Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike C.
Speaker 2: Yelson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge and a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our wicked smart guests and Jeopardy champs and hear all about what worthy causes they are playing for and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some questions and answers with our first of four rounds today, the General Knowledge Round Round one, General Knowledge Thinking caps on champs pencils. They're ready, and away we go. There are eight questions in the General Knowledge Round. Here is question number one. I need you to name three of the five actors that play the high schoolers in detention in the John Hughes classic The Breakfast Club. Can you name three of the five actors that play the high schoolers that are in detention on a Saturday in that John Hughes classic film, The Breakfast Club. For question number one, Jackie, would you know this one?
Speaker 1: How many do you have to name?
Speaker 3: Three of the five?
Speaker 1: No, I could name one confidently. Okay, listen, it's a classic that I've certainly seen, but it wasn't on repeat in my house.
Speaker 3: It was yeah, it's a scosh. It's a scosh before your time too, Like it was like it is a classic in your world. Jents, how do you feel after one question?
Speaker 4: I know the movie, but like you know, I'm I'm like blanking out right, like you know, it could be like a bunch of people that they're like popular in that I'm thinking like Paula's John Penn, like they all come to my head. But like I don't think I can pin it down. It's been a while since I watched it.
Speaker 3: But excellent, Kevin, how you doing?
Speaker 2: I have three names written on my paper. We will find out if they were in the Breakfast Club in a few minutes.
Speaker 3: Fan fantastic. We'll moving right along to question number two of eight in the general Knowledge round. The tallest building in South America is the Grand Torre t O Rre, located in this West coast city of South America. Again, the tallest building in South America. Is the Grand Torre located in this West coast city. I'll give you the hint. That's also one of the capitals. It's a capital city as well. For question number two, all right, Question number three. What beverage had the slogan the Choice of a New Generation from nineteen eighty four to nineteen eighty eight, and then they brought it back again from nineteen ninety to nineteen ninety one. What beverage or brand had that slogan the choice of a New Generation from eighty four to eighty eight, and then also from nineteen ninety to ninety one. Name that beverage co For number three.
Speaker 2: I can see the ads in my head, but I can't think exactly.
Speaker 3: Narrow it down. Go with your gut.
Speaker 2: I have an answer.
Speaker 3: Okay, are you ready? For number four? Here we go, Question number four. Who became the first female to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for her novel The Age of Innocence The Age of Innocence? Name the author that wrote the Age of Innocence and became the first female to win the Pulitzer Prize. For number four, last name will Suffice. I have not read this book. Yet yet. All right, question number five, we're doing a little human body question for number five, If you tear your ACL, what did you tear? What does ACL stand for? If you tear your ACL?
Speaker 1: Oh, do you get points of you? Just know where it is?
Speaker 3: Maybe a half point. I tore this about a decade ago. I tore mine and had to get it completely repaired and replaced with a cadaver thing. So I have a ghost ghost part in me.
Speaker 2: Do they take the ACL of a cadaver or do they use like another party?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they used a ligament from another part of the body. They used like an ankle ligament, I think in case, so there's like all ligaments. It's amazing. It's amazing that I say, if they would have done this, you know thirty years ago, I'd have eighteen scars that are this long and all crazy. But it's like I have like three dots on my knee. That's how they went in and did it. It's like crazy, Cora easey.
Speaker 4: So do you want the expansion of the ACL or like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, what's the acronym stand for? It's the blank blank blank, the three words that go with ACL.
Speaker 2: I got two of those words. We're gonna throw.
Speaker 3: A throw a dart. Make a good guess, all right, question number six of eight in the General Knowledge Round. Jimmy Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and Stevie ray Vaughan are just a few of the musicians to use this model of electric guitar from Fender. It was the Fender what very famous guitar model from Fender that all these greats used. I think, Buddy Holly, there's just there's like dozens and dozens of the greatest guitarists. But Jimmy Hendricks, Eric Clapton, and Stevie ray Vaughn are just a few of the musicians to use this model of electric guitar from Fender. For number six, the Fender what I'm like.
Speaker 4: He wasn't shure about two things, I'm gonna put one on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of these show is one of these two.
Speaker 3: Narrow it down. When I was playing, because I wrote these games kind of almost back to back, and when I was doing the game with Jared, he was in a room where there was like six guitars behind him, I was like, oh, he would know that one easy.
Speaker 2: He got an entire classic rock category on the tournament champions, and I think that's what propelled him to beat Chris Panula was just like a Wheelhouse Double Jeopardy Classic Rock category, Jared Watson, it was perfect s.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, that's that's the thing you dream about when you're going on Jeopardy, Like, can I at least have one of those where I'm like I know this, I know this stuff better than anyone? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But then also then are you like I know this and then you're just like, oh no.
Speaker 3: We talked about that recently, where you can you can get that category where you're like, oh man, I know geography and you get a geography Final Jeopardy or whatever, and you wager everything or most and it's some crazy thing that you've never heard of in your life, and it's just it's mortifying. It's so scary. That's like when you're making those wagers on Daily Devils in Final Jeopardy, where you're like, oh, category is this? You're like I got this? I like, oh no, they picked something I don't know. Bastards. All Right, here we are our penultimate question in the General Knowledge round. Question number seven of eight, can you name two of the four current black US senators right now? In the US Senate. Can you name two of the four current black US Senators for question number seven? Again? Last names will suffice for question number seven? All right? And finally question number eight here it is what's the nickname for both the teams from BYU and Washington State? They share the same nickname for their teams when they play sports there? What is the nickname for both the teams from Brigham Young University and Washington State University, which I think is located in Pullman, Washington. It is?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 4: I know, like Kevin, most of this, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I did go to college and what now no longer exists as a PAC twelve school, the University of Oregon. So I paid a lot of attention to two teams that were in that may may they rest in peace.
