Speaker 1: This What's on Tap Radio podcast is brought to you by Cast Branding. For well over a decade, Cast Branding has been supplying breweries, distillers, and wineries with a top quality merchandise. If you're looking for a way to promote and grow your brand, check out Cast Branding on Facebook, Instagram and online at cast Branding dot Com. Cast Branding dot Com. And oh yeah, I forgot to mention they are a member of the Texas Craft Brewers Guild. That's Cast Branding dot Com. Now enjoy the show.
Speaker 2: This is about to be good radio. To me, a craft brewer is much more of a mindset. We just opened cans, spread the gospel of good beer. Beer.
Speaker 1: Tons and tons of stuff going on in the beer world.
Speaker 2: I love craft beer. I love different people's beers.
Speaker 1: It's the first favorite.
Speaker 2: Cheers two old US beer geeks and those new to the craft.
Speaker 1: What's on Tap High five?
Speaker 2: This is What's on Tap Radio beer and the culture that those with it. Here's beer Guru James Simpson and beer logics Chad Pilbeam.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome on What's on Tab Radio, Season eleven, Episode two.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no, no, don't you start that crap. Now, you know, eleven years we haven't done that, and it does not start today.
Speaker 1: This is What's on Tab Radio podcast. Thanks for tuning in. I am Dom Samson, joined by mister Beer Logic, Chap Pillbee and sitting on third mic like Bill, Hello, everyone, eleven years this podcast has been.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna kill you.
Speaker 5: It's like a podcast.
Speaker 1: It's like a podcast. You know how I know that Bill? He says it right there in my glass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all have one.
Speaker 1: Hey it continues.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, cha first time listening.
Speaker 3: They're like maybe this is their first time and they're just trying to say it.
Speaker 1: No, I don't cover up for it. Tell me.
Speaker 4: And they've been on the air eleven years.
Speaker 1: Oh this is He's an eleven episode two, stop it, stop it now.
Speaker 3: Anyways, it's a journalism thing and we'll fill you in here on the inside joking a minute after we pour beer in our glasses and welcome you to this fine program.
Speaker 1: What's on Tap Radio. That's what it's called on the radio airways for over eleven years, so it's a yeah, it is a kind of a a joke. We'll fill you in as we go on. Speaking of filling in, I gotta fill in this what's on tap radio glass with some beer, but not before we think are wonderful advertisers, the ones that keep us on the radio each and every week. Thank to you. Are friends over at Superior Pest Control, which I'm looking at one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight nine ten stories on this one sheet. They sponsor our research department. We got beer logic conference events, Renaldson Ake and Insurance Group. The backyard Girl keeping the lights nice and bright, nice and cozy my studio. I hate winter. Can I tell you that I hate winter?
Speaker 3: But it's nice and go living Texas shut off.
Speaker 1: I mean, dude, it is like sixty five degrees outside. I got my turtleneck on and my scars. But thank you Harbor Light Brewing for keeping my studio nice and cozy and against sponsoring podcasts which is available everywhere. And you heard that podcast right, Season eleven, episode two, thanks to our friends of Cast Branding.
Speaker 3: Here, I'm gonna give you an idea what why you should never complain about winter in Texas?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right?
Speaker 3: Coming up this week, the temperature forecasted to be one number one, it's supposed to be nine, So that's one number. That's a single digit. That's that's actually lower than the number of years we've been on air.
Speaker 1: So I'm broadcasting the studios on the west side of town in Houston, Texas. Chad and Bill are out in the Mitten state of Michigan, where it is forecasting to be one degree winter is coming nine nine. Okay. Here, I am complaining it's gonna get like in the thirties here.
Speaker 4: So you know it's so cold here right now.
Speaker 1: Really, we're not gonna sit here. We're not gonna sit here in bitch and complain about winter. We're actually stop.
Speaker 4: Giving the weather report and let's start drinking some beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks to our friends over the backyard, girl sponsoring it, brought to the table where I'm gonna bring a beer. Chad, it's gonna bring some beer. Bill, it's gonna bring some beer. And we're just gonna have some beer. And I hope that whatever you can do. Maybe you're just hanging out in the garage, maybe trying to keep warm. I don't know what you're trying to do, but maybe you can have a beer with us responsibly. Okay, So who's gonna go first? This week is gonna be you.
Speaker 3: Bill, We're going first, because if we have anybody listening for the first time, I don't want to lose them and think that this is the all non alcoholic beer drinking show.
Speaker 1: It is dry January, all right, you're doing.
Speaker 3: Dry January and you're drinking hot water. Meanwhile, Bill and I, we're gonna drink some beer here. And I want to thank our friends at Superior Pest Control of West Michigan for hooking us up with this one. James, I have in my hands something we haven't seen. It's like it's like a lost treasure from the beer world. Remember those big boxes of Firestone Walker beer with a big twenty two ounce bomber bottles in them, the limited release that would come.
Speaker 1: Out, Yeah, like in two thousand maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it started about back then and yeah, and it ran yeah, and then all of a sudden everybody went to the smaller bottle format.
Speaker 4: Well, this is one of the old ones.
Speaker 3: This is a twenty sixteen velvet murkin from Firestone Walker. This is a bourbon barrel age oatmeal stout. I want to thank Fred Over at Superior Pest Control West Michigan for hooking us up not only in the research department, but also with some tasty beverages. Now, the thing I found most fascinating about this, besides the fact that we get to taste this from twenty sixteen and find out whether or not it's got any legs, is that it's a wopping This is a bourbon barrel age oatmeal stout. It comes in at a wopping eight point five percent. I mean, I'm thinking to myself, that's it.
Speaker 1: Wait, really, I thought that was thirteen easy.
Speaker 4: No, it's only eight point five.
Speaker 3: So I've been looking at this and so I'm thinking, I'm thinking to myself, maybe this one's not gonna hold up as well, because a lot of the big more alcoholic versions, the boozier the better they hold up.
Speaker 5: That held up nice.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do you got there? Harbor Light bill On Mike here the guy who says, you know, we say craft brewing. It's much more of a mindset. There's a guy who brews beer for a living. What do you think?
Speaker 5: I think? I like it a lot, great oatmeal flavor, nice creamy head. You can taste the bourbon barrel aging on. It seems like I held up real well. But you don't get.
Speaker 4: That boozy No, it's great.
Speaker 3: It's smooth, creamy, and tastes a little oxidized, but not much at all oxidize, gives it kind of that cardboard cardboard aspect. But we'll talk more about this because I know James is just dying to not get his buzz on.
Speaker 2: Dry January.
Speaker 1: I do Dry January just because I want to introduce inn a beer's because it's a style that's not going anywhere anytime soon, even.
Speaker 4: Though the next bubble to burst that thinks.
Speaker 1: That it's going to be the next bubble to burst. But I'm gonna bring in an a beer all January just to give love to some of the n A beer because you believe it or not, there are actually some really really good ones out there, including the one that I'll bring into the table from Sierra Nevada, the Trail pass Ipa. Now this one I've had before, and it's been since last January since I've had it. So I pour this in my What's on Tap radio like a podcast last a couple of minutes over our friends over at Harbor Light Brewing, and I'm gonna go ahead and get that out of poor nice little head. Retention, what was the ABV on that again. Oh, zero point five zero point five thanks for rasping, Chad, So I'll give you that nice swirl, nice aromas, very happy. M hmm. I'm telling you a blind taste test, you would not know this is an a beer. I'm putting that out there, Sierra Nevada Trail pass Ipa at point five percent alcohol by Folume zero point five percent, zero point five percent. And I'm gonna talk a little bit about this after the break. But chatting Miller kicked it.
Speaker 3: Off with the Firestone Walker twenty sixteen velvet Mrkin out of the beer seller from Superior Pest Control, West Michigan, an eight point five percent bourbon barrel aged oatmeal stout which held up nice.
Speaker 1: And it's a tract that by eight. And you got the beer that I brought to the table, d Sierra Nevada Trail pass Ipa. And that's brought the table. Thanks for our friend's over at the backyard grill. All right, we're gonna take our first break coming up. We've got a lot of stuff on tap this week, including bud. If the elf showed up to a hockey game not looking so good, we're gonna figure out what happened there, and Natty Light's got a double side fridge for you and your neighbor. We'll talk about that. All This is so much more, including coming up the official What's on Tap Real Fun Factor of the week. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: This is What's on Tap Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, everybody's got a beer. You got a beer, I got a beer. We got a beer. You know who else has beer? The Backyard Grill on the northwest side of Houston. But when you're drinking, you want to have something to eat too, So go get yourself some grub at the byg.
Speaker 4: The menu is amazing.
