gun Maverick, Tom Cruise and you know F sixteens fatans. Nope, that's what it is. It's produced for the very first time by Apple. Apple is taking it shot at producing a movie that is released in theaters, not just on Apple Plus. And from what I heard, this is a two and a half hour, two hours, fifteen minute Apple commercial. Apple airbuds, Macintosh computers, iPhones, they're just product placement everywhere you go. They don't have an Apple. You know that. I'm an Android guy, but apparently and I need verification on this. If you have an Apple and this happened to you, I want you to text me and text me if yea, if you have my text deal, free to text me, but email Michael at high Tech textan dot com call in three four six twenty nine, text and use your iPhone if you want to Apple. Hey, you have an Apple wallet, you guys, use that there's so much cross promotion here that Apple Wallet in the app. People have been reporting of getting a push notification that they're complaining that Fandango, which I guess is a movie ticking app, is offering a ten dollars discount for anyone buying two or more tickets to the film. They're pushing this onto your Apple wallet. Listen, we are barraged every ten seconds of the day somewhere with ads. Okay, in about a minute a half, you're gonna hear some ads on this radio show. You're driving around a guarantee, you're looking at a billboard right now, you're watching TV, you're on IT, you're somewhere online, and Google is listening to You're gonna get served up an act. I really don't want an ad popping up in my wallet, my Apple wallet, or wherever it pops up, because I know that's my credit cards in there? Are they just going to say this is kind of the same. It's not nearly as bad as a feedback. Remember when YouTube famously launched one of their albums years ago to every single single iPhone user as it download, and they didn't ask for it. Actually, it was it was it was it a song, It was a it was twenty fourteen. It was their album called Songs of Innocence. If you had an Itune account and you had an iPhone, it was an audimatic download and it was met with big backlash. Users didn't want it, infringement on the privacy. I'm not saying this is the same thing, but that's a tie in right now, So I thought that was it. For some reason, you're getting it. Let me know. There is a way to stop that if you don't want these, If you don't want these advertisements here, you do have to go. Let me see if I can find it for you, because you do have to go into your settings, all right. This is if you have iOS twenty six beta, which is a new option to you go to offers, you go Apple Wallet, there's a tab or something called Offers and Promotions. This is for their only their new operating system iOS twenty six Offers and Promotions, and you turn it off, you disable it, so I see what they're doing. This is only in the iOS twenty six. Someone tells me that Apple is planning to do this on a regular basis, which is why on their brand new operating system they offer a way to disable it. But that's the way to do it. Anybody mad about that or not? Now, if they gave a free and absolute free ticket to F one, maybe I wouldn't be so ticked, all right, there you go, coming up Austin. I'm looking at you. Did you have you seen the super secret new Tesla ROBOTAXI rolling around? It's Invader right now. I'll tell you when it's going to your task going the back field high Tech.
Speaker 1: Tex Just two more segments to go, about thirty.
Speaker 5: Minutes of your time before we are out of here this weekend for the High Tech Texan Show. Thank you for hanging in there, having some fun with me through out by the pool, having a cocktail. Send one to me. Michael's the name, Michael Garfield. We're having some fun. We talk about consumer lifestyle products. Amazon Prime's coming up July eighth to eleventh. I told you about that, gave you some sales that are already going on. When it comes to a few things, I talked about the New f one movie, whether you want to see it or whether a Apple is pushing a coupon to your phone, still waiting for people to tell him about that. So we just kind of run the gamut and let you know about some things. Big shout out. It's funny because I you know, it's summer. We want the bathing suit, the swimsuit, the bikini, the speedo, I do not wear speedo the swimsuits. You know, you want to get that the good summer bought. It's not helping that I'm getting invited to a lot of these new restaurant openings and tastings. It was it was it a smart thing for me to invite Dairy Queen into our radio studio earlier this week so I could test out one of their five new Summer Blizzard favors. The time, I thought it was smart while I was eating it. Probably the greatest dessert in the history of the world, in my opinion, the Dairy Queen Blizzard. It was a great idea. Okay, now I don't know, I'm running a next two or three extra miles on top of the already miles that I'm running in this hot weather and then hopping on my peloton even Moore. Probably not the smartest thing. And not only that. Tried pizza high Tap an about here for putt that Dallas. You know this pie tap there's like what six seven eight locations. Houston got its first pie Tap location not too far from Central Market Sam Felipe near Wesleyan. That is some good food that these these It's called pie tap because it's pizza pies and also a lot of beer on tap. They have probably one of the most killer appetizers I have tried, and I kind of keep account of it, like best