Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 4: Let's I love writing these guys after the show, just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 5: Your attention, your fire? Not a pisson?
Speaker 6: This is world champion, Dodger, world champion being put a small soft time they get up people.
Speaker 7: What they want to.
Speaker 5: Die to in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache one of them. Con this ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 6: Hell, go to the SOUD, grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show. And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 8: We are live at Bush Stadium in Saint Louis as the Dodgers and Cardinals are in a rain delay as we are getting set for first pitch. Dodgers and Cardinals were scheduled to start about ten minutes ago, twelve minutes ago. Ah, and I have to endure here during this rain delay. The Cardinals video board showing highlights of the nineteen eighty five NLCS. Ah, they're upsetting me already here in Saint Louis. They just showed the highlights of Ozzie Smith's home run and gave five of the eighty five NLCS, And they just showed Jack Clark's go ahead home run in the ninth inning off of Tom need and fe were at Dodgers Stadium, the eighty five NLCS ending in six games. After the Dodgers won the first two games of that series at Dodgers Stadium, they went on to lose the next.
Speaker 5: Four to the Cardinals.
Speaker 8: Cardinals would go on to lose the World Series to Mark Gubazob, Brett Saberhagen and George Brett the Kansas City Royals in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 5: And I remind Mark Gubazov this all the time.
Speaker 8: The eighty five Dodgers would have wipe the floor with the eighty five Royals if they got there.
Speaker 5: So I'm upset already.
Speaker 8: Eight six, six, nine to eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number Rain Dela Dodger talk probably for the next hour here live from Bush Stadium, so we do have phone lines open, and you know, coming to Saint Louis, it just reminds you of the rivalry of the Dodgers and Cardinals, and right on Q, as we're starting the show, they show one of my low points as a Los Angeles sports fan growing up in the San Fernando Valley. That NLCS in nineteen eighty five was coming off the heels of my worst Lakers traumatization as a sports fan, when the Celtics beat the Lakers in seven games of the nineteen eighty four NBA Finals, So I had back to back years. In fact, one of my first sports memories was the faux fou fou seventy six ers sweeping the Lakers.
Speaker 5: In the eighty three NBA Finals.
Speaker 8: And our guy Rick Monday in nineteen eighty two reminded me of another interesting Dodgers Giants rivalry. He was standing in right field when Joe Morgan hit his home run to end their season. I'm sorry, Rick, I'm sorry, it's just flooding all back to me right now, growing up in the San Fernando Valley, my first ten years of life. All right, sorry, Rick, Sorry, I'll never forget that. You told me you were standing there because the ball one flew over your head anyway, and also when you come back here, I mean I feel like I have to show up in Saint Louis as long as Clayton Kershaw is still active. And first guy saw on the field at Busch Stadium when I walked down there was Kershaw getting in his drills in the shadow of the arch here at Busch Stadium. And who can forget twenty thirteen and twenty fourteen Carpenter in Game six of the NLCS and Matt Adams ending the NLDS on a walk off home run in twenty fourteen. The Dodgers loane highlight in the last fifteen years over the Cardinals in the postseason was Chris Taylor's walk off home run in the twenty twenty one Wildcard Game. But not too many great memories here at Bush Stadium. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number David Vasse Live at Bush Stadium with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett and our producer engineer Dwayne McDonald, as we are awaiting first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals, the first of three games here in Saint Louis for the Dodgers. They're going up against Sonny Gray tonight and Justin Robleski was called up today to make this start for the Dodgers. So on paper, you would say it's a pitching mismatch with Sonny Gray on the mound. And here's something interesting about Sonny Gray, who you know, I thought was a great pitcher even ten years ago. He just keeps, you know, proving the doubters wrong that he can keep going. And the way he pitches certainly lends itself to his lasting, staying power in.
Speaker 5: A very good way in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 8: Sonny Gray coming into the start tonight's coming off his best start of the season against the Rangers, where he had ten strikeouts. And Sonny Gray and Trek Schouoble hold this distinction that no other pitcher in Major League Baseball holds. They have more starts of six plus scoreless innings this season. Nobody else besides Schooble and Sonny Gray have more. Schooble five Sonny Gray four. So when this game does start, the Dodgers have their hands full with Sonny Gray and tom Y Edman is in the starting lineup tonight, making his first return to Bush Stadium. He gets the start at second base, and many around here in Saint Louis and Bush Stadium are expecting a big standing ovation for Tommy Edman in his first plate appearance tonight when he comes to the plate, So that should be something fun. And we just got a start time here. We just got a text, a text that said start time will be at six thirty Pacific times, So we are getting closer to the official start time here at Bush Stadium as the Dodgers and Cardinals are getting set for first pitch here at Bush Stadium. So in about an hour we will have first pitch. Until then, Dodger Talk live from Bush Stadium with the phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. All right, here's a couple of Dodger updates for you. Because of the weather here, and tonight's not the only day this weekend that we are expecting rain. There is rain in the forecast the next two days as well, and they are both day games. So that does not lend itself to show Hao Tani throwing his weekly live batting practice throwing to hitters. So the Dodgers decided to push it back to Monday when they are in San Diego. Also, Kirby Yates and Michael Kopek are both on the trip with the Dodgers, but they are not going to be activated both during this series. I've been told the Dodgers are expecting to activate Copeck either Tomorrow or Sunday, and the Dodgers are not going to activate Kirby Yates, likely until Monday in San Diego at the earliest.
