Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Yet another aftershock, Devra, did you feel the aftershock from early this morning?
Speaker 2: And please tell me you were not in the shower at fourth No.
Speaker 3: I was in my bed and my dogs jumped up and I said, oh no, not again. But fortunately it was very quick, but yes, I felt it, and it was like right around five o'clock.
Speaker 1: Hey, let me let me suggest that your dogs you might want to get a hold of these shake alert app people and have them hook up something to your dogs, because it sounds like your dogs are the ones who are predicting these things or at least giving you the early warning.
Speaker 3: But you know, actually we felt it at the same exact time, so it was exact.
Speaker 4: I mean I popped up and they popped up at the same time.
Speaker 1: Somewhere your dogs are saying yeah, and then she jumped up right when it started shaking, and we knew something was going on.
Speaker 3: But you know, now, I'm I rely on that shake alert app. So since I didn't get you know, didn't squawk at me, I knew it wasn't going to be anything big.
Speaker 1: So I'm okay with I don't want you to rely too heavily on it because it will let you down.
Speaker 4: Well it hasn't so far, I know.
Speaker 1: But it's weird you count yourself a lucky one. I'm signed up for all of.
Speaker 4: Them, and you never you haven't gotten it yet.
Speaker 2: Well, you know the one.
Speaker 1: The one time I did get an alert was when that earthquake hit just over the grapevine. Yes, and I felt that one at the moment the alert to hit my phone.
Speaker 3: Okay, you didn't get a few seconds to go hide under your bed.
Speaker 1: I I'm not, No, I didn't even get a few seconds. I just I felt it at the same time that the phone buzzed.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So, and I haven't seen anyone since then.
Speaker 1: And we've had three or four that were sizeable enough that and I've been close enough to them that I technically should have gotten the alert.
Speaker 2: That's disappointing, because why I'm worried.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid that you're going to rely too much on this and then an earthquake's gonna and you're not gonna have an alert, and then you're going to be You're going to lose all faith in society would for sure.
Speaker 3: And I know this is really stupid to say, and I'm just gonna say it anyway, because it's just a dream.
Speaker 4: It's it's not reality.
Speaker 3: But I wish there was a way that we could somehow eliminate earthquakes from the world.
Speaker 4: I really, I'm just gonna throw it out there. I know it's not.
Speaker 1: Possible for all the things to eliminate from the world. You think an earthquake is the thing you want to.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I would be so much happier murder. You know that's people are in control of.
Speaker 1: That, right, Okay, I see what you're saying. I do see what you're saying. All right, it's time for swamp watch.
Speaker 2: The swamp is horrible. The government doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Make It's like a reality TV show, A bad doos always a pleasure.
Speaker 2: To be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: Hey Joe, a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 2: Still a swamp. I have to watch make said the swamp.
Speaker 5: I said, Oh, that's so, you know the thing?
Speaker 2: Well, I wanted to go to Rancho Palace.
Speaker 1: Verti's President Trump is holding a news conference outside of his golf course, among other things. He's been talking about Kamala Harris's record when she was in California as a da up in San Francisco, but also as attorney general and is now taking questions from reports.
Speaker 6: The government has tremendous power.
Speaker 5: But we're not going to let states, even like California, even though I know it's largely sanctuary state essentially, but we're not going to let that happen to the people of California. They want these people out. They're just as scared as everybody else. The people of Ohio are scared. The people of Colorado. You have a governor there who's very weak. He doesn't know what to do, and he doesn't want to talk about it a lot of it. As for your question, they don't want to talk about what's happening. They say it's so bad for the city, let's not go public. Let's live with it for a little while. Maybe it'll go away. It's not going to go away. It's going to get worse. It's going to get so bad. You know what we're experiencing now is they're just getting settled in.
Speaker 6: These twenty one million people that have come in. They're just getting settled in. It's going to get much worse.
Speaker 5: It's going to get worse at a level like nobody's ever seen before, Gohingd.
Speaker 1: This other question is about the economy that he's about to get. He's been talking a lot about immigration, etc. But this question is about the economy. Very far off microphone, so you can by.
Speaker 6: Lowering taxes and regulations.
Speaker 5: And what they're doing is they're seeing that every time it looks like Kamala is doing well, companies want to leave stock markets go down.
Speaker 6: The stock market.
Speaker 5: There's a great gentleman, Scott Best into one of the top Wall Street people. He said, the market's only up because they all think that Trump is going to get elected. We had a great stock market even with COVID. We ended up handing over a market that was higher than previous to COVID or the China virus coming in. Now, we are going to make sure that the taxes are going to stay where they are and or come down.