apps out there. It's this garlic bread dough with this special garlic butter that just melts on contact. It is stupid awesome, all right, mushroom pizza yaukey? They got burgers go check out PI tap by the way, so they brought more food into the station earlier this week. This is not good. And if that wasn't enough, My good friends over at Gringos, tex mex Hello, Jonathan Kim, Russell, Lebarro, Heather McCann and everybody else been associated with these folks for twenty years. I got to do a little friends and family, which means I can order any dang thing I wanted while they tested out and checked out how the food service and help with their servers or anything. This is past week. Was up in Tomball, Texas. Shout out Tomball Way Way on the north side of Houston, corner of Rand Parkway ninety nine and Highway two forty nine. It's up there. It's a hike, but I get you know, I did it for the sake of feedback, and several Margharita's and you know Poyo Marisco and everything. I talk about this because there is a little technology bent over here. Joey Farina, he's the head of their IT department's been with them forever. Sub Joey, I know he listens to the show. He was telling me. You walk into the state, it's gorgeous. And I have been to probably ten friends and family openings of Gringos in the past twenty years. It's great. I'm on there last. I'm very excited to be able to get to know these people. They're wonderful people, great food, great family restaurant, free ice cream. If I've been to ten of them, every new restaurant is gorgeous. It's bigger, it's prettier than the other one. This one is no exception. You walk in, there's this massive bar, a lot of TVs. They got watch six eight TVs there in the bar loans you can watch your sports. And I was talking to Joey, who's the IT He's very proud of the server room and pulling all the cable and all the cameras. They have more security cameras, literally than four docs. I am not kidding you. If I wanted to steal a tistato chip from whoever I'm eating with, I guarantee this camera has me I can get busted. And it was just not a good relationship thing. They got cameras everywhere. But anyway, Joy was telling me at Gringos for the first time, instead of using typical fiber or internet company or cable, they installed Starlink. They're using starlink and that's Elon Musk's service, relatively new that you're gonna be finding on airplanes to make Internet go faster. He loves it. They installed it in the roof, he said, I don't know. It's maybe about one foot by one foot. Dish automatically finds the point in the sky in the southern atmosphere. You know whatever. Starlink, he says, is fasted I needed. I haven't tried starlink. I'm waiting for United Airlines to to put Starlink on their flight so I can test it and everything. But I thought it was cool. It's available now, and one of the reasons I think you use it is because they are built this restaurant Tomball is so remote and it's such a new area that they're building in right at the corner of these two highway intersections. I don't think even fiber could have been run out there is he's not run out to the Yes, they said, screw it, let's try this starlink and he said it's working well. And I saw how it works. So congratulations to the new Gringos, tex mex Tomball restaurant. When you go in, asked, I don't know, try I don't know if they have Wi Fi, but ask them to change a TV channel or something like text. It's very fast, very internet. I thought that was pretty good. What else do we got? Few things? I wanted to mention, Yes, I've been through the tortilla TSA. We've been to the tortilla type of thing. Uh uh subscribe. I mentioned this too, that I am also here to help you out with canceling your subscriptions. Time of the year right now it is summer, sneaky subscriptions continue to ruin your budget. This is the time of year to maybe go over everything that you have subscribed to. Like I said, Amazon Prime's coming up. The reason Amazon Prime Day was coming up, specifically, Amazon wanted to sell memberships subscription which is one hundred and twenty five hundred and fifty bucks a year. That's what a subscription is. Oh wait a minute, you have a Sam's Club. Oh wait a minute, you have a Costco. Oh wait a minute, you and then you've got all your streamers. How many subscriptions do you need? Americans spend more than one thousand dollars a year on subscription services. I think people, here's a stat throwing away, well over two hundred dollars a year that you're not using that time statbot. Four to five US adults have paid for one or more subscriptions in the past year. Average total amounts spent the past year for prescriptions ninety hours a month. That's o're a thousand bucks a year. Sixty one percent of subscribers are rethinking they're paid subscriptions because of the economy. You about it, streaming video, music services, retailers, gaming subscriptions, news and media services, health and fitness services, meal kit food delivery services, security apps kind of need that, software management, financial apps, a lot of things that you're spending on saying. I'm giving you ideas right now. You're like, hey, Dan, I wonder if my wife canceled the of the Hulu like I told you to or whatever. This is a good time to go check out to see how do you do it? How do you find and how do you cancel subscriptions you don't want anymore. There's actually a budgeting app, believe it or not, that helps you where your money is going, so you could scale down