Speaker 3: That what a weird? What a weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my two alma maters, the University of Oregon and the University of Maryland, are now in the same conference and we'll be playing football on a random night soon's it's stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And when they like, we care about the student athletes in college and they're like, you're making people from Maryland go play a football game and Oregon and then like.
Speaker 2: Do school class.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here, get out of here. All right, here we go, pencils down, we'll go over your answers and just a quick second, but it's time to meet our wonderful contestants here from Silver Spring, Maryland. He's a project manager for the Great American Rail Trail at Rails to Trails Conservancy. My new friend and Jeopardy champ, Kevin Bell is here today.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, Mike and Jackie. Nice to see you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You can follow k Beer on social media. It's at by Way of the Trail or Whiskey ginger drag, which is fantastic. That's maybe my favorite handle.
Speaker 2: What's that sound you here in the microphone. That's the whiskey ginger I'm drinking right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, whiskey and ginger. He's chugging it right now, not jugging, not jugging, sipping like a gentleman would.
Speaker 2: Or a lady.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kevin, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 2: I am playing for Smile s m y a L. It's a nonprofit in the DC area that supports LGBTQ plus youth, so they help with housing and education needs, mental health services. They have an annual Pride prom, which I think is such a cool thing because so many of us don't get to go to Pride prom as our authentic selves. I went to prom with a lovely lady named Amy, and I feel bad to this day, but I'm really happy with the services they do. And there's so many folks who don't get what they need at home, so it's a really important service that they provide.
Speaker 3: What a beautiful thing. Well, we're happy to make a donation in your name to s M y A L smile. Now it's time to meet your opponent from Shanai, India. I think you're first contestant from Shanai. He's a networking engineer and he's also a member of the Internet Architecture Board. This smart man, so rash Krishnan is here. Wow, Hey, welcome, Welcome Jackie.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me. And I'm like really happy to be here with Kevin, who's like my awesomebody. He's like fantastic and like we had like a like like fantastic time together when we met up for the Tournament of Champions and like you know, he's like Ken it's like an amazing dude and like you know, you've been having like really an awesome list of people from the TOC from last year, like you know, fantastic gang to hang out with, and today I kind of I'm playing for the Internet Archive, so the Internet was the charity I'm playing for. So what they're trying to do is like they're trying to digitize the Internet for the future. So if you look at like the Internet from like ten years ago, twenty years ago, it was like a much more innocent and like better place, I think, right if you the site with like you know, small eight bit graphics in the bottom, more content, like you know, not written for selling ads, like, it was like a fantastic place. They kind of try to archive everything, so they got like like tens of.
Speaker 4: Billions of the pages already archived.
Speaker 5: And they're also doing that for books as well, so like kind of to preserve or history for the future, right like the Internet history books, and they also do it for games. So they have this like beautiful church in San Francisco where this whole thing is based. It's like fantastic. It's like really looks like a Greek kind of passage, right like, and they have digitizing machines and everything inside. It's really really wonderful place to go to.
Speaker 3: That's so cool. Yeah, that's that's super important. And again I have found some of those old pages and old games that are on there and it's incredible. So yeah, we're happy to make a donation in your name to the Internet Archive. You can follow us A Rash on social media. He's on Reddit in Twitter, you can follow him at s U r E four the number four and Jay sure for Jay on Reddit in Twitter. You know, are two incredible contestants. You know, these beautiful charities they're playing for. But it's time to get back to brass tacks and go over our answers for a very fun general knowledge round. Question number one was named three of the five actors that play the high schoolers in detention in that John Hughes classic The Breakfast Club. Kevin, what did you put for number one?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I saw this movie once in high school and I feel confident about a couple. So I'm gonna I get Molly Ringwald, got jud Nelson, and I've got Ali sheety Ooh.
Speaker 3: Excellent guesses, sirresh What did you put for number one?
Speaker 4: As I said, I had Molly Ringwold, two had Chang Pen and Paul dread for some reason that I.
Speaker 3: I love it all around. The point's gonna go to Kevin. He nailed it. He got Molly Ringwald, Ali Sheety, and Judd Nelson. The other two were Emilio Estevez played the jock and then the nerd was played by Anthony Michael Hall. Anthony Michael Hall. So we have Milio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwalld, Judd Nelson, and Ali Sheety. So if you had any three of those, give yourselves a point. Good job. Question number two, The tallest building in South America is the Grand tore located in this West coast city and country's capital, Sarsh. What did you put for number two?
Speaker 4: I came up with Santiago Chile.
Speaker 3: Santiago Chile. Kevin, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is on the west coast, but I said Bogata, Colombia.
Speaker 3: Bogota, Colombia. Great guesses. The correct answer is Santiago, Chile, Santiago, Chile. We are tied at one after two questions, it's all tied up. Question number three what beverage company had the slogan the Choice of a new Generation from nineteen eight nineteen eighty eight, then they slightly changed it. Then they brought it back from nineteen ninety to ninety one. Kevin, what did you put for number three?
