Speaker 1: It's with Dan ray On de Boston.
Speaker 2: Treating the Boston Globe this morning. It was an interesting story out of Somerville, and it's a sad story. The headline on the Globe story was closing over misbehavior. The Central Library in Somerville now will close its doors on certain days because young people, teenagers, students, high school students apparently have been doing some really just crazy things inside of a library. Now, those of us who grew up with a library where if you talked of the library and would come over and say there's no talking in the library, or they tell us please sh no talking, Well, I guess the teens have been, amongst other things, lighting firecrackers, according to the Globe article, getting into fights inside the library. I mean, this is behavior that is way over the top and disturbing peers who would come to study relax after a long day at school. That some kids will lighten up whatever they will lighten up these days. I hope it's just cigarettes with us. Is a city councilor Kristin Stresso Council Stresso. Welcome to Nightside. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well. Thank you, I'm just fine. Thanks thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: No, well, thank you very much, And again I just would like to get a sense from you what is going on here? You know, this is this is behavior that shouldn't happen. I think all of us would agree with that. But what's prompting it? And what do you think about the response of the library, which which is to close the library at hours during the week which would be most convenient to students when school closes. They basically are saying, Okay, the behavior of some has been abhorrent, and as a consequence, no one's going to have access to the library, whether you're someone who misbehaves or someone who comports themselves perfectly well.
Speaker 3: Right, and and that's a great way to summer summarize it. And I think that a lot of parents, residents, library patrons, and well everyone is really their mouths are open. However, the decision to do so was an absolutely last resort. And I am not speaking on behalf of the librarians, but it has been a complex issue that has the what I say by issue a situation of misbehavior happening inside the library, but it's a it's a culbination of a few things going on at the same time, and the decision that the library representatives UH and the trustees side on. This was the absolute worst of the last last desperate solution and of this So if we can break it down, it's it's a couple of things happening at the same time. We have we have some misbehavior of some teenagers, but but also we have to make sure everyone feels safe. So we have to make sure that everybody feels safe. So when we have incidences of teenagers dropping firecrackers in the book drop, that's a problem in our liberation correct during during business hours, not now. But we also, above everything, we have to make sure that our teenagers and our youth feel supported as well. And I'm going to try not to bounce and I'm gonna trying to talk about because it's the dialog, right, it's a very it's a couple of things going on. For while the librarians and the trustees have asked for over a year and a half now for more support on what's been going on in the library, more support via staff, more support the security measures such as cameras, and so we're really calling on the administration in the Mayor's office and our city departments to really hop out with this. There have been a lot of steps in the past to engage our Somerville youth, our teens and under under teenagers, such as we opened a team Center, and they pushed really hard as a counselor to make sure that happened, because that was one thing that our teenagers consistently said they wanted some spaces where they can be teenagers. We don't have that right now. We don't have we we had a team Center, it had.
Speaker 4: To be relocated.
Speaker 3: We had it when it was opened in November of twenty one, I believe.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you a couple of questions because I want to try to answer you. When it says Summerville Central Library, is that the main public library? I know there were branch libraries. Is that the big one?
Speaker 4: Correct? We have three?
Speaker 3: And the central Library is directly next door to the high school.
Speaker 2: Right, So, therefore, do we have any idea how long this level of really bad behavior has been going on? Is this something that has just propped up this summer or does it have a longer pedigree than that.
Speaker 3: It's been going on for a while. And again we're not I want to make very clear that there is no finger pointing of well, these how these teenagers are these kids? It's not like that at all. It's that there are numerous steps that we have to be taking.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, I forget that, but I'm just I'm just focusing first. If I could, you know, just so I understand this, I don't want to overstate it. So, if is it been going on for a year? How long has the library been having to deal with this level of you know, we'll call it, you know, misbehavior or juvenile or whatever whatever phrase you want to use. It's been going on for more than a year.
Speaker 3: Definitely over a year.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the librarians have been frustrated. Let me ask a really dumb question. Did anybody come up with the idea of, hey, why don't we post a police officer inside the library, you know during the afternoon, you know, from the time the kids get out of school two or two thirty until say five o'clock. I mean, did anyone I mean that I think would serve as that deterred, would it not?
