Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, and for this week of May twelfth, we are continuing with Lost Season two, episode twenty one, question Mark.
Speaker 2: Question Mark.
Speaker 1: I'm not forgetting the name of the title. They didn't forget the name of the title. The name of the title is, in fact, simply a punctuation mark.
Speaker 2: They could have at least spelled out the words.
Speaker 1: I guess. But the thing is that the thing that they found was in the shape of a question mark. So I get at this point they got to be so exhausted for creativity that they're just like, oh, who cares what they'll people will write two thousand word essays about why we used a punctuation mark for our title. A little bit long, but it does make it difficult to say it for a podcast. Come on, think of the podcasters, you guys, even though there were I don't know if there were any podcasts. But yeah, So this was Lock and Echo trapes them through the jungle looking for things they that Echo has seen in his dreams, and Locke has.
Speaker 2: Seen when he was crushed under a door. Yes, right, that's right.
Speaker 1: So uh, Echo has some trippy dreams where his brother tells him to find Lock and go, uh you know, follow help him. And then of course there's another dream that looks like it's a tripy Echo dream, except it's a trippy Lock dreamy dreaming he's Echo. So all sorts of fun being had by the creative team, and for the payoff of finding another hatch right that spies on the main hatch and reveals the main hatch as just a sye op to see if we can get idiots to hit a key. But Echo is now convinced it's vitally important. So as long as they got somebody. Yeah, and there is a printer in this hatch that still has paper and working ink after apparently sitting idle for quite some time, or maybe not. Either it's sat idle, in which case the ink would be dried up, or it's been working all this time, in which case does somebody stop by and replace the toner cartridge. It's a magical printer. What it's the island? It's magic. Don't ask questions, Terry, No, because my history with printers is bad. And you have to be calling the tech support guy to come and fix your printer. Yeah, that's insane. Everything else I buy. Everything else is.
Speaker 2: The pneumatic tube print came on also, like they have the series of pneumatic tubes, which no idea where those go. And Locke puts his little map that he drew in it and sends it away, like, but you worked hard on that, Like you just want to send it into the void.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I guess he's found the thing the map was leading him to, so I guess.
Speaker 2: But there were other things on that map. Yeah, it was like a whole network of hatches.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Just like, what what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Maybe there was a copy machine there we didn't see and he just made a copy of it. Yes, it's just been sitting there with fresh Toner for ye, Dharmer brand Toner. It lasts a long time.
Speaker 2: Ye, never ever expires cams.
Speaker 1: This is a magic island.
Speaker 2: People can walk, people can are cured of cancer. Yeah, but they are not cured of gunshots. Sadly maybe.
Speaker 1: And she tried to tell them at the end, just before she died. Yep, she tried to Michael, the one who did it. But of course, oh yeah, he's falling.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about him. She's dying. Going, no, no.
Speaker 1: Watch last week's episode. Will you come on? There's probably a video of it somewhere one of these is now we know there is. Yeah, that's right. They could go to the other. Yeah, I don't know that was I mean, I guess the flashbacks were saying something about faith, and that reflects on this in that Locke had faith that what he was doing was meaningful, and now Echo has that faith and we'll take it over. But there was I mean, there's so much going on on the island. The flashbacks just seemed particularly this time. Although that was the father of the girl who supposedly died, was in fact the psychic that Claire went to, right, I did actually saw the scary thing. I did actually recognize him. I did not recognize him, but I know law of economy of flashback characters. They tend to uh, if there's a psychic here and there's a psychic there, I bet they're the same. Compoy, Yes, and I guess he. I was looking on Lostipedia just to verify. And he was the one who told her not to give her kid up and all that stuff. But also I think gave her the money to fly to to get on that flight and insisted it be that flight or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all coming to He's connected somehow.
Speaker 1: Everything's connected. Everything is connected. The guy who shined your shoes at the airport will not to be Yeah, So I just it's like okay, move along, move along. But you know, okay.
Speaker 2: Once but somehow Echo got from Nigeria to Australia and continue to be a priest. So good for him. Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry. The pope opening has been filled, so he will not be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never know.
Speaker 1: Stuff happens. But this may just be me, but I found this episode to be really dark, and I don't mean thematically. I meant I couldn't see what was going on at the time. There was a lot of dark rooms. And yeah, it's like I would say, you need to put up subtitles to explain to people what they're supposed to be seeing, but then I wouldn't have been able to see the subtitles. So more sound, more discussion, well.
Speaker 2: Just more light in the rear light.
Speaker 1: Possibly, Yeah, if you can keep the toner on on and the river working, maybe you can invest in some better lighting. Oh dear, this was just us, poor Hurley. Everybody must just have been going.
Speaker 2: Oh Hurley.
Speaker 1: Right, he got to say he apologized for not having brought a blanket, because really it is all his fault. If the organized the picnic better, she never would have gone back. So I hope Michael's feeling bad that he shot Hurley's girlfriend.
Speaker 2: He does seem to be feeling bad, but.
