Speaker 1: I am so excited to see my guest, Emmanuel Bonham make healthy energy balls. Emmanuel, take it away.
Speaker 2: Thank you. My name is Emmanuel.
Speaker 3: I am a plant based nutritionists and animal advocate and lover of all things vegan and plant based. I'm going to be making today healthy energy balls. These are one of my favorites. They're super quick and easy to make, minimal ingredients. I'm going to take you through everything you need to know, all right, so let's get into this really healthy recipe. So minimal ingredients, We've got lots of healthy fats in here. These energy balls are going to help keep you sustain they're going to help keep you full, and they taste.
Speaker 2: Really good as well.
Speaker 3: So we're going to start with the base, which is oat flour. Now, you can use oats, but I love the smooth consistency of the oat flower.
Speaker 2: So we're just going to go ahead and pour that in there. And all of these.
Speaker 3: Exact grams or cups are going to be in the description, so no need to worry about remembering all of this. We're just gonna kind of throw it in for now, but for specifics check the caption. So we've got our oat flour we've got peanut butter, which is I'm obsessed with peanut butter.
Speaker 2: I could have this on its own, but we won't get into that.
Speaker 3: And you know, if you don't, if you don't eat nuts or you have a nut allergy, there's plenty of amazing alternatives.
Speaker 2: You can use.
Speaker 3: You can use sunflower butter, and even if you're eating nuts and you don't want to use peanuts, you can use almonds. Almond butter is an amazing alternative as well for a nice soft taste.
Speaker 2: So we're just gonna scoop all that in there.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna not lick the bowls. It's gonna pht that away. Okay, Now we're gonna move onto our sweetness. So I've got maple. You can use date syrup, you can use molasses, you can use whatever you want, but I like a good organic maple syrup, as I'm sure your Canadian listeners will as well. They'll be very happy that I'm using. And we're just gonna drizzle that in there, and that's gonna make it stick together really nicely. I'm gonna give that a little stir just for now. I'm just gonna stir that up a bit and you want it to kind of like clump together. Obviously, these balls need to hold together, so that's mainly mixed. Now we're gonna put the healthy fats in. So my choice of healthy fats is gonna be flax seed, so we're gonna have around. This is about forty grams flack seed. These are amazing little powerhouses, great amigas in here, and again lots of fiber. They keep you full, so they're fab Absolutely love them. Cheer seeds next, we're gonna sprinkle those in. And what I love about seeds is they're so cheap, honestly, like they're one of the healthiest foods you can eat, but yet they are so so cheap. Okay, I'm actually gonna get a little bit hands mucky with this so I can form the perfect ball. But the last two ingredients we're gonna add This is optional, but I love to add it is half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, So half a teaspoon and we're just gonna drizzle that across. And then always a little pinch of good quality sea salt. So we're just gonna pinch that across. And now for the fun part. This is where we get our hands dirty. You know, it's a little bit clumpy, and we're really gonna mix those seeds in, get.
Speaker 2: All that goodness in.
Speaker 3: And the great thing that a lot of people don't really think about seeds is that and nuts as well.
Speaker 2: Actually, if you're using nuts, there's a lot of protein and seeds and nuts.
Speaker 3: Peanut butter is per hundle grams want a very high source of protein.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people don't realize that.
Speaker 3: We you know, we rely on legumes or tofu or whatever, but we rarely stop and think about how amazing seeds and nuts are and you know where we can get.
Speaker 2: Our protein in these things.
Speaker 3: So this is coming together quite nicely. Now we've got a dough. So we've got this dough. It should be nice and kind of clumped together. It shouldn't be dry. If it is falling apart a bit, you might want to add a little bit more peanut butter, or you might want to add a little bit more maple, just to bind everything together. And what we're going to do is we're going to get a clean tray and we're just going to take a chunk, depending on how big you like to have your protein balls, We're just going to literally take a chunk, roll them in the middle of the palm of my hand, and we're just going to pop those in the tray. And yeah, we're just going to go through this mixture. We're just going to roll these one by one. But you see how quick that was. You see how quick it was to make an easy, healthy snack that's balanced with carbs, it's balanced with fats, it's balanced with protein, and it's got nothing but good.