Speaker 2: Is it pepsi or diet pepsi?
Speaker 3: Question mark? Siesh? What did you put for number three?
Speaker 4: I had just pepsi because you said company, so I came up with pepsi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pepsi co or Coca Cola. You're thinking the choice of a new generation. Yeah, they had the Pepsi Challenge and they got Michael Jackson and a bunch of stars from the time to be there spokespeople. It was pepsi pepsi for number three. Well done. Question number four A little literature question. Who became the first female to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for her novel The Age of Innocence? Siesh. I had Walton Wharton, Edith Wharton. Kevin, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also wrote Edith Wharton.
Speaker 3: Hot, damn, you guys are on a roll. It is Edith Horton Wharton for number four. That did Yeah, Age of Innocence, Health, House of Mirth and some others. But yeah, won the Pulitzer first time for a lady. Question number five. If you tear your A C L, what did you tear? What does the A C L stand for in that kind of acronym? Kevin? What did you do?
Speaker 2: I tore my anterior cruci ligament? I wrote crucy. I wrote cruciatus, and I have no idea if that's correct.
Speaker 1: Is a spell from Harry Potter?
Speaker 2: It maybe that's.
Speaker 3: Cruciatis, Probably not right, but that's sir rash. What did you put?
Speaker 4: I had something close? I had anti a cruciate c r U C I A D legal spelling.
Speaker 3: Now, yes, you know what. I'm feeling very in charitable today. You guys are killing it. You guys nailed it. It is the anterior crucie yet ligaments. So I'm going to give you each the point. You guys were right there. It's your acls.
Speaker 2: Very generous, thank you.
Speaker 3: Question number six. Jimmy Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and Stevie ray Vaughn are just a few of the musicians to use this model of electric guitar from Fender. Sirsh what did you put I put into caser strata castor? Kevin? What did you put?
Speaker 2: I grew up watching a lot of Wayne's World and the Stratocaster is the only Fender I can think of because of that movie. So I wrote stratocaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you put Stratt or stratocaster, give yourselves a point. It is the Fender Stratocaster, not the telecaster. It's the stratocaster. For number six, question number seven, name two of the four current black US Senators will start with Kevin.
Speaker 2: So I wrote Corey Booker and Rafael Warnock. But I will say after this election, I hope that Maryland has another one Angel also Brooks.
Speaker 3: Vote for her, please fantastic siesh did you.
Speaker 4: Put yeah, Iroed Wanknock and Scott Yeah, yeah, I thought Booker do. I don't know who the fourth tone was, like, I thought three.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The fourth one is a little tough because you guys got three. It is from our state, Jackie in my state that she filled in for uh Kamala when Kamala became a vice presidential nomination. We have Lafonza Butler, but she is going to be leaving soon. She's not running for the election, so it's going to be you know, Adam Schiff for whoever is going to take her place. But right now you have Lafonza Butler, Corey Booker, Rafael Warnock and Tim Scott. But you both nailed it. You both get the point for number seven, doing really well. And then question number eight, what's the nickname for both teams from Brigham Young University and Washington State University? Sir Esh? What was your great guest? I want to hear this. This has got to be good. What did what did you come up with?
Speaker 4: I don't know, just it's politically cutting, but I said, Mormons.
Speaker 2: The more the fighting Mormons.
Speaker 3: Ah, that deserves a splooshe Mormons. I love it. And then Kevin, what did you put?
Speaker 2: It is the cougars?
Speaker 3: The cougars. It is, in fact the cougars of Wazoo or byu, it is the cougars. Great round, Holy smokes, Jackie, how are we doing after round one?
Speaker 1: What a strong round? It was tied up into the very last question. And because of that last question and the cougars, Kevin is ahead with seven points and Saresh is just behind with six.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, it's seven to six after one. That's just how we draw it up. What unbelievable. Those are sweet scores. I didn't take it easy on you guys, and you guys nailed it all right. We're moving right along. It's a one point game as we enter round two, which is always our pop culture grab bag.
Speaker 1: Round two, pop culture grab bag.
Speaker 3: Today in the grab bag, we're doing a movie round. More specifically, these are all questions about science fiction films. These are famous science fiction film questions. There are eight questions in the round. Here is question number one. Lawrence Fishburne played Morpheus in the Matrix series, but he also played the character Miller in this nineteen ninety seven sci fi film about a rescue crew that is tasked with investigating the mysterious reappearance of a spaceship that has been lost for seven years.
Speaker 1: That sounds fun.
Speaker 3: It's a great film. Sam Neil. Sam Neil is also in this movie with some great actresses as well. Do you guys need a hint on this one?
Speaker 2: Yes, I need to hit.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is deeply not my category, so I'm just gonna have a great time.
Speaker 3: Here, Michael, go ahead, give it him.
Speaker 2: No, what did you do?
Speaker 4: I given him?
Speaker 3: The hint I would have given is just, uh, it's a black hole is a like a prominent part of this film. So when you think about a black hole.
Speaker 2: You might hear I think I have the answer correct. Then I think I guessed wrong.
Speaker 3: All right, See you knew it. You're smart. All right, Here we go. Question number two. This movie is from twenty thirteen. What mode of transport is the Snow Piercer? It's a TV show and a film, but I'm talking about the movie from a little over a decade ago, Snow Piercer. What mode of transport is the.
