Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the India Today Business Today's studio here at the World Economic Forum in Davos. Zarabian with me now Eric Akudin, the CEO of Global Telecom major Ericson, Welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 1: Eric, I want to begin by asking you about the latest breakthrough that you can talk about to set up this conversation as far as telecom is concerned, because the big headline is the age of AI.
Speaker 2: But we must not forget that.
Speaker 1: Everything that constitutes the digital and the AI world today has been built on the backbone of absolutely fantastic networks and you as a company have led that for decades.
Speaker 2: Now, how do you.
Speaker 1: Talk about the latest breakthrough technological advancements in the world of telecom as of today.
Speaker 3: So here in Davos, we talk a lot about return on investment on AI. We talk about AI diffusion, how to get AI out and really create the value.
Speaker 2: I think we see that certainly this.
Speaker 3: Year will be the year when you get more clear return, but you also start to broaden applicability in enterprises. Workflows with identic AI are coming online and clearly you will see a lot of change in how we approach work but AI in the networks has actually been there for some time, so we can talk about breakthroughs. But I also think we need to talk about the fact that five E to your point, really good five Y networks and the networks that can be programmable so that you can set up the kind of network performance that the application need. Networks that are pervasive. That is really the foundation actually also for AI. So I think that now we'll come to a point with gen AI and also gentic AI and soon physical AI that will demand even.
Speaker 2: More from the network.
Speaker 3: So think about that best network for AI that itself needs to be AI powered energy consumption, better user experience, better total cost of ownership, simpler to create new services on the fly. AI is already powering the five D networks, so you have AI powered five D networks. So some of these technologies that we now talk about moving across society, they have already started to move into the network. More inference meaning AI generation rather than training, and that needs to be distributed. You don't only do that in the data center centraly. You do it distributed in the infrastructure of course, in your glasses and the phones, but you also do it in the network.
Speaker 2: So the network becomes a host for.
Speaker 3: Inference, and that inference then needs to be energyficient because obviously this is one of the key criterias to optimize for, but also the cost, the tokens per dollar per what needs to be optimized. So there are breakthroughs in terms of bringing AI into the network. AI ran in five G today and bringing these AI workloads onto the network. But then I think that I'm super excited about what networks will be used for. Today five D is used for consumers, for enterprises, for SMBs, governments, public safety, also defense.
Speaker 2: In the future, the networks will really be used.
Speaker 3: Also as a sensor finding out not to get perhaps run over in a crossing in the city, or making drone surveillance. I mean, there are lots of things that the network will do that we haven't thought of before. So some of those breakthroughs we are now showing for lead customers and of course they will be making their way into the network over the coming period, and even.
Speaker 1: Simpler things but that impact common users every day basis, which is spam calls for example.
Speaker 2: It's an excellent example. Fraud prevention in.
Speaker 3: Today's society is a big topics for consumers, but Ultimately it's actually for the reputation of the bank or the financial service. Can you trust that this transaction actually works? Is this payment legitimate? All of those things the network can now start to serve up. We call it fraud prevention, but it's actually a set of network capabilities served up over network APIs on the ericson Varnas platform provided to application developers. Whether you're building an app for the bank of financial services, you can now start to tap into networks not just in India, not just in US, but across the world because these networks are becoming open programmable through that network aggregation or the network API layer. And I think that the value for example banks and financial institutions, but frankly enterprises everyone of having strong security, strong identity management, and for example, fraud prevention. That's not just a consumer service. Those kind of services will be for basically everything.
Speaker 1: Is the day near or far when I will never receive any spam call because of what my telecom service provider is doing with the implementation of EI reading out spam from the real actual calls.
Speaker 2: It's not very far out.
Speaker 3: But I think when you think about spam calls, even if you can filter out the spam calls. Would that be enough? You may have a legitimate caller looks really looks like everything is perfect.
Speaker 1: There's this very scary trend of cyber arrest. People get a call on a video call, they're made to believe that they are being investigated by a security agency, and then they are made to empty their bank accounts. It's actually very very scary. So that's a very good point that you make.
Speaker 2: It is scary.
Speaker 3: So you actually need to get support from the network in terms of not just weeding out the simple part, but also going into the fake part, where actually AI will help in a big way because AI will will actually help to detect but also to warn consumers that this might actually be something you should not engage in.
Speaker 1: Eric just before you, we had the chief Minister of one of the largest economy state economies in India, Maarashta here with us. And before that underpretation, they all speak in terms of ease of speed of doing business. In the telecom world, speed of networks, a speed of data, the volume of data and the bandwidth that you would get was always spoken about. Has that world shifted away from speed to smartness? The capability explain that dot out for the average viewers.
Speaker 3: It's so great that you're picking up on that because here in the hours we talk about AI, but AI without that advanced connectivity will only go so far to get it to full diffusion. You need that better AI network, AI optimized network. So it used to be about downlink because video lots of data coming your way to the smartphone. Now with the glasses, the sensors and devices the autonomous vehicles, it's going to be much more traffic going from the device up to the AI that is typically on the network's iron on the cloud side, So you need to rebalance uplink and down link. Networks need to be programmable to handle that, but they also need to be dimensioned for the better uplink, the lower latency, the capabilities that are much more tuned to AI, not just the NAI but AI agents. And what is an AI agent. Well, it's a small worker typically talking to many other agents and that becomes a shatty conversation between AI agents. So it's a lot of traffic going back and forth between sensors and back end and a network and all that. So that requires that's actually completely different network traffic pattern. Networks need to be more of an intelligent fabric now than ever less about a pipe down to the smartphone. And I think we're well on the way to create that intelligent fabric for five.
