Speaker 1: Welcome to Spacing Out with BB and Jason this week covering the twenty twelve film Prometheus.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Spacing Out.
Speaker 3: I'm BB and I'm Jason, and we are discussing the Alien franchise one movie at a time. At the moment of this recording, Prometheus is available to stream on Hulu. We are only focusing on Prometheus today, so if there's any discussion of subsequent entries into the franchise, we will save that for a spoiler section at the end of the podcast. Soph you haven't seen the movies that release after this one, we will shield you from spoilers. But anything released before this movie is fair game to discuss. So Prometheus premiered on June first, twenty twelve, written by John Spates and Damon Lindeloff, and directed by Sir Ridley Scott.
Speaker 2: Sir Scott, Huh's night.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed. In this movie, a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future the human race. That's a very vague plot description.
Speaker 2: Also sounds way more exciting than what you actually get.
Speaker 1: O vibe check, vibe check. Did we like the movie overall? How does it stand the test of time?
Speaker 3: So how invested were you? Now?
Speaker 2: I'm not invested. I'm not interested.
Speaker 3: I'm bored.
Speaker 2: I'm so bored. The movie didn't get good until like the second or third half of the movie.
Speaker 3: What the hell? Yeah? Uh, definitely a slow build and a movie that doesn't seem like it wants to be an alien movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was like trying to be like this archaeological like Roman mythology idea, and it's like boring. I'm tired, I'm bored, and I don't care. I don't care that her daddy died of polio or whatever, ebulla, I.
Speaker 3: Don't care that.
Speaker 2: Like there's an old man who's like trying to capture his youth. Like they have amazing actors in this and they don't utilize them.
Speaker 3: I thought it was somewhat good just as a general science fiction film, but you know, I came here for an alien movie and got very little aliens, and very little aliens that resembled the ones I'm used to. Yeah, I mean you could see that they're these are like early forms of like the face huggers and stuff. But yeah, and then so I don't know, I'm I'm kind of lukewarm on the movie. I just like, I don't know why we went so far in this direction. And I feel like the movie thinks it's a lot deeper than it actually is.
Speaker 2: It's like smelly its own farts and like being really into them, and it's like ba humbug. And then like randomly, it's Christmas. So it's this idea of Christ just kind of in there, like subconsciously, with this pregnancy and this like saviorism. Like this is just like so much mythology and all these like shitty layers of exposition that don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it had like really good production design, like it it was beautiful. It was beautifully shot and you know, well acted and like all the all these pieces were there. But it also has this issue where it doesn't feel like the other alien movies. It doesn't like, I know, I said, we're not going to be talking about like alien Romulus, but without spoiling it, like Alien Romulus feels like it's part of the alien universe. Starting with those movies. The movie in the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what we're missing is elements of like the crew being a sound well put like crew, because this crew is haphazardly put together. They're apprehensive to get along, and then like at the end, somehow they're willing to sacrifice their lives for something that they've never heard of. They're not on the like they have no idea what's going on. So it's like really fucking weird. It's really fucking weird that, like we go from like a group of strangers to like a group of people that's willing to die together to save the planet or whatever. There's the disconnect between the crew at the beginning of the crew at the end that doesn't get like built up or like developed in any way because the main focus is this way woman who loves Jesus or whatever.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then the android. I think that was the most alien like thing that they had, was like a sinister android.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So yeah, that's where it stands. Let's look at how it came to be.
Speaker 1: Trivia time. What facts could we uncover for Prometheus?
Speaker 3: So development of a fifth alien film began by two thousand and two, with Ridley Scott considering returning to the franchise. He met with James Cameron and began working on a script. However, when twentieth Century Fox started pushing the concept of Alien Versus Predator, both filmmakers stepped away from the project.
