Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We are delighted to welcome the Auditor of the Cornwaltha, Massachusetts, Dianatzoglio. She is fighting on the State House on behalf of all citizens, Democrats, Republicans, and independents. She is probably the least liked public official amongst the other public officials up at the State House right now because she wants to audit the legislature, and seventy two percent of the people in Massachusetts agree with her based upon the ballot decision question that was voted upon last last on November. But we want to talk today about tonight about this seventy four page audit of the Executive Office of Housing Liverable Communities Emergency Shelter. First of all, Madam Auditor, congratulations for having more courage, which I think than just about anyone on Beacon Hill, and I mean that sincerely. Welcome to Night Side.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, Dan. It's always great to be back, great to have the opportunity to talk about some of the work that we're doing to increase accountability up on Beacon Hill. You are correct, I am persona non grata up on Beacon Hill right now. But it is the job, and I am humbled to have the opportunity to serve as auditor, so happy to chat with you about some of our latest findings.
Speaker 2: Well, you are persona non grata, but you're also an elected statewide official or constitutional officer as the state auditor, and a Democrat. You've been in the House of Representatives, you've been in the Massachusetts State Senate, and now you are positioned as the auditor. The legislature does not want to be audited by you, and it's really the legislative leadership. And we can talk about that quickly, but I want to focus on this report. I read it this afternoon. I didn't read it verbatim. I went over it as best I could. I read it quickly, at seventy four pages. I would be lying to you if I told you I could, I could cite chapter and verse. However, the concern that is obvious. And by the way, anyone who wants to take the time if they want to see a thorough report done in language that anyone can understand, this is the report to look at it. It is really well done by However, whoever, how many members of your staff were involved in this. There are visuals which which help explain. There are graphs you focus on the no bid contracts and a couple the focus seems to be on one at a restaurant over in East Boston and also a cab company down in Truro. And one of the best representations of this is a page twelve which is a colograph of themalth of Massachusetts broken down by county basis county level and the company that provided food I guess statewide Spinelle Ravioli Manufacturing Company. They're there, I believe, East Boston. And then the Mercedes Cab company, well named Mercedes Cab Company is down at the tip of the cape in Truro. Why would there not have been some some cabs spread around the state so that people, if we are going to accommodate people of the shelters, that all of the money was not given to one cab company and primarily one food provider. That is that strikes me. It hits me in the eye when I read this report, Am I missing something?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, first and foremost, Kan, thank you so much for complimenting the breadth of the report and the depth of the report. I cannot take credit for that report being so as in depth as it was. That is my team in the Office of State Auditor doing great, great work. I have an amazing team of audit professionals who really do work over time on making sure that they are doing their due diligence and having the necessary conversations to make sure that these reports are robust, that they're accurate, and that they're getting all the information out to the residents. So kudos to the amazing team and the Office of State Auditor. And certainly, yes, the findings that our team found are certainly concerning, right on many different levels, you know level You know, the first level is on the level that these these contracts and the millions of our tax dollars were executed with no bidding process. And folks, we totally understand this is a humanitarian crisis. You know, this is something that's happening across our nation. It's not just happening in Massachusetts. These are challenging times, uh, and this is you know, something where we would expect that, you know, in the administration's first dealings with such challenging times, that you know, there could be some errors made during this process, uh, in trying to find solutions in a quick manner on various topics, but on these particular contracts UH. The the administration did have data UH dating you know, back to when this started to become an issue with these arrivals and with the need for shelter increasing rapidly. There were several months in between when the administration started to collect and review data and when the no bid contracts were executed.
Speaker 5: UH.