spending in all these categories. Actually just some budgeting apps. They can help you identify all your subscriptions and they can cancel them for you. I know this because I saw commercial. What's the commercial I see on the NBA? Is it for Rocket Money? Is that what it is? Right? Something like that? I'm not sure. It helps people flag all your accounts and I guess I don't know. I haven't use it, but one click it gets rid of your own new subscriptions. There's one way to do it, I know. I mean, I think hopefully is Rocket Money free? I don't even know that. Maybe another subscription. Also, here's another way auto your bank account. Look at your credit card bill. Odds are you're going to pay via your credit card? Go through your credit card and if you see something recurring, like I see an Amazon bill every single month or whatever, is it I don't know, ten dollars twelve fifteen bucks a month, like yeah, I know, I know, like that, but that's really the only streamer service that I subscribe to. I continue to steal my other's friends pass words. Just kidding, not really, But go through your credit card statements and if you see something come up over and over again, you're thinking, man, when's the last time I actually went into costco or if you when was the last time I actually watched it? Subscription service? Cancel the dang thing, man, cancel. So this is the time to do it. Look for some of these apps if you want to, you know, get better deals. Look for bundle subscriptions. For example, I think Disney Plus, Hulu, ESPN Plus. You can all three get those in one three bundle, something like seventeen bucks a month. If you use something like Apple Music, they offer you know, maybe you know, maybe Apple Music, you get free with some unlimited calling plan. I think Total Wireless, like Total Wireless. I think at the high end plan, they gave me a full year of Disney Plus. I use Total Wireless. That's great, by the way, use it that way. But again, downtime, middle of the summer, it's hot, as you know what, cancel some of your subscriptions. Don't cancel this show. One more segment to now hang in. You could do it people. It is the High Tech Dection Show with me Michael Garfield.
Speaker 7: We made it.
Speaker 5: Final few minutes of the High Tech Textan Show, the last show of the weekend of the last weekend in June, which means we are, I guess coming up in a few days. We are halfway through Happy Hour of twenty twenty five. Where did a year go? It flew by so fat? No I didn't. This time is moving slower and slower. The world is just so jacked up, and I am the only voice of reason. Michael Garfield. That is my voice. Thank you for listening. Thank you also to Callum and Will for keeping the show on the air. Brian Erickson, iHeartRadio program chief across the state of Texas. Thank you for Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Terrest. Really listening to this show. If you're in Austin, I do have an Austin presence. If you watch every Monday morning on Fox seven, that is me. That's what I look like. I do it technology segments. I need to what are you doing this coming? We Oh, that's right. This coming Monday, if you're in Austin. I taped a piece of a robot lawnmower. It'll run this Monday, I think seven forty five am on Fox seven in Austin. I will then put it on my high tech texting dot com and YouTube channels. But I tested out a lawnmower where you don't have to do a dang thing except download the app and charge it up and it goes. I'll say it again, where was this when I was a kid? Man? I had to grow up. When I grew up, ma'am, my parents maybe mow the lawn bag then didn't know, No, don't need to do that all. Is it worth the twenty five one hundred dollars the version I tested, I will will tell you that. So that's my Austin tip. I got to Austin at least once a month to actually tape these things, and I missed it this month. But when I go in a few weeks, I apparently am going to see another driverless ride sharing service because Tesla. Welcome to the gang. Tesla launched a robo taxi service just a few days ago in Austin. There's anybody seen those yet they I've seen some videos of them. They look pretty cool. Not a Tesla fan for safe they look they're testing with a very small number of cars, and they're testing them with a human person actually sitting in there in the passenger seat. They're not doing anything other than monitor but maybe they've got a chicken break or something that'll help it. I understand the company's caution seems for the best because I think one robo taxi from Tesla attempted to drive on the wrong side of the road already. Has anybody done this? My cousins from Atlanta were in town this past week. They got two cute little kids, and they had said they were in San Francisco not long ago, and they took way Moo, the driverless Waymo, everywhere they thought. The kids thought they were in Disneyland. They loved it. It is a crazy experience when you sit and let a nobody, a robot, a ghost drive you around. But it's also freaky. It's like, excuse me, driver, can I get out?