Speaker 1: Welcome to the Transformation Station podcast. I'm Christina, owner, operator, and founder of the Transformation Station, and this is where we talk about getting stronger while navigating real life. If you're trying to stay consistent through the ups and the downs and everywhere else in between, this is for you. All right, welcome back to the podcast. I have an exciting guest today, Sarah, who is a member for You're about to celebrate your.
Speaker 2: Five years Well know, yeah, crazy wow, I know.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna ask you a couple of questions. And this is actually the first time Sarah's been on the podcast. How do you feel about it so far?
Speaker 2: A little nervous, but I'm okay. I once we get going, I'm sure I'll be fine. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: It's interesting like when we actually said we have a conversation like five days a week for the last almost five years, and it's just so normal. And then once you're like, okay, we're going to record our conversation, changes the name.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, it puts a little bit of pressure on it, but I think he'll be fine.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be great. Yeah, okay, So before joining the Transformation Station, what was fitness in your life? What did it look like.
Speaker 2: Official fitness was non existent? It maybe going for a walk, maybe we're you know, going on the treadmill. Mostly it was doing things with the kids, like taking them to the park, playing soccer in the field, baseball, that kind of thing. But for myself it was non existent.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's something I know we've talked about a lot, and usually I've actually referenced Sarah on the podcast before and cried about it. You're a mom, Yes, what are your kids? What are your kids? I do you have?
Speaker 2: I have four boys, very active boys. Well they're adults now, most of them, but yeah, they arranged from twenty five to four teen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was.
Speaker 2: Very consuming and busy for most of my adult life. M So, yeah, for me, it was all about them and making sure that they were active and busy and not so much myself.
Speaker 1: Would you say you put yourself on the back burner absolutely? Yeah, Yeah, busy. I bet that's a lot of even driving there here and everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, organizing, planning, you know, making sure they had everything they needed, they were fed, they were looked after, and yeah, it was all about them.
Speaker 1: How did you feel about that? Like back then?
Speaker 2: Fine? Like I don't. I don't regret anything, like I think that that was kind of I loved it. That's what I wanted to be doing. But yeah, I don't think I realized how important it was to make myself a priority at that time.
Speaker 1: So, now that most of the boys are out of the house and living their lives and having girlfriends and things, yes, how how did that shift with you having not so much I don't want to say chaos, but not so many things on the agenda for everybody else? So how does that feel that? So the reason I'm asking this is because there's a few members that have approached me and they're in that transition period where it's like I'm thinking of the Britney Spears song. It's like I'm not a girl, not yet a woman, yeah, and they don't know how to be because they're like my kids were my entire life. Yes, and now I'm in a rut and I feel upset. So did you go through that growing pain of the transition.
Speaker 2: Or you're like I still feel that sometimes, like a little lost without having to be busy all the time, like taking them to and front things, or you know, they're able to do things on their own. Now they don't need me to you know, plan and organize their you know, fitness lives or take them to games and practices like they do all that themselves. So yeah, there are days that I feel like a little lost, but I know being here certainly gives me motivation and something for myself. Yeah, I haven't had.
Speaker 1: When people join the gym. It's and I say this all the time. You probably heard me say it as well. I'm like, I know you Sarah for Sarah. I don't know you as the wife version, the mom version. I mean like I feel like I'm a part of your family because I know so much about your family, because I know you're very proud of your family, and I'm like, they're all my best friends, Like your husband's my best friend and he doesn't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're all your.
Speaker 1: Kids and your dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting because it's like I know this Sarah only version of you, not the mom version, the working version, like the I like to keep my house and order version and dog mom version, you know what I mean. It's like I only know you then all of a sudden when I meet Like last night I met Yilla's husband actually, and I was like, oh, this is this is her husband. Okay, I've heard about you. I know your name. I shook his hand and he knew my name too. Yeah, And it was like the world's collided because when I see her, I see her for just her. Right, you have other friends.
Speaker 2: Other than me. Yeah, yeah, And it's almost like you have an idea in your head and then when you see it in reality, it's yeah, it's different for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty neat. Actually. I like the different dynamics. Like sometimes I'm like, oh, that explains a lot. Yeah, now I know why you're here, right, Or sometimes I'm like, this is awesome. Now I know why you speak so highly of your family. Right, So then you can see the unit come together as one instead of just knowing one piece of it. But in saying that, like you are an individual and so has everybody else in here, and people are like, that's what I love about coming here is that I can just be me exactly yes, and no one's asking for a snack.
Speaker 2: But that's like a hundred percent yes, yes I saw.
Speaker 1: Actually word to you to next Door from Christmas Shoes on the podcast earlier this week, and or sorry at the end of last week and she posted, uh, there's a woman named Sarah. She runs that kind of life. I know you're not on social media. She's very big on social media. She's awesome. And they posted them like cheers in and they're like by like a really nice rooftop pool and it's like, yeah, I know it would be nice, and it was this is no one asking me for enughing snack?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah the mom time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, oh, I can see that. So when you first joined the gym, okay, so I wrote, Sarah, have a few questions that I wrote pre asked your gymniversary is next week. I think it's like in the next three days as your fifth year gymniversary. Did you ever think that you would still be here five years later?
Speaker 2: No? No looking back now, yeah, why wouldn't I be here? Like it's just so it's like my home away from home. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. But at the time, no, there's no way I would have ever thought that I'd be where I am now, never in a million years, because fitness wasn't such a focus for me. Like I just I was doing things, yes, like I was healthy, I guess, but not not like I am now.
Speaker 1: So when you first joined the gym, what were you if you could hate a picture of yourself, but you were when you entered the gym and where you're at now? What are the what's the differences?
Speaker 2: Very timid? When I first joined, Yeah, I thought I couldn't do anything. I felt like I couldn't do anything. I didn't even know where to begin. I think that was like I've always known, I hate running, I hate, you know, trying to lift things that are heavy. I was like, I can't do that. There's no way, like I'll hurt myself basically, So it was like what do what do I do? But yeah, just being here and having you show me like little steps along the way and start small and work your way up, like I don't know, I can't imagine not doing it.
Speaker 1: And now I know what your finness looks like now, But what does your fitness look like for you? So someone's listening, They're like, oh, I Sarah comes in the morning. I'm not too sure about Sarah. What does your fitness look like now?
Speaker 2: Pushing myself a little bit more, I try to, I don't know, go a little bit harder. I think every time, maybe lift a little bit heavier, or do like an extra rep or here and there. Summertime looks a lot different, as you know, and then through the school year, but like even just staying for two or three classes in the summer, is my like upping the game a little bit, or you know, doing the challenges that you kind of push me into.
