Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome to Coming Out PUD. Yeah, we are recording this Friday morning. I had mentioned at the end of the last episode that I wanted to do a post election episode. That's what's happening now. I wanted to let you know that we're recording Friday, so that if anything wacky happens over the weekend or on Monday, it won't be we won't be able to speak to that. But I wanted to do an episode as close to the release date as possible so we know the results. They're not great, and that's one of the things where we're going to talk about. I'm really I'm very excited about my guest, who I will introduce momentarily. I had I had a guest in mind to discussed not only her coming out story, but sort of speak to the election results. I had hoped that they would be favorable and that we could have sort of upbeat discussion about them. But as you guys know, if you've listened all these years, I am nothing if not a realist. So I was prepared for a not great outcome, and I wanted to choose a guest to who I felt I could have a good conversation with about what's going on, So we will get into all of that, but just uh yeah, sending everybody a lot of love and compassion and this podcast, no matter what is going on around us, I will always start with a queer route shout out and today is no different. So today's queer root shout out comes from a listener. This listener is named Nicki. Nicki wrote in and asked to sh if I would shout out her one of her queer roots. So shout out to you if your queer root is Hailey Hudson in the movie Freaky Friday. I am speaking of the more recent Freaky Friday with Lindsay Lowan and Jamie Lee Curtis. I scandalously have never seen this movie, so I had to look this up. Hailey Hudson plays a character named Peg who is in Lindsay Lohan's band. She's like the cool emo guitar or possibly bass player, and Nicky says I had seen a meme that was like, if you still remember the song they perform in Freaky Friday, it's because you're by and boy were they right, So shout out to Hailey Hudson. They are in fact doing another Freaky Friday this coming year, Freakier Friday, and I checked and Hailey Hudson will be in that movie as Peg, so maybe she'll be able to, you know, be a queer root for a whole new generation of baby gays. But thank you for sending that one in, Niki, and so without further ado, we will hop into this episode. My guest today is mary Ellen Kpik. Hi.
Speaker 2: Mary Ellen, Hi, Lauren, it's great to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm so appreciative to you for doing this. Mary Ellen is in New Mexico and recently had a storm where the electricity went out. It dropped down to I think you said twenty seven, but it's all come back. The snow has stopped, so we are I'm so glad we're able to do the episode as planned. Mary Ellen has had an unbelievably rich and full life. So I'll say that the kind of impetus for you being on the podcast is a book of poetry you wrote that is going to be coming out at the time that this episode airs. It'll be out the end of the week. It'll be out very shortly. Do you know the exact what's the exact date.
Speaker 2: That the November fifteenth, November fifteenth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excellent, And at the end of this episode we will well it's available on all platforms, but I will I'll put all the links and we will get into that. Mary Ellen is also going to read some poetry from that book. But Mary Ellen is not just a poet. She has authored other books as well as she she has been a professor, she has been on committee, she has a very long resume. So we will we will get to those things as they come up in the story. But I'm so so thrilled to have you here. Yeah, just thank you, thank you for doing this. I'm really appreciative.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to be here. And I really look forward to talking about with the election what happened, because I've been doing a lot of thinking about it, both as an activist, as a writer and or as a writer activist and trying to sort out directions from here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear that Mary Allen was saying she actually woke up this morning at five am and had so much, you know, going on in her head that she wrote she wrote a piece that, uh, just kind of about the current moment. Yeah. Just I'm really looking forward to speaking to you about all all of the horrors. But before that, we're going to talk about you, and we're going to talk about your life experiences and your journey and and sort of, yeah, let's have some joy before we kind of get into all of the the less joyful stuff. Mary Ellen, how do you identify in terms of the words you like to use for yourself?
Speaker 2: Human being? First, beautiful? I'm a relapsed Methodist and I'm an an aging Methodist. Of that, you could put that in any order you want.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's incredible. Okay, okay, relapsed slash aging Methodist. I love that. Are do you do you want to? I live in La so you never ask a lady her age, But do you want to?
Speaker 2: Sure? I am proud of it. I'm eighty two. I'll be eighty three in December.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing. Yeah. Yeah, And that's again why I'm so thrilled to speak to you, because it's like you, gosh, you've lived through some terrible administrations. We can yeah, I mean I barely remember Reagan. I was very young, but like, I feel like that's that's where I tap out knowledge wise, So oh my goodness. But yeah, but I said, I said we were going to get to all that later. So I want to keep my promise. We're going to talk about you. Uh yeah, Where where does it begin? What do you consider your coming out story?
Speaker 2: And you can start, let me just give a little background. In fact, what I would love to do is just read the first time you want a book.
Speaker 1: That would be fantastic, because that kind of.
Speaker 2: Sets the scene for everything else I've struggled with the whole rest.
Speaker 1: Of my life.
