Speaker 1: Judy was boring.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: Then Judy discovered chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 2: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy's the life of the party. Oh baby, mama is bringing home the bacon. WHOA, take it easy, Judy, Jump the chumba life is for everybody. So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump chumpacasino dot com. Noe's necessary, Bly, We're pomitted by eighteen plus terms and condition to pla.
Speaker 4: See what's every details With.
Speaker 5: The Lucky land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 4: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at Lucky landslops dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by law eighteen plus terms and conditions apply. See website for detail.
Speaker 6: Loop Host Radio.
Speaker 1: You are now listening to True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them, Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 2: Good Evening. This is your host Dan Zuvansky for the program True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Over the years, Ron Francell's books have earned high praise from best authors such as Anne Rule and Vincent Bulagosi. He is the best selling author of The Darkest Night, and his writing has been often compared to Truman Capodi. Ron grew up in Wyoming. A lifelong journalist, he worked for newspapers in Wyoming, New Mexico, and California's Bay Area before hitting the road in one of America American Journalism's best beats, covering the evolution of the American West as a senior writer for the Denver Post. Shortly after nine to eleven, he was dispatched by the Post to cover the Middle East during the first few months of the Afghan War. In two thousand and four, became the managing editor for the Beaumount, TX Enterprise, where he covered the devastation of Hurricane Rita. After Ron's divorce, he feared he was the link in a long chain of his strange fathers. But when the author and his teenage son embark on a road trip to the Yukon to seek out a macabre cocktail containing an amputated human tow, they unwittingly begin a journey into their own present and future. The Sour Cocktail Club is a true life love story about fathers and sons, set against epic backdrops and overlooked places. It is also a roadbook that attempts to answer, for one father and son a pivotal life question, where does the road go? Our book that we're featuring this evening is The Sourtoll Cocktail Club with my special guest journalist and author Ron Fransell. Thank you for agreeing to this program and welcome back to True Murder. Ron Francell, p Pell Dan.
Speaker 7: Thank you for having me back. I'm just delighted that I didn't screw up so bad the last time that you wouldn't have me at all.
Speaker 2: You got to get a little bit more confidence in yourself.
Speaker 7: Ron I have a great time doing your show. But tonight, despite the build up, we're not going to be talking about killers or murder or anything like that. Although I have to admit I don't know exactly where this toe came from. But you know, we're not gonna well, maybe we'll talk about killers before it's all over. But this book, you know, is a little a little brighter than my usual fare.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the thing is though that I think that it's very interesting for people who already are aware of your work, love your work, to now hear to get a chance which is a rare opportunity to hear about something that life changing in your life. And we will ask some questions about Obviously, you know, the book answers it to a certain degree, but we're going to ask some questions for the audience that because of course they're just hearing about this program, but we want to know. We're going to know, we're going to learn quite a bit about your son, and we're gonna learn quite a bit about yourself and your history. And so being a prolific writer, a true crime writer, has written a couple things that are very that have affected a lot of people. I think our audience will be very interested in how you came to all of this and how this has informed your personality and this great book that we have here now again, like I say, a life changing experience for those that don't know otherwise a true crime writer. So let's get to the Sour Tool cocktail club now. Now, first, I think we should talk about your job at the Denver Post. You say you drove more than eight thousand miles per week writing about the West, eighty thousand miles in your first year and root sixty six. Tell us what your first tell us about your marriage, and then tell us about your job at Denver Post. And where are you at that point in your marriage when you have this job at Denver Post.
