Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank god a friend, most have it most speaking.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm looking for a mister Buttay's first name.
Speaker 2: I'ma i'm a nobody's been named that in like one hundred years. And as for the rest, why don't you double check that name? Try saying it out loud?
Speaker 4: I'm a butt face.
Speaker 2: I'm mistakes to how we learn now, young fellow, good luck in your your journey into adulthood.
Speaker 5: Hey, this is Jesse Carmichael from Room five. Hi, this is Phil Margo of the Tokens.
Speaker 3: Hello, it's Nicole Atkins on the Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 6: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show and Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. This week we're talking disc tracks songs that kind of poke fun at other people. We'll get into that in just a moment, but as always, before we get into it all, allow me to introduce all the cranbones joining us here this evening. First and foremost from the Richter Observatory. He's always got two or three puns about Motown. Ready to go four tops? Neil Richter is back.
Speaker 5: I didn't see where that was going. That was a good one, how you doing, Everybody.
Speaker 6: And the host of Paranormally Yours. She adopted a dog from a blacksmith. As soon as she got him home, he made a bolt for the door. Cal Nuklem has said Hello, And from the silver Screen. She learned from walking into a bar that having two or three shots of whiskey per day can significantly reduce your risk of giving a crap. Mercedes Kent is back.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's so true.
Speaker 1: Who looks every time?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 1: Everybody?
Speaker 6: And last but not least, the host of Shaving Cream. She learned that stormtroopers use iPhones because they can't find the droings that, Oh, I messed it up. They can't find the droids they were looking for. Har reveal this.
Speaker 7: Year it's never the droids you're looking.
Speaker 6: I know that would have been better if I didn't screw it up.
Speaker 7: That's okay. I appreciate a good nerd joke. You know you know me all too well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, stumbling out of the gate, I'm already two cups of coffee behind. So we're gonna see how it goes. But tonight we're talking diss tracks, so basically songs that make fun of other bands, other artists locations something in society. Probably best known in like the hip hop rap world now, but they have been around forever. We've talked about them in classical music, They've been in jazz. They have been around for a very very long time. So I have no idea where it's going to go tonight, But let's find out when don't we hop right in and Neil is going to lead us off tonight?
Speaker 5: Well, I got a little bit of this and a little bit of that, But let's talk about Don Henley. Don Henley who was born in nineteen forty seven and is an American musician. In nineteen seventy one, he co founded and was the drummer for the rock band The Eagles. Henley also sang lead vocals on many of the Eagles' biggest hits, including their epic Hotel California. The Eagles are the biggest selling American band in history, with over one hundred and fifty million albums sold worldwide. That's one hundred and fifty million. They had five number one singles, six number one albums, and won six Grammy Awards. Their Greatest Hits album is the best selling album in the US in history, selling over thirty eight million copies and count probably, so that's not too shabby. No. Now, after the Eagles broke up in nineteen eighty, Henley pursued a solo career and went on to sell over ten million albums on his own, winning two Grammys of his own and five MTV Video Awards as well. Henley, along with the Eagles, was introduced or inducted, i should say, into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in nineteen ninety eight. And again, that's not too shabby. But there is one person who didn't think so. There is one man, and that man's name was Neil Kirby McMillan Junior, better known to the world as Mojo Nixon. And if you don't know Mojo Nixon, your store could use some Fixon. Mojo Nixon was born in nineteen fifty seven. He was an American musician and actor, best known for his comedy and novelties songs that were delivered in what would best be described as psychobilly, which is sort of a blend of rockabilly and punk. Nixon began his career as a duo with his partner Skid Roper. His real name was Richard Bank, and that happened in the mid nineteen eighties, and by the late nineteen eighties, Nixon and Roper had released several satirical pieces, including that lampoon celebrities, including the song Elvis Is Everywhere, which included Michael J. Fox as the anti Elvis, Stuffin' Martha's muffin, referring to MTV VJ Martha Quinn stuffin' Martha's muffin? And who can forget Debbie Gibson is pregnant with my two headed love child. And that was the one that got him in trouble with MTV. They refused to play the video.
Speaker 7: David Gibson, that's the one that pushed it over the end.
Speaker 5: But I digress. Nixon and Rope were split up in nineteen eighty nine, and it was in the following year that Nixon unleashed a brand new round of controversy by recording the song Don Henley Must Die. This is the Sound of My Brain.
Speaker 8: Then I said, this is the sound of my brain on Don Henley.
Speaker 6: Then I said one, two, three fours.
