Speaker 1: What is fear? And I don't mean by definition, but actually at the root of it, What is fear? What makes us afraid of something? Is it really just a clown or spiders? Does how high we are off the ground really account for how scared we are? I think fear is much more than that. I think it's the unknown. We are fearful and afraid of the things we can't explain. In the case of Jason Landry, the unknown is everything, and I think that is what makes this case so scary.
Speaker 2: Warning.
Speaker 1: The following podcast contains graphic content and material intended for a mature audience. Listener discretion is advised. Hey, what's up.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole and you're listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Wow what I was just gonna give you mad props. That was an amazing intro. I feel like that might be our best one yet.
Speaker 1: And then then I fucked it up with a coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a slurp in your straw.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I've got like a leader of ice coffee here. I'm going to be wired all night.
Speaker 2: And you're living your best life over there, right. I don't actually drink coffee for anyone that doesn't know that. But I will drink ice coffee occasionally, occasionally, occasionally occasionally, Yeah, because it's half milk, right.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, when you do ice coffee, there's.
Speaker 2: Not quite as intensive.
Speaker 1: It's like half of the coffee. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's so many different things you can add to it. This one I've I basically it's got milk with a little bit of like Irish cream flavor in it, and then like two pumps of vanilla and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you think Myers Starbucks are extra, that's extra.
Speaker 1: What do you mean? It's a leader of fucking iced coffee. Of course it's extra. And it's eight thirty pm, of course it's I know.
Speaker 2: And you wonder why some names you sleep like shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough. How's it going, guys? Hopefully you're having a good day. Hopefully things are awesome on your end. We're having good good times over here, clearly, clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always learn our best life.
Speaker 1: One hundred and ten person.
Speaker 2: Not always can't be always.
Speaker 1: Well, we try to.
Speaker 2: We try to put it that way.
Speaker 1: Oh, we didn't figure out where we were on the Patreon list because we got.
Speaker 2: Patriots to think.
Speaker 1: I texted, Yeah, you texted you got to tell me where are we here?
Speaker 2: I'm on top of that shit.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I got to open it up here to make sure you get all the names, make sure we get everything and everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a few which was epic and awesome, and you guys are amazing. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: You gotta keep talking because I gotta find this.
Speaker 2: How can you not find it that quickly? You just have to find your wife and your text message and boom, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we also had wifs do you have Okay? We had someone who messaged us to clarify how to say their last name, and I wanted to ensure I got it right.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's actually very good.
Speaker 1: That is what took me a little extra time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and I just made you have to divulge that information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way to go. So you're ready for this?
Speaker 2: I'm ready, You're sure? Okay, feeling a bit warm, but yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe if you took off your seven layers of clothing in the middle of summer.
Speaker 2: And I'm drinking tea, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You're insane. I'm in a T shirt and I'm sweating. It's ridiculous. Anyways, our patrons We have some amazing patrons who signed up over on Patreon, and this week we had Angelica, Rice Kenzie j quint She was the one who told me how to say her name nice and I probably butchered it anyways, better not. I was just reading it, so I really hope I did. Amanda's got, Sherry and Cassie, they all signed up Patreon. Thank you, Thank you so much for your support. It means the world. Honestly, if you're just listening here with us, you're just joining us all the time, that too means the world. So thank you for being here. You two are absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of ways to support us and there's many options and you all are doing amazing. Thank you. We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That aside, we were on another.
Speaker 2: Podcast, on a podcast. It was so cool.
Speaker 1: Actually it was actually our first time being interviewed by another podcast.
Speaker 2: By another podcast. Yeah, we've been on like our local news and interviewed there and stuff, but we've not been on another podcast like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so shout out to tell me about it. Podcast over Todd and Charlie, where do they have Is it just they've got it on because they're through anchor not anchor, Yes, anchor, I believe. So they've got it on Spotify I think Apple Podcasts. Yeah. Yeah, our episode's not up yet, but we'll let.
