Speaker 1: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you at fist pumper, A wooo, A handclapper, a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbu Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: No pursiness is every d void for HIPLI lost terms conditions eighty plus.
Speaker 1: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games that you can play for free, anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free welcome bonus at Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Lane.
Speaker 3: No pursiness is every d void over hip by lossing Conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: Really beloved, we are gathered here today.
Speaker 6: Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 2: Ri?
Speaker 4: Sorry we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 1: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered in lu case, I pronounce you Lucky play.
Speaker 4: For free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid we're prohibited by law eighteen plus terms and conditions applying. See website for details. With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 4: Play for free at Lucky landslots dot Com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus terms and conditions applying. See website for details.
Speaker 7: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gaesy, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 6: Good Evening. For nearly forty years, Jim Simoni patrolled Cleveland's Second District, a drug plagued area with one of the highest violent crime rates in the US. Named Supercop, Simoni generated headlines in public interest on a scale not seen since Elliot Neest searched for the Clevelands for Cleveland's Torso murderer in the nineteen thirties. Simoni entered police work after serving in Vietnam with the one hundred first Airborne, where he earned two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts. As a cop, he never shied from danger. He was involved in numerous gun battles and killed five people in the line of duty, all ruled justifiable notoriously equitable. As a cop, Simoni was more interested in doing the right thing than honoring the blue code. Badge three eight seven recounts the brave exploits that earned simone hundreds of commendations. In nineteen eighty three, while searching a church basement for a gunman, he was shot in a face. Despite his wounds, he managed to shoot his assailant, saving himself and two other cops. And in two thousand and nine, he plunged into a frigid river to save a woman. Simony was Cleveland's Patrolman of the Year in nineteen eighty and two thousand and nine, the only officer in the city's history to receive the award twice. The book that we're featuring this evening is Badge three eighty seven, The Story of Jim Simoni, America's most decorated Cop, With my special guest, journalist and author Robert Sperna. Welcome back to the program and thank you for a green diest interview. Robert Sperna, Thank you, Dan, thanks for having me back. Thank you very much for joining me on this programmed this evening with this incredible book The question I want to ask is, because i'm is, how did you make the decision to write this book at this time? With everything going on in America right now? True crime author, with all kinds of options, I would think for you to be able to write a book, why did was this book important? Why was a book about Jim Simone and his police work an important book to write? Now?
Speaker 2: I took kind of a circuitous route to this book. I originally in May twenty thirteen, Ariel Castro, the so called Cleveland kidnapper, who had held three women hostage in his house for ten years. He was in the news one of the women had broken loose, and the world saw the rescue of these three hostages. I wanted to do something on that book that was a Cleveland story. I'm a Cleveland dirt, but international media descended on that and I really couldn't. I didn't find I could get a real good piece of that book. In investigating that case, I discovered that Ariel Castro, who was a Cleveland school bus driver, had been Jim Simony had done a traffic stop on him a couple of years before. The women had escaped like two an eleven or so, and he had a dash cam of the traffic stop. And because Castro was a school bus driver, and Simoni knew that if he arrested him because he was he was riding a motorcycle with improper plates, arrested him, he'd lose his job. So Simoni gave him a warning let him go. So national news, national news shows were interviewing Simoni about that traffic stop because there was a big hunger for any news about the case, of course, and it even got as far as some broadcasters accusing Simony of letting the Cleveland kidnappers slip through his fingers, as if Jim would have known he had three women in his basement. Right. So I didn't get that book deal. But in talking to Simoni over the next year or so, and we had the Ferguson case with Michael Brown, we had Eric Garner in New York, we had two people in Cleveland that were killed by police. I just started getting interested in what happens in a police involved shooting. In other words, Dan, what happened to that split second where some police shoot and some police don't. I realized that I had a real gem in Simony not to be light hearted about this of course, because Jim had been involved in five fatal shootings, all will justifiable. So I pivoted towards him and start you know, I just proposed a book to him and we got it done. My goal in doing the book, of course, was to surface some issues about police involve shootings.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about you said, there's a couple of weighty questions. You said, what are the inciting factors compel a police officer to take legal lethal action? And you say, and this I think is important for all of us, is that can civilians fairly judge a cop split second response to perceived deadly situation and as the media acting objectively in its second guessing of police discretion or is there an agenda?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think at that split second we can really put ourselves in that police officers shoes. It's a matter of them believing that they're in fear for their lives, and how can we judge that? We can, however, looked at the context some officers most shootings, A small percentage of police officers are involved in a large percent of shootings in you know, the lates in the seventies, people coming out of Vietnam, such as Jim Simoni. They were given preferential hiring by police departments. They wanted that type of proactive, aggressive personality regimented like Jim was. That's a no nonsense you know Bosster the wall officer, that's the guy that would chase danger and not shy from danger and maybe face it head on. Okay, So if we look at it from that standpoint in twenty sixteen, now, maybe we can judge that. We can say, well, why did you run into that basement? The government wasn't going anywhere, he was trapped. Why not wait for swat? Why not wait for a supervisor to get there? So we can judge the actions beforehand, I think. But once an officer is face to face with somebody and they feel danger, it'd be very hard to second guess them. As to the question about the media, what I found out was, and I used to be a reporter for newspapers, I think the meetia nowadays were for They're forced into a position where they have to cover events, not news. Police shoots on our man that's the headline. Well that's true, maybe, but we don't have the whole story. It's gonna take a couple of days, maybe a week to find out really what the story was, What was he holding his hand? Why did the police officer feel like he was gonna kill him? We don't get that background anymore up front, you know, before electronic media, before blogs, you know, and citizen journalists, reporters had kind of an unspoken rule with police, you know, give us a couple hours, give us tomorrow morning, let us figure this out, and you know, we'll give you a story. Well, doesn't happen that way anymore. There's so much competition to get cliques coverage that they're just covering incomplete stories. Second, to add to that, collaterally, I think some special interest groups have discovered that they can almost partner with the media to get agendas across and in somewhat of a sensational way by blaming police for shootings. Now, I'm not an apologist for police. I'm not making excuses for them, but a very small percentage of police do make mistakes of millions of law enforcement officers out there, and we're seeing that in some cases that these situations are being seized on to push in. So I don't know that that's fair to a policeman, and society's going to pay for that, I think jumping in just a little bit, it's going to be harder to recruit police officers to an environment that they feel is hostile.