Speaker 9: He's a tortured artists to be in the ego.
Speaker 10: Now he whine, He's like.
Speaker 5: A wounded beagle.
Speaker 10: Blow it up despair, bucked up with hot air.
Speaker 9: He's serious pretensions and not just conjet.
Speaker 11: Died.
Speaker 10: Don't let him get.
Speaker 8: Tidy to turn it up with glint dry they might die.
Speaker 10: Cut on the TV. Woo did I see.
Speaker 5: This floated?
Speaker 9: Everything went in a Grammy fast.
Speaker 11: Rocks on the list compared to what.
Speaker 10: Bunch of suono serious?
Speaker 12: And I think the man say blo.
Speaker 5: Di di.
Speaker 10: Pooto sun stick it as gott gott but playing that crondron the man, I'm only kiddy.
Speaker 7: Can't you tell.
Speaker 5: I love his sensitive.
Speaker 11: Music, idiot poetry.
Speaker 10: Swell you and your card.
Speaker 7: We're killing rock and roll.
Speaker 10: It's not because you are wealthy.
Speaker 5: Got your hat got up.
Speaker 6: Stuf, don't be afraid of loosen.
Speaker 10: Up your pony tail, be wild your friend of titch your head your.
Speaker 9: Tail start he musty, don't let it be back together with cliff ride, start.
Speaker 10: Must put him in the electric um what if the time on YouTube?
Speaker 5: Yeah, even Nixon's record company was shocked to the point to the point where they were begging radio stations not to play this song.
Speaker 4: Did you say why he so much hated Don Henley?
Speaker 5: I don't know, but I suspect that this begging the radio stations not to play the song was part of a marketing.
Speaker 4: Ploy, because, of course.
Speaker 5: Don Henley Must Die hit number twenty on the US Modern Rock chart in nineteen ninety I love it. Apparently Don Henley himself didn't mind. He was probably too busy polishing his Grammys and counting his money, because in nineteen ninety two, at a club in Austin, Texas, Henley actually joined Nixon on stage and they sang the song together.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I love it.
Speaker 5: All right, after which Nixon praised Henley for quote having balls as big as church bells come, and went on went on to ask is Debbie Gibson here too.
Speaker 7: Awesome?
Speaker 5: Nixon would go on to host a radio show on the out Country channel on Serious XM. The Eagles have reunited and reformed several times with various members over the years. Now, I once heard and this was hearsay. I don't even know where, or I don't know if I read it. I probably just heard it. But Don Henley, when credited along with the Eagles, for inventing the genre of new country, replied, whether sarcastically or not, that he was very sorry and apologized. Now the sad thing the said. The final irony here is that the song also mentions Henley's Eagles bandmate Glen Fry, who did die in twenty sixteen, and Nixon himself passed away just last year in twenty twenty four. But as of this taping, Don Henley is still alive and well, probably polishing his Grammys and counting his money. So there's the disc for you.
Speaker 6: Nice. He's one of those he just doesn't have a good reputation of being nice or pleasant to work with.
Speaker 4: John Henley.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just across the board. That's just the kind of stuff you hear. Obviously he never met him, never work with him or anything, but that's just the repute kind of like Chevy Chase, nobody want you know, he's burning bridges as he goes along kind of. It just seems to be that kind of thing. He just, you know, I don't know, I don't know how true that is, but it kind of makes sense with the song. So that was funny compared to what is my favorite line in that phone? I didn't really hear anything after that. All right, good lead off, Thank you, Neil Gail put up to you.
Speaker 4: That's a really hard act to follow.
Speaker 13: Yeah, The song I chose is by Us Osbourne, and I'm still very sad that he passed away in July of twenty twenty five this year.
Speaker 4: I knew his Parkinson's was getting bad, but I didn't know it was that bad that he was going to die what seventeen days after that last concert that he gave. That's just so sad.
Speaker 6: You kind of get the feeling that he planned it, like, yeah, that's that was.
Speaker 7: He was saying goodbye.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, you really couldn't have scripted it any better, you know, But I know, right, it was sad. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was an article that he was actually strapped to chair the whole entire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I read that In the Throne.
Speaker 6: I also read that he had stopped a lot of his pain meds and other stuff just.
Speaker 4: Right so he could function a little more coher And yeah, again, yeah, not true, but it would make sense.
Speaker 1: That's what I read.