Speaker 7: Take us back, Well, let me take you back a little bit farther than that. My then wife and I were the co publishers of a small daily newspaper in Wyoming, where we had both grown up. Now we had worked for newspapers elsewhere, but come back to Wyoming to raise our children in a small town and to run a newspaper. Things just ended up going badly, and not for the newspaper. The newspaper was doing terrifically, but the relationship is sort of very slowly. Gave is sagged under its own weight, and we ultimately divorced when my son was thirteen and my daughter was seventeen. Being a small town and being the publisher of the newspaper up to that point, it wasn't possible for me to just go get another job there in town. You know, there was no other newspaper, There was no other media outlet that I could just casually show up and start a new job. In the American West, the next biggest place for me to go, or the next best place for me to look for a job, was Denver, Colorado. And as it happened, they had been dreaming for some time about some new kind of reportage that for them anyway, where the typical ordinary journalism was told with a little bit more narrative flare. And because I at that point I had written some novels as well as had long experience as a journalist, they thought I was perfect for that, and so they assigned me to the job as a senior writer and a columnist to write about the evolution of the American West, and and my job was to wade out into this vast, vast region and find stories where the past, the present, and the future all intersected, where where by looking backward, we might see where we are and where we're going. And it was a beautiful job for me. I got to blend, you know, real journalism, real stories, truth, with all those tools that I developed as a novelist, to to bring drama to a story, to bring to give it a pace, to give it, to give it a meaning, and and I just loved that. And it was doing that that caused then my bosses to send me to the Middle East right after nine to eleven in hopes that we could begin to answer some of the questions that we were all asking ourselves in North America at that time for an American audience. And they saw no better way than to send someone who could tell that story on the short runway that I had become accustomed to working. So that's where I was, And in that process I didn't travel eight thousand miles a week, but my first year on the road was eighty thousand miles. What was happening was I was using the road as therapy. It was my sanctuary. I would spend five or six weeks generally out reporting and driving all over the American West looking for these stories and writing them and living that road life kept my mind off all the pain that was that that that that had uh just gripped me in in the in the backwash of this divorce. And during that time I was able also then to spend a lot of time with my son where he lived in Wyoming, because I was on the road and I could visit fairly often, but it wasn't every day. And it was in the first month or I'm sorry, in the first summer of of after that divorce, that he came to me in my my little house in the Colorado Rockies and we spent that glorious summer together and we we tried to do too much. We we wanted to fit every mist day into the days we had. So it was during that time that I ran across a mansion and I think on the internet one night about this bar in Dawson City and the Yukon, And what I learned was that you could go there and you could order a drink, and they would show you to a little room in the back, and there you would be sworn to an oath and having taken the oath, a funny little guy would drop into your drink, a mummified human tow. And when I told my son this, now he's thirteen years.
Speaker 2: Old, he.
Speaker 7: Was immediately intrigued by the idea. Now, I think because he was thirteen, anything that involved liquor and anything that involved disembodied body parts was fascinating to him, and so it became a kind of code to us after that. For many years, we would talk about the toe as this thing that we shared, this kind of fantasy that we shared, and we had always sworn, you know, to ourselves, that we would do it someday. When he became a college student eighteen years old, he was driving to college and I was checking in with him throughout the day because it was a long trip and it was his first time doing that sort of thing. And toward the end of that day, I noticed he was getting tired, and so we just would we just spend a lot of time on the phone talking, not doing not really talking about much of anything, just keeping him talking. And he mentioned that during that day he had thought about the toe, and it was at that moment that I decided we were going to do this. And so it's the road you know lies literally under this story obviously, you know, a nearly five thousand mile journey to the Yukon and to the Arctic beyond. But it lies in the sort of metaphoric sense under this story too.
Speaker 2: Now, let's for our audience. I think this is a very very important part of the story. Is your own childhood and your own relationship with your father, biological father and your stepfather. Tell us about that. Take us back to your life and tell us about that.
Speaker 7: When my mother was pregnant with me, her first child, the young woman and married less than two years before my biological father left and never came back and never turned around. It was many years I was a young boy before she told me that my biological father had abandoned us, and that the man that I knew was my father and who continues today to be my father, was not, you know, my biological father. And that's kind of confusing when you're eight or nine years old, and it was confusing to me. Nevertheless, I grew up with my stepfather. I continue, you know now to have a wonderful relationship with my stepfather. But for many years I didn't know anything more than what my mother had told me, which wasn't much about my biological father. I found him when I was thirty years old. I was a journalist, and I used a lot of the skills that I'd learned as a researcher and as a journalist to find him, and he at that time was living in Panama, so it was another couple of years before we actually met, and it was it was a very strange meeting, as you might imagine. I told him in our very first face to face meeting, that I wasn't looking for a father. I had curiosity about where I came from, as you might imagine, but that I had a wonderful father and I didn't need a father, and that the best he could hope for was that we might be friends. In time, I learned his story, and I learned that he too had been abandoned in his life by his own father, And as fate would have it, I learned even later that my grandfather had also been abandoned by his father. So we're looking at essentially four generations of what I call accidental bastards, people who ended up not having a close relationship with their biological fathers. And here I was newly divorced and contemplating that I had just in my way, abandoned my own son. Suddenly it became very important to me to try to rectify that. I couldn't go back, I couldn't change time. But I began to think about how I might disrupt this rhythm, how what I could do that might cause my son not to be in the same position I, my father, my grandfather, and my great grandfather had been in. So that that all plays into this this very very interesting, very poignant, very funny at some point story into the wilderness of Canada.
Speaker 2: Now you asked him some profound questions as well. What I found very again this is you've You've bared yourself to the to the bone here and left nothing. He's left nothing out. But you talk about posing the question to this Tom Lane, your biological father, about whether he's actually loved, if he's actually explained what exactly you ask him and what he asked of you, and why you asked that question.
Speaker 7: I you know the wording. I'd have to look at the book to get the exact wording. But I was trying to get at his capacity for love, because of course I had never felt loved by him. But having gone through that divorce. As I did, I began to wonder about my own capacity for love. You know, when you don't have a model for that, when you don't when you can't look around at your own experience and find a model for what love looks like.