Speaker 6: Now with this book, and you talk about the environment, and we all know people listening to this program in America and outside of America know they know of the situation in America right now, the racial tension and the tension between civilians and police. I don't know if it's ever been worse, but it's a very crucial period right now. So when you're talking about writing an entire book about a cop, you've got to make sure that this is an extraordinary police officer and someone that's out of not typical. And that's what you found in Jim Simoni. So let's go back to his upbringing and how and what things shaped Jim Simony so that he could We talked about him going to Vietnam, So let's talk about his early childhood, his character, and what prompted him to be the kind of man that he became a war hero in Vietnam. Let's talk about his early life.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I yeah, I think Freud, you know, might have a field day with Jim. He in talking to Jim. I decided to focus on Jim because Jim had been there, so to speak, he'd been involved in shootings. But what I really wanted to know is why were you there? Why did you put yourself in those positions? I never really got that from him. Jim. You know, he's not I didn't find he's not completely an introspective person. He's a duer. He's a type as he's a get done person, not think about it. So I interviewed people around him, his brother, relatives, old friends, and he was raised by a very strong mother, very ethical, divorced at a young age, so he had a very close bond to his mother. His brother filled in a lot of the blanks. Mom was, you know, black and white. She didn't see great. Either something was right or it was wrong, and she wouldn't tolerate wrong. I think she instilled those ethics in Jim. His relatives, his stepfather's father, were all military veterans, combat veterans, so from a young age he had that filtered down to him. You know, the patriotism, willingness to serve sacrificial life for the country, those sort of ethics, and they were so strong that he you know, it was the type of individual didn't question them. So now we look back at Vietnam and you know, maybe we really have some serious concerns about why we were there. Jim wasn't that personality. He felt it was duty, his duty go to Vietnam. Now, every step of Jim's way, not only did he want to join to be in the infantry, but he wanted to be a paratrooper. So there always seemed to be some sense of proving himself. And I'm asking Jim, you know he wanted to be in combat. Jim, why did you pick situations or occupations that would put yourself at risk? And you know, he never really knew. He could never really explain, And just guessing with what I know, I think, you know, he's always maybe trying to live up to somebody's vision of what he should be, whether that's his own or his mother's. I'm not sure. I'm not sure what drove him, but I think I mean, he was a great soldier. I talked to his company commanders in Vietnam, and you know, if they needed to go, have somebody charge an enemy machine gun nests, Hey, Simoni, take somebody with him, get it done. And he do it. I don't know, I don't know why he put himself in those situations, but that's just what he did. He was, you know, obviously proving something to somebody. Okay, So comes out of Vietnam a young guy and goes into police work, and of course he takes he gravitates towards the most dangerous job of police has, which is traffic duty. Traffic stops the middle of the night, where you know, most the most dangerous people are you know, are you interact with, so they're always you know, throughout his life there's always that that willingness, almost compulsion to put himself in a situation where he could prove his his uh gallantry, his his courage. I would have to trigger to something. You have to attribute it to something in his childhood if I you know, as a layperson, you.
Speaker 6: Write in a book that's an interesting scene where he's eighteen years old and his stepfather walks into his room and says, hey, you know, you're eighteen and there's a war going on and basically tells him go and list tomorrow. So that's it's a testament to the kind of family comes from that they expect this from their family members.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he really in his mind he didn't have a choice. He could have gone Navy, he could have gone air Force, but you know Jim, Jim picked one hundred and first Airborne a fighting unit. Yes, you know. Now you talk about better way to see action, go ahead.
Speaker 6: You talk about his service in Vietnam, and it's impressive because because of the bravery that he he shows towards its fellow fellow military and doing things like you call him a tunnel rat where to go see if there was either bombs or you know, an army personnel in these tunnels. He was a small enough guy that he had gone in there at one hundred and sixty pounds, you saying he was down to one hundred and twenty pounds. It was five foot seven, and he could get into these tunnels. But tell us a little bit just to describe the amount of the level of bravery, what these tunnels involved, and what involved Jim going into these tunnels.
Speaker 2: During the Cat Defensive, I think there was nineteen sixty eight, the new year, the Viet Kong Viet Cong in the North Vietnamese Regular Army made a series of devastating attacks on the US and South Vietnam these bases, and they did it through that through a maze of tunnels that had built been built in the Kuchi district and really extended all the way throughout the country. And those had been built during the French Indo China War where the Vietnamese were power out numbered and out gunned, and they went underground. They had hospitals, they had ammunitions cachets down there, they hit out dining halls. So the order came down from from the top that whenever you guys came across one of these tunnel openings, you couldn't just walk by it. You had to go in. You had to find out if there's anybody in there. So Jim, who had lost a lot of weight, and it's kind of a short guy, he's about five seven, he's one of the few guys that could that could slip in there. And you know, as I say in the book, they'd go in bare chested with just a forty five in a flashlight, maybe a knife in their teeth, allright in head first and you know, look for viet Cong. Try to avoid booby traps. I mean the booby traps were almost comically lethal. I mean, snakes and that would be tied to posts and poisoned bamboo sticks. But you know, your commander tees you do something and you just do it. They you know, I guess you know, technically he asks for volunteers, but you know they're looking at you when they're asking for volunteers. So Jim another way for Jim to distinguish himself, to show his metal and he, uh, you know, he did it. He got the job done at his own risk.
Speaker 6: Now there's all these exploits that he has in Vietnam which again shape him and make him the person that he is, and he's more than prepared to be a police officer when he gets back. But let's talk about just the incredible scene that you have here where and again it's important because well it's important in the story. This Lieutenant Bill Meechim and Simone is again risking his life out in the field and where he didn't have to, and he is shot in the throat and so just take us to what his prognosis is in terms of people looking around on his likelihood of surviving. And this incredible story about this Lieutenant Bill Meacham that doesn't have to it's a helicopter pilot doesn't have to fly in there, but he does tell us about this.
Speaker 2: Story, right, Simony, you'd be you'd been trained as a radio operator if I could just digress for really quickly. A radio operator in Vietnam just had to be quick thinker, He had to be sharp, He had to be organized because you're you're communicating with so many different people, the the artillery, guns, your commanding officer, your platoon all at the same time. You got to keep everything straight. So Jim had that kind of mind that he could do that and just digressing for a second here when he was I have some tapes of him on police chases. Same organized, calm, under pressure mind. He's communicating with dispatch, with other officers, relaying his position, just very calm, like he's reading the newspaper. So even at eighteen or nineteen years old, some of the company commanders saw this and said, you know, you're back here. You're a radio operator. You're not out in the field as much as we are. We want you out here with us. So they get him out. And first of all, corporals and sergeants were always the first ones in. They were very visible, even though they took their stripes off in battle. The enemy knew who was leading the charge because they were the first ones out of the fox worlds, etc. So they were losing corporals and sergeants quite a bit. So on this one particular battle, they were out on patrol the company and they got nighttime. They were setting up an ambush. They thought they'd get a small group of Vietnam coming, you know, passing through this trail intersection.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 2: They look in the distance at night and they see what looks like, you know, reeds reads waving in the wind, and it turns out to be a couple of companies of Vietnamese soldiers coming back from attacking a fort. So they tried to relay the message to the lead guy not to spring the ambush, because you know, there was like fifty of these guys and two hundred of them of the enemy. Well, they couldn't do it. He sprung the ambush. So that battle raged all night long. They got surrounded on nearly surrounded on three sides. They're running low on ammunition. There was just no way to bring a helicopter into replenished their ammo, or even take out the wounded. The order came down to fix bannets Jim. What happened does Jim? A medic got killed. Another medic went to take his place. At that exact moment RPG, a rocket propelled grenade exploded rating That medic absorbed the shock, saving Jim's life, killing him and two other guys. Jim got some shrapnel's throat, so he was laying there. He had a severe wound, bleeding to death, stuck his finger in his throat, still manning the radio. Though he's still working the radio, his company commander came over. Didn't think he was gonna make it, but knew there was nothing he could do about it, so he went back to his position, made sure the guys were still firing. Whoever had AMMO left, Jim tells it. And this isn't a lass we forget by Bull Meachum, the helicopter pilot Jim was just as he was passing out. He felt a guy lift him up and said time to go. Sarge threw him in a helicopter and carried him away. Now that helicopter pilot Bull Meachum, he is part of a group called the Kingsmen. They called themselves.
