Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Just talked about the numbers for tourism in La County that have gone down significantly since the beginning of the year.
Speaker 2: Hey, Gary, why are you talking about tourism numbers going down? Can you see all those people with their tents from all over the country coming here to set up shop and live in our streets. Well, they're not gonna sider tourists when they stay.
Speaker 3: I guess so you might be right.
Speaker 1: Lieutenant Lieutenant Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry is holding a news conference about what's going on in New Orleans. Of course, you may have seen the story of the presid inmates that escape through a hole, sorry, through a hole behind the wall, behind the toilet.
Speaker 4: Arnie. Of the progressive promises that have been made to this city is clear. New Orleans handed the jail keys to those who vowed to keep criminals out of jail, and sadly, today we show that it worked. I hope that everyone understands that the video of those prisoners escaping epitomizes a progressive criminal justice system.
Speaker 1: There were ten that escaped over the weekend. They have captured three of them, still on the lookout for seven and pretty crazy video where you can see them just making their way through the hole in the wall and then out a loading dock there at the at the prison and then into the night.
Speaker 3: It's time for swamp watch. I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 5: Here we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 3: The other side never quits.
Speaker 4: So what I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: So now you drain the swat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been. You know, Americans have always been going. They're not stupid.
Speaker 1: Political plunder is when a politician actually tells the.
Speaker 3: Truth whether people voted for you. With massp watch, they're all countering.
Speaker 1: Well, the big deal today politically is that President Trump says that Russia and Ukraine are going to start ceasefire negotiations immediately this morning. At a very early morning news conference from the White House, Caroline Levitt was previewing these phone calls.
Speaker 6: The President has.
Speaker 7: Made it clear his goal is to see a ceasefire and to see this conflict come to an end, and he's grown weary and frustrated with both sides of the conflict. The President and his team have put an enormous amount of effort in solving this very complicated war that again began because of the last administration's weakness.
Speaker 1: Steve Witkoff, of course, is the Special Envoy, talked about the call as well.
Speaker 8: We have to get to a ceasefire. That's the President's position, and we all agree with that position, and most importantly, we have to get to a final peace deal. He's got to get on the phone with President Putin and that is going to clear up some of the logjam and get us to the place that we need to get to. And I think it's going to be a very successful call.
Speaker 1: So it was about a two hour phone call. According to the White House, was a push to get Russia to end this war in Ukraine. Trump and Putin described the call as frank and useful. Not immediately clear what this is going to mean, although President Trump did suggest that there would be immediate ceasefire talks. The President Trump that has took to truth, social said the call went very well. He said, quote, Russia and Ukraine will immediately start negotiations toward a ceasefire and more importantly, an end to the war. He said the conditions for that will be negotiated between the two parties, as it can only be because they know details of a negotiation that nobody else.
Speaker 3: Would be aware of.
Speaker 1: The Kremlin came out with its version of this with its statement and said a ceasefire with Ukraine is possible, but noted that Russia and Ukraine must find compromises that suit both sides. None of this is clear, despite the fact that there was an attempt at some preliminary negotiations back on Friday. Of course, the ceasefire talks themselves fell through last week because it was presented with demands. The Ukrainians said they were presented with demands from the Russian delegation that were simply unacceptable. And then the largest drone attack that we saw in the entire three years of this whole deal was launched by Russia, something like two hundred and seventy three drones. The expectation is that there was the details of a prisoner swap worked out on Friday the first one, one of the ones that they have worked out in these face to face talks, but it's not enough for a full ceasefire. Former President Biden has commented publicly for the first time since it was announced that he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer. He wrote on X Today, cancer touches us all. Like so many of you, Jill and I have learned that we are strongest in the broken places. Thank you for lifting us up with love and support. The President's team came out yesterday former President's team and said that he was seen for a new finding of a prostate nodule after experiencing increasing urinary symptoms, and on Friday they told him he was diagnosed with prostate cancer characterized by a Gleason score of nine with metastasis to the bone.
Speaker 3: It had spread to the bone.
Speaker 1: The statement from again the former President's office said, while this represents a more aggressive form of the disease, the cancer appears to be hormone sensitive, which does allow for effective management. The President and his family are reviewing treatment options with his physicians. One of the pre eminent oncologists in the entire world, doctor Zeke Emmanuel, said that this has probably been in him, and he's an eighty two year old guy. Almost every guy is going to have prostate cancer at some point if you live long enough. It's just not going to be the thing most often that kills you. Zeke Emmanuel said that this has probably been there for a while.
Speaker 5: Would it be fair to say it's likely to have had this for at least several years?
Speaker 3: Oh more than several years. You don't get prostacution.
