Speaker 1: What a great way to start at the show, since it's Kurt Cobain's birthday or would have been his birthday. More on that momentarily. Ben and Skin Show ninety one point one the Eagle. Usually Ben talks first, but he's talking out of his butt on a.
Speaker 2: Toilet right now.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I think he might be better. He might be We were in a tech chain with him earlier.
Speaker 1: And so Christina got the norovirus, KT got the neuro virus, and we assume Ben got it yesterday. But you're both the yall's versions were identical, right.
Speaker 4: Pretty close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, didn't you throw up fifty pounds worth of vomit?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, I lost Kat. I don't know about you, but I lost ten pounds in three days.
Speaker 2: I think I lost like six to eight pounds. That is bonker. It's bad.
Speaker 4: But you're evacuating everything in your body and you can't keep.
Speaker 1: Anything down eating five days. Yeah, I had like an apple, KT. You told me you lost eight pounds of peen weight. Yeah, it's like damn son, that's your winter and shrinking. Oh yeah, it is so cold out sold the God. Have you guys seen the weather lately? No, don't, don't I'm sorry, it was a terrible question. So Ben, maybe we'll be back tomorrow. We're doing our show from the Hurtado Barbecue at the Dallas Farmers Market, and this is a big show because we love her Toto Barbecue.
Speaker 2: Have we confirmed that you'll be there? Christina? You have? Have you decided to go? O KTI?
Speaker 1: Of course I'll be there, okay, for the second time. So hopefully there's a humble brag. So hopefully Ben will be there, but if not, the three of us will be there. And we have Dallas Mavericks tickets to give away four tomorrow night's game. All right, so we have four tickets. I think we should give away two pair of two. I don't think we should give four to one person. Do you guys care?
Speaker 2: I don't care. I don't know the rules. I feel like it, Okay, sure, yes, it sounds great. Scin y'all aren't invested in that delay as much as I. You know, there's rules to everything. I can bend him. I don't know.
Speaker 1: We also have disturbed tickets were given away too. What's that four or two?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: Is a four packer? We give like two pairs? I haven't decided. Maybe a solo and three what are you.
Speaker 5: Boy?
Speaker 6: Solo?
Speaker 2: A disturbed ticket? What a terrible provision?
Speaker 4: No, concerts by yourself are kind of awesome, there are.
Speaker 1: That's because you go in the guitar tech takes you backstage.
Speaker 2: You're not the normal person, Christina, He's playing Metallica's guitar. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I talked to our old buddy Sam that we used to work with, and he told me him, his wife and both of his sons had this and it.
Speaker 2: Sounded exactly like what you two had.
Speaker 1: But Ben has not thrown up out of his front butt. Y, He hasn't had an oral experience, right, But you guys all had a terrible oral experience with storal experience. Yeah, ever coming to blame in the show will rank the worst oral I was.
Speaker 2: Thinking about last night. I wish I was wearing like a helmet all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but during really that oral experience, did your.
Speaker 2: Head just keep banging off? No bobblehead just shaking. That's terrible. God, it sounds like a bad experience.
Speaker 1: Helmet wearing, bibblehead KT projectile vomiting.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That makes me want to play the intro screaming way.
Speaker 4: Make its.
Speaker 2: Inhumane. I hope you don't get it.
Speaker 3: Time movies right now, you're ready, ready, ready, ready.
Speaker 6: Wit Evan Win, I'll show you goal Rubinhead, Simlar Sweet pursuing it. Donld Out Shaw Shank through the sewer, Kid now with chilling at the Eagle. Yeah, we're doing it. Three o'clock on the Doc. Got a habit for my house, a goat status Howard starting to Kit Crattit shows that enough multiplied like a rabbit.
Speaker 2: Two end zone out, crank it up, Pete the habit.
Speaker 3: Imona hang out with a friend, rocking it on the radio.
Speaker 5: My moist.
Speaker 2: Talking on the radio. It's time to to this walk is.
Speaker 3: All baby katistin enough.
Speaker 5: All up on the radio.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: As we mentioned right after you heard in bloom here on the Eagle, it is would have been the fifty eighth birthday of one Kurt Cobain. And as we're getting ready for the show earlier today, Christina is like, I know a guy who knows a lot about Kurt Cobain, and so we thought, man, that would be badass if we had him on the show. So joining us now on the Bend and Skin Hotline, the lead singer of the Nirvana cover band Oatmeal Pizza, which features our own Christina Ray the Wonderful Josh. Hello, Josh, how are we doing today?
Speaker 2: Hello radio friend.
Speaker 5: I'm doing excellent. How are you guys? Man?
Speaker 2: We're doing great.
Speaker 1: How are you celebrating what would have been Kurt Cobain's fifty eighth birthday?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not doing what I guess. You know, all the puking talk really coincides really well with this topic, So I'm not bringing in his birthday by puking all over the place. Ben's doing him a lot better justice than I am. I've just been playing guitar like a loser.
Speaker 2: But that's probably what Kurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure, Josh, Christina here, Yes, So you know a ton about Kurt? Is there any like fun fact maybe that a lot of people don't know about him?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's what's the most fun thing the guy who committed suicide?