Speaker 1: He was Hello, it is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day, playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me. You know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumpa Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home the hundreds oft casino style games you can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com. And lived the chumber line.
Speaker 3: No we're necessary, Davod wherever. If I lost in terms of conditions eighteen plus the.
Speaker 2: Supply helicopter, he wasn't even a meta back. I mean, he just decided to drop down and and help it, just a basically defying orders from the base because they felt it was too hot, too dangerous from the land. So Jim's Jim was just very fortunate that you know that an individual was willing, you know, I guess as brave as Jim really willing to take that risk to drop down and pluck him out at nineteen years old, and he had been promoted. I don't know if I mentioned this. He had been promoted to a platoon sergeant acting platoon sergeant at age nineteen for a couple of reasons, his leadership abilities and also the fact that they really needed personnel in those positions. So Jim had been in Vietnam for about ten months at that point. He ended up recovering back in the States after that wound and decided that he had enough. It was the second Purple Heart, second Bronze Star. He just didn't want to go back. He's seen enough death.
Speaker 6: He had seen his friend die in his arms as well, man named Ken, and he had seen a lot of death. And so you say when he came back he was not really prepared for the anti war sentiment too. Somebody called them a you know, people spitting at veterans. But anyway, he came back and he was again you talk about how he was working as a phone operator, came back home and then he was working at the home of a police officer couple, and they took a shining to him and then they said, hey, I think maybe you would be a good police officer. And so, as you write in the book, very interesting, he shows up on their door maybe a year later in a Cleveland police uniform, and so Jim Simone is on his way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think he did. In his words, he missed the adrenaline rush, he missed the camaraderie. Living on the tip of the knife edge. He wasn't getting that kind of satisfaction being a phone installer. He had that mentality. And this is him talking to I'm not putting words in his mouth, but in Vietnam it was kill or be killed. They were the enemy, you kill him. I think in some cases some of those veterans, uh, they didn't get much constantly when they came back. You can't go through something traumatic like that is as a teenager see your friends die killed here one minute, gone the next without that rewiring your brain somehow. And of course that's uh, as we talk about in the book PTSD that was never addressed. So Jim comes back, he becomes a police officer. Now you know a lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman, who does a lot of lecturing, and he's fond of talking about the wolves, the sheep and the sheep dogs. Okay, the sheep being citizens us, the wolves being you know, the bad guys. Of the criminals, and of course the sheep dogs would be the police officer who protect us. That's kind of that fastile way of police looking at their role in society as protecting us. Well, Jim had that. Jim very much adopted that ethos of him being the best person to protect us, and he brought that back to him for Vietnam, which is one of the reasons why he was a tunnel rat while he was first in. He felt that he could do that function better than anybody else, so it should be him going first. He had a lot of confidence in himself, So it wasn't just Ubrius that caused Jim to be the first in. It was probably mix your self confidence also, so Jim brings back that like a lot of other Vietnam vets. Now, as I mentioned the book, and I tried to be fair and objective in the book, it was I'm not just being a cheerleader for anyone police officer. If you come back from from war where everybody's not, where your uniform is an enemy, you maybe bring a little bit of that back here. Especially in Cleveland early seventies, there was a lot of racial conflict. There was rioting, police were not well liked, the community became the enemy. Well we know of course that the citizens, we are not the enemy. We have to be viewed differently than the the you know, the army viewed their enemy. So I think some of that was brought home with some of the returning veterans, and Jim just sunk his teeth into the business of being a police officer. He enjoyed it. I think he enjoyed the physicality of it. It was an opportunity to work off, maybe work out some issues. I don't know, but he definitely Back in those days, there was a lot of headbusting, you know, a lot of a lot of fighting, a lot of brawling. I think it was just the way, at least in Cleveland. You know, in some cases, the way business was done, police business was done. And that's how Jim. Jim approached it all or none, black or white, his way or no way. And I think that that mindset contributed, you know, you know a lot of ways to him being involved in situations where there was a confrontation with somebody. Back then, there really wasn't There didn't seem to be an effort to really talk somebody down or negotiate or try to try to wait somebody out to see if they could get them to a different level mentally, whether you could disarm them. It was pretty much over in a flash. And Jim's first shooting was nineteen seventy seven, a couple of years after getting on the force. Guy with a gun on a rooftop pointed it at him and Jim fired, and that was his first shooting.
Speaker 6: But you talk about the result right after that, he said that research told Simoni, I will kill you if I have to, and he says, if you do shoot me, my partner has a revolver aimed at your right ear. And then he said, I'm not going to prison, and so Simoni had to. He pointed his pistol at Simoni, and Simoni fired a shotgun.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: And he said that other officer said that he went to the edge of the rooftop and vomited over the side. That's how upset he was that he to resort to deadly force.
Speaker 2: Right, No doubt that it, you know, did affected him emotionally. Reser. One of the maybe my primary objective in writing the book was to analyze those five shootings that Jim and Binion talked to the relatives talked to survivors to see what the fact, what the dynamics were of that shooting, What what were the steps that brought that person in conflict with the police officer. All the five people that Jim shot had a very similar profile. They were all depressed, separated from their spouses, had indicated they were suicidal, had drug problems. Reeser was the same. He was a dishonorably dishonorably discharged marine, living in his car, had separated with his from his wife, had told his wife he wanted to die. I guess, you know, to use a cliche, suis side by top. When he aimed his gun, he wrote his he wrote his own script when he aimed his gun at a police officer. I mean, that was it. And you know, Jim was the Jim was the guy that fulfilled that wish. I guess.
Speaker 6: You talk about it in the book two.
Speaker 2: We just go ahead, No, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, go ahead, Dan.
Speaker 6: What you'd read in the book too, is to explain the situation at that time. And it is incredible. You said, in nineteen seventy two there was three hundred and thirty three homicides where ten years before there were fifty nine and seventies ushered in a new era of while the drug era basically, and he volunteered or was placed or wanted to be in a place where there had been riots Glenville, and there was a noticeable tension between Blax and police. And it was incredible that again his bravery and his willingness to go into areas of conflict was very interesting, to say the least.
Speaker 2: I would almost take it a step further, his need to go into these areas he was when that car went out for a police down or police needed I mean, his car was the first one there. I mean, he'd tell me they did deask can video of other officers driving away from the from the scene, and as he was going towards it. It's just how he was wired to get involved. I think he got a taste of that excitement, that adrenaline Vietnam. I mean, it must have been incredibly an incredible rush to be jumping a helicopter, be shoppered into a landing zone. In seconds later you're trading gunfire with an enemy. I mean, you can't imagine the adrenaline involved there. And I suppose that gets addicting so Jim. Jim enjoyed that it was and it was another way for him to show his bravery and distinguish himself from other policemen, make a name for himself. Almost. Yeah, he just he couldn't avoid it. He wouldn't have missed that opportunity. Couldn't work nights on weekends, he'd be angry. He wanted Friday and Saturday nights. That's when you know, that's when all the action is. Couldn't sit at a desk, would have Jim would have could have never set at a desk. Just wasn't It wasn't his thing.
