Speaker 1: Judy was boring. Hello, then Judy discovered Chumbucasino dot com. It's my little escape. Now Judy is the life of the party.
Speaker 2: Oh baby, mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 1: WHOA, take it easy, Judy, jump the chumba life. That's for everybody. So go to Chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump Chumpacasino dot com. No burgas necessary weight, We're go hit at my mom eight team loss terms and condition to play.
Speaker 3: Se website for details.
Speaker 4: Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we? Just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's you brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at chumbuck Casino dot com. That's chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: No'll purg necessary Dvoid, where everybody lost in terms of it.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker VTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 6: Good Evening, best selling true crime master Harold Scheckter explores the real life headline making psychos, serial murders, thrill hungry couples, and lady killers who inspired a century of classic films. The necktie murders in Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy Chicago jazz age, Crime of Passion, the fatal hookup in Looking for Mister Goodbar, the high school horrors committed by the costume slasher and scream. These and other cinematic crimes have become part of pop culture history, and each found inspiration and true events that provided the raw material for our greatest blockbusters, indie art films, black comedies, Hollywood classics, and grindhouse horrors. So what's the reality behind Psycho bad Lands? The Hills have eyes a place in the Sun, Arsenic and Old Lace and Dirty Harry. How did such tabloid ready killers as Bonnie and Clyde, body snatchers, Burke and Hare, Texas sniper Charles Whitman, junior nurse slayer, Richard Speck, and Leopold and Loeb exert their power on the public imagination and become the stuff of movie lore. In this collection of revelatory essays, true crime historian Harold Scheckter takes a fascinating trip down the crossroads in fact and fiction to reveal the sensational, real life stories that are more shocking, taboo, and fantastic than even the most imaginative screenwriter can dream up. The book that we're featuring this evening is Ripped from the headlines, the shocking true stories behind the movie's most memorable crimes, with my special guest, journalist and author and historian Harold Scheckter. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for this interview.
Speaker 2: Harold Scheckter, Well, thank you for having leon. Always a pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 6: It's always a great pleasure to speak with you again. Congratulations on this book, incredible rip from the headlines. Let's start off with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very proud of it. Hard book to write in many ways, you know, required double amount of research in a way that I usually do. Yes, had a research both the movies and the crimes based on it. I mean. The premise of the book is that nowadays, or at least up until relatively recently, when you could go to a movie, you would go to a movie and very commonly see a title card at the beginning announcing that it was based on true events or based on a true story. That didn't happen so much in the old days. In fact, it was more common for there to be a disclaimer at the end of the movie saying that any resemblance to real people or real events was purely coincidental. But in fact, during Hollywood's Golden Age and before and after, screenwriters often turned to the newspapers and sensational crimes as the inspiration for their screenplays. And there are a lot of movies ranging from classic films like Anatomy of the Murder and Arsenic and o' Lace to cult films like Toby her Hooper's Eating Alive and The Hills Have and West Cravens The Hills Have Eyes, which you know viewers often don't realize were based on true events. So yeah, so that's what my book does. My book contains looks at forty movies and then recounts the actual crimes that inspired them.
Speaker 6: Right now, one of the kN before we talk about some of the these famous movies and from often books that were bestsellers and then were adapted into movies. And a lot of these movies, the source, the real life criminal source crime source spawns more than one movie. So just briefly tell us a couple of the directors that you were especially covering in this book just because of some of the numbers of movies that they made concerning or at least were inspired by real crimes, but also that you thought were had done some very memorable movies regarding these true life crimes.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Hitchcock appears I think three three times, let's say maybe four times in the book Psycho of course, and maybe we can talk a little bit about how I first got into the subject, which was through Psycho, then Rope, then Frenzy and then Shadow of a Doubt. All all four of those films were inspired by true cases. Other well, Fritz Lang has a couple of movies in there. One Am the great classic m which made Peter Laurie into an international movie star, and a movie called Fury. Actually, I think Fritz Lang has three movies. There's also Uh, You Only Live Once, which was a Frince Fritz Lang production might even be a fourth Mutcher or third. But you know, there are a lot of great directors in their auto premeger For example, the director of Anatomy of a Murder, George Stevens, the great American director who directed one of my all time favorite movies, The Western Shane is in there with a Place in the Sun. So again, you know, rangers from classic movies directed by great ou teur directors to some less great movies, although you know the ones that I cover that are you know more well more less highly regarded, possibly by serious high brassitias. You know, there are still directed by excellent directors. I mean, you know, Wes Craven has two movies in there, The Hills Have Eyes and Scream. Toby Hooper. Yeah, I'm not sure what happened to Toby Hooper. You know, the Texas Chains of Massacre. I regard, as many people do, as this great masterpiece of horror and then his follow up and pretty much all his subsequent movies were kind of disappointing and so anyway, but so yeah, so there's a range of directors in there.