Speaker 5: Again, I just want to sell you, so this is not speculation. If you have prostate cancer that has spread to the bone, then he's most certainly you were saying, had it when he was president of the United States.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, he did not develop it in the last one hundred two hundred days.
Speaker 3: He had it while he was president. He probably had it at the start of his presidency in twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yes that, I don't think there's any disagreement about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The last physical that Biden had would have been February of twenty four and whether or not an exam was actually done or a blood test to look for PSA numbers is not clear yet. It's also not necessarily a go to test for somebody who's that age. Because the assumption from doctors a lot is that if you're eighty and you have prostate cancer or they newly discover prostate cancer, prostate cancer often moves slow enough that it's not going to be the thing that kills you. You live with it. It's something else that gets you. So that was if again I don't know whether they did the test or not and just kept it secret, but if they didn't do a prostate exam in February of twenty four, that could have been the reason, at least according to a couple of the different doctors that we've heard from. So tomorrow, not today. Tomorrow, we're going to do a lot of the discussion of Okay, when what's the timing of this the release on the same day the diagnosis the same day as Robert Hurk tapes come out. Tomorrow, of course that book comes out from Jake Tapper and Alex Thompson about what people knew and when they knew it, about his cognitive decline and who kept its secret, all of that. So tomorrow we'll talk about that stuff. It's not I don't think it's appropriate today to talk about it. A very unusual advocate for psychedelic drug therapy. A Republican lawmaker in the House of Representatives. We'll talk about Morgan Latrelle and what he wants to push in terms of getting PTSD therapy out there.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Morgan Latrelle had never smoked anything. He never tried drugs in his life. So this guy, former Navy seal, had to ask a nurse for guidance on how to inhale ibogain.
Speaker 3: I think that's how you say it.
Speaker 1: This psychedelic drug that's part of a final step of an intense three day experimental therapy. He had gone to Mexico in twenty eighteen to take ibogain, which is illegal here in the United States but is gaining a reputation as being a potential treatment for PTSD. Inhaling a separate drug called DMT was the final step in this process. Now here's what's interesting about Morgan Latrelle. Not the fact that he suffered PTSD that's pretty common, and not the fact that he has turned to psychedelics to deal with PTSD that's actually becoming more common. It's that this guy is now in his second term in Congress and trying to use that platform as a way to open doors for other military vets and others who have suffered from PTSD to use psychedelics in their treatment. He explains this this is He said his journey was a last resort for people who feel trapped within their own minds. And he said that this would have been the religious equivalent, would be an exorcism. Yeah, he threw up a lot, he said, after repeated vomiting, he lay on a small mattress at an indoor facility along with other Prince participants. His eyes were closed. There were a flurry of colors, numbers, and then math equations that were appearing in his head. And he said it was liking it was a movie screen, but it's a movie screen of my life. And he said he saw flashes from his past, but that those flashes helped him get a new perspective on some of the life experiences that he had, the painful life experiences, and that helped him reborn and he says it helped save his marriage. So now Congressman Morgan Latrelle out of Texas is in a position where he didn't expect to be. He wants to see his party specifically more open towards what he says could be life saving treatments that are currently illegal in the United States. He's among a growing group of lawmakers Republican lawmakers, many of them veteran Republican lawmakers, who are making the case for drugs that they say can help address issues like PTSD and depression and substance abuse that can be rampant among people who are still suffering suffering from their experiences in their life in the military, he said.
Speaker 3: In an interview, he said.
Speaker 1: I had the inability to let the previous part of my life go and to understand that my current life is what's most important, and he argued that the path forward needs to be medically based. Proponents want to see a whole lot more research and funding in this. I don't know how you wouldn't. I'm not a fan of psychedelics, but I also don't take aspirin when I don't need to. I'm not the one who is going to be deciding this kind of a thing, And if you are dealing with PTSD, how would you not want to use what has worked in some people, or at least give it a shot. If science supports their claims. Some of these members of Congress say they hope that the administration is going to back their push to allow use of these drugs in medically controlled environments. It's not a free for all, it's a medically controlled environment. And they said that they hope that these drugs can become part of structured treatments with the ultimate goal of curbing the suicide.
Speaker 3: Epidemic that has racked the veteran community.
