Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we continue in our series called fifty Days of Faith. In these lessons, Rick looks into God's Word to discover the true meaning of faith and explore ways we can strengthen it. First, today, when you join our partner and Hope family by signing up for automated monthly Giving, we'll send you a special welcome gift as our way of saying thanks. To find out more, go to Pastorick dot com while you listen to today's message, or simply text the word Hope to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. That's the word Hope to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with part one of a message called God's Way of Meeting My Needs.
Speaker 2: All along in this series we've been talking about the importance of the promises of God. God that if you're going to be a man of faith, if you're going to be a woman of faith, you have to learn and claim the promises of God. Now, one of the most famous promises in the entire Bible is the one at the top of your outline Philippians four nineteen, which says, my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Now that's a pretty broad statement. God says I will meet all your needs according to my riches in Christ Jesus. Some of you saying, rick, I don't understand that verse. I have needs in my life that are not being met. I have physical needs, I have spiritual needs, I have social needs, I have financial needs, I have sexual needs. I have a lot of needs in my life that are not being met. So why doesn't this verse work for me? Why isn't this promise working in my life? Well, it's not God's fault. You need to understand the behind every promise is a premise. There is a condition, and God says, if you do this, then I will do this. And today we're going to look at those conditions. And if you follow those conditions, the premises behind the promise, you can count on the fact that God says I will meet all your needs. Now, he doesn't say I'll meet all your greeds. He says I'll meet all your needs in your life. And in tewod Corinthians chapter nine, if you have a Bible, you might want to turn there. If you don't, all the verses are on your outline. God spells out first the principle how I mean, what God wants us to do. Then he spells out the procedure how to do it, and then finally he gives us the promise again, the guarantee. Now, if you're going to take notes on any week, this is a good week to take notes. Get out of pencil. This can save you some money, it'll increase your joy, it'll increase your faith, it will change your life if you'll understand how God meets your deepest needs. Now here's the principle. First, when you have a need, plant a seed. When you have a need, plant a seed. Second, Corinthians nine, verse six says this, let's read it aloud together. Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, And whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Now this is the principle of sowing and reaping. When a farmer looks at a baron field and he wants to have a crop, what does he do to get a crop? Does he pray about it? No? Prayers worthless at that point does he complain about it? No, complaining is worthless at that point. What he needs to do is go out and sow some seed. Until he sows some seed, nothing is going to happen on that piece of baron property. He has to start by giving. Here are two farmers and they're both in debt, and they both have a sack of seed. And one farmer says, this is all I got. I'm going to hold on to it. I'm not gonna give it away. I'm not gonna spread it because it's all I've gotten. Once it's gone, it's gone. He's never getting out of debt. The other farmer says, here's a sack of seed. I'm gonna go spread it out. I'm gonna go. The only way I'm gonna get out of debt is give what i've got away. That is the principle. What is God saying here. God is saying that his financial plan for your life starts with giving in faith. It's a test of faith. Now that may seem illogical. You say, Rick, I don't have enough. Why would I give away what I've got? I don't have enough? Because God's ways are not your ways. And God wants to teach you faith. Look at the next verse. God says, my ways are not your ways. What's man's way when you get in a financial bind, Well, typically number one first thing we do is go borrow something, charge it. If I can't afford it, put it on a credit card. I don't have enough, so I'll just put it on credit. And so man's way is to borrow. Man second way is work harder, take on a second job, work over time, get a little additional income any way that I can. Some people will beg they'll go bum off their relatives. Some people will steal, but most people either borrow or work harder when they're in debt. God says, time out. That's not my plan. God's way is g iv, e give, He says, when you have a need, sow some seed. Plant some seed. That is a statement of faith. And the more seed you sew, the bigger harvest. If I want a little crop, I sow a little bit of seed. If I want a medium crop, I saw a medium amount of seed. If I want a big crop, I sow a whole lot of seed. When you have a need, plan a seed. I've talked to a lot of people, say, you know, Rick when I get out of debt, then I'll start giving. God says, no, you don't understand it. Start giving, and I'll help you get out of debt. It's a statement a faith.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope Rip will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. You can sign up for Pastor Rick's free email devotional at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 3: Did you know that God has a dream for your life? Before you took your very first breath, he had already placed the gift of imagination into your brain and hardwired creativity into every cell of your body. But discovering and fulfilling your God given dream will require a journey of faith on your part. That's why Pastor Rick just released the Created to Dream Bible study, based on the core teaching found in his best selling book Created to Dream. The six week video based study will reveal the process God uses to fulfill the custom made dream he has it just for you, and the faith building phases he'll lead you through as he does. This video study includes an enhanced workbook with lesson outlines, he versus, and homework for deeper reflection between each session. You can do the study on your own or with friends in a small group setting. So whether you're feeling stock, forgotten, afraid, or uninspired, the Created to Dream Bible Study will give you the tools you need to awaken and pursue the custom made dream God created you to fulfill. And today, when you give a gift to help daily Hope take the word of God to a hurting world, we'll send you the Created to Dream Bible Study Kit to say thanks. Just call eight hundred at six hundred five zero zero four or go to Pastorick dot com to get your very own copy of the Created to Dream Study Kit. And if you choose to become a partner in Hope with automated monthly giving, we'll also send you a very special welcome gift to show our appreciation. That's Pastorick dot com or you can call eight hundred at six hundred five zero zero four. Thank you so much for your support, and don't forget to let us know which radio station you heard us on. There's only two days left to get this. It's great resource, so don't wait.