Speaker 2: You know what it is. They were from They're from tech, so it was quite interesting to chat with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was a good time. They're super kind people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so yeah, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and actually today's episode is a request specifically from them. M hm. So to you guys over there over on, tell me about it. We're going to do Jason Landry.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Well they must have some serious pull. Hey they make a request and boom, you're doing it.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, and no I was I was like, hey, they've did a little request, sure, why not? Why not?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just kidding, but honestly, why not, because yeah, they're going to have us on their podcast and they're incredibly kind, so.
Speaker 1: Let's do it up exactly.
Speaker 2: And I hadn't even heard of this case. I don't believe so so it's a good one.
Speaker 1: I don't believe so so, I don't.
Speaker 2: Believe so so so so so Okay.
Speaker 1: Then, well I thought I had heard of this case, but I think I was getting it mixed up with another one, because I have not heard of this one. I mean, it seems like it's a relatively unknown one in the true crime world at least. However, Jason's story has gone over many news sources. Okay, so this is not a very old case, and we're about to talk all about it. Okay, you ready for this?
Speaker 2: You're all about it? I want to yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, let me just get my notes up here. I'm gonna get them a little bit bigger it.
Speaker 2: Was in Texas, right, Yes, Okay, I got to.
Speaker 1: Zoom in here because I'm getting a little old.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, because we've already chatted about this on here. You need glasses and you refuse to get glasses.
Speaker 1: It's not that I refuse to get glasses, it's I procrastinate and don't ever make the appointment.
Speaker 2: I'd be so curious, Actually, you go to the eye doctor and see what you would need?
Speaker 1: Me too.
Speaker 2: I also feel like you go there and they'd be like, you're fine.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because I don't know. You just always have had like a good bill of health and like surprisingly oh good.
Speaker 1: What is that supposed to mean? Surprisingly good?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's just always. I mean, we've done hell test A four for like insurance and stuff, and you're always like past with like flying colors, like the healthiest of health.
Speaker 1: Well, isn't that a good thing?
Speaker 2: And I am, but like the night before, you just ate like a big mac.
Speaker 1: So it's just like, wow, thank you for the vouch of confidence.
Speaker 2: I'm very I'm very happy about that. But I can also see you going there and being like you actually your eyesight's perfect.
Speaker 1: I feel attacked right now, so I'm going to ignore that whole thing and move on. You're ready for this case?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay? Am I going to get attacked anymore?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: All right, Well we'll find out what happens, I guess. In the meantime, we're talking about Jason Landry. So Jason was just kind of your average guy, outgoing, nice and of course, like me, had a sweet tooth. You know, you just said I eat junk food and stuff. Well, Jason's got this right, that's fair. He loved cupcakes for sample, but his favorite sweet was those little red gummies called Swedish fish.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, those are actually really good.
Speaker 1: They are really good, Like in his defense, they are delicious. Yeah, one hundred and ten percent. So it was December, and this is when Jason's story starts. Jason was on winter break and he was heading home to see his family. He was driving from his apartment in San Marcos toward his parents neighborhood in Sienna. Plan I can't say this now, I swear I started planation. There we go, planation right on Sienna, Planation, there we go.
Speaker 2: That's a hard one.
Speaker 1: It is we We actually do look up these things and how to say it. People are just sometimes we get messages like you need to learn how to say things. We just don't edit these things out. We keep it very real with us. Yeah, so you hear the bloopers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Other people just hide that shit and we're like, this is us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, So Google map shows that it is about one hundred and seventy seven miles apart, and it would take about three hours to complete the drive from place to place. Okay, Like many people around the holidays, Jason was eager to get home to see his family.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, that's fair.
Speaker 1: So Jason was a twenty one year old and he was a college student and he moved out to this university, Texas State University, nice, and it was only a few months before he was there studying music. He was the youngest son of Kent Laundry and his wife Lee the laundry fair enough. Yeah, Okay, so when he moved out, you know, he's over in this new town, his parents are over there in his old hometown sort of situation. That's kind of where we're sitting.
Speaker 2: That's sad. I feel like, well, it's probably more sad for the parents.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean more so for the parents as for Jason. He's probably just kind of off on a new adventure sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Right, many it's probably a bit terrifying. I can imagine too.