Speaker 1: And you're talking drugs like IBA, gain, psilocybin, mushrooms, of course, MDMA, MOLLI. There are there are some trials for psychedelics that happened in various corners of the private sector of the government. There are a handful of them in Veterans' affairs as well as the Pentagon. But the FDA last year rejected an md MDMA drug. They said they were uncertain about the data, in a major setback at the time for veterans groups. Doctor Joseph Ross, professor of medicine at Yale, says he started a plenty of stories of psychedelics having a dramatically positive impact on people's lives, but said, you got to do this slowly, You got to do it carefully that trials so far have left a tremendous amount of uncertainty before we're going to push the regulator to approve it, the regular being the FDA, or have the VA pay for it and expose a large number of people to potential harms. Or sometimes the medicine just doesn't work. Sometimes these therapies don't have the positive impact that you're looking for. And blind double blind studies can be difficult where not only the doctor doesn't know what drug you're getting, but you don't know what drug you're getting because participants and the researchers could tell if they're receiving the drug rather than a placebo, because the immediate mental effects and physical effects of these drugs in many cases, and there is also a fear that if you make these things available too much, too broadly to publicly, it could be adding to the problems of recreational psychedelic use, unsafe use, improper use, and that's going to set everything back. But again, the ultimate goal being to cut down on the number of suicides that we have seen in the veteran community over the last several years, which continue to rise. In twenty twenty two, a report from the VA in twenty twenty two. There were six thy four hundred and seven veterans in suicide deaths in twenty twenty two, and the rate for veteran suicides is about double that of non veterans.
Speaker 3: According to that report.
Speaker 1: So if this is if this gets any sort of any sort of momentum, I think you have to credit Morgan Latrelle, who himself has gone through it and is now a member of Congress. The latest on that New Orleans prison escape when we come back, and we'll hear from Jeff Landry, the governor of Louisiana, with his fun little accent, where he's going after these guys.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 10: Hey, Gary, I listen to you all the time, Miss Shannon. This morning, I just have one comment for all these people who are calling to complain about how you treated President Biden, they should be pointing the finger at the people who covered up his illnesses. You did not cause his illness. His illness was there, they said, he was perfectly healthy. Thanks for your time.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Hey Gary, why are you talking about tourism numbers going down. Can you see all those people with their tents from all over the country coming here to set up shop and live in our streets.
Speaker 3: Good point.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not gonnaider tourists when they stay. I guess so you might be right.
Speaker 6: Okayyar juck clod, What do you mean you're not a fan of psychedelics? Number one? Have you ever taken psychedelics? Have you ever taken my troop? Do you know anybody personally who has taken psychedelics and if you will talk to them about their experiod? Do you know anybody at always takes psychedelics and have you talked about their experiod?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Some say you're not a fan if you haven't done any of that.
Speaker 3: Excellent point. I am.
Speaker 1: I have not taken psychedelics. I have not, so I guess I still could be a fan. But I have talked to plenty of people who have taken psychedelics. The majority of them did not have good experiences with them. Some of them love it, some of them thought it was fantastic. Some of them to this day continue their their adventures. I suppose, but that's.
Speaker 3: Not me, all right.
Speaker 1: A man hunt is on for the inmates to escape from that New Orleans jail by getting out of a crawling I should say, through a hole behind a toilet. It is now in its fourth day that search. The seven of the ten men are still at large. The agency LA Sorry, Louisiana State Police, it's I don't I always get the abbreviation and.
Speaker 3: Want to say LA.
Speaker 1: Louisiana State Police confirmed in an emailed statement that the seven of the ten are still out there. Colonel Robert Hodges for the LA State Police again Louisiana State Police said they're looking not only for the seven guys, but whoever helped you.
Speaker 11: Are helping and assisting these fugitives allowing them to remain uncaptured and not brought to justice. They will be consequences and there may be charges for.
Speaker 3: You, Okay.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that's happening is the Governor of Louisiana, Jeff Landry, is pointing squarely at the DA's office, because the DA in Orleans Parish, a guy named Jason Williams, is considered to be one of the more progressive das in the country, and Jeff Landry yesterday said this may lay at the feet of those progressive policies.
Speaker 4: Arnie of the progressive promises that have been made to this city is clear New Orleans handed the jail keys to those who vowed to keep criminals out of jail, and sadly, today we show that it worked. I hope that everyone understands that the video of those prisoners escaping epitomizes a progressive criminal justice system.
Speaker 1: Now that point that he's making about the progressive prosecutor there in Orleans Parish, it's a guy named Jason Williams, and Jason Williams is holding a news conference right now and pushing back against that. It's on right now, and one of the issues that he is saying, Jason Williams is why in the world would he want these criminals out on the streets. These guys age a range in age from nineteen to forty two, a variety of charges, everything for aggravated assault, domestic abuse, battery, murder. He said he is at risk, Jason Williams the DA and that some of the families of his prosecutors are at risk because of the concern that these guys may target the people that put them behind bars in the first place.
Speaker 12: So Rob I am personally afraid, not just for myself, but for my lawyers who tried the case against the individual twice. We were asking for a life sentence of this man, and he is now at large. Two of the lawyers who I tried that case with, who successfully went forward able to get a conviction on that case, these lawyers got to town this weekend with their families out of fear of retribution and retaliation. So you know, I am, I've been very clear and take what my office did immediately upon finding out from the press about this jail break, because that's how we found out, we immediately begin working Alzelmore, God of the Chief of our victim waitness began calling victims and witnesses to let them know that the defendants in these cases, in their cases were out and.