Speaker 1: I think this is a great idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but like things that I never would have thought to do on my own. Like if you had have asked me five years ago, Okay, you're going to be doing Ignite, You're going to be doing the DECA Challenge, I'd be like absolutely not. Yeah, yeah, here I am.
Speaker 1: I'm sharing that story for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So not a handful of years ago and five years ago, but like half a handful of years ago. We had an in house TTS competition called Ignite, and there was different tiers that you can enter, and Sarah and one of our members, Angela, they partnered and they're like, Okay, we're going to do like the top tier if we don't need any like scalabilities like modifications for lack of better words, And you went in and you guys ended up winning and it.
Speaker 2: Was so cool.
Speaker 1: But then that's really the that's where it kind of stayed. And then you focused on what your body could do in the gym. And there's some people that are really motivated by chasing a challenge or a competition. Something about you, if I can say this out loud, is you are up for a challenge and you like to challenge yourself because you like to challenge yourself and you like how it feels. And I feel like you don't need a grand event in order to push your limits and to progress because you do that every session, every week, every month in the gym. You're always like, let's try something new, Let's try this, let's try it. Now. You're very well versed with the ski yerg machine, which is maybe two months ago never even used it. Yeah right, yeah, yeah, that's why time was. Yeah, and then I had these fifteen minute goal setting meetings and Elena, this isn't a secret, I know I'm name dropping, but yeah, Elena was like, I need something to push me out of my comfort zone to make me want to challenge myself. So I'm like, oh, I don't know, Okay, let me see what's going on. And then I was like, oh, this looks pretty good. It's called the decas drunk, so there's no running in it. And I went home and I signed her and myself up as a team, because like, you should do it with Ashley, but Ashley was busy. I'm like, oh no, I'm like okay. Then I'm like, well, I don't need another thing to add to my Like I'm doing so many competitive things that I'm now injuring myself. So I'm like, oh, I'm like, well, that's just one thing. It's going to be fine because there's no running, like it's going to be okay. And then I went home and I signed this up and then like not even a week or two before, I taught like ten hours of step and that's when I injured my knee. So I'm like, oh, I'm like I can't let a lay it down. I'm like, but she's not going to go by herself, like I need someone to sub me. And then I was standing there, I'm like I'm just gonna do it. I'm like I can't. And I remember turning and I saw you. I'm like, you can do it for sure, and then I'm like, okay, this is what it is. And I remember it was even during class like Sarah always stands like in a specific spot which isn't her spot. She's very respectful of everyone's space, but she likes if there's nobody there, she stands in what else say, is her spot. And I have like a little box there and I set up all these papers with all the rules, and as she's working at I'm like, okay, this is what it is. And I'm like trying to convey but not because I would hate for anyone to feel pressured. But I'm like, I'm just giving you. Remember, I was like, I'm just giving you the information. I don't need an answer now, and you were like instantly nervous and You're like, I'm gonna do it. I'm like, okay, I'm like, are you sure, because I don't want you to regret this tomorrow. And then it ended up working out perfectly and then you did that yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was it was hard, for sure, But I don't know, like I don't feel like I would ever push myself just on my own without these little bit of you know, nudges that you give. Yeah, Like it's not overbearing, it's not like I feel like I have to do it, but it's just like that here's an idea. I think you can do it, like cheering me on kind of thing.
Speaker 1: M m yeah yeah. And that's something I love about in here is I can see you. I see, I know who you are. I know how you're motivated. I know how you're unmotivated. Like I know, like there's certain things that everybody has with it, like oh that doesn't feel good to me. So it's like, okay, how can I show you that this is something that you can do? Like I knew that deca that deca fit, I'm like, you can do those without a shadow of doubt because I see how you move, I see I know what you're like, your buttons to push right right. Yeah. I'm like, oh, this is going to be really good for you. This is easy. This is like another power burn class.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But as soon as people just like podcast recording, as soon as you're like it's a thing and you make an appointment, you're like.
Speaker 2: Oh shoot, yeah it changes it somehow.
Speaker 1: It changes Yeah. But as soon as I turned, I'm like you absolutely without a shadow of a doubt. If someone I knew was like, Okay, you're too far away from what that is, I'm gonnay Okay, keep practicing. This is how you can increase it. Pick a goal and then we can work towards that goal.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But I would never put someone in a position where they're going to feel injured, feel embarrassed, or like like they can't finish, right, So as soon as I saw it, I was like, absolutely, yes, And it's nice to have someone who believes in you more than like you believe in yourself. But it's nice to have that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a nudge sometimes it's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sometimes it's easy just to get like stagnant, right, for sure, it's easy to coast. But then we have the friends that we've made, and you've made a lot of friends in.
Speaker 2: Here, yeah, yeah, really good friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the ones who you're you're the first persons when we moved, I'm like, first, there was a few different milestones in the transformation station, and I'm like, I wonder if Sarah's going to stay. I wonder if Sarah's going to stay. And then when we pivoted and moved and adjusted, you were here. You've been here in five years.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of a lot of transitions. Yeah, roller coasters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And as soon as I saw that you were here, I'm like, oh, okay, like you're you're here, you're family now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in for the long hal for sure. I can't imagine being anywhere else, to be honest, you haven't been anywhere else? Well, yeah, I never want I haven't been anywhere else, and I don't see that changing.
Speaker 1: It's interesting when you find something that fits you, yes, then people tend to stay. That's why I always say, like I've said it before, like we're not the best gym and barrier. I don't believe in anyone ever saying we're the best, because it depends on what it is you're looking for, right, Like I could say, well, this is to me, this is the best gym ever period in the entire world, because I love it so much. Yes, but there's some people that would walk in here and they're like, you know what, I want mirrors? I want to be able to see my body. Or maybe they're like, well, I like to take pictures and I want to have other people that wear a full face and makeup the same way that I do, and vice versa.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, it depends what your priorities are, for sure. Yeah, if that's kind of what you're looking for, then maybe this isn't the place for you. But if I want to be pushed and you want to you know, feel like you belong, then definitely come here.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I shared this thing on the carousel. Oh yeah, you don't have social media, so I share this thing and it said there's a trend, so it says it's kind of chic too, and then you add in what it's kind of chic to about, like your business or whatever it is you're doing. Okay, And one of the slides that I the first slide, said it's kind of chic to find a gym where you can feel comfortable getting uncomfortable. Then one of the next slides was like, it's kind of chic not to have mirrors so you don't have to worry about everybody seeing your body from every angle.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, that would be yeah, intimidating for sure.