Speaker 6: So as you alluded to tell us about Psycho and how this project, the genesis of this project, and its relation to Psycho in that story and movie, well.
Speaker 2: I mean it was through Psycho and Texas Transa Massacre that I first got into the whole true crime game. I up until that time had been writing books about whatever subject caught my interest at the time, and I was writing a book called Film Tricks It's going back to the late nineteen eighties, which was a history of cinematic special effects, going back to George Melier. This was before the whole CGI revolution, And when I was working on the chapter on horror effects, I came across what was then the relat actively little known fact. It was unknown to me that both Psycho and Texas Chang Saw Massacre, which I regarded and probably still regard as the two greatest horror movies ever made, had both been inspired by a real life case out of ed Geen, the midwestern Wisconsin necrofile. And you know that was very fascinating to me. So I began to research that case, and that became the first of my true crime books, Deviant. And at that time when I published ev And Signs of Lambs hadn't yet come out, And of course Signs of Lambs also threw on the game case and the figure of Buffalo Bill, So in a way, you know, that was my first awareness of this. I was also until my recent retirement after forty two years, I was, as I think you may not, a teacher of America, a professor of American literature at Queen's College, and I was aware that certain classics of American literature, very notably, for example, theodorege Reisers of American Tragedy have been based on real crimes. So, uh, you know that fed into this too, especially since the Dreiser movie then became made into that great, the great George Stevens movie Placed in the Sun, So all those things, you know, the the topic of how real crimes get transformed into different forms of literature and popular entertainment. Uh, you know, it's been with me for a while.
Speaker 6: Right, Let's give the audience an example of this, the movie and then the inspiration with anatomy of a Murder by director Otto Premager James Stewart starring Lee rem Ben Gazera. Tell us a little bit about this lawyer, John D. Vulker, because this is the pivotal person in this entire story, both the end real life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, Vulker had been a lawyer in the Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Uh and uh, you know, he had been writing some books and then got the inspiration to write a fictionalized version of of what was locally a very notorious murder case where he had been the defense attorney. Ah. And the book Anatomy of a Murder became a big best seller and then was transformed into this very powerful and in many ways for the time kind of radical movie because challenged a lot of the censorship restrictions of what was called the Hayes Code at that time. Actually, it's an interesting example of what I kind of alluded to earlier, because Volker claimed that his novel was a work of pure fiction, right, but it followed the details of the true life case so closely. And when the movie came out, both he and Auto Premager got sued by the widow of the victim and the case for the way the movie portrayed the character who is based on her husband, but essentially both the film and the real life case had to do with a tavern keeper who was well. It had to do with an army lieutenant who shoots and kills a tavern keeper because the husband believes, or has been told by his wife that she was raped by the tavern keeper, that the tavern keeper had offered her a ride home. She had been in the tavern by herself, he'd offered her a ride home, and he had brutally raped her, and the husband after making her This is again both in real life and in the book. In the film, which followed the case very closely, the husband, after making her swear in a bible if that's what happened, took his service. Revolver went to the bar and just shut this tavern keeper down, and he believed that he would be exonerated based on what is commonly called the unwritten law, which was supposedly a man a husband is entitled to shoot the man who is his wife. He was promptly informed that there was actually no such thing legally as an unwritten law, and it became again a very very sensational murder trial which Volker got the lieutenant acquitted on the basis of what was called irresistible impulse. And that's what you know, that's what happens in the movies. I mean the movie you know, ads at the end a very surprised kind of Perry Mason like sudden revelation. But anyway, it's terrific movie, as you say, starring Jimmy Stewart as the as the defense attorney, and was the debut film of both Ben Gazzara as the husband and George C. Scott who plays the rather oily prosecuting attorney who is Jimmy Stewart's opponent courtroom opponent, and Lee Remick at her most beautiful as the life. So h and as I said, I mean, one of the interesting things, kind of a landmark film because you know, the Hayes code had held sway over Hollywood for decades. You know, the filmmakers weren't even allowed to use the word pregnant. Uh And the movie was considered to be very very very sexually frank at the time. In fact, so much so that supposedly, and from what I've read it was actually true, James Stewart's father took out advertisements in his local papers urging his neighbors not to see the film because it was indecent. Anyway, any of your listeners who have not seen it, I highly recommend. It's one of the great question dramas of Hollywood.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you're right too that the actual locations were filmed the tavern and Bulker's home and law office in the courthouse where the trial is conducted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Premature insisted on absolute authenticity, So yes, he went to the town in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and shat Lolla location where these events really happened. And the other interesting point about the movie is at the presiding Judge, Joseph Welch, has become this kind of legendary during the annals of American judas prudence, and because he was the man who during the infamous Army McCarthy hearings in the nineteen fifties, you know, finally confronted McCarthy, you know, said very famously, at long last, there have you no decency, which many people regard as the beginning of McCarthy's downfall.