Speaker 5: With the Lucky Landslopts, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 4: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 5: Pay for free at Lucky landslipes dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 6: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 6: Are you a fist pumper, a woo or a handclapp or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prize. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot.
Speaker 3: Com were necessarily if I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 7: You don't know if you're doing it right. Yeah, you might think at times that this is you know that you've gotten it, and then it feels like love, But when it comes right down to it, you don't really know, do you. I mean, if you if you don't know what it looks like, how can you know? How can you know if you're doing it right? So that that's what was kind of going through my mind that that, Uh, I questioned his obviously I questioned his capacity for love, but I wondered if I had inherited that in some way, And so I was really kind of exploring. I was really kind of exploring the nature of love and and the love, the kind of love we talk about between fathers and sons, and and do do I answer that? I don't know. I think people take away from this kind of a story what they will. There's it's very difficult sometimes to to to predict or even to expect that your message is what they will they will get. But in that particular, in that particular exchange that we talk about, we go into that and in a way that is kind of poignant. I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you also asked a question, because you did the quote, you said, do you think do you wonder if you're capable of truly loving someone? And then later in the conversation or that day, you asked, do you ever feel that something is broken inside you? And what did he say to that question?
Speaker 7: I think he refreshed my memory. You know, my father is is a vagabond, am I And I don't even call him my father. I do for radio, I guess, But but he's not my father per se. And I refer to him in the book by a different name. But he's evasive that way. He he he will, he's as I say in the book, he's all he's the hero of his own stories and and all of his own stories. And and so in any answer he gives you, you have to you kind of kind of have to hold it up against that and and and that becomes the test. So I you know, he you know, he he talks about what passes for love, and and he talks that's kind of an illusory kind of term to me, that that he he he thinks he's been in love or at least what passes for love. And I begin to use that same sort of phraseology as I go through this book. Uh, and it pops up here and there in unexpected places, you know what passes for love or what passes for drunk, or you know what for adventure. And he gave me some of the really you know, I think interesting parts of this story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the other before we get to more of the the actual trip itself and more of the planning. What I found very interesting as well, and it mustn't have a profound effect on you in a negative way, was that that your parents didn't show. It seemed to be your mother was disappointed that you didn't have a different career and that you had picked journalism, and that when you got married, they didn't even show up at the attend the wedding, which was a month after you graduated journalism school. And it seemed that you didn't find out, and you explained in this book Final two years later, that you didn't realize that that's what it was. It seemed to be a disappointment in your choice of career and profession. And and you don't sum up how important that was or how profound that was an effect on you. But how of what what did that do to you when you your choice of profession. Instead of the parents being real proud, they seem to not, you know, not be in contact for a while. Please explain that.
Speaker 7: Right, Well, my parents were, you know, children of the of the Second World War, really, and they were both born right at the tail end of the depression. To them, college they couldn't get college. First of all, they didn't understand college. They couldn't see how this was a value to them. It was you're paying somebody to tell you how to go get a job when you could just go get a job. And and and so it didn't make sense to them. And and and we were you know, I would say, lower middle class family. And and they didn't have the wherewithal to send me to college. So it became the easiest thing in the world for them to say, well, you know, you're not going to go to college unless you can pay for it yourself. Ultimately I did. I didn't do that exactly. And and I am to this day, the only the only one in my family of five kids and and their kids except for my own children who went to college. Now my both of my children have gone to college too, but you know, that's a reality that a lot of people live with. My mother in particular, saw saw me at as too dreamy. When I remember her asking me one time, you know, what is it you want to do with your life? And she sort of put it in that kind of in that kind of cant, you know, she's what is it you want to do with your life? And when I said, you know, I'd like to become a reporter. Someday, I'd like to run my own newspaper, she was dismissive of that because she saw not because she thought I was an idiot, but because she thought I was kidding myself right, and that I wasn't being realistic, and that I was only setting myself up for disappointment, probably a lot like the disappointments that she had felt in her own young life, and she knew the pain of that. So I think that that's where it comes from. And she she I have no greater supporter now that I'm a you know, an accomplished journalist, that I'm a best selling author and that I'm telling stories like this one. I have no greater fan than my mother, But in those early days, I think her hyper sense of reality and my dreamy qualities, my fantasies about becoming a writer, really bothered her and it did work on me, but it probably made me all the more interested in succeeding as a writer and a journalist.
Speaker 2: Now, before we go a little bit further, I want to know, in the context of this story here, you were in the in Afghanistan in two thousand and or just in two thousand and one, and let me see, in two thousand and four you were managing editor for the Beaumont Enterprise. When did you write The Darkest Night? And tell us what your personal connection is to the people in the Darkest Night? The book The Darkest.