Speaker 6: And even though he appreciated the promotion to homicide at one point in his career, he really just wanted to be a patrolman so he could be in on the action. And also just to him, because we haven't really described him, because it sounds like he's a little bit of a hot dog, but in reality, he's more of a I know, it sounds cliches, it sounds like something off television, but he's a guy that's trying to have even though he's in conflict. There are numerous cases in this book where he disarms somebody where other people would have other officers on the scene said that guy would have got shot. So he's conflict resolution is what he's interested in. And also he just goes out of his way in so many different ways to help out. He really is unusual. And then the big thing that I thought was again very very admirable and unusual even for all the other police, is that his line that he drew in terms of his policing. He offered no one any breaks, and you offer great examples of that. So tell us a little bit about examples of how he never offered anybody a break, regardless of who it were.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, first of all, I wanted to address that about Jim's conflict resolution. Yeah, Jim, Jim would try to Jim was a protector. Jim was a sheep dog, and his objective wasn't, of course, to go out and hurt people or kill people. And he's too I found him to be too compassionate, too kind for that. That wasn't his goal. His goal was to disarm, to disarm danger, to defuse situations. And if he could do it. He's a great talker. He's very quick on his feet, he's a very bright guy. And if he could talk somebody down. That's the way he do it, and he was very successful doing that. So yeah, I should kind of make the point that Jim was involved in five shootings, but he was a very active police officer with thirty eight years of service, so that's it seems like a lot, but he did his job. Yes, there were so many situations where he was able to handle this situation non violently. So I'm glad that I was able to get some of those in the book, and thank you for mentioning that you And I'm sorry, Dan, what was the I got myself last year?
Speaker 6: What was this?
Speaker 2: The question that was on the table.
Speaker 6: Basically, what I was asking was the examples of how he did. When we talk about an officer that shot five people and then we put in brackets, but those were justifiable. In the climate that is today, it would sound like maybe we're just pro police because you see the sort of that blue code in play today that no matter what is on that video, somebody says, well, you just don't know the circumstances. Not being very sensitive to the people that are out there that are seeing this videotaped seems to be regardless of whether what's going to happen in a year at the trial, but it sure looks like an unjustified shooting. So when we talk about Jim Simony and the five homicides that he regrets having anything to do with, there are numerous cases of him risking his life to disarm somebody that would have been shot by police.
Speaker 2: Not only did Jim see himself as a sheep dog protecting the sheep, let's just use that term for us, but he also was protecting other officers. Jim because he had his military experience. He was a great shot, he was a pistol instructor. He had confidence himself that he could resolve a situation, handle a situation probably better than anyone else. That was his leadership ability. That's part of his character, that leadership. That's why people gravitated around him. So he'd go in this situation, and I can't say that Jim went in recklessly. He went in because he knew he was the best guy for that job. Because he had that military experience. He knew tactics, he knew strategies. He wasn't going in trying to shoot somebody. He just wanted to defuse the situation. Now, you you had mentioned about his how equitable he was in treating people. Yeah, I talked earlier about his mom, black and white, right or wrong. Jim has that that same set of ethics, very by the book. If it's wrong, it's wrong, no matter who's doing it. He was not averse to arresting his fellow officers, even his supervisor. He's a real stickler for drunk driving. He made a tremendous number of drunk driving arrests. And there were a couple occasions where he caught police officers behind the wheel when they shouldn't have been. And there are cases where Jim made the arrest. In fact, if other officers caught somebody behind the wheel, you know, a well known figure in Cleveland, or another police officer, and they felt that this person should be arrested, they'd sometimes called Jim because they knew he'd do it. I mean, he wasn't afraid to put himself on the line and do that, and that's all part of his h I think I can attribute that to his upbringing, his mom, that that code, that strict code that she instilled in him. I mean, he couldn't. It was hard for him not to do the right thing.
Speaker 6: And this is a time when Cleveland police force. Other police forces too, but Cleveland was notorious for officers taking bribes. So you as you chronicle in the book many cases where they said, no, no, it's okay, Jim, the case is you know, it's been handled, or it's been dealt with, or we're dropping it. And he said, no, we're not. So he really he didn't. He went against the brass. They called him super but he went against the brass. But at the same time, even though and you, I guess you can explain it, even though he did would bust a fellow officer's kid for impaired driving or even a fellow officer, how did he maintain that line of respect within the police force?
Speaker 2: Well became difficult for him. He had a dash cam before they were even equipped in cars. He had his own dash cam. Mother's against drunk driving and given one as a prize, an award for making so many arrests. And then when Jim was arresting a couple officers and a couple friends of officers, he almost became a political liability to the brass. You know, Jim, you just give this guy a warning, dropped this case in homicide. He didn't want to take bribes, which is another reason he got out of that so he could go to back to the street. So when the brass not that Jim SIMONEI wasn't gonna play ball, and not that they were corrupt. I'm not saying they were corrupt, but in certain situations they put a little lean on Jim a little bit. Hey give this guy a break, he's a friend of the forest. Things like that. Jim won. Well, once he did that, he became a praia, a little bit of a liability, a threat. They couldn't control him. So he put himself in a position almost and he would he would say this where he almost had now to arrest another police officer if he was doing something wrong, because if he cut that person to break, he wasn't following orders, he wasn't following the rules, and now he's breaking the rules and they'd have a case against them. So Jim put Jim was in a situation now where he had to do everything right. His videos were a god send to him. They backed up everything. Cases would depleted out in court once the defense it's attorneys Jim's video. But yeah, he started out with that that code of ethics ended up being something that he had to adhere to because he made enemies among the brass. And not just not just because he was willing to, you know, arrest fellow officers, but not that he went hunting for him, but he just didn't see color. Something was wrong and was wrong. So not just that, but Jim was very active. Jim worked, He wasn't he wasn't a slacker. His statistics for arrests, founty arrest, misdemeanors, traffic stops, drunk driving, they were all very high, much higher than in the other people in his uh, in his district, in his unit. So it you know, there was a little resentment of jealousy towards him from other police officers, of course, because he was out shining them. It's normal in any profession. So Jim ended up, you know, he as he would say, he wasn't real popular in the locker room at times, but he didn't care. He was doing his job. He had nobody to please but himself. He had set his own standards, he lived up to his standards, and he was pretty much a loaner. He had a couple partners that he worked with very closely, but for most of his career, he wrote alone, he was a one man unit. He preferred that that way. Then he could work at his own pace and his own style.
Speaker 6: You say that it was your task to examine these shootings, and it's a good thing that you did. So let's talk about the David Workman shooting where Jim Simoni gets shot in the face, goes through his cheek and exits his body, even hits another officer. So tell us about the David Workman shooting. And in nineteen November nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 2: Jennis Workmen again fit that profile. Unhappy man in his thirties, relationship problems, job problems, drug problems, had expressed an interest in dying. Previous to this, he'd been up for about three nights. He was drug induced insomnia. Again. I interviewed his wife. His wife was very helpful wife, and his pastor might have been hallucinating. He was paranoid. He hijacked the car to high school and he holed up in a church. He somehow he told the high school principal. He ran into the high school and told the principal that he needed to save all the kids, and let's take him down to the basement. The principal was quick thinking. She saw the gun in his waistband by the way, and she said, hey, look, why don't you go to your church because he had told the worst church was and I'll bring the kids there. He said, great, I'll meet you at the church. So they tracked the stolen car that he's to the church. In front of the church. They knew he was there. They knew he was down in the basement. The altar was overturned.