Speaker 2: Snow decade ago?
Speaker 3: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: That's crazy movie came out.
Speaker 3: Yeah it doesn't.
Speaker 1: That's not over a decade ago, Is that right?
Speaker 4: Twenty thirty favor?
Speaker 3: What else? What else did they do that director better site? Oh that is we did the host Yeah yeah, yeah, Memories of Murder and the That is pretty cool. Yeah. Train to Busana is fantastic. All right, Here we go Question number three in the round. A couple of years later, in twenty fifteen, an astronaut played by Matt Damon becomes stranded on another planet after his team assume him dead and must rely on his ingenuity to find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive and can survive until the potential rescue name that film for number three, based on a Andy Weir bestseller. Again for question number three. This came out in twenty fifteen. An astronaut played by Matt Damon becomes stranded on another planet after his team assume him dead and must rely on in his ingenuity to find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive and can survive until a potential rescue. All right, question number four one of my favorite questions in the game. What's the name of the piece of technology inside the DeLorean that makes time travel in the Back to the Future franchise? What is that little thing in between the seats of the Dolorean? What do they call that thing? For question number four, what's the name of the piece of technology inside the DeLorean that makes time travel possible? In the Back to the Future franchise?
Speaker 4: It's time leap yourself to be a geek?
Speaker 2: Yeah, says the guy who won six games of Jeopardy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it keeps paying off si esh. All right, here we go question number five. This week we're kicking at a little old school here and from nineteen seventy three, a nightmarish futuristic fantasy about the controlling power of big corporations and an innocent cop played by Charlton Heston who stumbles on the truth. Name Matt film from nineteen seventy three, again a night marish futuristic fantasy about the controlling power of big corporate and an innocent cop played by Charlton Heston who stumbles on the truth. Can you name that film for number five? All right? Question number six. This is a more recent flick from twenty eighteen. The great director Alex Garland. He made a film called Annihilation, and it's about a biologist that signs up for a dangerous secret expedition into a mysterious zone where the laws of nature don't apply. What I want to know is what actress starred as that biologist in that film Annihilation. Very famous actress.
Speaker 1: Can you repeat what you want to know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to know the actresses that plays the biologist in this film, and it's Alex Garland is the director. He directed the film Annihilation. It's about a biologist that signs up for a dangerous secret expedition into a mysterious zone where the laws of nature don't apply. What I want to know is what actress stars in this film Annihilation and as that biologist. All right, here we go question number seven of eight in the pop culture grab bag today we're talking about science fiction films. Number seven is Sigourney Weaver played Ripley of course in Many, an alien movie, but she also starred in this nineteen ninety nine comedy alongside Tim Allen and Alan Rickman, one of the funniest movies I think of the last thirty forty years. Again for number seven, Sigourney Weaver played Ripley, of course in Many, an alien movie, but she also starred in this nineteen ninety nine comedy alongside Tim Allen and Alan Rickman. Named matt film for number seven. And then finally question number eight. The most recent movie. This just came out last year. John Boyega stars in this flick about a series of eerie events that thrusts an unlikely trio onto the trail of a nefarious government conspiracy. See in this pulpy mystery caper titled They Cloned? Who? Who did they Clone? They Cloned? Blank? I think it was a Netflix film that came out last year. I'll repeat it again. John Boyega stars in this flick about a series of eerie events that thrust an unlikely trio onto the trail of a nefarious government conspiracy in this pulpy mystery caper titled they Cloned Fill in the blank, they cloned Who? For number eight, do we need any repeats?
Speaker 4: Kevin? Do you have it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I have it?
Speaker 1: You have the John boyego one.
Speaker 2: I have an answer that is gonna be a person's name, So you'll find out what that is later.
Speaker 3: You get it right. That could be a hell of a poll.
Speaker 2: That could be a would be something.
Speaker 3: All right, pencils down, Let's go over our answers in the pop culture grab bag Today. In the bag we're talking about science fiction films. There were eight questions in the round. Question Number one was about Laurence Fishburne, who played Morpheus in the Matrix series but also played this character Miller, in the nineteen ninety seven sci fi film about a rescue crew that is tasked with investigating the mysterious reappearance of a spaceship that had been lost for seven years. Did it come to you, Sish? Start us off for number one.
Speaker 4: I've seen this one. I was pretty sure it's even.
Speaker 3: Horizon event Horizon, Kevin, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I would like to prove that I am not cheating, and I did write Event Horizon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is, in fact Event Horizon, great kind of sci fi thriller. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was confused though, because I kept saying, that's not right, because that's the name of that terrible nineties band that did She's Everything You Want. And I was like, no, that's Vertical.
Speaker 4: Horizon, Kevin.
Speaker 2: That's it's it's a fine song. I can't say that I'm to bop it on my playlist tomorrow, but yeah, I was like, no, Event Horizon is the movie.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think it's nicer from the beginning than than Than Than then the come on, KEEVI like.
Speaker 3: That, Oh God, a vertical Horizon reference in the show. I love it, fantastic. Question number two is from twenty thirteen. What mode of transport is the snow Piercer Kevin?
Speaker 2: I would have had no idea, but my husband and I watched a lot of TV during the pandemic, and the TNT show Snow Piercer was showing ads all the time.
Speaker 3: It's a train, a train, siresh, what did you put the train?
Speaker 4: I watched it. It's streating, amazing and you need to watch the movie game. It gotvs in it.