Speaker 2: You now.
Speaker 3: Very soon for an AI optimized AI powered five and then onward to AI native sixty. So I think you're you're basically tapping into the coming three five years in terms of the intelligent fabric.
Speaker 2: What can the fabric do for you?
Speaker 3: Well, certainly guarantee that you have good connectivity wherever you need it the uplink down link, but it can also be a source of trust and security, and that's back to your discussion around fraud prevention or working with the real consumers and their concerns. So the network is already an intelligent fabric, but we will see much more of that in the coming years.
Speaker 1: Eric, you spoke about what the network can do for a user. Let me ask you what an AI enabled or an AI ready network will mean for the operator. The reason I ask you this question is that when it comes to r o I companies, and I'm specifically talking about India, I've invested billions of dollars both on the network on the spectrum. Companies like you actually make it happen because you do the technology. What does AI mean for the network? Will it continue? Will it be a cost heed or can they see a good Auto II scenario?
Speaker 2: We see those and I gave some example.
Speaker 3: I think about AI that is embedded into networks that could increase efficiency, capacity, spectrum efficiency, and that brings TCO savings. You can create better user experience with AI. In fact, moving to what we call autonomous networks, autonomous networks level four, which is almost self driving, you still need the human in the loop to make the final decision. The operators still need to decide ultimately whether a change should be implemented, but you get help with AI and autonomy for everything else that is now per domain showing these kind of gains and savings. I think it's much more exciting on the other side because it is an opportunity to grow the business. Think about India where past four hundred million five year subscriptions is going for one billion seed in just another five years time. So five year subscriptions continue to grow, there will be more differentiated. Every application, every agent, every human wants have different things. You have connecting homes, households, fixed wireless access, it's booming in India. To be able to handle all these service categories, automake it, do it autonomously in the network with sort of full oversight, of course, but to be able to grow the business instantly you have that kind of speed of business development. To your point earlier, that's going to be so much more important. Speed of the network is important, will remain, but speed of doing business, creating new businesses, setting up new network slices, all of these things is really whether the big you could say gain will come. So business opportunity moving to this autonomous network level, for I think is more important. In fact, if you take it one step further, why wouldn't you want every agent, every application, every sensor to have its tailored experience or user experience. You need to do that. That scale massively complex. But with AI, we can do it in the network. So then you grow your business by offering these services to enterprises, SMB's governments, everyone can actually get the service that they need and want, and of course I can pay for it in real time.
Speaker 1: I've spoken to you about this in the past, which is the advent of six G. From the Indian policy point of view, there is some work that is underway. You're the CITO of ericson, So I don't want to focus on the business case, but more on the technology and the evolution roadmap five D. Like you said, one billion users in India, but six G at some point is going to happen. What can you offer us in terms of an update about the path on the road to six G and the future that you see panning out.
Speaker 3: So the one billion that I mentioned, one billion subscriptions, that would be five year subscriptions. I mean, of course plenty of four year subscriptions today, but that's in just five years time. So think about five years out. Humors will basically be provided with five G. But then there is opportunity to make a further evolution from AI powered five G to that AI native sixty. And if you've done the business development, if you've done the upgrade to the network, the better network, then it's actually a smooth upgrade when you go into sixty, whether you decide to do that five years from now or a little bit earlier. And the reason I talk about it as different timelines is that we have started standardization of sixty, we have the ecosystem coming together. What is required from the ship sets. What's required from the networks, what's required from the enterprise is that actually it's going to consume these sixty or upgraded network services to make sure that this is a business driven transition to sixty rather than the standards or technology driven transition. So making that work already now in five D is critical, and I think India is really showing the way here with a better five D taking these step wise introduction of sixty. But having said that's it, I think what India is doing is great, which is to take a real stab at sixty, saying that sixty is important. Innovation is important, and wireless it's important for society, it's important for AI, it's important for everything we want to do.
Speaker 2: So we want to be early.
Speaker 3: So we are engaging with the Indian ecosystem government of course, but also universities, partners are customers, which are by the way leaders in the world now when it comes to five D to make sure that they have a path towards sixty. And that's sixty, we'll offer you maybe ten times better uplink performance, which would be needed for all the AI agents and all the physical AI connectivity. It will offer better spectrum efficiency. It will offer sensing, as I mentioned, on a wide scale. We already start to get that in five D, but you will get that on a wide scale in sixty. So there will be upgrade packages when you get to sixty. And my understanding from the sixty work, from the work we do with the Indian government, is that India has decided to be among the first, if not the first, in many of these areas, and of course we very much would like to be part of and support that with our customers and with the ecosystem. Sixty and an Ai Native sixty is really powering enterprises, SMB's government, certainly defense. So it's a much broader thing than forty or five D.
Speaker 1: Ever, was every conversation that I have with the cito of Ericson is a conversation where I learned new things. In an earlier life, I was a telecom reporter, so conversations like this with Eric are always fascinating. I wish we could continue it longer, but we've run out of time on this conversation. Eric, I thank you for your time with us today. Once again, with that, it's a wrap on this conversation. We'll be back with more until then, goodbye,