Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Depictions Media Radio. Welcome to Policy and Rights the show. Ups. Welcomer Policy, Human Joy, Welcome back to Policy and Race. Here depictions of media Radio. I'm your host, Michael Clogs. So I got or I should say, I've found this real from a person I follow. She's here in Canada and she's speaking about something that Donald Trump was supposed to write an executive order about pharmaceuticals and medication, and he was going to write this executive order that would force all the pharmaceutical companies to cut their prices to the people of the United States by thirty to eighty percent. Okay, there's a couple problems with this one. Between the US and Canada that well nine of medical research is done between the two countries. One of the reasons why between the United States and Canada that we have some of the highest races in pharmaceuticals out there the rest of the countries. What they what what a lot of countries actually do around the world, with the exception of the United States, is they the government buys the medication and then mass distributes it to hospitals and pharmacy and pharmacies. Uh thereafter, Thus forcing the pharmaceutical companies to pay a bulk buy an a bulk rate, which means that whoever this country is gets a massive discount on over and above what Canadians and Americans actually pay. Well, the the issue has been for years, who should actually be paying for this research and shouldn't some of this, the these costs of of of health research be spread around the world. Well, while the United States and Canada team to team to bear to the back of the backbone of that, it has been silently decided that well the citizens of the United States and Canada should also bear the backbone of the cost of all that research. Which case, we usually get the most cutting EDDS research in our in our healthcare to to to begin with, we get it before anybody else in the world has a chance at it. And there are some other reasons of government slowdowns and things like that. But let's get back to Donald Trump and his executive order. Well, I put both posted a comment back to my friend's video. They said, well, one, Donald Trump seems to have forgotten something and that forgivefulness is that the United States has a decentralized federal system. Yes, folks, it is true, Donald Trump can rate all the executive orders they want in each and every state has the right to ignore each and every one of them. Oh but wait, if your pharmaceutical company sits inside of a state that has decided to ignore that executive order, you know I have to pay any attention to it. Kind of interesting that way. But when we go all the way back to the three men who created the United States the Thirteen Colonies, which is Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and John Adams, one of the biggest issues that they had with the crown was how everything had to be centralized. They were at the time, it took almost a month to get a letter to go back and forth. So Parliament was deciding what was happening in the colonies three months months after the fact of something actually happening. So they wanted more immediate action. Well, one of the ways to get that immediate action and to ensure that communication would for a particular territory or state would be more efficient, was to decentralize the federal government so that each and every state could decide on what they needed to do because of their own living conditions. Thus, two hundred is some years later, mister Donald Trump decided that he is going to write an executive order that is broad sweeping and expecting it to be forced across the country by his federal minions or maga people is unconstitutional. It's unconstitutional because one, it is written in the Constitution how each state is supposed to decide its own fate based on what is happening within that state. Each state has its own conditions, there's own living conditions, its own happenings that didn't need to be addressed by that state. Okay, so what he's doing violates what these three men want in place. And as far as parties are concerned, it's like that was the beginning of partisanism right there. These three had to figure it all out. There were some other things that were written into the US Constitution that they want it written into the US Constitution and build into the government. That would eliminate the US Supreme Court. There wouldn't be have There shouldn't have been one, because they didn't want a broad court deciding over the fate the entire country each without having each individual state being able to decide for itself. Mister Trump, if you would have paid attention in physics class, and I should say in Civics class. You would have known this. You would know that. Oh, that's right. I forgot. When Donald Trump is asking about defending the Constitution, He's like, I never took an oath to defend the Constitution. So he doesn't even know that he has that he's supposed to defend the Constitution. He doesn't even acknowledge that really did the document actually even exist? So everything I just said is moved. Anyway, Let's move on. We're going to go back to Canada and uh, we're gonna talk. We're gonna hear from two premiers to the top premiers of the West, shall we say, mister David eb and Danielle Smith. Uh, the premiere of British Columbia and the premiere of Alberta. Okay, Alberta. Hey, their resource drilling literally drilling and mining province. That is their thing. More specifically with their biggest operation in the drilling and mining is the tar Sans, which produces beechamen, which is a form of crude oil develop by steam blasting the tarzans until the oil is actually released. Okay, it does sound like an environmental nightmare. That's what you're thinking, right, It is that Alberta releases tons of carbon into the air every year. Matter of fact that Danielle Smith and her Minister to the Environment have come up with a plant that would actually cap off how much carbon each company would pay for at about ninety five million tons. I believe it was. Let me look that up to be certain. Yeah, they're freezing the price at ninety dollars per ton of emissions. I've kind of got that wrong. Simply simply put that businesses have to be able to operate and believe it or not, as far as the petroleum itself is concerned, the world actually does need it. Everybody concentrates their focus on the petroleum needed to be turned into fuel. But one of the biggest uses of gasoline, yes I did say gasoline. You know that petroleum mixture that we pump into the cars. One of the biggest uses for it is actually creating ny lone polyester fibers. Next biggest use for it before we even get to using it as fuel. Next biggest one is plastic. Different types of plastic resins are developed, again using refined petroleum gasoline, so that we have the plastics that we need to create the things that we have in our society. Yes, take a look at your cell phone. The plastic in it was developed from gasoline. Thus the tarsands is always going to be needed as long as we need to keep creating plastic. It doesn't matter if you're going to try to recycle it or not. It's going to be there. So we need to add, Yes, albert and Nice to control their emissions. They need to make sure that the companies that are actually doing this work are actually controlling their emissions and keeping them down. Yes, absolutely true. And if you ask Danielle Smith, he will tell you that that is absolutely true. If you ask their their Ministry for the Environment, they will again tell you that that is absolutely true. It has to has to stay under control. But and here's the caveat is it also has they have to be able to operate. So there are some things that carbon capture technology. Alberta is one of the front runners in that carbon technology. If we look at China and we look at the sunrise in China, in the all day sun in China, you see this literitybitty dot like it's a forest fire forever happening. That's the sun. If you go to Alberta and you look up in the sky you will see bright sunlight, which means that these companies are acting responsibly, that they are doing what they're supposed to do in order to capture that carbon so it doesn't keep getting released into the air. They are acting as clean as possible. It's dirty work. Okay, so I'm defending the Alberta a little bit. But anyway, the folks Alberta, and you're gonna hear more from the Minister of the Environment for Alberta as she also explains a little bit more about that. So it's dirty work. It needs to it needs to be cleaned up. Yes, the environment that is left behind for with the tarzans does need to be reinhabrable so that, hey we get we have trees being able to grow again. All right. Next announcement that we're gonna hear