Speaker 2: And the name of the poem is called Dancing Class. And I'll just start out and read it and we can talk about it afterwards if you want. But we danced in the school basement. Strauss Waltz is mingled with the smells of chocolate milk and stale peanut butter sandwiches, bits of wonderbread like paste, wax smeared across the floor. We ducked bare bulbs that swung too low, making awkward shadows on the posts. Steam in the pipes beat its own dance tunes. I dreaded Tuesday afternoons. Boys choose partners, red faced and nervous. They eyed us from across the room, then jostled for the few girls wearing bras The rest of us lined the wall and waited to be touched or paired by some five eleven in my socks and flat chested, I was never chosen. I danced with our teacher or Bert as fat as I was tall, who later did time and raw way for running down an old lady in his forty eight Dodge convertible. Elaine was always picked. She wore thirty four b in the sixth grade, was fast, Jewish and my best friend. For her, I stepped on cracks and once on a dare farted in class. Her father, a widower, hired housekeepers with carrot hare, who told us dirty stories. One sang to herself, don't ever let them get you in bed until you've been to town. Elaine once told me scared boys only fuck you when you bleed, or was it the other way around. I ran home from school one day in tears a shame, screaming, shit, you shit, you bitch. Across the street. Elaine had let a chorse che that afternoon. Mary Ella has no fella, tiny tits and giant feet. Boys take the lead one and two and dip and no she dips, burt, not you. The needles of their laughter stuck and warped. Our moves chosen or not chosen. We measured time by twos, and that to me kind of sums up this whole forced heterosexuality that we all of us were raised up in. And you know, my story, so to speak, really builds from that. I met my husband in graduate school and it was a good marriage. We fell in love and I deeply loved and respected him. We were married for over a decade and we divorced mainly because we were we had different kinds of things we wanted to be doing, how we wanted to live our lives, not because of my sexuality. We worked very hard to stay connected, not least because of his kids, whom I loved and who are still in our lives and my partners in my life. And so was Mike. I for years have called him my husband and our husband, and he and Sue have gotten to be over the years good friends. In fact, he really cares a great deal about her soon as your part and I feel very proud that we've been able to have that kind of connection that we build onto it. I had different relationships after the divorce, including my first lesbian lover that I was so immersed in my work at that point, I was helping to start a national coalition of research, policy and activist centers in acteen eighty one, the National Council for Research and Women. And you know, I'd gone from teaching in a community college in Newark to Princeton, where I was asked to run the Continuing End program. I thought, I was, you know, the culture shock, I mean, good grief. Went from a world of open door admission black and Hispanic students to elite white, mostly white students, and it was it was just culture shock. I guess it's the easiest way to say it. Even though I was living in Princeton, my husband was then on the faculty English department, and I knew the university to some extent, But that experience at Princeton really taught me so much about dysfunctional organizations and this all the stuff you shouldn't talk about. In fact, my next book, that hopefully will be my last book, is called The Power of Naming, and it's try to get at why is it that there's stuff in an institution or organization that everybody in the organization knows janitor to the CEO yep, but nobody wants to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the open. I mean, I feel like open secrets is just a theme throughout America all queer people. Like the concept of open secrets is such a nefarious part of like our culture and our existence. And I know we're trying to chip away at that, but god, it is so ingrained in every I don't know if it's an American thing or in global thing, but good god it is. I want, okay, I want to I want to go back and first say that poem is this is your first book of poetry. I mean, you've been writing for a long time, but I'm just like, I can't believe that's You're just like, let me read my first poem. It's just really really beautiful and just like, who really capture? I had to take dance in school when I was little, and thank god, we moved right before I went to an all girls' school. I went to Chapin If you know Chapin from Coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: So I went there and we had dance class. I think it was on Tuesdays. Ironically it was once a week. But I moved the year before we were going to start having dances with the boys, so I really lucked out. But just the dance class in general was so awful and stressful, and like, I just hated. I hated being like anything where I have to pay attention to my body, I'm like, no, thank you. So hearing all of that and then imagining boys in the equation is like a million times worse. When did you write that poem? Because obviously it's about when you're quite young, but when when ish.
Speaker 2: I made the mistake of not dating these carefully when I wrote them, I would say it's likely probably probably in the early eighties, sometime around in there. You know, after Mike and I divorced, I had more time on my hands, not a lot, but and I was trying to work my way through understanding what I was going through and what we had been through, what I was putting him through, and some of that was a way some of the poetry writing at that point was a way of kind of come to grips with all of that. I mean, he was an amazing human It still is. And he was never anything but supportive of my work and me, and he was very much a loving human being. And I very much respect him and always will. And the whole process of that divorce was incredible difficult is obviously any breakup of any relationship is. But I think we did it well, and I think we both felt good about it relatively speaking, after the fact, and we really worked hard to stay in touch. We still do.
Speaker 1: I think that's proof that you did it well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's not easy. You know, the whole experience of getting a divorce and then trying to figure out, okay, where do I go now? You know that was right about the same time we started the council, that Mike and I had separated and moving into that work was all consuming. I mean, that's what I did twenty four to seven for you know, fifteen years straight with nothing else in the middle of it. But I shouldn't say nothing else, because that's the whole point of this interview.
Speaker 1: But and in terms of your own awareness of your sexuality or attraction, I mean, listening to that poem was a Laine like, so she's a best friend. Is she also someone who either at the time or looking back, you're like, oh, this was an early crush or like something that. No, No, so she's just a friend.
Speaker 2: No. I had one childhood friend that there was some sense of you know, connection to that was a little bit more. I wouldn't even call it sexual because we were really.
Speaker 1: No when you're young. Yeah, it's at that point, exactly exactly. Yeah, yeah, and I know that. In the I think it's on the back of your book. It talks a lot about not having the language for things that that you're feeling, which I think now we're a lot better, but there's still a lot of things that we don't have language for. And yet when you're that young, and this is what I don't think people on the right, et cetera, understand like these things aren't sexual, Like there, you're young, you don't. It's just like it's oh, it's so frustrating that the people can look at like a little boy and be like he's going to be a lady killer, and they under like that's not sexual. But then if there's the same sex like crush or anything that gets called sexual, and it's like, no, there is, there's no idea of that when you're that young, Like it's just responding honestly to.
Speaker 2: Fu Currently that's what's driving my response to this election, because you know, at some level, we really are living in the dying patriarchy. Oh yeah, and the patriarchy gets set from the time a baby is born pink, pink or blue, and you know, Bose and you know, that just gets that's it, and it's like the whole culture, for whatever crazy reasons we do it, The whole culture moves toward slotting kids into male female when in reality, and I love Audrey and rich is spectrum idea. It's really a whole sexuality spectrum, personality spectrum. Any of us can if we you know, are comfortable with ourselves, can fall anywhere in any place on lae that spectrum. And I think sometimes, I mean, I got a number of gay male friends, and they have always talked about it being much more explicitly, they being much more explicitly aware from a very young age they were gay and especially countering the work that you know, the world they were trying to move into. But you know, I think for women it's even more nuanced sometimes.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely yeah, because we're we are allowed quote unquote to show and experience emotions in a way that is like really discouraged and voys. So those lines, That's why I was asking about Elaine, because those lines between friendship love and like attraction love can get blurred sometimes, which is very confusing for many of us, and especially for folks who who are for women who are bisexual, because it's like, then what do you do with that? If you're feeling these things? But it's like, does everybody feel these things? I also feel these things for boys, like but I feel them for girls. But is it different with girls? Because it's it's like there's just so much to parse.
Speaker 2: Out in our culture.
Speaker 1: Does not make it easy, Oh god, no, it actively discourages it and tells you to be afraid of it. So that's not that's not a great setup for success. But in terms of your own kind of awareness of these feelings that would you would later understand as sexuality. But again, when you're younger, we don't have that word. It isn't even necessarily sexual. Do you do you remember like when ish it started to occur to you, was it immediately like I'm not sure what this is, but I know I need to hide it? Like what kind of I've.
Speaker 2: Never feeled I needed to hide it anything in my whole life. And you know, I attribute my mother to you know, for really helping me to get that way. The reality is I've had a big mouth, my whole life, and I've always said what I've thought. It got me in a lot of trouble when I was younger.