Speaker 2: How do you know my my bucket list? We never discussed that, Siresh, are you in my brain? I'll watch it, I'll watch it.
Speaker 4: I guess it's like it's he's on my watch bucket list too, So that's kind of how I knew.
Speaker 2: I liked that your wife.
Speaker 3: Chris Evans in the film, And there is the TNTTV version It is a train. The snow Piercer is a train for number two. Question number three is from twenty fifteen and astronaut played by Matt Damon becomes stranded on another planet after his team assume him dead and he must rely on his ingenuity growing potatoes and whatnot find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive and can't survive until a potential rescue. Siresh, what do you got for number three?
Speaker 4: I got The Martian The Martian. Yeah, So I did the book and saw the movie.
Speaker 2: So I'm a three.
Speaker 3: Condent double duty on the book and the film.
Speaker 2: Kevin, what did you put The Martian only because of the movie?
Speaker 3: Did not read the book? Yeah? I liked. Yeah, I liked both. I thought the book was fantastic, and then I liked I liked the movie as well h. Question number four, what's the name of the piece of technology inside the DeLorean that makes time travel possible in the Back to the Future franchise?
Speaker 2: Kevin, I think it's the flux capacitor.
Speaker 3: Flux capacitor, Siresh is nodding and giving a thumbs up. You agree, I believes it is. It is, yeah, Doc, Doc Brown's flux capacitor is your answer for number four? Which just looks like kind of three lights in a Y shaped and that that does it. That's all you need. Question number five is from nineteen seventy three, a nightmarish futuristic fantasy about the controlling power of big corporations and an innocent cop played by Charlton Heston who stumbles on the truth. Siresh, what did you get for number five?
Speaker 4: I thought this was silent green as people, silent green, soilent green.
Speaker 3: Kevin, what did you put?
Speaker 2: It's people, yes, soilent green.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is people. Soilent green is people. It is soilent green for number five. Question number six came out in twenty eighteen. Alex Garland's Annihilation is about a biologist that signs up for a dangerous secret expedition into a mysterious zone where the laws of nature don't apply? What actress starred as? That biologist Kevin So.
Speaker 2: This was one of her last films and people did not know about it very much. This was Betty White, not bet Ah.
Speaker 3: Betty White in Annihilation starring Betty White. Siresh, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I came up with the beautiful black swan Natalie Bookman.
Speaker 3: Beautiful blacks Natalie Portman or Betty White, Betty White or Natalie Portman Natalie, Yes, they're always auditioning. The correct answer is Natalie Portman, Natalie Portman. Great pul sar resh, well done, but great guess with Betty White. I love that question Number seven. Sigourney Weaver played Ripley, of course, in Many, an alien flick, but she also started this nineteen ninety nine comedy alongside Tim Allen and Alan Rickman, the late Great Alan Rickman. Sir rash, we're up with you.
Speaker 4: I've seen this more of a while ago. I think I got the name right. I think it's Galaxy Quest.
Speaker 3: Galaxy Quest, Kevin, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also wrote Galaxy.
Speaker 3: Quest, nailed it, killed it, crushing it. Kevin. You're doing you're doing fine in this round, it is Galaxy. Yeah, you were nervous, but yeah, it is Galaxy. Quest. I've watched it, I think for the like fifth time, maybe a couple weeks ago with my girlfriend. It's it's fantastic. It's so good. Uh. And finally question number eight tough one from last year, John Boye guest stars in this flick about a series of eerie events that thrusts an unlikely trio onto the trail of a nefarious government conspiracy. In this pulpy mystery caper titled They Cloned Who? Fill in that blank? They cloned who?
Speaker 2: Kevin So, I feel quite confident this time that it's Betty White.
Speaker 3: Yes, they cloned Betty White. They should have cloned like her a bunch of times because she's a goddamn national treasure. Sir, rash, What did you put?
Speaker 4: I came up with MLK, so obviously it's not much.
Speaker 2: They just up my.
Speaker 3: Drink white again. It's an either or. It's like the Natalie Portman Betty White. Now it's Betty White MLK, Betty Roles. Oh my god, this movie. I recommend it. It's a good watch. John Boyega. And it's called They Cloned Tyrone. They cloned Tyrone is what I was going for. It's on Netflix. It's a Netflix flick. Holy cow, you guys did pretty damn well in the grab bag, Jackie, How we doing it? Halftime?
Speaker 1: Another killer round? So killer? We kind of have a lead change, Sir Rush, you got one point more than Kevin's. That means right now you both are tied with thirteen points.
Speaker 4: How we like to do it?
Speaker 1: Friends with the same score?
Speaker 3: Holy cow, it's thirty team all at halftime or with Kevin Bell. You can follow him on social media at by Way of the Trail and at Whiskey Ginger Drag. He's playing for s m y A L Smile. And then we're here with Sireesh Krishnan. You can follow him on Reddit and Twitter at Sure for j and he is playing for the Internet our kive. Holy smokes, we got a barn burner. As we head into our dastardly lightning.
Speaker 4: Round Round three, the lightning round?
Speaker 3: All right, do you have the headings picked out? Jackie? For the lightning round? Yes?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: What do you have?
Speaker 1: You two can pick from share, dion or tie. Oh this has nothing to do with the question, but you know you get to pick from Share, Dion or Tie.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I loves our clueless gals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so since it's yeah, since it's a tie, how do we do this? We rock paper scissors to see who goes first? Oh right, flip a coin age before beauty.
