Speaker 1: We're a fellow by the name of Benjamin. He's calling from Australia. He's an Aussie and I'm so honored to bring him to the microphones. Benjamin, you're on another side of Midnight with the Lionel.
Speaker 2: Lionel High. Yeah. I was driving city bus last night, which is my time over here in Sydney, and I had you streaming on the radio. I never said it before. Yeah, yeah, I enjoyed it because I saw, Wow, this guy he's like a lawyer, and he's practiced law and stuff, and he knows he sings like a lawyer, so you know. And then I tuned in today like I just brought my son around this new sailing club because the sailing season starts here soon and it's a whole new club meeting all these different people. Yeah.
Speaker 1: May I ask you a stupid question, good sir? What time is it right now in Sydney?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right now? It says that I'm an album four twenty four pm.
Speaker 1: Isn't that something? I just don't ask me why. I'm just fascinated. I'm just fascinating anyway. But this is so interesting. You stream, you listen to us, How, by chance, per chance did you happen to find our our humble show. And and isn't it amazing to you how you can hear something as clear as day being across the world. I marvel at that, sir.
Speaker 2: Look honestly, my father was an electrical engineer for the sign company here in Australia. So I used to get free fine cells to America since I was like sixteen years old and I had a female friend. She was chilling squad at.
Speaker 1: Minnel you, Doug, really fly devil.
Speaker 2: She's an girl, and he was right real, She's always been a good girl. And I used to call her when when I was sixteen. I used to call her on the sign after I first met her. Yeah, so that's been calling New York now for thirty four years from me. So I'll tell you about this court case, right because I went into court because you, like you were saying last night, oh yeah, just get a court and it'll blow your mind all the crazy stuff you see. And sometimes I do do that. And so I'm sitting in court, you know, and it.
Speaker 1: Was this is this is this is a case in Sydney, right, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And you know they were weeks when you get to the more senior lawyers they over here, they wear weeks, so you know they're really they're like heavyweight boxes, you know, they were weak. And anyway, the case, this was the case. Right there's a lady sitting right next to me, like I'm just a spectator, and she's sitting right next to me. She's in a wheelchair, and she's really upset, right, and because the kids, the young guy that put her in that wheelchair that she I think she had purposely fine legs to walk around on before that she couldn't walk. She was in a wheelchair for life. Probably, I guess he was just getting grilled by like the prosecutor, which was, you know, a wig wearing barrister or lawyer or whatever. And I think even the barrister was going a bit sussed on this guy, the prosecutor, because this kid ruined her life. And I couldn't imagine as a professional driver, because I've been a professional full time taxi and bus driver for like well over a decade so and I never ever put anyone remotely close, you know, like, and so I couldn't understand what this kid was doing. But from what I gather watching the court case, he'd just come around it like a turn. He's rolling in the car of all his young kind of nineteen year old buddies, and you know they must have been goose enough royally because this lady was just walking along next to the cars in a perfectly safe place, you know, like when you come out shopping or whatever, and he just kind of walk, you know, and and they had no reason what to Like, I've been driving for so long. I've driven twenty four hour taxi ships where I just sleep like four hours at international airport before I load up there and everything else. You're just driving delirious after twenty two hours joke. And I've never done more than just like, you know, very little, Like I don't know how you can put a lady in a wheelchair for live.
Speaker 1: Unless what was the ultimate what was the ultimate outcomes or what happened with his ultimately was was the left off?
Speaker 2: He just got He just got a light wrap across the knuckles, because what were you having. Defense lawyer came with all these sub stories that he was got a medal given to him by the Rural Firefighting Service and he was the sister you know, all this nonsense, how we you know, stood up for him and just garbage. I couldn't believe it. What were you The lady was sitting next to me, ready to murder this guy and yelling out in open court or her fury, and the judge just sat there and didn't stop her for contempt or anything like. She just let it all slide.
Speaker 1: May I asked you a question, what would what would you have done? If I had said you didn't? Excuse me. We have a special guest today in the courtroom. His name is Benjamin. Benjamin, you get to sentence this fellow. What would you have sentenced him to?
Speaker 2: I put him in jail two years, and I would for four years. Wow, I'd have to know the case. Yeah, I mean these are just my perception. So maybe there's something wrong there. I'm just telling you my perception.
Speaker 1: What you're bringing up the right. Well, the thing is you're bringing up the idea of one of this idea of called justice. I gave up on that years ago. I don't even know what justice means. You have to look at what happens. Two things happen. This is important. There is the effect it has on the individual, and then there's the effect that has on the people. Now, for example, if you're an individual and you are a criminal, you can say, you know what, I don't have to worry about it because I just received the medal and they're going to let me off. And okay. However, if I come to your fine city of Sydney and you pick me up at the airport and you say listen, bloke or whatever your name is, let me tell you some whatever you do here, don't hit people with your car, especially old ladies. They will hang you. You understand that. Don't to do this.