Speaker 4: A oh yeah, so, as many people already know, he was born John Michael Osbourne ended up with the nickname of Ozzie. He was born on the third of December in nineteen forty eight, and, as I said, passed away on July twenty second, twenty twenty five. He was an English singer, songwriter and media personality. And of course, he co founded the pioneering heavy metal band Black Sabbath in nineteen sixty eight and they rose to prominence in the nineteen seventies and he was their lead vocalist. Now he formed his own band in the early nineteen eighties after being fired from Black Sabbath in nineteen seventy nine due to his problems with alcohol and other drugs. I did not know a band could fire its lead singer.
Speaker 5: No idea.
Speaker 6: That kind of shows you how bad things got.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say yeah.
Speaker 4: And of course he was accused by the Christian Right of promoting Satanism and no he didn't. It's like crazy. He reunited with Black Sabbath on a number of occasions. He rejoined from nineteen ninety seven to two thousand and five, and then again in twenty twelve. During this second reunion, he sang on the band's last studio album, called thirteen, which coincidentally came out in twenty thirteen, before they embarked on a farewell tour that ended in twenty seventeen. Now, on the fifth of July twenty twenty five. This year, Osborne performed his final show at the Back to the Beginning concert in Birmingham, having announced that it would be his last due to health issues, and as we know, those health issues took him seventeen days later. During his career, he adopted the title Prince of Darkness. Now, the song we're going to talk about and listen to is called miracle Man. And that was a pointed barb aimed at televangelist Jimmy Swaggert, who, in my opinion, deserves it.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 4: He had long been critical of Osborne's music and live performances before he himself was involved in a nineteen eighty eight prostitution scandal.
Speaker 7: Lest he be judged, Yeah, lest.
Speaker 6: He be caught because ye did not admit ye anything till ye was caught. Yeah, and then be sorry.
Speaker 4: Thinking of Jim Baker.
Speaker 5: Oh no, they did that.
Speaker 6: No, Swagger did that too. He had his little, perfectly staged, perfectly lit meltdown.
Speaker 5: I remember that.
Speaker 4: That's oh yeah, I'm I'm a church lady, and I think they're all hypocritesis.
Speaker 6: I agree. You know whose cousin is right? No, no, Neil, Do you know whose cousin.
Speaker 5: Is the man who married his cousin, correct, his other No, Jerry Lee.
Speaker 6: Lewis Lewis's cousin.
Speaker 5: Who married his fourteen year old cousin, correct, not Jimmy Swagger's right.
Speaker 6: So to me, there's a lot of similarities. It's just that Jerry Lee leaned into it and Jim me so.
Speaker 5: It was probably yeah, he yeah, Jerry lead. It was unapologetically, you know, exactly the killer come out.
Speaker 6: They took Danno lessons together as kids and stuff.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, The song miracle Man is from the fifth solo studio album by Ozzy Astbourne, which is called No Rest for the Wicked, and that was released in October of nineteen eighty eight, reissued on in nineteen ninety five, in August, and again on the twenty fifth of June and two thousand and two. I guess they just liked it so much they kept re releasing it. The album was certified gold in December nineteen eighty eight and since has gone double platinum. It peaked at number thirteen on the Billboard two hundred. It was the first album to feature guitarist Zach Wild, keyboardist Johnson Lair, and the first to feature bassist Bob jays Licin's part at the Moon. So let's have a lassen.
Speaker 10: I don't know why, don't know, you don't know where it's all. Why that man? I can't be seen as a.
Speaker 12: Gobble with the bust fire candlements, not a double.
Speaker 4: Pretty much anything he did rocks like crazy. I just loved his music. Ozzie Osbourne sold more than one hundred million albums between his solo work and Black Sabbath releases. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Black Sabbath in two thousand and six and as a solo artist in twenty twenty four. Now one of my favorite things that he's done. In the two thousands, he became a reality television star when he appeared in the MTV reality show The Osbourns from twenty two thousand and two to two thousand and five along Sharon. Alongside Sharon and two of their children, Kelly and Jack, he co starred with some of his family in the television series Ozzie and Jack's World Detour twenty sixteen to twenty eighteen and my all time favorite The Osbourns want to believe twenty twenty to twenty twenty one. I want to get a shirt that has a picture of him saying ball Lightning show the show. Now, his son Jack is a known paranormal investigator. So the basis of the Osbourne's want to believe was that Jack would show different video clips of paranormal things or supposedly paranormal, whether it was a UFO or somebody that appeared out of nowhere, or items that moved by themselves or whatever, and nine times out of ten, as he would say ball Lightning.
