Speaker 1: Hey, folks, we're recording at Chainlink's smart con and joining me today is Adrian Wall, who is the senior director of US Policy at tron Dow.
Speaker 2: Adrian, great to have.
Speaker 3: You, Thank you, it's great to be here.
Speaker 1: So Adrian, tell us about yourself and what is the tron Dow sure.
Speaker 3: So, as you mentioned, I am the senior director of Policy for TRONDW. What that means is, I'm focused on the policy side of what are those implications whenever we're talking about emerging tech, crypto, stable coin, blockchain, how should legislators be thinking about it? How do they need to be taking that information so that they can turn it into ethical and responsible policy that's also going to be effective, not an easy task. And then how do I bridge that gap between legislators and the public. So it's actually there's quite a bit into it. Tron has been incredible when it comes to wanting to engage with both sides, not just both sides of the aisle from a government perspective, but also both public and policy. So wanting to connect the community and what their needs are with what the legislator should be thinking about on Capitol Hill, right, and when you talk about what is Tron. Tron is one of the world's largest and most prolific blockchains, yep, right, And I think what's and that's both by transaction transaction volume and user base. Sure, And I think what's really interesting about Tron is their governance structure. So it's run as a DOW, a decentralized autonomous organization. And so what that means is the users, those who have the native coin trx, are the ones who are really in control of making decisions when it comes to infrastructure, how spending is down, in security and things like that. So I think it's a it's a fantastic model for what a DOW really should be. And on top of that, the last thing I'll say, it's built for speed, built for efficiency, built for security. So that's why it's one of the most popular in the world.
Speaker 1: The DOW setup is very fascinating and very unique because Tron being you know, one of the blockchains getting a lot of transactions, stable coin transaction so far, having a DOW setup is very different from what everybody else is doing, which is really great, and it gives the community more skin in the game, more ability to have a voice and things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and I think it's a paradigm for what the future ought to look like when you talk about real decentralized models, decentralized finance. This is what we really mean when we refer to those types of terms. So I think tron Is it's always been visionary, It's always been ahead of the curve when it comes to basically setting the tone of what where the industry is going towards. So this is no exception.
Speaker 1: Now, recently I noticed, well I shouldn't say recently, but as far as my introduction into the amount of volume of like tether stable coins on tront, it's been pretty incredible. So it seems like tron Is or tel uses a tront a lot from an issuing standpoint, can tell us a bit about that. And are you working closely with tether or you know, as far as how that's done and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Well, I think the best part about it is it's the market that speaks. It's the users that choose to use tron to do their USDT transactions and why because of the reasons we just mentioned right the now governance is a big part of it. That transparency, that user control, the speed, the low cost the security. All those things are what people want and they find it on the Tron blockchain, So that's it's a very natural and organic. We have a great relationship with the Tether team, but nobody is forcing anybody to do their trans you do use USDT on Tron, nobody's forcing them to do that. It's a choice, sure, and I love that It's a choice people can choose, and so the market decides what is the best way to do things, what is the best product?
Speaker 2: Oh, for sure.
Speaker 1: So as far as use cases, is Tron you know as a blockchain being used for to organization, meeting, coins, NFTs, things like that.
Speaker 2: Can people do all those things on.
Speaker 3: Tron trying can be used for a wide range of applications. In this case, I think you're going to see as we see tokenization start to take off and become more and more mainstream, you're going to see a lot more of those types of transactions on Tron because whether you're doing stable coin or you're doing tokenization, it's the underlying rail that is the same, safe, secure, and low cost, and I think you're going to see a lot of especially if we talk about I love tokenization because it's all about liquidity. It's all about taking real world assets and then putting them on rails, right, and so now we can get really creative. I mean, people are always talking about short term investments, short term instruments, tea bills, tokenizing tea bills, et cetera. But where is traditionally liquidity really hard to find? Real estate for example. Yeah, I saw a little bit of the fine art NFTs. Anywhere where you have traditionally very difficult to find liquidity access, it's perfect for tokenization. And so I think that's where we're going to see a lot of innovation that's exciting.
Speaker 1: And I've noticed a lot of building on TRON, not just in the United States but outside the United States. So trying seems to be very popular in certain markets. You know, tell us a bit about the international strategy and getting and meeting with different folks in different countries to build on TRONT.