Speaker 4: So Jim step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 5: I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.
Speaker 4: With family, canoli's and spins mean everything.
Speaker 6: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business.
Speaker 5: Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com.
Speaker 7: Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather Slode.
Speaker 5: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 7: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the.
Speaker 3: Family vdW group. No pech's necessary. I believe we're privited by loss. He terms and conditions eighteenth plus have been was.
Speaker 2: Working in juvenile division. He'd angered superior officer because he wouldn't drop a case against a highly connected attorney. So you know, they dinged him a little bit and they put him in juvenile Jim, here's the chatter over the radio. Even though he was this wasn't his call. He was actually doing court in an hour. He charged over there, because that's Jim's nature. You know, he's danger. He knows he's the guy to take care of it. He gets to the church, he quickly sizes up the situation. They checked all the doors on the first floor. Jim, you know, knew he's probably in the base, so he starts heading down into the basement. Didn't ask anybody to go with him, but two other officers, John Thomas and Brian Miller. They couldn't let him go alone, so they followed him down there, checked all the doors except one door. There was a supply closet, so Jim had the guy stand behind him. He got down on one knee, thinking if these this guy shoots, they'll shoot over his head. Jim swung the door open. The muzzle of the Dennis Workman's gun. He wrested it, sorry, rested it against Jim's cheek and waitn sorry about that a little phone problem. He placed the gun barrel against Jim's cheek and shot and went in in Jim's left cheek, under his eye, at the back of his head, hit John Thomas's femoral artery, his leg, the officer behind him, and immediately blood started spurting from him. Workman then shot again, shot Brian Miller in his shooting hand, so he disarmed three police officers or two shots. Uh. Thomas, who was losing a lot of blood, crawled behind a wall. Miller fired back, but he you know, he was shooting with his non dominant hand. Jim Jim. When the bullet went through his head, Jim's head, Jim fell backwards, his head slammed against the linoleum floor, and he was semi conscience. He's losing blood. Workman fired at Jim point blanket somehow missed him. And this is maybe a mystery of the book because Workman was a former marksman in the army. He was a hunter from West Virginia. He was a dead shot according to his wife, and for him to miss Jim from three feet away is mysterious. But anyhow, he disappears back in the closet. Jim somehow summons up enough energy to get up on his knees and shots. Once went through the closet door and killed workmen. He shot him in the chest, then he passed out. They take him to the hospital and even though he shot in the head, somehow the bullet missed anything vital. They didn't even know there was an exit wound. He left the hospital two days later. Thomas was in the hospital for weeks because of his injury. Jim leaving in the hospital two days later after getting shot in the head, that maybe began his nickname super Cop. Do you have? The legend of super cop began? Then there was quite a bit of media coverage, of course, in a situation like this in nineteen eighty three, and Jim became kind of a you know, darling of the media. He was very quotable, always accessible, and the media liked them, the public liked them, and this was the beginning of Jim's super cop persona and his public recognition. This situation, Now, if we look at that case just quickly, I guess you can second guess it. You can second guess any situation, you know, maybe wait for swat, maybe wait for a supervisor. But in Jim's mind, I am you know, I am nine to one one. I am, you know, the White Knight. I'm I'm swat. I mean, there's danger in the base, Jim's gonna go down and confront it. That's what he was, you know, at some point, that's what he was hired to do. I mean, you can't fault them. We gave him the badge, the equipment, the training to go down to do that. There's a little second guessing on that, but in the end, you know, he the care of the situation. Dennis Workman had told his wife that he wanted to die. However, he had religiously felt if he committed suicide, he wouldn't go to heaven. You know, if we were to surmised, maybe this was his way of leaving the world without not by not by his hand. So Jim he was a self duty for several weeks and he came back, came back to duty.
Speaker 6: Now you talk, there's all kinds of stories that you chronicle in here about his bravery and again once he's attached to super cop sort of title, and also that he's the darling of the press. He goes on to save a person burning in a that's and it runs into a burning home. But let's talk just a little bit about a couple sad things and a couple good things in Jim's life. Namely, he meets a woman. But to part of the reason why he runs into a burning house is that five years earlier, he gets a call in his forty six year old mother. Tell us a little bit about that. Again against shaping Jim's character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim's mother a very strong influence in his life. I need a very strong bond with her every night on his dinner. How we'd go over there and should make him dinner. Tragic fire, electrical fire in her house. She died. I imagine Jim was devastated. A couple long after that, he's driving by burning house with his partner. He knew he had been, he'd been on a case there. He knew there were children that lived in that particular house. He knew it would take a while before the fire department had got there, so he didn't hesitate. Maybe, you know, his mom's death and a fire motivated him. But he entered the house. He ran in again, just Jim's nature hard wired to rescue. The protector got in there, did the searge found that there weren't children in there but did get overcome by smoke. A couple other officers went in after him and we're able to drag him out. Jim. That particular incident resulted in Jim being named Police Officer of the Year for Cleveland. And you know, again we have the you know, the super Cup legend growing here. His willingness to risk his life to save others everything. We you know, that's what we wanted, police officer, protector, fearless, doing the right thing, and Jim, Jim was doing that. You know.
Speaker 6: It's some story that later. You have a story that later that day though, while Simone was in the hospital, another officer comes and gives him a tip on a murder suspect. Yes, yes, Jim gets dressed and they go make an arrest and they find some machine guns and all kinds of weapons.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean there was these guys were machines, they were outliers. They just uh just wanted to fight crime. They just wanted to just wasn't a job for him. Jim likes to say, if they knew how much fun I was having, they wouldn't have paid me. Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's interesting too. You talk about a man that met him at that time that the officer that got him to go arrest these guys with the shotguns and the machine guns. And this guy's a former marine and his name some some Skiensius and and so they partner together. And it's a real good police partnership, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. They both had a tremendous work ethic any hour of the day, they were policemen twenty four to seven. It's just what they enjoyed doing. It was a passion for them. So Jim, Jim, you met his counterpart, and they were great teams. I think Dave was fifty. He had Dave Sumskis. He had to open heart surgery and he didn't he didn't make it through surgery. But yeah, that was probably very tough for Jim. Here he meets the guy with the same values and ethics and they had each other's back, and you know, his partner died. Yeah, they were quite a partner. They were so effective. They had pens. They were what were they three to eighteen A. I think they were. I probably have their their car number rock, but there were car to eighteen A. They had pens made that. Uh, you'll never get away from two eighteen a. So throughout the neighborhood, throughout the district, they patrolled, They were they were very popular, except with bad guys of course.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Now you talk about a couple of the other shootings that he is unfortunate enough to be involved with, Why don't you discuss the next shooting that he's involved with and the particulars of that.