Speaker 5: That was his Yeah, that was his explanation for it. Yes, pretty much everything.
Speaker 4: And Sharon's explanation was usually dolphins and they had their dogs on set with it. It was I loved that show. It was so much fun. And he was just in his later years. He was just this cute, little doddering old man. He was adorable. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it that I.
Speaker 5: Can tell you something shocking. Would you like to hear something really shocking? Okay, I never saw aw Ozsy or Black Sabbath. I am shocked. I was supposed to. I was supposed to. It was they were supposed to show up at a festival. The festival I talked about it here. It was in nineteen seventy two. They were supposed to show up and they never showed up. So technically I almost did, but they had they had other plans. So there you go.
Speaker 1: We are all appropriately shocked.
Speaker 5: See, I have to balance it out. You know, I've seen I never saw Black Sabbath, never saw Ozzie, and I'm kind of sorry I didn't know, but yeah, definitely, yeah.
Speaker 6: He's you know, it's amazing how they tried to demonize all that, and I thought it was funny.
Speaker 5: And he was known.
Speaker 6: There were a bunch of stories of you know, people hanging out outside his hotel with candles and sitting around and you know, being missed, and he would just go out and blow the candles out because he's trying to go to sleep.
Speaker 4: A little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so all right, that was awesome.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Gail.
Speaker 6: We're gonna take a real quick break and be back with more right after this. Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 14: It beats listening to nothing.
Speaker 4: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 1: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side too. This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 6: Ay and welcome back, Mercedes. We're up to you all right?
Speaker 1: So I had a sex Pistols song all picked out and for the show, and it was funny and good, and there was an answer song after it from another band, which Neil clued me into. But after re listening and reading the lyrics, I realized it had the F word in it, and not the one that rhymes with duck, but the one that rhymes with maggot. And I couldn't do it. Definitely, no, No, I couldn't do it, So off to find another song. I used to work for Select Records as the production manager in nineteen eighty seven nineteen eighty eight. Select was an early rap label mostly remembered for Chub Rock, Utfo, Kidn't Play, and the Real Roxanne. I arrived at Select just after the Roxanne Wars, which were described as a public lyrical rap battle that became a defining moment in early hip hop history. Also one of raps music's first dish record and perhaps the most answer records in history. Utfo, which as I said, was on Select, put out a single titled Hanging Out in nineteen eighty four. The song did not do very well, but the B side, Roxanne Roxanne, a song about a woman who would not respond to their advances, gained much attention on airplay. As the story goes, soon after, fourteen year old Lolita Chante Gooden was walking outside of the Queensbridge Housing Project in New York City when she heard Tyrone Williams, Discjackie Mister Magic, and record producer Marley Marril talking about how UTFO would cancel to show that the men had promoted. Gooden offered to record a hip hop song that would exact revenge on UTFO. The original street version was entirely freestyled by Gooden in one seven minute long take and recorded on BHS tape in Marl's apartment. The beats were copied from an instrumental version of Roxanne Roxanne. The recording was pressed onto one hundred initial copies that were rushed into distribution on the street in late nineteen eighty four, with Gooden billed as Roxanne Shante. It was grabbed up by Select Records because nobody does that better than Fred, and re recorded without the profanity. It became an instant hit and peaked at number twenty two on the hot R and B hip hop song chart. In answer to its popularity, Utfo and Full Force released The Real roxand their own antwer record. This response song became a hit and caused a flood of Roxanne related hip hop record releases. It was not directly aimed at Roxanne Chante, but used Elease Jack as the real Roxand this title was soon turned over to an Adelaide Adelaida Martinez. And here's a quote from the Real Roxand aka Adelaida Martinez. Ironically enough, I met I briefly met doc Ice and Kangle at the Albee Square Mall in Brooklyn, and like Roxanne Shanty, I paid them no mine when they tried to get their rap on. All this was taking place while Paul Anthony and I were just becoming friends. Full Forest was looking for someone to play the permanent role of Roxanne, even though they had already cut the track with someone they picked out of a club that would have been at least Jack, whom, by the way, had absolutely no rap experience. They utilized her for an answer back to outbage Roxanne's Shanta's track. It seemed that while they tried to create this character, they were having issues with this individual and her mother. So I was told that. That's when I was told, and that's when I asked. Was asked by Paula Anthony if I would audition for the guys, and I said sure, and I did, and from there I kept on walking in the shoes of the Real Roxanne. So some of these answer songs in the Roxanne Wars were Sparky's Turn, Roxanne, Ye're Through by Sparky De Roxanne's Doctor, The Real Man by Doctor fresh Do, The Roxanne by Doctor rox and Company. The Parents of Roxanne by gigelow Tony and Lacey Lace. I'm Lil Roxanne by Tanganika Yo, My Little Sister, Roxannes Brothers by Crush Groove, Wrappin' Roxy Roxanne's Sister by d w and The Party Crew featuring roxy Ice, Roxanne by Little Ice, Roxanne's a Man, The Untold Story Final Chapter by Ralph rol. The Roxanne Wars mostly ended with the release of the final word no More Roxanne, Please by the East Come by the East Coast Crew, who pled for the artists to seize the trend. The Roxanne Wars created the careers of many rappers, including Roxanne Shante, The Real End, The Real rock san and Sparky d so uh so so. Well, let's hear the song this is. Let me just say that it's long. It's a rough recording. I fuck with Brian over this because he dipally played this version. It's pretty hard to listen to. We don't have to listen to the whole thing, and you'll see why.