Speaker 7: Night, I had been working for the Denver Post, and it was after I came back from the Middle East that I began to feel very strongly about telling that story, partly because for me and for my community in nineteen seventy three, this was like a little nine to eleven. On September twenty fourth, nineteen seventy three, we all went to bed and everything was fine. This was a wonderful world, and we lived in an idyllic existence. We wake up on the twenty fifth and everything has changed. That suddenly doors are locked and night falls and you're in the house and porch lights are on, and there's a fear that has absorbed the community. So in some senses, it was on a very very microcosmic scale, a kind of nine to eleven for me and for other kids who knew these two girls who were abducted and terrorized through the night and monstrously thrown off of a very high bridge. They lived next door to us. They were neighborhood kids, and in a neighborhood where there were many kids, and where we saw each other more as brothers and sisters of different mothers than just neighbors. We played together, we experimented in forts and digging and army men together. You know. It was that kind of a relationship with everybody in the neighborhood again, brothers and sisters, and it was no different for these two girls. So the effect on the kids of our neighborhood and in in in the larger town was profound. And I wanted not only to explore this crime, but I wanted to explore how nearly at that time, thirty years later, this this remained a fresh wound, that the memory was still vivid and absorbing. So it was it was not I didn't set out to write a true crime. I wanted to tell a true story about how, you know, one moment of unrestrained barbarity could poison a whole community's memory and could you know, cast this dark, dark shadow across generations. So it was a true story. It was about a crime, but to me, it was bigger than true crime, right, and so what came of that was of course the Darkest Night, and it was embraced as that kind of a story. Now you even mentioned that it has been compared to in Cold Blood. I think the reason it was is that it happened. It's a it's a monstrous crime that happens in a small town, much like Capodi explains in in in the book with the Clutter. You know, the Clutter family being massacred in Holcombe, Kansas. And it was an attempt at doing it in a literary way, which is what Capodi did and which is different than the typical true crime that you see on today's supermarket shelves, you know, which tends to be more reported, more a leaning work towards the lurid and the grotesque, and a lot of blood and that sort of thing. I wanted this to be something bigger, something that went deeper, and it was much more complex. So that's the book that came out of that.
Speaker 2: Now, obviously your life was changed. You became a best selling author by virtue of this book especially, and then it referred to you as a true crime writer, which you say, Jesus, I'm not really a true crime writer. So but I wanted to know what was the response. I know your son must have Matt must have been young, but when did he actually read that book, or if did he did he read the book, and if he did or didn't, why or what was his response if he did?
Speaker 7: You know, I don't recall. I The Darkest Night, of course, came out around two thousand at the first edition of it came out in two thousand and seven, so by that time he was in college, and I don't know, you know, I certainly he's aware of it and he knows the story, but I don't we did. We never have had a specific sort of literary deconstruction about the book. We've talked about that with many other books, but not that particular one. Very early, I remember him picking up my very first novel. He was a young boy. He was eleven or twelve, I think, And actually when my first novel came out, he was, I guess twelve or thirteen, and I remember him reading that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: It was a little uncomfortable with that because it wasn't written for a twelve or thirteen year old. But it was difficult for me to say, you can't read your father's novel, you know. And I remember him. We've talked about that, but The Darkest Night not so much, not so much with him interesting, but he's he's a he's a voracious reader. And as as we do in sour Toow, we we're often stuck in these sort of literary conversations, Yes, where I think you get to see very starkly two different minds at work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think he really does covet his own reading and would like to keep it well. It seems like he's trying to keep it his own thoughts and interpretations about the books that he's reading. And he and he's passionate about maybe to himself, because it seems like he almost he thought you were dragging it out of him or making fun of him when you did discuss the fight club and Chuck vaholmik and anyway, uh now, tell us just before we start this the journey with Matt and we when you first spoke about this, when you first the idea was hatched in your mind, or at least the germ of the idea was when he was thirteen, he's now finally nineteen, when you actually decide to embark on this trip to the Yukon, what is Matt like? Tell us about the character of Matt, your son, and over that six year period you said you had a fair amount of time because you were on the road, that you would go and watch his baseball games and be involved in his life, even though you have to travel into your former town that you lived in. But tell us what was the relationship, like, how strong was the relationship during that six year period and at that age when you're just about to embark on this trip, what is your relationship like?