Speaker 6: So that it's an important historic certainly, let's talk about one that it's surprising that it would have I think, at face value would be surprising that it would have a connection to a real life murder whrror, but Arsenic and Old Lace director Frank Capra's classic starring Carry Grant, Peter Lorie, Priscilla Lane, Raymond Massey, this is about us serial killer praying on strangers, well strangers, But this is not about serial killers praying on strangers, but it's about poisoners.
Speaker 2: Well. Art Snake of Old Lace, you know, is considered one of the you know, classic comedies of that era, and it's basically about these sort of dotty old maiden aunts of Carrie Grant who run a kind of boarding house taken elderly you know, elderly men and you know, who are not of the best of health, and then at some point treat them to some poisoned elderberry wine and give them Christian burials in the basement of the house. And you know, it's largely I think because of arsenic Old Lace, that this image of female serial poisoners as or or the image of that kind of poison murder, you know, has taken on this kind of aura some quaint, old fashioned Victorian way of disposing of people. But It was based on the case of a real life female serial poisoner named Amy Archer Gilligan who opened an old age home in Windsor, Connecticut, and you know, began bumping off her her victims. You know, she would collect fees from the family members. I think the charge was around the flat feet around thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing. And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: No, we're not necessarily daly repod. Remember everybody lost the terms conditions of eating pluss.
Speaker 4: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: Are you a fist pumper, a woo, a handclapp or a High Fiver. I kind of like the High five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbu Casino. At chump Casino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prize. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever. At Shumba Casino dot.
Speaker 3: Com, no were necessary Dallypod where everybody lost in terms conditions eighting plus.
Speaker 2: Follows, which was you know, quite a bit of money at that time, or actually, well, I think the flat sea was about one thousand dollars, which was equivalent to thirty thousand dollars today. And then instead of caring for them as promised, she would just poison them and you know, dispose of the bodies or claim that they had died, you know, of natural causes, and you know, she would take their possessions and whatever money they had and so on. But Amy Archer Gilligan was I became very interested in the phenomenon of female serial murder a number of years go when I was researching and writing a book called Fatal about a female, a very prolific female serial killer named Jane Toppin who confessed to thirty one murders at the turn of the twentieth century, and she was regarded. She was listed at one point in kind of Spook of World's Records as America's most prolific serial killer until she was supplanted by John Wayne Gacy. And in researching and writing that book, I you know, up until then, the standard line was that Aileen Warnos had been America's first serial killer. But you know, but I became aware that there had been a great many of these female serial poisoners who had killed way more people than Aleen Warners did. And also I realized, I came to realize that the way these female serial killers murdered their victims was in a way far more sadistic. And let's say, what Aileen ware has did, you know, because Alien warned to have got these guys down, whereas Jane Tappen and other people, you know, would subject their victims to these agonized deaths and sometimes very prolonged agonizing deaths because they wouldn't just kill them, you know, swiftly, they would make them sick and sicker and until they died. So yeah, so I'd become aware of Amy Archer Gilligan as one of America's premiere female serial killers at that point, and it was while doing my research on that subject that I became aware of her connection to the Frank Capra movie. At which I have to say, is you know, again the only case of the book in which your real life sensational murder case got transformed into a beloved comedy.
Speaker 6: Interesting too that when I look and I think other true crime fans will have this as well. They're quite familiar with some of the famous killers in this book and serial killers in this book, but not so much the connection to movies that we've heard of but maybe not have seen, especially who we didn't know there was a connection. You talk about bad Lands, What is the inspiration for the movie with bad Lands starring Martin Sheen Sissy Spasic, who are the inspiration of the movie bad Lands?