Speaker 3: One of the things I love about Tron is that they are very intentional when they think about the needs of their users, right, but at the same time, they want to make sure that the users are the ones that are validating that thought process or those deliberate actions. So they may have these ideas that are very specific to the developing countries in Africa or Southeast Asia or Latin America. The same time, there has to be some thought into the sort of the hyperlocalization that comes along with those each of those geographies. So TRON on one hand is being very deliberate about their expansion strategy, but at the same time, everything comes down to the user base. What are they really looking for And there's a lot of commonality so on the you know, in developing nations. Stable coin is a fantastic way for users to have access to financial markets that they wouldn't normally have. TRON is always talking about banking the unbanked. Sure, yeah, and so I always like to say that financial literacy financial inclusion. I always like to say financial inclusion without financial literacy is a bridge to nowhere. It's access without empowerment and so on TRON there's the opportunity for that access. But through a lot of the initiatives that TRON has, there are so many educational resources out there, and that's another one of the things that I do at TRON as the senior policy director is I'm also working on some of that education con and making sure that everybody has access to understand how to really best leverage these technologies.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, And education is such a core piece because we're so early, you know, it's kind of analogous to the early days of the Internet, where everybody's like, what is the internet?
Speaker 2: How do I use the email? I have to dial up?
Speaker 1: It feels like we're very much here because there's billions of people who don't understand.
Speaker 3: This one hundred percent. And so the way I look at it, on one hand, you can think that's a daunting task. There are a billion people or way more than that, actually, way more they need to learn this. But on the other hand, it's like the sky's the limit at this point, right, and so we have the opportunity to get in at the ground level and offer people an alternative. And not just in developing world, this stuff is really relevant here in the US.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I do a lot of work with without naming names, I do a lot of work with legislators on both sides of the aisle in congressional districts, working with community leaders to make sure that they have the understanding and the education of all these technologies. They can then pass that message on to their community. Members of their community because it's one thing if I were to go in and say, you know, stable coins can help you do this. DeFi can help you do this if you don't have documentation and you don't have access to a bank, here's an alternative. But that message is so much stronger if you get a local community leader. He really understands the pain points and the challenges that they have to go through on a day to day basis, and they can take that material and sort of put it through that kind of lens. That message hits home really hard. And then now you start to see that kind of adoption increase dramatically. In those places where we've done that work, we've seen huge jumps in adoption.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, talk to us about what you're seeing here in the United States, because I mean, this year has been incredible for crypto from a regulation and policy standpoint. We get the Genius Act that passed, you have a favorable environment, and you got the Market Structure Bill in the Senate.
Speaker 2: What are you seeing in DC and what are you hearing now?
Speaker 3: You're talking my language, all right, So let's talk Genius Actor real Q huge incredible momentum that we had getting that pass that was a watershed moment for the industry. It was an easier to tackle, easier topic to tackle because stable coins fundamentally are easier to understand for the legislators, which was a perfect way for them to kind of get their feet wet. We did a lot of work on Capitol Hill, meeting with legislators and their staffers, getting everybody up to speed on the potential and the possibilities. Some took to it like a duck to water. Some needed a little bit more I wouldn't say coaxing, but they need a little bit more help. So we spent a little bit more time in their offers, and then some of them were just meh, Okay, this is not top of mind for me because I've got so many other priorities in my whether it's state or district. Sure, but those meetings were were all there, everybody was listening. Compare that to I'd say, four years ago, even if you got in the door, I mean by the ears were close, ears were shut, eyes were shut, nobody was paying attention. So genius was fantastic. Now clarity, my take on it is a little different to I think most people in the industry. I'm actually quite optimistic that we're going to get Clarity passed this year. Probably not. We're probably looking at Q one Q two of next year. Sure, but I know for a fact that there are legislators on both sides of the Aisle right now as we speak, that are working on this on the Clarity Act, drafting new language to make sure that both sides their concerns are being heard. They're doing it. BIPARTI is in reaching across the aisle in good faith, and that gives me a lot of encouragement. The government shut down, yeah, it didn't help, kind of slowed things down, right, but whereas I think a lot of people are are very pessimistic and they think Clarity is dead, it is not dead at all.
Speaker 2: That is for next year. Absolutely, that's great to hear.
Speaker 1: That is some progress happening despite even government shut down. And boy, if we can have that the latest Q one twenty twenty s or like you said, Q two, that would be amazing. And you know, once that's passed, are you expecting like a boom and innovation and more entrepreneurs and innovators and things like that.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. I mean, people are just lined up waiting for this stuff for this legislation of pass, then the innovation is just going to exponentially skyrocket. It's going to be a hockey stick curve.
Speaker 2: Oh and I.