from from the western provinces, of course, British Columbia, the furthest most western province. And hey, you gotta love British Columbia because they also have control of a large bit of the seaports that actually help traffic goods across Canada. So pretty cool province, uh, Premier Mister David Ebe He's making some announcements and what they're doing. There is a healthcare crisis in the British Columbia, not enough doctors and nurses. Some of that is due to due to the fact that there was a big argument during COVID over well now all the doctors and nurses agreed with the vaccination programs, so they spoke up, they got fired and which created even more of a shortfall than what there was in British Columbia before the pandemic. So now they're trying to catch up. And one of those things that they're not going to do is rehire those who fought against them about the about the vaccines to begin with, there's some pros and cons to that. We'll say that for another commentary. But what they are looking to do and what and what they're going to make an announcement about is is they're looking to hire nurses and recruit nurses from the United States to come to British Columbia and help shore up that shortfall of nurses. Which that's a pretty good program because to become a nurse, well, I'm a former engineer and in the nineteen eighties when I got my degree, I had a debt load of over a quarter of a million dollars for it. So nursing is a science degree, and like all other science degrees, it comes with a boatload of debt. And so recruiting nurses from the United States and offering them a way to get a job right away so that they can start paying off that huge amount of debt is a great idea. So we're gonna hear hear that. And we're also going to hear from a nurse from the United States as she's talking about some of the benefits that it would have to both the United States nursing programs as well as British Columbia healthcare system, that there would be a larger supply of nurses to come in. The next thing, I would hope to see that they would do the same thing for doctors to get more people into the system. And let's face it, the way things are going with the United States and Donald Trump, who doesn't seem to understand the do no harm of the hippocratic o, and it keeps putting up walls and rope blocks that would disable the doctor to stop from doing harm. They would leave doctors facing criminal charges for issues around women's healthcare, especially First Columby is a great place. Come on, guys, come up here, be a real doctor, be a real nurse, really help people, be on the cutting edge, and welcome to Canada. So anyway, let's go ahead and listen to what both premiers and their guests actually had to say as they make the announcements about hey, finding finding a new new source for nurses from the United States and ensuring that the environment of Canada stays as clean as possible.
Speaker 2: Good morning, everyone, and thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 3: My name is Sizzy Chanton.
Speaker 2: I'm BC's Parliamentary Secretary for Senior Services and Long Term Care, and before we begin this morning, I would like to acknowledge with respect the history, customs and culture of the Lacongan people known today as the song Gees and as Quimalt nations on whose traditional lands and home we meet today. It's great to see so many people here in support of today's announcement, and I'd like to take a moment to introduce our special guest today, David Ebe, Premier of BC, Josie Osborne, Minister of Health, Rachel Taylor's Rachel Smith Taylor, nurse from who is joining us today virtually Louise Ertz, acting Registrar and CEO, and the BC College of Nurses and Midwives, Doctor Melissa Duff, the Family Physician Board Chair, Victoria Division of Family Practice. I also note that Minister Gibson and Mayor also are here in our group. So without further ado, I would like to invite Premier David eb to the podium to make an exciting announcement.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thanks Susie.
Speaker 4: It's great to see everybody, and really nice to see you, Mayor Alto, and congratulations to Victoria for such a beautiful clinic here supporting so many people. Mister Osborne will be going into some detail about the clinic, but I just want to congratulate everyone who's involved in this. Doors opened about a year ago and they provide critical TEAMV team based care supporting family physicians in delivering care to British Columbians. Really glad for the work that happens here. What I am going to speak to about, though, is something a little bit different. It's about how we get the doctors and nurses to be able to staff places like this. Hospitals and healthcare sites across the province and one of the big opportunities that we've seen is recruiting health professionals from the United States. The uncertainty that's currently a president in the United States related to the Trump administration presents a significant opportunity for British Columbia in an array of areas to recruit Americans, but particularly in the healthcare sector. We believe that by recruiting American healthcare workers into our system, they're able to hit the ground running with their experience and a system that's very similar to ours, and they'll help less in our goal of delivering more care to more British Columbians faster. Now. Some of the factors that are driving increased interest in British Columbia that we're seeing include, we believe our commitment and our support for science and the evidence that science directs us to around everything from healthcare to climate change. That we are jurisdiction that respects reproductive rights and acts to protect reproductive rights for British Columbians, and then we take care of people regardless of how much money they have through our universal public healthcare system. So these are proud and competitive advantages for us, and it is driving interest from American healthcare professionals, and we have some increased evidence for that. Just in early April, we made significant changes to how American trained nurses are able to get to work in British Columbia, cutting the weight for nurses from up to four months to a matter of days being able to get to work here in the province. Since that early April implementation date, we have seen some significant impacts. Applications from US trained nurses to British Columbia are up one hundred and twenty seven percent. One hundred and seventy seven nurses have applied since the implementation of this new program, and one hundred and thirteen have been granted registrations already. Since March, just before the implementation of this new program, we've had twelve hundred doctors, nurses, and allied health professionals that have expressed interest in working in British Columbia. It could be attending a webinar or accessing information about how to apply to work here. We're going to continue to ramp up these recruitment efforts, including direct ad campaigns down the West coast of the United States through Oregon, Washington, and select cities in California. Our goal is to ensure that we're not missing this opportunity to ensure that we're strengthening our healthcare system for all British Columbians. This recent development in relation to nurses builds on work that we've already done to recruit internationally trained health professionals. We have recruited over nineteen hundred international medical graduates that have registered in the province between January twenty twenty three to April twenty twenty five, and over sixteen hundred internationally educated nurses have registered from January twenty twenty three to the end of last year. Over the last two years, we've added one thousand new family doctors, connecting hundreds of thousands of British Columbians to the primary care that they need. Now, we know there's a lot more to do, but we also know that there's an opportunity here to really ensure that people get the care that they need. We're continuing our efforts to recruit and retain and train healthcare professionals, including at the new Medical School at SFU Surrey. My message to Americans who are watching this, it's very straightforward. In British Columbia, you will be valued, your principles will be respected, and you will have the opportunity to provide care to people, not based on how much they earn, but based on the level of care that they need. You will be part of building healthy communities in the best place on Earth, and you are very welcome here. I say, just briefly, President Trump's loss is British Columbia's gain. With that, I'm going to pass things back to Parlimentary Secretary Chant.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Premiere Ebe. What an amazing way to commemorate National Nursing Week.