Speaker 2: That would be the bank shooting. Yes, uh no, I'm sorry. That was Michael Chacci. Michael Chachi. Uh. Young guy had a drug problem. It injured his leg, couldn't work his construction job, had an argument at home with some family members, had to move out. Depressed, just depressed, kind of angry at authority. I got this from some of his childhood friends. He had a gun. We don't know why he had the gun, but he was standing on the front lawn with the gun and he had waved it at some police officers as he drove by them. That precipitated to chase Jim in the lead. He stops his car in front of the house that he was staying at. There were oh maybe a dozen officers there. There is tape of this and you can hear the officer screaming put the gun down, put the gun down, and Chachi didn't put the gun down. He wasn't aiming at anybody, but he just didn't want to comply. For whatever reason. They didn't want to let him go in the house because his friend and his wife and their child was in there, and they were afraid they were going to have a hostage situation. So this is a difficult situation. You got a guy with a gun that wants to go in a house where there's a child.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 2: So there's screaming at him, yelling at him. Jim tried to position himself so he could pepper spray Chachi, but he at that point, Chachi turned and lowered the gun barrel and he died. They fired at him. Jim was one of the one of eight police officers that shot him. Turns out that the gun that Chachi was holding was unloaded. His an empty gun. Well, they couldn't know that, of course, they didn't know that. I mean, just another situation of somebody that maybe just didn't want to live anymore. Another officer. During the gun the gunfire, a bullet muster ricocheted and hit Jim in his vest. He thought he thought he'd been struck by Chachi, but it was a friendly fire, so he went down. He went to the hospital. And that shooting took a long time to sort out. The police prosecut dien't rule on it for a while. So those eight officers were off duty in Cleveland, they would spend time in the gym. They took them off the street and put them in the gym for a while, quite a long while actually, till that got sorted out, and it did eventually rule justifiable, and Jim was back on the street. And do you want to talk about the fifth shooting? Now?
Speaker 6: Sure? What I wanted to mention just before that, is that in that shooting you talk about sometimes maybe the media has an agenda or they have a narrative that they want to push or use a story as an example, what did they make of that case? Where wasn't it a black man and was shot? And regardless of justifiable, the stories weren't so heroic or depicting Simony as such a hero and those in that anyway, well.
Speaker 2: Yes, what happened, well though Chachi was white, through all of Jim's victims were white. Yes, what happened was even though after the third shooting or so it was just rule justifiable. Jim was in defense of his life. However, and now you get a fourth shooting, now justifiable and not justifiable. People are starting to ask questions, why why one guy involved in so many shootings? What's going on here? Other officers go through their whole career without even drawing their gun. Why so questions were asked. And then, of course, now we've got an additional fact that changes a story. The gun was unloaded, but that fact becomes part of the story, becomes part of the narrative, even though it wasn't a fact known to the police, has been seen at the time. So we've got a little bit of the tide turning against Jim. From a holistic standpoint that yes, he shot four people, those are four lives lost. Were they justifiable? Yes? Was he in fear of his life? Yes, of course. But it was getting to the point where the public was starting to say, what's going on here? The media, in particular a couple columnists, I think one of them actually called Jim a serial killer with a badge. So he became a target. It became somewhat somewhat easy to brand him as somebody that's trigger happy. Never mind that there were eight other police officers there, and then now, whenever there was a police involved shooting at this time period after this, the newscasters would manage to bring Simone's name into it. You know, they'd say, well, police officers, you know, they just bring him up randomly. They'd use him as an example of a police officer that was involved in a lot of shootings. So Jim's reputation was kind of preceding him a little bit, uh, and that caused some problems for him. He became the go to guy when people wanted to charge, you know, logic case of police brutality, they named Simony. In some cases he wasn't even working the day they claimed that he beat him up. So yeah, Jim became kind of a lightning route at this point for charges that police were heavy handed, we're trigger happy.
Speaker 6: What did Jim feel like in terms of having that sort of spotlight on him and that sort of view of him as a as a police officer. What did how did he feel about that?
Speaker 2: I think he seemed to have regretted it, But he also his mantra, and I think he's right, is that if you weren't there. You don't know what happened. I mean, I have never had a gun barrel pointed at me. I don't know what I do. I'm sure I would be afraid. I'm sure i'd react maybe the same way he did. Unless you've been in a life or death situation, a national situation where you feel like you're going to lose your life, it's very hard to judge the actions of somebody else. The chat case was difficult. He wouldn't comply, he wouldn't drop his gun. If he would have complied, he's still here today, There's no question. I talked to the neighbors that were there, you know, they pretty much confirmed the investigator's account of it, that the gun barrel was lowered, it was in a position to fire. What else could they have done. So, on one hand, Jim regrets it. On the other hand, he's okay with it. He's okay that he did the right thing, and he did something that most cops probably would have done in that situation.
Speaker 6: You talk about a split, split moment decision. But what I think a lot of people have issue again, and maybe you spoke to Jim about this, this question that always comes up was it necessary to have that many shots to shoot that person that many times? What is his take on how many sometimes how many bullets are used to kill somebody, which obviously more or spent than are needed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this gets in, This gets into a tricky area here. I talked to a free psychologist of prints of psychologists, who he's an expert strang an aggression, and he said, the fear is contagious. Once one officer fires, the other ones are gonna fire. We're talking about it right now. We're very relaxed, there's no danger. But in that rapidly evolving situation at nighttime with a guy with a deadly gun in his hand, anything could happen. They want to go home at night, so you know they're gonna fire. They're gonna defuse the situation, remove the danger, fire until it's over. Yes, it was a lot of shots. You know, there's some thinking there by the anti police establishment, the special interest groups that all police fire, because then it makes it harder to determine who It makes it harder to make anybody culpable for a shooting. You know, they find all the bullets, so who really fired first? You know, you hear those theories too. I just think it's the fear is contagious. They don't want to be shot, so you know they took action.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about the we haven't talked about the final shooting that he is accused of, or or that he's involved in the fatal shooting. So let's talk about that, the final the fifth shooting.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh. This guy, Robert Hackworth, he fit the template, middle aged, our thirty year old white male, depressed drugs, lost his job, had a record he had earlier they taken a test drive of a jeep at car dealership with a Stone driver's license, and he took off. The jeep drove down to a bank on Jim's day off. Jim used to go in there on his day off, and he was you know, he's, you know, the last guy to cash his paycheck at the teller window. He's in there. He knew immediately when Jim walked in the bank something was wrong because the tellers all knew him. They'd all waving him and talked to this time, they looked very upset. It was very quiet in there. He immediately figured out who what was going on and who the robber was. The guy saw Jim. He ran out of the bank. Jim not in uniform, but had his gun in his tucked in his belt. However, his radio was in his car. He gave chase. Now the individual Hackworth had stuck his hand in his pocket to simulate having a gun in there when he robbed the teller. So he's running from the bank. A lady driving by. I wish I could have interviewed her. I never found her, but she might have recognized Jim. She said that guy robbed the bank. Jim said, I know. She gave him a ride. They chased him. She stopped him. As Hackworth got into the jeep to stawn jeep to escape, The lady dropped Jim off right in front of the jeep, so he was in Hackworth's line of fire right there. So