Speaker 6: Ideally, come down both for the middle.
Speaker 5: Class and for corporations, because corporations put the people to work. We have the best numbers in the history of our country by far, not even close.
Speaker 6: And there are companies leaving all.
Speaker 1: Right, well, again, the topics from this news conference that former President Trump gave this morning an RPV. Specifically, he spent time talking about Kamala Harris's record as district attorney in San Francisco, but as Attorney general in California in general as well before she became a senator and has been taking questions from reporters for a while now. One of the criticisms, of course, now fifty three days out from the election, is that Vice President Harris has not done an event like this, so that he's proving his point, or proving Republicans conservative voter's point, that she hasn't been answering questions the way that he has. She happens to be in the battleground state Pennsylvania today. She's doing a couple of rallies there, and after President Trump wraps up this news conference, he's headed to Vegas tonight. Governor Tim Walls, of course, the running mate of Kamala Harris, planning to make several campaign stops in Michigan and Wisconsin. So it is outside of this stop this morning for former President Trump, it's going to be an all battleground Friday for the candidates. A little bit more about one of the people that has been seen in Donald Trump's orbit in the last couple of days, specifically.
Speaker 2: And that's Laura Loomer.
Speaker 1: Why she is causing problems for other Republicans who would like to support Trump, but they don't want to be connected to this lady.
Speaker 2: Who she is?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 1: This whole bipartisan group speaking of Washington, d C. Has signed a bipartisan pledge to uphold the results of the election, even though we don't know what the results of the election are. This pair of centrists, self described centrists, Congressman Josh Gotttheimer of New Jersey is a Democrat and Don Bacon, a Republican out of Nebraska, said that they've been working for months to organize what they call this Unity Commitment, an agreement to safeguard the fairness and integrity of the upcoming election. There were at least five other Republicans that signed on Brian Fitzpatrick Pennsylvania, Mike Lawler out of New York, Lori Chaves Rimmer out of Oregon, Niko Loloda out of New York, and Anthony Diesposito out of New York, But none of the six who signed the pledge voted against certifying the election four years ago. Some of them weren't even in office yet. As a matter of fact, one hundred and thirty nine House Republicans did vote against certifying the results of that twenty twenty election. One of the issues that has been dogging Donald Trump in the last couple of days is the inclusion of Laura Loomer on his campaign, and she has garnered a lot of derision, not just from Democrats and liberals and media members, but some within the Republican Party as well, because they say that she is not just a social media influencer, she is way too far right social media influencer, and that all she's doing is cashing in on the fact that he appreciated he being Donald Trump appreciates the fact that she is stroking his ego and going for some of his political instincts at their most base level. And in fact, for apparently for months, campaign officials have been trying to keep her away from him, knowing that she brings with her a reputation and that is not going to be positive. Well, this week, she was on the plane as he went to the debate in Pennsylvania and the next day to the memorial services for September eleventh. They set her presence at the memorial infuriated some pots politicians again, not just Democrats, but some Republicans because one of the many conspiracy theories that she has talked about and has made her name on is that she believes that the September eleventh attacks were an inside job. So this means that some of the people who were otherwise give full endorsements to Donald Trump are now in a fight with her because they don't think that she is good for the campaign. And I'll use just a couple of names. Marjorie Taylor Green, a Republican out of Georgia, of course. And if Marjorie Taylor Green is against you, saying you're too wacky, you should take note of that. Lindsey Graham, who at one point we all thought had wiped his hands clean of Donald Trump, has now become a Donald Trump supporter once again. They have both of those two, Lindsey Graham and Marjorie Taylor Green, said that they want Trump to ditch her, stop traveling with Laura Lumer.
Speaker 2: Her backed out.
Speaker 1: Now that means that Laura Lumer is fighting back because that's her personality and that's how she does things. She in fact, Laura Lumer on Twitter X has been posting videos from this news conference that we've been watching where he's taking questions down in Rancho Palace Verdes. They're talking about the loss of faith that the former president has in some of his campaign aids and their fear of upsetting him. Last month, in fact, he brought back Corey Lewandowski to be an.
Speaker 2: Advisor to his advisors.
Speaker 1: Corey Lewandowski, the campaign manager from twenty sixteen who was surreptitiously bounced out of the campaign and the Trump circle after he got in trouble for either pushing or physically contacting reporter in an event. A senior official said, this explains why Laura Lumer has now been brought into the Trump fold. The people that have the authority to stop it are is now try to hang on to their jobs. So do you pick a fight with them if in fact this is the person that he wants around, even if you think she may be bad for she may be bad for the campaign.