Speaker 1: Mostly when it was a random woman, that's okay, But it was Harley's girlfriend. Man, I think you heard early.
Speaker 2: I think he's mostly afraid that he's gonna get caught. Was more his as well.
Speaker 1: He should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although.
Speaker 1: The Keystone cops here probably he could get away, but they're not particularly well oiled incarceration machines. But yeah, so Locke, they decided somebody needed to go and chase the fugitive prisoner, whose name we will not say because it's in flux, and they echo makes sense. He's a guy I would not want pursuing me. And the guy on crutches, shouldn't the island have healed him by now? I thought he was going to get out of the hatch and then throw the crutches to the side and said, I don't need these brightens. I'm fine, But no, he's trapesing through the jungle on crutches, as one does. So that's a little and and of course they abandon all pretense of chasing not Henry as soon as they get out of the hatch and are just following locks, map and echoes dream to the jungle. Sure as you do, possibly go along, but of course it works. And that plane, I hope they saved the prop the plane prop from the first time, and haven't had to reconstruct you need the plane again? Really? Yeah, times where we have to use this stupid stupid little plane.
Speaker 2: You know, we've been there many times at this.
Speaker 1: Point, it's been a very important thing. Oh well, and I enjoyed that Sawyer has been hiding all the stuff in his little dwelling, right, And I.
Speaker 2: Mean it's a good you know, just sleep on top of it, right.
Speaker 1: So absolutely, Yeah, it made me think from a parenting point of view, you about effect of hiding techniques hide something. If you need to hide something from your child, do you hide it in some obscure place or do you hide it someplace you have constant reference to so that you can check its whereabouts, But then you risk it being too public or would they never think to look there. I don't remember when I think I when I have to hide something, I keep it close to me. Yeah, in the past when I've had to hide something.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I keep I keep snacks in my in my purse, my work bag, you know, like which which just hangs on the doorknob, you know, by the kitchen, like.
Speaker 1: Then you can let anybody see you giving them away my secret.
Speaker 2: Or in the car. Actually I do keep things in the car as well.
Speaker 1: It's a decoy, kids.
Speaker 2: She doesn't really.
Speaker 1: I did a getting warmer and getting colder thing with my daughter. Yesterday with my thirty five year old daughter fun wanting to find something of mine, and I said, I started saying, you're getting warmer, right. She found it really quickly. She had a pretty good idea where it was, right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we have a guest room that has a pretty big chest of drawers in it. So, oh, I have used that in the past.
Speaker 1: Because nobody thinks to look there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good place I have. I have. I have lots of areas of junk that I could probably hide things in.
Speaker 2: Right because people will be like, eh, nothing there, just moms.
Speaker 1: Yeah stuff. I do wonder you know, when we go on trips, I feel very nervous. I feel like I should hide things like valuable and so I have a variety of places where I hide stuff and it seems to make sense. But then I get home and I think, oh, crap, I have to remember where I hit it right. Sometimes it takes me a long time to mind that.
Speaker 2: Lad. Oh, yeah, I was really clever. That good good on me.
Speaker 1: He hit it from myself right, So I never would have thought of, like, you know, putting it under the sheets on the bed. Just so that I would be laying on top of it at all times. But you know, Sawyer, Sawyer knows that nobody's gonna want to go into his little plane, right his shack, Yeah, from part of the airplane, right part of.
Speaker 2: The yeah, I think so former and some tarps and but and you know, it was another sort of character note that Jack knew that he wouldn't let Libby suffer. Yes, you know, yes, which you know was another small step in the rehabilitation of Zawyer.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, that's right. So I wonder if Kate will immediately she should respect the situation and immediately tell Jack where the guns are.
Speaker 2: Right well, and also like lipping out one dose and then she died like yeah, I'm sorry, but it just didn't seem like it was maybe not even worth it, worth all the trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she suffered less for that last last little bit.
Speaker 2: I guess those few minutes.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, Anna Lucia got one more scene walking up to mister Echo and my husband said, isn't she dead? I said, yeah, we were asking that about this island. Just because you see a person doesn't really mean anything, yep.
Speaker 2: I mean, how many times have we seen Christian Shepherd. That guy not only has never been on the island except as a dead body, but you know he's not a main character.
Speaker 1: But yet, right right, death is not the end for these actors. You can always come back. There's so many different ways you can come back. You can be in a flashback, you can be in a dream, you could be revivified by the island. You can uh, you know, there's just yeah, don't tell your agent not to worry, right, you'll be back.
Speaker 2: You could be in your own flashback. You can be in someone else's flashback. You can be in your own dream, somebody else's dream. Yeah, yes, so many times.
Speaker 1: Don't tick off the producers so that they want you back. I think there was one actor somewhere down the line that we'll discuss who I don't think ever came back after. But you know, be friendly and there's all sorts of.
Speaker 2: Options, right, And I suppose they also have just footage of people, you know that they can edit, and that's true.