Speaker 1: It's called sassy.
Speaker 2: You're being You're sassying me perennial complaint about Mary Ellen. Right. But as as I after my divorce and moving into that work, I got to know a lot of really wonderful women of all varieties of sexuality. And I got for a while at least I was sort of the hope, the token heterosexual.
Speaker 1: Ah yeah, And a lot of Christmas.
Speaker 2: Parties that were most not all, but mostly lesbians, and I beloved lesbian elder now and she's older than I am. Once said to me, we used to, you know, she was the coolest person I'd ever met. She her name was Kate Stimpson. She founded Signs, which is a journal, one of the first feminist journals in the country, still going strong. And she came to Princeton when I was there as a visiting hot shot for a couple of days, and I heard her give a talk and I thought, huh, I can do that. We connected, We got to know each other. I watched her in action. She charmed the president of the university very quickly. At a party after that, and I was like, holy shit, I mean this woman was really interesting. Anyway, she lived in New York on the Bowery right, which was like the coolest place in the world back then, before that was really CD back then it was literally you know, where a lot of drunk spent most of their time. Kate had a loft in the Bowery and she was partners with an Australian woman who left her marriage in Australia and had four kids. And I didn't know that at the time that she was involved with Kate, but I figured she was a lesbian and we really you know, bonded, and she invited me to well, let me back up. I drove her into the city. She invited me up to see her loft, and I was like, oh, this is so cool. This is you know, I was living in Princeton in an ordinary apartment and here she's sophisticated you. Anyway, she at that point that I have got to introduce you to my partner, Liniz, who was running a continuing education program at Brooklyn College at the same time. So you know, anything, one thing lets you another. We got to be very close friends, and Kate ultimately went on to become the dean of the Graduates school at NYU. She was a dean at Rutgers. I mean, she really had an illustrious career. But she at one of the Christmas parties shortly after all this, after we met, she looked at me. She said, you are just such a hopeless heterosexual, maurieal Wow.
Speaker 1: She didn't you didn't ping her radar.
Speaker 2: It was so funny. And anyway, at that point I probably was. You know, I was involved in a number of relationships with men, and you know, some of them were all of the all of the guys I was with were quite interesting, and most of them were intellectuals. In most of them, you know, it was like, really do I need this? You know, no, no, no. So the bottom line was, from there I got an invitation to another mutual friend's the fiftieth birthday party at britn Mar College, where they were lovely, and so I went and that's where I met Sue. And that's perfect. They had rented the whole Graduate of State. It was it was the former few estate at britt Mark. They had rented the whole estate for Adrian's fiftieth birthday party, and uh, Sue to this day says I was the strangest person she ever met. Curly afro kind of hair, and I was wearing a purple jump suit and had a blue clip in my hair because I just washed it. And I was leaping down the hall when I first saw Adrian, and Sue was talking to her, and it was like, who is this weird person? Anyway, the birthday party was mixed, both hetero and you know, gay women and any number of other people in between. Some kids were there. A few of our friends had had babies by then. Anyway, the friend who was partners with Adrian had organized a trip in the Tetons, hiking Women's Hike in the Tetons, and Sue and I discovered that we were both signed up to go on that, and Sue rolled her eyes, thinking, Oh my god, is this really what we're going to be in for. It was we went on the hike, It was I think about a ten day hike.
Speaker 1: Wow, good god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sixty pound backpacks. We all prepped ahead of time for it, so it was the cool thing.
Speaker 1: Very lesbian coated.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't all lesbian. It was a mixed group.
Speaker 1: But lesbian planned it like ten day, sixty pound bags like that sounds like a lastbian planned.
Speaker 2: Well, the irony of it was the gal. The gal who planned it ended up because she was celebrating getting through breast cancer treatment and she wasn't quite as strong as she thought she was, so she and Adrian ended up spending that time at a dude ranch somewhere in Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, that sounds a lot more relaxed.
Speaker 2: Well, the rest of us were, you know, holding our packs up. Anyway, it was it was a transformative experience for me. I mean, I loved the hike that we were in wilderness and it was just absolutely wonderful. And turns out Sue is a terrific builder of fires WOA and which we used yesterday here when the electricity.
Speaker 1: Went, Oh my god, look at that. Wow.
Speaker 2: She made a beautiful fire and it kept us warm all day. Any of it, that was just the whole thing. She was very buttoned up, That's the most kind thing to say. I was not. We would come to a you know, stream of freezing cold water that was running over the rocks and I'd tear off my clothes and go jump in. Oh my god, and everybody she would look the other direction. But from there, you know, it just we had a wonderful time. The good news was we all laughed like crazy, We all had wonderful senses of humor, and we talked a lot about all kinds of things, you know. I remember Sue saying we were having a conversation over a campfire one night about virginity and some of us. She looked at me and she said, well, some of us have never lost it, meaning virginity, and I said, yeah, right, yeah, huh. And you know, the whole time we were there was just really very special and full of fun and we had it was just a lovely, you know time, and you know, you get into these conversations like, well, wave a magic one. What would you do with the rest of your life if you could have anything you wanted? She said, I would write a book, and I said I have an attic.
Speaker 1: Ah, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: That was that. So end of hike they take us, they bust us to. I guess it was natural springs of some kind where we could clean up, because we were really pretty filthy. And I tried to hold her hand on that bus ride, and she was having none of it. She did let me borrow her razors though to shave my legs.
Speaker 1: That's into that intimate.
Speaker 2: Anyway. That was that, and we, you know, we went back to the place we were staying before we went on the hike and slept the night, and the next day headed back and she headed to the airport, and I drove back to Jackson Hole or well Jackson Hole, but to drop her at the airport with a whole bunch of other people. And then I drove back with other friends to my friends in Denver, where Centi and Adrian and were staying. And that was that. So I thought, oh god, what am I going to do she? You know, I didn't think that I could get her contact information. I knew I could, but I just didn't feel very comfortable or hopeful.