Speaker 3: And International Nurses Day.
Speaker 2: As a registered nurse myself, I know the dedication and invaluable contributions that nurses bring to our healthcare system, and I'm thrilled to see that all the US trained and certified nurses, nurse practitioners, doctors and aled health workers that are interested in coming to British Columbia. Next, I'd like to invite Minister Josie Osborne to the podium.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, Susie. Thank you to everybody for having us in this beautiful space. It's great to see everybody out with us, and I totally agree with Susie, this is a terrific announcement to be talking about during National Nurse Week and International Nurses Day. So you've heard from Premiere EB about the progress that we've made even in this past month since April fourth, and it's so exciting to see. Streamlining the registration process is indeed going to help us strengthen our publicly funded healthcare system here in BC. And like Premier EB said, what used to take on average four months is now done in just.
Speaker 6: A few days.
Speaker 5: Having a US based nurse come to British Columbia and receive the license to be able to practice here. It's a huge win for all of the nurses out there who've been dreaming of building a.
Speaker 6: Life here in BC. And it's a huge win.
Speaker 5: For patients and communities across British Columbia as well. But it's not all. We are working closely with health authorities, with the regulatory colleges, with health Match BC and other partners, with a real team BC approach to this. We're going to support U trained healthcare providers through a dedicated set of webinars, a place where they can learn more about living and practicing in BC, the steps that people need to take to move here, to live here, to raise their families here and be part of our public healthcare system. So we are guiding them step by step, and that means credentialing and immigration, and it's so important that they feel welcomed and supported in every step of that process. We're soon launching a marketing campaign and we will be marketing in Washington and Oregon and California, letting people know about what the opportunities are here in BC. And this is just the kind of bold and solutions based actions that our province is taking, and we're really proud to be leading the way. For the nurses who arrive here in British Columbia. The opportunities are just tremendous. They are able to care for patients throughout our province and in a really wide variety of settings, so whether it's a hospital or long term care home or health clinic. One example is where we're standing right now, and that's the Victoria Primary Care Network Allied Health Center, a center which opened in this location on April twenty fourth. It is a terrific example of our team based primary care strategy which we launched in twenty eighteen for healthcare professionals here in Victoria who are part of the Victoria Primary Care Network. It means they are part of a team where they can use their skills to provide the highest level of care to people.
Speaker 3: In the region.
Speaker 5: For patients, it means a more comprehensive and wrap around a set of healthcare supports, better support for these people. It is very clear to us that US professionals are looking for something better and here in British Columbia we are offering just that. So together, it's part of building a better healthcare future and we can't wait for all the nurses out there to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, back Team City, Thank you so much, Minister Osborne. The TMBC approach that we've been taking is so important because it leverages the expertise of everyone so we can better support the healthcare workers who've made the decision to move over here. Nurses will be supported from licensing, through immigration and recruitment. Thank you to Premier eb and Minister Osborne for their leadership in these bold efforts. To talk a little bit more from a nurse's perspective, we have Rachel Smith Taylor joining us from the US via zoom.
Speaker 7: Good afternoon, everyone, and thank you for the opportunity to share my experience. Recently, I had the pleasure of visiting Nanaimo, British Columbia, where I was deeply moved by the community's warmth and hospitality. From the moment we arrived. Locals eagerly welcomed us, offering to show us around, showing us sites about the area, and even providing rights to me and my partner while we were there. The staff at Nanaimo Regional medic Regional General Hospital were equally gracious, offering us informed tours and sharing their dedication to their patient care. The experience reinforced my aspiration to contribute to Canada's healthcare system. As a registered nurse and as an internationally educated nurse from the United States, I'm actively pursuing licensure through the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives. I'm encouraged by the province's initiatives to streamline this process, including the financial support for credentialing assessments and bridging programs. My goal is to bring skills and dedication to British Columbia's health care sector, supporting communities like Nanaimo, and I look forward to the opportunity to serve and grow within Canada's dynamic health care environment, and I am deeply blessed to have had this opportunity to share my experience with you all.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Rachel. I'm so happy to see your excitement to come and work in our province. Next, I'd like to invite Louise Ertz to the podium.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Parliamentary Secretary, and thank you to Minister Osborne for inviting me to this great event. It's also wonderful to have Premier MeV with us today. I'd like to begin by respectfully acknowledging the land on which we gather as the traditional territory of the Lagonkans people known today as the Esquimalt and Song these nations. I give thanks to this territory and recognize that the laws, governance and medicines of these lands and waters have existed here for over nine thousand years. As a representative for a provincial regulator, I also acknowledge and affirm the inherent rights to health and wellness held by all First Nations, Innui and Mayti people. BCCNM has worked collaboratively with the government and other partners for several years now to improve the application process for internationally educated nurses. It's a complex process, but in this case, a simple solution has created a big impact. By focusing on the similarities between nursing in Canada and the US, things like education, scope of practice, regulatory exams, and by leveraging an existing system, we've streamlined the application process for American nurses without sacrificing patient safety. Before this, we needed other nursing regulators and credentialing agencies to confirm a US nurse's registration history and education, which often resulted in delays. But through collaboration with our US counterparts, we can now confirm this information through nurses a licensure database that gives us the information we need when we need it. This change has expedited registration decisions as has been shared, but maintains the safeguards to ensure that a nurse can practice safely and competently. In BC. It's a win for applicants and for British Columbia. I'd like to thank the Ministry for their partnership in this important work and we look forward to continuing to collaborate ensuring we have a strong, competent nursing workforce in BC.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Louise, and thank you to the BC College of Nurses and Midwives for making it easier and faster for registered nurses, trained and certified in the US to come to our beautiful province. This is very important work and I'm happy to hear that it's already bringing results. Next, I would like to invite doctor Melissa Duff to speak about this great place where we are today, the Victoria Primary Care Network Allied Health Center.