Speaker 5: But both are going to be active at some point on this.
Speaker 8: Road trip, which is great news for a weary Dodger bullpen to get back not only two relief pitchers, but two relief pitchers that can pitch in high leverage laden games. And Michael Kopek still has not thrown a single pitch this year for the Dodgers. He started the year on the IL and spring training really was not up to speed after pitching through some shoulder arm issues in the postseason last year to help the Dodgers win the World Series. So that's where things are at with Michael Kopek and Kirby Yates. Kopek has certainly been a big part of the Dodger bullpen since they acquired him and Tommy Edmund at the trade deadline last year, and it feels like that could have been the biggest trade made by any team at the deadline last year, a three way trade with the White Sox and Cardinals to be able to acquire Tommy Edman, who went on to win the NLCSMVP for the Dodgers and also played a big shortstop for the Dodgers, part of the reason why they won the World Series, and keik A Hernandez starting in center field. So you look back at the trade deadline, sometimes it's not the biggest names that are acquired, but that trade Kopek and Edmund coming to the Dodgers certainly play a huge role in then winning the World Series last year. Another update with an injured Dodger pitcher Blake Snell. I know everybody was jumping to conclusions that he threw a full bore bullpen session today at Dodger Stadium. Blake is going to rejoin the team in San Diego for his first bullpen session since going on the injured list. What you saw today on Snell's Instagram page was just ten pitches where he was throwing off the mound while the catcher was standing up. But I spoke to Snell actually just a half hour ago, and he told me that he felt good. It felt like the pitches were coming out at about eighty eight ninety miles an hour, and he is still planning on throwing a bullpen session on Tuesday in San Diego. So you're all caught up on the injury updates and wanted to share another story with you, going back to yesterday. I guess I don't know if it's a guilty pleasure or not, but I am a big John Mayer fan. And how many people can say they've been to a John Mayer concert with Kevin Kennedy.
Speaker 5: Rick Monday threw up his hand.
Speaker 8: Have you been to a John Mayer concert with the Skipper Kevin Kennedy?
Speaker 5: No? No, but Rick Monday, you've been to a John Mayer concert? All right? Would you consider John Mayer music a guilty pleasure? Are you very? All right?
Speaker 8: We're all in on John Mayer here in the booth, But I'm a big John Mayer fan, and Rick Monday is as well.
Speaker 5: But I was in the clubhouse getting postgame.
Speaker 8: Interviews while John Mayer and Freddie Freeman were on the field post game yesterday at Dodger Stadium visiting, and there was a photo taken of John Mayer and Freddie Freeman, and you could find it on my ex Twitter page at the real Underscore DV taken by the great Jan o'compo, a part of John Suho's crew at Dodger Stadium. But the story behind it was John Mayer apparently has become a big baseball fan over the course of the last five years, and he really loves to watch Francisco Lindor play. But he has become an enormous Freddie Freeman fan. How could you not the World Series MVP, the walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series last year. So John Mayer came to the Dodger game yesterday and arranged to meet Freddie Freeman after the game yesterday. And John Mayer extended an open invite to Freddy to come to any one of his concerts.
Speaker 5: So that's pretty cool.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's a transcendent moment right there where music and baseball. Two of the biggest stars in music and in baseball meet after the game.
Speaker 5: So that's pretty cool. John Mayer wanted to meet Freddie Freeman after the game yesterday.
Speaker 8: Eight six six nine eight seven two seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back your phone calls, and also the question of whether or not show.
Speaker 5: Hey O Taani should remain in.
Speaker 8: The leadoff spot or be moved down to have more opportunities with runners in scoring position. The crowd goes wild. The tarf is being pulled off here at Bush Stadium. First pitch coming up in just under an hour.
Speaker 5: Right here on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com. Hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David bassaying.
Speaker 5: Right on two and one, Taylor flip all the left d H Taylor home run.
Speaker 8: The Dodgers are walking off to San Francisco.
Speaker 5: They went the wild Card three to one. Here comes Taylor to the plate. They are bothering him. The town is going crazy.
Speaker 8: The Dodgers advance to the National League Division Series with one the mighty swing.
Speaker 5: By Chris Taylor. Never forget Chris Taylor, clutch playoff performer for the Dodgers. There it was the.