Speaker 1: Now let's get back to today's lesson. Here on Pastor Rick's daily hope.
Speaker 2: God's way is giv e give. He says, when you have a need, sow some seed. Plant some seed. That is a statement of faith. And the more seed you sew, the bigger harvest. If I want a little crop, I sow a little bit of seed. If I want a medium crop, I saw a medium amount of seed. If I want a big crop, I sow a whole lot of seed. When you have a need, plant a seed. I've talked to a lot of people. Say, you know, Rick, when I get out of debt, then I'll start giving. God says, no, you don't understand it. Start giving, and I'll help you get out of debt. It's a statement a faith. Now, you don't have to have God's help in your life. If you want to just go through life on your own, He'll let you do that. But the best time to plant seeds is when you have a need. Now, this principle of sowing and reaping applies to every area of your life, not just finance, but every single area. Whatever you give out in life, you're going to get back. If you give out criticism, what are you going to get back criticism? That's exactly right. If you give out kindness, people are going to be kind to you. If you give out anger, you know what, you're going to get back anger. Whatever you give out you get back. You give out love, you're going to get back love. Now, whatever you get back, you not only get back, but you get more of it back. You get angry at somebody, you notice they get angrier at you. That just happens that way. You be critical of somebody in a little way, they'll be really critical of you. And the truth is, whatever you give, you're going to get back. So whatever you need, you need to give away. If you need more time, give away your time. If you need more money, you give away your money. If you need more energy, you give it away. How do you get more energy by sitting around and eating potato chips? No, by going out and exercising. By giving away energy. When you exercise, you know what, you build muscle by using a muscle. Whatever you need more of you use it. You give it away, and God will bless it. Now that's the principle. When I have a need, whatever I need more of, I give it away. Now here's the procedure. It's in the next verse. The procedure is give with the right attitude, because there's a right way and there's a wrong way to plant seed. There's a right way and the wrong way to give, and it doesn't work unless you do it with the right attitude. Tewod Corinthians ninety seven. You must each make up your own mind. In other words, nobody can tell you what to give. You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give. Don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure, for God loves the person who gives cheerfully. Now let's just clarify this right up front. God doesn't need your money. God owns all the money anyway. In fact, your money in really yours. It's God. He just gave it to you. You get to use it while you're alive, and then when you're dead, he's going to give it somebody else. So you don't really own anything. It's just kind of on loan from God while you're here on earth. So God doesn't need your money, So what does he need. He wants your heart, He wants what your money represents. You see, most of us spend all our lives thinking about money, planning about money, saving money, spending money, worrying about money, investing money, using money, and God says, it's such a major part of your life. I want to be in your life. God wants your heart, not your money. He doesn't need your money. He wants your heart. But that's what it represents. Bible says, where your treasure is, your heart is. Now. God is far more interested than in your attitude than he is in any amount. Mount doesn't make any difference to God. What do you give doesn't make any difference. He's interested in your attitude. He's not interested in how much you give to him. He's interested in why you give that amount? Why not more? Why not less? Why do you give what you give? He wants your heart. Now. If you want God to meet all your needs, you need to have five good attitudes in your life. And here they are. We're all in this verse. First, I am to give thoughtfully, thoughtfully. In other words, it says, make up your own mind. Don't let anybody tell you what to give. They can't. You have to make up your own mind thoughtfully. You don't give impulsively. You think about it, you pray about it. You make a deliberate decision based on prayer and conscious thought. Now, folks, I have to be honest with you. I didn't learn this truth for many, many years as a Christian. For many years as a Christian, I thought the most spiritual kind of giving was spontaneous giving. Course, I'd get moved emotionally, I'd get a quiver in my liver, and I'd see some need and I'd go, oh, I'm just going to give it all. And I pull out my wallet and whatever, I gotta give it. And I just thought, you know, it's kind of If it's spontaneous, then it's spiritual. God says, no, you're wrong, Rick, God says, I want you to plan your giving. I want you to think it out. I want you to give serious consideration to it, prayerfully, consider, be thoughtful, not impulsive. Second, he