Speaker 3: They've got all your Texas favorites like steaks, baheitas, chops, and it's all grilled on a wood fired grill. Got burgers, you got wraps. Hey, if you're vegetarian, they got salads, they got soops, homemade dishes, and specialties like smoky the beer chicken. Oh yeah, smoked chicken injected with local beer. Sounds delicious, right yeah, and don't forget the green beans. I know you're thinking, wait a minute, is this guy just talking about all the grilled stuff and you're gonna tell me to eat your veggies? Hey? Mom, said, eat your veggies, over one hundred different menu items, get the green beans, trust me, you won't regret it, and over one hundred different beers head out to the backyard Grill in the corner weston Jones Road on the northwest side of Houston.
Speaker 2: Cheers.
Speaker 1: Big shoutouts to Superior Pest Control Flooding our inbox. Lots of great stories on tap this week, including this story at dogfish Head. What's the teas on there? Chad?
Speaker 3: You know you're taking into Dry January plunge their pal dogfish Head. They want you to give up dry January for thirty minutes, and we'll tell you what that's all about.
Speaker 1: Not only do they want you to quit dry January, they also want you to quit your resolutions. By the way, that's that's a good question. How's your resolutions going along right now? Have you quit? What else you got going on?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I feel bad for people who quit or if I just want to embrace them and like, eh, we all knew it was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, they's subcommercial.
Speaker 5: They have a specific date on average when people quit and they call it like quitters Friday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have National's Quitter's Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the second Friday of January.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exact right, that's the thing. That's the thing. But I did not quit. I did not quit dry January. I'm still what are we in? Like two three two weeks? Three weeks into January and here I am still with the Sierra Nevada trail pass. I p a at zero point five percent. And uh, let me go ahead and give you a little tasting notes. Now, this this glass, that what's on tap radio. It's like a podcast glass. By the way, we come to season eleven, episode two. Uh really eight you really brings out the aromas. Bill really brings out the aromas. It's got a nice wide mouth on it. I love this glass. Love this glass, guys, still.
Speaker 5: Second best glass next to the Sam Adams Boston.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna disagree with you on that. I'm gonna I'm gonna put this glass over the same same Lambs glass.
Speaker 3: That's at James in the radio fight. Man, you go ahead, but I'm gonna tell you right now, listen, this this particular glass is fantastic. But when you're drinking out of the Sam Adams Boston Logger glass, let's just be honest. Okay, if you are on your way to getting the divorce, you guys make up. If you're both drinking out of that glass. Results may vary, but not really, because it does. It heals marriages.
Speaker 4: I mean it does that.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you got a kid who's acting up, pour a beer into a sam Adam's Boston Logger glass, take a sip. All of a sudden, the kids like, Dad, I'm sorry, I'll behave mom. Hey, listen, I'll go clean up my room now, and then after that, I'm gonna go to bed, and yeah, I'll read a book.
Speaker 4: And then I'll get my homework done tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This beer is really happy, really happy the trail pass Ipa and I'm guessing off the nose Amrella Hops, Amilla Hops. I mean it screams throughout the beer, very citrusy pine notes. That's why I'm guessing it's from the ambrella and I am some of the varieties I can't get off the top of my nose or my tongue. But let me go and take another suit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get a sip of that. What is that? I'm gonna tell you how James knows this Here in a second.
Speaker 1: About thirty five IBus and about ninety five calories I can tell for this glass.
Speaker 3: See, when James was born, his mom swaddled him in hop vines and that's how he just gives cuddled up in a crib. And some people get a little blanky and a little stuffed bear.
Speaker 4: Not James. He was given a pint glass.
Speaker 3: Now it was empty pint glass, or I had non alcoholic beer in it, because you know dry, you know infancy, But they swaddled him in hop vines.
Speaker 1: Cascade, that's what I couldn't. It's cascade, That's what it is. It's Cascade Amarello Cascade. And I want to say there's some Bravo in there too.
Speaker 3: James is having flashbacks of his infancy. This is it, you know. It's kind of like his mother singing to him in the womb, and it's probably some beer poka and you know, and he just next thing, you know, he's like, I think I want to work in the beer industry and I want to do a radio show.
Speaker 1: It all came together, didn't it. Here we are, Here we are, Season eleven, episode two of What's on Tap Radio podcast.
Speaker 3: We never do this, Okay, if you're wondering what The joke is we never say how many episodes.
Speaker 1: I was told. I was told in the very beginning of What's on Tap Radio never to do that because we are superior to podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh boys, that was somebody in the radio industry telling you that that happened.
Speaker 1: We had a meeting because podcasts were coming up at that point, and you know, we radio folks wanted to let the podcaster know that we are the ones. We are the Ivy League. It's true to your community college and fast forward. Oh boys, things are changing here we are. Season eleven, Episode two was on Tabriel Podcast. Anyway, We're not beat them, you join them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Well, hey, I got to quickly recap here on this velvet Merkin that's has warmed up really nice twenty sixteen. I mean it's it's got some age on it. And this one here, I have to say for an eight point five percent beer held up beautifully. I really enjoy soft on the palette. The flavors kind of came together. They've kind of melded together, if you will. There's nothing really pronounced on it. It's just a really enjoyable beer. In fact, if you didn't tell me it was eight point five percent. I would think it was much lower.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's smooth, it's it is, it is. But all right, that's what we kick things off with. Again. Thank you Superior Pest Control of West Michigan for hooking us up, and thank you Backyard Grill out there on the west side of Houston for bringing us brought to the table.
Speaker 4: But now, James, it's time to educate some people.
Speaker 2: Now the official What's on Tap Radio Fun Fact of the Week, brought to you by Who's ever checked Clear?
Speaker 1: This week, let's be honest analytics show. This is why people are tuning in.
Speaker 3: Speaking of analytics, you said our last quarter was amazing. I know.
Speaker 4: Thank you for sharing and following.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we had a really good Q four. So thank you guys for out there sharing, promoting, listening, whatever you guys are doing to help grow the show. I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 3: All Right, this is your official What's on Tap Radio Fun Fact of the week and uh this week here, well, I want to I want to. I want to give a pay tribute to a holiday movie because we just got through the holiday season and the greatest Poka singer of all time, Gus Polinski and the Kenosha Kickers.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, gotta yep, you know.
Speaker 3: Them, right, Poka Pok Pok, Poka, Swinger's Poka Kiss Kiss Kiss Me Poka. No Beerbero Poker Bill Berrow. No that well that wasn't Gus Polinski. But you know they sold over six hundred copies, not in Chicago but in Sheboygan, very big in Sheboygan. But anyway speaking.
Speaker 1: They couldn't get a flight, so they drove it's.
Speaker 4: A home alone reference in Gus Polensky. Yeah, he's good.
Speaker 3: Old John Candy, the Poka King of the Midwest. Well, the year's nineteen seventy five and the University of Wisconsin was playing a hockey game and uh, they're they're playing the game and the director of the bands there and getting the crowd all into it, and everybody said, we want to hear a poka, we want to hear a poka, and it's like, we don't have any pokas And the band said, well, yeah we do. We practice when you're not around and we play. Well, James, uh do you have that? Do you have cut two ready to go? They actually have this that they play as a poka as a big and the Wisconsin man plays this, it comes the King, Here comes the big number one, but wise the beer the King, you second to none.
Speaker 2: Just say bud Wiser. You've said it all. Here comes the King.
Speaker 1: But it's kind of catchy, very and I didn't like.
Speaker 2: You say, but you've said.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say that. Beer commercials used to be a lot better than they are today.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: So they knew that jingle, and the director says, well, if we take out Budweiser and put in Wisconsin, we can say when you say Wisconsin, you've.
Speaker 4: Said it all.
Speaker 3: And they played it and the crowd went nuts. Well. The band kept that tradition going, and then in nineteen seventy five there was a football game where the Wisconsin Badgers were playing the Oregon Ducks and they were behind, and they said, hey play the poka. So they played the beer, but the Budweiser beer PoCA, but changed Budweiser to Wisconsin, and twenty seconds after that scored a touchdown. They played it again. They scored again and won the game, and from then on it became a tradition at Wisconsin to play the Budweiser PoCA. But other schools have picked it up, and even they started playing it in the National Hockey League during the Stanley Cup playoffs. But the most fascinating thing, which I think James you're gonna appreciate, is that in Saint Louis, home of Budweiser, the seventh inning stretch, what do they play?
Speaker 4: Take me out to the ballgame? Guess what?
Speaker 3: Whoop? They bumped that to the eighth inning Because in Saint Louis, your official What's on Tap Radio fun fact of the week is that the Budweiser beer Poka, which is replaced in Wisconsin, is the Wisconsin beer PoCA Oh yeah, is played during the seventh inning stretch at all Saint Louis Cardinal games. And that is your official What's on Tap Radio fun fact of the week.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a break. Coming up, we're gonna talk about, Oh, this is a Japanese actor who's fired from doing alcohol commercials for drinking alcohol. Crazy world we're living in. We'll talk about that. All this is so much more.