Speaker 2: Well, it was one of the very sensational murder cases of the nineteen fifties concerned a guy, a young man named Charlie Starkweather who is a kind of James Dean wannabe and a total sociopath, and his underage fourteen year old girlfriend Caroline Fugate who went on this killing spree in the bad Lands of Nebraska, you know, and it was a huge case. I mean there was, you know, made nationwide headlines, and you know, Starkweather and Fugate have kind of achieved I would say, you know, among crime aficionados something of the legendary status of some of the you know, Bonnie and Clyde for example, you know, they were this uh you know, and and and you know, they've been the basis of a number of movies I mentioned in the book. I mean so so yes. The The Terrence Malickville bad Lands, which is one of the most stunning cinematic debuts in the history of movies, you know, is a real masterpiece. I mean, it stars Charlie Sheen as stark Weather and Sissy Spacek is few get I mean they have you know, they have other names in the film, but it's very closely based on them and follows their crime spree very closely. There's another film, a low budget shocker called The Sadist, which is also based on the stark Weather Foodgate sprint in that movie, although it doesn't match malix film as the work of cinematic art. In a way captures the sociopathic nature of Charlie stark Weather more than Malex film, does you know. Malex film is so beautiful and so aestheticized a little a little dulls the horror of us of what they did. But say, you know, yeah, anyway, yes, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Mm hm. You talk about movies that Dillinger and the crimes of John Dillinger and his infamy inspired, like High Sierra. Tell us about a couple of movies that the crimes of John Dillinger inspired.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, you know there have been a number well High Sierra, you know, with Humphrey Bogard who plays a Dillinger like character. Uh and uh, but you know it's a you know, there are some films like bad Lands or uh Compulsion, let's say, or Anatomy of a Murder that are inspired by true crimes that follow the uh you know, that follow the cases very very closely. Then there are other films like High Sierra, Scream and one or two others that were inspired by these real crimes, but you know, really are very use them as a springboard, you know, to tell a fictional life story. And that's the case of High Sierra. I mean it uses Dillinger, you know, public enemy number one, one of the you know, legendary gangsters of that period. You know, it's a springboard for this film. But but but there were a number, but there have been a number of biopics made about Dillinger. It was a nineteen forty five movie h called Dillinger with Lawrence Chierney, who I was just I was just rewatching Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs. Chierney plays, you know, the who was in charge of the whole thing, you know. Then there was a nineteen seventy two movie Dillinger, which was the directorial debut of John Millius, you know, the very known for these two fisted, red blooded movies like Conan the Barbarian and Red Dawn and who also wrote the screenplay for Apocalypse Now and the Dirty Harry sequel Magnum Force. And in that one, Warren Oates, the late great Warren Oates, plays Dillinger. So recommend that. And then there was a John Sales scripted movie called The Lady in Red, and Roger Corman did one in nineteen ninety five. Dollinger compone. Most recently Michael Mann's publicand Enemies with Johnny deppis Dillingsher. So you know, there again, there have been a number of these films out of well advertise themselves as essentially nonfiction depictions of Dillingsher. But you know what interests me most, as I was saying in the book, were films that, uh, you know, comes a surprise to many people that they were based on real, real criminals. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, One example of that. One example of that is The Hills Have Eyes, which is a horror flick from nineteen seventy seven, directed and written by Wes Craven, and this is two years after what you call the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. A masterpiece of horror, masterpiece, The Hills Have Eyes. This the small group of cannibalistic psychos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how can be.
Speaker 6: Possibly related to a true crime? And what true crime was this related to?
Speaker 2: Well, Okay, this is a little tricky because a lot of questions have been raised about the historical truth of the crime that it was, of the case that it was inspired by. People even now are not entirely sure if it was fact or legend. But Craven was inspired by tales of a supposedly real historical cannibal clan, that lived and operated in Scotland. Let's see, trying to get the exact date. Well, anyway, sometime I believe in the sixteenth century, maybe the seventeenth century. Anyway, quite a long time ago. The leader, which was named Sony sanny Bean, and supposedly this was a you know, a an outlaw family who resided in the wilds of Scotland, and you know, were incestuous and cannibalistic and they were oh, I guess it was. I guess it was towards the latter half of the sixteenth century. You know. They lived in a cave and they would prey on unwary travelers whom they would rob and murder and dismember and consume. And they were finally finally captured and brought to justice, you know, by a small army led by the King of Scotland himself. So that that story has been long reported again going back to the seventeen hundreds as historically factual. Again, recent scholarship has raised serious doubts as to whether Sawny Bean and his cannibal clan really existed. But in any case, that was the that was the story that inspired the Hills Have Eyes, which is yeah, I mean a very grueling horror film about this all American family on a road trip that takes a shortcut, always a bad idea in a horror movie. And you know, and their vehicles break down, their trailer, I guess, breaks down in the desert, and they become set upon by this very very creepy feral family of Colt cannibals. So mm hmm, I think uh, I guess it was remade. Yes, it was definitely remade, Yeah, by the great yeah what's his name? The uh uh, the French guy whose name escapes here right now.