Speaker 15: Video Music Box continues with one of the hottest lady rappers on the music scene. He is rock sand Shante and rock Sands Revenge.
Speaker 13: Well, my name is back band.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I just abackau funny and I do this said I'm gonna see you guys, and you know it's to let me tell you and explain them all to you.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna just do with the.
Speaker 7: Name of a hen. I didn't even walk away.
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 9: You don't know that.
Speaker 3: But then he got real man, and he got a little tired. If he wasn't for me too, you know, he would be fined. He wouldn't a can't go and that is cute, But he ain't like that money, and he ain't got the lute. And every time that I see him, he's always abegging at all the other girls that he's always trying.
Speaker 8: To leg it.
Speaker 3: Every time that I see him, he said, rose, he compared to me, just we compared to mine. Every time that I know that, I am saying, it's the profession in any charactery.
Speaker 6: I can see this the best.
Speaker 3: At every time that I said that ain't nothing. And let you and everybody you know I will with think God said. And after that and the educated rapper, this thing is started to slam them in my hands like a flam But every time that I see him, everything he say, he rockets to the beata and he come to this pa. He said that, yeah, you know, your mother's a name is Mary.
Speaker 7: Everywhere I've heard because your father is up there.
Speaker 3: But every time I see him, he's saying it's something new.
Speaker 7: But let me explain to him what you should do.
Speaker 3: You should be like me if I MC don't never have the bite, will always write, I have the Fascius mom that I do recite and after that again know what's true.
Speaker 1: But let me tell you. So that was the start of the Roxanne Wars. And that was Roxanne Shade. The Roxanne that I worked with that Select Records was the real Roxanne aka Adelaida Martinez. She was very young and very pretty, and she was a girl from the hood. She had two children at a very early age. The art director had Select and my best friend there took Roxanne under her wing and acted as her stylist for photo and video shoots. And I called my friend Amy Lys and I just to check some details that I was confused about, because this is confusing. I wanted to make sure I had the right Roxanne in all these different scenarios. And two hours later, we're still talking and now we're getting together. So I'm glad I decided to use this song. The real Roxanne aka Adelaida Martinez went on to record many records on Select, one single being respect which sampled the Arretha Franklin song, and also Rodney Dangerfield and another popular so I actually played that a long long time ago on this show. And another one which was Bang Zoom Let's Go Go with hit Man Howie Tea that peaked at number twenty four on the R and B charts, and that was the Roxanne Wars.
Speaker 6: I think that was fascinating, and I think that minute clip was more than enough of.
Speaker 5: I was going to say that that was the audio equivalent of a Migraine headache.
Speaker 4: Yea, her voice is just a tad Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 1: I just love the fact that it's so raw, and I love the fact that she's fourteen. And if she did that in one take, that's pretty impressive because it goes on a lot longer than we listen to it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would say she's very talented. Yeah, I could never do that, do that and without flubbing over my own words. Oh yeah, there's no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she she's not the real rock Sande. It was the one that I knew who has better voice, but a little bit older and more mature at that point.
Speaker 6: All right, cool, thank you, Mercedes Barbara. What do you have for us?
Speaker 7: Something almost exactly like what you've heard? No kidding? Oh all right, Well, my song choice for tonight's topic is pop hates the Beatles but Alan Sherman, And I gotta say, there's a crime taking place here, and the crime is that I don't really have to tell you who the Beatles were, but I do have to tell you about Alan Sherman.