says, be enthusiastic. I am to give enthusiastically. He says, not reluctantly. In other words, not out of guilt motivation, never give out of guilt, never not grudgingly, not grin and bear like, Oh I got to give something, now, you know. He says, don't give reluctantly. And then he says number three. Third attitude, I am to give voluntarily voluntarily. Notice, it says not in response to pressure. Now, if you've been around saddle Back for a length of time, you know we don't believe in pressured giving. At Saddleback Church, somebody saying, Rick, I feel pressure just you talking about it, Well, that's your problem. I'm not pressuring you, okay. I mean you know that's an intern no problem. You maybe need to deal with that, and we do have counseling, but okay, I'm not putting any pressure on you. In fact, let me tell you just the opposite. If you ever feel pressured to give, don't because you don't get any credit for it. God says it's your attitude that counts. So if you ever feel pressure to give, the Bible says, don't do it. That means if you somebody ever comes to your door and they give this sob story and they're putting you under pressure to give, you can say, now, Pastor Rick told me not to give, because I am exactly telling you to do that. Never never, never give under pressure. If you feel pressured, it's not gonna count anyway in God's book, And what he's looking for is your heart. Now, notice the fourth thing he says, I'm to give not only thoughtfully enthusiastically voluntarily. I am to give cheerfully, cheerfully if I want God to meet my needs. The Bible says God loves the person who gives cheerfully. Now you know, the New Testament of the Bible was originally written in Greek, and the Greek word for cheerful there is the Greek word hilarios. I bet you can't guess what word we get from that.
Speaker 1: Hilarious.
Speaker 2: God says, I want you to have a good time when you give. It should be a gut busting laughter time. It's not. The Bible doesn't say give till it hurts. The Bible says, give because it feels good, And the truth is it does. It's always more fun to give because you know it's making a difference, it's lasting. If you haven't learned that, you just haven't given enough yet. The Bible says, give because it feels good. Now, why does God love a cheerful giver? Says God loves cheerful? Why, I'll tell you why. Because he's won. God cheerfully gives to you every single second of your life. The breath you just took, God cheerfully gave it to you. You would have nothing if it weren't for God's cheerful giving. And God wants you to learn to be like him. Now listen to this. If you don't get anything else, when you are giving cheerfully, you are more like Jesus Christ than any other time. You are more like God. You are more Godly when you are cheerfully giving than any other time. Because cheerful giving represents the essence of God. And you cannot be a Christian, a follower of Christ without learning to give cheerfully, because that is the nature of God. God loves to give, and he loves to see you give cheerfully. And he goes, that's my boy. He looks down and he says, that's my girl. She's given cheerfully. She's becoming like me. He's becoming like me. So I'm to give cheerfully. And then number five, I am to give weekly. Now that's w e e k l y na, not w e A k l y weekly. Let's read this verse together on one Grinthean sixteen two on every Lord's Day. By the way, what is the Lord's day? Sundays, first day of week? Why do we worship on Sunday? Because Jesus arose was resurrected on Sunday, and so we celebrate Jesus resurrection on every Lord's Day. Read it with me. Put aside some from what you have earned during the week, and use it for the offering. Giving is an act of worship, and you're to give it on the day of worship in your place of worship. It's an act of worship, so you give it at the place of worship when you worship me. Worship is not just come singing some songs and hear a message. There are other parts to worship. Prayer, commitment, and giving are all acts of worship. And God says, I want you to give me the first part of your money on the first day of the week as a reminder that I'm number one in your life. Now, how can I learn to give cheerfully? Because by my nature I'm not naturally a cheerful giver. So how do I learn it? Well, on the back of your outline, there are three things you need to remember, and if you remember these three truths, you'll become a very cheerful giver. Number one, remember it all comes from God. It all comes from God. You'll never give anything away that God didn't give to you. You would have nothing if it weren't for God. The Bible says in the next verse Tewod Corinthians nine ten, God gives seed to the farmer and food to those who eat and need eat. And God will also give you seed and multiply it. When a farmer goes out to so seed, where'd he get the seed? He didn't invent it. God even gave him the seed. He's going to get a crop. But even the seed came from God. So it's all God's in the first place. Second, I remember God's guarantee, and God's guarantee is that whatever I give to God, God is going to give back to me. I overlook the verse on the first