Speaker 3: It's a good question. And however, we want to make sure that no and behavior gets completely out of hand. That is that is still uh that that is an option. However, we want to make sure that we are uh making the uh the how do I say this? It's it's it's ten ten at night. So I'll ask the question.
Speaker 2: Did anybody ever say, hey, look, let's have a police one police officer, just one police officer in that library beginning let's say two o'clock in the after whatever, you know, whenever the school gets out two o'clock in the afternoon, two to five whatever.
Speaker 3: There were questions of ken we hire security, and can we have security guards? And can we have can we have a police officer if necessary.
Speaker 2: A security guard? And those kids will laugh at a security guard, They'll laugh at some guy who shows up. We're in it, you know, I mean, you and I both know that. But but if they give a police officer a hard time, police officers simply calls for us some backup. And at this point we got kids who are who are down down in the station house, and mom and dad have to come by and and and and pick Junior up. It used to me like a pretty simple solution here, and the word would spread, Hey, you know, I mean, you know, let's let's find somewhere else to cause problems.
Speaker 3: And I haven't been right, and I haven't been in everyone of the conversations or this, but I know I do know, right, yeah, but I do know that that, yes, there have been questions of of everything, and we want to make sure that we're not we're not uganizing and criminalizing everything. That the goal is with teenagers, and you know how teenagers are because we were all teenagers once, is that we need But.
Speaker 2: I never flung flung. I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, animal house, it doesn't sound.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: And that is accountability too. It is very you don't throw firecrackers either in the book drop and because that is right next door to the children's section, but also you just don't do that. Of course they're calling for accountability, but at the same time, the goal of that first is to make sure that that we're checking in to not that that it's not not an issue of criminalizing, but also checking in what can we do to deflect and not deflect, but to make sure that we're addressing issues in front of that, keeping the teams busy, keeping them engaged, giving them opportunities to thrive, giving them seeing if we can job placement other things, keeping them busy, because we know when teenagers are bored, if keep them busy, because if they're not, they're going to find ways to not be bored. When teenagers find ways not to be bored, often things that are not preferred, right because.
Speaker 2: Well, Counselor, look, I appreciate, particularly on a Friday night at ten o'clock, the fact that you'd give us a little sense of it. I simply would suggest that maybe just a presence of a police officer would discourage that sort of behavior. And you know, police officers do have some authority, and they also have backup. I think a security guard, some poor guy with a security guard who's twenty two years old, they probably would be putting firecrackers down his pants if he was there or she was there. That's that's not fair. Counselor. Thank you so much for joining us. You've given us a pretty good sense of it. I'm gonna I don't want to subject you to phone lines here, so I'm going to invite folks to call us, and you probably have enough problems with constituents calling you, so you've been great to do.
Speaker 3: No, thank you very much for that. I do want to say that the goal is is that we want to make sure that that the that we're finding solutions, and that and that we're being as responsible responsive as possible, and that and that that city services are being provided. So we are, so we are so everybody gets a chance to thrive because it is not I I certainly don't want to shut out story time. I mean, I'm not the one who made the decision on closing the library, but I I can't imagine the concept of not being able to come for a storytelling with the toddler or looking at a picture book or teams. We need to make sure those that that that that that other teams or other kids that want to come after school and study and really get to the work, or just pick out a book that everyone.