Speaker 9: Thank you, good afternoon everyone on behalf of the Victoria Division of FE Family Practice Board. I'm excited to see the upgraded Victoria Primary Care Network Allied Health Center fully operational. This is more than just a building. It's a game changer. It secures and expands access to culturally sensitive, patient centered team based care for years to come, and that matters a lot for two key reasons. First, physician led team based care is the future for better patient health outcomes. It helps more patients get the support they need more quickly from the clinician best equipped to help. And second, team based care increases the number of family physicians in our community. It allows family doctors to focus on what we do best, delivering high quality, relationship based medical care. This kind of work setting attracts new family doctors and most importantly, it helps them stay. This upgraded center expands access to team based care by accommodating and attract acting the Allied Health professionals we need on the Victoria Primary Care Network team. It's a big win for patients, physicians, clinicians, and.
Speaker 6: Our entire community.
Speaker 9: We're deeply grateful to everyone who helped bring our shared vision of sustainable team based care to life. This milestone is a testament to the power of physician led innovation within a strong community of practice, all made possible through meaningful partnerships and trusted community relationships. We look forward to continuing to work together to advance primary care in Victoria.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Wonderful applause, and thank you doctor Duff, and thank you so much for hosting us in this beautiful health center. The expanded Allied Health Center strengthens team based care and is tailored.
Speaker 3: To the needs of the community.
Speaker 2: This is a win for our medical professionals who can do the job that they are best trained for, and for the patients in their communities. Thank you to everyone for joining us today and Premier Ebe and Minister Osborne will now take questions.
Speaker 10: Thank you to everyone for joining us today. Just a reminder to all reporters on the line to press Star one to enter the key. We're going to start with one question in one follow up from reporters in the room, Richard Sussman, Global News.
Speaker 11: Premier, you've mentioned the number of people who have shown interest in coming to British Columbia. Do you have any numbers on exactly how many Americans have been hired so far to work in our system? And have there been any concerns raised about salary matching. A lot's been made that in the US healthcare system, a for profit system, that doctors and nurses can often make more money than they would make here, especially with the dollar. Have there been any concerns raised around ensuring that you can find a salary that works.
Speaker 4: Thanks Richard, We have someone that has specific numbers in the Okay, we'll have to get you those specific numbers, Richard. On the number of Americans in the system. The numbers that we have are for people who have applied to be able to practice here. Since the big changes in April which I've indicated are up one hundred and twenty seven percent over her previous numbers. The overall interest that we're seeing from Americans coming to practice in British Columbia is the ability to practice in universal healthcare system, the ability to match lifestyle that they're looking for in more rural communities, often an outdoor lifestyle. When I was in Grand Forks, one of the big attractors for healthcare workers to come to work in Grand Forks was mountain biking, for example, and skiing and other types of lifestyle attractions here in British Columbia. And so what we're seeing is Americans making that decision about how to balance the life that they want to live and where they want to live with the work that they do and the impact they have in community. And for many Americans, the balance is coming up that they want to move to British Columbia.
Speaker 10: Do you have a follow up?
Speaker 11: Prime Minister Carney will be unveiling a cabinet tomorrow morning. He's probably already made his selections. But if you were to give him advice, what would you like to see on behalf of British Columbians.
Speaker 4: Well, it's certainly an important, critical job of the Prime Minister to choose a cabinet that's going to advance his agenda. For British Columbia's agenda. What we see is that our province has the capacity to be the economic engine for Canada, for the vision that the Prime Minister has of a Canada that stands on our own two feet, that's less dependent on the United States. You know, our ports phase two thirds of the world's population. We have the critical minerals, we have the energy that can really drive this. We have the cheap electricity and the clean low carbon products the world is looking for, and we have amazing people here. The critical piece for us is that there are cabinet ministers around the table who understand that, who are coming from British Columbia, who understand both the challenges and the opportunities that this province represents, and will enable the Prime Minister to realize his vision by seeing and understanding how critical British Columbia to that vision of Canada.
Speaker 10: Katie DeRosa, CBC.
Speaker 12: You said the registration process is now down to four days, But what's the timeline for when those nurses and doctors would actually arrive and why does the pressurelease largely focuses on the number of nurses, but is it not the same for physicians. It seems like there's less focus on physicians or are you having less traction on that side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, today's announcement is about the work that we've done with the College of Nurses and Midwives to be able to accelerate that process for registered nurses and other types of nurses in the province, and work that they've done around triple tracking so you can be assessed about being a registered nurse and an LPN and a healthcare assistant assists with international nurses. But the work that's really showing the traction is this fast tracking around Americans. Because of the very similar system. We're doing similar work with the College of Physicians and Surgeons. We're going to have more to share about that work that we've been doing with the College separate from today's announcement. I don't know if the Minister has anything specifical she wants to add about that in terms of I don't know if our representative from the College has anking to share about the actual experience of nurses coming up and when they get to work versus when they register. I don't know you're able to Okay, I mean really, once you're registered, you're able to practice here in British Columbia, and so that just means the only decisions you have to make is where you're going to work and how to get yourself and your family up here.