Speaker 1: I get so many compliments on not having mirrors in here. And when I first opened in the first location over in Cedar Point, I actually did a poll and I said, do you want mirrors or no mirrors? And everybody except one person who was a friend of mine that was a professional female bodybuilder that doesn't even live in town. She was the only person that said that she would like mirrors. Everybody else said no mirrors, no mirrors, no mirrors. So that's why we don't have them here because then as soon as in my opinion, as soon as we have mirrors, people feel like they have to perform. Yes, and people perform enough in life, like leave your performance at your work or in your car or wherever it is your you are, but in here you can.
Speaker 2: Just this is your safe space.
Speaker 1: It's a shape space. Yeah, all right, So in that context, how do you how did you find the changes with the gym moving, Because I know we talked about moving and when did you start to feel like you belonged. Was it before the move or after the move? Uh?
Speaker 2: Definitely before the move. I think the move it changed things in the fact that I felt like things just kind of blossomed a bit for you, Like not so much for myself because I was still coming and doing the same classes whether you were in the old location or here, Like location didn't matter to me. It was more I don't know, it was like it just opened a door and more people just started coming in and classes were getting bigger, and yeah, it was just I don't know, it was neat to see it grow. But as far as belong like, I've felt like I belonged from day one. You're just so I don't know, caring and inviting and you're invested in your members and you make us feel like it's okay to not know what we're doing and you're here to help us out.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's true. Yeah, I mean I would honestly from going to not doing anything in my life to being a committed member for five years and this, Like everyone that knows me knows that this is a staple in my life. And at first they were surprised, they're like what, but now they just know this is this is my life. So yah.
Speaker 1: I like when I see you, I see you as fitness is your life, like it's a part of your life and insane like finis has become a part of your life. How how has your schedule and your routine played a part in your everyday life because you're still working?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's I thrive on routine and schedules.
Speaker 1: I like.
Speaker 2: I like deadlines. I like knowing where I need to be and how much time I have to do things. So yeah, this just your classes in the morning are perfect. They work with my schedule. I get up, I like getting up early, like doing a workout, still having time to go home and have a shower and then get to work. Like it's it works for me. Not everybody is like that, but yeah, for me, it just fits.
Speaker 1: Your time slot is genuinely, like not genuinely generally always six am Monday to Friday. Yes, since day one, Yes, for the last five years. Yes, you've been committed to that six am time slot. And then in the summer you're committed to all the time slots.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you find okay? So, because I know that you're here Monday to Friday six am in that in that schedule, but you also are here most Saturdays at the eight am, So how do you find your or what's the difference I mean to Saturdays when you're here already.
Speaker 2: Because it's just it. If I don't work out, I just don't feel like me. I probably like I force myself to take Sundays off. Oh wow, And I know for myself, I need to give myself a day because I do go you know, one hundred miles an hour all the time when it comes to working out, and my body does need a bit of a rest. But yeah, if I'm not here, I don't feel like myself. Does that make sense, I don't know if it does.
Speaker 1: I know that if I don't work out, I have mood swings.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I don't know if i'd say mood swings. But I just don't feel my best. Like I've discovered that being here and working out every day just kind of sets the tone for my day. And if I don't do that, then I just don't feel I don't know if motivated to the right word, but I just don't feel you'll my.
Speaker 1: Best sounds like a spark, like it gives you extra pep in your step for the rest of the day. So that's why you're Saturday is your house usually sleeping on Saturday morning. Oh so you can still come do your thing and then go back and be like hello, and then you're like a sunshine to your family. Yes, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's nice.
Speaker 1: That's really nice. It's nice that you also know that about yourself, like, Okay, this is something you've done for five years. This is also something that contributes to yourself, and it also it. I look at it like it bleeds into all the other aspects of your life, Like it makes your family life better, it makes your career better, it makes your friendships better. But it's like you can come here for not even four percent of the day, or like ten percent in the summer. Yeah, and then that four percent changes the rest of the percentages of your hours. So like your forty five minutes that you put in here changes that twenty four hour clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's such a big thing.
Speaker 2: It's pretty amazing when you think of it that way.
Speaker 1: Who knew that moving your body for forty five minutes can change people's lives? Yeah, once a.
Speaker 2: Day, even just the I don't know, just the the welcome that you get with just being with your friends thought early in the morning, Like none of us really want to be at at five am and like doing this, but we all do it and we're all here, and I don't know, it's just such a nice way to start the day. I have so many happy faces and you know, good mornings and way to go. Let's do this, have a great day kind of thing. Right, We're all out the door by ten to seven, and like, have an awesome day. I don't know. It's just nice.
Speaker 1: It's funny to see too, when people are leaving versus when they're coming through the door, because like there's some people that you have, like you might have. Let's say there's twenty people and the room's big enough, don't worry, we're all like on top of each other unless we hit that twenty four mark. They're like, oh, maybe God turnsiris, but like there's space for your dory. It's funny to see like maybe out of twenty people, there's five people that are actually mourning people, and then some of the other ones are like, I'm here, this is fine. And then on Sunday morning, because I teach step at eight forty five on Sunday, which to me is still pretty late in the morning. Yes, because when you're used to waking up at four o'clock and then you're waiting all day like to go teach a class. So I'm already like even when I teach at six Am'm like but on Saturday Sunday, I opened the door and I was like, oh, hi, hi, and there was two people walking like they were here together. Like they're not like in a relationship or anything, but they're here together. And one was like walking further than the other one. The other one's like dragging her feet like she was happy to be here though. Yeah, And I opened the door and I was like, come on, hell. They started like screaming across the parking lot and I saw them. I'm like, oh, I gotta shut this door down. And walked in and everyone in deside it was laughing. I'm like, nope, nope, not mourning people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then like halfway through your class, like they be not even halfway through class, like the first five minutes, you look at them and they're alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's like that energy that the energy creates energy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, it's so you can feel it as soon as you walk in the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty cool and it's cool to seem to see like when people can when I so some of the coaches when I'm first training them and I tell them, I'm like, listen for the six am class, like like you need to be there at least fifteen minutes early, of course, to set up everything, make sure every thing is right. Annie is exceptionally exceptionally early all the time. But I've told people like at five point thirty, there's sometimes people are in the parking lot. Don't feel pressured. You're not late. I'm thirty in the morning. Yeah, they are here because they like to stand behind the door and have conversations. Unless it's like pouring rain or sometimes you'll see people get into each other's cars, like in the winter. Yet like they're here because they actually really like each other and they're used to the routine. So for me, it's so rewarding. Sometimes they park in the back sometimes when it's like rain or snowing, I'm like, is anyone coming in? And they're like, oh, shoot, you're here, Like I've been flashing the lights. You can't see though. Yeah, but there's sometimes I open the door, I walk in, and I hear. I hear every detail all the time, so I hear all the conversations. I'm like, it's not just about the workout most of the times, it's not. At this point, like people are talking about their own lives. And that's how I know. I'm like, Okay, I'm gonna set everything up, I'm going to put my shoes on, I'm going to let people socialize before we get busy, because and I know, like a lot of gyms that I've been to in the past, not to compare, but also to evaluate. I know when I was younger too, is people are like, oh, well, class starts at six, we open the door at ten to six or five to six. They're here for a workout. But in my opinion and what I've built here is people are here also for the social and there's sometimes when someone's new they're like, oh, I'm just going because of my goals or the doctor told me I need to move. And before and at first heading into a new space, they're like, oh, people are talking, but then like, oh they're talking to me. They noticed me, Oh hi, I'm here. Like we did the partner work out and we had a new member who's now officially a member, and we're not that close. I'm not going to name drop just yet. But the second day it was Friday, and it was a partner workout and most people are afraid. But the day before there was a couple of members talking. I'm like, I'm gonna put you with them, don't even worry about it, Like this was great, And then that morning it was we want her to be with us, and she's like, oh, I don't know what to do with her, this is your second class, and look how popular you are, Like you never have to worry about standing in the corner.