Speaker 3: Emergency no bid contracts are intended to be used for emergency situations and think about, you know, a tree falling on a building, right, some sort of an unforeseen event that could not have been predicted. There were several months in between when you know this this UH, the influx started happening, and there was a lot of data that the Executive Office of Housing Livable Communities is tracking in order to be able to plan a bit better for some of these contracts to be executed. If an emergency contract is executed, however, it is supposed to be executed for several weeks, not for several months. There was a difference between an emergency contract meant to cover emergency time frames UH and just outright contracts that are given out right. So the report did cite the Administration for the improper and unlawful use of the emergency procurement process. Again, certainly, we understand if there's an emergency situation, but there are proper protocols and procedures that need to be followed that were not, and these excessive lengths of time that these contracts were executed really, you know, can can do a lot of damage to the public's trust regarding the process that is supposed to be followed. When we give out millions of dollars in state contracts, folks want to know that that process is fair and that it is equitable, and that it is being done in an appropriate manner so that it's not you know, able to be alleged that it's paid to play or that you know, there are inequities in the process. So we did cite the administration for that. What you're talking about, Dan regarding you know, these companies just being located in one spot and why were they selected. Well, you know, we did ask the administration why these companies were selected, and they couldn't provide evidence as to why they thought that they were the best selection out of other options. For example, I actually made a phone call and had a conversation with my local Merrimac Valley Regional Transit Authority staff, and they informed me that, you know, if the administration had reached out or wanted to reach out, that they would be more than willing as a local regional public transit authority to assist in providing cost effective opportunities to the Commonwealth to serve in the shelter situation where the needs are they save a pass by too shelters in our region on their current bus route, and that they would be more than help happy to assist in any way, shape or form and provide potentially again more cost effective opportunities for the Commonwealth to take up. We yes, madam, let me just.
Speaker 2: I want to take quick break here. I know we're limited on time, but I want to drive the point home that there were several counties who were not ever involved in any of this. So, for example, you had counties like Duke's County, which is Mantesvinyar, Nantucket County which is Nantucket, Hampshire County, which is really in the in the middle of western Massachusetts, which really wasn't touched. And then you had counties like Middlesex. They had twenty eight shelters. Open Essex had had twelve, Norfolk eleven, Worcester eleven, Suffolk had six, Plymouth had six. So it was interesting that that it wasn't as if the counties that provided the shelter had cabs available for people were who were in the shelters. This map, to me, is stunning. I want to talk about that, and I want to get back to the cost a little bit. I don't know if we're going to have any time for the questions for you, because you've had a long day and I promised that we'd let you go at nine thirty. But I will invite people if they want to call and comment on what you have to say. We will take calls, certainly after we give you the opportunity to get some sleep. My guest is the Massachusetts State Auditor, Diana Disauglio. This is a scathing report. It does not, in any way, shape or form suggest that how the Healthy Administration handled this and this report, I need to mention, covers thirty months from July twenty twenty one through December thirty first of twenty and twenty three. We'll get to some specifics right after the break. My guess is the state order. The came Wealth of Massachusetts Democrat Diana Dosaglio.
Speaker 1: It's night side with Dan Ray on.
Speaker 2: Boston's news radio with me, it's the order of the call Wealth of Massachusetts. Diana is Uglio. Can we focus a second on this cab company out in Truro. If my math is right, and I think it is, there was something like fifteen ninety four cab rides. The average cost of these cab rights was like three hundred and sixteen dollars. I mean, I realized the cab is coming from Truro, and I assumed that these cabs are driving many, many miles, not just on the Cape but elsewhere. I assumed the cab rides were given. Why would they not have split this up? They have a cab company at the far tip of Cape cod Who figured that one out, Madam Auditor?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: This this, this is not thoughtfully considered.
Speaker 5: Dan.
Speaker 3: And again when we asked the administration for you know, documentation to verify that they had considered other options and done due diligence in selecting vendor for again months and months at a time to provide these services, they could not provide evidence that they had actually done. So there are alternatives out there, and when you have a transportation company located in just one part of the state that's delivering to all different parts of the state where the MBTA is located in many of these areas, and the regional transit authorities in some cases have themselves offered to actually assist with providing more cost effective options. But then you see that one bus ride was taken a little over three miles down the road that cost nearly five thousand dollars for one bus trip. You know, we just did a quick internet search and found that, you know, you could charter a bus for an entire day for a fraction of the cost. You know, we did cite that to the administration as being problematic.