Speaker 1: Well did you think at that point, like did you already were you already thinking like I have feelings? Like what was your not just awareness level, but like acceptance level of what you were Like, was this the first time I want to kind of place it in history for like where you were at with your own journey with this. Was this the first time you were like I have feelings for this woman that are romantic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I trusted it totally. I have feelings for this woman and I really loved liked her enormously. We resonated it on all kinds of levels. Yeh, well, we were camping. Was very funny. One night, one of the routines was we'd all sit around the campfire talking, right, and one night everybody eventually peeled off go to go back to the tents except suing me. And we sat there talking and talking and talking and talking. And She's somebody I could talk to, and that's like, that's the biggest you know, turn on in the world, buddy, that can listen to you and be interested in what you're thinking and saying, and who has interesting responses and you know, back at you like that. So it was just a whole wonderful experience. I arrived in Denver. They dropped me off at my friends in Denver who'd organized it and was back from the Dude Ranch. And she greeted me and she said, huh, who is it? Who is it? And I said what, said, Oh, come on, I know you. She said who is it? And I said, it's Sue shod Oh that's good because she just called God.
Speaker 1: This is incredible. Wow. But how you entered that trip for all intents and purposes, thinking that you were heterosexual, or like, where are have any You didn't, it didn't.
Speaker 2: Bother wasn't I hate labels? I've always hated.
Speaker 1: I love that answer. That's increable. I am someone who unfortunately I'm very Type A, and so I am kind of obsessed with self categorizing and stuff, even though I push against it. But I love that you were just like I hadn't really thought about it, because then when you're open like that, when you do realize you're having feelings for someone, you don't have to re shift your whole paradigm of what you thought you weren't blah, You just like avoid so much drama.
Speaker 2: Well you know, the labels are imposed by the exact hichy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if you think you're giving them to yourself, it's like you're under such influence that they're really being imposed upon you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that. So you didn't have to deal with it sounds like a lot of like internal struggle or torment or anything, because you were just like, oh, this is what I feel now, and oh god.
Speaker 2: That's I just felt like this was just one of the more interesting and lucky things that have ever happened in and you know, she she whatever her when we parted in Jackson Hall, she said, oh, you know, give me a call when you get home, and you know whatever, Well, let's whatever, and so you know, but it wasn't any kind of you know, promise of anything.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: So when I got home, I called her and she said, so, I'm glad you got home safely. And you know, that was an interesting trip, and YadA, YadA, YadA YadA. She said we should get together and I said, how about tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Oh god, this is perfect lessbean, timeline is just immediately. How about tomorrow? Wow?
Speaker 2: And so you know, there was and I ended up falling asleep and having hard trouble sleeping because I was so excited. I woke up early, which I have a tendency to do anyway, and got in the car early and started driving. She was living in Saratoga Springs at that point, and that was, you know, maybe a couple hours drive from Princey and I arrived maybe three hours before she thought I was going to show up.
Speaker 1: Oh god, this is so cute.
Speaker 2: And there she was vacuuming when I got there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, wow, yeah, so yeah, it sounds like you both knew kind of right away, I mean.
Speaker 2: Pretty good, yeah, pretty much. So yeah, and so that was been August of eighty seven, and by February of eighty eight she moved into Princeton with me. Oh and she had taken a leave from her job. She ultimately got a transfer to New York City, another position. She was working for State University of New York at that point, and she was able to move to a different campus, and you know, she started writing.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh god, and she's.
Speaker 2: Now a mystery writer. Get out. Yeah, she's got she is. She had when we met, the book that she mentioned she would like to write around the campfire when we were talking, she said she was doing she was very interested in Willa Cather. You know, it was an American novelist, and Kather lived with her partner of forty years in New York City. But Catherine was way you know, she couldn't possibly be a lesbian because she was too invested in her art. And Sue was interested in writing about Edith because Edith Lewis was her partner, and she had become basically written out of that whole history of Cather and Cather Land at that point, as we called it, based in Red Cloud, Nebraska, was really homophobic that there wasn't any way Cather could possibly be a lesbian. So Sue was reading the novels, and you know she's got she's a very sensitive, nuanced reader, and she was writing articles about this, and she wasn't getting anywhere with publishing them. And I finally said, look, you know you're old enough, you don't need publications at this stage. How about taking all that knowledge you've got, because she really is scholar much more than I am. She's got a lot more patience than I do. And she said, take all of that knowledge and write a mystery. And she just like what, And well, she had never even read mysteries before. I've always been a mystery lover. And that very time was the first fundraiser we ever did for the council. We partnered with Sisters in Crime, which is a coalition of women mystery writers, and we held it at St. Bart's Cathedral on Park Avenue and we had like forty women mystery writers scattered all around the uh Cathedral reading and Sue, being a good scholar, read every single one history and she thought, I can do this that's as Yeah, and she did.
Speaker 1: God, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So she's done too now and she's got a third coming out. Now, she's got a third about maybe a quarter of the way through, but.
Speaker 1: She's You're a two author household now, I mean you you always were, but now but now with more actually bears. That is absolutely incredible. And so in terms of so meeting, falling in love, then you're living together by February, did you feel you had to quote unquote come out to the people in your life at that point, because I imagine some of them were like, this is expected information if they knew you was, you know, married ten years and presumably heterosexual, Like what was?
Speaker 2: I think it surprised some people, but I had experienced no pushback, and I was very fortunate to have my father at that point had remarried. My mother died young, as you probably realized from the poem in there about that, and he remarried a lovely woman and they moved to Florida. And so before Sue moved in, I called to tell them that I had met this lovely woman and that she was going to move in with me, And that probably meant I was a lesbian too, and I love. My father's first reaction was, oh, I hope financially she's okay.
Speaker 1: Oh that's such a great dad reaction. Yeah, that's the financial situation, right.
Speaker 2: I said, don't worry, Pops, she's got her dowry. I mean she had, you know, she had her own house that she had sold before she moved to Saratoga, and you know, and anyway, I said, that's not the issue. My stepmother gets on the phone. Her response is, oh, that's interesting, dear. You haven't had much luck with men lately. That's good to try something different for her change.
Speaker 1: This isn't for late eighties. These are great reactions. I feel like, yeah, these.
Speaker 2: Are two old older Methodists. My dad started the church I grew up in, and he helped to start the church down in Florida where they were living, you know, and they were wonderfully loving and accepting. Thought. Sue was wonderful.
Speaker 1: I'm so.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm lucky in that sense that I didn't have to struggle. And you know, anybody that had a problem with it, they knew me well enough at that point not to you know, have much to say other than oh, that's interesting. Yep.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's a perfectly fine response if you've got nothing else to say. Yeah, Well, and telling your your ex husband who you were still were you still close with at that time? There was never a period, Yeah, you never were not So that's incredible. Yeah, I'm curious what was his was he like oh, or was he totally shocked or like what was his response to someone who had been married?
