Speaker 1: Something you should go. Something you should know is brought to you by Genesisgoldira dot com. That's also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan. I'm the gold Standard. Learn more and get a free gold and Silver guide at Genesis gooldr dot com. Excited to visit with a very funny stand up comic and therapist. I have Matt Sharp joining me right now, and he's in Michigan, but he's going to be in Sioux Falls coming up on December twenty seventh. Now, Matt being a comic and a therapist, do those things usually go together?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely good, sir. It is fun to see people being able to find joy in life. So when I work with clients with depression, you know, anytime we can find a moment of levity or humor that we can bring some laughter out is always a positive thing. And there's actually a number of therapy intervention interventions that are designed to help clients laugh at some of their own symptoms. Not to make fun of them or not to diminish them, but when I can take a stressor or a source of anxiety and laugh at that a little bit and kind of see myself in a more human way, it's actually incredibly liberating. So yep, therapy and comedy go together all the time.
Speaker 1: Now I want to make sure that we let people know it's not like he's on stage going, oh you should hear about this one crazy dude that comes to my office. It's not that at all.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. I mean, those hippo fines are pretty pretty steep if you're talking about clients in public. But I reserve the right to make fun of people who should be in therapy and are not. They are fair game one percent.
Speaker 1: So a therapist and a stand up comic. But which one came first? Were you a therapist that started comedy or a comedian that started doing therapy.
Speaker 2: Well, on the one hand, professionally, as far as how I get paid, you know, therapy came first. But I've been interested in comedy and been laughing and listening to old comedy records that my parents had ever since I was in sixth grade. So I've always been enjoying comedy and telling funny stories and doing a lot of public speaking with a lot of comedy, all of those things. But as far as professionally stepping on stage with a mic, that therapy came first.
Speaker 1: I think it's a cool combination. Most comics I know actually should see a therapist. Now, I've never seen you do therapy, but i've seen you do comedy, and you do a great job. And I bet you're a good therapist because you're really easy to talk to.
Speaker 2: That is sort of one of the prerequisites for our profession. You know, if people are jerks, the really usually don't make good therapists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose if the therapy session is literally just you telling them, well found the problem, it's you, they probably wouldn't come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I live near I live near Grand Rapids, Michigan, and I will tell the joke occasionally that I want to move my practice to Grand Rapids because they have a section of Grand Rapids called Ghastly Village, which seems like a great place to do therapy. Sit there and tell people, yeah, it is your fault and charge them for that. So so far, I don't think that's gonna work, but that's kind of the goal at some point is to I'm totally kick.
Speaker 1: Or you could just try to convince him there is no problem. I don't know what you're talking about. There's no problem at all.
Speaker 2: No nothing's here, nothing to see here at all, So.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious again. Matt Sharp is a stand up comic. He's from Grand Rapids, Michigan. But he's going to be in Sue Falls on December twenty seventh, and I'm not going to skip over the twenty sixth. He and I get to work together in Royal, Iowa December twenty sixth, So if you have family or friends that live in that area, tell them to come out to that show. But again on Saturday, December twenty seventh in Sue Falls, South Dakota at the Ramata Conference Center. And I actually got a chance to see Matt perform there a little over a month ago. He was there with us, and again you only got to do like ten minutes. But you're a very, very funny guy, and I'm excited to work with you again.
Speaker 2: Oh it's fun and what a great crowd. I mean it was a smaller bunch, but man, we had a great time and the other comics you had lined up for us. And we should probably tell people that these are clean comedy shows, so you can escape from your family or bring them with, whichever you prefer. We'll be in the PG to PG. Thirteen Content rating range. So it'll be a great time. You will need you will not need a shower or anything afterwards. We'll just have a great time laughing together and enjoying some time with family and friends.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing. I think it really works out nicely because people have friends visiting for Christmas. So if you're going to be, you know, entertaining people during Christmas, it's two days after Christmas and Sioux Falls one day after Christmas over in Royal, Iowa. So again, if this is the opportunity to say, hey, let's go out and do some fun stuff, or if you've been entertaining and you're going, oh, sorry, mom, we don't have enough tickets. We're going to have to just go and you guys stay here and take care of things at home.
Speaker 2: We'll be home.
Speaker 1: Don't stay up for us.
Speaker 2: And Mom, if you're listening to this, we'll sneak you a ticket if you want to show up. We're to all these fights again.
Speaker 1: Our guest today Matt Sharp. He is a therapist and a stand up comic and I get to work with him on December twenty sixth in Royal, Iowa. It's a really cool venue. It's called the Great Hall in Royal So again I'm only mentioning that here in Sioux Falls because I know people have family in you know, all over the place. But if you've got family there, if that show is easier to make it to come out on December twenty sixth, and if you are in the Sioux Falls area on December twenty seventh, that's Saturday, come and join us at the the Ramata Conference Center and Matt the stage is set up right now because they've got like a dueling piano show as well, and it's gonna be a little different. We're gonna be doing this like with the stage in the middle, with people all around us. I've never done a show like that.
Speaker 2: We will have a blast with this.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done a show like that where you're in the middle, nurse people surrounding you.
Speaker 2: Oh? Sure, absolutely, it's great fun. You kind of keep turning, make sure no one's trying to sneak up behind you, you know, to heckle you or anything. So no, this is gonna be a great night.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for it, but I also I'm a little concerned because with my horrible ADHD, I don't know where I'm going to be looking and that's gonna be concerning, but we're gonna have some fun. It'll be a darn good time. Two shows again, one in Iowa, so if it works better for you to come to that show. It's on Friday, December twenty sixth at the Great Hall in Royal, Iowa, and then the show and Sue Falls. There's also a silent auction in the room that same night, so we've got like a fundraiser going on and Sue Falls. It's at the Ramata Conference Center and I would love to have you join us on Saturday, December twenty seven. Matt Sharp is our guest. Matt, thanks for chatting with me again today.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a great night. I can't wait to see you. Can't wait to have a lot of fun laughing in Iowa and Sue Falls.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a whole lot of fun. If you'd like tickets to the show and Sue Falls, I've got a link to those tickets at Sue Fallscomedy dot com and you can buy a ticket for fifteen dollars or a pair of tickets for twenty five dollars. There's also a thing for a table, So if you want to bring a bunch of people, all of that at Sue Fallscomedy dot com. And again there's another another show in Royal, Iowa that's on Friday, December twenty sixth. I don't have that on the sux Falls Comedy page because it's far enough away from Sue Falls, but I do have a link on my personal Facebook page Facebook dot com slash Big John Small. I hope to see you at either one of those shows. I think there's gonna be a ton of fun again. All of the details at Facebook dot com slash Big John Small. Something something you should know is brought to you by Genesis gooldira dot com. Put your retirement plan on the gold Standard. Get a free Gold and Silver guide now at Genesis goold ira a dot com