Speaker 2: Oh they hated that idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that was a cheap money grab. What So in two thousand and nine, Fox was pushing for the idea of a reboot and they contracted Scott to direct the project. It soon became a prequel to Alien. Over time, the project was rethought into an original work, not part of the franchise, and then the production began to publicly distance itself from the Alien origins, being intentionally vague about any connection the film has to Alien, and eventually Scott confirmed in twenty eleven that the film does take place in the same universe as Alien. So I feel like you can feel that in the movie. Though, like they wanted this to be its own thing, and then they worked to Alien back into it. Well.
Speaker 2: I recall, like when it was being advertised and when people were watching it back in like twenty and twelve, that it was the intellectuals sci fi show or movie, and it was there was. Nobody was talking about it as an alien movie. It was like a science fiction movie about the origin of man. And how like interesting and cool that was, and how like just thop provoking it could be. And when I watched them, like it's stupid, I just remember that guy with the weird face, that white dude, that really big white dude, and I just like immediately checked out.
Speaker 3: The original title was Paradise in reference to the poem Paradise Lost, before being changed to Prometheus, and Ridley Scott avoided using green screens as much as possible. Locations included Iceland, Jordan, Spain, and then Pinewood Studios in England. I do think you could feel that in the movie as well, that like, this wasn't on a green screen studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt very like physical. Yeah, except for when they did that holographic kind of streaming things, but that was well done.
Speaker 3: I think Ridley Scott repeatedly told the crew not to tell the actors certain things or let them see storyboards to procure more genuine responses, notably in the scene where a snakelike creature bursts from the dead Millburn's mouth. The studio was interested in a PG thirteen rating for the film, but ultimately Scott was allowed to have an R rating, which he thought was most appropriate for the film.
Speaker 2: Really, I feel like it could. It's totally Peach thirteen. They don't use a lot of foul language. The violence isn't like super duper violent like I've seen other stuff that's Peach thirteen that's like way more violent. Yeah, I mean maybe at that time.
Speaker 3: I think some of the like very socific moments in.
Speaker 2: It, when that guy gets his arm broken.
Speaker 3: That maybe, I mean definitely, like the pregnant and going down his throat and then that uh C section type thing like that was very graphic. That would have to cut that differently at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her stomach was open on the screen.
Speaker 2: You're right, it did. Like I remember, I was like cringing. I was like holding my breath as that was happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. A viral marketing campaign began in February twenty twelve with the release of a video featuring a speech by Pierce in character as Peter Wayland about his vision for the future and set in twenty twenty three. The short film presents a future teristic vision of a ted conference. This segment was directed by Ridley Scott's son Luke, and three other short films were released ahead of the premiere. The budget was around one hundred and twenty five million and the box office was four hundred and three million, making a financial success. Overall, critical reception was generally positive, with praise going to the visual, aesthetic and performances, and some of the criticism towards a story and the grandiose philosophical elements, as well as unanswered questions. The film was nominated for several awards, mostly technical ones, including Best Visual Effects at the Academy Awards, and then a sequel titled Alien Covenant was released in May twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Deep Space Dive, let's break down some of our thoughts on the film. You can share your thoughts with us through email or social media. We may use your comments on an upcoming episode.
Speaker 2: Well well, well, we have an alien problem again. This time it's an Ireland or wherever the fuck they are Iceland. The studying was beautiful, I will say that, like the beginning of the film with the big waterfall and that guy drinking that juice or those berries, oh yeah yeah, and then he like falls into the water and disintegrates. What's up with that? Why did you do that? That was so weird? See being a sacrificial lamb? What's going on?
Speaker 3: What was he doing? Like? I thought that would make sense as the movie went on. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It never tied back in. We never figured out. And then like him dressed up in like a diaper with like just being completely naked almost compared to like the full on like mega man suits that they wore with the elephant face weird, So like what.
Speaker 3: Was up with that?
Speaker 2: Like who was he? What did he mean to them?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Wait, why did he do that? Like so many questions unanswered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just reading the plot and see if it described it an any that made sense. But no, he drinks a black liquid and his body dissolves and his DNA falls apart and starts to recombine. Okay, sure, sure, why not? Then our scientists discover some pictures in some caves and that sends them on a journey across space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they get an archaeological booner because they found similarities between many civilizations, the same depictions of these tall men and these star clusters, and so somehow they're able to find a sugar daddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't see how that relationship came.