Speaker 1: At large, that this is going to be the beginning. It seems like of a lot of finger pointing back and forth. The governor blames the DA. The DA just made a snide comment about I guess the Sheriff's department because they weren't notified via the sheriff. They were notified via the media that these guys had gotten out over the weekend. And now the Orleans Parish Sheriff, Susan Hudson said they were able to get out of the Orleans Justice Center because of defective locks that she has been asking for for some time to get the money to replace some of the aging infrastructure there at the Orleans Justice Center. She said Friday, there would be no way for them to escape the facility without help from the outside. If you remember, they were discovered missing during a routine head count conducted at about eight thirty on Friday at the Orleans Parish Jail. Believed to have escaped sometime just after midnight at about twelve twenty three, they were able to yank the sliding jail cell door off the track. At one in the morning, they exited the jail after they breached a wall behind a toilet. Photos provided by the already showed what they said where the clean cuts to the metal bars behind the toilet inside the jail cells. The toilet itself is just one of those one size fits all, do all your business in one holer kind of thing, but the wall behind it has what looked like rebar in it, and they were able to cut one of the rebars to make a hole big enough for each of these ten guys to get out again. They've captured three of them, but they're still looking for seven others. All right, let's make money together, shall we. It's not exciting, but the stealthy wealthy have a way to make money. And again it's not exciting, but it may be the safest way for you to build some more money for retirement or next egg or vacation or whatever have you.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that we come back.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM sixty.
Speaker 1: There is a very specific American dream for a lot of people, whether you come to the country or you were born here. The dream is to start a business or somehow get your hands on that American capitalism and just drill it directly into your veins. There is a story out of the Wall Street Journal about studies that were done in internal revenue service information data and how it is that some people are able to make their money very stealthily. Stealthy wealthy is the way that's described. A Princeton University economist studies the group with the University of Chicago guy, and they are looking at the lower profile path.
Speaker 3: To a lot of money. It's not often as glamorous.
Speaker 1: It's not often the companies that you think of when you think of somebody getting rich quick or getting rich and getting general wealth.
Speaker 3: It's a smaller niche business.
Speaker 1: That can be very, very lucrative, and they actually profile a handful of people who see a market that is not being serviced and then service the living hell out of that market. Derek Olsen is a guy who always wanted to run his own business, and again not a sexy business, but his company is National Flooring Equipment.
Speaker 3: And what he realized was if I make.
Speaker 1: The machines that rip up flooring, I can make a lot of money. His example of kind of how he thought of this business was he realized that in elementary schools, the carpets get trashed. Kids are disgusting, kids are animals, and just about every year, every other year, a lot of these elementary schools need new carpeting, they need new flooring. So he has a company that it comes up with machines that rip up flooring quickly so they can lay down the carpeting before the school starts.
Speaker 3: He has made.
Speaker 1: All kinds of money as a result of this, about fifty million dollars in revenue over the course of last year.
Speaker 3: It's just him. He owns the company. That's it.
Speaker 1: There is another one, David McNeil. This one you've probably seen before. David McNeil founded weather Tech. You know, the floor mats for your car. He realized on a trip to Scotland in the late eighties that the car he was riding in had floor mats. They were thicker than he'd ever seen. They had a little border that prevented water and mud from running off under the carpet, and he was superior they He said, they were superior to anything he had seen in the United States. But I mean, this is a guy from the Upper Midwest where he realizes that he could have a market for this in the United States. So he calls the manufacturer in England. He works out a deal to get a twenty foot shipping container of the mats that they sold to sell here in the United States. At the end of the first year, he said he made forty thousand dollars in profit. The end of the second year that was up to one hundred and sixty thousand in profit. Third year, four hundred thousand dollars in profit. And now weather Tech brings in eight one hundred million dollars in revenue each year. It's that simple. Again, it's not the it's not the very high profile companies that you see. It's not the Steve Jobs and Wosniak and Apple, it's not Bill Gates and Microsoft. But it is a market. There are markets for these things out there, and it's these creative people who come up with it and end up well ensconced in that top one percent of earners. By the way, that's not I would have said that top five percent was around five or ten million dollars. The annual income puts that puts you in the top one percent would be about five hundred and fifty thousand dollars without capital gains.
Speaker 3: That's it's not as high as I thought it was going to be.
Speaker 1: All right, up next all of our trending stories. We have a terror in the skies. We got to get to motivational Monday. If you're feeling down and you got to get something going on. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.