Speaker 2: Figure is that he he was very accepting and and support I mean he he was into his own world at that point, and he had a he has a third had a third marriage, a wonderful marriage that has lasted a long time. And uh, he's unfortunately he's in a nursing home now. He's has Parkinson's disease, so he's really in terrible shape. But she's been loyal and wonderful wife to him, and you know, he's been nothing but supportive. And he loved Sue the last time. You know, they used to talk on the phone sometimes even when if I wasn't there. You know, it was just it's the whole thing was really very good.
Speaker 1: I am so glad that was your experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I got really lucky. I got lucky because I know a lot of other friends that had very different experiences, and I mean, I just to me, the most important thing is being confident in who you are and the choices you're making. And you know, you care about other people's responses, but not enough to make that controlling factor in how you're going to live your life altely and know when to set boundaries and to cut people, you know, not to cut people off, but say no distance.
Speaker 1: Yeah I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going to go go there. You're going to have to deal with who I am, and if you don't like it, then we're not going to be friends anymore. So you know, anyway, it's just I feel very lucky that I have had the privilege to live the way I've lived and.
Speaker 1: Just living through seeing how far Queerness has come culturally, because I mean, look, we're at this incredibly divided time where it's like, on the one hand, we are more progressive than we've ever been. It's like kids today know who they are or feel free to explore who they are at such a young age, and like we have so much more representation just in media and all that. So that's the one side of things, and then the other side of things is who we reelected the other day. So it's like we are no doubt divided. But in terms of queerness, it has not only become accept did and widespread in this the safer, more progressive areas of our country, but it's even become it's become like sheep, it's become tread chic. That is the exact word. Yes, And I'm just so curious as someone who has lived through decades a very different uh uh takes on queerness. How does that how does that feel like? What is that like? Living through that evolution? Yeah, that's such a broad question.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a hard treat. It's a hard thing, is Laura. I Mean, what I would say fundamentally is that I've always been comfortable in my own socks. Yes, I've always There have been times when I've really lacked confidence, when I worry a lot about you know, how this should go or how does that go or whatever. But the bottom line is that I've always been pretty comfortable with who I am and I've never tried to be somebody that I wasn't. And that's a real gift from my parents, I think from early days as far as being a part of a community I live in, we live in a place, this small village just outside of Albuquerque, and I have long ago stopped being on boards and committees because my big mouth has always gotten me in trouble and I say things I regret. And one of the things I've always been able to do well is email. So I've always been an inveterate collector of contact information. I had a big Rolodex when i was running the council, and I've now got a large list of contacts in my Apple Contacts. And I started years ago on our street doing an email list of the everybody that lived on our street, just the neighbors, and so that's what started it, and then I expanded that. So I've now got quite a few emails of other neighbors and residents of our little village and elsewhere throughout the state. But you know, some people call me the town crier, oh of Correlousy, And you know, I feel that's a real honor because it's the one thing I'm good at. People are always asking me to share information, so it's a way of helping to bind a community together. And I think over the years i've seen our little village, we thought, oh, when we first moved here, we had a party that we thought would be just for a few lesbians, and we ended up with like eighty from our little village. I mean, who knew. God, incredible new and you know, it's a very welcoming community. And you know, we live on a street where there are or at least two or three different lesbian couples.
Speaker 1: God, that'sable.
Speaker 2: Some gay the wonderful gay friends were up the up the road a little bit. And you know, we're very lucky. And we have a wonderful other straight neighbors. I mean the neighbor who loaned me my earphones for this.
Speaker 1: For this.
Speaker 2: You know, Uh, they're real, real, wonderful neighbors and we have It's just been an incredible, incredible sense of landing in the right place at the right time when we moved here. Yeah, and very accepting.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, in a way if you are so, it's so obvious, like you say, you've always been comfortable in your own skin or your own socks. That is obvious from minute, from just a few minutes of speaking to you. I I got that impression, do you. I mean, is it kind of like the country as catching up to you in terms of like as someone who's always been accepting, and not just of yourself but of others like.
Speaker 2: I don't know either. I mean, what I have struggled to understand is how we end up in a world moving forward when we really need each other. We all need to be together as much as we can be, and somehow building community helps that. And at least personally, that's the one thing I know how to do, and I can. I do it because I feel I'm a good Methodist, even though I'm a lapsed Methodist. You know, you have a responsibility to help make things better than being responsible. So that's at least part of the motivation I realized is that a few years ago that's what I do. I also realized with the poetry, it's very interesting. It's just hit me last week one of there, somebody mentioned that, you know, I've got I must have a real toolbox of stuff from my training in poetry, and I said, clueless about you know, iamic, pentameter and scams and all of that. It's never it's always again, it's labels, it's form. It's stuff that I've always found, you know, boring and two constraining straight jackets, but I have a good ear, and the ear comes from Methodist jims. Wow, I grew up in a church that I loved to sing, and I have, you know the factor a few times here even we've had hymn sing. I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I love just and I realize and thinking about it, that some of the rhythm and the rhyme and just the whole sense of the beauty of language comes from that early exposure to a lot of beautiful language. Really, absolutely, it's a very interesting insight to have.
Speaker 1: I love that. I have always said similarly, I love Eminem the rapper Eminem because I am a huge Stephen Sondheim fan and was raised on Sondheim. And so when I first heard Eminem, I was like, this is like Sondheim, but way more angry and was swearing. But it was that same idea of like growing up on like patter songs and stuff that then when I grew up and heard rap, I was like, Oh, that's kind of what It's like, very funny. How yeah, how those things can kind of translate? Do now, I know you want to read some more poems. We can also sort of we're already kind of doing it, but move into talking about I don't know, just kind of processing what we're feeling about this this current moment. But yeah, I want to leave it open if you if you want to read something else, let me read.
Speaker 2: A poem that I wrote about suit, which I think, oh god, I would love that. It's a short poem. It's very short, I would love.
Speaker 1: Do you know do you remember when ISSUE wrote this?
Speaker 2: Probably you know, nineteen eighty eight, seven, eight eighty oh, so shortly.
Speaker 1: After a yeah, and I should mention this poetry book spans fifty years. Yeah, it's nineteen seventy three to twenty twenty. That is incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a slim book, I might add, because I was very fussy in what I picked from.
Speaker 1: My Well, you also had a lot going on in those fifty years.