Speaker 6: But yeah, interesting, let's use this as an opportunity, Harold, just to top stuff for a second to talk about our sponsor, which is fab Fit Fun. It's time to customize your fab Fit Fun box for the summer season. My wife Lisa was excited, of course, to receive her fat Fit Summer box and everything she found inside. She especially like the insulated picnic bag from Business and Pleasure and the rediffuser from Solstice and from Myriad the environmental shield energizing cleansing cream. Lisa is always excited to get her new fat Fit Fun box. Every box is curated specifically to each person. Because you select what goes into your box each season, it's the perfect way to treat yourself or someone else get the products you really want when you customize your box online. With most of the items customizable, the boxes sell out fast, so sign up for yours today. Also connect with women throughout the world in fabfit Funds community forum, join a member's only club for cooking or books, or meet new friends to swap products with. Fab fit Fun is a seasonal subscription box with full size beauty, fitness, fashion and lifestyle products. Sign up today to receive your first box and join a community of over one million women who are already obsessed. Use coupon cod coupon code murder for ten dollars off your first box at fabfitfund dot com. It retails for forty nine to ninety nine, but always has a value over two hundred dollars. That's ten dollars off when you use code murder at fabfitfun dot com. Now we talked about a movie that again was as you say. Historians have said that the sunny bean legend may just be just that and not so factual. And then the hills have eyes have very little I guess connection to that actual story. But you include a story of which I found was very very interesting called The Hitchhiker from nineteen fifty three with a woman named Ida Lapino. And you say, the only classic film noir directed by a woman, and this book, this film closely based on a real life serial killer. But it's interesting the research that she did into the case herself can tell us a little bit about how far she went into this actual research for The Hitchhiker.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, just to clarify an earlier mark you made, uh, even though the Sony Bean case again may not be factual, it was still you know, the direct inspiration. The story itself was the direct inspiration for the Hills Allies. So the Hitchhiker, uh so idle A Pino, you know, very very important figure in Hollywood. You know there in in our own time, there's been a lot of renewed interest in female uh directors, of which there were not many uh in Hollywood. Idol Apino, who is also a very well known actress in her own life. Uh, you know, is one of the most prominent female directors. And uh uh So the case that the movie The Hitchhiker is based on Uh, is a guy named a young psycho named Billy Cook, who abducted a couple of guys who are on a you know, on a on a fishing expedition. Uh. And uh, you know, took him on this sort of nightmarish, nightmarish odyssey and you know, committed these various murders along the way, and you know it's finally captured. Uh. In in in researching her movie, Lapino actually visited him when he was when he was in prison. I mean, he was ultimately convicted of kidnap murders of five members of a single of a single family, and ultimately he was executed in nineteen fifty two, but Lapino went so far as to go interview him when he was in prison to get, you know, in trying to make her films as authentic as possible. So anyway, it's a film that I was actually not fully aware of until I began researching my book. And it's definitely you know, I definitely recommend it to your viewers. I mean, the guy who plays the guy who plays the psycho was actually the actor. I don't know if I know. There's a new Perry Mason mini series on HBO. I don't know how many of your listeners recall the great classic Perry Mason series daring Raymond Burr, by the way, also played a great psycho in Alfred Hitchcock's a Window. But the psycho in this movie, the Hitchhiker, is played by the actor Hamilton Berger, who was Raymond Burr's opponent with you know, perennially losing opponent in all the Perry Mason series. So mhm.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about m being a classic nineteen thirty one written by director Fritz Lang, and you as you write and if you said that it made Peter Lorie a star, you said it was possible for Fritz Lang to induce a profound sense of horror in an audience without showing a single image of explicit violence of gore. I thought you were talking about Alfred Hitchcock for a second. But so tell us what a little bit about the movie and why it is considered classic before we talk about the crimes and murders that inspired it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's it's again justifiably regarded as one of the great masterpieces of cinema. It's a German movie. Laurie again became a big star and he was you know, imported to Hollywood, where obviously he turned in some great classic performances. But and the movie is about a pedophiliac serial killer named Beckert, you know, who prays on young children girls. Uh, and uh, his crimes creates such a such public outrage. Uh. You know that the police, you know, begin to stage all these raids on every criminal hangout and they're basically putting all the criminals in Berlin out of business. So the criminals themselves decide, you know, they got to get the police off their backs and find the sky. So he's Beckett is hunted down and ultimately captured by all the you know, criminals and put on a kind of kangaroo trial. Uh, you know, which Laurie does this amazing turn and which you know, he gives this very very famous speech, you know, where it says, you don't know what it's like to be me. I mean, even though his crimes are unspeakable, he manages to generate, you know, a certain amount of sympathy because you see that he's in the grip of this incredible compulsion. But in the beginning of the film, you know, you see, you know, this mother who's in her apartment and all the mothers are waiting