Speaker 7: It's a big question mark to me, to be honest, it might have been as good as anyone has and he father has with his son, But I still had this question mark because it wasn't around him every single day. We spent a lot of time together, but it wasn't every single day. And because I knew that he was angry about about the divorce and about how he was kind of left abandoned, I think in his mind abandoned because not long after the divorce, my daughter went off to college. So all of a sudden, he's home all the time with his mother and she's living the life of a single mother, and he's got a lot of anger about that. And I definitely saw some changes in his personality. I think this sunny, bright, always laughing, always joking little kid became a little darker and a little more nicol and uh uh. To me, he would have been justified and and probably did hold some against me as well as his mother, for for putting him in this position. Uh And and I think any parent that's that's a horrible feeling to have, that that you're being blamed for your child's pain. And so I I I wanted to do anything I could, uh to not make him feel that way. I wanted to do everything I could to to have the reassurance that I was relevant uh, and that I was loved. But most of all, I wanted him to make sure. I wanted to make sure that he knew he was loved and and in and all of that kind of goes into the concept behind this. But as I say in the book, once I decided we were going to take this trip, the first thing I did was go to Panama to see my own biological father and to begin to sort through some of the issues that might shed light on my relationship with my son, and in so far as I could, to maybe begin to nudge the future a little bit more in a direction that I could live with.
Speaker 2: There was one more character I'd like to talk about, because it seems to be quite important to the story as well. And if I mispronounced this, you can correct me.
Speaker 7: And Julia sig. There we go, Julius Age who it was during this sort of dark period after my divorce, And I was on the road and one day, one evening really is the end of a very very hot day in the Arizona desert, and I drove off into the desert because I wanted to see what was a beautiful, beautiful, brilliant sunset, but I wanted to see it as far from humanity as I could possibly get. And I drove out into the desert in my four wheel drive pickup and went off roading a little bit. And while I was out there, came across a small monument. There was a chair, there was a little table. Somebody had put rocks around some of the greasewood shrub, you know, the scrub that was out there in the desert, and a little a sort of own fireplace, and and somebody had obviously lived in this area. But there was there was a sign that was posted there and it it it it it basically described that the man who had lived there had just died about a month before. Uh, and he had no one and and uh, I thought, you know, some who lives out in the desert and and under these circumstances, and who puts rocks around you know, these scrub plants in the desert like it's a home. And I became fascinated with this, and I wanted to know more. And when I investigated a little bit further, I found out that that Julius ag The had been a Czechoslovakian immigrant and and had himself had had died of a heart attack out in out there in the desert. He was a prospector and a desert rat, and he had no money, so he was buried in a pauper's grave in Courtzite, Arizona. During my research, I found that simultaneously that there was a son that he had abandoned decades before who was looking for him. And suddenly I felt that I was the only person in the world, and I think it's true. I was the only person in the world who knew that Julius Age was dead and that his son was looking for him. And it became a kind of obsession of mine to let this son know that his father that he was seeking had died. But none of the old message board posts by the son had good had good email addresses anymore. So the son was lost too now, and I began to put all those research skills to work, but unfortunately came up empty. And the one thing I did do, though, was leave a message with the county coroner in Quartzite, Arizona, and said, if this man ever contacts you, please tell him that I was trying to find him. It's maybe a year later when I get a call from the son and he had found his father's he had found out what happened to his father, and this coroner had told him that I had been trying to find him. So he called me and we talked, and I suddenly felt better that here was another son who had been seeking a father, and I didn't want that father to go unfound. What I find, well, what the son's reaction is is in the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a sort of anti climatic. It's surprising, yes, that is. But you did you know, it was interesting how hard you tried to do this, how much of a mission it was, and you accomplished what you set out to do. So I think I gave you so much need of confidence at that time, I would think, I think so.
Speaker 7: I think it made me feel I knew, as well as anybody can know, what it felt like to want to know what happened to your father, and I couldn't casually let that go. Maybe I should have, but I couldn't. And because it happened in that period after my divorce, I was especially attuned to family relationships and fathers who had disappeared, and it was you know, it all becomes part of this story.
Speaker 2: Now you embark on this trip to the Yukon and you have to go pick up your son Matt in Wyoming, fifteen hundred miles away, so it takes you a little while to get there. What did you really I know that you wanted to make sure that you had a bond your son, and you want to make sure you understood what that bond was. I'm oversimplifying this, but what else did What did you specifically feel and believe that you would actually get or garner from going on an actual road trip. What did you actually think would be had would be gotten from going on a road trip with your son? What would you what would he get out of it? What would you get out of it?
Speaker 7: At that point, it was hope. It wasn't believe. I mean, I was hoping that this would turn out, that this wouldn't collapse under its own weight, that it wouldn't be a bad idea. It was. It was really an effort to bridge a gap by creating memories. I wanted to show my son in a very concrete way that I loved him more than I could ever explain to him. And I wanted, you know, before I came to the end of my own life, I wanted to be able to give him the most precious thing I've got, and that's my own time, because it was the thing that I missed the most in that period when after my between the divorce and this trip, it was the one thing that was missing.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 7: That's what I was hoping was going to come from that. And I would say, in that fifteen hundred miles between my home in Texas and his home in Wyoming where we would finally really start the journey together, I had a lot of trepidation about it. I had a lot of fear that this was not going to be what I had hoped.