Speaker 2: To be, but I want to see that, like them going door to door for being like we found the origin of mankind? Would you like to fund my space expedition?
Speaker 3: As they go to like Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: And Bill Gates, all of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all these old guys that happening preserve their life long enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But and then like we know nothing of the crew. We don't get introduced to anybody except Charlie's thorn and the captain and then those two nerds that hate each other. Yeah, and then that's kind of it. And then there's the fucking robot hanging out before everyone wakes up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he was just awake the whole trip, and he's learning languages and studying TV shows.
Speaker 2: Bleaching his hair? Does his hair grow? What is going on with that? Like that? Why would he be bleaching his hair if he's a fucking robot.
Speaker 3: I don't know. He's trying to imitate what he's seeing on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I can't believe they gave him human hair. They gave him a human unit and it didn't come and blonde. He bleached it himself. Where does he get bleach? Who packed bleach and peroxide on this trip?
Speaker 3: He probably packed a lot of hair products for himself because he had to spend years away.
Speaker 2: He downloaded all of his movies that he were on his watching this too, and he would like walk around and be like quoting his movies and I'm like, oh my god, he's me.
Speaker 3: And then he was shooting that basketball from the bicycle. I'm wondering if that was a reference to Sigourney shooting the hoops. And yeah, Dailien Resurrection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fact they another ship with a basketball court that we only see once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they all have it, don't you know, Like.
Speaker 2: All that space on that ship must be huge. But in this one, in this movie, the ship isn't much of a character like the ships have been in previous films, because the ship usually plays like a major role in the chase, and this one just the ship was just kind of ship. It didn't really matter where you were. There was no orientation of like space.
Speaker 3: Well for the most part, like the action took place outside of the ship. Yeah, and then they would come back to the ship. There were several scenes and then like driving their cars from the ship over to the caves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the caves ended up being another ship. Yeah, and it was like weird. And I was really pissed off when they took off their helmets, specifically the lead guy. When he took off his helmet, I wanted him to die. He's being such jerk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he sucked, and.
Speaker 2: Nobody felt bad when he got sick or got lit on fire or nothing.
Speaker 3: Like. I could kind of tell what was going to become of him when David went in to talk to him, offering that drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he puts his finger in his drink and I'm like, nasty, I don't want that drink. You put your finger in it, you gross bitch. But he was probably already drunk, and he's an asshole he doesn't care. Yeah, but that's how quickly you can get drugged, you know, when you're out getting you can get roofied like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So when they take off their helmets, we don't see them carrying their helmets.
Speaker 2: No, they don't carry them. I don't know where they put them. It's not like they have like a little spot on their backpacks where they can like clip them on or They're not like Buzz Lightyear's helmet where it just like kind of goes up like a visor and just kind of hangs out. That would make the most sense to me. Yeah, that way, because like the plot holes are plot holing, and the helmets are such a big part of the plot hole.
Speaker 3: Because they get their helmets back on before they get back to the ship.
Speaker 2: Right when they're running through that silicone storm or whatever they called it.
Speaker 3: And then the two geologists guys.
Speaker 2: They found them too.
Speaker 3: They had they got lost somehow.
Speaker 2: But they found their helmets. So what is the truth with these helmets, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think it's that production wanted to see their faces, so they made a reason for them to take off their helmets.