Speaker 8: Walk off home run in the wildcard game back in twenty twenty one. I remember that walk off home run distinctly, and I remember that year in twenty twenty one, we were still not allowed in the Dodger clubhouse, so the celebration happened on the field. And when we were waiting for Taylor and the rest of the Dodgers to come out onto the field, I interviewed Juan Soto, who was sitting with Scott Boris behind home plate wearing a Washington Nationals Trey Turner jersey. Remember, Trey and Sodo won the World Series together with the Nationals in twenty nineteen. Sodo was not in the postseason that year with the Padres. I believe or it was right. It was right before he was traded to the Padres. So he was still on the Nationals and he was wearing Trey Turner's Washington Nationals jersey, and he was celebrating rooting on the Dodgers that night, specifically Trey Turners. So there was a great Dodger moment. Against the Saint Louis Cardinals, we are in a rain delay. We're waiting for first pitch to start, and that's going to happen at six thirty Pacific times, So the tarp is coming off and we are going to have pitch between first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals. Justin Robleski against Sonny Gray here in Saint Louis. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Want to remind you that Daniels Jewelis presents the home run forecast.
Speaker 5: Go to AM five seventy. LA sports dot Com used the.
Speaker 8: Keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game. Daniel Jewelers own the dream. All right, let's go out to the phones. Darryl in Pasadena. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Saint Louis.
Speaker 4: Dave, I love your topic. I was gonna talk about Dave Robins, but I think he should be moved down because he has a lot of solo home runs. But again, that's Dave Roberts job that he will look at it, and I guarantee you he will make He will make the best decision to do his best for the team, because I will.
Speaker 5: Ask him about it tomorrow.
Speaker 8: But since we are in a range delay, I thought it was worth bringing up because I did some research. Daryl and many of the analytic people out there say, well, if you have your best hitter hitting lead off, he's going to get a lot more played appearances in a single game. But Darryl, do you know, on average how many more played appearances the leadoff hitter last year of any team in baseball had compared to the number three hitter in Major League Baseball last year? Wy, don't you give me a guess what the disparity was.
Speaker 4: I say about forty nine appearance more a.
Speaker 8: Very close, darrel, only thirty three more played appearances on average? Does a leadoff hitter in Major League Baseball last year have over the number three hitter?
Speaker 5: So you know there is an argument to be made.
Speaker 8: Why not have o'tani come up with more opportunities with runners in scoring position and move Mookie Betts back to the leadoff spot.
Speaker 5: Thanks for the phone call, Darrell, appreciate it.
Speaker 8: And since you brought it up, Yeah, I've been doing some research on all this, and you look at it. Last year in Major League Baseball, the number one hitter, the leadoff hitter, on average, had seventy seven one hundred and forty five played appearances compared to seven hundred and twelve plate appearances by the number three hitter, that's only thirty three. More so, yes, the best hitter in baseball comes up to lead off a game. And look, I'll qualify all this. The Dodgers are number one in offense in every single offensive category, home runs, batting average, all the ones that really matter. So we're really splitting hairs. But it is worth discussing. That's what we do here. So it isn't crazy to believe that a guy with twenty three home runs and thirty seven RBIs maybe would have more opportunities to drive in runs if he was hitting third.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have him hit fourth, but maybe third.
Speaker 8: Because if you look at Aaron Judge, he has a couple of less home runs twenty one home runs, yet he has fifty RBIs, And everybody starts looking at the number eight number nine hitters this year for the Dodgers, with an on base percentage hovering around the two twenties two thirties.
Speaker 5: Well I got news for you.
Speaker 8: If you go back to last year, the number eight and number nine hitters for the Dodgers had an on base percentage of under three hundred then as well, So it's nobody should be blown off. If you bring up this, this question, it's worth discussing. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventies the phone number.
Speaker 5: Let's go out to Lahabra. Eric, you're on Dodger Talk with David basse Hi.
Speaker 4: Eric oh Man.
Speaker 1: The first time I heard that I was gonna be on with you, I said, holy crap, Holy crap, holy crap. But hey, you know what, uh I think Tommy Edmond needs to be on the leadoff spot, switch hitting utility man.
Speaker 4: He needs to be up there.
Speaker 1: Maybe put Oswani second or third, get some runners on for him.
Speaker 8: It's worth talking because you could look at the totality of a season, or you can, you know, look at one singular game. But there's been a lot of times this year where Otani has led off innings and not just the first innings.
Speaker 5: So it is worth discussing.
Speaker 8: And I plan on asking Dave Roberts if there's been a group discussion among himself, Brendan Gomes and Andrew Friedman just constantly reevaluating whether or not it makes sense to have Otani lead off.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Eric.
Speaker 8: You got on and you said, holy crap, holy crap. So I guess that major bucket list day. Let's go out to Irvine. Nick here on Dodger Talk Live from Bush Stadium.
Speaker 2: Hi Nick, heyday, it's been fun.
Speaker 4: You're growth and you are a real pastor now Brown, We're real proud of you, followed your whole career. Listen, I'm here to vent.
Speaker 3: I do not understand why movie I think he is. Nick.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna put.