Speaker 3: Cannot wait for it because even the things that I hear just at conferences like this, I mean there's there are some wildly innovative ideas. I used to think streaming payments was like hot shit, but like, and I don't know if I can say that on here, but I used streaming payments was hot shit. No, man, not at all that that's like that was you know yesterday. If you're still talking streaming payments, I mean you're behind right. These people are taking programmability to the next level, and I think it's incredibly cool what's coming down the pipeline. So, yes, I'm in policy. I should mention that I'm also the managing director of Digital Sovereignty Alliance DSA. For sure, it's a nonprofit based in DC that does the education and advocacy work for crypto for AI a lot of this work that we're doing. Capitol Hill and tront is also a huge supporter of that initiative as well. But I also come from an investment background, and so I've looked at I've spent decades looking at investment opportunities in crypto, in emerging tech, sure, and now the time has never been better than now for really interesting innovative ideas at reasonable valuations. And so it's an exciting time all around for everybody.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: And I mean certainly appreciate all the great work you're doing, DC, because it's so crucial to get these policy makers and the politicians up to speed and what's happening in the potential of this technology and much more. It feels like, you know, the nineties where Bill Clinton and Al Gore and you know they did the right thing and finding the balance not over regulating the Internet, well, letting it flour. Yes, you have to put some guardrails in place, but we know the rest is history and what came out of that.
Speaker 3: Call me crazy, but I think this, I think crypto presents an opportunity to actually repair some of that hostility that you're seeing between the two parties right now. I can't speak for all topics. I mean there's some real rancor out there, right but everyone can get behind the idea of safer, faster, better payment rails. Yeah, and an opportunity to lift people who are in marginalized communities, who are struggling financially to learn a new way of balancing their budgets, of making the financial system work for them.
Speaker 2: Right, everyone can get behind that, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: So I feel like once and they're listening, So both sides of the aisle now, I think this is an area where they can come together.
Speaker 1: And even just a simple fact of you know you, in addition to what you're saying, you can create a lot of jobs and boot you know, help boost the economy.
Speaker 2: It's not just gonna be crypto. It's gonna be AI and other things.
Speaker 1: But if we're at the dawn of the next tech boom, right, like we've seen Web two and then Web one before that, we got to embrace this and open it up so people can work and make money.
Speaker 3: And you know, one hundred percent and to that point, trad fight, get your act together, bro, you know what I mean, fucking get your shit together, and like let's go stop playing defense and stop being a stick in the mud and get on board with like where the rest of the world is going. And and I've seen a lot of it there. I don't want to I don't want to, like shame the entire industry. I am starting to see it's not so much exploration as it was a year ago. It's a trad file was kind of exploring the idea of crypto. Now they're integrating. You're seeing stable coin payments being integrated into mainstream banks. You are seeing DeFi access being integrated on a smaller extent. But you're seeing tokenization. Tokenized deposits is a hot topic now. So I like where that's going. We need more of that.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if you can how much desaers you can share here. But is TRON approaching these institutions who are looking to tokenize and do all these things to try to, you know, be the rail so to speak, for them to build on.
Speaker 3: So I, without going to too much detail, TRON is being very supportive of first policy. Let's get the policy right without kind of getting ahead of ourselves. Sure, because if we don't get that right, any energy we spend going directly to Fi's and saying, hey, you know, we're the blockchain you should use.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's a moot point. Sure.
Speaker 3: And the other thing. As I said at the beginning of this, TRON is fantastic when it comes to letting the user, letting the customer decide what makes the most sense for them. There's no we are putting out what we think is the best product. If I put my Tron hat on, we're putting out what we think is the best product, and it's up to the market to decide whether we made the right choice or not. I think we're going to take that same approach in the US in the development as we have in other places. It's worked out everywhere else. Sure, no reason why it wouldn't work out here.
Speaker 1: It's exciting times, Adrian, and I'm looking forward to the passing of the Market Structure Bill and even future updates are on tron.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining Sure my pleasure anytime.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Uphold, which is a great crypto platform that makes it easy to buy, sell, and stay crypto assets. Uphold has over three hundred plus cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin in all the top all coins, and they offer a crypto staking on over nineteen crypto assets. I've been a user of the platform for many years. They are safe and reliable, they don't commingle or lend out your crypto funds, and they are one hundred percent reserve. You can review their transparency report. Uphold also offers an amazing rewards program where you can earn up to five point two five percent on stable coins. This rewards program also allows you to get twenty four hour early access to new tokens that they list, and to participate, you just simply have to open the app once per month, deposit fifty dollars more per month, and trade fifty dollars once per month. And the stable coins that they support includes Ripples, r L, USD. You can earn up to five percent on that stable coin and five point twenty five percent on USBC.
Speaker 2: So if you do like to learn
Speaker 1: More about Uphold and all the great services they offer, visit the link in the description,