Speaker 2: It's a few ruining it for for the for the for all, and and that has to stop. Keep us posting on this way, man, if you and if if you guys, if you guys, put a police officer in that and that and that calms it down. Give me credit, will you? Thanks counselor thanks to thank you? All Right, we take a quick break. If you'd like to join the conversation. I think that's a fairly straightforward suggestion. If you've got some rowdy teenagers doing stupid things. They're not necessarily criminal, but they're stupid. Call it what it is. Put a police officer there. I would bet you in a week that problem would go away, because I think the word would spread amongst the teenagers. You don't want to go down there and do something stupid in the library. Look, libraries are having a tough time because fewer and fewer people are using them. Many people are just relying on computers. I want to hear from you, particularly if you live in Somerville. Come on, what's going on over there? You know this is this is something that is unacceptable. Now again, this is not MS thirteen. I get that this is not kids using knives or guns. But you're going to throw firecrackers inside a library. You're gonna be smoking inside a library. Give me a break, Give me a break. Get one police officer inside that building beginning the first day of school, and I guarantee you the problems, the problems will move. You will not have the problem in the library anymore, if you agree with me. Again, sometimes the easiest solutions are the ones that stare you in the in the eye. More programs wonderful. I don't think that's going to solve the problem, because if you got some kids who just want to go in and raise hell in the library, they're going to do it until somebody's there to stop them. Coming back on Night Side six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty, you don't coddle problem children. You give them some guidance, and nothing would be would provide more guidance than officer friendly inside the library, ready to deal with whatever comes through the door. I'm convinced any say, any Summerville police officer could handle that task, and if necessary, you bring in the cavalry and you deal with whatever occurs. Coming back on night let's have at it now.
Speaker 5: Back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm reading the Global article here. There's a young woman named Autumn Lane. She's an eighth grader. Closing the library and get riding or getting rid of the safe space altogether is only going to make the problem worse. You should be the mayor of Somerville, Autumn Lane.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely true. And the way to make the library a safe space, a safer space than it is with kids throwing firecrackers, fights.
Speaker 2: Very simple. My solution Somerville. You don't even have to pay me as a consultant. But one police officer, one you know, younger police officer, maybe one of the police officers in the late twenties, early thirties, stationed in the mins the library and if the problem continues, then you call in the cavalry if you have to. Uh, that's the problem. And you know, I know that my my friend, the counselor O Streso was was a little hasardant to endorse my idea, but I think that she had some respect for it, although she talked about we need more programs and all of that. I think again, you got to say to people, Okay, you you can't behave in a library, then you don't belong in a library. And if when we tell you to leave, you don't leave, you'll be you'll be taken into custody and we will will bring the wagon up, and we'll bring a few more people up, and we'll take you down the police station and we'll call you parents if you have some parents, or we'll call your guardians or whomever, uh, and they'll they'll get you out and we'll see you in court. The next morning, you won't have to go to school. The next day you get a appointment in front of the judge. Simple as that. This is crazy. Apparently, this is the decision that's been made that the library until further notice would be closed from eleven thirty to two pm on Wednesdays. That's apparently the half day in school that the summer those students again, and on the other weekdays Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from two to four. Let me go to Gary see what he has to say. I will bet you he agrees with me. I could be wrong, but maybe he has a more innovative idea. Gary, welcome. How are you well?
Speaker 4: Way back one going to high school between eight years of combination of seventy seven to eighty one. How I feel is this when I was in the library, way back when I was a big kid myself. But I wasn't one of those separate guys that got jollies out of beating up somebody and punch them in the face, because some guys did. Way back. When you get that certain kid, I knew you'd be in the library, Joey, I can't find you in school and you punch the guy in the face. What I'm getting I'm getting a little graphic here is you get a combination of violence in libraries that go unreported. You get the facing of books that go unreported. I mean, where are all the cameras in a library, because the way I look at it, like it was a floodgated with cameras in a library. You get that kid audio in video of him, whether it's the facing or this that, And somehow the cops get involved and grab those parents and bring them into court and say you represent your child, your child did wrong, and throw out the fines like crazy. You can get them in the pockets.