Speaker 13: Well, good morning everyone, and thank you for joining us. I'm here today with the Minister of Environment and Protected Areas, Rebecca Schultz, to talk about our important step Alberta is taking to protect our province's economy and help our businesses stay competitive. The current tariffs being imposed by the United States are increasing costs, disrupting supply chains, and creating uncertainty for industry, making it challenging to operate efficiently and stay globally competitive. Our government is committed to supporting Alberta businesses and industry and doing everything we can to ensure they remain competitive across global markets. We will continue to take action to make Alberta one of the most business friendly jurisdictions in North America by removing burdensome red tape, eliminating unnecessary regulations, and keeping taxes low. Our industry from energy to agriculture not only empower our economy, but the wealth that they generate allows us to provide Alberta's with the essential services they rely on, from healthcare to education. That's why it's so important that we listen to industry concerns and help develop a business environment where they can thrive. And what we have heard from industry is that any further increases to the industrial carbon tax past one hundred dollars per ton would be detrimental to their businesses and would diminish their competitiveness in the market. As why today we're announcing that, effective immediately, Alberta is freezing the industrial carbon tax under Alberta's Technology and Innovation Emissions Reduction System or TIER, at ninety five dollars per ton of emissions. This price was set to increase to one hundred and ten dollars per ton next year and continue increasing to one hundred and seventy dollars per ton by twenty thirty. Now, let me be clear, Alberta remains committed to reducing emissions through the development and implementation of new technologies, not unrealistically high taxes, while responsibly powering the world for decades to come. Alberta's Industrial Carbon Tax system TIER has been in place since two thousand and seven. Our approach has reduced emissions in intensity by over twenty two percent and reduced overall emissions by an estimated seven point two percent while production increased by ninety percent.
Speaker 3: We have a reasonable system in place that's.
Speaker 13: Working, but any additional increases passed one hundred dollars per ton will wipe out any of the benefits we've seen. That means fewer jobs for Alberton's, less revenue to invest in our public services, and decreased innovation across our industries. But instead of supporting our industry, Ottawa wants to increase their industrial carbon tax to one hundred and seventy dollars per ton by twenty thirty. Now, if industry told us that any increase passed one hundred dollars per ton would be harmful, you can imagine what one hundred and seventy dollars ton industrial carbon tax would do to our industry. That would be devastating to Alberta's economy. This is yet another example of Ottawa overstepping into our provincial jurisdiction with reckless policies that damage our industry. This is on top of the anti industry and antidevelopment policies passed by Liberal and NDP politicians in Ottawa to cat production landlock Alberta's resources, destroy our reliable and affordable electricity grid, and ultimately to put Alberton's out of work and ruin our economy. With the change in government south of the border, it is essential that we have a reasonable carbon pricing system, not one that will price our industries out of global markets. By freezing Alberta's industrial carbon price, we are acting in the best interest of all Alburtons. We are providing certainty, stability and economic relief to the businesses that contribute so much to all of Canada, and we are supporting the energy producers whose expertise and innovation are quite literally shaping the world's energy future. But this freeze doesn't just benefit our energy industry. It's also agriculture, forestry, petrochemicals, and other industries that make the products the world needs, that contribute so much to our economy and create jobs that enable hard working Albertons to provide for their families.
Speaker 3: We will stand up for.
Speaker 13: Our province, support our industries, and protect Alberta's Alberton's livelihoods, but make no mistake. Our government will always do what is right for Alberta no matter what Ottawa says. Thank you, and I'll turn it over to Minister Rebecca Schultz to provide more details.
Speaker 14: Thank you very much, Premier. The world wants our energy and resources. Energy demand is soaring and countries around the world are seeking the petrochemicals, minerals, timber and other products that we produce every single day. But for the past ten years, our province has faced a tidal wave of anti energy, anti agriculture, and anti resource policies from the federal government. They've added costs, increased delays, and effectively hung a close for business sign on Canada's door, whether for LNG, oil and natural gas, or the many other resources that we are blessed with. For years, this environmental agenda from Ottawa was telling Canadians and Albertans that if they just paid more in taxes and punitive regulations, the tradeoff would be that we're reducing global emissions and helping the environment. Somehow we would be better off as a Canadian economy. Instead, this federal platform delivered a stalled economy and increased costs for everyday Canadians and Canadians have started to ask why while the entirety of our country contributes just one point five percent of global emissions, and yet it wasn't too long ago when we were paying over thirty four percent of the entire world carbon taxes because of this approach, the largest share of any country. As Premier has mentioned many times, it has been a litany of antidevelopment policy that's only made us a less attractive place to invest and sent that capital elsewhere. It's been a long time for Canada to focus on It's been long time for Canada to focus on a common sense approach like we've done through our tier system here in Alberta.
Speaker 6: Of course, the tariffs.
Speaker 14: Imposed by the potential tariffs imposed by the United States are making it even harder for Alberta industries to compete and expand costs. Arising materials are harder to get and more expensive when they arrive. Supply chains, of course, are less predictable, and we are already seeing the impacts companies are delaying hiring, pausing investment, or pushing major capital spending into the future during tough times. Competitiveness is the difference maker our industries, whether they drill mind, manufacture, process or build are among the best and most productive in the world. Cannot risk falling behind, and we cannot continue to put jobs in our economy at risk with the uncertainty of US tariffs coupled with ideological policy. Over the past months, we have been engaging with industry on the future of our tier program. We know that regulation is up in twenty twenty six and we wanted to hear how industry felt about what's working well and what presents a challenge. Certainly, concerns were raised about the impacts of a carbon price reaching over one hundred dollars per ton. That is why effective immediately, we're freezing the industrial carbon price. This will provide a stable, predictable and effective environment for companies to operate and remain competitive. It will also benefit sectors across the economy, including agriculture, forestry and manufacturing, helping reduce costs, grow industries.