Speaker 2: Oh then, Siresh, you go first.
Speaker 3: That answer deserves a huzza. All right, sir Resh, you're gonna go first, even though you're tied. For Folks at home, they did. They did a round robin rock paper scissors tournament Best of seventeen, and Sresh came out on You could choose from these three clueless characters that Jackie came up with today, Share, Dion and Tide. Name your poison, Share, please, thank you? Share. All right, we're doing this one. All right. There's gonna be twenty seconds on the clock. I'm gonna say the question twice and say go. You're gonna have twenty seconds. Say as many answers as possible, Kevin, write some answers down because I'm gonna come straight to you with your five second rebuttal as soon as Sarresh's twenty seconds are up. All right, here we go here in the lightning round, Siresh, here, is your share lightning round question? What I want to know from you? Or what are the top nine US states with the most nine thousand plus foot peaks? These are the most mountainous US states. The top nine US states with the most nine thousand plus foot peaks twenty seconds on the clock and a go.
Speaker 6: Alaska, Colorado, California, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, bodygun.
Speaker 3: Stop stop stop. I think you got six. I think you got Colorado, Alaska, California, Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. You got Yeah, I think you got the top six. Gain you got the top six. So there's still three that are up. Four grabs, Kevin, your chance to steal some answers as still three on the board. The top nine US states with the most nine thousand plus foot peaks five second rebuttal and.
Speaker 2: Go Nevada, Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico.
Speaker 3: Stop stop. You got the other three, so combined you nailed it all. It was Nevada, Idaho, and New Mexico were the other three most mountainous US states, So combined you nailed it. You nailed the share question. And now it's Kevin's turn in the barrel. You can pick Dia or tie, name your poison.
Speaker 2: It cannot pick Dion because we don't mess with Stacy dash So I'm picking Tie.
Speaker 3: I kind of knew that was, but we're not.
Speaker 1: We're messing with the character of Dion. But you unders you gotta go to Brittany Murphy of.
Speaker 3: Course understand, yes, yes, yes, yes, all right, here we go. Let me get this one ready, All right, here is your tie lightning round question. Let's say it twice twenty seconds. Say go, say as many things as possible Kevin and Siresh writes answers, donc I'm gonna come straight to you with your five second rebuttal as soon as Kevin's twenty seconds are up. So here is your tie lightning round question. Per Lovehappens mag dot com, what are the top nine most popular fashion magazines Fashion magazines? So, per Lovehappens mag dot com, what are the top nine most popular fashion magazines? Seconds on the Clock and A.
Speaker 2: Go Cosmo, Vogue, L teen, Vogue. Oh God, you can have my gay card after this. Gosh Sports Illustrated please Victoria's Secret. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Stop you nail those first three. You got the first three straight away, You got Vogue, L and Cosmo are in the top four, so you got three of the top four straight away, Sir Resh, your chance to try and steal some again. Perlovethappens mag dot com. What are the top nine most popular fashion magazines? Five seconds on the clock and go so.
Speaker 4: GQ, Maxim, Vanity Fair essence Stop.
Speaker 3: You nailed two. You got two of them. You got GQ and Vanity Fair. Well done, so let's go over the ones we did get to. Number three on the list was Harper's Bizarre, Number six was Marie Claire, Number seven was Allure and number eight was in Style in Style magazine. But you guys did very well in both of these tough lightning round questions.
Speaker 2: You pulled a big lead there, my friend. Good work.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't have a big lead.
Speaker 3: You do now.
Speaker 1: It's not too crazy though. Both of your scores at this point in the game are crazy. The discrepancy is not Kevin Now. At this point in time, you are officially behind with nineteen points. But to be quite honest, sir Esh is not far ahead of you with twenty one points, and we're about to enter the double duty round, so anything goes, anything could happen.
Speaker 2: My math was very wrong. There. Good work, my friend.
Speaker 3: We are so close.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have a great time in the final round.
Speaker 3: That was an excellent lightning round. Well done. One to nineteen sireshes in the lead by just two points. As we enter our fourth and final round between you two gents, Round four, the Double Duty. It is the Theodore Double Duty Radcliffe round. We call it the Double Duty because points are doubled and there are nine questions instead of eight, so they're eighteen very important points up for grabs today in the Double Duty. You guys are both kind of keen with this, so we're doing a world Geography round. Here is question number one of nine in your World Geography Double duty. What sea lies between mainland China and the Korean Peninsula? Name that sea that lies between mainland China and the Korean Peninsula for question number one. All right, moving things along to question number two. What southern city is the oldest city in the state of Georgia and is the county seat of Chatham County. That'saham County, Chatham County Again for question number two, What southern city is the oldest city in the state of Georgia and is the county seat of Chatham County. For question number two. We're getting down to it. It's getting real quiet near question number three. What is the highest mountain in the Alps and Western Europe. It's kind of at that delineation between Italy, Switzerland and France. What is the highest mountain in the Alps and Western Europe? For question number three, Question number four of nine in your World geography round, Malay mL e is the capital city of the small nation that is made up of twenty six atolls. Island nation or atoll nation. Malay m a l E with a little accent on the e is the capital city of this small nation that is made up of twenty six atolls.
Speaker 4: For number four, Devin Hasset, He's like smiling, He's geting this nice.