Speaker 5: You on hold.
Speaker 8: I'm going to put you on hold because your cell is not very good, So get that in order and then we'll put you back on Ray and Georgia.
Speaker 5: You're on rain delay Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Hi, Ray, Hey David a little earlier this this week.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: And uh second, first of all, do you guys ever look at land and Knack on the mound and look like she's going through like a Sunday stroll out there, and his intensity level as a picture, I mean we all have different personalities, but I mean as a competitor and everything. Do you think that that that that the Dodgers look at that and say to said, wow, you know greg Na, I mean, I'm a big Dodger fan, but I mean he was amazing. As a matter of fact, he was called mad dog, but he was so casual on the mound, but he delivered a lot of great results. But does do the Dodgers ever look at that in like with Gonzol and he does the same thing, but he was an all star. About the temperament of the pitcher out on the mound.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's part of what you call makeup for a pitcher. Ray And I've seen a little bit more edge from landon Nak this year than what I saw last year, ironically when he pitched so well. But what landon Nac has got to get better at. And I'm not sure if they're teaching this in the minor leagues or if they're just looking at the radar gun Landon Nac has to become more of a pitcher right now, He's very much of a thrower, and he had no command of his fastball, he had no command of his curveball, and everything was missing up And you can't live that way in the big league. So I asked Dave Roberts, this are these guys getting better when they go down to the minor leagues and when we see them. I really haven't seen that much growth from Landon Nac or Justin Robleski.
Speaker 5: Are they getting better? Who's teaching those guys?
Speaker 8: Mark Pryor and Connor McGinnis are the major league pitch coaches.
Speaker 5: What's going on in the minor leagues?
Speaker 8: What how are those pitching coaches helping them get better?
Speaker 5: Because I don't see it.
Speaker 2: And another thing is that we give up so many runs in the first and second innings, you know, especially the first innings. Are they throwing enough pitches in the bullpen to get ready for the game?
Speaker 5: And that's not that's not part of the equation.
Speaker 8: That's really not It's about becoming pitchers and not throwers, and having some better sense of pitch sequencing, and you know all that stuff and realize that you don't have all the answers. But I would love to see both these guys turn into more pitchers.
Speaker 2: Well maddis I mean the thing about Maddix, You Harley.
Speaker 5: Are over that ray.
Speaker 8: You can't you can't compare Landon Knack to Greg Maddix.
Speaker 2: That pumps out about having you're being able to understand.
Speaker 8: But he's a Hall of famer, he had a feel, he was a great pitch.
Speaker 5: Sure he was, you said, mad Dog.
Speaker 8: They also called him the professor because he was so smart with those Clark Kent glasses. When he wasn't pitching, he was a student of the game. He was next level intelligent when it came to pitching.
Speaker 2: But why isn't that being taught to these kids that are coming.
Speaker 8: You can't teach that, Ray, Ray, You can't teach that.
Speaker 5: That's inherent. You either have it or you don't.
Speaker 8: And that's what separates the great ones from the guys that get shuttled back and forth. That's the reality. Thanks for the phone call, Ray love It. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have three lines open as we are live at Bush Stadium waiting for this game to begin. Game one of a three game series between the Dodgers and Cardinals, Sonny Gray against Justin Robleski. And you look at the Dodgers starting lineup tonight. They got all the real guys in there. Dalton Rushing is catching tonight. That was a little bit of a prize. I know it was a day game yesterday, but first game of a series and they got Dalton Rushing catching instead of their all star catcher who's on another level, Will Smith. But it just shows you that the Dodgers are so intent on keeping Will Smith as fresh as they possibly can for the second half of the season because he has had a dramatic drop off from the first half to the second half each of the last two seasons. The Dodgers starting lineup looks like this tonight. Shoho Tani is going to lead off, Mookie Betts hitting second, Freddie Freeman hitting third, leading the National League in batting average three sixty three. Ta Oscar Hernandez is hitting cleanup months He's hitting the five hole.
Speaker 5: Andy Pajez is hitting sixth.
Speaker 8: Michael Conforto with the big hit yesterday, his first hit with a runner in scoring position since March is hitting seventh. Tommy Edmond returns to Saint Louis, hitting eighth and playing second base, and Dalton Rushing hitting ninth against Sonny Gray. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 5: Let's go out to San Pedro. Rick. You're on Dodger Talk live from Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: Hi, Rick, heyday, Taks taking the call.
Speaker 9: You're working overtime today.
Speaker 2: Huh uh, Tawny leadoff?
Speaker 9: If it works, don't fix it? Number one, Number two I think the days he pitches, when that time comes, I don't like him in the leadoff spot the day he's gonna pitch, I would like him in the two hole.
Speaker 5: And there's reasons make a big difference. Why would that make it?
Speaker 4: I think it does.
Speaker 9: Why Well, because I don't think I don't think you're gonna want him out there trying to steal bases and maybe picking up extra bases. That's a lot of stress. That's a lot of stress, and.