Speaker 2: No, every one is very kind and very welcoming, and yeah, they're just I don't know, it's just such a unique space.
Speaker 1: People here, I'm going to say, are normal, yes, yeah, just normal people.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I hate saying that normal because we're all special in our own way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like I feel like everyone gets everybody like we just we've all been there at one point. We've all been the new person, We've all tried something that we're not really comfortable with. We're all like I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm going to do it anyway totally. And yeah, and everyone's just here to encourage each other.
Speaker 1: And no one likes stubs anybody. No, no, oh I kicked someone out so fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't love like when people are like, oh, Christina's the boss and I don't like that word at all. And I'm like, I'm here to have a good time everybody. But yeah, I have to like control the space and dwell the stuff. But like, I have no problem putting on that boss hat because I love people. But I'm not a people pleaser, right, So I mean like, I think we all fall into that little slump sometimes once in a while. But when it comes to business, like I protect it at all costs something yeah, and I need and I need to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's where I'm like, And people have complimented like, oh, Christina, like you really take care of the people here, You take care of the space. I'm like, yeah, because I look out for the whole unit.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: But the thing I love about it is that I know you, I know everyone standing in this room. There was a new person. I never even coached her before, and I met her once in passing and I was like, oh, hi, And then there was someone else in zoom, but I looked at her. I'm like, I love your haircut, and she's like, you haven't seen me in how long have you know? I got my haircut. I'm like, well, you have bangs now and you didn't have bangs before. And I would have seen her during zoom, but where the lights are off in passing when I wasn't teaching, but I was teaching, and I'm like, I pay attention to so much detail. I'm like, when did you get your haircut? Though, and then someone else, another member that I've known for like fifteen years because I knew her even before the gym, and she's like, how do you pay so much attention?
Speaker 2: How do you know that?
Speaker 1: Actually I just got my haircut on Thursday, Christia, It's like.
Speaker 2: You do you do notice the details, which is very nice, very nice. Yeah, and then your members appreciate that because you feel you feel seen.
Speaker 1: I've heard that yeah, yeah, and I I'm nosy too, like if someone's wearing like when you have a new pair of shoes, I turned like, you're wearing a new pair of shoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But then I followed up with those questions like how does it feel like did you notice that your other shoes? And you said, like, my stability was starting to feel a little bit off because I've worn those shoes so much. Yeah, here every day, so you're gonna go through not close clothes too, You're gonna go through shoes a little bit quicker than the average show because you are using them more often. Yes, but it's neat to see because then there's it's not just coming here for a workout, because like, how how does your body feel when you're doing the workout. Sometimes it's the shoes, so when I can see someone has a different pair of shoes, and also I recognize that she now has banks, right, so you're gonna sweat your banks might bother you. We have some bobby pins under the counter that I keep a whole bunch of sash in the bathroom for people. So it's also paying attention to that, like, are you gonna get annoyed halfway through class because your hair is sweated on your neck now or as before it wasn't right?
Speaker 2: So I guess like the little details that you notice and you think about yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: Like some people like I can also respect like I. I'm also a believer where I'm like, Okay, don't put too much thought into it because it's going to stress you out. But let me put the thought into it for you, because I'm going to make sure that all you got to do is show up right, Like this is going to be good. So what has changed for you over the last few years that has nothing to do with weight or appearance?
Speaker 2: I think for myself, it's letting go of the idea that everything needs to come before me.
Speaker 1: WHOA does that make sense? No?
Speaker 2: I don't know. If I'm making sense, making like letting go of the fact that I need to do everything for everybody else first, and then if there's time, then I can do something for myself and making me a priority. That's gold. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I were to take everything out of this podcast and say we only have sixty seconds, I would clip that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's such a common thing, like yes, putting every everybody else and everything else and then before Sarah, but you schedule your workouts, yes, and then you stick to your commitment.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and it works for me like I like my time is first thing in the morning and then I can deal with everything else. But yeah, that's changed the most. I never would have done that before, and I maybe part of it is because the boys are at a different stage in life and they don't need me as much. But I don't know. Things may have been easier. I may have not been as stressed if I had have done this, you know, fifteen years ago, right, because you would have already because I would have changed that outlook or had that you know, momentum for the day going. But you know, they can't live in the past, just keep going forward.
Speaker 1: But that's interesting because someone who's listening to that right now might be like, oh, I feel like I never come first. Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has to be a commitment for yourself for sure. You have to like make it happen, because if you say, well, I'm going to do this, this and this, and then if there's time, I'll do that, there's never going to be time, because there's always going to be something else that you feel like you need to do.