Speaker 2: We also mentioned the Taylor Swift thing.
Speaker 1: So Taylor Swift in Doris's vice president Harris, and there's questions about who's going to pay attention to that.
Speaker 2: Is that really important?
Speaker 1: Does a pop star get to call the shots when it comes to an American election? Kind of? It's important because it does make a difference. Vote dot gov, the federal government's voting registration site.
Speaker 2: Vote dot gov, says they saw.
Speaker 1: More than four hundred thousand visitors to their voter registration site in the twenty four hours after Taylor Swift made that announcement. Doesn't necessarily mean that four hundred thousand people registered to be Democrats or that dyaved registered at all, but that they did go to the website. So it is you have to admit that she does have some pull and can some action, whatever that is. We've talked about the earthquakes, obviously in the last couple of days, in the earthquake drought that still exists despite we've seen, despite seeing some earthquakes. There was a nine day vibration, not necessarily an earthquake, but a nine day vibration that reverberated around the world. We'll talk about what that was and how they figured out what it was. Thousands of Boeing workers walked off the job today. They rejected a contract offer from the company, potentially costly disruption because Boeing is trying to increase airplane production after the you know, the very bad pr I guess we could say of an entire door plug blowing out of a seven thirty seven back at the beginning of January. This is the first strike at Boeing in sixteen years, and they said that basically all production of seven thirty sevens, seven sixty sevens and triple sevens has ground to a halt at this point. There's not an expectation that we're going to see airlines canceling flights or anything, but if this thing drags on, there could be some problems. There could be some individual airlines that have problems getting those airplanes back, you know, as their regular votation. Kentucky Governor Andy Bursheer says that law enforcement officer is going to be posed at high school football games tonight and stationed along school bus routes in an attempt to ease the fear in some of the nearby communities after a series of shootings along I seventy five in Kentucky from last weekend. Five people injured in those shootings, and the governor said he's got all the faith in the world that the local law enforcement along with FBI, Marshall Service, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco On, Firearms and Explosives will catch the suspect of this Joseph Couch guy and bring him to justice. But as Shannon mentioned earlier in the show, that guy also said he was going to kill himself, so he may be out sort of in the Kentucky wildlands, just being eaten by bugs and bears. So we talked also about the earthquakes and the aftershocks. One this morning, there was a strange rumble detected in mid September a year ago, and they said it was an eye on an odd seismic signal at different scientific stations around the globe, and it wasn't It wasn't an earthquake because it didn't have the same super scratchy wiggly lines that you would find on a seismograph after an earthquake. And after a day they said that this very slow tremor was still reverberating and again different parts of the globe, and they couldn't figure out what was causing it. Some thought it might have been broken seismographs. No, they wouldn't all break at the same time. Some thought it was a volcano that was going to erupt from somewhere, whether it was in the Pacific or somewhere in Iceland or something like that.
Speaker 2: That wasn't it.
Speaker 1: And as they went through and checked off all of these different options, they simply called this thing not a UFO, but a US an unidentified seismic object. Nine days go by, and nine days later the vibrations had dissipated for the most part. But they finally say that they have discovered what caused nine days of vibrations on the Earth that they previously didn't realize. It took seventy people from fifteen different countries and more than eight thousand exchanged messages to crack this case.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal.
Speaker 1: A mega tsunami created waves that sloshed back and forth in a fjord in Greenland, and that caused the vibrations that traveled around the world. There was a glacier that was thinning in eastern Greenland over time so much that it couldn't support the mountain rock that was above it. The five hundred foot thick piece of metamorphic rock about a third of a mile wide and long fell because the glacier underneath it was thinning triggers this massive landslide, and they said that enough rock and ice to fill about ten thousand Olympic sized swimming pools was traveling forty seven meters per second and ran for more than a mile. And this avalanche all fell into something called the Dixon Fjord, and that triggered a six hundred and fifty foot tsunami. Six hundred and fifty foot high tsunami, one of the highest that they had seen in recent history, and farther away from that, they said tsunami waves reached thirteen feet high, damaged an unoccupied research station, destroyed some heritage sites, cultural and archaeological heritage sites that had never been affected by tsunamis as long as it had been there. About two hundred thousand dollars worth of infrastructure was destroyed, and although the Dixon Fjord is visited by tourists and cruise ships, there weren't any there mid September of last year to capture any of this. Thankfully, no fatalities reported, but they said that the megasunami wave traveled back and forth in this inlet and created a standing wave called I don't know how to pronounce it, but I'm gonna say it anyway. A sache seich.