Speaker 5: Well, I've heard of him, but who's who are these beetle beatle these beetle guys?
Speaker 9: Really?
Speaker 7: So Sherman is mostly known for composing and performing parody and comedy music. He was born Alan Copelon on November thirtieth, nineteen twenty four. He was the son of an auto mechanic slash race car driver father who suffered from obesity, weighing over three hundred and fifty pounds. And I don't know what this means, but a.
Speaker 1: Race car, he was in a race car. Three.
Speaker 7: It was a race car.
Speaker 4: How do you even do that?
Speaker 1: Do you even get in it or out?
Speaker 7: I did not research that carefully, nor did I research nor did I research the following statement. His father died while attempting a one hundred day diet, So I don't know what that even means. And I really didn't want to go down that big ass rabbit hole there. So as a child, Sherman and family moved around a lot and attended twenty one different public schools.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 7: He eventually was admitted to the University of Illinois and contributed to a humor column on the school paper, but he was later expelled for breaking into a sobriety house.
Speaker 1: Oh my, so doesn't that happen all the time on college campuses?
Speaker 7: I guess, I guess so, Sherman devised the TV game show I've Got a Secret, which ran from nineteen fifty two to nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 7: It was broadcast live, and Sherman was fond of televising large scale stunts on the show and clashed with anyone who didn't agree with his shall we say creativity. One of these particular stunts involved the Madison Square Boys Club, seated in the studio audience and a special Easter surprise. So they were all called up on stage and about one hundred bunnies were released.
Speaker 4: Oh Man.
Speaker 7: Chaos ensued, but show host Gary Moore took it upon himself to ensure the safety of the bunnies good and nearly all the boys ended up giving the rabbits back. So. Sherman began writing song parodies in nineteen fifty two, but did not achieve much success until he was invited to perform them at parties thrown by his next door neighbor Harpbow Marx.
Speaker 4: Oh, how nice.
Speaker 7: I have to tell you how much I enjoyed researching this. I've feature Alan Sherman numerous times on my show, and I always get a kick out of all these little fact toys and all these details and I'm so happy to read this and share this with you all. So these parties were attended by Marx's show business friends, and after one particular performance, party goer George Burns made a phone call to an executive at Warner Brothers and convinced him to sign Sherman to a contract. This resulted in the nineteen sixty two release of Sherman's first album, My Son, the Folk Singer, my very first comedy album. I was gifted it by my aunt when I was about six years old, and I listened to it over and over and over again. I got in trouble in he was school for singing Glory, Glory, Harry Lewis. Let's just leave it there. So. Sherman's second album, My Son the Nut, featured the famous track Hello mauta hella Fata, which most of us know, and this particular song reach number two for three straight weeks on the Billboard Hot one hundred. In nineteen sixty three. Sherman himself was parodied by performer Stanley Ralph Ross, who released an album called My Son the Copycat, featuring an album cover depicting a crossed out picture of Sherman. By nineteen sixty four, Sherman's success began to decline, largely due to the British invasion. His answer to this was to record Pop Hates the Beatles, the first track on side too of the nineteen sixty four album for Swinging Livers Only.
Speaker 1: That'll stop all this nonsense, so let's check it out.
Speaker 16: My daughter needs a new phonograph. She wore out all the needles. Besides, I broke the old one in half. I hate the Beatles, she says. They have a Liverpool beat. She says they used to play there, four nice kids from off of the street. Why didn't they stay there? What is all the screaming about fainting and swooning? Sounds to me like their guitars could use a little tuning. The boys are from the British Empire. The British think they're keen, if that is what the British desire. God saved the Queen. No daughter of mine can push me around in my house. I'm the master. But when the Beetles came into town, gad, what a disaster. Little girls and sneakers and jeans destroyed the terror Tory. Twas like some of the Gorrier scenes from West Side story. Of course, my daughter had to go there.
Speaker 17: The tickets are.
Speaker 6: Cheap, she hollers.
Speaker 16: I was able to pick up a pair for forty seven dollars. When the beetles come on the stage, they scream and shriek and cheer them. Now I know why they're such a rage. It's impossible to hear them. Ringo is the one with the drum. The uh there's all play with them. It shows you what a boy can become without a sense of rhythm. There's be little books and t shirts and rings and one thing and another. To buy my daughter all of these things. I had to sell her brother. Back in seventeen seventy six, we fought the British. Then, folks, parents of America, It's time to do it again, folks. When they come back. Here's how we'll begin. We'll throw them in Boston Harbor. But please, before we toss them all in, let's take them to a barber.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, first off, forty seven dollars, am I right?