Speaker 2: I'm smiling because I have a degree in geography, and I'm going to be mortally embarrassed if i don't get at least like half of these questions right. So wish me luck on that one.
Speaker 3: I think you're both you're both going to do well. I can feel it. Question number five goes like this. The two main tributaries, the White Nile and the Blue Nile, meet in what northeast African capital city. The Blue Nile and the White Nile meet up right near or right in this northeast African capital city. Name that city. For number five. Number six, we're going to the South Pacific here. Auckland and Wellington are located on fairly opposite ends of which of the main islands of New Zealand. It's kind of a coin flip unless you've been there. Question number six. Auckland and Wellington are located on fairly opposite ends of which of the main islands of New Zealand. For question number six, and then there were three three questions left, it could come down to these three questions. Here we go, question number seven, what range of famous peaks are just ten miles south of Yellowstone National Park? For question number seven, what range of famous peaks are just ten miles south of Yellowstone National Park? All right? Question number eight, What is the four letter term that is used on the Indian subcontinent that refers to a series of steps leading down to a body of water or wharf? These a lot along the rivers and banks of bodies of water? What is the four letter term that is used on the Indian subcontinent that refers to a series of steps leading down to a body of water or wharf.
Speaker 4: Is it's an English word?
Speaker 2: Right? Like?
Speaker 4: Is that something I can ask for? I?
Speaker 3: I like it might have like multiple meanings. It might also be used somewhere else, so we could talk about it when we just like when we reveal the answer. I know you've heard of this term, but I'm sure it's like based on you know, a different language than English. I don't think it's an English word. And finally, question nine of nine in the Double Duty or World Geography round, can you name either of the Canadian provinces where the Bay of Fundy lies between? The Bay of Fundy lies between these two Canadian provinces? Can you name one of those provinces? For question number nine? Can you name either of the Canadian provinces where the Bay of Fundy lies between or betwixt? Alrighty, pencils down, Let's go over your answers for this World Geography Double Duty round. Question one of nine was what sea lies between mainland China and the Korean Peninsula? Kevin? What did you put for number one?
Speaker 2: I think this is the name of the sea. Is it the Yellow Sea?
Speaker 3: The Yellow Sea? Suresh What did you put I had the same same thing, the Yellow Sea. The correct answer is the Yellow Sea. Yeah, Beijing, Pyongyang, Soul all kind of very near this body of water. It is the Yellow Sea. Great job. Two points apiece for there, there we go. Question number two, what southern city is the oldest city in the state of Georgia and is the county seat of Chatham County? Siresh, I had Savannah, Savannah, Georgia. Kevin, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I wrote Charleston, but I think might be correct.
Speaker 3: Here Charleston and Savannah. Great guesses. The correct answer is Savannah, Georgia. Two big points for Siresh. Question number three, what is the highest mountain in the Alps and Western Europe? Yeah, it's kind of the the massive that it's a part of. Yeah, like straddles Italy, France and Switzerland. I think, Kevin, what did you put? I think it's mont Blanc mont Blanc. Ssh. What did you put?
Speaker 4: Put?
Speaker 3: Monblan?
Speaker 4: I'm doing I think the side of.
Speaker 3: It like no, I'm doing my dual lingo French. Yeah, drives me nuts when they don't pronounce half the letters in any of their words. Moblo, it is mont Blanc for number three. Guys are doing very well. Question number four, Malay is the capital city of this small nation that is made up of twenty six atolls in the Indian Ocean. Sir resh, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I put on Maldi's which may not exist in under years because very plus to sea level.
Speaker 3: Yep, they're slowly sinking into the ocean. Kevin, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also wrote Maldives.
Speaker 3: Maldives and Maldives two more points a piece. Fantastic job the both of you. Question number five. The two main tributaries, the White Nile and the Blue Nile, meet in what northeast African capital city? Kevin.
Speaker 2: There's a good chance I overthought this, but I wrote Asmara Osmara Eritrea.
Speaker 3: Great guests, sirsh what did you put?
Speaker 4: I's faby sure this is Katum Sudan.
Speaker 3: Okay. So we have Asmara and we have Khartum. One of you is correct, one of you is incorrect. The correct answer is Khartum, the Sudan. Two big points for number five Number six, Auckland and Wellington are located on fairly opposite ends of which of the main islands of New Zealand, Sish.
Speaker 5: I picked not because I remember like christ Chest is the only thing in South Island, so I picked up.
Speaker 3: Island, North Island. Kevin. What did you put?
Speaker 2: Well, one of us is correct because I rode the South.
Speaker 3: Island, so of the South and the North. Yeah, christ Church is on the South Island, so Auckland and Wellington are kind of on the tips of the North Island of New Zealand. But yeah, killing it is right. Question number seven. What range of famous peaks are just ten miles south of Yellowstone National Park? Kevin?
Speaker 2: I drew an inappropriate picture and wrote the word titans.
Speaker 3: Gigle, giggle a grand tetons. Siresh. What did you put?
Speaker 4: I did the same but in appropriate pictures, don't lie.
Speaker 3: I visited these a few years back. Yeah, it's the Grand Titans that are very close to the south entrance to Yellowstone National Park near Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Question number eight. What is the four letter term that is used on the Indian subcontinent that refers to a series of steps leading down to a body of water or wharf or river. Siresh? What did you put?