for their kids to come home from school. And you see a little girl on her way home from school, and this pudgy, creepy looking man, you know, Peter Laurie, stops her on the street and buys her a balloon and and you know, takes her for ice cream, and you know, meanwhile the mother, you know, that's intercut with the mother becoming increasingly worried and frantic because her little girl hasn't arrived home yet, you know. And then there's this there's this cut to you know, the balloon just you know, being caught in some electric wires or telephone wires. You know. You see, oh, you see first you see h you see the little girl, her name is Elsie. He's bought her a rubber ball, and you see the ball rolling out of some shrubbery, you know, and it's clear he's brought her behind the shrubbery to do something awful to her. And then you see her balloon tangled up in these up in these telephone wires, and you know, the whole impact is shattering, you know, because again you know, often as the greatest you know, filmmakers often know you know, leaving something to the viewer's imagination, you know, can cause you know, more of a more it's going to have a more unsettling effect, you know, then showing some graphic violins. So yeah, I mean it's an amazing film. And it was based on inspired by the crimes of one of the most notorious what they we call them now serial killers. Back then they called them, well, they call them lust murderers in twentieth century history. A gunnamed Peter Curtin, who was an extreme sadist from youth. Partly he had been schooled in sadism by this depraved neighbor of his, you know, who taught him how to derive sexual pleasure from torturing animals and so on. And he trayed on men, women, children, animals. You know, he got off, particularly on drinking their blood. He was known as a vampire of Dusseldorf. He was actually the one inspiration for America's one of America's most heinous serial kills, Albert Fish. Albert Fish, you know, cut out and saved articles about curtain. One of the interesting things I found in researching the Curtain case was that the term serial murderer was first used in connection with the Curtain Case in the nineteen thirties. You know, for a long time Robert Wrestler of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit, claimed credit for coining the phrase serial killer, you know, and then earlier instances were found in some British publications going back to the nineteen sixties. But when I was researching the Curtain Case, I found that the head of the Berlin Homicide Division used the term Syrian mortar serial murderer to describe Hurtin. So as far as I know, that's the earliest use of the terms.
Speaker 6: And that's probably in the thirties. As you write, in this case, very interesting pravity of this vampire of Dusseldorf. Though you do talk about his childhood. It's not only the influence of the neighbor, but also the parents' life and again seeing his parents have sex and thirteen kids in a one room home, so horrendous upbringing. But they were able to get information from from Curtin himself, some kind of insight into the crimes he did, which was unprecedented at the time, obviously, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I mean he spoke very very very freely about you know, about his crimes. He also compared himself to Jack the Ripper. Just a quote from the book He's you know, Curtin said, you know, he said, the main thing for me was to see blood. You know, when he would slick the throats of some of his young victims, he said, the sound of blood when I cut her throat made me ejaculate. They stabbed her throat and drank the blood that cushed out. So yeah, you know, he even at one point, such was his incredibly depraved appetite that one time he was strolling through a duseledolf park and came upon a sleeping swan and cut off its head, and a drack ejaculated while drinking the blood as it pumped from the swan's neck stump.
Speaker 6: Yeah, incredible. You write about a movie that was Monsieur Verdeaux in nineteen forty seven, directed and written by Charlie Chaplin. Surprisingly boot story of blue Beard, and this was inspired by just a Mother Goose tales from Charles Perraut. Tell us what tell us a little bit about the inspiration for this, Henry Landrew, Well, the.
Speaker 2: Perout connection is that's a classic fairy tale blue Beard, which is about a young woman who is kind of forced into marrying this creepy aristocrat who has a blue beard, is taken to his castle and excuse me. Soon afterwards, he goes on a trip and gives her the keys. Says, she has free run of the castle, and these are the keys to every room, but there's one room you're not allowed to go into. And of course, when he's gone, her curiosity gets the best of her. She enters the room discovers, to her horror that's full of the dismembered body parts of all his previous lives. It's a very, very gruesome fairy tale. I mean, there are other fairy tales and folks stories of that type around the world. Folklorus collum bloody chamber stories are forbidden chamber stories. Anyway, in Western culture, blue Beard is the most famous, and the term blue beard has come to be applied to a certain kind of serial killer, men who marry a succession of wives and then and then murdered them. I'm actually in the process of researching the case of a very infamous American bluebeard named Johann haw So. In France, on rie Land Drew was probably their most famous bluebeard killer. He was actually quite a bizarre looking guy who operated after in the aftermath of the World War One, you know, in which the male young male population of Western Europe was totally decimated, you know, leaving countless widows. And land Drew again, who, in spite of his bizarre appearance, you know, obviously exerted some kind of charm you know, married a series of women and ended up, you know, murdering a bunch of them for their property. So that case, which got a great deal of international coverage, fascinated actually fascinated both Charlie Chaplin and Orson Wells, and uh, you know, the original plan was to make a kind of non fiction movie very directly based on Landrew. But anyway, what what we ended up with was uh Chaplain's comedy, well yeah, comedy in which again Chaplain plays you know, this very very charming uh uh gentlemen who seduces and then murders a bunch of women and ends you know with the courtroom uh scene in which he you know, he makes an impassioned speech in his own defense, in which he sort of justifies his crimes, you know, as being much less heinous than what, you know, than than the world than you know, what the world who's just lived through. I'm in terms of the incredible, you know, incredible destruction and devastation of World War One. You know, he says this is a mass killer. I'm an amateur by comparison, you know, to what to what civilization has done to itself. So right.