Speaker 5: That's cheap?
Speaker 6: Test Imaginally that's a drink. Couple bok's a drink.
Speaker 11: I look this up.
Speaker 7: Okay, so you and have to thank me later. Forty seven dollars by today's standards, forty seven dollars in nineteen sixty four today is four hundred and eighty seven dollars and thirty eight cents.
Speaker 6: That's pretty accurate.
Speaker 1: And that's for two tickets.
Speaker 7: That's for two tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it actually sounds still chap.
Speaker 7: It's such about right actually to see the bills, to see well, if he knows bleed seats whatever you know in nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 7: Unfortunately, Sherman's recordings from nineteen sixty four on never charted, and he was released from his contract by Warner Brothers. In nineteen sixty six, he performed live in Australia and sang a parody of Molly Malone, not realizing that his use of the word but butt in the song would go over the heads of his audience members, who use the term bomb instead. However, he did sign it, end up signing at least one autograph. In nineteen sixty nine, Sherman wrote the book, book and the lyrics for the flop Broadway musical The fig Leaves Are Falling, which starred Barry Nelson, Dorothy Louden, and David Cassidy. In nineteen seventy one. He was the voice of Doctor Seuss's The Cat in the Hat for the animated TV special and later for Doctor Seuss on the Loose. Unfortunately, Sherman's health began to deteriorate due to alcoholism, weight gain, diabetes, and lung disease, and he died on November twentieth, nineteen seventy three, just ten day shy of his forty ninth birthday, while entertaining friends at his Los Angeles home. Although Sherman's success, like his life, was fleeting, Sherman inspired many modern day parody artists, like Weird Al, who paid tribute to Sherman on his self titled first album, on the cover of which can be seen a cartoon awl, and an Alan Sherman record album. Sherman and his work have been referenced in popular culture like The Simpsons, and his songs have been covered by bands such as The Misfits and The Capitol Steps, thus leaving behind a lasting legacy. I Love you, Alan Sherman.
Speaker 5: Was great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was funny. Poor ringo.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: All right, thanks Bob. One more quick break and we have one more selection to go, so stick around.
Speaker 10: Hudson Riverradio dot.
Speaker 6: Com Hudson Riverradio dot Com. All right, so mine is super short this week, so let's just jump in. I went with Stuck in the Middle with You by Steelers Wheels sometimes just known as Stuck in the Middle. Steelers Wheels were a Scottish folk rock band formed by Jerry Rafferty on guitar and vocals and Joe Egan on keyboards back in nineteen seventy two. Their lineup by the time they got a record contract included Paul Pilnick on lead guitar, Rod Koombs on drums, and Tony Williams on bass. Tony Williams also played bass for Jethro Tull, which I was gonna tease John about, but he's not here tonight, so we'll have to make up some Jethro tell something later. This song was their only big hit. They had a few couple blips after, but they wound up splitting up in nineteen seventy five and they each went on to successful solo careers. Rafferty would later be known for his solo career hits Baker.
Speaker 4: Street and I Love that song, oh My, and.
Speaker 6: Right down the Line, which I think I might actually like better.
Speaker 4: Oh I Love that idea.
Speaker 6: Yeah. He died of liver failure back in twenty eleven after just a lifetime of heavy drinking. He was sixty three. Egan died just last year, twenty twenty four, after having a stroke. He had already left the music business by the nineteen nineties. Stuck in the Middle was least in nineteen seventy three and was a top ten hit in the US and the UK and many other countries around the world. It sold over a million copies. It was produced by Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoler, names that we should recognize. They wrote and produced a ton of early rock and roll hits like Hound Dogs, stand By Me, Kansas City, and the list goes on and on and on. So I would say the magic touch probably had something to do with the success of the song. The song itself got a second life when Quentin Tarantino used it in the nineteen ninety two film Reservoir Dogs. I could not make it past the first ten minutes of I am just not a Quentin Tarantino fan. It just does not click with me.
Speaker 5: I'm probably I was going to say that this group, that's what the song reminds me of the scene that they play this.
Speaker 6: And yeah tortures.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Just I don't know, and now you guys feel about it. I just I've tried pulp fiction was okay, which I might get beat up for saying that, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Not here.
Speaker 6: Yeah you agree, Yeah, you're the resident movie expert, so yeah, give me your opinion. But yeah, I'm just yeah, not my thing. So what is Stuck in the Middle actually about. Well, the song is a spoof about being stuck at a music industry cocktail party where you are the center of attention. Clowns to the left of me, jokers.