Speaker 2: Anyway. This is called Susie plunged again into loving. I worry about your cough, that word on your thumb, your cigarettes and bed zinuses you shimmer in the early morning light and ruffle my feathers. My heart's in my throat. Even a weeze threatens. I fear losing the sheer joy of you. Panic. This is the way I imagined i'd feel gazing at the crib of the baby never born, A fierce protection for the fragileness, the miraculous energy of such life force. It's the same helpless, longing limbed those summers I sang ed asleep on his narrow boy's bed for the moment, cool and curled, and his growing aching legs. Ah, disloving the wonder of it all, all my senses jangling, blurred with memories of those who mattered most and shaped the part of me. I trust the least. You're a trip. I fooled you into loving me.
Speaker 1: Oh God, God is beautiful. That last line that I fooled you into lovery is so relatable, just that feeling where it's like, how the hell did.
Speaker 2: I did I pull that off?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Okay. Those are the last one asylums and very much a pertinent to what's happening. Yeah today, it's the last poem in the book. The Maya of the Yucatan invented writing calendars in a number system that counted in the millions, made tools in poetry, sang songs, built ball courts, pyramids, and temples, created public plazas with monumental columns that told their history. Third century AD, the Aztec in the Valley of Mexico built warrior statues to guard their temples. They too made calendars, one like ours, the other sacred, with symbols marking sounds or words. They left books with rich depictions of their daily lives, their legends, their beliefs. Thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, the Inca in Peru built an empire sixteen million people in fourteen hundreds AD. They used knots and chords for numbers, intricate skill recording myths and history. These kipus language of animals, strung textured chords commanding ninety five syllables of color, touch and direction. Let that sink in touch. As well as site makers, readers had to know the different feel of vaikuna alpaca, Others that lent their coats to different chords of meaning. Syllabic systems like our own marks that set our speech count syllables in a similar range. But the Inca used touch, touch, ninety five locks of color, touch and direction. I wake up thinking about this. These are ancestors Americans, people of Central and South America's descendants seek asylum in our borders. Instead of safety, we aim tear gas, separate children from parents, call them alien criminal. These noble people who had their history stolen, seeking refuse from their country's wars, are people started some seekers, blood mixed for centuries with their conquerors. Are likely people of the touch, who used intricate knots and textured cores to share their daily lives and myths. People who understood the language of animals. I ache to welcome them. Three dimensions, starting at our fingertips, I touch your cheek, imagining a different world. And that kind of sums up my politics. Oh and I have no idea how we're going to make it through the next four years, but we got it and we've got to be activists as much as we can do. Yeah, because it's going to be a rough ride. Fast in your Seatkils.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think what you were speaking to in terms of community and you being someone who it sounds like is just a natural connector of people that is really going to be what we need to rely on. The difference I'm feeling now as opposed to twenty sixteen is that people are exhausted, They're burned out, so there's not the same fervor or enthusiasm for I mean, I remember by this time last year, not last year. I'm sorry, by this time in twenty sixteen. You know, that Thursday night I had already gone to a meeting at somebody's house where we were trying to raise money for a guy who was a dreamer DACA. That Saturday, I went to a march in LA like later I went to die and Feinstein's office that were just like all these things, and now it's just kind of everyone is like so tired, and I think that the community building on a local level, like like you're saying in your neighborhood, It's like it's feeling to me, a person who has no background in politics and doesn't know what she's talking about, it's feeling to me less like women's march in DC, like everybody like this is a and more like smaller pockets of your local community band together support each other. It's feeling more subdued and small and local than it is like these grandiose I don't know. That's my initial impression on just how it's feeling different from when he was elected in twenty sixteen. And honestly, I think a reason for that is the popular vote situation. I think it's like in twenty sixteen, we felt this is not what the majority of us wanted. So we are united as a country. We're going to have these big you know, the women's march, Like every city did a women's march, Like LA did its own women's march. Obviously the big one was in DC, but every city was doing it because we were like, there's more of us than them. Most of us didn't want this, And now it's feeling like a lot more disheartening. Not to be a bummer, you know, I'm a realist, it is feeling more like, oh, this is what most people wanted, So to me personally, it's feeling more find your people locally banned with them, know your neighbors, like you're saying your local LGBT centers, grassroots organizations. I don't know, that's my instinct, just musing on it the past forty eight hours or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I mean, you live, you live in a state that has a governor that just yesterday said that he's going to keep California as a fortress against Trump.
Speaker 1: I live in a state very lucky.
Speaker 2: I live in a state what the governors do, hopefully we'll do the same thing we elected in our little village, our first DACA state senator, just and the work has got to be in the states, and we've got to build in the states where we can. I do not believe, for one New York second that the popular vote describes what this nation really is about, because there has been so many, so many lies, so much, so much, so much misinformation, disinformation, you name it. People you know, if they have been the people from what I've seen, and I haven't studied it by any means, but the people who voted for Trump, or white women from the suburbs who have a lot to lose if the patriarchy collapses because they've been a bit from it, and a lot of blue collar mostly men, some women, but mostly white, not all, a lot of Latinas. I don't know how to compute all of that, but the bottom line for me is that they were fed a whole lot of shit from Fox News, from Twitter. I mean, Twitter is a joke, you know. Elon Musk deleted it all mentions to Harris on Twitter on x ye. I mean, there's been already censorship that has made it very difficult to kind of get traction. And yes, you know, there's a lot of so much misinformation out there. I don't for a minute believe that this is really what this country's about. And that's what I was trying to write about when that thing I sent you, was just trying to understand it and the work. Somehow we got to figure out how to keep our energy up. Yes, you know, I had gone through all kinds of stages since Tuesday, and I've finally resolved I'm not going to let that son of a bitch, you know, steal my joy. It's not going to happen, you know. Yeah, And I mean we two days ago, I was ready to move to Canada and Mexico or Ireland. I mean I could move back to Ireland and get an Irish passport because my grandmother, you know that emigrated from Northern Ireland, so I'm still eligible for a passport. And I just had you know, no, I had a long hall with a gal who taught me how to lobby here, who's now living in Port Washington Port Towns in Washington State, and you know, she said, no way, you are embedded in your community this is where you belong. Yeah, and you know, we'll figure out how to make it work. And I think that's it. It is in community, and that's the only way we're ever going to get this done. And you know, Martin Luther King said it years and years ago. The arc of justice, you know, is long. But what is it the arc I'm going to gobble the quote now, but the arc of history ultimately it moves toward justice, yes, and it does. And you know, we will eventually figure this out. It's not going to be easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, what you're saying about keeping the energy up is is essential? Like that is what I'm feeling now, is like just like I said, the sheer exhaustion that people are feeling is it is exhausting. Tough, Yeah, exhausting, It's tough. Yeah.