Speaker 3: Hang with us.
Speaker 1: We'll right back.
Speaker 2: Did you know that six beers a day can reduce your risk of giving a rat's ass.
Speaker 3: Superior pest control of West Michigan Superior Pest dot Biz. They are sponsors of the research department here at What's on Tap Radio making sure that we have all this awesome content. Give them a call or reach out to them at Superior Pest dot Biz.
Speaker 1: A lot of great stuff on tap for season eleven, episode two of What's on Tap Radio podcast, You're gonna milk it.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, you're not.
Speaker 3: You've already It's kind of like, we already ruined the finish on this on this piece, let's just go ahead and wreck it.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, So I was at this event last week when I was meeting some folks and there's somebody that introduced me to somebody and they're like, this is James Simpson. He's a famous podcaster. And I said, hmm, yes, that's that's me, famous podcaster. Nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, if you don't mind, then, speaking of I want, I want to know did you sign any autographs?
Speaker 1: First of all, no, I didn't sign any autographs. No, no, no, no, people people don't really doesn't really do anything for him.
Speaker 3: No, like a famous podcaster. All right, well did you did you? Did you have to pay him twenty dollars to introduce you like that.
Speaker 1: It's like a famous shoe salesman like okay, right, sell shoes, sell our shoes. Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, also, uh, I know Bill wanted to give a shout out here speaking of meetings and going to meetings and introducing people.
Speaker 4: Bill, where were you this past.
Speaker 5: Week at the Michigan Brewers Guild Trade Show and conference? Call zoom and a big shot to those guys for all the fun stuff we did.
Speaker 4: He got it right that time.
Speaker 1: You only had to stay the mir like four times.
Speaker 3: The Michigan Trade Show and Conference Brewer's Guild meeting exposed. It's all right, listen, when you put many words in your event, somebody's going to get it out of order. So I don't blame Bill Butcher. We we gotta bust his chops. But you had a good time there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a big shot to Scott that runs the whole Michigan Brewers Guild.
Speaker 4: Does he know us? I introduced us and told him that I'm counting it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: We got a new listener.
Speaker 3: Our numbers that were up, so we're gonna say that Scott is listening and telling people, thank you, Scott.
Speaker 1: I mean, our numbers are really good. In Michigan, so I'm assuming that they might be.
Speaker 3: You know what, he doesn't just hold that chair down in this studio, he's out there working. I lot it.
Speaker 4: Good job Bill.
Speaker 1: Hey, all right, I read this story real quick. It's not the one she but an Australian landmark has been destroyed. Been destroyed, I said. A developer has demolished the boyhood home of ac DC's Angus and Malcolm Young. And the house is in Burwood, Sydney, and had been added to the local Register of a Historical Homes in twenty thirteen, but the register did not have the legal status to actually protect it. And fans are pissed. They're not with this, but the company said that it wasn't on purpose. The previous owner never told them about the house's cultural significance and now that they're generally sorry that they knocked it down. And now they plan to build a bar or cafe using the material salvage from the rubble. But damn it, this is ac DC, folks, it'd better be a bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have a beer. Hey, did you hear the ac DC has a beer? Now?
Speaker 1: I heard that and Metallica Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: You can actually save sea turtles with edible six peck.
Speaker 1: All things were we learned.
Speaker 3: But quest as to the eleven years and eleven years and how many episodes.
Speaker 1: People send us? Let me catch all up. People send us these stories year after year after year after year. We get it constantly. So inside joke that you guys are now in on uh to the global fan base of ac DC, Please know that we hear you, appreciate your deep admiration for the legendary band, and we are devoted to making this right. So they're gonna build a bar where Angus Young, Angus and Malcolm Young once they had their house that was just demolished.
Speaker 4: Okay, I gotta jump.
Speaker 3: This is not on the one sheet. And I was thinking about saving this for a fun fact, but no, it too.
Speaker 4: It's too good.
Speaker 3: Remember our good buddy Kip, formerly of Galaxy Jewelers for like fifty years in business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love Kip. He sends a story here and there.
Speaker 3: Yeah he does, and he sent me this, and this is pretty good. But property developers in the UK back in March of twenty twenty three, they tore down Yes, they were going through and they were developing, and they tore down a historic landmark and it was a Lincolnshire pub that was in the Register of Haunted Pubs and Haunted Buildings.
Speaker 1: Ah, that developer screwed.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was part of the punch Bowl in built in the seventeen hundreds and said to be haunted. And you know what, the the court ruled they had to rebuild it from the rubble, just like the just the same. It's like they saw this. I think I kind of feel like they're in Australia with the with the A C. D C House, Like, hey, you know what they made them do back in Lancolnshire. They made them go back over there, pick up all that mess they made and start putting the pieces back together. It's like you wrecked your you wrecked your little brother's legos, you put it back together.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine? Can you imagine put yourself in the shoes of the developer when you learned that, you're like, oh, it's like thatcial, I want to get away remember that.
Speaker 5: But I don't think it's a coincidence that a pub they consider haunted because you drink enough, everybody see spirit.
Speaker 1: Somebody on Twitter said that it would be better if it was a strip club. No, A bar would be a.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I just thought it was funny you brought that up.
Speaker 3: It's like I heard that story about the about the A c DC house and I didn't put two and two together until you said it because I was like, oh, wait, we're doing a beer show here, because that's what we do, you know. And uh and our good buddy Kip send me this beer story. It's like a Lincolnshire pub that was on the Haunted Registry of Building or the Registry of Haunted Buildings. Say, I just pulled a bill, I got the words out of order. Not so not so easy, isn't I remember my first damn radio all right? And uh yeah, they said, all right, here's the deal. You gotta put it back together using all the stuff you knocked down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get to it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty i'd be that's yeah. Like I said, I I feel for the developer who got the news that. Yeah, you you know what you did, right? What I do? You know that house that you demolished, Yeah, I felt that house.
Speaker 3: Who you wanted to put in a Smorrow Pizza or Orange Julius, But but it was Angus Young's birthplace, you know, like all right.
Speaker 1: Uh, I wouldn't. I'm gonna say that. I ain't nineteen days into dry January and I'm still going.
Speaker 4: Strong, and I'm I'm glad it's you not me, So.
Speaker 1: Take it away and take that dogfish head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just gonna say February first, all James friends are gonna be knocking on the door, Hey, is your studio open? Can we come back and play? We're not coming over there for this.
Speaker 1: They usually stop by in like March April.
Speaker 3: It takes him a while, it does because, yeah, because it's kind of a shell shock. It's like, well, maybe he's going another month, maybe he wants to try and see if he can keep it going. Like no, I'm not gonna take that chance, and I'm not gonna be the one who gets him back off the wagon. All right, dogfish head. Yeah, as James was alluding to, it's like they know you're gonna break your resolution.
Speaker 1: No one ever commits. They go about, what is it to two Fridays?
Speaker 3: The second Friday Friday in January is Quitter's Day.
Speaker 1: It's out of the way February. You know, when you make it to February, make it the second Friday.
Speaker 3: Right, Bill this is a good idea. I've got an idea next year for Harbor Light Brewing. You need to have a beer release for the second Friday in January called Quitter's.
Speaker 4: Beer a idea.
Speaker 3: It's a great idea, and we'll just play in the event. It's like, listen, just hey, go drink all your non alcoholic beer. Hey, listen, I know you guys say you aren't gonna quit. Talk to me on Friday. Okay, I know it's Thursday night and tomorrow's Friday, and you say you're not gonna quit and talk to me on Friday. All right. Meanwhile, you know where to find us, Come on buy and have a beer with us. But dogfish Head wants you to give up your New Year's resolution and give up dry January for thirty minutes. I know it seems like a strange request, but dogfish Head, makers of the sixty ninety and one twenty minute ipa, Actually they made a seventy five minute one in there too. I don't know if you remember that one that was a Big Bottle series, But they released that and they decided to release a thirty minute light IPA and guess when they released it on quitter's Day. So they don't really want you to quit for thirty minutes. They want you to quit for thirty minute ipa, which is a ninety six calorie, three point six gram of carbs and a twelve ounce serving. That's right, that's how most things come. Twelve ounce mittles, twelve bounce cans, ninety six calories, three point six grams of carbs, and that that beer there, I think it comes in like four point four point two or four point three percent ABV. I didn't get that on my stat sheet here. But that's not the point. The point is low abb low carbs, low calories. We know you're gonna quit, but you don't have to go and get a velvet merk and bourbon barrel aged and drink like you know, Bill and Chad. But you can go lighten up a little bit and go ahead and do that, and you know, go ahead and submit your your quitter stories to dogfish Head and uh yeah, the top three stories get a twenty get twenty dollars and a Quitter's Day participation. That is the best I saw that, And I'm like, I want to say that with a straight face.