Speaker 1: I like that you said that too. Like the how I interpreted some of that as well is you are not willing to hurt your own feelings because you ten minutes ago said like you like how you feel from the gym, and if you don't have your workout then it feels like your whole day is off. Yeah. I love that you are. You've flipped the script that you're like, I'm not going to sacrifice my own feelings and my own wellbeing for somebody else. Yes, because it's so easy too in saying that, Like it's always just say, oh, you know what, I'm just going to unreserve this. I'm a burden in my workout is too much for you. I'm just going to take care of my spouse. I'm going to take care of our home. I'm going to it's too you know what, just forget it and the people mad. But then over time, I feel like people it starts to eat away at people and they start to lose themselves.
Speaker 2: You do one hundred percent and you feel like, I don't know, there's that stigma of your being selfish if you, you know, think about yourself before someone else, and it's like the complete opposite, like you need to look after yourself so that you can be the best for everyone.
Speaker 1: Else and for yourself and for everybody else.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, And I think sometimes that's the gap that needs to be bridged. You can be what appears to be selfish because it's going to improve your life and it's going to bleed into every other aspect of your life. You showing up. And it's interesting because there's some people that are like, oh well, I'm going to see what happens. This weekend was Boots and Hearts. My whole Instagram. Everybody that I know under the sun was doing like Boots and Hearts and quite a few members as well. And I'm not going to throw shade on this out because everyone has what their priorities are there's sometimes maybe it's for a special event and it's a weekend or whatever, then by all means, but there's sometimes I hear when people are the most upset with themselves is they prioritize their weekend and they stay up drinking or partying or doing whatever it is they need to do, or going out with like he she everywhere, whatever whatever it is, and they're like, well, let's just see how tired I am on Monday or Tuesday to see if I'm going to come in for a workout, right, Which is okay if that's their priority, But if you're telling me that you're sore, you're not sleeping well, you're not eating well, you're starting to feel anxious or depressed. Movement. Movement to me is medicine in a certain way, like medicine exists for certain things for a reason. So I'm not talking about that in depth, right, but right if you need to sleep better and you want to feel better about yourself, you want to gain your strength, your mobility, then maybe just try prioritizing your workouts on a Monday. So when people ask me stuff, and I'm used to coaching, I wake up at four am, even the last few days I've coached in the evening, I've still been I've still been here early, but I'm like, I'm still at four o'clock, five o'clock. I'm like, oh man, But like I prioritize being here because this is my number one priority is myself, my workouts and coaching my classes and being here for the business. So when someone's like, oh, there's I really was interested. But then I'm afraid of the dark. I'm afraid of water. So someone was like, let's do a night light night moonlit kayaking event. It starts at nine pm, Like I'm on my first dream. At least by nine pm, like there's no way. Sometimes by like ten pm depends on how rebellious I am going to sleep, and I'm like, nope, I'm not going to do that because I have to wake up and do my workout or do whatever I need to do. A few years ago, I had Cane Brown tickets and I got Premium seeds. I was excited about Canine Brown, and I looked at Chris. It was like, I think the day before or the day of when we would have to leave, I think is what it was. And I looked him like listen, Like, the show doesn't start till seven thirty eight pm. He's not going to be on the stage until nine. It's in Toronto. I'm like, I really, really, really at this time, I wasn't coaching in the morning, but I'm like, I really want to make it to my workout in the morning. And I know that if I don't get home till one two o'clock, I'm going to be wrecked. Yeah, and that's even not drinking. So I'm like, it's not just being up late, it's just going to be up late. So I had like maybe eight hundred dollars of these Cane Brown tickets, maybe more, and I posted on my social media and thankfully there's a lot of viewers on my stories and stuff. I'm like, hey, it's really concert tonight. You can have these tickets free. Like it's not worth the time or the money for me to go sacrifice my own goals. And I gave the tickets away. But there's some people that would say, I'm going to go hit up this concert even though it takes them three days to recover, right, So it's it's what I've what I'm learning from you as well, is that you have really prioritized your well being. Yes, yeah, and that to me, I know, like some people say that sounds selfish, that to me sounds normal.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think it needs to be more normalized, if that makes sense, Like, yeah, for for some of us it is, but yeah, it in the greater scheme. I think more women especially need to focus on themselves and not feel the guilt.
Speaker 1: And not feel the guilt not just from themselves but other opinions too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard that before, like, oh, you're working out now at this time, at dinner time, how does your husband feel about it? A what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you'd be surprised, like a lot of women would say something that or would feel that. But then if you have that conversation, probably ninety percent it be like, yeah, go ahead do this, but you just feel like you can't.
Speaker 1: And some people too, are like, well, my husband's making dinner, so when I get home, I have my extra protein.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got a man that supports you. High five.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or sometimes they're like, well, I make dinner first, and I make sure everything's ready, and then they can eat without me, because I know I want to do this and I know that there's going to be food for me when I go home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's always ways to make it work. It's just making it work rather than saying i'll get there later.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, And then like, actually, my friend Dincy who was here last night and her parents are visiting from India. I didn't really I thought it was a thirteen hour flight. It's a twenty hour flight. And I was speaking with them and they are very mobile, so I was like, oh, okay, cool, and I wanted to know about them, like what did you do before? And like, and I said, for myself, I prioritize movement because now that I'm thirty nine, what I do now at forty is what I'm going to reap the benefits of when I'm forty five, fifty, fifty five, sixty. So it's laying down that foundation. I didn't have that foundation. My foundation was like inverted versus most people. By the time I was fifteen years old, I was bedridden because of mobility and my weight and I couldn't move, whereas most fifteen year olds are like, whooh, this is a party. I'm on a skateboard, I'm riding a bike. I never wrote a poop, was like you just learned how to ride a bike at thirty eight years old. I was like, yeah, man, you think I couldn't even walk, never mind ride a bike, right, So like that's where the perspective is a little bit different. Yeah that I knew that fitness saved my life even now, but if I don't keep practicing that, and that's why I'll never go back. I don't care what shape or size I am in my body, but I need to be mobile and I need to be healthy because I have experienced the like that version, and I'm like, ah, yeah, if I was that at fifteen years old, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen years old, am I going to be like that when I'm seventy eighty years old? I hope that my life is like what's that that show where it's like that that little boy and he's like a man and he ages in reverse, he ages but he gets younger. There's a show, there's a movie, and if anyone knows what this show is, please let me know because it's gonna be bothering me. You might chatch to it later. I don't know. And it was like a guy's name, But I know that when I'm eighty years old. I want to be like bouncing off the walls. I want to still hopefully be teaching step at eighty years old. So I think that that has something to do with it as well.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. Yeah, and wanting to be yeah, active and involved and you know, as the boys get older and they meet significant others and maybe even have grandchildren, like I want to be involved and going and doing, and I don't want to be not able.