Speaker 2: Right, because it's obvious that the suits that they're making, regardless of how much time has gone by from the nineteen seventies until twenty twelve, we still don't have the technology to make those suits so that they don't fucking fog up when you speak. When that guy howled because he threw up those little pups or whatever he called him, you could see the vapor in his helmet just flogging up his face. And I'm like, this is twenty twelve. Do we not have the technology to put some fucking vent holes on these bitches? What is going on? I don't know. I feel like any space movie that has like a helmet like that just really suffers. I think finally they did it pretty well with Gravity with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. I think that was the best one with helmets and shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of series Chosen movies will attempt to put like a light inside the helmet, which is great for the audience because we can actually see the actor, but it makes no sense to have a light shining on your face when you're inside of a helmet like that. Yeah, oh yeah, we covered all those episodes of Battlestar and they always had that. It was kind of a from above, so it wasn't like directly on their face, but it created weird shadows. But there's still no reason for it unless you wanted other people to see you. Well. So I mentioned earlier that it aesthetically does not feel like the earlier alien movies and this is a prequel to them, and like it also just seems like there's more technology in this movie, Like they have all these gadgets and these holographic projections and just things we never saw in the movies that take place after this one.
Speaker 2: I wish they would have explained it by saying, we have a better budget. Thank you budget, thank you budget, Like I'm so glad we have a rich sugar Daddy pain for all this equipment, And then we could like what's the word we can hypothesize or we can gleam into, like thinking about how it would be different where you're working in a like place where they're trying to cut costs to for profits and cutting corners and things like that. So that's I wish they would have like just mentioned something like just a little bit like these are my pups thanks to sugar Daddy Ray or whatever his name is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, just something to contextualize why, because I mean I guess Alien was on this you know, mining ship. Like, yeah, it wasn't a state of the art vessel by any means, but it definitely seemed like it was lacking technology if all of this was available, you know, decades and decades prior, and everything just looked like cleaner on as grungy as that movie. Yeah, it's kind of like Star Wars prequels and how they look more advanced than the originals.
Speaker 2: I just don't know why they had to be a prequel. I feel like this could have been a continuation of the alien saga and you could just say we're finally going to look this up, where did they come from? Where do we come from from? And say it's the future. It doesn't fucking matter when this happens. That's true, Like it literally doesn't fucking matter, because it's almost a standalone film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess like they're trying to dig into how the Aliens were created as well.
Speaker 2: I think they're trying to talk about how we were created and where DNA matches to these weird, bald headed dudes. And I'm like, I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. I want to see people die, like it took forever for somebody to die. And then she fucked that infected dude and had a weird baby. That was also ridiculous. That happened so quickly and so fast, and she was so alone, and there was like it was really bizarre and almost off putting, like there was she was running and like frantic, but nobody was chasing her. The real problem was in Belly Girl. And then she like puts it in the capsule after it gets extracted and pushes a button thinking it's gonna like die, like not even making sure it's dead because it's still wiggling when she leaves the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh and my favorite part, this machine is only calibrated for men.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Why because it's fucking science. It's always the patriarchy. Every medical study was made with men in mind. Women have not been studied at all. Like we've barely started like thinking, oh, maybe we should study the female body. When you think of a heart attack, you think of the symptoms for men, because the symptoms for women are way different, and people don't know what a heart attack looks like in a woman because science is always centered around men. And this is the like I feel like it was kind of so I don't know if it was on purpose, but it's like a big commentary on that. But this movie wasn't like this big, beautiful, wonderful feminist like propaganda or feminist like thing. But that one moment was like speaking volumes. Like it's two thousand and ninety eight and we still don't calibrate machines for your fucking femass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was that, and then there was this concept that like David is wanting to like force this woman to carry this thing to term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was weird. I don't understand his motivation at all.
Speaker 3: I think it was similar to was it Aliens where they were gonna cry o freeze Ripley and the girl and bring them back to earth?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do that? Yeah. I think it's referencing back to the older movies in a few cases like that one.
Speaker 2: But how did he know she was gonna have a baby. How did he know that that drunk cass man was going to be able to get it up hard enough to fuck this woman?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know what he knew. This is the.
Speaker 2: Problem we I think he just got lucky that she got pregnant and he was excited about it. And then he basically admitted that Homeboy didn't die from the air. He's like, no, I fucking poisoned him and she still trusts him. I'd be like, I'm just bringing your head to the trip. We're not bringing your body. Baby. If we're getting out of here, it's just your head coming along. We're going to get usc three po bodies, so you don't blend in with the people anymore.