Speaker 4: I don't think I can it' sorry.
Speaker 3: If you quit, you get an award. Best.
Speaker 1: They have no faith, they have no faith in your resolution.
Speaker 3: I love it. They're gonna give you twenty your best quitter's day story.
Speaker 4: You get twenty bucks and a medal.
Speaker 1: I can take a participation trophy.
Speaker 3: All right, good job, dogfish head. Either way, I'm thinking about, well, i'd have to quit. I have to quit before I could participate.
Speaker 1: But all right, I quit those gym memberships that you just signed up for. All Right, we gotta sa hey, uh, let's take a break. Coming up, we gotta talk about Buddy the Elf. Buddy the Elf is surfaced at a hockey game now looking too good. We gotta talk about that. All this is so much more. Hang with this, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: The more you weigh, the harder you are to kidnap. Stay safe, drink more beer. You've got What's on tap Radio?
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back to What's on Tap Radio where Yeah, we hope you don't quit us. I mean, even if you're not drinking alcohol for the month of January. You know, we like to say that this is good beer for your ear and if you need this to be non alcoholic.
Speaker 4: Beer for your ear.
Speaker 3: You're in luck.
Speaker 5: It's beer for your soul.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's you know, it goes. That's kind of you. You hear it. It's like a good sermon or pearls of Wisdom or Confucianism. You know, just you you you hear it.
Speaker 3: It's beer for your ear, and you all of a sudden, your liver takes a break, the brain gets engaged, and you're here hanging out with us. Maybe you're drinking a non alcoholic beer like James is in studio, ass because yeah, oh empty glass, dude, dude, slow down.
Speaker 1: Trail pass, I PA non alcoholics Heierra, Nevada at zero point five percent ABV. I'm telling you, blindfold taste test people would not be able to identify this as an a beer. Just been that out there, very happy. It's got a really really piny taste from the Amorillone Cascade Hops.
Speaker 3: I gotta I got a story about dry January and my non alcoholic beer experience. So I was at a local grocery store and there was a guy pouring samples of the athletic beers.
Speaker 1: They're good.
Speaker 4: He had, they're good. He had three athletic beers.
Speaker 1: They have one cracking later.
Speaker 3: But okay, he had the Golden Aile, he had the Hazy, and he had the regular American I p A.
Speaker 4: The American I p A was delicious. I'm not gonna lie. It was very good.
Speaker 3: I never would have guessed it was non alcoholic. But the guy, I am not joking. He had an higher script on an eight and a half by eleven sheet of paper, and he says, and he's holding this beer is refreshingly delicious, and it's made with I'm just like, dude, stop just stop. It's made with Simeco hops and caskets.
Speaker 1: Like I'm just like big fan of it's I'm just like, dude, stop stop stop. This one here trying to make a paycheck check.
Speaker 3: He is trying to make a.
Speaker 4: Paycheck, and I felt bad form.
Speaker 3: But all right, well, speaking of cutting some slack, James, I don't know what your beer glass looks like, but ours are empty.
Speaker 1: Mine's empty beer. I'm actually I got the Hazy that I'm actually about to bring to the.
Speaker 3: All right, well, why don't you crack open that Hazy? And meanwhile, Bill, Bill's got he's just cracked up in a beer that he brought back from the Michigan Craft Brewers Conference, Expo, trade Show, Symposium, Meeting, Extraordinant whatever it is. And I'm not even gonna Bill, I'm not even gonna try.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's the name of that beer.
Speaker 5: It's from Jolly Pumpkin, and I'm not even gonna try.
Speaker 3: No, No, you have to per seguidor you nailed it.
Speaker 5: Okay, artists and blended sour ale.
Speaker 4: Now here's everything that's in this beer.
Speaker 5: Listen to this, Okay. I gotta take a deep breath because it's kind of a long one. It's an ale brewed with juniper berries, rose hips, roast petals, hibiscus, lemon peel, coriander, lemon grass, sweet and bitter orange peel, with chocolate, roasted chestnuts, blood orange, and ginger added.
Speaker 1: Basically, it was brew with a flower bed.
Speaker 3: We got done making fruitcake and this was everything left on the table, and he said, just rake all this crap.
Speaker 1: Just go rip some flowers out of my flower bed and beer with it.
Speaker 4: It's actually very delicious.
Speaker 5: That's pretty good though, for I mean, I could not pick out well, I might be able to pick out like one of those ingredients, which is pretty good.
Speaker 1: I like to me I've had some good jolly pumpkin beers over the years.
Speaker 3: This is fantastic. Actually, this is a it's more like an old bruin. It's a Flanders or a Flanders red and very very tart. It's got a very high acidity. But it's got some dark Actually, it has a more like cherry fruits nerds lot darker than I thought it was going to be. You know, good stuff, all right. I know we're nerding out here, but hey, you know what we're drinking. You know, we're drinking as opposed to taking a break. And there are some breweries and brewer guild Speaking of guilds out there, we got this from the Michigan Craft Brewers Guild that are fighting back against dry January. Wait to go, guys, that's right. We're gonna Why they're.
Speaker 1: Doing it though, because it affects the local breweries. Because when you're going out buying all these in a beers, guess what, you're not supporting these small, local, mama pop breweries. So I get it.
Speaker 3: Celebrate celebrate Oregon beer. Yeah, you got your dry January. They've got pub January because you know this dry January, all these resolutions that you're gonna break anyway. Tough on business for breweries, and it's a slow beer drinking month anyway. So they're fighting back and they said, you know what we want you to do, and this is a great marketing campaign. They're not telling you to break your resolution. They're not telling you to drink beer. They're not telling you to drink alcoholic beer and give up non alcoholic beer. They're just telling you to go and visit your local brewery, tap room or your local pub. Why because people spend so much time during the winter months in isolation that actually contributes to their depression. And beer makes people feel better, but so does social interaction. So during these cold winter months, like for example, Harbor Light Brewery is a beach down summertime booming, but you locals get over to Harbor Light and in January and go over there and belly up to the bar. Dude, have your own version of pub January like celebrate organ beer does. Because this is going to help keep brewers in business, whether you're drinking alcoholic beer, non alcoholic beer, or any other beverage. But if nothing else, you're lifting your spirits by hanging out with other people. Now, another craft brewery entity, the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, they're fighting back as well.
Speaker 3: They're like, yeah, January is bad for brewers, so they decided to have a My Illinois Beer Fridge Contest.
Speaker 4: I love this.
Speaker 3: This is great, same thing. They're not telling you to break your resolution, but they know if you're not drinking, you're also not stocking up on beer and that hurts brewers.
Speaker 4: So you're not spending money. Now think about this.
Speaker 3: You're gonna go dry January, so that means you stock up your beer fridge and you drink all the way up till midnight on December thirty. First, yay, and then you're like, uh, I had to go the whole month without drinking. You drink the last beer out of your fridge. You're pretty empty. That's actually pretty good impression on me.
Speaker 4: Jad and your beer fridge looks sad.
Speaker 3: It just like, ah, I drink it all well. People aren't stocking up and they're waiting till February to go back and buy. And what My Illinois Beer Fridge Contest does is they want you to go and stock up and fill your beer fridge. Take a picture of it and tag my Illinois beer fridge, My il beer fridge and the best beer fridges are getting gift certificates from the CVB and the Tourism Bureau and the brewers guilds to go visit breweries whenever they start drinking again. I love this. This is a great promotion. It's like, we're not telling you to break your resolution. We're just saying that whenever February first comes around, we want to give you some cash to go spend there. But in the meantime, if you don't mind, go visit these breweries. Get out, get some social interaction, drink your non alcoholic beers, but also stock up your beer fridge. Fill it up, take a photo of it, tag us and we'll send you a gift certificate.
Speaker 5: Support your local brewery.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 4: This is great marketing.
Speaker 3: This is good stuff for breweries fighting back against people who were like, yeah, this is the year I get six pack abs and you know what, you know, this is another thing I love about the brewing industry. All these people they say, we're gonna go ahead and give up beer. You know, we're gonna work on our health and we're gonna get our six pack abs. And then in February when they come back and they were still wearing the same size pants. They Nobody behind the bar says, AH told you you might not get the six pack abs, but you could pick up a six pack.
Speaker 4: Hey see, look at that right there. Keep working on your keg.
Speaker 3: I feel targeted, sorry, James, as Bill and I are sitting here enjoying this wonderful Pressgur Door or whatever it is, jolly Pumpkin sour, which is seven point eight percent.