Speaker 8: You're going to put the clamps down on him doing that no matter where he's hitting. When he returns to pitch, that's gonna stop as frequent as you're seeing it.
Speaker 5: When he starts pitching again. Yeah, yeah, it's pitch again.
Speaker 3: Rick.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of former major leaguers that I talked to that are very weary of him pitching, but they understand that o'tani wants to do it. And look, the Dodgers feel like he can be a weapon that nobody else has in the postseason.
Speaker 4: Baseball. You gotta put him.
Speaker 8: Thanks for the phone call, Rick, Sorry you got a bad sell. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have some phone lines rigging out there. We will get to your phone calls in a moment, but the Dodgers and Cardinals are in a holding pattern until first pitch at six thirty. The tarp is off the field, the grounds crew is getting the infield ready, so we are going to have first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals coming up at at six thirty. And look, the Cardinals got off to a great start, but they have cooled off in their last sixteen games. They were actually swept in a doubleheader here yesterday and are just eight and eight in their last sixteen games. And the Dodgers are hoping for the Cardinals to fade because they could be a trade partner at the deadline for a second straight year. Not for Nolan Arenado. Many of you are clamoring for Nolan Arenado still, and look, Nolan's still a really good player. I'm not against Nolan Arenado, but uh, Nolan right now is hitting just two twenty eight with a non base percentage of two ninety six, and his slugging percentage is shockingly at three seventy Nine's sitting sixth in the Cardinals lineup tonight at third base. That's not the guy I was thinking of if the Cardinals do fall out of the race, I'm thinking about their closer Ryan Helsley, who is going to be a very attractive rental at the trade deadline. His contract is up at the end of the year, and he's been one of the best closers in the National League the last couple of years. If the Cardinals are out of the race and they feel like that's it, they are going to trade Ryan Helsley. Also keep in mind, this is final year of John Moseylock being in charge of baseball operations for the Cardinals. They're turning things over to a guy named hem Bloom. Yes that heinm Bloom, the GM that forever will be remembered as the Red Sox GM trading Mookie Bets to the Dodgers. He worked under Andrew Freeman in Tampa Bay. He has taken over the Cardinals after this season. He's been part of their front office the last couple of years, So there is also that layer to all that. He's obviously big into player development, and if he feels and the Cardinals field, they could get a pretty good haul for a high demand closer at the trade deadline.
Speaker 5: Make no mistake about it.
Speaker 8: They will trade him, and they may even trade him in a lateral move if they believe they're in the wildcard race. So we'll see where it goes, but certainly Ryan Helsley is the guy to remember when it comes to who may be traded and who is the most attractive and most demanded cardinal if they fall out of it at the trade deadline. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. This is rain Delay Dodger Talk. David Vasse live at Bush Stadium in Saint Louis getting ready for first pitch, which was supposed.
Speaker 5: To happen at five point fifteen.
Speaker 8: Rain started to happen about two hours ago, and rain has stopped. The tarp is off the field, the ground screw is getting the field ready, and we will have first pitch coming up at the bottom of the hour. We're gonna take our final time out here on rain Delay Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: When we come back.
Speaker 8: More of your phone calls as we get you ready for first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals at six thirty right here on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: On air at AM five seven online at am five to seven LA Sports dot Com and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Masson.
Speaker 8: We are in Arraindola at Busch Stadium in Saint Louis. First pitch has not even been been thrown. Dodgers and Cardinals coming up at the bottom of the hour. Game one of a three game series here at Busch Stadium and also the first of six games on this road trip for the Dodgers. After these three games in Saint Louis, the Dodgers will make their way back to southern California to see the San Diego Padres for the first time since beating them in five games of last year's NLDS. So hope to see you at Petco Parks starting Monday night, and that's where Blake SNeW will throw his first bullpen session before the game on Tuesday. As he makes his way back off the injured list. Blake is feeling a lot better. He's his demeanors changed a lot the last couple of weeks, and that tells me that he is getting real serious about coming back to pitch for the Dodgers. But obviously he can only do so much. You can't just show up and pitch after missing a couple of months. There's going to be some rehab assignments before he does return to the Dodgers, And you can do the math.
Speaker 5: It's not gonna happen in a week. It's not gonna happen in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: If the Dodgers can get snailed back sometime before the All Star Break, that would be a huge victory. Also, you know, I was really excited not only about the Dodgers and Cardinals game tonight, but I also was very excited about our guy, Walker Buehler returning to Yankee Stadium tonight in a Red Sox uniform to pitch for the first time since last year's Game five of the World Series in the Bronx and obviously the hero or one of the heroes of Game five last year, closing out the Yankees. And it did not go as well for Walker Bueller tonight as it did in Game five of last year's World Series. Bueller was knocked out of the game after two innings, giving up seven runs. Gave up a three run home run in the first inning to Jazz Chisholm, so a disappointing night for Walker Bueller as he returned to Yankee Stadium tonight. Five earned runs and two innings of work. Seven runs were scored, and Bueller this year with the Red Sox as an ERA of five eighteen.