Speaker 2: Bus ride five thousand dollars, that that should be in the Guinness World Book of Records. They should be very proud of that.
Speaker 3: This is insane, I mean, in the reality is dan is that we do you know, we do have these dollars going out to these private vendors right when we do have services right now within our own public transportation system where in some cases folks have stood up and said they're ready to assist, right so we could be reinvesting those tax dollars back in to our public transportation system and getting services at a fraction of the cost. It does take some work to have those conversations and to due diligence into looking at those options. And that's simply what we said to the administration. Look, we understand that you can't change the past, can't go back in time. This is an opportunity to look at some of the decisions that were made and to make changes so that history doesn't repeat itself. You know us what oughts are there for. They're not there just to harp on agencies and just tell them what they did wrong. They actually exist to help to make government work better for those it's meant to serve. The audit did list several recommendations with the findings. It pointed to some of the flaws, but yes, it did also make recommendations for improvement, like making sure that you know, these these processes are documented so that evidence can be collected to demonstrate that the process was fair, the process was equitable, making sure to create systems that are more efficient so that even skimming isn't going on. You know, in some of these cases where you know there was money lost, it wasn't exorbitant in nature, but it still was money lost. We identify those opportunities as well, where you know, there's bits and bits of tax payer dollars being lost in you know, nearly nine point six percent of transactions, nearly ten percent of trans actions with the Finelli Ravioli company. We saw that, you know, in the delivery fees there was nearly a ten percent rate of overcharges occurring. Right now, small enough regarding the loss of revenue in comparison to the larger scope of the money being spent, but it's still a loss right, and a penny saved is a penny earned. And we work hard for our tax dollars. We want to make sure that we are you know, guarding those tax dollars. Even in those cases, isn't it where maybe the administration doesn't consider it worth paying attention to, We did ask them to, you know, work on making those systems more efficient. You know my issue, Dan, because I do have to go in a couple of minutes here, But my issue is we did make recommendations, and those recommendations are meant to help this administration and to help the Executive Office of Housing and Loveable Communities to do better by the taxpayer moving forward. And I think that you know, again, when we look back in time, we see that some mistakes, some errors occurred, things could have been done better. Better. It was a very challenging time. But what we really need to see is for the administration move out of its defensive posture towards these audit findings and recommendations and move more towards a willingness to look at some of the areas where they could improve to help instill the public's trust. To hear the governor say, you know, essentially that she doubts that she will take a look at these recommendations and work to implement them. When she when she simultaneously said she hadn't even seen the report, that's a bit discouraging, right, because we do these reports, Like you said, it was over seventy pages. The team worked really hard on this report. EOHLC themselves operated in the spirit of cooperation with our team. They worked with our audit team, you know. And if there are areas of agreement, okay, areas of disagreement, okay. But I do hope that the governor does, at their minimum look at this report. Because she said she hasn't seen it yet look at the report before, you know, stating that she's already unwilling to implement any of the potential recommendations for improvements. I think that, you know, that's a disservice to the taxpayers to not at least attempt to consider the recommendations. Right, So hopefully we will, we will get a better, you know, a better attitude moving forward from the administration so that we can you know, again work to make government work better.
Speaker 2: By the way, just when you mentioned ell HLC, that is the Executive Office of Housing Liver Communities. There's one cab ride and I'm sure you were aware of this, but which I found and I had heard about that cost one hundred and forty dollars for exactly three hundred and twenty two feet from the point of pickup. And people will say, well, how's that possible. My understanding, this cab company on the Cape, every time a cab they dispatched a cab, it was one hundred and forty dollars to get to the pickup point, which is which is weird. So they're guaranteed one hundred and forty dollars whether the pickup point is a half a mile away or ten miles away.