Speaker 4: It's a Flanders. It's a beautiful beer.
Speaker 3: And James's glass is empty, and he's gonna be long.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna crack here. And after we take a break, and before I do my hold my beer and watch this. But I ask people, ask me, why do you do it? I just like to do it because I like a good challenge. I like a good challenge and like to see if I can do it. And I did it last year, and here I went nineteen days in, still going strong. And I'm saying, there are some really good NA beers out there. It's not just those terrible I'm not gonna mention the the other ones that used to be. You know when your dad and grandpa used to drink back in the eighties. Those are terrible. But the stuff that's put out these days blind taste tests, I could you not you would not be able to identify which one is the alcoholic version versus the ana beer. So you know, give it a try or not.
Speaker 4: Or or support you.
Speaker 1: I mean you can still go out and support your local breweries. Go buy some six packs to go, and then when it comes February first boom, you have beer to drink to celebrate that you made it through a month without Uh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Been thinking about Bill and I got on the wagon once. We just didn't see a bar. So we're off the wagon, all right.
Speaker 1: We gotta take a break. Coming up next hour. We got home on beer and watched this speed dating. We're gonna talk about speed dating because bush Light is letting you speed dates. We're gona talking about that buddy the Elf showed up to a hockey game. I'm not looking so good. All this is so much more, including hold on beer and watch this. We'll be right back for our number two.
Speaker 2: Here a what's on tap radio? We know two types of people, those you drink with and those that make you drink.
Speaker 3: Oh, your parents are coming for the weekend.
Speaker 2: Either way, we're drinking, hold my beer and watch this.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by your friends at Ringing All the Tenhacin insurance group located in Grand Rapids, Michigan and Holland along the Lake Shore RTI Grand Rapids RTI Grand Rapids dot Com.
Speaker 1: Why our number two? What's on Tap Radio starts now, Season eleven, Episode two.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: What sets us apart from other podcasts is that most podcasts, their seasons are around nine or ten episodes. Ours forty eight episodes a season, right, perst season, perst season pers Right.
Speaker 3: But you were telling me at one point in time when I first got started with you, working with you. James been doing radio twenty years, and you know, he was kind enough to say, uh, oh, I think I can work with you. And he let me let me step up to the mic. Yeah, you're adequate, and uh he told me, he says, you know what the average length of a podcast is. So this is when podcasts were just popping up all over the time. You're all over the place all the time, just boom bom boom, boom boom. The average length of the of a podcast was six episodes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, between six and yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was ridiculously low. Not six and ten a year, but six and ten period. And then they went away. And we we've watched and I mean we've we've seen some good friends doing podcasts for a long time, and you know, they just eventually, you know, they either burned out, tapped out, just you know, or found better opportunity and moved on whatever it was, or just whatever it was.
Speaker 1: A lot of times you just lose the steam, they lose the motivation for it. That's what it is.
Speaker 3: Yep. But we saw a lot pop up in a very short period of time and they were like, yeah, we're the new hottest podcast talk about craft beer. And they did like four or five episodes and.
Speaker 1: Gone, I remember, like what this is obviously before plandemic whatever. But I'll go on these podcasts and they're like, what advice would you give somebody who you know started a podcast? And the number one advice I can give somebody who starting a podcast is do the podcast.
Speaker 3: Podcast told me that yeah, don't just I don't care, I don't care who's listening, doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: You got to keep going.
Speaker 3: You have to if you if you stop, because that first time you do one.
Speaker 4: Everybody and your brother and your mother's gonna listen and you.
Speaker 1: Support it and yep, we love you, man.
Speaker 3: And then you'll do episode two, and then all of a sudden, the numbers dropped down to like like ten percent of what it was. It's like, what didn't you guys like it? And it's like, oh no, I forgot about it, and yeah, I'll try and catch it next week. And then I'll try and catch it and they and they never do. But then all of a sudden, a year goes by and your numbers are low and everything, and then of a sudden they're like, you're still doing that, man, I gotta go catch up. And then all of a sudden your numbers start coming up.
Speaker 1: I just gotta hang in just you gotta hang in there.
Speaker 4: You gotta be consistent.
Speaker 1: It took us about ten years before we got a good amount of listeners.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of being consistent, James all through January, he's gonna be steady. He's not gonna be uh drinking any alcoholic beer. He's gonna stick with the na's And but his glass is empty, it's time to refill.
Speaker 1: I'm cracking his beer down here because the last time I open one. It fitsts everywhere, and I don't want to fizz all on my equipment. Oh okay, cool, so I didn't splatter everywhere. So this is the athletic hazy I p A that Chad was talking about when he went out to the I guess local local grocery store and there was a guy. This is athletic hazy ip a. This is at zero point five percent. I'll call by volume.
Speaker 4: This is in a twelve ounce camp.
Speaker 1: So gut some haze to it and go ahead. Take us what it is. I thought it kills it. Man. This is really good athletic. I like the Trailblades. The Trailblazes has a little more hot to it than the hazy IPA from athletic. But not bad, not bad at all. All right, let's do.
Speaker 2: Yes now beer and watch this brought to you by the ring meld of ten Hacen Insurance Group, where they'll cover you for just about everything except.
Speaker 1: That Chad laughing because I'll address his beer up. But I looked at the time and goes, oh my god, I gotta do it. Ho my beer.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'm laughing because you sounded like mclovin.
Speaker 3: I really I prefer the Trailblazer.
Speaker 4: It has a little more and.
Speaker 1: I thought you would give you a I thought you were a bust at my chips because I was like.
Speaker 3: I caught it right away. It's like, yeah, I really like this one, and I think.
Speaker 1: They changed the hops and the way you said it was great.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get to some drunk criminals. Thank you bringing all the ten Hagen insurance for bringing us this segment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: This was a multi vehicle crash that happened in Colorado just outside of Denver earlier this month. And when the cops showed up, the driver was that fault wasmre drunk? Yep, he was, and he even boasted about it. All right, an officer asking him how many drinks he had, And I'm gonna play the audio here, but it's kind of difficult to make out, so I'm gonna read you the transcript here. Should I play the clip first or no?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: No no, So let everybody know what they're going to hear, and then I'm gonna hear it.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell them what they're gonna hear.
Speaker 4: What they heard?
Speaker 1: Fair enough? So an officer asked how many drinks he's had, and the guy said, I'm not gonna b s you probably about ten drinks. I'm gonna tell you right now, I'm a professional drinker. I'm a professional drinker. And the police department posted the body cam footage of the interaction, and the guy was smoking something during the discussion, probably maybe some kind of cigarette, and the officer asked the guy if he wanted to bother with trying to do a field sobriety test, and the guy said he didn't care. Police later said the breathalyzer test showed that he had a BAC but ilcohol content at zero point three two six, which is more than three yep, which is not just domatic, not two, not three, but four times the legal limits. He was arrested. Thankfully, no one was injured in the crash. So this is cut eight and this is the driver and the cops interaction with how many drinks he had. Let's get cut how much have you had?
Speaker 3: A drinks?
Speaker 2: That matter?
Speaker 3: Ten drinks?
Speaker 2: Cool? Do you want to do road times?
Speaker 1: You tell me you're ten to drinks? Steve, right, you're pretty drunk?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, right.
Speaker 1: Now, Like I'm a drink, I'm a professional drunkard. Luckily, nobody was injured in the crash, but a drunk driver caused a crash and then told the police, Hey, I am a profess.
Speaker 3: I know I caused this crash, and I know I've had ten but I'm a professional. It's cool, though, don't try this.
Speaker 1: It's cool because I'm a I'm a professional. I'm a professional. Now, no word yet on how he's a professional.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, does he have a degree, a certificate of completion from some class or seminar.
Speaker 1: I'm scared to think. I'm scared to think that he might be like a brewer maybe or works at a brewery.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I doesn't say though, But thanks for not today, Insurance Group for continuing to sponsor or hold my beer and watch this worry. Drunk driver cost a crash and told the police I'm a professional.
Speaker 3: All right, Please don't drink and drive, Please don't.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's be responsible, all right, enjoy dry January, stick with it, all right, let's take a break still to come, let's talk about fridges and speaking of who, someone's not doing dry January. Buddy the Elf showed up to a hockey game not looking too good and all this is so much more. Hang with us, still more to get to. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: When someone says, hold my beer. You know a trip to the er is in your future, so hold your own beer, buddy, and just listen to more what's on tap? What's on tamp radio?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Walk back to what's on tap radio?
Speaker 3: Where we are professional beer drinkers, but we never brag about it, especially whenever we're talking to our moms or local authorities, because mom gets disappointed. In the cops, they get suspicious. But I hold my beer and watch this guy got arrested for causing a car accident and then saying, oh, that's okay. I'm a professional beer drinker now, I you know, I, well.