Speaker 2: Agree, well, that's that's a way to go about it. I mean, some would argue that the parent, it's very difficult. Just as you don't visit the sins of the father upon the son, I guess you also don't visit the sins of the son upon the father. And some would argue that, hey, even though the parents did allows e job bringing the kid up, so he's not small not to do facebooks in the library or throw firecrackers. But I'm not opposed to that idea that there should be some responsibility if the kids aren't responsible, parents are responsible. I just think that it's it's pretty old school when I'm suggesting, but it's pretty simple. It's pretty straightforward. Put a police officer inside the library. So when the kids come in, and they come in, you'll pack four or five and they're gonna do this, and they're gonna do something really stupid, and they're gonna be more stupid than their stupid friends. So we're friend's gonna throw a firecracker in the library. I got it. I got a Blockbuster or a cherry baumb You know, you gotta deal with these kids at their own mentality, which is you do something stupid, say hello is some new jewelry. We're going to put you in handcuffs, and we're going to put you in the wagon or in the squad car, and we're gonna hold you down in a cell for a few hours. We're gonna call you parents, and tomorrow morning you won't have to go to school. Go see the tell it to the judge. That's all.
Speaker 4: The other fact too, what back one, what I experienced, And like I said, I was never a choir boy all the time.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't expect Dary that you were a quire boy. I think I know you well.
Speaker 4: Enough to know that, Okay, harassing librarians who are traditionally usually women, but there are men, and you get the punky kids that would harass librarians way back when or even now in the last fifty years. And what I say to that is this audio video harassment time these kids, and don't wastn't get away with it and say you got a summons and find them. I go to your homes and say your son or daughter is acting very inappropriate. Your summons to court because of his bad behavior, harassing a library, just like McDonald's all these past food places I experienced this cause I go, I drink dis.
Speaker 2: Look, if they're doing stupid stuff at McDonald's, it's up to McDonald's to take care of them. And if McDonald's really needs to prevent kids from doing stupid stuff, they will hire a police officer. As a detail, the city of Somerville has a police force, and they need to use the police force win a problem arises. Anyway, Gary, I think you and I pretty much on the same page, and I think we're just going at it a little differently. Thanks man, have a great weekend. Okay, thanks by the way for those of you who are waiting around for our presidential poll. We do it every I pledged earlier this year, and we began doing this, believe it or not, in March, April, May, June, July, and August. This is our sixth month doing this. So in the eleven o'clock hour, about a half an hour from now, once the newscast is over, we're going to open up the phone lines and give you an opportunity to cast a vote for whichever presidential candidate you like or you would like to see win. It's down to, and neither one of them named Biden. I think this would be the first pole that we've done without Biden. Technically, well, he wasn't on the ballot in July, but RFK was. So now we will see where this pole will go next hour. But for now, I want to hear from some of you in Somerville, Okay, and I want to hear from you in other communities. If this was going on in your library, in your town, whether it's Medford or Malden or Methuen, Haveral or Quincy, Broxton, wherever, what would you expect your political leaders to do? Now? I did talk earlier this Hour with Somerville City Councilor Kristin Stresso, and she seemed to stress that maybe there've had to be some more programs, and she talked about idle minds, idle hands and all of that sort of stuff. Devil's Workshop. No, if you do something that's stupid in a library, okay, you do something really stupid on the street, you get a little bit more flexibility. Okay, but you've light a fire cracker, light a cigarette. Are you going to vape inside the library? Not going to happen. Well, if it happens, we're going to have a police officer there who's going to go over and escort you to the door. And if you don't, and you're going to be told also, you're not welcome to come back here for thirty days. Okay take the name, can't come back band for thirty days. That way, you don't penalize the good people, the good kids who want to use the library. It's simple. It's simple. So where is the political leadership in Somerville? I have no clue. I used to know off the top of my head who the mayor was. If you're out there, give us a call. Anyone in Cambridge, Somerville. These are problems that we're having with young people. It's as simple as that. There's a lot of reasons, sociological reasons. You know, single family parents, single parents and all of that tougher to raise kids when there's just a mom or dad. We know that. Okay, However, however, that's a problem that has to be fault have to be solved. If it's not solved by the parent or parents in the home, eventually you got to get the police involved. And it's better to get them involved early than later. We're coming right back on Nightside. Light these phone lines up. And by the way, you know that you have a hall past at eleven o'clock, so if you if you call anytime this week up till eleven, you can always participate in our Friday evening eleven PM straw Pole one hour every month, and we're going to do this again in September and October, and we'll kind of see if there's a trend amongst our listeners or not. And of course we'll see you on November fifth, who's elected. We'll be right back on Nightside six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Those lines are wide open. Right now, let's have at it. It's Nightside with.