Speaker 5: So I'm not happy about that either.
Speaker 8: Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Ernie and Bakersfield. You're on Dodger Talk live from Saint Louis.
Speaker 5: Hi, Ernie.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, you guys doing.
Speaker 5: Hey, Hey, how you doing? Ernie?
Speaker 3: Good? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I said, y'all was calling up.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: I love a level Tony. I love him, but for some reason, I mean, when he misses the ball, he misses the ball. Egg.
Speaker 8: He does not get short changed on any swing, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: Ernie.
Speaker 8: Hey, Ernie, do you remember when the Dodgers single A team was in Bakersfield. They wore the Brooklyn b on their caps, the Bakersfield Dodgers.
Speaker 5: You old enough to remember that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: The Dodgers third base coach. That's as high as he got in the minor leagues Bakersfield.
Speaker 5: He was the shortstop there.
Speaker 8: Now he's one of the best, actually the best third base coach in all of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 5: Let's go out to Bishop. Jeff.
Speaker 8: You're on Dodger Talk Bishop, by the way, Northern California. So are you a Dodger fan in Bishop or are you a Giant fan kind of trolling Dodger Talk, Jeff David.
Speaker 10: I'm a hereditary Giant fan from San Francisco. But I've been living up here for since two o eight, and I love the Dodgers and Manny and Hanley Ramirez and all that. I'm wondering. All right, rich Hill maybe be any help right now?
Speaker 8: He would have been helped. He would have been a help for sure. But Rich Hill actually signed a minor league contract.
Speaker 5: With the Royals.
Speaker 8: The Royals signed rich Hill about three weeks ago, and he's getting ready to help them out. And there's a possibility when the Dodgers are in Kansas City on their next road trip, rich Hill may be wearing a Kansas City Royals jersey.
Speaker 5: He might be on the team. Yeah, I was pitching in the Arizona Fall Leagues.
Speaker 8: He's going on some rehab assignments minor league starts. So yeah, Rich Hill's with the Royals, Jeff. But I love that you remembered America's pitcher. I'm gonna tell him somebody called in asking about him.
Speaker 10: We were always jealous of the Dodgers in San Francisco, and we still.
Speaker 5: Are, of course. I mean, the Dodgers have way more.
Speaker 8: Success on the West Coast than the Giants. Thank you for the phone call. Jeff eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. About three o'clock this afternoon, I had a chance to catch up with Max Munsey. Him and his wife Kelly are putting on a great event next Thursday, June twelfth, to help those that were affected by the wildfires. It's called Uncorked for a Cause. You can get tickets at uncourt for Acause dot com. We caught up with Munsey to talk about that event and also how his season has turned around.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thanks for having me. It's gonna be a fun event. I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 5: Are you a big wine drinker?
Speaker 11: I wouldn't say I'm a huge wine drinker, but you know I enjoy glass every now and then, and especially if Freddy's picking the bottle.
Speaker 7: It's you know, he always gets some good stuff.
Speaker 8: Now, an event like this would intimidate people like me, can you put everybody's minds at ease that you can get in you could support a cause and not feel intimidated by a fancy charity.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, you know, it's kind of everybody and it's it's one of those things where there's gonna be tons of items that are available for auction, you know, and some will be cheaper, some will be a little more expensive, but uh, the only thing to know is that all of the proceeds from that one hundred percent of it are going to help the wildlife relief efforts and or the wildfire relief efforts, and you know, to me, that was the most important thing. Uncork for a Cause reached out to us about, you know, hey, we'd like to do doing a you know, an event with you guys. Is there're a charity you'd like to support, and uh, you know, Kelly immediately kind of looked at me and was like, hey, we could do something to help out, you know, the fire relief stuff.
Speaker 7: And uh, you know, for.
Speaker 11: Us sitting at home, you know during the off season, watching just the pure devastation happen really hit us hard. You know, for us being in LA as long as we've been and you know, seeing how we've become a part of the community. We've built our home there, our kids have grown up there. You know, LA is as much at home to us as anywhere else now at this point, and so to see that kind of devastation was truly heartbreaking to us, and you know, we wanted to find a way to reach out and help and went Uncork for cause, you know, came at us to say, hey we can throw an event. Is there a charity, Like I said, Kelly immediately was like, hey, this is a good opportunity. We should do this, and so we kind of jumped on it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the month sees certainly have been a big part of the La fabric playing for the Dodgers since twenty eighteen, and so many of us want to do so much more, but things like this that present themselves certainly can make a difference.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it really can. And for those that aren't able to attend, there's still a way you can. You know, you can sign up on the website and the items that aren't bought at the event can still be you know, you can still have a chance to you know, get in there even if you're not attending the event. So that way we're you know, we're hoping everything goes and like I said, one hundred scent of the proceeds are going to go to help out people.
Speaker 7: And you know, we got some really cool items. We've got some wine.