Speaker 1: You admitted to drinking ten drinks. But he's like, don't worry about it, though, don't worry about ten drinking. I'm not a problem.
Speaker 3: You know why.
Speaker 1: I'm a professional.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I used to joke about that, you know, beer logic conferences and events and get up there and it's like how did the people ask like how did you get this job? And was like, oh, you know what professional beer drinker?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: When I was in elementary school. They said, you know, I don't hear every d What do you want to be when you grow up? And I said, I want to be a fireman, or an astronaut or a professional beer drinker.
Speaker 4: And man, my dreams game true.
Speaker 1: I don't think a career day. No, No, you won't speak at your kids school. I'm a professional beer drinker.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually I gave a talk to a bunch of teachers in a back to school event and they said, hey, we want you to do a motivational raw ra picked me up feel good speech and I said okay, And they said, but you can't talk about beer. And I said, you know what I do for a living, right, you know? I said, I'm a professional beer drinker. And and I said, they said you can't talk about beer? Wait?
Speaker 1: Is this just for teachers or parents? There?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for teachers, for teachers, no parents, no parents, And they went mention it. Well, I told them, I said, let me tell you how I want to mention it. And they said, okay, if you're going to do it like that, yeah, that's fine, Yeah, that's fine. And what I told them I was gonna do is I said, you know, when you're trying to differentiate, and you're trying to get these kids to go out there and conquer the world and everything.
Speaker 4: You're trying to motivate them.
Speaker 1: You know, we don't.
Speaker 3: Every kid learns different, every kid brands himself different. Every kid's gonna go out and cut, you know, form their own path. And I said, the way I did mine is I didn't tell everybody that I'm a beer salesman. I talk about beer. I'm a motivational speaker. You know, there's a lot of those people.
Speaker 4: I just said.
Speaker 3: I told people I was a professional beer drinker, and that got people's attention. Now that's the only reference I made. The superintendent of the school, I thought her head was going to explode when I said that.
Speaker 4: I said, don't worry. There aren't any kids around. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: And it's not like I cracked open a beer like I just did. Harvard light Bill brought some beer.
Speaker 4: Back from the.
Speaker 3: Michigan Craftber's Conference Guild Association trade show and event. I forgot what it was called, but this beer that we're drinking is beer James. If you want to know anything about it, Bill can tell you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, from Wolverine State Brewing Company, news.
Speaker 4: That's enough, now go ahead.
Speaker 5: Beer Zeeland pillser Nelson Sawvin Hops twenty eighteen Silver medalist at Michigan Beer Festival.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, okay, hold on, sorry, James, I'm taking another second. This is phenomenal one a goal or silver. Yeah, this is a beautiful beer, bright crisp balanced the hop flavor on. That is a mazing that is that is a beautiful flavor. Oh good beer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Wolverine State Brewing Company out of an arbor way more aggressively hop than most pills.
Speaker 3: All right, that's enough nerdy stuff. Let's get onto the fun stuff. James, how would you like free beer for a year.
Speaker 4: That's fun?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Oh wait, did you quit drinking.
Speaker 1: Just in January?
Speaker 4: All right, so James gets free beer for eleven months.
Speaker 1: I mean I'll take it. Fine, I'll take it. I'll just put in my fridge and then come February first, I'll have something to have it. I'll have something to crack.
Speaker 3: And then you could actually take a picture and you could tag it my Illinois beer fridge and maybe you get money to spend when you come up to Chicago.
Speaker 1: Speaking of fridges, I have a story coming up about fridge. I don't know why we have so many stories about refrigerators, but we do.
Speaker 3: We do, all right. I just I think it's great that just all these people are working together to build just this culture in their city. I mean, Oregon's doing it, Illinois is doing it, and here we are now Saint Paul, Minnesota, and they are partnering. The Saint Paul Brewing Company is partnering with can Cam Wonderland, which is a mini golf and arcade, and.
Speaker 1: They have crazy i've heard in a long time.
Speaker 3: It's like it's almost like the Willy Wonka story, but it's the hunt for the Golden beer can.
Speaker 1: And this is way cooler than brew Dog.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because they're not telling you it's real gold it's it's just gold plated. But they're telling what you get for this.
Speaker 4: But this is what I love.
Speaker 3: They've hidden the golden beer can on public land, so they want you to go around and visit the city looking for this and they're giving clues. Now, if you find this, here's what you're gonna get. Okay, You're gonna get a thousand dollars party at the arcade. So you get to go to cancm Wonderland and throw a big bash for a thousand bucks and you get free beer for a year from the brewery.
Speaker 1: And this is happening right now, isn't it.
Speaker 3: What's going on today company Saint Paul, Minnesota. Three times a week, they're gonna be sending out clues as to where this can is and the clues are going to keep coming until the treasure is found, with the last clue being given Sunday, January twenty sixth. And I love the.
Speaker 4: Warnings that they put on here.
Speaker 3: This is great. It's like, listen, it's gonna be hidden on public land, so don't go trespassing. Don't go wandering around private property looking for this. It's gonna be on public grounds. And they said, and it's not gonna be anywhere dangerous. So if you're climbing up trees or you're scaling fences or walls and you hurt yourself, it's going to be a very awkward conversation with your doctor when you say you hurt yourself.
Speaker 4: Looking for beer. It's just don't do it.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be public grounds, easy to find, safe to find. But can can Wonderland Arcade in mini golf course partnering with Saint Paul Brewing Company on the pursuit for the Golden Beer Can to get you to go out and visit Saint Paul, Minnesota. Go and see the public ground, see the parks, the public areas, check out the green space. While it's probably covered in snow so but regardless the parks and everything that's local. And you find this golden pier can beer, can you get a thousand dollars party at can Cam Wonderland and beer for a year from the brewery.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you right now, whoever does this has to be really really dedicated because I'm looking at the current temperature right now in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Three degrees three three degrees.
Speaker 4: That's that's one number.
Speaker 1: So when you're out there searching for this golden can, make sure that you dress appropriately because.
Speaker 5: It is cold and will be frozen by the time you find it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if it has real beer in it, but that doesn't matter. But the point is is you found it.
Speaker 3: And if you find it, by the way, hold don't don't hold it up and like kiss it because your lips will stick to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'd be like the kid on Christmas story with your tongue stuck to the pole, stuck to a beer can.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, like you got to be really really dedicated to go out there and then and find this beer because three degrees uh huh, huh huh. You ain't catching me trying to find a going on scavenger hunt. Now. I talked about the brew Dog because brew Dog years ago had a golden can where they what do they put it in a six pack or twelve pack and then it was just like a kind of a wooly wonka thing where you just randomly found it. Yeah, and then it really wasn't gold.
Speaker 3: Well, what they advertised was they said it was a fourteen carrot solid gold can, right and they oh yeah, and they said it was worth millions or something like that, and you know, are worth thousands. And what they implied was is that, I mean, everybody knows if you if you got a solid gold beer can and you went and cashed it in, I mean that's thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars. And whenever they got it, it was like just gold plated aluminium and it was just and it was worth nothing. And they said, no, it was a marketing campaign, and the thousands and thousands that we talked about were basically in marketing value for you to be able to brag and say you found it and like no, no, no, no, no, this is this is not that's not how this works. No, you came out and told us at what it was worth. And apparently they lost a lawsuit on that and they had to pay out. I don't know if they had to pay out the equivalent of what that can was worth, but they did pay out a lot of money to make those people whole because they found it. And it's like you miss led people into going to search for this beer can or these beer cans.
Speaker 1: But I like them, But I like I like this, like this story. You go go out, go on a scavenger run, but they're not gonna throw it in some like train tracks or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go down there and when the train goes by, jumping between the reels, don't touch the third reel.
Speaker 1: But uh, I like that. That's a great idea. I think other Bruce should jump on that, just because that's a good way to see your city. Yeah, you know, if they if they put it out some like tourist destinations, maybe that you haven't seen before. I don't know. A year of free beer and uh if you find this golden can Saint Paul in three degrees. All right, let's take a break still to come. Got so much stories to get to, including speed dating thing we're gonna talk about refrigerators. I have no idea why, but we are all so much more. Hang with us. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: What's on tap? For the term social drinker is taking on a whole new level. First, what's your pleasure to gather around and pour around? What's on tap? What you got? What's on tap? It's what's on tap radio.
Speaker 1: I'm really hoping that we can get to all the stories that Superior Pest Control send us, because man, the one she's just packed.
Speaker 3: You could do it, Jed, you can do it.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, you know what?
Speaker 3: Hold on a second, if we don't tune in next week for season eleven, episode three.