Speaker 4: Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you all, let's continue to talk. I'm a little disappointed in my audience. I think this is a really simple solution, and I also think that all of the sociologists and this is not a criticism of my guests, the City Council of Kristen Stresso. She had a very thoughtful, I thought thoughtful response, but her emphasis she did not warm to the idea of putting a police officer inside the library. Why would you not? Could someone explain to me maybe why that would not be a good idea, And if you think it's a good idea, please back me up on it, because I think that too many of these cities have said, well, we don't want to have this is sort of the George Floyd consequence. Because one police officer loses his mind in Minneapolis and literally kills an individual that now we have to assume in some of these progressive communities, and some of it would be in that category, we don't need the police. Oh, if there's somebody with a machine gun killing people dout, yeah, we'll call the police in. But on something like this, this is you work on something like this, and you get it done early, and you send a message to kids. This sort of behavior will not be tolerated in our community. Plain and simple. I'm going to go to Marty and Marty down down in Saint Augustine. Marty, welcome back.
Speaker 4: How are you pleasure? And I could relate to this, but an opposite way.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 4: I moved to Saint Augustine in nineteen ninety three. I bought my house in nineteen ninety four. I'll be in here thirty years.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, beautiful community. I was there once once. Yeah it's twice Williams great.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm in a neighborhood. I call it a gated community without a without a gate.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: The community is over one hundred years old. It has some old houses, new houses and anyway. I used to ride around several days, five o'clock at night. We don't have any youth, as they say in Brooklyn. We don't have no youth problems. We have no graffiti, no vandalism. Most people don't have boys on a windows. Some of them you alarms, which I don't like because neighbors look out for neighbors. However, I was in contact with some people I went to a meeting and I was talking to some women from what they call communities. They have too much development over here, and they're putting what they call communities and they have what they call amenities that there, which is the clubhouse. And these women were telling me about the kids, what they're doing over there and what it is is because in most cases the parents are too busy working and they don't have any contact with the kids or whatever. Now, as far as the library, I live near the main library in Saint John's County, ten blocks away. I love my librarians. They go above and beyond and they have private security there. I guess what for. I'm a big champion of homeless people. I work, I support, I'm a representative, and I just look out for homeless people. They get a lot of stuff is blamed on them over here, but they come to the library mostly to use the computer. Some of them come into the library, they stay there as the air condition until the library closes and then they go to a field. So therefore, we do have a private guard company, and some of these guards I'm six three. Some of these guards look like if I sneeze, they would fall down. But there's a presence and.
Speaker 2: At that how does that relate to the problem of teenager. I'm just trying to make that connection to unruly, belligerent teenagers in a Somerville is a is a suburb of Boston, just like probably.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you is there?
Speaker 2: Let me let me finish body if I could, because I want to ask you a question. You have experience in law enforcement, Okay. Somerville is a suburb of Boston, kind of like what Yonkers would be to New York. It's not part of New York New York City, Yonkers, as I understand it, It's not one of the boroughs. So Somerville is close to bar But you got these kids who are trouble. They got too much time in the hands. Not too many of the kids who are coming out of Somerville are coming out as you know, there's a lot of them who don't see the value of high school. Let me put it as gently as I can, okay, And they don't realize that education is going to be the key to their success in life. So they go into the library and they raise hell in the afternoon, fire throws a few firecrackers around the library. Behavior that is just way over the top. My simple solution, put a genuine police officer in there, not a security guard, a genuine Somerville cop, and guess what that will tamt this whole thing down in about two days.
Speaker 4: Now. Mostly all of our schools in Saint John's County have what they call a school resource deputy, Okay, And I really don't like that because, in other words, you're telling me that somebody is there would have gone in order to keep order. However, Mike County is known as people getting involved. So when you're telling me people throwing firecrackers in the library, that's called apathy because I'll tell you right now, me or a lot of people I know, somebody's throwing firecrackers in the library, somebody's going to grab them, or they're going to follow them. We don't take that over here to a large.