Jim screamed, dropped the gun and uh, you know, hands up, hands up. Hackworth reached down towards his pocket. Jim shot one time, killed him. Turns out that Hackworth was unarmed, there was no gun, and what he was probably doing was he the die pack from the money that he had stole had exploded, and that die pack contains tear gas and it was burning his crotch actually, and he was probably trying to remove that money from his crotch. It was painful, and that's the motion that Jim saw. Jim, the prosecutor in this case, decided to take this case to the grand jury. He felt that Jim was not justified in shooting Hackworth. So a couple of things were going on. There was some demonstrations. Hackworth's girlfriend did some TV interviews saying that Jim acted rashly, had no business shooting him, he was unarmed. She died a couple of weeks later of a heroin overdose actually, and they just had a child together, Uh, tragically. So Jim's going to go to the grand jury on this case, and there was a lot of media. The media really was starting to get on him about this case. Jim shot somebody over money. Well, it wasn't over money. He thought the guy was armed and he was running around with a gun. If he was going to rob a bank, who knows what else he was going to do. Called nine to one one, Jim, Jim likes to say, well, I am nine one one. This is my job. So he had his position, others had theirs. The fact was, though this was the first fifth person he's killed. That's a very high number. Now, a reporter actually did some research throughout the United States and found out there was no other active duty police officer with that many fatal shootings that was still on the job. So Jim, Jim had, you know, distinguished himself in a very infamous way with his shooting. So he decided that he wanted to talk before the grand jury. Kind of an unusual tactic to have the person talked before the grand jury because that can be used against him. But whatever he told that grand jury influenced them to return a Nobel. He was not indicted. He's still I think that shooting might have left him with a black eye. You can't escape the fact that the guy didn't have a gun, And then that fact became part of the story after the fact we now know he was unarmed. It colors the story unfairly, you would say, because he pretended he had a gun. So Jim, yeah, you know, Jim's a little by that. A year later, though, if I can move forward to the rescuing the women from the Frozen River, Jim again distinguished himself a woman, two women intoxicated walking through an area of Cleveland downtown by the river was frozen. They decided to walk over the river as a short cut, and one woman fell in. Jim got to the scene. Rescue scouts were there. He immediately starts stripping off his clothes. They're like, where are you going? He goes, I'm going in, and he went in. After the water was so frigid that he managed to grab her. They saved her, but he went under and fire department had to go in and save him. That that action was his here in the second police officer the award award for that for Cleveland, the only the only officer in the history of the city to durn that award. So Jim was back in the spotlight. Supercop was back. He was a hero. If you will again, I guess you could say it redeemed himself from that Hackworth shooting, because that was controversial, even though Jim it was essentially ruled justifiable. Jim followed procedure. I guess you could say it did leave a bad taste in some people's mouths. But now here he saved a life at the risk of his own life.
Speaker 6: You talk about that columnist, a journalist that basically called him a serial killer with a badge, and then that person's reversal too, going on a drive along with Jim Simone. So that I thought was very interesting. Maybe tell us a little bit about that conversion of attitude towards Jim Simoni once she went on a with him during a shift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to I think I have to commend her for that. Actually, she's a very popular journalist and columnists in Cleveland, and she took a chance and started bashing Jim in her columns and questioning his tactics and essentially branding him a gunslinger and a guy that took unnecessary risks and was reckless. And Jim called her, and you know, Jim, very cool headed professional. He called her said, hey, you have the right to say what you want about me, but it would have been a nice if you at least talk to me first. She took him up on that, on his courtesy call, she rode with him, And I think that a couple of things happened. Jim's charisma, Jim's been, you know, incredibly charismatic. He's very straightforward and direct. You feel very comfortable around him. He is the guy you want next to you. If there's she probably gravitated towards his personality number one, and secondly, actually saw on the streets at a late hour of night what happens and what could happen. She saw for herself that it's that's dangerous out there, and you don't have to go looking for danger in certain areas of certain cities. It's there. And if you want to do your job effectively and come between the bad guys and the good guys, there's going to be situations where you have to use your weapon. I think she saw that, and she ended up writing several complimentary columns about Jim. And it didn't help, of course that the switchboard is playing dealer. After her first couple of negative columns, columns was deluged with supporters of Simonis who felt that she had branded him unfairly. So she even she admitted that that was a big, big part of her deciding to take the ride along, all the negative backlash she had gotten. She wasn't expecting that. I think she said in one of her colmns she got five hundred negative comments. So now as a columnist, I mean she's smart. Now she saw that Simoni was she was going to get a lot of a lot of readership from writing about Simony. He was a controversial guy. He had at a lot of supporters and she kind of jumped on that bandwagon. Now, so yeah, it was quite a conversion. Actually.
Speaker 6: Now this police work took this toll in terms of his private life. He's divorced at thirty four, and he has three daughters. But you do tell about that he does have a good relationship with his daughters and they have a good relationship with him. They have a good attitude towards him, as you written a book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he's a dad. I mean he took care of his daughters. He's a protector, is not around a lot. He spent a lot of a lot of overtime. Jim's a workaholic. I mean he would have been that way no matter you know what what field he was in. It's just the way he approaches life. While or none. So maybe he probably wasn't around as much as they would have liked. But yes, I met all three and they all have a very good relationship with Jim.
Speaker 6: You did father tell us about the scene, the very profound scene that you have with the one daughter asking a question of her father and finally getting that answer after all those years, it's very profound.
Speaker 2: Oh God, Dan, can you refresh me just a little bit on that one.
Speaker 6: Well, I guess it was the he had never spoken about Vietnam, so I guess mentioning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a lot of combat veterans, he just didn't talk about it. And you know, one day, I mean, Jim's very just in general, Jim gets very emotional about Vietnam. I mean, he's got He's not a cold hearted person as someone might think. He actually is very compassionate and very in touch with his feelings. And he is just losing a couple of his friends. That Kenny Kodaaluck that you mentioned earlier, that medic that died, that had a profound effect on Jim. And I think, yeah, he shared that, he opened up about that, he opened up about Vietnam. He got it out, and maybe for these four guys that came back from Vietnam, maybe they could have had some consoling and been able to speak about things when they came back instead of years later. But you know, it happened for Jim when it happened Coda Luck dying, Jim saw at a young age how final death was and you know, that could have influenced his approach to danger. He didn't want to die. He didn't want other people to die, ironically, so he put himself in a situation to protect other people. Maybe you know that Kenny kotoluck death impacted him so much. Other soldiers that I talked to the service, Jim said it really devastated him. So he finally got those feelings out when he was ready to get the feelings out. And it's probably a lot of burden for a veteran to carry around Vietnam. We just didn't have again those social services available, or or maybe the veterans weren't really encouraged or incentive to take advantage of those services. But yeah, he he opened up. And even now when you talk to him about Vietnam, he'll tear up. We'll cheer up about it.
Speaker 6: It's interesting line you have in the book about they said, when was the last time you were in Vietnam? And they said, everyone would say last night?
Speaker 2: Right, still can't watch war movies, They still bother him. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now, when it comes time finally for Jim Simony to retire, tell us about the non retirement.