Speaker 5: I had no idea on this and I wrote down like the word for step in my language is just buddy, pad, I like, I'm pretty sure it's not that I don't.
Speaker 3: But okay, Kevin, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I wrote the word waddie w A D I. I have no idea what that means, but it's four letters, so I wrote it.
Speaker 3: You guys came up with two four letter words. Well, yeah, the word I was going for is a gat A g H A T A gat. Have you ever heard of a gat?
Speaker 4: The gad is a term for a mountain like so if I look for the term, so like the mountain's like you know on the western side of India cale, That's what.
Speaker 3: I've seen that I've seen both of those terms. That's why I was saying it was probably a multiple term things. So when I saw it, I was like, that's interesting. So we no harm, no foul.
Speaker 2: I've heard of the giat before, but not a gyat.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the word I was going for is gat g h A T. But yeah, it is. You see it in mountain ranges along the coasts of India as well. Question number nine, can you name either of the Canadian provinces where the Bay of Fundy it lies between these two provinces? Can you name either one of those provinces, Kevin.
Speaker 2: I wrote Newfoundland, Newfoundland.
Speaker 3: Great guess, siesh, what did you put Nova Scotia Nova Scotia correct? Answer? It lies between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia is where you would find the Bay of Fundy. That was an extremely difficult category. I would have not done well in this category, but you guys did very, very well. After all of this, Jackie, what is our final score?
Speaker 1: That last round got crazy and Sish absolutely demolished pretty dang hard. So he is this smartest person in the world for one week with thirty seven points whoo and Kevin just behind with twenty seven. Little cute little matching.
Speaker 3: We like that.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna share my little bit Kevin, so we are going to be postmodest lessons for the week.
Speaker 3: Fantastic.
Speaker 2: He's smart and he's generous as well.
Speaker 3: Look at you.
Speaker 5: You know, just like high jumping people from the last Olympics, they decided to the gold medal.
Speaker 4: That is like picking amazing.
Speaker 2: They didn't decide and it happened that the American wanted to share, but the I think he was New Zealand he didn't want to share and he ended up winning. From this one Olympics. Yeah, I was like, I'll just share the gold medal, dang it, but you won, Siesh. But I will take whatever drags you will give me. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Both, great scores on a challenging game and you guys like crushed it throughout and Bell we're happy to make a donation in your name to smile s m y a l If you have some extra scratch in your pocket, make a donation to that wonderful charity. And again, you can follow him on social media at by Way of the Trail and at Whiskey Ginger Drag and then our Tramp Sireesh Krishnan. You can follow him on social media at sure for J, on Reddit and Twitter, and we're happy to make a donation in his name to the in our net archive. Great game, gents, but it's not over, because it's time for our final throwdown.
Speaker 2: The final throwdown.
Speaker 3: This is where Jackie Gonzales de Ruthi comes up with a one off question where the three of us can discuss what's what and then hopefully we all learn a little something something before we're through. So Jackie lay it on us this.
Speaker 1: Listen, this is what I got for today fresh on the mind, and whenever I do a fresh on the mind what not, whenever I they're always fresh on them. Sometimes they're good, and sometimes they get got like this and this might get answered very quickly, and that's okay, and that's okay. We like to win. We like to win, and if anyone doesn't know this, we like to learn. The question being what pop star has a cat named after the Gray's anatomy titular character?
Speaker 2: I mean, I have a guess, what's on the mind?
Speaker 3: I think that's yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I was thinking t TS just because of her cat post for support yesterday.
Speaker 4: Is there a cat named Benjamin or something?
Speaker 3: Is it McDreamy, is it McSteamy?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: So now you have to get now that you now that you've accurately and quickly guessed the pop star? Uh yeah, now you have to guess the cat's name.
Speaker 3: Is it named after the character or the actor actress that plays the character titular character?
Speaker 2: Tituly, So, what's the name of what's Gray's first name? What's her first name?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't know, crap. I was thought her cat was named Ellen Pompeo.
Speaker 1: That's a great cat name.
Speaker 3: That would be a great cat name.
Speaker 2: There are people screaming into their headphones right now.
Speaker 3: I've watched all sixty seven seasons of this show, which I have not so like I only know, like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Not Christian Gray because that's a different show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's Meredith. It's Meredith Grey.
Speaker 3: Meredith Gray. There it is Meredith Gray. Fantastic, Well, Jents, it was a pleasure to have you on the show. And uh yeah, continued success and all the things that you guys do and have a great rest of your year. And yeah, hopefully sooner rather than later we could all be in the same place.
Speaker 4: Thanks Love, Minke, Thanks Shacky, and thanks Key like for like you know, making this like a fantastic like our or so like I'm looking forward to hearing this and like coach Champions like kind of fighting this out, So really looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having us, hell Si Esha, I miss your face. It's always good to see you.
Speaker 4: You Toobe buddy, see.
Speaker 1: You next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 3: I want to help out the podcast. Please subscribe to You Should Know Better wherever you listen to podcasts, Rate our show and write a review.
Speaker 2: If you can.
Speaker 3: It really helps get the word out to the masses. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action check us out on TikTok and Instagram until next week. Take care of yourselves and each other, We're all in this together, and then the immortal words of Harry Carey, So long. Everybody You should know Better is produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie and myself Mike C. Nelson, edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Sheena, voice over tenant let Talia Castellianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderic co
Speaker 4: Hand Belo Band