Speaker 2: Called a sash.
Speaker 1: We see small scale sashes, rhythmic oscillation and water. You see it in a swimming pool. You can see it in a bathtub. Better know how aggressive you are in your bathtub.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But the tsunami source was so energetic that they said the sashe radiated seismic waves globally and again for nine days. The vibrations from that stage rebounded back and forth across around the world the entire earth. Members of the Danish military sailed into the fjord but several days after the event to collect drone footage of the mountain face that had fallen and the glacier front and the scars that were left by the tsunami. But again they still didn't understand the connection between the landslide causing the tsunami and then the wave and the events that unfolded, which were detailed in a new study. Follow along when you get your journal Science in the mail later today. Let's check in on the world of entertainment, shall we.
Speaker 2: The following program is for entertainment purposes. Own life Welcome.
Speaker 6: Two nights entertainment.
Speaker 2: I have to entertain. Is this entertainment I have to entertain?
Speaker 6: I want to bring good quality entertainment here.
Speaker 2: I am entertainment, are you not? At the time, entertainment to light.
Speaker 1: And like all Basslord parties, there was some entertainment legendary, mythical creature. Jason Nathanson is joining us from over the Hill in Hollywood, ABC's entertainment correspondent, How you been?
Speaker 7: Jane at good sad about the liver worst news out of Boarshead though?
Speaker 1: Was that a Was that a meat product that you would put in your meathole? I don't feel like that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: It actually is.
Speaker 7: Growing up with German grandparents, I am a I'm a liver worst eater. I haven't had it in a while. It's not you know, it's not one of the things that's healthiest for.
Speaker 1: You well, especially when it comes with listeria that too.
Speaker 7: There's a great German deli in the valley though, that we used to go to as a kid, and they had great meat products. I don't know if they are boars Head or not, but I love a good liver worst. I love I love all things, you know, chopped liver all worsts.
Speaker 2: He like all livers and all worsts. Yeah, I'm a big fan.
Speaker 7: But shocking that that plant uh only made liverworst?
Speaker 2: Right is that what you just said?
Speaker 1: No? But but that the that place that was making liver worst has a specific production process only used for liverworst. So it's not in their turkey or chicken or ham or any of that stuff. That that that's a different.
Speaker 7: Because the place shutting down was was five hundred jobs that were lost.
Speaker 2: And I was going to say, that's a lot of people to just make liver worst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'll bet you there's maybe five hundred people worldwide do make liver worst problem, and four hundred of them are in Germany, and.
Speaker 2: We just lost. And we just lost something that's sad for the culture. A big deal. The Emmy's coming up on Sunday night. Emmy Sunday night. Woo you excited? You having a party? I wasn't invited to your amber. I don't generally have Emmy parties. I like to have quiet time during the Emmys. Oh, in focus, it shows Yeah, it's a very personal moment.
Speaker 7: Really get into yeah and see how your pool is doing right, Your Emmy's pool, so you put big money on huge So we will see what happens with with the on Sunday.
Speaker 2: We have First of all.
Speaker 7: We have been told remember you know, I don't think you probably didn't because you probably didn't watch. But the Emmys earlier this year, so this is the second Emmys this year.
Speaker 2: I think this is the first time that's ever happened, right, because.
Speaker 7: We had the the Emmys from last year were moved to this year because of the strike.
Speaker 2: So the Emmys earlier this year, they did these.
Speaker 7: Kind of throwback things where they had people from different shows. It wasn't really some of them were bigger reunions than others, but they had the sets of some of the shows. And people seem to really like that, the nostalgia, So they said they're going to lean into that again this year. And you also have a couple of big anniversaries to do that with. First of all, Happy Days turns fifty this year, wow, and the West Wing turns twenty five this year, so they're going to have some cast members from those shows.
Speaker 2: But also they're doing some stuff work where they're doing archetypes. They're grouping archetypes, so they're going to group together.
Speaker 7: Maybe some famous TV moms might be interesting. TV villains might be another group. So look for some nostalgia based stuff like that. I'm not going to tell them how to run their show, but you know, I don't looking towards nostalgia's great for a medium. Then that's not you know, streaming is doing well, but broadcast television is not doing so well.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. Maybe not so much with the nostalgia. But I brought to you by Facebook exactly. And then you have Dan and Eugene Levy who are doing the hosting.