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, Jim had to retire he was at a certain age and the pension board had required to him to retire, he would have never left. He leaves, He waits out the sixty days that he has to by, you know, stay pension law, and then he hooks up with a couple suburban police officers and he's also doing warrants for the city. So Jim likes to say that retirement's been great. He's down to working sixty hours a week. He's still busy, still out there. He's still the sheep dog. It's just who he is. I don't think he could be anything else. It's what made him, what made him a good cops, who made him a great cop.
Speaker 6: In the last part of your book, you talk about you ask Jim Simone to talk about and deconstruct the shootings of Russell Williams and Tamir Rice. And these are the ones that have sparked so much controversy, so much unrest, and a complete rehaul of the way people think police and civilian relations have evolved over the years. It looks like we haven't evolved too far at all whatsoever. And the Black Lives Matter and the movement, So tell us what Jim Simone was, what he had to say when when he was to deconstruct the shootings of Russell Williams and Tamir Rice, Well, uh.
Speaker 2: Jim, Jim's not a hypocrite. He is not a hypocrite. His mantra was you don't know if you were there, and he wasn't there for either one of those shootings. However, he does have theories, so he couldn't you know, he couldn't speak of course to how the how the officers felt that shot is what I meant. But the fear is contagious once you think somebody's shooting and and the police that were on the scene for the Russell and the Williams, the couple that was killed, they heard backfiring, they thought they were being shot at. There were a lot of mistakes made by the police officers that night. There were a lot of officers at that scene that shouldn't have been there at the scene. There are supervisors there that shouldn't have been there. Yeah, there was some some strategic, many strategic problems with that that shooting. But Jim just said, you know, you're you're the adrenaline is flowing, your limbic system takes over. You're not necessarily thinking rationally, we just start shooting because other people are shooting. That's that case. Now, that was part of the Justice Department decree came down for that to rehaul overhaul Cleveland's police department. That was one of the one of the situations that they looked at carefully and the Justice Department didn't like. So there's being there's some changes being made in the Cleveland Department Police Department Division of Police because of that. That's one of the cases. All right. Now it's Mere Rice shooting. That's a little different because we have video, and that was a twelve year old, twelve year old boy playing with a replica gun in a gazebra at a park. He had removed the orange safety tip from the gun though, so it looked like a real gun. There were a lot of mistakes made in that case, and Jim himself says, in any shooting, there's a series of mistakes that lead up to the shooting. Somebody made some bad decisions and compounded those bad decisions that led to that. And this is a good case. Tamir Rice, twelve years old playing with a toy gun. A dispatcher, somebody reported a dispatcher that a guy was playing with a gun. Now, Tamiris large big for his age. So this person said it could be a child told the dispatch of that that information was never relayed to the police officers responded, they didn't know that. All they heard was somebody with a gun. So if you see the tape and Jim analyze the tape for a TV station, that cars comes driving up towards the kid Tamir rather very quickly and skids on the snow. So those police officers now are rate in front of Tamir rights whom they think is older and has a real gun. And from there, you know, tragedy unfolded. The police officer shot Tamir a couple of times, we find out he's twelve years old. We find out it's a replica gun. Of course that's not you know, that's going to be something that the public is going to recoil against. And uh, tragedy all the way around. Now what one of the things though that occurred was that the police officer the tactics. Maybe the car shouldn't have been so close, but Jim says, that's you know, that's procedure because most people run when you show, you know, when you the police show up and Tamir didn't run. So we've got a lot of you know, a lot of situations there that somebody might have done something differently in that situation, Jim didn't necessarily want to second guess that officer that was on the scene because again Jim wasn't there, but that information the dispatcher then that didn't relay that crucial information that it might have been a child just quit her job. She wasn't really available to debrieth. So that was a tough case. That was a very difficult case in the sorry go ahead, No, I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 6: The legacy of Jim Simone is is not only that he's a Patrolman of the Year in nineteen eighty in two thousand and nine, but also that he was again a sort of a pioneer in terms of putting things ahead, that put forward things like dash camps and the important of dash cams and so other than the dash cam importance, and we obviously can see why that's important to protect police, protect citizens. It's just a great thing, but also what are the other things that Jim Simone basically was a big advocate for in terms of helping the police have relationships, positive relationships with citizens, and just to be able to do proper policing. What were the kinds of things that were most important to him, Things that he had done, things that he recommended and advocated for.
Speaker 2: He one of the things to was very big on is being not only policing a community, but being a part of the community policed. He lived in the district that he policed, he was always visible, always accessible. People knew they could contact him at home. He was okay with that. He encouraged that. I mean, nowadays Cleveland doesn't have a residency require, and a lot of policemen live outside the city, and as Jim puts it here, they come into the district for work every day like an occupying army. They're not vested in that community. They don't. It's a job for them in a lot of cases. So, Uh, community policing, part of the community. Be visible, talk to the people. Uh don't just ride around and your your your four wheeled capsule and make arrest, but actually, uh walk around, patronize beyond, you know, beyond the streets. Uh. People like that. Now. We talked earlier, very early in the conversation, we talked about the anti police bias. Well, I have to be a little bit of a contrarian here. I don't think that's necessarily true. In the worst areas of the city, the most crime in areas of the city, those people depend on the police. Those people like the police because that that crime is right there. They see it, the break in, the drugs, the danger. They know the police are the only thing protecting them from danger, so they appreciate the police. I don't think there's anti police bias in a lot of situations in the inner city. I mean, I talk to people who appreciate the police. So I think that some of these anti police a bias that we're seeing is perpetuated by special interest groups, groups that are pushing an agenda, good or bad. I'm not judging their agenda, but they've found that they can get their message in the media very effectively. But I don't think that anti police sentiment is as widespread as we might think. I don't and I quotes well, I'll leave it at that. I think that that the people that we might think our most against the police really appreciate the police.
Speaker 6: It was interesting to point out what you're saying is that al Sharpton was ready to pillar Jim Simone, but when he found out that the victim was white, he abandoned it. Which is very interesting.
Speaker 2: Uh, right, the Hackworts shooting, he requested Jim's personnel file, found out that Hackworth was Caucasian and dropped it, dropped the request.
Speaker 7: That's amazing.
Speaker 6: Just before I let you go, Robert, what is the story of Jim Simone today? What's Jim Simone doing today? Tell us about that.
Speaker 2: Jim still patrolling. He's working for a couple of suburban Cleveland police departments. He's working midnights, sixty seven year old years old. He still does a midnight shift. Then he's serving warrants for a Cleveland agency. He's still working. He's still out there hustling. Still uh, still be in the sheep God.
Speaker 6: Yeah, amazing. I want to thank you for coming on and talking about Badge three eighty seven. He really is a story of America's most decorated cop. But this is one colorful, actually very humorous kind of guy as well. But just what an indomitable spirit this man has and a real, a real you know, a real a good cop, basically giving cops a good name everywhere This is one of those stories, and in the in the face of police being criticized everywhere and all being lumped into the same mold as as the bad cop will say or the cop that's it's irresponsible, this is an incredible story of a very very decorated cop and very very deserving of that. So I want to thank you very much and coming on and talking about Jim Simoni, America's most decorated cop.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Robert for this, Thank you Dan, thank you for having me on.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you very much, and good
Speaker 2: Night, good night.