Speaker 3: And of course people and Dan in addition to what you just said, In addition to what you just said, it was roughly, it was roughly it was over three hundred and fifty thousand dollars that the Commonwealth was charged for cancelations, for no shows and things of that nature.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So you know, when you have one hundred and forty dollars fee for the base rate for a pickup, right, and then then that gets canceled for some reason, but we're still charged, you have to wonder was there a better way forward?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And we believe there was. Can you imagine anybody who's taken a cab, anyone who's taken an oar or anything. You know, it's just you get to charge one hundred and forty dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just want people to understand this, and I'll let you go. So you call an uber or you call a cab or whatever, and the cab arrives at the door, and you want to go five miles, some five miles, and at the end of the five miles they say to you, that's one hundred and fifty eight dollars or something. You're gonna say, one hundred and fifty eight dollars, I went five miles, oh, one hundred and forty dollars for us to get to your house. And the eighteen dollars is for the five miles that we drove you what a scam. Auditor. Thank you for this report. It is so important. I am very disappointed that Governor Healy has had the reaction that you've reported to us. And I hope Governor Healy wants to come on the program and criticize the report or point out any mistakes in the report, because it looks to me like a very tightly written and presented and reasoned report. And I just got to say congratulations, and please don't don't quit. Don't I mean, I know, thank.
Speaker 3: You, and and look what I will what I will ask folks, you know, I mean, just to advocate for some of this stuff, uh, because the AUTO reports really are there to help right in this This isn't about you know, laying criticisms on people or uh, you know, just uh putting fault on on on folks around agencies. What this is about is this is about helping to make systems work better for the residents of Massachusetts, right and what our request is of this administration is simply too uh you know, for the Governor and the administration to thoughtfully examine the report before uh making judgment. Calls about all you know already stating that they're you know, unlikely to implement the recommendations. I think that there are some you know, uh solid recommendations in there. Certainly, you know, they don't want to take all the recommendations. They are the governing agency of the Commonwealth. They have a right not to take the recommendations. But you know, the team did work hard, they worked alongside of the Executive Office of Housing and Movable Communities. And to just dismiss the report without even having seen it, it is unfortunate. So I am going to ask, you know, anybody that does you know, call the administration to advocate that you simply just ask that the administration read the report, review it, and hey, if we agree on some things but disagree on others, okay, but at least review the recommendations and let's see if we can work together to improve some of these systems to save tax payer dollars, to make sure that we're getting the most baying for our book, and also to make sure that these no bid contracts are being entered into only when it is truly, truly appropriate and for shorter time periods, so that we can.
Speaker 6: Instill public trust and public faith in government, that the system is fair and equitable, and that people are able to get access to these opportunities, you know, even if they are not politically connected.
Speaker 3: So you know, please keep advocating for that. We are here to help. We're here to help make government work better, but obviously we can't do it without you. So thanks so much, Dan for having me on tonight.
Speaker 2: Please appreciate it very much for the end of a long day. I just want to add one final PostScript to that is the automatic sure defensive posture and reaction does not look good for Governor Healy's office, and I hope that she understands that the automatic defensive posture and reaction does not. She does not wear that well. Simple as that auditor, I'm telling you, you you are are, You're breath of fresh air on Beacon Hill in terms of openness and transparency, I kind of having a better state auditor. And I just say thank you on behalf of every taxpayer in Massachusetts. Liberal conservative, moderate Republican Democrat, Independent, unenrolled. We're all owe you a debt of gratitude for having the courage.