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about murder on the Orient Express, and this has been filmed three times, I believe, and it's notable, not because of its accuracy and connection to an actual crime and those details, but just that this has been filmed more times. Agatha Christie adaptation filmed the most times. What I found interesting was something far less known. Is Knight of the Hunter in nineteen fifty five with Shelley Winter's Robert Mitcham. And you say, it's one of the most notorious mass murders in world history, yet is barely remembered today. Again another Lonely Hearts type case. Tell us a little bit about this Night of the Hunter in its relation to relation to the true crime that inspired it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, just to go back for one minute. The reason I cover Murder on the Orange Express it isn't because you know the actual plot of the Agatha Christie. You know, famous murder mystery, you know, in which a murder has been committed on a train, and you know, the great Belgium detective ir Q Poirot solves the crime. You know, he knows obviously one of the you know, one of the passengers must have committed it. But the connection to real life crime is that the murder victim, the backstory of the murder victim was inspired by the very very sensational kidnapping murder of the Charles Lindbergh Son in the nineteen thirties, you know, which many people even now regard as the crime of a twentieth century. So that's the connection there. Well, The Knight of the Hunter again, great masterpiece, directed the only movie directed by the famous actor Charles Lawton, with a screenplay written by the Pulitzer Prize winning author James Age, who also wrote the screenplay for African Queen, the Great John Houston movie with Humphrey Bogar and Kevin Hepburn. So you know, it's about this really scary self proclaimed minister played by Robert Mitchum who has gone around murdering different women, as we learned in the beginning of the film, and then who sets his sights on the widow of a recently executed prisoner who he knows. Prisoner who he shared a cell with, stole a bunch of money which has never been covered. And the Mitcham character knows this money is somehow with the family, so he tracks down the family, marries the widow, Shelley Winters, you know, murders her. Anyway, It's a very stylized, poetic and terrifying movie. And again it was based on a novel and the direct inspiration for the novel. He was not, by any stretch of the imagination, you know, one of the most monstrous mass murderers, but that's how he was advertised in the tabloids of the time. But nevertheless, he was a a guy named Mary Powers, a vacuum cleaner salesman from West Virginia who would well he was. He was also a kind of blue beard killer, although he never actually married as victims, you know, but he would put these uh. He would he would answer ads or place ads to some of these lonely hearts magazines and then lure widows uh to what was really a torture chamber.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He had built inside a garage in a town called Quiet dell and uh and and again he was ultimately you know, ultimately he killed uh, he murdered a number of women, He murdered some of their children, ultimately captured and hanged and uh and again it was a you know, it was an extremely sensational case locally and even nationally. There were ballads and songs created about it. So that became, as I said, the the inspiration for the novel Night of a Hunter, which then got transformed into this classic. Sell them another movie that I your viewer, if your listeners haven't seen it, I very highly recommend.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: It's interesting you write in real life, thirty thousand curiosity seekers overran the murder farm and took everything, everything they could, anything they could get. You write about in this book some of this morbid curiosity in these huge in these huge groups and huge groups of people that want to see and have a souvenir to take home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's you know, that happens wherever there's a so social crime. The book I wrote before this hels the Princess right about the lady Bluebeard Belgunnis have reported Deiana. Yeah, also, tens of thousands of people showed up at her murder farm after her crimes were discovered, and you know, there were again people selling ice cream and peddling postcards and the victims' bodies. Yeah, I mean you find that kind of phenomenon almost every I mean, I'm sure it's one of the reasons. For example, that ed Geanes Towns people burned down his house after his atrocities were discovered, you know, because they knew it's just going to be a tourist attraction. Yeah. I mean virtually every crime that I've written about you have the same phenomenon. I was just writing about a mass murder that happened in Philadelphia in eighteen sixty six, and after that crime was discovered, same thing. You know, on a Sunday, thousands of people, you know, they're running excursion. It was the very outskirts of the city, so they're running special excursion trains out there, and you know, people basically, you know, if they hadn't been stopped by the police, they would have basically taken taken the place apart. You know, people were just taking pieces of wood from the barn where their bodies were found and what kinds of stuff.