Speaker 2: Stuff in it. You don't have to get your snacks from the store. You can make them in five minutes at home. You can make them in different shapes.
Speaker 3: By the way, if you're feeling fancy, you don't have to make them in circular balls. This is a long staple of mind that I whip up at least once a week. And yes, I do get through all of this batch in a week, sometimes less actually, depending on how hungry I am. But perfect for breakfast. They're not going to spike your blood sugar and perfect for a snack. So once you've filled your tray, you can actually eat them right out of the bowl. I like to let mine sit in the fridge for a little bit. I like it just a little bit firmer. But once you've got as many balls as you want, depending on the size, you're just.
Speaker 2: Going to pop them in the fridge and you're gonna have.
Speaker 3: These little round balls of absolute bliss. So they're chewy, they're moist, they're so sweet in a good way, not an overpowering way. And they're full of healthy fats as I said, and they're super delicious, and the flax seed just adds that crunch and the chea just adds that crunch and absolutely.
Speaker 2: One of my favorites.
Speaker 3: Again, if you don't like nuts or you're allergic, these taste amazing. With sunflower butter, it keeps them nice and smooth, it keeps the texture really really good. So I'm gonna go ahead and I'm gonna take a bite of this. Now it's not dry, it's not crumbly. It's really delicious, and they last for days in the fridge. They last really really well, so you can meal prep them and they're perfect all round snack.
Speaker 1: So I made my own version of energy balls. They are, I will admit, perhaps not quite as healthy as yours, but no sugar added. I will confess I'm chocolate levers. So these first of all, they're not as round as yours, but mine have little chocolate chips, and you.
Speaker 3: Can usually add chocolate chips. I just find that the maple does the job. Honestly, I do love a good chocolate chip as well.
Speaker 1: So right, so it also might have cranberries in them and pumpkin seeds, oats, peanut butter, date pastes. Those are our minds, so they're not quite as smooth, but you know, it's just a different version of a great healthy snack. So I just wanted to It's like show and tell.
Speaker 2: Now you just love one, you should have it.
Speaker 1: I will, but then I'll get caught in my teeth and I still have to record.
Speaker 3: You can make them, you can accessorize them up as much as you want. I just love having something simple in the morning that is going to regulate my blood sugar, you know, is going to make me feel full for the rest of the day. I don't want to eat a big meal in the morning, so I love having something high and fat, fairly low balanced in carbs, and just you know, something not too sharp or to citrusy.
Speaker 2: So these are the perfect edition.
Speaker 3: But if you want to add you know, pistachio, if you want to add chocolate chips, lotus.
Speaker 2: You can do all of these things.
Speaker 3: You just got to personalize them to to how you like to have them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really are an awesome snack. I give them to my friends when I make them all the time, and they all love them. So really, they're a wonder you don't share.
Speaker 2: My husband actually eats about five at a time. That's as far as I go.
Speaker 1: All right, well, I hope everyone enjoys these. Let us know in the comments if you make them and what you think about them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely looking forward.
Speaker 1: We've also done an episode of Emmanuel and you can listen to our conversation wherever you listen to podcasts on the Plant Based Diet podcast.
Speaker 4: I hope you've found this episode helpful. Please share, rate, leave a review, and follow plant Based Diet on your favorite podcast listening platform and on the Alternative Food Network YouTube channel, where you can also find recipe videos. If you're on social media, please follow us on Instagram at Alternative Food Network. We also publish a monthly newsletter that includes plant based recipes, our latest podcasts, and the occasional giveaway. You can sign up by going on our website at Alternativefoodnetwork dot com and click the newsletter sign up button Until next time, Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: All content provided or opinions expressed in this podcast or for informational purposes only, and are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please seek advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare practitioner.