Speaker 3: Ever, I have an amazing team. I have an amazing team in the Office of State Auditor. So I want to throw that thanks back to our team, into our staff, to the auditors. But thank you so so much, Jan I really appreciate the opportunity to chat tonight again. Please advocate, We're here to help, We're here to work together. Thanks so much, Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: State Auditor Diana de Zauglio, and I got to tell you she's up there. Look, I know how to waste money. I know how to waste my own money, but I don't want the Commonwealth of Massachusetts wasting my money on no bid contracts. And when you read this report, when you look at this report, you will you will be appalled. You will be appalled. I'm going to open up the phone lines.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Diana has had some very long days, and I agreed. I wanted her to free for you to hear from her tonight. And she is. I don't know how she's actually even awake at this hour, but obviously she is an advocate for everyone. And look the money that is wasted folks. Is money that could be spent on people in Massachusetts who truly need assistance. And this has nothing to do with legal or illegal or immigration. This is evidence of how some people on Beacon Hill don't look at the tax dollars that are extracted from you as a precious commodity that should be used to help people in need. That's the point. You take my tax money. I don't mind that you spend it on people who are down in their luck. I don't mind that you spend it on people who have disabilities. I don't mind you have spend it on people who are trying to recover, who are trying I don't mind that. Okay, I don't mind it that you spend it on kids who don't have two parents. I understand that's part of the social contract. But to take money from taxpayers and basically throw it away a no bit contracts to a cab company in Truro, Massachusetts. Take a look at the map. If you don't know what Truro is, it's next to Provincetown. You got to drive probably one hundred miles. One hundred miles just well, maybe not one hundred, at least eighty miles to get to either one of the bridges. How crazy is it to have a cab company on serving people who are in shelters that is positioned in Truro, Massachusetts. And if the owner of that cab company wants to come on and talk about it, you have an open invitation any night to join me on night Side. I now give you an open invitation to react to what you heard from the Order of the come Oalth of Massachusetts. The number six one seven, two five four ten thirty or six one seven nine three one ten thirty back right after the news at the bottom of the hour. Sorry about the delay, but this was too important as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: Night Side Thought with Dan Ray. I'm WBZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, you heard from state auditor Diana Dezaglio. I know that very few of you have read the seventy four page report. I've looked at it, I've scanned it, I've read portions of it. It's appalling. It's appalling. They had a no big contract with one Cape Card cab company. It looks to me like one no bid contract for the entire state. If you're familiar with a map of Massachusetts, there's a town called Truro. It's at the far end of the Cape. That's the last place you should be running care. You should have had cab company somewhere in the Boston area, and you should have split it up. You should have had some cab company wherever the folks were going to be sheltered. You need to have some transportation available for them. And this was a sweetheart deal, and it was a no bid deal, the aptly named Mercedes Cab Company. And again, if the owner of that cap company would like to come on and explain to us, to me and you how this all came to be and why they got what seems to me to be a sweetheart deal. I would love them to come on, but I don't think we'll hear from them. Let me go first to phill in Boston. Phil, I assume you're probably pretty perplexed by this.
Speaker 8: Well, I was in. But the image in Truro and the bridge, they're better than buy an event. But Dan, who this is kind of who negotiated I don't know it was on negotiation, but who decided on these figures? Were they doing? There's no back and forth, Willer Dylan. When you buy a Cowie and buy something. There's no willer and dealer. We're gonna settle on no competition. I guess that's a little bit contract thing with that. Ladies who want to heck of a Charlotte.
Speaker 2: By the way, well let me let me tell you. If there is one person on Beacon Hill right now who I have complete confidence in, not only on this but on auditing the legislature, it is the state auditor. She is, she said to herself. She's a person in Congrada within at the State House. And those people up there, they got a good thing going, and we talked about that a lot, and you need people up there to shake it up a little bit because the problem is it's my tax money in your tax money. I don't begrudge. I'm not someone who's saying, you know, let poor people take care. No, I need to pay taxes. That's part of the social contract. I want to help people, and I help people separately from my taxes. By the way, my wife and I are very generous, right, But I don't want someone to I don't want someone to throw my tax money away. I don't I don't pay taxes to make this sure that some cab company in Truro.