part. Turn it back over for just a minute and look at Luke six thirty eight. Now this is right from the words of Jesus. Give to others, and God will give to you. The measure you use for others is the one God will use for you. So God says, you can choose how much I bless your life, and you can choose by your giving. Whatever I give you give to me, I'll give to you what will just measure it back and forth. God is a guarantee. In two Corinthians nine to eleven, he says you will be enriched so that you can give even more generously. Do you know how God grows your heart, makes you, gives you a bigger heart. You give to him, he gives more back to you than you got. Then you give him more than he gives more back to you. Then you give him more, and it just keeps growing your heart. Instead of having a little, tiny, shriveled heart, he grows bigger and bigger. So you remember God's guarantee that he will bless you back in return. And number three, I remember my eternal reward. I remember my eternal reward God. Did you know that God rewards you every time you give? And you're storing up treasure in heaven. The Bible says an eternal reward Luke sixteen nine. Use your worldly resources to benefit others. In this way, your generosity stores up a reward for you in heaven. Now get this, this is so phenomenal. Anything that I hold onto in this life I'm losing the moment I die. Anything I hold on too, I refuse to let go up. I'm losing at the end of this life. But anything that I place in God's hands, I will enjoy forever an eternity. He says, it's being stored up in heaven. Anything I put in His hands, I will be restored and rewarded in eternity. Now it's not you die, you get to heaven and you call back and say, wire it all up now. No, you gotta do your given while you're living, so you'll be knowing where it's going.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's daily Hope. We are so happy that you've chosen to study along with us today. Rick will be right back to close out our time today. But first, over the last couple of years, we've all experienced worldwide changes and events that have impacted us in profound and sometimes unimaginable ways. For many of us, those changes will impact our lives for years to come. Pastor Rick believes that now more than ever, people need God's word and the hope that it brings. That's why he'd like to invite you to become a partner in hope. Here's Rick to tell you more.
Speaker 2: There are nearly eight billion people on this planet, and God wants us to reach every one of them with the gospel. Jesus said, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I've commanded you, And surely I'm with you always to the very end of the age. That's called the Great Commission. It often seems like mission possible. But if we'll work together to fulfill the Great Commission, God will turn it into the great completion. You know, the Bible says that in heaven, an enormous crowd of people from every race, every tribe, every nation, and every language will one day stand before Jesus Christ to worship him. That's in Revelation chapter seven, verse nine. And that's why I'm asking you, friends, to partner with Daily Hope by becoming a partner in Hope. What is a partner in Hope? Well, right now we're able to take the good News of Jesus into almost every country of the world, including regions where it's difficult or dangerous to share the gospel. But thanks to your prayers and your financial support, we reach millions of people around the world every month through radio, the internet, podcasting, TV, and we're translating Daily Hope into twenty five languages that enable us to reach over eighty percent of the world's populace. That's because of your faithfulness. And yet there are still billions of people that need to hear about the hope we find in Jesus. So please pray about becoming a Partner of Hope today. Partners and Hope provide vital monthly support that will help us reach millions more people around the world, including these regions we're going to that have no Bibles, no believers, and no bodies of Christ. If God puts it on your heart, then please join us. Become a Partner of Hope today. With your first monthly donation, we'll send you a special gift to welcome you to the Partner and Hope family. Now, there's nothing more important that we can do together than to make sure people all around the world hear the good news of Jesus Christ and have a chance to grow in God's word. Join us today as a Partner and Hope.
Speaker 1: It's so easy to join you simp Let us know how much you'd like to give each month, and we'll set up an easy regular donation plan for you. Just go to Pastororick dot com or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. When you do, we'll send you a special bonus welcome gift and Pastor Rick's brand new Created to Dream study Kit. To say thanks again, that's Pastorick dot com or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. There's only two days left to get this great resource, so don't wait. Thank you so much for your support, and don't forget to let us know which radio station you hurt us on. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support