Speaker 4: Something cool that people don't know?
Speaker 5: You know, he started by playing drums. He was a drummer originally, and that's what he was trained on in in junior high, in elementary school. Uh before he you know, really got going and playing guitar and other things. Uh so that was an interesting fact. I think a lot of us who play instruments always started on drums just because that seemed like the easiest thing to do for us lazy folks. And uh then that got that got us a bug by by starting behind the drum set, and then we wanted to do everything. So that was that's I don't know, it's a I think that's a cool thing from a musician standpoint, because I think a lot of musicians, especially rock people, that end up playing guitar and bass and other things, we all started out as drummers.
Speaker 2: Josh, this is Kevin.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, Kt, you introduced yourself to a guy that knows you by your nickname.
Speaker 2: So I was wondering yesterday's Skin on the show two days ago.
Speaker 3: On the show, Skin said something like, all those Nirvana songs are very much Kurt Cobaine songs though, right They just they.
Speaker 2: Feel like Kurt.
Speaker 3: I want to know this is that I've never really thought about too much. What do you know about his childhood growing up? What took him down such an angsty path? Or was it that different than I guess what we were all going through in our teenage years.
Speaker 2: You know, his is probably.
Speaker 5: A tale as old as time. His parents got divorced he was ten, and he talks about that in a couple of the different books that have been written. The Azara book Come as You Are like the best one because he spent like the actual most time with Kurt and developing the book, and Kurt was really involved with that whole process and like proofreading every part of it, and they agreed, you know that that would be the truth, the actual true story and if he got to tell it. But he talks about how that divorce when he was ten, like that's what turned him into sort of a melancholy kid going forward, because it wasn't just a divorce, especially when you learn a little bit more about it. It was a pretty volatile childhood situation to the point where he was being passed around by his family to other family members to try to take care of him in the short term because like he didn't have a stable living situation with either his mother or his father for a good period of time, and sort of that not having a place and sort of vagabond nature as such a young kid really shaped a lot of his personality and especially just having this very vibrant inner life that he had all the time. He was a very introspective person, especially for someone at such a young age, like he knew a lot about himself and he had a very good, good grasp on the world, I think, And as much as people would like to say that he's like a voice of the gen X generation, I think that he would bristle at that a little bit. I think that he would say that he was the counterpoint to that generation. He was the one who was calling it out. He grew up in it in that sort of junior high and high school atmosphere of a bunch of misogyny, jock macho attitude. That's what all the music was at the time, you know, And so he took the brunt of a lot of that bullying and a lot of that homophobia and misogyny and things were directed towards him. And I think he was way ahead of his time by the time, like the late eighties roll around. He's writing songs. He's writing songs that like would are are relevant still today because he was calling out that subject matter and trying to make a more inclusive environment for everybody. So I would say he's more of like a prophet of millennials and gen Z rather than the voice of Generation X.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was the conduit for what a lot of people were feeling. He wasn't trying to be that, he was just being being honest with what he was articulating everybody. Yeah, Josh, I would love to know when, because I'm not just blowing smoke. You guys are great live. In fact, I feel like I don't see you enough because every time I go, I enjoy it. You guys give me a couple opportunities for our listeners to see Oatmeal Pizza, the best Nirvana cover band in all the land, featuring our own Christina Ray Along. You're on lead vocals. Christina plays guitar along with you. When can we see you guys again?
Speaker 5: We are doing a big farewell show to Andy's and Denton. The staple club there on Denton Square is closing down. This weekend will be their last weekend of operations, so we're doing the last Sunday show at Andy's on this Sunday, February twenty third. It's an early show. It starts at seven or seven thirty and then everything finishes up before ten TMS, so no worries about a school night or missing work the next morning or anything like that. But come out to that one. That'd be a nice one to have a toast and bid farewell to the greatness of Andy's. And then after that, the next time we play is March twenty second. I think that's at dan Silverleaf and that'll be a matt and a show. So do you want to come hang out and do some day drinking on a Saturday afternoon?
Speaker 6: Come to that one.
Speaker 2: It sounds wonderful.
Speaker 1: Last time I saw you, guys, was actually at Andy, So that'll be a great show Sunday.
Speaker 2: Josh, thank you for the insight. We appreciate you. We'll see you later. Man, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 5: Love you guys, We love him.
Speaker 2: That is Josh of Oatmeal Pizza. You You just went to Kentucky with him, didn't you?
Speaker 4: Sure did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Man and his lovely wife.
Speaker 4: It was really fun.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for booking Josh. It is you know, it is funny.
Speaker 1: Some of the things he was saying there made me have a lot of thoughts on the Kurt Cobain experience. It's different for you guys, because you guys were like little kids when he took his life.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I never really appreciated Nirvana or Kurt as a lyricist in all of that until I joined Oatmeal Pizza.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll find some time later in the show to pontificate on all that, because all of our Eagle listeners love Nirvana all right. Coming up next, Kevin has a special surprise that'll pit me against Christina once again. We're enemies, and we'll show it to you next right here on ninety seven point one, The Eagle