Speaker 8: Living down there, you couldn't have picked.
Speaker 2: You couldn't have picked. By the way, they were only in all of Barnstable County. Uh and trolls in the farther into Barnstable County. There were only three shelters in all of Barnstable County. So in total there were dozens of shelters. Okay, there were. There were hotel sites in I mean they were like eight.
Speaker 8: Cover up the sign of the hotel, but a sign being like and Risley, it wasn't a hotel anymore.
Speaker 2: But got it? You got it, you got it. And and to and to give a no bid contract to a cab company in Truro had someone had to know someone and you had to look at that and say, how is this possible? And by the way, every person, every person who was in the shelter who called the cab because people have medical emergencies and they have to go and do some shopping. They don't have cars. Whenever the cab company was summoned kirching one hundred and forty dollars to start as soon as the person got in the cab. And there's waiting time too. If the person happened to be late.
Speaker 8: But we're talking my level stuff too. We're talking with the full contract, We're talking all kinds of of the contracts.
Speaker 2: You got it. You got it, Phil, I thank you for chiming into there. Because money was taken from you. Your money was wasted, My money was wasted. Every person in this audience tonight should know that some of their tax dollars were wasted, and substantial amounts of tax money was wasted, and the and the governor apparently saying that she doesn't want to read the report. Really really all right, thank you, Phil, appreciate it. I get rolling here. We're gonna continue. I got Dennis and Lowell coming up next. Jina and Bridgewater, got a little room for you. We're gonna uh end this part of the conversation at ten o'clock. We have a guest coming up talking about coyotes in Braintree, rather coyotes in Brookline. I'm sure they're coyotes in Braintrey too. Take a very quick break coming back with Dennis and Gina. For sure, maybe you as well. Six one, seven, two thirty.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we go to the calls Dennis and Lowell. Dennis, we have full lines, but you're you're rough, buddy. Go ahead, what's your your thought of this? I'm appaulled.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, thank you very much. You know, I couldn't resist calling because the known Diana since she first ran. And I'll tell you she hasn't disappointed me or her supporters in the greater little area.
Speaker 2: She's a good one. She's a good one. Yeah, tell you.
Speaker 5: I mean she's she's so well spoken and sincere speaking about the public trust and advocating equity and accountability. Ye people can spell that.
Speaker 2: And transparency and and I'll tell you she is uh. Look the people who were up there and who were ripping us off, she's enemy number one to them. Okay, Oh yeah. And and I gotta tell you she's doing a fabulous job. She's a fabulous She's a Democrat. I mean, this is not a Republican Democrat thing. She's a Democrat who's doing a fabulous job.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I just finish off, like I didn't read seventy four page document, but the glow up today they read. They printed those statistics, the three hundred foot you know drive for a hundred forty dollars and three hundred and fifty thousand dollars for five hundred reported no shows and two thousand, three hundred cancelations. I wish I had that business.
Speaker 2: Oh way, yeah, keep talk about that. Hey, Dennis, thank you my friend, I really man. Thank you so the work, buddy. Thanks much. Good night. Let me go next to I told you we get Dennis and Gina and Gina. You're next on nightside. Welcome Hi, ginape I've got to hit it here. My mistake, Gina, that was my mistake. I missed the button. Go ahead, Gina, You're next.
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 9: I just want to say thank you. The dians is augly when anybody else who's alt trying to do the best for everyone. But I just want to say I became home. It's because of the gas company so many years ago. And I know you know who I am. But let me explain something to you. I wasn't cut it around. I went hungry and I still go hungry for many days. Okay, I'm going to marry with his no stores to go to get anywhere. I didn't have the luxury of getting into a shelfice so I can go out there and get a job and live my life the way I should have, like I did before. Now I don't think it's right. I've tried calling the governor's office. I'm not getting anywhere. I've called a few times, I don't get the right answers. I'm not against anybody, but i'll tell you what. I've been deprived of even seeing my family because I can't get anywhere, all right. I have a brother that was a Vietnam veteran that just passed away recently that I was told, and the place where he was at prevented me from even talking to my brother. They've seen my number come through and they ignored it.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 9: Then people are ignorant, and I usually don't talk about anybody, but I'm so happy for anybody who can get the right things done in this world. I wasn't cottered around to have a cab, all right, and I ll stand that.