Speaker 1: Can't wait, can't wait? All right? Hazy Ipa from Athletic Brewing Company, zero point. I like to trail path better from peering up on us. Beer brought to the table, and then I'll have a pictures of all this. That's a good time to plug our social that's at What's on Tap Radio, Instagram, Facebook, X, is TikTok? I mean, I mean, are we on? Is TikTok going away? We don't know, we don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been banned, is it?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But we'll just get on the next big social media platform that comes out. Also, you can get ahold of us at What's on top of You at Gmail dot com. I'm at James and the Radio and that's that bire logic Chatpillbeam.
Speaker 4: I think I think harbor lighte Bill? Do you have a handle harbor Light Bill at all?
Speaker 3: But are you on Instagram?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think I am on Instagram at harbor Light.
Speaker 3: Either you are.
Speaker 1: Does somebody do it for you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I think I did. I did that.
Speaker 5: I'm on It's X right now, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Well that's Twitter, that's Twitter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's on that anyway, that doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, Hey, I spend.
Speaker 5: Thirty six years in it. You think I know how to do something?
Speaker 1: You're doing good? All right?
Speaker 3: You're doing great?
Speaker 1: All right? You guys got a beard to crack because I got some stories good too.
Speaker 3: We cracked open this beer and Bill, I don't know, man, not as good as the Wolverine. Let's just you know what, I'm just gonna do this. This was a gift from somebody at the Michigan craft Brewers Guild conference and expose or whatever. And James, I, I kind of want to just skate.
Speaker 4: Over this one.
Speaker 3: Let's let's not even mention that we opened a beer because I'm gonna share it with the yard.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm I don't want to throw this brewer under the bus.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we're not here to crap on breweries, but this is not that. Every beer that we drink on the show, take one more.
Speaker 3: Ship to make sure. Hold on, let me take one more sip mm hm. That has got off off flavors very it's a cult and it's very bready.
Speaker 4: It is not clean.
Speaker 3: There's something wonky in there. Hey, we're gonna just skate over that one. We'll open another beer to the end the show. James, please take us to take us someplace happy, because my taste buds are wrecked.
Speaker 1: So the second that Christmas comes and goes the big box doors, they pack up all the Christmas stuff and then what comes out Valentine's Day stuff, Valentine's Day stuff is already. They got the heart candies all that. And so if you're looking for a Valentine and you're looking to maybe maybe get that first date, bush Light's gonna help you get that first date. To celebrate Valentine's Day. Check this out.
Speaker 3: Every every girl's dream. Here we go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like the Valentine's Day Recie's heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are good.
Speaker 4: Bush Light's gonna one up it here.
Speaker 1: What about those those hearts that have the message on them that break your your crowns on your teeth.
Speaker 4: It tastes like school chalk.
Speaker 1: It will break the crown. You have to go with the dentists. Anyways, there's no recipe for the perfect first date. But what if I told you offers these three ingredients. You got speed dating, the Daytona five hundred and bush Light beer. Huh Now I need to listen in. Bush Light has just announced a contest called Date Tona or eight lucky single people will get the chance to go on a date at the Daytona five hundred. Basically, you'll get to do the speed date, where be driven one lap around the track by a trained driver. This isn't during the Daytona five hundred. Of course, it's just a few days before the event, but they're throwing in tickets to the race as well, and they'll pay for your airfare and hotel stay for the dating thing, but you'll have to cover your accommodations to stay for the race a few days later. Okay, if this seems up your ally, you can apply online at dot com not a sponsor, and they're asking for you to provide some basic information along with a brief pitch about yourself, which can't be more than two hundred and fifty five characters, and the deadline is the end of this month, so you'll have a few weeks to send a submission and the speed dating event will happen February twelve, two days before Valentine's Day, and the Daytona five hundred is that Sunday, February sixte And for what it's worth it, finalists will have to go through a background checked to make sure you're not some crazy psychopath, So if you have anything gnarmally in your past, don't even bother. So if you've been a subject to hold my beer and watch this need not apply. But yeah, bush Light is letting you speed date at the Daytona five hundred. And you know there's someone who's listening right now, going hell yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 3: I've been to the grocery store, I've been to church, I've been everywhere. My mom told me to go and she tried to hook me up with my friends. I cannot find a mate for life. Oh wait, bush Light has speed dating. If you get into this and you leave without a mate for life, yeah, you're doomed to be single. Because this is I mean, this is a slam dunk.
Speaker 1: It says that true thing. You have to write a brief description about yourself and two hundred and fifty five characters, and it has to be coherent. It's gotta make sense. Fifty it's gotta make sense. Oh man, dang man, dang old dang old man. Good, get a good good go man.
Speaker 3: That's right, I got. I'mnna go out there, I go. I'm gonna gonna make four right turns and we're gonna go out there and we're gonna left turn and then we're gonna go out there and we're gonna run around there. Well, you said that pit time there sweetheart. There, that's that's right. That's I'll tell you what that right there. They're in and out in about thirty two seconds, which is about twice as long as I am.
Speaker 1: My second my second favorite beer brewing company.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, please tell me we beat that.
Speaker 4: Please tell me you you didn't You didn't beep it, did you?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I My headphones cut out right there, but I heard you, and.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, we did an interview with the brewery once and that kind of sounded just like that.
Speaker 3: Let's just say yeah, let's just say yeah, but we were you talked about nerding out a little bit earlier in the show. Yeah, well they were talking about water quality coming from the aquifer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll never forget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the brewery. They the guy had dip in his mouth when he was doing the interview, just saying and a.
Speaker 4: Few beers before he a few like like yeah he he he.
Speaker 1: But he was a professional. He was a professional.
Speaker 3: It would have watched this segment. I'm telling you right now. His we put a microphone in front. I've never seen the guy punch the microphone in a studio until that guy. He punched it.
Speaker 1: You're live on the radio and he's like, boom, we got start over.
Speaker 4: I'm like like, no, that's not how this works.
Speaker 1: We're live on the radio, live on the radio. But Chad, Chad was doing his impression and the guy sounded just like that. Oh he was Yeah, he was so hammered anyway, So hey, hey, you could get a nice day for Valentine's Day. Yeah, at the dayton of five hundred thanks to Bush Light. Speaking of Light, let's talk about Natty Light. Hey, are you close with your neighbor? You are pretty close to your neighbor, John, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, John? And I yeah, we look yeah, I stand on the porch. Hey John, Hey Chad, how you doing?
Speaker 1: This is right up your ally Chad, this is right up your alley, all right. So if you're actually close enough to your neighbors to do this, this might come in handy. Natty Light has come up with a new double sided beer fridge called I Love this Genius genius marketing. The neighbor Rator not a not a refrigerator, a neighbor rator that you and your neighbors can share. You build it into your backyard fence and there's a door on each side so either of you can access it when you want a beer. And they only made one and they're holding a contest. Uh you can win by following them on social and explaining why you and your neighbor do deserve it. And it comes with a year's worth of beer, which they claimed is one twenty four pack a month for each home. So anyone who actually wants this to be drinking a case of case a week. You do the math, and they came up with it after a poll that found sixty percent of Americans wish they had a closer relationship with their next door neighbors. So sharing the cheap beer's the easy part. My question is who's putting the electric bill? That's the question I was.
Speaker 3: Just gonna say. This is gonna come down to. It's like, hey, I put us in for this, and then the neighbor's gonna be like, cool, so you're paying for the electricity.
Speaker 4: Sure, I'll pay for electricity.
Speaker 3: But then whenever it comes time when the guy goes to sell the house and one of the guys moves, and then the new neighbor comes in, and the guy's a jerk and he doesn't want to share the neighbor raider with him. He's like, hey, I'm gonna take my neighbor raader back. He's like, no, no, no, that's on the property line. It's right there in the fence.
Speaker 4: That's community proper.
Speaker 3: That's shared. In fact, when I bought that was part of the reason I picked this house over the one down the street because of the beer fridge. Well it's not yours. I could see some problems coming from.
Speaker 1: Well, it does lock on both sides, by the way, so if there's ever a falling out and your neighbor get drunkling cross through to murder you, you can lock it on one side. So Natty Light makes made a double sided fridge, just one for you to share with your neighbor, just one, so you can enter this contest at I'm not gonna give the website because not a sponsor, but hey, it looks pretty cool. I put a picture of it on our social at What's on Tap Radio. But yeah, Natty Light made a double sided fridge for you to share it with your neighbor. So if you're close with your neighbor, there you go. All right, we got to take a break coming up in the last segment, but of the elf not looking so good. And then there's a Japanese actor who did beer ads and he got fired for drinking beer. We'll try to make sense of it all. Coming up in the last segment's What's on top Radio? Hanging with us for one more we'll drive back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we drink water, but it has to be filtered through a brewery first. What's on tap Radio?