Speaker 3: But that medical pod, I guess I'm still stuck on, like why it because it seemed to imply that, like you can program it for a man or for a woman, and like why how many like gender specific procedures are there that you can't just have it both right.
Speaker 2: There's only a couple of things internally that separate the female and male bodies. And it's not like it would be complicated to download a uterus.
Speaker 3: Like program, Yeah, you didn't pay for.
Speaker 2: Especially if you think about, like, okay, like we have people in cryo sleep for up to two years. What's to say that somebody can't do something like think about women in comas who all of a sudden turn up pregnant, Like why wouldn't there be like an option to like operate on those women in case like something like that happens. That would have been scary. That would have been so scary if one of them woke up and she was already pregnant, and like, I was asleep for two years, how the fuck am I pregnant? And then David's like, and then Daddy Warbucks is also on the ship. He has his own private wing. How big is this ship?
Speaker 3: As they need it?
Speaker 2: Apparently it's like ever expanding. But she like basically has a setharian and just walks away.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's another thing, Like she did see running perfectly fine, not perfectly fine, but very well for yeah, stomach stable back together.
Speaker 2: My sister had a cesarean and she couldn't get up from her chair for a week. She needed help getting up, Like we had to brace her up. Like that's that's not real.
Speaker 3: Well, did she inject herself with I'm guessing adrenaline?
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know what she was injecting herself with an EpiPen? Like what was that ship? It never nobody explains anything in this movie. That's the common thread. And then they leave those two guys behind. They leave one okay, so they're in this ship. They're in this like cave or whatever, our ship and they're like, oh fuck, no, I ain't into this. And one of the guys is the guy who send out the probes that's mapping the joint. How does he not know where he is in the place that he mapped? And it's we don't have a fucking storm happening when they decide to make their exit. So how do they not have an open line of communication to say, Hey, I think I'm lost? Can you help me? Is this like this the trope of men being too stupid to ask for directions until it's too late. What is going on? Why didn't they should have never been at the like, like the ship should have had them home safe before those other ones had to run home? And did they they were the only ones who got the memo was like, hey, there's a storm coming, you better head home. Did they not get the memo? Are they not on the same calm?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What is going on? Why is the communication so broken between the crews?
Speaker 3: And then in the middle of the night, uh Idris elba Janik, the captain, he's talking to them. He tells them like the sensors picked up the movement nearby and to the west of them or whatever, And it seems like in that moment like he's manipult to get them to go to the east, knowing that they're going to go away from whatever he said. So that made me like so suspicious of him, thinking that like, oh, he's in on this, He's trying to direct these guys towards something, But it turns out he was just you know, telling them what he saw honestly, And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought it was funny that he had his little blanky on him and he's like, oh, it's just a glitch, guys, never mind, never mind, it's glitch. And then we never really find out what the fuck it is because those little snake thing is they would have been right under them, and that Prometheus guy, he's still sleep So what was it? What was that fucking thing that was alive? Did we ever get clarification on that?
Speaker 3: I think a lot of things were left too vague and too broad. What did you like about it?
Speaker 2: M I did like the machine being like, too too fucking bad. You have a uterus, We don't do abortions here. That was fuckinghilarious. That was like, welcome to American healthcare system, bitch, No, you can't have an abortion even in this fucking healthscape of a world.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought that was kind of hilarious.
Speaker 3: I thought that that scene was really good, like really unexpected, very tense, and like a very creative thing to do in an alien movie to have this machine that's gonna you know, cut out a for an object from you. Yeah, no, that for an object is an alien. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought that was cool. I like that. And then the whole sequence of events was pretty interesting. Even though they were unbelievable, it was pretty fucking rad to see her like get stapled up and like okay, bye, and then.
Speaker 3: Insurance isn't going to allow you to stay here.