Speaker 2: How you take care of yourself, you know, yes, and the people you love in the midst of all of that, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I do think that's essential. And I not to be cheesy or like speaking platitudes, but the idea of like filling your cup, I think is so important. And I and it's not just I think that sometimes or I've heard activists say sometimes it's like feeling like, well, when these atrocities are going on, like how can we have you know, a dance party or like a movie night or something like when these things are going on, and it's like those things are not just they're not disregarding what is happening, but like you need to build some joy in your life to be able to do good work. It's the old thing where you're on the plane and you have to put the oxygen mask on you before you put it on your child. That's the great instinct is going to be to put it on your child immediately you are you can serve them better. If you, an adult who requires more oxygen, gets that mask on you first, then you can serve them betterment and yeah, I think we have to really be mindful of sustainability in terms of our own abilities to fight this exhaustion and burnout and me personally, sense of humor is a huge part of that. I think there needs to be some levity and some humor because that is I think a huge contributing factor to how you keep going in these in these times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, the other piece that has really gotten to be apparent to me is that it's very essential to kind of take a look around and see, Okay, can I fix this? If so, how and here's what I'm going to do if I can't let it go.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And that's especially for me. It's been a very hard lesson to learn because I want to fix everything right.
Speaker 1: Yes, I got that quality too. Yeah, I hear that.
Speaker 2: I hear that. And Sue and I have gotten to the point where we say to each other, Okay, why are you telling me this? Do you want me to fix it? Or do you want me to just listen?
Speaker 1: That's what Oh my god. My ex girlfriend would who we're still very close friends. She would always say that to me because I would she'd be, you know, telling me this thing about her day, and I'd go into that mode where I'm like, well have you tried, and she'd be like, Lauren, I'm I just want you to listen, Like, don't solve it, just listen to her?
Speaker 2: Exactly right, And that's an important lesson to learn, and it'll startless I'm not sure we ever really learn it if you trying to fix things and feel that responsibility. But that's also one way to burn out very quickly.
Speaker 1: Exactly. This is the sustainability thing I'm talking about. Yeah, you're so smart. It's you have to the first step has to be identifying can I fix this? Can I not fix this? If I can't fix this, let me not spend the limited reserves of energy I have running into a wall on it. That's just not productive. And it is hard to fight that instinct. We want to run into the biggest wall. It's the biggest wall. You don't want to run into a smaller wall. That's less impressive. Right, But yeah, this is good to hear. Yeah, I need to be reminded of this because yeah, I really am. And you know, we're all also eight years older than we were in twenty sixteen. But I just keep thinking, like God, all the stuff I was doing in twenty sixteen, Like I don't feel that. I don't feel like I have that in me anymore. And so it's like, Okay, what do I have in me?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: How can I then? What do I do?
Speaker 2: Like that's the inventory that you do. Yeah, that's essential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, that's smart.
Speaker 2: I do think before I justly this whole idea. The other piece of this for me has been to understand more about our history. I have gotten to be good friends with Native Americans artists here. I've known black people all my life who have helped me understand their history a lot better. Out here in New Mexico, there's a lot of Hispanic culture. Same thing. We need to listen to people who are not white. If you're white, especially listen to people who are not white to what their elders told them, because the reality is this country has always been filled with greed, land grabs, racism.
Speaker 1: Built on it literally, you.
Speaker 2: Know, misogyny, xenophobia, homophobia, you name it. The history of this country is not pretty and it's been whitewashed. At least it was for me.
Speaker 1: Oh it was for me too, Yeah, absolutely, in high school learning totally even just the Civil War, right, like this was about economics. I fully was taught that, right what.
Speaker 2: I have learned so much from my friend. Actually, she's the one who told me about those kipoos. She sent me an article about it. The uh, she's Native American, grew up on a very complicated history, but from an ultimately a reservation in Montana and where she was born. That the reality is, you know her understanding of her history, and she shows in her art. She she's just she's got a very different awareness of her of our quote unquote American history. Yes, and I have learned so much from her and respect what she's trying to do. Her name is Jean quick to See Smith. She had an exhibit at the Whitney with Retrospective last year and it was wonderful. I mean, she's really an impressive artist. She finally is hitting her getting the recognition she's deserved. I think that the point I'm making is how important it is to understand that history of our nation. We are not We should not be in mourning for where our country went, because our country has always been problematic, to say the least. But the work is in the States, in our communities and in the States, and we all need to pitch in and keep at it. We can't afford to be depressed. I can honor the feelings of despair, just believe fears, you know, thinking oh, we should just get out of here because it's not safe. I mean, you know, especially for gays and lesbians. Are we safe? Are we safe on our street? But the fear is real, you know, And we got to not focus on the fear. We got to focus on what we can do. To prevent it, and the way to prevent it at least. The one thing that makes sense to me is, you know, work on our states. Make sure the states are strong, like New Mexico and California and you know the other blue states that can build barriers against some of this terror that's coming. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's really smart. I think like if you don't already know about you know, your low local orgs, like yeah, everybody knows, like hrc ACLU, like we all know those. We're talking now about your smaller ones, your local ones. Where are they in your city? Like, get to know? Those are the ones that I think you put your your efforts towards at the moment. I think the whole thing globally act locally has never been more kind of important than currently.
Speaker 2: And you can you can accomplish a lot exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Most important to me here is that we don't get discouraged and we find whatever joy and comfort we can in ourselves and in our family and our friends, our neighbors, and we you know, do what we can to make change and keep these country safe. And what's going to be a real onslaught of scary stuff for a long time. I don't have any idea how to do that beyond organizing. I mean, I know what we've done in the past, and New Mexico was not always a totally blue state. We've had so you know, we had some really good people helping to make that happen. But I learned a lobby so we could pass you know, human rights amendment in the state in the early two thousands. And I was good at it. I never knew I could, but somebody taught me how to do it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But and you know, it discovered I have a lot of talent because I could cry in a drop of a hat.
Speaker 1: That is a talent.
Speaker 2: They used to call me narrow weep up in the least I could. I could. I was a good lobbyist because I could make everybody very uncomfortable if they started pulling too much shit.