Speaker 2: One, okay. So in some of them, in some of the same quality of people who live down where you are, okay, And I understand the community you live in all of you, and I think you would be the sort of guy who would step up and help out. But in some of them, it's like the lunatics run the asylum, Okay, in the sense that you know, you have a you have a bunch of politicians over there who are progressive, uh, and they don't want to This all comes out of the George Floyd era.
Speaker 4: Where people said you a question, we'll go right ahead. The question is I guess I was trying to ask you before, trying to keep it very gentle. Is there an ethnic component to those who no, no, no, the perpetrators are all white kids.
Speaker 2: No, they're all mixed kids. You have all sorts of kids.
Speaker 4: White kids do things bad too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course they do. What I'm saying is I haven't gone over there and decided what percentage of this what percentage? Because I don't care. They're teenagers. They're teenagers who have no direction. They're teenagers who no one has even disciplined them. There's teenagers who have never suffered consequences for their actions. And so now they're getting to the point. Look, once you get away throwing firecrackers in a in a library, or or smoking in a library. You imagine smoking in the library, then the next thing is, you know what, I can go in and steal a case of beer.
Speaker 4: Is you a police department and active or a type that does nothing well?
Speaker 2: First of it's not my police department. It's one city. Some of them has a bunch of tough police officers. Okay, we'd be proud to be a member of the somervill PD. But it's your leadership, your political the leadership in that community.
Speaker 4: Who wants to New York City.
Speaker 2: Well maybe on writ large, ritt large, but no, this is a very progressive city. They call it the People's Republic of Somerville. That's all you need to know, Marty.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Well anyway, listen, listen, the progressive politics doesn't work. And my city of Saint Augustine is also a socialist city. But the County of Saint John's has twice as many Republicans as Democrats. And it's regarded as well actually North Florida as a law in order to place the sheriff's like to say, if you do something over, he's going to go to jail.
Speaker 2: Well, I love most of those sheriffs in Florida. I see some of them as had very creative mechanisms to invoke and involve law enforcement earlier, earlier in the lives of young people. They got to understand it when I was growing up. The police officer was not your enemy. The police officer was your friend. If you got lost in a city and you were going into the big city and you and you were eleven or twelve years old, you go to a police officer, officer, I'm not sure where I am. Yeah, but it's all changed money. And that's why I'm using this as an example.
Speaker 4: I figure, well, then people, if the people are the way they are progressive and if they vote a certain way, the problems are going to be there. It's like it's like having German cockerroaches and just praying when that's not the way to get rid of them.
Speaker 2: All right, I gotta go money. I'm up against that. I'm normally you and I are on the same wavelength. I think that we're in a different wavelength early on, but I think I.
Speaker 4: Think I when I'm voting, I'm voting for Donald Trump, not some communists.
Speaker 2: Well you got to call back during the and she's not a communist. Come on, they're real. The communists are real, bad, bad, bad people. We've got a different view of the world that you.
Speaker 4: And I that you and I might have eleven All.
Speaker 2: Right, thanks, money, appreciate it. Thank well, We'll take a break. Coming right back at night Side. Now back to Dan Way live from the Window World Nice Side Studios on WBZ News Radio. Just to emphasize it. The Boston Globe says one of the members of the school committee there, he said, we're all kind of blindsided. This school comp member said he was dismayed to see that one of the last remaining third spaces in somer of It where young people can gather without having to buy anything, would close his stores. Not to mention a library which is supposed to be a refuge for kids, perhaps especially for those who were bored and prone to trouble if left unattended. Here's a quote. Too many disengaged kids in the library is not a problem, It's an opportunity. I'm hoping we have the leadership to seize that opportunity. What problem. Let's go next to Sandy and West Roxbury. She knows libraries, Hi, Sandy, how are you good? I think it's a simple solution. Put officers friendly in there who can maintain some order, and if not, he can call in the count.