Speaker 1: To yes, right, yeah. Ruth and Jackie are going to be coming on the podcast soon and we talked when I was The reason why I asked them is we were actually having a conversation at the time front door. The front door carries a lot of cons.
Speaker 2: It's a great vault for the conversation.
Speaker 1: And she was talking about like keeping up with her grandkids and her She said to her her grandson, how old do you think Nana is? Five? Yeah, but she's going. I saw pictures of her because I also her daughter in law were friends on Instagram as well, and I can see some of the videos and pictures. I literally I'm gonna try talking about it, like I saw Ruth, who is considered a senior, which is weird.
Speaker 2: To say out there.
Speaker 1: But again there's no shame in being a senior either. So I saw videos of her like playing and running down his slide and like being really fun with her grandson, and I was literally crying because I'm like, hey, I wish I had that. And also like this is all those years of being mobile and working on your fitness and putting yourself as your workouts, and her life is busy. She has stories, man, Like she's always like exhausting.
Speaker 2: Just look, it's the best way, it's past way, in the best way. But yeah, like if she wasn't here putting in the works, she wouldn't be able to do what she does exactly.
Speaker 1: And now as you're saying that, it's cool to see the different chapters, right, So now that you're in that chapter, hopefully like my fingers across.
Speaker 2: Not too soon, No, not too soon, not ready for that yet.
Speaker 1: So if your sons are listening, yeah, not yet yet, soon ish lay that foundation. Yeah that's funny. So has there been seasons where fitness wasn't as consistent?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think right from the beginning, I kind of just jumped in with both feet and have been coming every day. Why I don't really know. I don't know the answer to that. Were definitely times when it was harder, Like, you know, I find September is always harder. I'm definitely more exhausted going back to work, like trying to you know, get back into that work routine. It's hard. I find the holidays are always hard because everyone's just exhausted, right, like you're hosting and shopping and you know, again worrying about everybody else.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely. I find there's times when I feel it harder. But I've never not consistently come to the gym. I don't know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't that doesn't all the one the one time when Jeremy, oh can I say his name on here? Okay, oh my god, I forever recorded. Yeah, the one time Jeremy surprised you, well, yeah, elfbird, was that ALBERTI? Yes, yeah, this is weird. Sarah's not here.
Speaker 2: But that was only like five days though. Funny, it's such.
Speaker 1: Like a consistent state of like you know who you see every day, like you know what I every day, and like I think that was the only and that to me, isn't lack of consistency that was reaping the benefits of what you do every single day, right to go and live your life on the outside of the gym. But I think that was the longest period of time that we didn't see you in the gym, and it was for five days because you went on an anniversary celebration with your husband.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. Yeah, no, really, like that's really the only time. The other when my mom passed, I took but I don't even think I took a full week because that specifically coming here and working out was what helped me deal with all of the emotions that went along with that, right it was. Yeah, It's just I didn't realize I guess how much it affects you, and how much being in the gym and working out and just being with positive people make I don't know, everything just so much better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it helps people get about other things. And I know people will say, like, I hate counting in an am rap, but we're counting for a reason. Yeah, Because if you don't like counting and you're not counting, I don't even care if you're counting accurately, as long as you're focused on something, focused on messing up your counting or focus on Oh I forgot to start counting and then you laugh and you're like, I'm just gonna go until you go. Were you counting?
Speaker 2: I know, Well, my last Friday when we had the four of us working out like it was I don't think we stopped laughing the entire workout, like it was just I don't know, but we were all working and we were all sweaty.
Speaker 1: I remember you and Paige were like, I think you guys are done, and Elna and actually were like they started going vice versa or something. I'm like, oh, you guys really like that exercise for sure. It's like were you counting? Recounting? I don't even know that, Like you's gonna be here for ten minutes doing the exact same thing, but we were just doing Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I like that that has that distraction, yes, because if people are are like, oh, it's a minute worth of work. I see people's eyes and I see how people respond to things like they're working hard and they're doing it, but a lot of the times they're focus. It shifts where then people will stop to breathe and they'll check their phones. I'm like, hey, what are you doing over there? Like ye is an emergency. No, Like I would never say that out loud because we're all adults and do what you need to do. But when we're counting, there's less people picking up their phones. Not that I'd say ninety nine percent of people don't bring their phones on the gym floor unless they have like someone's at home for the first time because they just like turn thirteen or fourteen. They're trying to use a blender like something like that. So I can respect that completely because I'm happy you're here and you got to your workout. But there's sometimes like you don't need to check Instagram while you're on the gym floor. So thankfully that doesn't really happen. But with the counting, people don't have to worry about their feelings. They only have to get mad about Now I have to count, Christina, Okay, you be mad at me that you have to count to ten. If that is I'm telling you, I can see beyond counting to ten, because it's to change your whole life. Yeah, so like it's it's different. So after five years, I know we're going back to the five year thing. What keeps you coming back? Like how like why are you still here. It's Page.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not. Paige.
Speaker 1: Page is a great piece of that puzzle.
Speaker 2: You too, because each of us remembers seeing each other for the first time and we were both like, oh and now we're like really good friends. But yeah, it's I don't know what keeps me coming back. I think the feeling that I get, like I just feel motivated. Yeah, I feel like when I, like I said, when I take a day off and I'm not here and I'm not working out, I just don't feel like myself. I like the feeling that I get when I come and do a workout every day.
Speaker 1: So if you you grabbed onto that spark and you ran with it, yes, Yeah, I've seen so many people come in and as you know, like Caroline is still here, and Jackie and Ruth and like there's some people that have been members from even before the move, and there's everybody else in between. So like, I see people that go hard, and I see them every day for five days and they last like three months, and then their life dramatically changes. And then they dramatically change and they throw in the towel. And it's not that they go to another gym, they just they quit and everything else in between that. I've seen people come in and they go hardcore for like a week, and then I don't see them for three more weeks, and they come back and they're like, no, I'm going to go hardcore again, and they haven't quite found. What I'm going to say is what the reason why? Like why are you still? There? Has to be something so life changing why someone keeps showing up and puts everything else aside to keep showing up. And I feel like the secret sauce is finding that for yourself. So would you say you're I hate using the word secret sauce, but secret sauce and secret recipe for you? Would you say that that is the feeling or is it a vision or is it a fear?
Speaker 2: I think it's all three. I think it's all three. I think I like how I feel. I I like thinking that in five more years, I'm going to be active and I can do things I'm not going to be, you know, struggling to get up and down flights of stairs or you know, winded chasing a grandchild at the park. And I think the fear of you know, getting older and aging and if I don't start looking after myself, then these things could happen. Yeah. I think it's a combination of the three.