Speaker 1: God, yes, that is such a skill. Yeah, and that really is underrated talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah right. And the bottom line is, you know, we passed marriage equality here in twenty thirteen, long before you know it became a national mandate. You know, we need to do what we know how to do. The other thing I knew how to do back then at least was organized, and I was on the board of Coalition for Equality for New Mexico, which was founded in nineteen ninety three, and by two thousand and three it was clear we needed to merge the C three with the C four in the pack because we were all working at cross purposes and everybody was, you know, really understood and worked okay with each other, but there was tension. And you know, I was just serraphy enough to be able to kind of help pull and I didn't do it by myself by any stretch, but I was able to work with some people who could help pull that together, and we did, and we now have Equality New Mexico, which was is a functioning, healthy organization, and you know, that's the kind of work we need to do, and they have been remarkably important. They partnered with ACLU back in twenty ten, twenty eleven, twenty twelve to try to get marriage equality here and it was Equality to Mexico and ACLU New Mexico that pulled that off. And you know the point being that you decide what you do know how to do, and then you figure out what you can do and do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, I love everything you just said, I knowing what your particular skill set is I think is really important. It also, again we keep saying, it prevents burnout and it increases sustainability because if you are someone who hates doing the calls where that's like call your senator and it's like, oh, I have to do this, but I hate it so much, You're gonna burn out on that quickly. Find the reason why I facilitate. The reason why I facilitate groups for the Center is because shocker, I love to talk. I love to listen to people and I love to talk. So that is something that I do that It not to be cheesy again, but it fills my cup to facilitate these groups and I see a direct result of how I'm helping people because I can make them laugh and for these two hours on Zoom, I make them feel a little better and we all end the night feeling better. And that's why I've been able to do that every Monday night for the past what is it now, like six years or something like that. But I pick that because that, again, that is sustainable for me because I like it, like I get something out of it too. It's almost like stand up comedy for me, So find the thing that rather than you're dreading doing it. And if you are someone who hates crowds, marches are not for you, like that's not gonna make you feel good. So find the thing that feeds you that also does good. Like we can all fit in to these to these different we can all serve different areas of need, and I think finding what works for you, like those who've listened to this podcast for a really long time, No, that Nicole and I have very differentes. Nicole's my former co host. We have very different skill sets, and so she will, you know, be more comfortable doing these sort of like town hall type things, and I'm like, just put me on zoom with a bunch of people who want to like laugh and feel better. Like that's what I do versus what she does, And those are both valid. And I think finding the thing like you're saying that that you're good at, I think that's key to keeping our energy it is. Yeah, yeah, is there anything else before we sort of wrap up? No, I really I think we red. This is a long one too. We Yeah, we ran again. I'm so so grateful to you really just having a conversation like this again just seventy two or forty eight whatever hours it is post election. I'm really grateful that you were down to do that, and your own story is just so uplifting and tender and beautiful, and I just thank you so much. This is this is what I feel like, this is needed right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate it. I enjoy talking to you, and I think what you're doing is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Well, that's an I did this podcast for the same reason. I'm like, oh, I like talking. I like hearing people's stories. So that's how I feel like I can help, is like we create a podcast of people sharing their stories.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and that's one of the better ways. I mean, that's one of the things they found out. The National group Freedom to Marry lot of good legwork to get marriage equality here in the country, and one of the things they discovered early on was that what makes the most difference in changing people's minds about marriage equality is personal stories. It is getting people to talk about their lives and their loves and how they met and how they connected and why that's important. And it makes us more relatable to people who are intimidated or you know, don't understand what to say to you know, there at least some of our neighbors when we first moved in, I knew were really kind. They left us gifts and welcome presence when we built our own home here, and you know, another neighbor left you Potter left the series four Cups on our front stoop. It's just really very welcoming. But they didn't quite know how to talk to us. And I think we were afraid some of them. We're just afraid of saying the wrong thing or not using the right language or whatever. Yeah, you know, so there was awkwardness and a lot of that is stuff we can make easier for people just by being who we are and laughing a lot, and yes, welcoming questions and you know, ask me anything you want, well within reason, but you know, ask me what you want. And I think it's made a huge difference. And we you know, it helps, but it takes a while. It's not overnight, it's not something you can do, you know immediately, it's just got to you're in there for the long haul. Yeah, And that's how I feel about everything else right now. With the politics. Absolutely agree, but we cannot get discouraged. We cannot. We have got to keep this vision in our heads of the world we want to live in.
Speaker 1: Oh really, well said yes, and I'll say it again for the billions of times this episode. That is why it is equally important to put the oxygen mask on yourself first and to make sure that you are creating an environment within you as a person that can continue to do good work. Don't burn yourself out, because then you are you are not useful to the revolution, or however you want to phrase it, if you are too spent or too angry to do anything. There's so much anger right now. I've talked about anger so much on this podcast as someone who has struggled with it and who is on anxiety mass for it. But yeah, anger is not it's not it's not a bad thing. But let's not let that Let's let that anger fuel us as opposed to drain us. And that's why to me, comedy and humor is so important to mitigate that that rage. Yeah, but Mary Ellen, where can people I know they can purchase the book everywhere, but if you want to, yeah, if there's a specific pick place, or if there's a way they can keep up with you and follow you. I don't know. If you do any social media or have a website or any anything like that.
Speaker 2: I'm on Facebook, okay, yeah, and everything I post is public, so to find me, Okay. I have a website, Mary ellenkpic dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, and.
Speaker 2: You know that's that's it's about it. I'm easily reachable.
Speaker 1: Oh good, good, Thank you for being. Yeah, thank you for being.
Speaker 2: And I enjoyed this a lot talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, y'all, that's what that's what we've got for you today. Again, sending a lot of love and compassion and strength. Take care of yourselves, fine, joy, read beautiful poetry. I watched Bottoms on Amazon Prime the other day. That fills me with joy for anyone who hasn't seen Very Queer, a funny movie. But yeah, very allah, thank you so so much. You all know where to find me. I'm at Lauren Flans on Twitter and blue Sky, which I think people are migrating to. God. I would love Twitter to go away. I'm too addicted to have the self discipline to get off it, but I hope it just crashes and burns so that that's the only way I'll be off that site. But blue Sky find me on blue Sky. Lauren Underscore Flans on Instagram. The podcast is at Coming Out pod everywhere. Yeah, you can give a rating iTunes, Spotify. I want to click five stars. Maybe that fills your cup. I don't know your life. Thank you all so much for listening. Thank you again, Mary Ellen. Everybody hang in there and I will talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Five