Speaker 2: Your insurance only covers fifteen minutes of treatment, ma'am. So I liked that part. And I really liked when, uh, the big guy just like just looking at everybody and he's like, do you guys not speak English? And then when that guy speaks his language, he's like, pop your head off, fuck everybody else. And then he's like bent on like driving himself to Earth and killing every motherfucker alive. That was pretty fun. And I also like the random guy that came back to the ship and started like murdering everybody.
Speaker 3: Like why, I don't know what happened?
Speaker 2: Nothing, Like nobody explains is is he infected? Is he like? Like why is his head all swollen? Like is his brain still intact? Because he knew how to get back to the ship and he knew how to like play dead or whatever, and why would they open the door. Why would they open the door. Why wouldn't they just be like on the intercom, Hey, hey, what are you doing? And then maybe like isn't there like a stick or something like a crane or something that can poke him to see what's going on with him? And when that guy got really sick and Charlie's Throne was like, get him off, I am not letting him on. I thought that was a badass move.
Speaker 3: I like that a lot, especially because in the first Alien movie, Sigourney Weaver was like, hey, we have a protocol for this, a quarantine protocol. He can't come back on the ship, and everyone's like, fuck you. You're not the main character, yet we're not listening to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I thought that was cool, and that was like Aleyen adjacent, like kind of referencing itself. So there were moments like the moments with the most action were my favorite moments, but there were so many moments where nothing was happening, nothing at all was happening, and I'm just like, why won't descend? Oh my god, I'm so ready to go home and sleep or do something else that's more productive than this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely slow at times, especially in that first at least third or so.
Speaker 2: And then like, if it was going to have a rated R rating anyway, why didn't they show like a nice little a little bit of a nude scene between Idris Elba and Charlie's the wrong?
Speaker 3: Yeah, give us the unrated cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give us it's already an R rated film. Give me something to make it are rated. I want to see a list celebrities just be sensually, like at least like rubbing on each other, Like that would have been an interesting plot line that I would have been into. And if she, like I feel like they there was a lot of room there for her to like be flirty with him in a way that was like authoritarian and like pushy, and he was like into it. He's like, okay, I'm into that. Like there was a point where he's like, are you a robot? And she's like, I'll show you I'm not a robot. And then then give me a like a hint of a sex scene, like a little more skin. She was covered up the whole time. And then the way they killed her, the way they killed her at least aron like a bug, What the fuck?
Speaker 3: What the fuck.
Speaker 2: That was so rude.
Speaker 3: She was like the.
Speaker 2: Daughter of the richest guy, and she died under the fucking ship like a bug being squitched by a boot Lame. That was lame. And then Idrisselba being like, I'm gonna become a bullet, and then like he doesn't ask for anybody else's permission or if they're on board with him, he's just like yeah, like what, wait a minute, I'm just a co pilot. I cannot there's enough escape pods for me too.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: What, when did they become patriots?
Speaker 3: What the fuck? I was so confused. I'm gonna say they didn't get enough to speak in their minds.
Speaker 2: Wow, Like they didn't paint this threat as like a big ass threat either, like one guy got sick and the other one went crazy, Like show me that it's a problem, show me that it's like a real problem, and that you guys need to get away from it, and that we're all on the same page about killing it. The lack of like commoditory and like teamwork is just really detrimental to this film.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: I did like how the big guy died too, with that girl's pussy monster or not her pussy monster. Her cesarean monster. Sorry, yeah, she didn't give it birth to it vaginally.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think one of the main things that bothers me about this movie, which I so I kind of like it, I just it's it's not working for me in the alien universe, I think, because I don't love how it just like rewrites human history and the origins of humanity with these engineers that created humans, and then it goes on to like try to ask all these questions as to like, well, why did they create this? Why do we exist? Without really giving us any answers or any meaningful way to think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very shallow.
Speaker 3: It's like we have these big ideas and big questions and we're just not going to get to them.
Speaker 2: I feel like somebody told them intelligent design and they're like, oh, wow, I'm going to make a movie about intelligent design. But I don't know anything about it, and I don't I don't care, But it just it felt it felt like the movie was too big for its breeches.
Speaker 3: Sure was pretty though, Sure was pretty.