Speaker 1: Some royalties or something. I enjoyed that Kate was asking Sawyer questions about how exactly and Lysia got the gun, so just gave it to her, did you? Or how did she get it precisely?
Speaker 2: She perhaps has some suspicions.
Speaker 1: It being someone who might have used the same procedure to get a gun in that situation. So she recognizes a a fellow strategist, and Alicia knows exactly, Yes, slawyer, that happen.
Speaker 2: Tell me, do you she just took it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my back was turned. What can I do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, let's all enjoy. Yes, that's why you're getting played. It didn't help her very much, but still yeah, but it let her.
Speaker 2: Have a a sort of moment of what's the word I want to use? You know that a realization that she did not want to kill someone, you know, right, conscience, I think is what you.
Speaker 1: Said before her death. So yes, that's good. If there had been a real priest there where was echo and you needed I'm up into the trup plane, there's a dead priest, you could probably still let's see what else can we say? From a parenting point of view, you know, when Libby says my and Jack immediately assumes she is asking after his welfare, it's maybe a sign of don't jump to the easiest conclusion right. Certainly with kids too, I mean, they will say or do something and you will say, oh, well, I know what this means, and you will be wrong because sometimes you have to step back and think about it, or listen a little harder, or look for other clues. And you know, in Luby's case, I guess there wasn't really any reason they would think anything different, although it's not like, I mean, why would she be asking exactly well, being of all, why would she not have asked about Anna? Yeah, so that's a little weird, and maybe the tumblers of that will click down for somebody at some point. But a parenting point of view, just as tempting as it is to say, well, I'm smart and I know what things are. Sometimes take a step back right, think of other possibilities while he's still there in the hatch, and you can.
Speaker 2: Do something right quickly. Be too late.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep yep. And also dreams, lots about dreams, yes one, lots of actual actual people sleeping and waking up dreams right rather than visions, and you know other creepy stuff. You don't necessarily have to be sleeping to see dead people at this place, yes, that is true, but it happens sometimes.
Speaker 2: Right or to see horses or.
Speaker 1: You know, did your kids ever have trouble with bad dreams or waking up in the middle of the night, and you have to figure out a way to make things not scary.
Speaker 2: Not too much, you know, I mean, especially when they were really little, they weren't sleeping great, But it wasn't because of nightmares typical you know, yeah baby stuff. But yeah, no I don't. I don't recall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't leave my kids either. Now my daughter wakes up screaming sometimes, but I think it's not because of dreams. She says, it's not because of dreams. It's because she feels like she's falling out of bed. So maybe that's a dream of falling out of bed, right, or it's just that she gets too close to the edge. She has in fact fallen out of bed a couple of times. Oh, which she has a big bed. Now you have to really trump said, are you sleeping in the middle of the bed? How are you traveling all the way to the edge?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: She's you know, she had a twin bed and then we moved her downstairs so she could have a bigger bed. But stop, maybe it means something. Yeah, there's somebody pushing you.
Speaker 2: There's somebody pushing It's a dog, is what.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, she did mention that the dog was in bed with her all night the other night, so yeah, usually the dog splits its time amongst various sleeping spots. This time just which she likes that the dog likes her, and she likes that the dog wants to sleep on her bed. She does not like the layer of black fur this leaves.
Speaker 2: On her bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just got to get over that.
Speaker 2: Well, we just have a special dog sheet that goes on and.
Speaker 1: She does have she has like a towel she puts over her bed. But I guess the dog doesn't always stay in its own Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta, you gotta cover the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I guess we were pretty lucky with the dreams and nightmares.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, mostly were too, because that's really difficult to do anything because you can't like hop in their brains and fix it, right. I don't know. I don't know if my son dreams, I don't think he would say.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can still remember a couple of the dreams I had as a baby, or not a baby, as a little kid. Like some of the bad dreams that I had I still.
Speaker 1: Remember though, Yeah, I think I might too, kind of science fiction? Any dreams were scary? Yeah, my kids have not shared with me, so from parenting Quin to Yew, I got nothing to say about dreams. We just talk about my dreams for them. Rights, you would have a better job than Wenday's in each three thought. But that's a whole.
Speaker 2: Nother bro, that's a different kind of a nightmare, right, yes, indeed.
Speaker 1: Well, next Tuesday we will continue with season two two, Episode twenty two, have lost three minutes. How many episodes do we have left in season two? We got to close to the end.
Speaker 2: I think it's twenty four total.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, because I think there's this one and then a two parter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me just confirm.
Speaker 1: Remember vaguely seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then there's a two parter, so.
Speaker 1: We'll see yes, live together dialone or something like.
Speaker 2: Correct part one and part two.
Speaker 1: So they could have just made it live together dot dot dot and then dialogue dot dot dialone. Yeah, but no, it's a two parter, right, and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss Running Point, which I wish had all been a dream and yet probably not I don't think we'll come back next week and they'll say all that stuff last week. Never, We're a wig now and everything's fine. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.