Speaker 6: And of course keep Elburton's working.
Speaker 14: We're keeping Alberta competitive, standing up for our workers or industries and our economy. We are absolutely a leader when it comes to energy and resource development, but also when it comes to emissions reductions. This is our jurisdiction not Autawa's. And if the federal government wants to work together to keep our economy strong, respect the constitution and do the right thing for the environment, they can follow the path forward that has been outlined by the Premiere over the last couple of weeks. Thank you, and we are happy to answer any questions that you may have.
Speaker 15: Awesome, Sure, we'll start off here with questions on the floor. Of course, one question one fall up before making our way to the phones, and i'll see you show of hands from the room. We'll start off with Janet, then go to Shay.
Speaker 1: Our question for the Premier.
Speaker 16: So previously you'd said that you couldn't comment or presuppose any potential referendum question put to the populace. The Alberta Prosperity Project this morning released the question that they intend to move forward with, which is do you agree that the Province of Alberta shall become a sovereign country and cease to be a province of Canada. And so they're waiting until they can get about six hundred thousand matures before pushing forward with the petition.
Speaker 1: So, if any.
Speaker 17: Referendum question has to respect.
Speaker 16: The treatise, would you be willing to put that question on a ballid to.
Speaker 13: Alvertens well, As I mentioned, there is a citizen initiated process. Having people sign up on a website saying that they will ultimately sign a petition is one thing. Getting the physical signatures signed up is another. That's why we have to wait for the process to play out. We haven't yet passed the legislation, and so as the legislation passes, it will be pretty clear what the timeframes are. I know that there are several groups out there that are proposing different timelines different questions, and so I'll wait to see which one garners enough signatures and actually gets a petition campaign going before I would comment on that. But I've made my position clear. I support a sovereign Alberta with any United Canada, and it's my job to see if we can get a new deal with Ottawa so that I can convince more Elbertons to feel the same.
Speaker 16: Whose job is it to determine whether or not a question being put to Alburton's is constitutional or respects the Charter? Is it the government's job to say we don't.
Speaker 1: Think that's a legal question.
Speaker 16: Is it elections Alberta's job.
Speaker 13: Well, I think it was the Supreme Court's job, and so the Supreme Court and their Clarity Act gave some pretty clear ideas about what you needed to do, which prompts a negotiation if something like that was ever to be successful. So I think that the Clarity Act and the constitutional or the court discussion around it gives a pretty clear path that wasn't just to apply to one province. So I think that no one's asking these questions in Quebec, even though they do have the party in Quebecco up pulling higher than anyone else and they've just elected twenty four separatist MPs. So I think that perhaps maybe talking to some of the scholars in Quebec, because they've obviously worked through that and they're much further ahead in the discussion than any other region.
Speaker 15: Awesome, and we'll go to Shay and then Jackie's kind of epibility next.
Speaker 9: Go ahead.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for doing.
Speaker 9: Your questions for the premiere.
Speaker 18: We've heard you talked to earlier today about economic stability and relief. I've heard from some economists who say that any plan for Alberta to separate from Canada is not economically viable. And they fear that investment would flee from this province as a result of that instability. I know you said that your government is not putting forward this referendum yourself, but you are leaving the door open. So are you risking economic stability by.
Speaker 13: Jamizel well we as I said, we support citizen initiated referenda. The whole purpose is to see have a process for citizens to be able to put those questions forward. I would say that would be a question for any of the groups that are leading that because we aren't. We're leading the effort to have a strong and sovereign Alberta within the United Canada, and that.
Speaker 3: Will be what I would be advocating for.
Speaker 18: But by lowering the threshold, you're leaving the door open. And you yourself acknowledged talking with Bashi Capello's last week that you needed to provide an outlet or also could create a new party.
Speaker 5: So therefore, I guess are you.
Speaker 18: Worried about fractures within your own part As a result of this, we're seeing new groups, whether it's the albert Prosperity or the Republicans, saying that they're hearing a lot of support on this I.
Speaker 13: Think single issues should be put on a single question on a ballot if citizens want it to be. Our political party has dozens, if not hundreds of policies, and so I don't intend for the United Conservative Party to become a single issue party. We intend to continue to support their founding documents, which that we are supporting constitutional sovereignty within the United Canada. So once again, I think that those questions are for the various groups that are putting forward the referendum questions.
Speaker 15: Then we'll go to Jack. Then we'll take a couple from the phones before coming back.
Speaker 1: To the room.
Speaker 19: Jack wrote with the Canadian Press, how long is the three us going.
Speaker 13: To be in place?
Speaker 20: Work?
Speaker 1: For now?
Speaker 6: It's indefinite.
Speaker 14: The point is is that when we went out to talk to industry the carbon tax. Of course, industry is feeling the pinch right now. We are in an agreement with the federal government to ensure that we can continue to manage this on behalf of Alberta industry. But the price going above one hundred dollars does make us wildly uncompetitive, which is not a common sense approach at a time like this, where the threats from outside our borders are so great, and the world is looking for Canadian energy right now, for energy security, energy affordability, and of course to meet their environmental goals. So right now we are implementing this freeze and definitely it will likely, as Premier said in her speaking notes, spark a conversation with the federal government. We're hoping that, just as we heard a message about economic growth and nation building throughout the campaign, that this Liberal government is going to take a different approach when it comes to energy production and emissions policy.
Speaker 19: And then as a fall up to that, if I'm not mistaken, like the escalating price was the point of carbon tax schemes, right, Like you're supposed to with the esplating price to incentivize businesses to invest in their own emissions reduction. Freezing the price kind of seems contrary to that, but it also kind of actually, in my head, breeds instability because an indefinite freeze is something that will change, and they knew that businesses knew when the price was escalating, So how was that?