Speaker 2: And you're a US citizen who should be prioritized, So Geine, I totally agree with you. I need to hear from some other folks here, but I appreciate the fact that you called in and by I'll tell you thank you.
Speaker 9: That's all I can say.
Speaker 2: She does a great job, and I'm sure she's listening. Thank you, Gina. I appreciate you. Thank you, Dan, thank you very much. So we go to Bernie in New Hampshire. Bernie got to be quick for me. You'd like to get you in one more in go ahead.
Speaker 4: Bernie, Hey Dan, how you doing good? Real quick, real quick. I watched her this morning. She's so well spoken and a report was so concise, and it's just a breadth of brush hair for Massachusetts politics. I work in mass so I get to pay taxes and mass But about a month ago you had one of our representatives on and and I can well afford to pay my my my maintain my vehicles and pay my taxes and all that. But he was just looking for ways to save his constituents money, seems. And so the politicians and mass well that isn't their top priority. But you know, the one thing that stuck out to me is like the Spinelle thing, like that woman that just got off the phone, Like I work in mass all the time. Spinelli's has a good quality food and it's and they tal and like, why my good work is getting spinales. Well, I mean it's a bit easier and better and law cross effective ways to feed them and like why is the stuff allowed to happen?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's part of the game in Massachusetts. Once they get elected in Massachusetts, they forget where they came from. Uh. They they get re elected, there's no pressure on them. The Republican Party has to get there act together, making a two party state again, like it is in New Hampshire. It's a competitive state in New Hampshire and you get better government out of It's as simple as that.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you for my time.
Speaker 2: Let me thank you very much Bertie for call and appreciate it very much. All right, let me get one more in here before we got a run. Let me go to paton Rhode Island. Pat, you gotta be quick from me, go right ahead, all right.
Speaker 5: Two sentences.
Speaker 7: Number one, listening to Night's Side can change your life. About twelve years ago on the air, you introduced me to someone called Gary Johnson who was running for the President's Libertarian Yes, I am now on the Liberty I am now on the Libertarian National Committee. I actually in charge of the National Convention. So that's what happened because I listen to your show.
Speaker 2: Well, do me a favor Pat do me a favor. Okay, since you're now active in that, I'm more than happy to have folks from the Libertarian Party on. I have an interesting view of it, which is probably not identical to yours, but I'm thrilled that you have gotten involved in it. Rob will give you my direct number at BZ. Give me a call and we can have a chat, because I think that there's a lot of the Libertarian Party, particularly economic ideas, that people need to be exposed to. So again, I thank you for the kind words. It's a thrill to hear a phone call like this in all honesty. And Gary Johnson, former governor of New Mexico, I had him on several times and maybe I'll have you on as well.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 7: Listen, if I can tell you this, the libertarian approach of this is twofold number one, get government out of these programs, but at the same time, perform voluntary support for people in need. And that's what we do is libertarians, we actually talk to talk and help people out who have less.
Speaker 2: Okay, well again, give Rob, give Rob get my number. Rob will give you my number, Call me and I'll get back to you. We'll have a conversation off here. Thank you, Pat, and thanks for calling. Well that's an interesting phone call, and that's an interesting hour. And we come back. We're gonna have another interesting hour. We're gonna talk about coyotes in Brookline. I mean coyotes in Brookline. We're not talking about Wyoming anymore. We're not even talking about the suburbs. I saw some of the stories last night on some of the newscasts, and we're going to talk about it on the other side, coming back right after the ten o'clock news on nightside.