Speaker 1: Huh, I could see it. Yeah, yeah, it's like what happens if you do this? What happens if you don't?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always like when I do like one to one coaching, something that I bring up quite often is the rocking chair challenge. So it's like, close your eyes, think of yourself in a rocking chair, You're seventy five, eighty years old, Where are you at? What does your life look like? And is it if you continue doing what you're doing right now, how is that going to feel when you're eighty years old if you continue, What does it look like if you don't, What does it look like? What does your life look like at eighty years old as well? And what are the steps that you can do right now in this moment to get you there. So it's all like, think of yourself at your goal. What does it look like in five years from now, ten years from now, twenty years from now. Is it going to be having a small waist in a big booty that's going to last for the rest of your life? Well for me, I hope, so it would be nice. That would be nice. But I'd best believe that I can walk up and down from stairs. Yeah, I can tie my shoes properly. Yeah, I can like not have to sleep all day because I have no energy. So I think all those things can be true. At the same time, there's some people that like they don't care about appearance at all, and there's some people that only care about appearance, right, and then everything else.
Speaker 2: In between, right, I think, Yeah, I think a big scope for sure, Like you know, appearance would be great, Like everyone probably wants to look a certain way, like you know, but for me, it's yeah, more the feeling and like the longevity of it all, Like I want to be able to do these things in ten years, like you know, I'm pushing fifty. I want to be able to you know, be like yeah I can do this, you know, and even just having the boys like motivate me, right, like yeah, mom, you can.
Speaker 3: I would never be able to do what you do. It's cool for inspiring Yeah yeah, now you're inspiring your kids. Yeah, family, Yeah, that's badass. That is spuch the trophy for kids to be proud of their mom and to be like, yes, mom, like you did do that. You can do that and be proud.
Speaker 1: I also appreciate that you are and I don't know you as a mom, like I know you as a mom, and I know your emotions behind it and your feelings and some of the growing pains that you've gone through. And when I say growing pains, that's not a negative thing. I mean like kids growing up and having.
Speaker 2: To buy books.
Speaker 1: I talked about that pretty recently, like there's books that cost five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Did you know that I.
Speaker 1: Was thinking of you when I made that episode. I'm like, books are expensive. Not to throw salts in that wound, but I know that you're when we talked about it. You are happy for that because that's your kid's future. So that was really cool. I see a lot of different family I want to say trends, but not trends when people join the gym so I can tell someone for the most part, it's like you know how people say, like show me who your friends are, and I'll show you who you are. I have noticed that in my opinion, so I don't offend anybody. I've seen that transpire in the gym. So I know that your family is exceptional and you've done everything that you can in your power for that with your husband and your kids, Like you're a family unit. And I can see that, is it the word transpire onto the gym floor. I know that you're a person of excellence and your family because of how you show up and how you show up to what it is that you're doing. So there's two other people that come to mind in that context, and you'll be like, oh, yes, I can see it. Is Christine, So Christine, you see that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Her family is very similar to yours. She has boys as well, and they are hockey players. They're very athletic, and her and her husband are a fantastic unit. And like I can see that drive and that excellence transpire onto the gym floor. She shows up, she works hard, she's trying to step a little bit out of her shell. And it's not a secret because like she's actually more of a quiet person and people are very intimidated by her.
Speaker 2: Yes, because she's a bad ass. Yes she is.
Speaker 1: She so bad ass, but when you get to know her, like she's such a kind person. Someone else, I'll bring up one more example of this is Ashley. Yes, yeah, like you can tell and her husband's been here. I loved him so lot. Remember it made that AI picture of him and I sent him this is your formal invite. He opens it. That's me. But like you can tell that how she is in the gym and on the gym floor, that she is a person of excellence not just in her own personal life, but in her family as well. So she's someone who's like, yes, my kids are exceptional.
Speaker 3: Kid.
Speaker 1: She has one kid, like, my kid is an exceptional kid. But also I the same way that I asked him to show up to practice, she's showing up to practice. That's her class, right, And the same way that you were like, okay, my boys did all these things and all these appointments. You know without a shadow of a doubt that you're here at a certain time. I remember the other day when you showed up. It was like you weren't late, but you were just as class was starting. And I was like, what, You're usually one of the first people here. Yeah, And I was like what You're like, I think did your alarm not go off or something?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So it was Liam was having a low. Sorry, so my son's Type one diabetic, so he was having a low night his alarm was going off. I in the midst of looking at it on my phone must have shut off my five am alarm to get up. Anyway, it was. It was a bit of a commotion, but I made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't let that slow me down.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't. I would have been like, oh, man, now look at what I've done. Right, and you barreled through that door and you were not even like a look at time late and you were here.
Speaker 2: Well that was thanks to Paige. I texted her in a mad rush set up my stuff. She helped me out.
Speaker 1: That is so kind. Because I looked at Page, I'm like, where is Sarah, Like she's running late. I was like, something happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah that makes sense. Yeah, it's the first time for everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you still got here more than on time. Yes, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just realized after I said, I'm like, something happened. I think it was something. There was something. Yeah, that's what it was. So looking back, what is something you would say to a person who says they're not a gym person.
Speaker 2: You don't know, you're not try it. I would have said I'm not a gym person. Well, I tell you I wasn't a gym person, yeah, until I was a and now I am.
Speaker 1: In your wardrobe even has started to change a little bit.
Speaker 2: I have a hard time wearing things that aren't gym clothes. That's my biggest thing now that's yeah.
Speaker 1: And like when you first started, you always were black yes, and dark colors yes, yeah, And now you're starting to venture out a little bit. It's cool to see how your confidence has changed, not just in your movement, but even with like how you present yourself and how like you talk with people. Like I always I've always seen you as a confident person. And maybe that's just me because I always assume that people know what they are and who they are in some of those contexts. So I've always seen you as someone who is confident, although when you first joined you were quieter. Yes, But now it's cool to see how your confidence has changed, like with yourself in the space with the people around you, because like you're wearing bright blue pants yes, yeah, yeah, and like you've been wearing like fitted tanks yeah, and that I'm like you're like revitalized, regenerated yeah.
Speaker 2: And yeah, like I think I said to you not that long ago, like I never would have even thought of trying anything like this ten years ago, or even even when I was a teenager. I never would have. I don't know. I just didn't feel comfortable. And I think the more that I'm coming here and I think age two, the older that I'm getting, I'm like, you know what, who cares? Do I feel good in it? Yes?