Speaker 7: I think, do you think I don't know? I'm I'm skeptical. I'll hold full judgment until we actually see it. But I was not necessarily impressed.
Speaker 2: By the choice. Not that I don't like them. I think they are very funny.
Speaker 7: But in terms of the hosting role, anytime any of these award shows have gone kind of off script.
Speaker 2: And then like the Oscars a couple of years ago when they had the three women do.
Speaker 7: It right, it was I don't remember exactly who it was, Amy Schumer.
Speaker 2: And there were two others. Why do you hate women? Sorry? I had to say it. Kashannon's not here appreciating on the way. I appreciate that, thank you.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: And of course the Oscars when James Franco and Anne Hathaway did it.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, that's good, I mean, but Tina Fey and Amy Poehler have done it and they've done well.
Speaker 7: But they are also stand up comedians in a way or sketch comedy people who have done Saturday Night Live and things like that before. Eugene Levy has done this stuff, Dan Levy not necessarily they're funny people. That doesn't make them necessarily good hosts for an award show. It's a very different muscle. So again, I'll reserve full judgment, but I don't know how that's necessarily going to work.
Speaker 2: Let's just have high hopes.
Speaker 1: I love Joe Koy, but I don't want to repeat of the Golden Globes because that was hard to watch.
Speaker 7: So that I mean, I guess that that is the opposite side of things, where that was a stand up comedian who didn't do well right, And.
Speaker 2: We've seen you know Carmichael.
Speaker 7: Also, although I liked his hosting of the Golden Globes a couple of years ago, it was not well received. There are some people who do this thing well and some who you know.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 7: But when it comes to shows that you're looking out for on the drama side, Showgun is far and away the favorite to win Best Drama, The Bear far and away the favorite to win Best quote unquote Comedy, and Baby Reindeer. When it comes to limited series, right, those are the few that you should.
Speaker 2: Be looking out for.
Speaker 1: I do still think it's funny that The Bear is up for comedy series.
Speaker 7: That's the funniest thing about The Bear, yeah, is that it's for comedy series.
Speaker 2: I did like a lot. There was a lot of shows that I really did appreciate.
Speaker 1: And when it comes to the actors, though, I want to see some nobody do something different than I've seen them do every other time. That to me should be a prerequisite if you're gonna be if you're gonna win Best For just Exit as an example, lead actor in a drama series, you've got Idris Elba and Hijack. We've seen him be the hero before Donald Glover and mister Missus Smith. We've seen him kind of be the smart ass before Walton Goggins in Fallout. He's been a a that was probably the biggest stretch out of those so far. But Gary Oldman and Slow Horses was Gary Oldman.
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, And you know, well, I mean, have we seen Walton Goggins be a cowboy zombie before?
Speaker 2: That's something different. But he's been an odd character before. I mean that he that he has. But you know.
Speaker 7: A lot of these guys, they do what what works, and that's how casting works, right, you don't want to do something too crazy. But uh, you know, I don't think a lot of people have seen Heryuki Sonata from Showgun do do that kind of thing because people most people aren't familiar with his work before. So if he wins that that'll be something different and and something interesting, you know I I And we're gonna see the character from the Bear win. So you know, Jeremy Allen White's gonna get up there and give another acceptance speech, which we've seen it, you know, so many award shows over the past year, which you know that that kind of.
Speaker 2: A little boring.
Speaker 1: It would be kind of funny if he just did the same speech that he did a few months ago.
Speaker 2: That would be funny.
Speaker 7: That would be very funny, I would but that would be you know, a comedy writers would write that, but he's not.
Speaker 2: On a comedy. He's not funny. I mean, he may be funny, but he's not in a comedy. He's not on a company.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about him playing Springsteen though, in that biopic.
Speaker 2: That should be interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I liked it.
Speaker 2: I liked it. You reserve judgment. I like it. You say it's interesting, but you'll make your judgment later.
Speaker 7: It's it's these are all interesting choices. Tim Timothy Shalloon is Bob Dylan later this year, give that biopic.
Speaker 2: We'll see how that, how that works out. We have one too many Timothy Chalomez already what we do? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Oh okay, I didn't know you were sour on Timothy Chalomey. It just feels like dreamy over oversaturation. Oh I don't need more Kilowne commercials every time I see that guy. Wow, that's all I think about. Geez, I didn't know you were such a hater. Jeremy Allen White though in his underwear that you're down for that A different story, different difference.
Speaker 1: That's great. Have a great weekend. You tail taxon Nathanson over the hill in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 1: You can always hear us live on kf I am six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app