Speaker 5: But look what happened when they tried to well, when they had police in the schools, and then they got rid of them.
Speaker 4: Well know that parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened is is you know, I know, got crazy. The schools aren't safe. Look what's going on down in place like Brockton. My god, that that's them system out of control, out of control.
Speaker 5: It's it's parents.
Speaker 2: I don't think it is. I think the parents are they're concerned about the safety of their own kids. But what happens is they vote in the progressive politicians whose attitude is like the fellow, who's whose I just read that? Uh, to many disengaged kids in the library. It's not a problem, it's an opportunity. I'm hoping.
Speaker 5: It goes back to the broken windows thing. I know when I was growing up, I talked once during lunch I did, I admit it. I tell my parents had my father had to take that day off from work. My parents had to come to school. And that was in second grade. And I'll tell you I never talked again in months until I was there.
Speaker 2: You used to have the nuns. They were great. You'd hear the nuns coming down the hall and everybody would shush up and they'd blow into the into the classroom, which by the way, was forty five students. Okay, that's how many kids I had in all of my classes in eighth grades at Saint Anne's and Reidville. There were no classes with twenty kids. It was forty five kids anyway, And the nuns would control us and then walk in and the nuns will say I heard people talking. Who was talking? Identify yourselves. Nobody would fess up, Okay, you're all staying late after school. I mean you know they had it down. They had it down. Yeah, And look, you want to if libraries are not a safe place and a safe refuse, put a police officer in there.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: I agree that it's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Well in the progressive community like the People's Republic of Somerville. Maybe not, But I don't know. I'm hoping to hear from some Somerville people who might agree with me. Who knows.
Speaker 5: I was teaching in a Catholic school on time, and I had this small group of kids that just wouldn't stop talking. And they weren't bad kissed, but they were just stopping the class because it wouldn't stop talking. So you couldn't keep them after school because of the buses. So the principal said, no, I wouldn't think of keeping them after school. I'm going to keep the parents after school.
Speaker 2: How did they do that? What did they do?
Speaker 5: And they just said, if you don't show up here and sit detention, So three days in a row, your parents, your children will be stuff. And the parents showed up and the kids didn't make a problem after that.
Speaker 2: It's just knowing a pressure point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you really have to get it. Well, it's all one word respect. When I was growing up, we everybody respected everybody else until somebody broke a rule, you know, and.
Speaker 4: Then it was looked.
Speaker 2: I was watching the news tonight. There's a young police officer in Dallas, Texas assassinated in a squad car last night. Looked to me like a young minority officer. There was a young female officer in Baltimore who was assassinated in her squad car by a year and a half, more than a little bit more than a year and a half an hour ago. You know, we got to basically say, hey, look, you know there are some police who have done who have done the wrong things, but we're paying a much greater price. No one cares about the death of this police officer in Dallas.
Speaker 5: You got it.
Speaker 2: Thanks Andy, Love, your good night. All right, good night. That's next. Up is we're going to go next let's go to Mike and Newton and we're going to get Dave and Worcester in as well. Michael, I'm doing great, Mike. What's your take on this? Uh?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: My take on it is, uh, you know, the parents they cannot tell the kids no anymore. The kids don't know the word no, and and and I've seen it. I've seen it over here. I'm here to get into it. But the parents give the as everything they want.
Speaker 4: The kids do this, they do that. They say, oh no, no, well it's not all it's not all kids.
Speaker 2: By the way, Mike, are you want to Are you on to speak a phone?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm on my uh cell phone.
Speaker 2: So you're talking right into the cell phone and you're not on it. You're not standing five feet away while you got it on speaker on the on the on the desk of the table.
Speaker 4: I'm right here talking to you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well here's what it sounds like. It sounds like you're talking to me like this. Why don't you put the cell phone right by your mouth so I can hear you better? Okay, please go ahead?
Speaker 4: Is that better right there.