Speaker 1: So that's all that matters. Yeah, I said to you, like I was talking to Dinzey's parents yesterday. I'm like, most most of our members, our umbrella is kindness. Yes, but I also recognize that most of our members are over the age of forty, and a lot of them have similar outlooks. Doesn't matter how old you are, really, but most of the people who are over the age of forty, they come in and You're like, we just love it here because we don't have to press anybody religiously. We don't care. Yeah, like we're we don't care if we look like it. And one of the common things that I've heard lately is if I'm doing something wrong, please tell me. I'm like, oh, you know, to tell you, and I'm not going to make you feel bad.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: However, I know that certain personalities and also above a certain age, people are like, I'm not gonna feel embarrassed if you tell me to check my elbows into a bicep.
Speaker 2: Girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that goes a long way. So off branded question. What were you like growing up? We're gonna wrap it up soon. I got two more questions. That's the second last question. What what was Sarah like growing up?
Speaker 2: Very quiet, very shy.
Speaker 1: What did you like to do? Were you a book person?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a book person. I was a figure skater.
Speaker 4: What yeah, I know, I had no idea when you think, you know, yeah, I kind of like it was in the shadows.
Speaker 2: I think like I kind of I didn't have any one specific person, but there were groups and I kind of just floated around, oh the shadows. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Were you outgoing or were you you're quiet, very quiet, very shy. Did you like to study.
Speaker 2: Well, No, one likes to study.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I guess yes.
Speaker 2: No, I was very like motivated and yeah, I wanted to do well for sure.
Speaker 1: Did you play sports besides figure skating? No, figure skating is so badass.
Speaker 2: Figure skating. Yeah, but then once I got to high school, I kind of quit that. I always yeah, I always felt like I wasn't an athletic person.
Speaker 1: Oh is that what you have?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: At that, and I mean you just I don't know, you get to high school and you're growing up a small town, like it's just you know, there wasn't It's not like it is now where there were lots of options for kids to do.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I grew up in a very small town where Minden.
Speaker 1: Linden.
Speaker 2: Okay, so really the only thing that we could do when I was growing up was hockey or figure skating, right, Okay, that was that? Was it? Like maybe you could probably play baseball, was a choir or theater?
Speaker 1: No? Would you have done those anyways? I didn't think so no, no.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there wasn't a lot of options like you could do like school sports and stuff. But I was too shy and I thought that I wasn't an athletic person, so I just would never try it.
Speaker 3: Were you at home a lot or did you go out a lot? I wouldn't say I went out a lot, like.
Speaker 1: You know, some people are like, oh, they're always by the road plane like kids like Minden. So I recognized that Minden is more of like a right now anyway, is more like there's a lot of cottages and people go, y, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's cottage country for sure. So like in the summertime, I was swimming like constantly, Like we lived on a lake and so we were fishing and swimming and water skiing and like all of that.
Speaker 1: So that was I think.
Speaker 2: It's why I love summer so much. Okay, yeah, winter, you know, we'd go sledding and whatever. Okah, no'm I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to sto stuff like that. Yeah, I just yeah, I just wasn't adventurous.
Speaker 1: And you met your husband in high school? Yes, yeah, I knew that. Okay, oh cool, Yes, who's that high First.
Speaker 2: Your friends, So we were each dating each other's friend at the time. That's how we met. So he was dating one of my friends and I was dating one of his friends.
Speaker 3: And then okay, still all friends now. No, No, we don't keep in touch.
Speaker 2: Oh once in a while if we would see them, we would say hi, but we don't keep in touch. Yeah, And then I don't really know how we came about. We just did.
Speaker 1: That's pretty neat. Yeah, fast forward, like a whole lifetime and more to go. Yeah, like kids, and twenty seven years later, twenty seven years.
Speaker 2: I was just celebrated about twenty seventh.
Speaker 1: Three universary was your anniversary July thirty?
Speaker 2: First?
Speaker 1: It was recent. Okay, okay, wow, that's a long time. Next year will be twenty eight. You're almost at thirty now, I know, a long time. That's awesome. So if you could look back at your old self, I'm just like, I'm curious because I'm like, I know you right now in this chapter, but I'm like, what were you like? Like, That's why I'm asking those questions, like just to complete somewhat of I'm.
Speaker 2: A completely different person now than I was then, Like polar opposite, I think.
Speaker 1: So looking back, if you could talk to small Sarah two different versions of Sarah. Yeah, small Sarah growing up, what would you say? And Sarah five years ago, before you own the gym, before you own the gym, before you started at the gym. Yeah, do you want to own the gym?
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding. No, I don't want to own it. I just like showing up every day. That's fair. I think small Sarah I would say try stuff like I don't know. You just had that conversation with Desica this morning about you know how kids are just so adventurous and they they don't think. They just oh that looks like fun. I'm going to try it, and they do. I wish I don't know why I felt like I couldn't, but I wish I had been a little bit more adventurous. I think being so shy that really helped me back a lot. Yeah. And five years ago, Sarah, Yeah, I wish I would have started sooner, right because I wouldn't. I didn't know how much I was going to love it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And I'm really glad that I listened to the person that told me to just come and try it. I know.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's so crazy. Yeah, that's so wild. Someone someone let let out all of the branch. Yeah, and you took the ali branch. Yeah yeah yeah. Now five years later yeah, yeah, because Sarah actually came in through uh, someone who worked at the gym, yeah, way back when. Yeah, and that was your alive branch. Yeah, that's such as like just.
Speaker 2: You don't know, you don't like it, just try And I think I remember saying to her, I'm not a gym person. Just it's not me, it's not who I am. She's like, well, you don't know that just just come try it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She gets ten points for that. Yeah, and so I did, and she was right, Oh, that's so awesome. And now here we.
Speaker 2: Are and now here we are. Yeah, and this is.
Speaker 1: Also something you can put a punch in the fitness experience belt being on.
Speaker 2: The podcast at wow, I know that's so great.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thanks for joining. This has been so good. Yeah, would you do it again? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was very nervous to begin with.
Speaker 1: But how do you feel that.
Speaker 2: I feel like we've just been talking like friends. It's been good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, Thank you so much for tuning into the Transformation Station podcast. Here for another episode. If this resonated with you, feel free to like, share a comment, share it with a friend. When you see Sarah around the gym, be sure to give her a high five. Sarah's in the house, and I'm so happy that you're here with us. Until next time.