Speaker 11: Bottles, we got some bats, some balls with some jerseys, and you know they're all signed by the players, and it's just it's it's gonna be a really fun event, and you know, it's just it'll be a nice night for one to kind of get away from baseball and you know, just enjoy each other's company and you know, do do something them good for the community.
Speaker 8: On Quirk for a Cause dot com is where you can bid on those items and also buy your event tickets for June twelfth.
Speaker 5: It's right around the corner.
Speaker 8: Max Mounsey is our guest, all right, getting away from a great cause and into baseball month. See, you certainly have turned your season around since the.
Speaker 5: Beginning of May.
Speaker 8: Everybody's looking at those eyeglasses sunglasses, but there's gotta be more than just that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, it is hard to deny that I started playing better as soon as I started wearing them. But you know, for me, it was just fine refinding the confidence of myself. You know, you get off to that kind of start and it's tough to deal with, especially at the beginning of the season. You know, threat throughout the course of seven eight months, everyone's going to go through a slump at some point. Unfortunately, I just happened to have one right out of the gate, and that makes it look worse than what it actually is. And you know, I was hitting the ball hard, it just wasn't getting any results for it. And you know, I obviously wasn't having any power numbers. And for a guy like me, that's kind of tough when you know that's what everyone looks for when it comes to me, and you know, finally getting some success with that has you know, really given me, you know, just newfound confidence back in myself. And you know, any positivity you can get in this game goes a long way.
Speaker 8: Everybody talked about the Soto shuffle when you were playing the Mets, but when you were hitting those home runs against the Yankees and Mets, I know when you got your confidence back by the way you just flip your bat and just your demeanor when you get a hold of one. Am I seeing it correctly? The confidence is back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean a couple of those were you know, a little emotional.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 11: I talked about that the second one the other day after the mistake I made. And you know, people always ask me where the bat flips come from, and that's usually it's just the emotion coming out of me at the time. It's never planned. It's just, you know, that's just what comes out. And you know, I'm glad that everyone has fun with it and they enjoy it. And you know, for me, it was always just a thing that you know, we're celebrating a home run. It was never about any you know, anyone on the other side. It's never ever been about that. It's just been about me and the and the teammates, and you know, I try to keep it that way.
Speaker 8: Uncork for a Cause dot com is the website for the great event that the month Sees are hosting on June twelfth. Max Munsey is our guest. Speaking of another teammate, You've been talking about him, other guys have been supporting him, Michael Conforto. How big of a hit was that for him yesterday? And a big win for you guys.
Speaker 7: Oh, it was huge.
Speaker 11: You know, we were all so pumped in the dugout one. It gave us a lead in too. Just for Mikey to get that hit, you know, that's something that can change your season around right there.
Speaker 7: You get a big hit in that situation, and you.
Speaker 11: Know, as I was just talking about, you get a little positivity, a little confidence back in yourself. That can be all the difference you need in the world. You can tinker with mechanics and you know, approaches and anything you want, but if you don't have any confidence in yourself, it's tough. And you know, I don't I'm not speaking for Mikey on that. I don't know what he's been going through. But for me personally, if you're in that moment and you get that big hit, sometimes that changes things for me. When we were in Arizona, I got, you know, the big hitoff Ginkle to kind of tie the game up or get us ononder and closer, and for me that was kind of what started changing things around for me. And so you know, you get a big hit in that moment that can change your season.
Speaker 8: It seemed like for Tanner Scott that tenth inning to set up your heroics, the team's heroics, striking out Soto and Alonso to get you guys to the bottom of the tenth inning. And then yesterday, same thing for a closer. I would imagine it's for everybody. It doesn't matter what your position is. You know, closing is one of the hardest things to do in this game. You have to have a different mindset to be able to do that.
Speaker 11: And you know, for for Tanner those two innings, he looked like the Tanner Scott that we've seen in the past.
Speaker 7: And you know, as I said postgame.
Speaker 11: One of those days, the stuff just from the side just felt like I had a little bit more jump on.
Speaker 7: It felt a little bit crisper.
Speaker 11: And you know, the vela can always say whatever the villa wants, but you can notice things from the side. In the batter's box, the ball just feels different sometimes, and you know, for me, it just looked it looked different coming out of his hand.
Speaker 8: It looked good before I like you go, you talked about the defense. I saw Mookie Betts working with you the other day. How much has Mookie clicked with you as far as the left side of the infield and just what he was showing you.
Speaker 11: Oh, he's been huge, you know, he's been helping me out a bunch. He's just trying to, you know, help me understand things. And we we we bounce ideas, you know, back and forth off of each other. And you know, for Mookie, he had to gain a wealth of knowledge, you know, transferring from the outfield back to shortstop.
Speaker 7: And you know.
Speaker 11: For for him, he feels like getting that wealth of knowledge, he can help spread that to me. And you know, he talks about a lot of stuff that I've never even thought about on defense before.