Speaker 2: Like visually stunning, and when that guy broke his arm amazing, or he didn't break his arm, that weird noodle thing did, and then the noodle thing got its head cut off and it just grew another one. And that was the last time we saw that noodle thing. Oh wait until it No, Yeah, that was it. And then they found it under inside of that other guy's mouth. Was that the same guy? I couldn't tell them apart without that guy's glasses. He was just like the other guys.
Speaker 3: It didn't matter at that point, It literally didn't. The old guy named Whaland and the company in the later movies is the Whaland Utahni Corp. Right now, it's just the Whalen Corp. I don't know if we ever see how that evolves or anything, but it's notable. Uh you move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the astral Queen who was the standout character in the movie.
Speaker 3: The Astral Queen Awards.
Speaker 2: Who's your Astral Queen? I think I'm going to have to give it to Shaw for hacking the male only.
Speaker 3: That's the most badass thing that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's like abdominal surgery taking out for a body.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean it's either Shaw or Captain Janik for saving the ship. Yeah. I feel like he needs to be Shaw, So two awards for theists. Well, that wraps up our coverage of Prometheus. I hope we weren't too negative. If you really like this movie, sorry, sometimes it's a lot more fun than criticize. But next we will be talking about the follow up to this Alien Covenant, and that will be the last movie in our alien quest here because we've already covered Alien Romulus. That's back in the feed already, so we will see you for that. And if you don't want any spoilers regarding Alien Covenant and or Romulus, then now is the time for you to hit stop and don't listen further. Let's put our living stereo stylists in this group.
Speaker 1: Brace for impact spoilers ahead. If you haven't seen the whole film series, now is the time to say goodbye. Remember you can contact us at Spacingoutpod at gmail dot com, find us on social media, share your thoughts and be a part of the discussion. Spoilers in five four three two one.
Speaker 2: So they really love to impregnate a bitch with an alien? Yes, like women, beware, you better be on the pill or you better have a plan be available, because if you're in this franchise, you might be pregnant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like the first movie they made a big point about like, we're gonna make this happen to a man, and I love that.
Speaker 2: I appreciated that.
Speaker 3: Every movie since then it's been women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can tell a man's writing these.
Speaker 3: So I've seen Alien Covenant again. I have a very vague memory of it. I watched it in a hotel room in Dallas. Well, it is a follow up to this movie. It doesn't really follow up, Like Shaw's not in it. Michael Fastner's in it as David. I think he's really the main through line of it. So yeah, we don't really continue the story that they set off in the end of this to go find the homeworld of the Engineers Boo. Ridley Scott was planning to make at least three and I think at times he talked about and they gave him more these prequel movies to build up to the first Alien movie. So who knows what was in his head to connect all these, But yeah, I think Alien Covenant is probably more of an alien movie than this for sure. And they actually had the thought to put the word alien in the title because they weren't trying to hide from it and the black goo that we see in this that showed up in Alien Romulus. I don't remember exactly how it played a role in that, but it was there. Any thoughts or questions.
Speaker 2: Or I'm just really mad that they didn't show the engineer's planet getting infected by those alien things. They created this weird character and then they just throw it away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't mean the engineers even in I don't think they're in the next movie. Fold. So after Prometheus, Ridley Scott wanted to do a trilogy, so they made Aidien Covenant, and then I don't think they're moving forward with any of the others. Oh sounds like they decided that Elizabeth Shaw did not survive into the next movie. Okay, Yeah, it's one of those again.
Speaker 2: Kill a character off screen and explain it away. She had really nice abs. Baby would have ruined, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder how well that scar will he'll heal?
Speaker 2: Well, it doesn't matter because she dies.
Speaker 3: Yep. Okay, that's an episode. All right. Thanks for spacing out with us, and remember the search for our beginning could lead to our end.
Speaker 1: All right, that's thank you for spacing out with BB and Jason. You can help us out by subscribing and leaving a positive rating or review. Next time, we will cover the two thousand and seventeen film Alien Covenant. We hope you will join us