Speaker 2: Did you have some from your own experience reading classic books about road trips and the profound effect that a couple people could have on this road trip rip, on this journey. Did you have sort of a fanciful sort of visions of that that there would be some profound effect by virtue of the experience for Matt of being on the road and experiencing all these incredible sights and sounds and the experience itself. Did you, in your mind, in your in your in your literary imaginary mind, did you envision that Formatt?
Speaker 7: I again, I think I hoped for that. I mean, I already knew the character that he had, and that it would be a tough sell to make this romantic, because he's not a romantic. He's he's sort of a very pragmatic, very independent and still in many ways at the time angry, and so any vision I had this was going to be something romantic and and a fantasy come true. I didn't really entertain that it would have been unwise, but I did hope that along the way that that whether it was just an alignment of stars or something that I would say, or something that would be said to him, or maybe something that he just saw a fleeting past past as we were driving, would stick, and that it would that it would make sense to him, and that that maybe in some way he'd say, hey, Dad, I get it now, and it's okay now. That never happened, really, not at least in so many words.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 7: Nevertheless that was my hope. And and then the further the further we plunged into Canada, and the longer we were on the road, and the more we talked, and the more I began to see this thing unfolding out in front of me, there became another goal, and that was too and I didn't know what we were going to do, but it was this idea of that we talked about earlier, the disrupting that awful rhythm of accidental bastards, And I really became obsessed with the idea, what can I do that might break that rhythm, that might break that cycle while I have him? What can I say? What can I do? What can happen that we maximize the chances that someday he won't leave his own son or daughter, and that we will have we will have stomped that that terrible cycle out. And so those two things began to boil around together for me. Meanwhile, he's watching Scrubs re runs on his you know, portable DVD and listening to heavy metal and flirting with the girls, or at least having the girls flirt with him, and giving me these occasional glimpses into him that were surprising, uh and challenging and again, and of course that's all described there, but I would say it would be safe to say I think that what I had hoped for and what I had expected probably didn't happen. But what did happen was even more surprising. And so I think that it's a good example of, you know, being focused on one thing while something else wonderful is happening.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's a great way of putting it. Now you're talking about your son, Matt. He's got his Mega Death and his Pana T shirt on, and he's got his long hair, and he's listening, like you say, he's watching Scrubs reruns. And he's nineteen years old. And so you're in Canada and within a few days, I believe or shortly, and you go through Calgary, Alberta. So you're going through part of the Rockies that you're familiar with, but not immediately obviously.
Speaker 7: No, no, yea.
Speaker 2: But so tell us at what some of the checkpoints and some just just a couple of the little the snippets of those profound little moments where along the way as you're heading towards the Yukon, you do have these moments. I know. The one moment I thought was quite humorous is that in the as you mentioned, the Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Maintenance, there is a moment where they see a red winged blackbird and along the way, lo and behold there's a red winged blackbird and much to your dismay, Matt could care less, probably or it does not get and so you explain it. Please tell us a little bit about that interaction there, and then tell us about one where you were surprised, where you did something profound did happen again to your surprise, maybe was uninspected.
Speaker 7: Yeah, of course. Robert Percy wrote the books in in the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance back in the maybe late sixties, early seventies, and it became one of the great rogue books. I mean, is a very deep book. It goes into philosophy in these sort of complex turn but but it revolves around he and around him and his son making a run from I think the Dakota's across Montana to California on motorcycle, and the sun is much younger, I think about ten or eleven years old at the time of the trip, and Perzig, who had and it's a true story, persick had had a nervous breakdown in his life, and he he was he was concerned that that his insanity would be passed on to his child, and he didn't want his child to go through that insanity. So there's a kind of a parallel there. Well, we're traveling across Montana on you know, sort of the beginning leg of this trip, and we do we see in in in you know, the middle of nowhere, here's a winged blackbird, a red wing blackbird, much like Persig had contemplated on his own trip and talked about his son, and it became one of the symbols of the story. So I mentioned it to my son. He never heard of the book, didn't much care, if you know, if such a book existed, you know, And suddenly his writer father it becomes father again and wants to to tell the story and and for him to understand and to see the parallels, but he's kind of uninterested in that. And it's it. I think it's a nice little vignette of that every father feels at some point where he's trying to get something important to cross to a teenage a teenager and it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and uh.