Speaker 13: I would say that the fact that the first action that Prime Minister Mark Carney took was to eliminate the retail carbon tax shows you that that price had gotten too high to bear, and I think that it's reasonable to expect that it's a parallel in the business community that the price has gotten too high to bear. If you have a timeframe of going out to twenty fifty, there's no reason to try to front end loan everything by twenty thirty. That's been foundational to the dispute we're having with the federal government is let's coordinate around a twenty fifty target so that you can have a reasonable time frame to implement technology, develop new solutions, see the retirement of equipment. That's foundationally why we're having the dispute with Ottawa the one to seventy. Could it have been possible if the Americans were following suit. I don't know, but you may have noticed there's a change of direction in the United States since November, which has caused a massive recalibration of everything in Canada. And if we want to be able to compete and integrate with our largest consumer, then we've got to have a reasonable level of increase. So, as you've seen, we're not proposing it goes to zero. We're just proposing that it stays where it is. Well, we have some kind of recalibration about how this is going to impact the business community. What we have heard from the business community is that it's too high. And I think if you look at Quebec's carbon price, Quebecs carbon trading price is lower than this, and so that is also one of the reasons why we're frustrated with the federal approach is that.
Speaker 3: It doesn't apply equally to all of the provinces.
Speaker 13: That was absolutely true on the retail tax and it's certainly true on the industrial pricing as well. So this, I hope will prompt a conversation for us to get in sync with the federal government. That's what we've been asking to do ever since I talked to Markcartney's predecessor, and it was I mentioned this in our first conversation. And it may be as you go forward that there's a tolerance to increase it, but I can tell you I think that the business community has reached its limit. And why does it matter. We're competing for capital with the United States. Those dollars can flow anywhere, and if they if we get too far ahead of where the Americans are, then all of those billions of dollars of investment will not come here and that will impact our economy.
Speaker 15: So thanks Shachran. Take a few questions from the phones now operator. Could you put through our first color please.
Speaker 2: Chris Varco with Calgary Herald.
Speaker 7: Buy.
Speaker 21: These are questions for the Premiere Premier. What would you say to companies like Dow or Air Products or sell that have made and announced investments in the decarbonization projects in this province based on the carbon price going up to one hundred and seventy dollars a carbon price that your government agreed to back in November of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Well, we will talk with them.
Speaker 13: I mean, what I've been noticing is that the price being signed on contracts for differences is eighty six fifty and so that was one of our considerations is that that's kind of the guaranteed price that businesses were anticipating. And so we feel like by being about that, we've got a little bit of a give on that. But I'll turn it over to the minister to see she has anything more to say.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 14: And just last week I met with a number of folks, including Dow, Nova Chemicals and others and signaled that this is the direction we were moving in, given it is a very different time that we're in right now than we were back in twenty two, both in terms of what the federal government was campaigning on at that time. It was a far more activist agenda. We just came out of a federal election where the Prime Minister was campaigning on protecting the Canadian economy and building nation building projects, so that is different. The other is the threats, of course, an uncertainty that we're seeing south of the border, and so those industries understood the decision we were making, again recognizing I think that it's unfair to artificially increase a carbon tax to benefit a small amount of projects and then leave the entire rest of industry in a position where they're oncompetitive that is what freezes out investment. As the Premier said, they understood and did not oppose the direction that we were moving in, and we have been very frank with industry over the last number of months just to address the competitiveness and certainty piece. We didn't want industry facing additional uncertainty at the provincial level, so we've been very transparent about the options we're looking at. The feedback that we've been getting on tier, including freezing this price. It was specifically based on the feedback that industry provided to us.
Speaker 21: And Premier just to follow up on that, What will this do to the province's plans to reach carbon neutrality, to get twenty fifty? What does this do for your own emissions target?
Speaker 13: Well, I hope that it is supportive of it, because that's what we've always said, is that we believe that the price is only one aspect, but the innovation is another aspect. And Minister Schultz has done a tremendous job of supporting a wide variety of projects through.
Speaker 3: Emissions Reduction Alberta.
Speaker 13: That has seeded a number of amazing innovations, including geothermal, doing analysis of small module or nuclear. We've got a direct air capture facility doing pilot projects in central Alberta. She could probably go on and mention many more. So those are the kind of things that I think are going to get to success for us. It also gives us the timeframe to twenty fifty to rekickstart the Pathways project with the new government, and if we can get a decarbonized Bitchumen, I think that that also sends a message to the world about our commitment to that. There's three aspects to that. One is, of course, the carbon capture component. The other part is the deployment of small module or reactors, which is probably ten years out. And then the third kind of last mile approach is having the direct or capture that would allow for us to be able to get whatever missions cannot be abated or captured at source. Those all take time, So I'm feeling pretty optimistic. I mean, I always look back at what was the technology twenty five years ago. I think we were still using I don't think rotary phones had completely been phased out at that point, and look where we are today. So if you give industry enough of a time frame so that they can continue to invest in those step up or stage step improvements, then I think that we have every reason to believe that twenty fifty is achievable. It also allows us to help deploy some of our techno. Remember, another part of our strategy has been to have an export of LNG so that we can displace higher emitting fuels internationally.
Speaker 3: There's been lots of stories that have been done on this.
Speaker 13: I think if we displaced twenty percent of the coal fleet in China with lenng that was the equivalent of what our emissions are for Canada as a whole on an annual basis. So using those arts Article six provisions are really important to us as well. It's a holistic approach and I think it's still achievable, but we have to be working with the federal government on having reasonable timeframes as well as reasonable prices.
Speaker 3: Otherwise you'll end up killing the industry that is going to be able to achieve these investments. Did you have more want to add on that?
Speaker 6: Well, I think Premier you got it exactly right. And Premier was just in Japan. I was in Japan at the beginning of February. And you know, when we are.
Speaker 14: Working with other nations around the world to deliver our safe, affordable, responsibly produced energy, the question is how does your country have such a nonsensical approach to policy.