Speaker 3: All right, it's not time to go yet, but it's getting close and I'm feeling kind of sad. That may be because we just had to share a beer with the yard.
Speaker 5: Technically snow Bank. Yeah, snow Bank.
Speaker 3: It's cold here.
Speaker 1: I've had some great conversations sharing a beer with my sink.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, I know, I know a brewer worked hard to make this beer, but not hard enough because it was going gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah the garbage, drink it right up.
Speaker 3: Last segment for the week. What's on Tap Radio? Thanks for sticking with us here, Harbor Light Bill?
Speaker 1: Just mean episode season eleven, episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah something like that. Yeah, yeah, I don't know what are we drinking here?
Speaker 3: Tell everybody what this is real quick?
Speaker 5: The try our house ale from Scotland.
Speaker 4: Actually, oh so good. I love this beer.
Speaker 3: You don't find this very often, Harbor Light Bill and I picked it up a party store in Grand Haven. Michigan and and I said, dude, good stuff, and he says, I've never had it. Well, now we're sharing, and James, we'll share with you next month.
Speaker 1: All right, all right here, dogfish Ada, I'm sticking with it. That's right.
Speaker 4: What's the ABV on this?
Speaker 3: And there's the reason I'm asking seven point two? Seven point two, So that would be, would you consider that a low alcohol beer?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Well all right, well then I guess we are no longer in the running for a to be the face of a low alcohol beer advertisement in Japan. I mean I was auditioning.
Speaker 4: I was ready. I was brushing up on my Japanese.
Speaker 3: I know, Bill and I were thinking we had a shot, and uh, we're gonna get our It's going to be our big break.
Speaker 1: But uh, popular jem his job opening coming up?
Speaker 3: There is there is a popular Japanese actor no longer doing ads for a low alcohol beer after getting fired from Asai Breweries.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The actor who has over eighty screen credits, Royo Yoshizawa.
Speaker 4: Big hit is huge and huge in Japan.
Speaker 1: Yeah is really. I looked up as IMDb. He's been in a lot of movies.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. Fashion Magazine has called him a national treasure and a class of handsomeness. He's very hot.
Speaker 1: He's very hot.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, known for his commercials with the three point five percent super dry dry crystal beer.
Speaker 1: It's clearer, I think, yeah, yes, yeah, I looked at it.
Speaker 4: Just yeah.
Speaker 3: Not to be confused with crystal servers, which is featured in Star Wars, if you know anything about that.
Speaker 4: But that's another that's another sided check.
Speaker 3: But the thirty year old actor one of Japan's most popular actors. He was out on December thirtieth, having a good old time before the new year. And well, I don't think he was consuming the three point five percent super dry dry crystal beer. Maybe something a little bit stronger. And the Japanese actor known for promoting low alcohol beer was intoxicated. And well, I busted for breaking into his neighbor's home. But he didn't really break in. He just stumbled, walted right, and he walked into the wrong apartment to use the bathroom. He's like he thought he was home or something. He thought he knew the guy just walked in. He's like, I lost my memories. I think I just went in without asking because I just had to use the bathroom. That's what he told local media and well aside group, the brewering group. Now they told the media, we've decided to terminate his contract. So the popular Japanese actor fired from a low alcohol beer ad because he was drunk and charged with breaking into a neighbor's home. Statement from the publicist and from him personally, he wanted to apologize. He apologized to his neighbor. He's like, I'm really sorry, but also saying that they sincerely apologize to the fans and the related parties for the concern and inconvenience it caused. Because like other countries, drinking has been on the decline in Japan with low percentage and even alcohol free beverages and even abstaining and those all those things growing in popularity, especially amongst younger people.
Speaker 4: That must be his demographic.
Speaker 3: That's his p one demographic right there is people under thirty.
Speaker 5: Maybe he just got you know lost in translation.
Speaker 3: Oh nice reference there, So I James has a little bit of sympathy.
Speaker 1: I feel they went a little too far with this punishment. It's not like he kicked down the door, guns ablaze in trying to rob the guy. He probably had to go to the bathroom really bad. You know, how have you ever had to go to the bathroom so bad? You're just like, ah, you can't even focus. And I'm sure he.
Speaker 4: Put his hand up because he's gotta prostay issue.
Speaker 1: He just has to do the baths a lot of water, and maybe he's like trying to get his keys and the doors. I can't I can't make it. I can't make it. And he just happened to go through his neighbors and the neighbor knows he lives next to a famous celebrity. If Ryan Reynolds lived right next door to you and he like walked in your house and used the bathroom, do you think you're gonna be calling the cops and like pressing charges on him. Like he's a very famous actor, Like everybody knows who he is. And so they're like, now he's got to go on apology tour and I'm sorry, and now he's getting fired because he accidentally walked into his neighbor's apartment to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna back into this. I don't think anybody knows that he was drunk unless he walks into the wrong apartment. So if he doesn't walk into the wrong apartment. Nobody finds out he's drunk, but they arrested him or sorry, they dropped him as a client, essentially, you know, to promote this low alcohol beer because he was drunk, and that's not the image of low alcohol beer consumption.
Speaker 4: So maybe there's if you look at it from that perspective.
Speaker 3: Just you're right, he walked into the wrong door, and the guy's like, oh my gosh, or however you say.
Speaker 4: It in Japanese.
Speaker 1: And there might be more.
Speaker 4: Might call the police or whoever they are.
Speaker 1: There might be more of the story. He could be like a terrible neighbor who's always throwing parties all the time, and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back, like finally I got a way to get rid of this guy. Maybe that's what's happening, But there's no details in the story. From all we know that he had to go to the bathroom and he walked into his neighbor's apartment and now he's getting kicked out of this these beer ads.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Something doesn't add up. I'm like I said, he didn't he didn't go guns and blazing in there. He didn't tiin anybody up. But all right, now he's out of a job because he walked into the wrong apartment. Have me meeting.
Speaker 4: Talksicated Bill's making mister Robato references.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, all right, before we get out of here, I've been talking about the whole show. Buddy the Elf shows up to a hockey game. Will Ferrell shows up to a hockey game as an unshaven buddy of the Elf and took the social media by storm. Yeah, he appeared to be at an La King's hockey game where he's dressed up as Buddy the Elf. Apparently he has season tickets. But this Buddy the Elf was unshaven and very unhappy looking, and he was drinking a beer with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Like I said, took social media by storm. And so why do you do it? What's going on with Buddy the Elf? Well, he just wanted to do it. He just wanted to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He went on the Kelsey Brothers podcast called the New heightst Podcast. I love that podcast, and he said, quote, the reaction was insane, like what is he doing? Is he promoting something? But occasionally I just like to do weird things just to start up a little bit. And by the way, by the way, it was a candy cigarette, wasn't even real cigarettes. So that's why Will Ferrell showed up to a hockey game like an unshaven Buddy the Elf, because Buddy the Elf looked like he had been on the unemployment line for a while.
Speaker 3: Oh dude looked down and out like the only reason he was drinking beer is because he just ran out a ripple.
Speaker 1: They looked like life and knocked him down a few times and he just not fed up with it. But no, like I said, a season take a holder for the La Kings and just decided, you know what, Hey, it's the holidays, let's up dressed up like Buddy the Elf. But you know, he hadn't shaved because he hasn't done any TV or anything lately, so you know, why not have some fun. And again took the Internet by a storm and a few people send us that story. So that's the story behind why Will Farrell shut up to the hockey game like unshaven, unemployed Buddy the Elf.
Speaker 4: Yeah, looking like hell.
Speaker 1: He did look like hell.
Speaker 2: I do like that.
Speaker 3: You know in the scene in the movie where he Warrens everybody. He's walking across the street and the cabs almost in him. He's like, careful, the yellow ones don't stop. He was at the hockey gaming. He looked like he got hit by a couple. I mean he looked awful.
Speaker 1: But all for entertainment purposes only, all right, Speaking of entertainment purposes, Yeah, this show is over. I'm hearing the music. But before we get out of here, let's thank our wonderful advertisers that keep this podcast going. That's season eleven, episode two. That being Superior Pest Control being a logic conference and events, Renalton An Insurance Group, the back of our girl, keeping the lights nice and bright, thanks to our friends over at Harbor Light Brewing and of course sponsoring the this podcast cast branding, which is available everywhere everywhere. So for mister Biologie chap, he'll beam Harbor Light Bill, I'm brew Grew James saying, thanks for checking out this fine radio show, Splash Podcast. We hope you enjoyed it, and we hope that you join us for another episode next week. See you then, folks, Episode three, Episode three, Episode three coming next week. We'll see it in folks. Cheers five,