Speaker 7: And then so in this book, you know, it's a uh, it becomes one of those those illuminating moments where you begin to see that these two characters that are together for the next three plus weeks on the road are are not always going to see things the same way. Sure as far as later, I mean, I remember.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 7: I guess it was. We were well into Canada at the time, and I we had been talking about mythology and religion, and again finding that we we didn't always agree on things, but I was impress with his with his thoughts. While I didn't agree, I loved, I fell in love with listening to him tell me why he felt something. And there I remember in particular that one night he was he had a duffel bag and and I was moving it or something, and when something fell out of it, and I think, I say in the book that I would have been less surprised if it had been a bag of marijuana. Instead, it was a copy of a book by a guy, a writer named Brian Green, called The Elegant Universe, super Strings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory.
Speaker 8: Well, huh, I.
Speaker 7: Mean, I thought, I mean it was talking about things like rips in the fabric of space, vibrating strings, quarks, you know, things that I wasn't going to grasp. And yet my nineteen year old son appeared to be well into reading about and so here I was frustrated by my inability to get him to be interested in Persik's red Winged Blackbird and this personal this personal exploration that he made when I discovered that my son is really pondering issues that are beyond his father. So again it's a little illumination of the difference between these two characters. And I think that ultimately the book kind of explores how men, even you know, fathers and sons, can be both comrades and competitors in the wilderness. Now maybe that's a physical wilderness, geographic wilderness. Maybe it's an emotional wilderness, so you get you, you know, just because we're father and son, it doesn't mean necessarily that we're always comrades. Yeah, uh, sometimes we're competing. And I think those two those two moments show.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, certainly. Now, the original idea was to go to this what ends up being the Sour Dough Saloon where the there is the Sour Toe Cocktail. So please briefly explain what is the legend of or the story behind the Sour Toe Cocktail whatever.
Speaker 7: The bar owner, a guy named Dick Stevens, who owned the Sourdough Saloon at one point there in Dawson City, bought an old rum runner's cabin out and out in the sticks and one of the rum runners who had owned it. Were two brothers and one night during the depression, they were running liquor into Alaska and they got the Mounties got on their tail. They had to take some evasive maneuvers, and one of the brothers stepped in a sort of semi frozen area and on the journey his toes became frostbitten. They get home, his brother chops off the frostbitten toe, puts it in a jar of whiskey or rum, and they put it because it's winter, they put it under the floorboards of the cabin, where it stays for decades. This Dick Stevens is it buys that cabin from the elderly surviving brother who tells him the story, and indeed, as he's refurbishing the cabin, he finds that tow in the jar. He takes it back to his bar and it's it's it's just a conversation piece everybody's talking about. They're joking around, and then and then somebody puts it in somebody's drink as a joke, and it dawns on him that this is a little bit like Robert serves his poem the ice Worm Cocktail, where they put a piece of spaghetti and a you know, tenderfoots drink and it makes him sick because he thinks it's an ice worm. And it became a thing, you know, that you could test your metal by by raising a glass I had this mummified human toe in it and drinking the drink. Well, now they've made it into a tourist thing, although not every tourist who goes there is going to do it. So uh, it has become famous, or at least at least in the right circles. If you travel in the perverse grotesque circles that crime writers like I do, yeh, then then you know you hear about it. But so that I don't really even recall how I've found out about it originally. And just like I say, it became a shared fantasy that we had that we were going to do this, and indeed we did.
Speaker 2: Now, how are you traveling to Dawson Dawson Creek and how are you you rented? Tell us what you rent or how you how you actually go there, and what your accommodations are along the way.
Speaker 7: Well we we drove in my Subaru to Calgary, and in Calgary we rented a camper van, which we then drove not just to Dawson City, but then beyond that up the dempse Her Highway into the Arctic, where we intended again to do another another poetic thing on on the father's part, uh to camp out on the longest day of the year when the sun doesn't set. So we have this story that starts in this intense darkness after a divorce and ends on a day when there is no darkness. And you know, it's a it is just a beautiful poetic thing, but it's it's absolutely true. And that's what we did. We we were in a camper van, uh, which we then did a little damage to because the Dempster Highway is is a bitch of a.
Speaker 2: Road and you were warned, and.
Speaker 7: We were warned many times, and we dismissed it. We thought, oh, you know, these pussies we could you know they're there, what do they know? You know we're from Wyoming. Yeah, well we were wrong.
Speaker 2: They were right.
Speaker 7: Now I've said it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Canadians were right.
Speaker 7: The Canadians, the Scottish people, the Germans, everybody along the way told us. In fact, I think even one Texan uh, everybody knew the reputation of the Dempster Highway. We knew it was a bad road, but we didn't think it could be as bad as they were saying. And again we were wrong. It is as bad, but it's also as beautiful as it is bad.
Speaker 2: Now, by the time you get to the sourdough saloon that you talk about the evening before, and you're you're eating some local food, some arctic char which I've had myself. Fantastic, fantastic. Now you are going to go to this sourdough saloon to the sour they have to sample this sour toil cocktail. See what all the fuss is tell us about what happens when you go to the saloon itself and you refer to someone at the back of the room.