Speaker 6: Your natural gas will help us as.
Speaker 14: Energy consumers reach our emissions goals, So why would you be capping production and putting such high taxes on your producers. It doesn't make any sense. In fact, I think the question was we know Alberta and BC have lots of natural gas.
Speaker 6: We know that we want it. But where is Canada? What can you do there?
Speaker 14: This doesn't make any sense, and so it would be nonsensical, as Premier said, to take an approach where we're shutting down industry instead of allowing our industry to displace emissions elsewhere around the world.
Speaker 15: Great, thanks, and we'll go to our next caller operator to put them through.
Speaker 6: Please Kevin Orland with Bloomberg News.
Speaker 20: Hi, thanks for taking my questions falling on on Pathways. Have you spoken to them when you were formulating this freeze or is this something that they were pushing for. I mean, that's a project that obviously is more financially viable the higher the carbon price goes, and was actually seeking guarantees of certain all those carbon prices from the federal government. So I'm just curious how you see this move affecting that project, which you just mentioned.
Speaker 13: Well, I think a lot of the Pathways project is going to require a commitment from the federal government to continue to support them in the way that they had intended to under the previous government. They were going to have fifty percent of the capital cost covered contract for differences, we've come forward with our twelve percent refundable tax credit upon completion, and we're looking at ways that we can use our tier approach to be supportive of their goals.
Speaker 3: We still some of the feedback.
Speaker 13: That we got from them is what's shaping this policy today as well, so we know that that tier is going to be an important part of their overall economics on that package. But I would say that the strong indicator that I got was that ninety five dollars was probably the limit?
Speaker 3: Did you want to sure?
Speaker 14: I reached out to Pathways as well as individual companies last and I can tell you overwhelmingly, and this would have been echoed in the letter to the new Prime Minister from a number of companies that we saw come out. I think that was just last week or two weeks ago. That industry values the system that we have here in Alberta. They would love to see Alberta continue to manage this as it is so closely linked with our energy production. We've taken a common sense approach. They're very appreciative and not surprised at all. There's likely more coming more changes to tier based on the feedback we've been gathering. For now, this is a price freeze, but I think that there is very much a real opportunity to ensure that this is still a destination for those capital dollars to come where we can continue to be not only that energy producer, but leader and innovation and technology as well. And so more to come on that in the coming months, But for now, what was unequivocal is that a carbon price too high will just drive away investment and hurt our economy at the worst possible time.
Speaker 20: Thanks and to follow up, I think what we've been seeing is that the alburn of carbon credits are right now trading it around forty dollars per ton, a little bit less even. Can you talk a little bit about why the freeze was necessary when the carbon credits are already so cheap and training so far below where the current carbon price is.
Speaker 14: Again there, well, this is complex in terms of there's also a formula that indicates how many credits and versus how much of a financial obligation companies can use to meet their obligations within the tier system. The complexity is one of the things that we are definitely going to be looking at addressing in the coming months here. But again, the concern was about this escalating carbon price for the last number of years, I would say we have heard growing concern around the increase to one seventy. As Premier mentioned, even the federal government themselves were striking contracts for different agreements at eighty six fifty, and so I think somewhere there the federal government must have known that a carbon price of one hundred and seventy dollars isn't good for anybody, and so we will continue to maintain our competitiveness. But when it comes to the value of carbon credits, again, there are a lot of factors there too, not just the schedule and the allowance of how many credits those companies are able to use, but how many credits are within the system.
Speaker 6: And that's something that's going.
Speaker 14: To be addressed a little bit more so by future policy changes that we make. We just need a little bit more engagement with industry to make sure we would get that right.
Speaker 15: Thanks Minister, and we just have time for one more question today. We're going to come back to the room. Here we'll go to Manuel.
Speaker 17: You said you reached out to that ways to industry. Did you reach out to people or where you're not going to meet your emissions target and felt that this industrial current tax was a good way alverted to meet it submission target.
Speaker 14: Yeah, as I mentioned, I reached out to a number of folks last week and the week before, and largely people were supportive.
Speaker 6: I had one one proponent.
Speaker 14: Say that they would really like to see potentially a carbon price of somewhere from one oh five to one ten. And again my response is this, we can't make the entirety of industry uncompetitive to save one specific project. But then again, I think obviously there are some changes we can make to tier to ensure economics and support for industry on both sides of that equation. Again, we are leaders in emissions reduction. We are proud of our environmental record. Countries around the world see us as that as well, and so instead of punishing our industry, we want to allow them to grow, thrive, continue to increase production and reduce global emissions all at the same time.
Speaker 6: We can do that.
Speaker 14: That's what we're committed to, and we sure hope that Ottawa feels the same way.
Speaker 17: And there was also a way to fund projects and to fund R and D for all these new technologies you mentioned, carbon capture, air culture, whatever. So there will be less money in the pot now that it's not increasing. How do you expect that Alberta will get these two technologies going that can make industry.
Speaker 14: You know, even over the last couple of years, we have streamlined the investments that we're making in TIER to make sure that they are also focused on some of our bigger environmental challenges. Again, the amount of money in the TIER fund has also fluctuated based on whether or not companies choose to meet their obligations through credits or through paying those obligations, and.
Speaker 6: So that fluctuates greatly.
Speaker 14: We've certainly felt that at the Treasury Board table explaining how these fluctuations take place and why they fluctuate so much from one budget year to the next. And so there was already some fluctuation within that I call it the bucket of money that we call TIER, and then use that to reinvest into technology and innovation. In fact, this year we've been able to even increase some of our investments and the calls for proposals that we've been making in partnership with Emission's Production Alberta because there were extra dollars in the fund. And so I think some of that fluctuation is normal. Again, the most important piece has to be economic competitiveness for our industry perfect.
Speaker 15: And that's all the time we have a questions. Thanks everyone for joining us.
Speaker 1: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information