Speaker 6: So it's also fascinating you talk about a month after the arrest, the lynch mob surrounded the jailhouse and these lawmen, heavily armed Lahman had to protect him and would take him to another prison hundreds of miles away. The thousands of people storming this And there's a couple of stories in this book at the same thing where a lynch mob overcomes. Yeah, you know, in this case the police the Lahman protected them, but in the other case they were successful. So fascinating response by the public in these stories to these what was by the media made a lot of headway with publication and readership with some of these cases that fascinated the public certainly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, I mean, you know, as I'm sure you know, lynch mobs have been an unfortunate feature of our society, you know, going back a long time. You know, there have been many cases. I mean, you see, like in Western movies all the time, it's a reflection of historical truth, you know, lynch mobs. You know, sheriffs trying to hold off lynch mobs. We're trying to break into the jail, and you know, sometimes lynch mobs succeeded. I mean, one of the movies that I talk about called Fury. Another Fritz Lang movie, you know, is based on a case in which these two kidnapped murderers, you know, we're caught in jailed and you know lynch mob. This is out in California. Lynch mob broke in and you know and lynch them. So so yeah, it's not a not an unusual phenomenon, you know, not to mention all the horrific lynchings that were perpetrated against African Americans.
Speaker 6: Mm hm, we have only touched on a few of again, the forty cases that you have examined in this and and all the movies that were inspired by true crimes, including a Rope. Before I let you go, can we talk about Rope by Alfred Hitchcock, starring James Stewart and Hume Crohne, the partners in partners in murder and like you say, gay lovers was they were gay lovers implied? But tell us about this these I guess first example of what we might call thrill killers.
Speaker 2: Well, Rope. There have been several movies inspired by this case. The one that sticks closest to the fact he's Richard Brooks, Who's compulsion, But they were all inspired, including Rope, by the very very famous nineteen twenties case of Leopold and Loebe, who are these brilliant, very wealthy college age guys lived in Chicago. You know, this is one of the great again crimes of the century, of the twentieth century. They fancied themselves Nietzschean superman, uh, and to prove it to themselves in the world, they were going to commit the perfect crime. So they picked a victim, went out far. They picked a victim at random, turned out to be a fourteen year old named Bobby Franks, who was actually a cousin I can't remember which one I think of, Dicky Loeb, and murdered him and buried his naked body in a culvert outside the city, sent ransom notes to the family. In spite of their belief that they had committed the perfect crime. They were captured within days, and you know, they were sort of it struck. There's a very very powerful chord in the nation at that time, partly because they were seen as the nightmarish incarnations of what the culture at the time called the flaming youth. You know, this ad of control while jazz age kids who just lived for three uh, and they were they pled guilty, so they weren't tried, but they had a long sentencing proceeding and they were represented by the great defender, Clarence Darrow. So their trial, we'll call it, you know again, was covered nationally and internationally. So yeah, I mean, Leopold and Lobe had become you know, kind of entered into the annals of American crime as these you know, kind of quasi mythical characters like Lizzie Borden, and their story has been you know, told various times. Alfred Hitchcock's Rope, which is based on a Broadway play which is based on Leopold and Loeb, is a very interesting film. It's kind of a an experimental film which Hitchcock shot so that it looks as though it was all done in a single take, you know, kind of like the recent movie nineteen seventeen, although this one basically just takes place, you know, inside a single apartment, so you know, it's very very interesting for that reason. And its stars again one of you know, Hitchcock's favorite actors, Jimmy Stewart, as the mentor to the two young thriller killers.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, we didn't get a chance to talk about Shadow of a Doubt, Scream, A Place in the Sun, looking for Mister Goodbar, The Fugitive, Double Indemnity, a classic called Elephant by Gus Van Sant, and Chicago, among some others. But that's for the reader to explore. I want to thank you very much for talking about rip from the headlines, the shocking two stories behind the movies most memory crimes. For people that might want to find out more, is there a website or obviously a Facebook page that they might take a look at more information?
Speaker 2: Well, I do have a Facebook page and a website. Harold Scheckter dot com is a website, tell you the truth. I'm not a Facebook person, and I do have a Facebook page which is overseen and created by a friend of mine. But it's there so people know how to use Facebook. They can go on that. But Harold Scheckter dot com and you know the book, you know, well, now, with so many stores closed, you know, probably the best place for interested buyers to get the book, either in it's a physical form or kindle form is Amazon? Yes?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, is there. Did I see an audiobook version of this as well?
Speaker 2: Already? Yes, there's also a very nice audio version.
Speaker 6: Great fantastic. Well, it's been a pleasure as once again Harold ripped from the headlines the shocking true stories behind the movies most memorable crimes. Fantastic. Congratulations on the book and thank you so much for this interview.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, greating.
Speaker 6: You too, Oh, thank you. Good night.