Speaker 2: Much better, much better, Thank you. It's it's not all all what I'm saying. It's not all kids. It's a bunch of trouble makers. And you got to you gotta corral the trouble makers because it's going to metastasize it. Instead of having five percent trouble makers, you'll let fifty percent trouble makers go ahead.
Speaker 4: And I totally agree with that. Put a police officer in there. I got paddled.
Speaker 6: I grew i Central Pennsylvania, Williamsport, Pennsylvania. I got paddled from sixth grade on two or three times a year.
Speaker 4: And I went home and I go, my, hey, dad, I got paddled. What you do wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's not a good move. But your father probably paddled you again. So you grew up in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, home of the Little League World Series.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, home in Little League Baseball? Yeah uh yeah uh.
Speaker 2: And also the home the hometown of great pitcher for for the Yankees and the Oriols, Mike Messina.
Speaker 6: Oh Messin he was eva grew up and williams Sport Mattersdale.
Speaker 4: Actually so okay, well he played by Maturersaw High School.
Speaker 2: Gotta be close, gotta be close. I almost saw. I'm no hit the Red Sox back a weekend before nine to eleven. Mike, I'm with you, and I'm not advocating corporal punishment, but I'm advocating having a police officer in that library. And I think you're the first caller who has agreed with me.
Speaker 4: Totally, and I completely agree with you.
Speaker 2: Thanks man, I appreciate it. Have a great labor day weekend. Okay, thank We're going to get one more caller in here, uh this hour before you wrapped there are going to go to a David in Worcester. David, we got a couple of minutes for you, go right ahead.
Speaker 4: I want to say that I agree with you, except when you just said that you don't. You're not advocating corporal punishment. As a parent, you know, father or grandfather, great grandfather. I know that there's a certain age at which children bologna and just stand, you know, you know, certain seeing uh uh instructions and and then there would begin learn to respect rules. But I want to say it about some of them.
Speaker 2: So I'm confused. I said, I am not an advocate of corporal punishment in the classroom. I'm not suggesting that. Do you agree with me on that or do you think there's a place for corporal punishment?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, I'm not here just agree to do you know? Some people say only in the headmaster's office, but I say that sometimes it has to be in the classroom.
Speaker 2: So I don't think it should be in the head masters. I think it's up to the parents and and and they should not abuse their kids physically, you know, to give a little kid a tap on the butt that that's you know, when they're five or six years old, just to get their attention, Okay, but much more than that. I'm not a fan of that at all. But I am a fan of police being in the library and maintaining order and decor in the library and telling the kids who are troublemakers. If you cause trouble, you're out of here. And if and if you don't go quietly, we'll take you down and you'll have an appointment to see the judge in the morning.
Speaker 4: I qulled about that. I quote about that. I wanted to say this, we have to be fair and decent to policemen. You cannot send one policeman, just one policeman to that library. If there's not much kills, there should be in my opinion, at least four policemans in every in every library.
Speaker 2: No, I only David would think that that it would be uh to send four. Some of these cities only have you know, ten police officers on a shift. I think one is fine. And if if a police officer is going to be in trouble in a library with some teenagers, he could call in the cavalry pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, maybe maybe then they should call some of the parents to actually be reserved reserved police to watch you land the library and understand the rules of the library that they should be not talking right alone during firecrack.
Speaker 2: I'm with you totally, David. Sometimes we agree, sometimes they disagree, but I think on this one you and I are on the same page of common sense. Thank you, my friend. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: We just don't want to overburden one policeman.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I don't want to I don't want to endanger policeman, but I think that there are more dangerous spots to be than monitoring in a library. Thanks David. I appreciate your call, have a great one. All right, we come back our presidential poll for August. This is the last Friday eleven o'clock hour, twentyeth hour coming up, so dial away, get on early. Who are you gonna Who will it be? Will it be Donald J? Trump? Or Vice President? Come Kamala Harris?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Those are the two choices. Joe Biden's off the board. RFK is off the board. We're gonna take your phone calls. If you've called this week, you get a free haul pass to call again in the eleven o'clock hour. Who will you be voting for if the election were held today? Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, ten thirty. We'll be right back on night side.