Speaker 17: To the right.
Speaker 6: Here, I am stuck in the middle with you. That's amazing, right, references being getting worried about being so drunk you're going to fall down the stairs, worried about people just wanting stuff from you. The line please please please in the middle of the song, it's just people just coming to you because they want stuff because you're famous. Now, the singing style, well, that was a spoof on Bob Dylan. So the song is kind of a whole spoof on Bob Dylan because he was kind of known for being a little bit paranoid at these type of events. Because he was so famous and people always wanted stuff from him, and I guess he really didn't want to be there, and you can't really blame him. In fact, a lot of listeners when the song first came out, thought it was Bob Dylan singing this song, but it's not. They were just kind of spoofing on him. So let's go to a cocktail party, lift your beverage, and let's listen to Stuck in the Middle.
Speaker 14: Well, don't curio you tonight. I gotta feeling something right. I'm so scared of kids.
Speaker 4: I phone of my chair.
Speaker 14: I don't want to get down the stairs. Clowns did letting me?
Speaker 4: Joke us to the right here.
Speaker 14: I am stucking middle with you. You so I'm stuck in middle with you. Want what it is I should do? It's so hard to keep the smile from my face, lose some joey am.
Speaker 11: All over the place. Clowns to the left of me.
Speaker 14: Joke is to the right here.
Speaker 11: I am not getting middle with you.
Speaker 5: We just dying.
Speaker 14: I would not let your bother tell myself it now.
Speaker 11: And your family I'll go sad me I'm a bag and.
Speaker 18: Say trying to make some sense of it all, but I can see here is no sense at all?
Speaker 10: Is it cool?
Speaker 17: The wall steep bottom block, and I'm saying that I can.
Speaker 11: Take anymore.
Speaker 17: Clowns to the letting me joke gets to the right here.
Speaker 1: I am stuck getting riddle with you.
Speaker 11: I just started.
Speaker 14: I was loving and your brother you're selling now.
Speaker 2: And your family.
Speaker 11: I was coming save I'm a back.
Speaker 4: And say.
Speaker 11: Yeah, don't I carry you to night.
Speaker 14: I had a fear.
Speaker 17: Of something right, I'm so scared. I kiss, I followed my chattle longer. Get on the stairs bos the leather Joe gets to the right here.
Speaker 11: I am can a little in you because you you, you am with you.
Speaker 6: You could hear some Dylan in there. You could see kind of.
Speaker 5: Why oh yeah, and it fit right into the what he was kind of doing. I guess around that time the sound was the same. Yeah. Yeah, But I had heard that you mentioned his pension for every creation, that that's either stealers wheel or he himself. When he was a solo, he never toured because they they couldn't get him to go because he was drunk all the time. Yeah, I heard this. I don't know, you know if it's true or not, but this is what I was told, you know.
Speaker 6: So right, well, it would make sense, unfortunately, Yeah, and you know, producing a whole concert even back then. Nowadays it's ten times the amount of gear and people. But even back then, you know, selling tickets and booking a venue and have your guy not show up, that's problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a you.
Speaker 1: Know, no show, showing a lot of money.
Speaker 6: Whether he shows up or not, you got to spend it. You're paying everybody, you're yeah, if you're I don't know if he would refund at that point, but I guess you would have to. What else can you do?
Speaker 1: So all right?
Speaker 6: Is that enough disan for a night? I think Ringo got Ringo and Don Henley got it the worst.
Speaker 7: I think I'm so disenchanted.
Speaker 6: We should come up with something nicer to do with some week at some point, but not yet, not yet, some other time. We'll drag things along a little bit.
Speaker 4: So I don't know where there are any songs where artists fanboy or fangirl.
Speaker 6: Oh tons, Yeah, absolutely, that's it. That's a good one. We could look into that for now. Let's pull the plug before it goes off the rails. Right, Good job, Crambones, Thank you. For your selection and all your hard work, and as always, thank you all for joining us here for the rock and Roll History Show. Don't forget to subscribe in your favorite podcast app and check out all the other shows we do at Hudson River Radio. There is something for everybody. We'll be back next week with something we don't know what yet, we will figure it out as we always do. Till then, have a great weekend, Be safe and peace out everybody.
Speaker 3: A rock cop Bottom and Cram Okay the bye
Speaker 6: Hudson River Radio dot com the best thing to happen to the Internet.