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Uh, ain't no one there to talk to. So you're gonna see more and more of these things. Waymo also operates in Austin. I was in Austin. I did see there's any one called Zeusk. I think it is is that the Amazon went Austin. It's it's it's it's it's a betting ground for the state of I mean, they've been in California for a while, but Austin. Maybe it's so progressive that it's like, you know, all these new tech That's why I have a technology segment Austin. There's so many tech oriented things. It works well. But also Texas is relatively simple the state of text with it is simple to get a license for robotaxis. You just need to make sure that the cars actually passed inspection and then you're ready to go. You don't have to jump through hoops. That's why Tesla, which is Elon Musk, which is based in Houston, which is based in Austin area. Anyway, they decided let's just roll it out in Austin. But I thought that was needed. So if anybody is I'm not going to give out the phone number anymore. But that's another one that was out there. Speaking of which, what's Michael driving? I do get the test drive cars. This past week I was in two cars, one of which was the Buick Invista. I'll say it again. I tried it last year. Buick Invista was my favorite car of the entire year. Every year I get to test drive cars. I get him for one week. This is not sponsored, They're not through a dealership. I get them directly for the manufacturer. I am very lucky. I've done this for fifteen years. I've tested you Haven over one thousand cars. I don't even have my own car because I get a new one every week to drive. Buick and Vista relatively inexpensive. It's in the thirty thousands. It's a kind of a sedan four door, comfy, good tech drives. Well, didn't have the biggest sized engine, but it does get you from A to B where you want to go. I just loved it. This was the Avanir Buick Avanir that's kind of the higher end luxurious that has, you know, a little bit more things built in with the seats and everything. Buick Investor. Man, I know times are tight, budgets whatever. If you're thinking of a car, if you're thinking of one that you want a comfy ride and you don't want to spend an armored leg because you know, cars are not cheap nowadays. Take a look at you. I think Buick has done over the past three four, five, six years with the brand. It's great invest to E n V I s TA definitely like that, absolutely like that. Also was in a Toyota land Cruiser. I haven't been historically a big Toyota guy. A lot of the Toyota in my mind when you sit in it's very plastically the land Cruiser. It's big. It's that their biggest vehicle yet it is a Mama suv. It holds a ton of stuff, especially when you put that third road down. It is actually the second second road down. It is big. Ah handles well still, you know, I'm knocking on the plastic. You know, there's not a lot of wood grain. They keep it down. But it's not the most it's not the cheapest thing ever. But if you're a Toyota fan, Toyota does hold its value. Toyota is a Texas base now in the United States company and you may want to look at that too. So those are the two I had from an suv into the more for a typical four door Sudan thing. So that's one of the things I roll. Finally, last email of the week, here we go. What do I got? Hey, Garth heard you're talking about your blizzard. You said there's five new blizzards. What are the treats? Because I love me some blizzards. Well, all right, that is from Janet. Janet, I love me some blizzards too.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 5: They came into the studio last week. They brought at the twenty twenty five summer Blizzard treats. There's five of them, one of which some'mores marshmallow chocolate bars, gram crackers. Good. I'm gonna give it on a one to five. I'm gonna give that a three. Not a big marshamallow fan. I do like the the grahm crackery type of thing. Not enough chocolate, you have to have chocolate to get a five out of five. Number two, they brought in a confetti cake blizzard. Woo, little cake pieces, confetti frosting, little birthday action over there. Good vanilla ish didn't have enough chocolate. We give that three and a half. Dipped strawberry cheesecake blizzard. Cheese cake pieces in there, chunks of chocolate strawberry topping. Give that one a four. Different mixes in a little sweetness, a little fruit. So I got my fruit. Finally. Now there's two more cotton candy. Cotton candy blizzard, cotton candy sprinkles pretty much with their white ice cream two, two and a half. Do you like cotton candy? Get it? Not a big cotton handy guy. Last one here it comes five out of five. The mixing bowl mashup Blizzard. What do you say is in the mixing bowl mashup blizzard? Oh it's only a blend of brownie batter and chocolate chip cookie dough for the win. I rate my Blizzards people best dessert in history, ma'am. Sorry, that's the way he goes. Would have got a six on a scale of five and dead peanut butter man deal mixing bowl mash up. There you go. Just it's public service, not paid don a commercial, but able to tice tho DQ people to actually bring it into the studio with that show, is ober? I need to go run another didn't least six to eight miles after everything I've eaten this week? Whatever you do, have a good upcoming July for holiday.
Speaker 3: We will have a.
Speaker 5: Show next week in too, like we always do. It will be halfway through at the end of the year. I do want to thank my good friends Calum and Will keeping us on the air making the sound sex eight. This is my real voice. This is not a Burt Reynolds AI and this that reference. Go back and listen to the podcast. People can make theres some scary things out there. People pray for our world. Pray in the second half. There's a lot better than the first half. My name is Garth. I go great first weekend and week of July. Fucking next weekend because right now my show is oh Lie