Speaker 7: And so it's it's he's.
Speaker 11: Been, you know, unbelievably helpful and again he's been trying to help me get my confidence back over there. And you know, it's one of those things where we're out there every single day and we're we're talking, we're communicating, and it's been been amazing having him over there.
Speaker 8: It's amazing to have Max Munsey back for another year. Two time World Series champion. Him and his wife Kelly obviously have their hearts for all those affected by the wildfires, and the event Uncorked for a Cause is on June twelfth to benefit all those and you can get tickets at uncorkfor a Cause dot com. Max thanks a lot.
Speaker 5: For the visit. You know we love you, and uh, we'll have.
Speaker 8: A we'll have a celebration, a happy flight to San Diego after this series in good old Saint Louis, AH.
Speaker 7: It sounds great. Thanks for having me, all right.
Speaker 8: There's Max Muncie doing great things for the community and obviously has turned his season around, trying to get the defense on par with his offense as well. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 5: This is rain delay Dodger talk.
Speaker 8: The sky's got a little darker, but the tarp is off the field. Both teams are warming up. Both starters are warming up in the bullpen. First pitch coming up at the bottom of the hour with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. Sonny Gray on the mound for the Cardinals, their ace going up against Justin Rope.
Speaker 5: Let's go out to Alan in San Diego.
Speaker 8: You're our final caller before we hand things over to Rick and Tim Neverett.
Speaker 5: So make it good. Alan. What do you got?
Speaker 3: I got an idea? I have been thinking, why are we worried about making a part of everyday picture. Why don't we just make him our closer. We're going to lead his bat much longer than his arm.
Speaker 8: I've heard that before. It's not a crazy idea. If he didn't hit, how is he going to warm up in the bullpen to come into the ninth inning if he's due to bat in the half inning before, so it logistically I don't think it works. But if it did, it's a weapon. But that's why it wouldn't work, because if he's coming up in the half inning after he closes the game or before he closes the game out, how is he going to warm up?
Speaker 3: Good point? Good point. I didn't think about that, But I'm more concerned about his bat in our lineup for the next few years in case Mookie step take a step back or you know. I'm just more concerned about his bat. I don't think we're wrong with you to be worried about his arms.
Speaker 8: He's a much better hitter because he's not pitching. He's focused all on hitting here. But it's still impressive. Right alan last weekend he was throwing a live BP and then on Monday he's gonna throw a live VP in San Diego and going to lead off for the Dodgers. What he's even doing at this stage is pretty impressive once a week, and that's how he's.
Speaker 5: Going to pitch.
Speaker 8: He's only going to pitch once a week, and that's why they had the schedule lined up where he does these live BPS every Saturday. It's been pushed to Monday because of the weather. Thanks a lot for calling in. Hope to see you at Petco Park next week.
Speaker 3: Now do be COO. I'll be up at Dodger Stadium on the nineteenth for the Black History Night.
Speaker 8: Hey, that's a great night to be there. Thanks for calling, Alan, appreciate it. Great walk off phone call. We're gonna take our final time out before first pitch as we get ready for the national anthem. Dodgers and Cardinals right around the corner on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: AM five seventy LA Sports. Be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: All love those things.
Speaker 6: Search AM five seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: We're streaming online.
Speaker 6: We stream every game too.
Speaker 5: Come find it.
Speaker 6: Back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 8: Dodgers and Cardinals coming up at the bottom of the hour, Justin Robleski going up against Sonny Gray, game one of a three game series here at Busch Stadium. Rick Monday and Tim Neverett, we'll have the call. Hey, just want to let you know that you might be driving to the Greek Theater tonight. We were talking music and baseball and John Mayer wanting to meet Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 5: How about our guy, Brad Paisley.
Speaker 8: He's playing at the Greek Theater tonight, so by the time he comes off the stage he'll know whether or not his Dodgers beat the Cardinals. And his guy, Clayton Kershaw is going to start on Sunday. So if you're on your way to see John or excuse me, Brad Paisley at the Greek Theater, keep it right here on our flagship station, A five seventy LA Sports, the iHeartRadio app and all along the world Champion Dodgers Audio Network. Let's see if that truck still works for Justin Robleski and the Dodgers. As the three MVPs are going to get this game started, Otani betson Freeman. Tommy Edmond gets the start at second base tonight. It will be an emotional return, I'm sure when he steps to the plate. Edmund is hitting eighth for the Dodgers, so looking forward to the Dodgers and Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Jealous. If you're going to the Greek Theater to see our.
Speaker 8: Guy, Brad Paisley, then I'll do it for us on Dodger Talk. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio Act.
Speaker 5: You can also follow me on x at the Real Underscore DV and on Instagram.
Speaker 8: At officially vast Say Dodgers and Cardinals. Game one of this three game series just about to get started.
Speaker 5: When we return, Rick Monday and Tim Neverett will have the call right here on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network. Enjoy the game and the concerts, hang out shirts News. Let's see if that truck st