Speaker 7: Refer to somebody at the oh, you're talking about the fellow that did our the toe. What do you what are you talking about?
Speaker 8: They say, well, you have to talk to that person, and he was all right, okay, well yeah, they call him the captain, and he the toe captain is somebody who really whose main function is to administer the oath and then to drop the toe into the drink, and then to ascertain that it touched your lips.
Speaker 7: In our case, we wanted to take pictures, and it's kind of hard to take a picture through a cocktail glass and see if this toe touched your lips. So in both my son and Maya case, we we actually took the toe in our mouth between our lips so that you could see that it clearly touched our lips. And but the the Toe Captain is sort of the MC, and he's the guy that keeps everything running and and takes your money and and gives you issues your certificate that that represents your your membership in the Sour Toe Cocktail Club. Uh and uh, I'm proud to say my son and I are both members, which I think only means that we can we can always go back to the Sour Dough Saloon and drink the Sour Toe cocktail without paying the extra five dollars or something that it costs to have the toe put in your glass there. So it's a great money saver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, now we will. We're a little bit over the hour, but we'll just spend a few more minutes here. This whole trip was a little over three weeks. You said, Yeah, what is the most profound thing that you learned? I know we've talked about a little bit, but at the end of this entire thing, to wrap up in terms of the journey itself, basically it was a success. But tell us what you learned the most. What was the most profound thing that you learned in that in this journey with your son.
Speaker 7: I think that here I was this this a vagabond, maybe much like my biological father, that I had relished in my life and in my career, these risks of being a war correspondent or writing out a hurricane and doing some of the things that I did and would do again. Yet there were risks in my life life that I refused to take that thousands of people take every day, and that is, you know, just surrendering to love and recognizing when it comes along and risking the hurt that goes with it. Of course, at that point, I knew the hurt that went with it, and I was reluctant to take that risk again. So, you know, I think that the biggest thing was this epiphany that I had about the nature of risk and how I was perfectly willing to do some of the most risky things that humans do, and then perfectly frightened of risking things that ordinary people do every day. So there was that I think that you know, uh, the book talks about in it in its way that reassures us that we don't need to repeat the sins of our fathers and then we can we can navigate our own paths quite well. And and that that, uh, there there are ways we we we're not we're not hostage to our history. So I think those are the two the two things. You know, it's sometimes it just takes extraordinary courage to come out on the other side of a great sadness and to accept your flaws and to find love. And really, once you do that, putting a corpse toe in your mouth is pretty damny.
Speaker 2: Incredible. One last question here, Uh, how has your son Matt respond to the idea of the book and is he planning to read it or has read it? What is what is the plan with Matt regarding this book that certainly he is a big, huge part.
Speaker 7: Of well, he of course knows everything about the book.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 7: There was a lot of collaboration during the writing on where I was asking questions and trying to get at some of his interior. But during during the time it was in manuscript form, he didn't want to read it. Not because he was afraid of it or anything. It was just he wanted to read the book.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: Well, the book just arrived literally last Thursday, So as far as he and I are concerned, it wasn't a book until last Thursday, and he immediately got a copy. I think it was sent to him Friday. So honestly, I don't know yet. I think he's going to be okay with I haven't heard bad, but I don't think he's actually had a chance to read the book, or if he has, he hasn't had a chance to digest it and respond. I'm pretty sure though that he's still going to be mad because I don't get Pantera. Gon to be mad, be it.
Speaker 2: I just don't get it, don't appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right, I just can't.
Speaker 2: Well, there's still time, n.
Speaker 7: I've got plenty of time to get into heavy metal.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it'll have.
Speaker 2: Me, it'll maybe not. Man. Oh well, you know, Ron, this was really a lot of fun. Again. Once again, you're a great interview and I love speaking with you and letting you explain your incredible books. And this book, like you say, it's quite different from this program, almost entirely. We do something has to do with murder, and there's no murder in this entire book. And yet I think the audience will very much enjoy this interview with uh you run and talking about your personal life. I think it's personal, poignant, humorous and profound, and I think it was a very enjoyable read and of course the follow up I get to enjoy having an interview with you, So thank you very much. Ron.
Speaker 7: You're so nice and you're you're just so generous having me on your program. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a lot of fun and I'm sure the audience had a great time. So I want to thank you very much once again, and have yourself a great evening. Run.
Speaker 7: Thank you Dan very much.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you and talk to you soon. Ron, Thank you you, bet ayebye. You've been listening to the program True Murder, the Most Shocking Killers and through crime history and the authors that have written about them with my special guest, Ron Francell with his new book, The Sourtoe Cocktail Club. That's Ron friend, Sell, good night,