Speaker 1: Potentially many young kids and students and such go off on you know, tours to go to another university or campus or college or something, or even just moving to a new town or something for a new perspective. It's something a lot of people do. Not very uncommon.
Speaker 2: Actually, something I'm still trying to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, like I said, this was in December, and like many people around the holidays, Jason was wanted to get back home to his family. Right the thoughts of the holiday celebration would have potentially been in his head. And I'm sure, he would have also been ensuring that he had items he needed for you know, the holidays as well, along with his packing and his gear you know, from his clothes to potentially gifts. But you know, time would have been the factor for Jason, right. Who wants to let their vacation begin or who wants to let their vacation begin tomorrow? Which would you prefer start now?
Speaker 2: Right? Oh? Of course?
Speaker 1: Why put off seeing your family later when you can see them sooner. So, with these ideas, you know, dancing in his mind, Jason thought he wasn't going to wait till tomorrow morning before making the drive. He was going to drive.
Speaker 2: Now that's actually kind of adorable.
Speaker 1: So at around ten fifty five pm, Jason had his silver Nissan Ultima loaded up. He closed the trunk and sat in the driver's seat, and he put the car in gear and headed off for the drive. It was the evening of December thirteenth in twenty twenty. There was cold and crisp kind of night that your breath is easily seen in front of your face as you exhale. With windshiels and temperatures, the estimate was that it would reach approximately twenty four degrees that night, or equal of minus four degrees celsius. And remind you this is in Texas, right, so those temperatures are quite frigid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really cold for us, that's.
Speaker 1: Still t shirt and shorts weather. But for some Yeah. Anyways, Jason drove towards his parents' house, but along the route something happened, something that would prevent Jason from ever making it home for the holidays.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jason's wrecked car was discovered by a volunteer firefighter at approximately twelve thirty one on December fourteenth, on the twentieth three hundred block of Salt Flat Road and Lulling, the town of Lolling.
Speaker 2: I should say till like twelve thirty one, like that night or the next morning early yeah, oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was only about two and a half hours home.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: His car was in the ditch against a farm fence. The engine was still running, and his headlights were still on. Holy shit, but there was no sign of Jason anywhere.
Speaker 2: That's super odd. Well, yeah, really odd. The fact that it's like running and shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that that shows something right there, something's wrong. Well, what do you think that's a sign of.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I don't know. I've never even like, I mean, okay, if I was driving along and I came across a vehicle that was running and no one was around, yes, I have no idea what I would think, but like that something was not right that I don't know, this person like got like kidnapped or abducted or something.
Speaker 1: In my mind, that shows a sign of haste. You know, someone leave the car quickly, right for whatever reason they're.
Speaker 2: So like kidnapped for potentially that is a potential reason.
Speaker 1: Yes, so leaving the car.
Speaker 2: Quickly not really on their free wale really.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, could have been might not have been. Yeah, we have no idea yet as to why, but we do know that car was still on. Lights are still on in the ditch. There was quite a bit of damage to the vehicle.
Speaker 2: Oh, like it had been in a car accident.
Speaker 1: Then, yes, it was in a car wreck.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, sorry, I guess I didn't gather that point. Okay, Okay, So then I actually feel like I might not be as concerned, just silly, but because maybe they got kind of hurt or whatever, and then someone had been like escorting them to a hospital. It's sort of my thought.
Speaker 1: Whatever the reason, there's a million in one reasons, but it shows leaving the vehicle quickly in my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry I missed that part. I thought that it was just parked there for some reason.
Speaker 1: No, well, I didn't say it was in a wreck specifically, but I did say it was in a ditch against a farm fence. Okay, But anyways, the police were of course quickly to call to the scene, and investigation was right to follow and began underway. So as we know, the immediate hours after a missing person's case are brought to attention, these hours are the most.
Speaker 2: Crucial, precious hours.
Speaker 1: Yes, so first and foremost, a big thank you to authorities for being so quick to action in this case, because they were in fact very quick to action. And now, aside from his car obviously being in the accident and still running, there are a few things that were found at the scene. There were clear skid marks on the dirt road leading to Jason's car, which showed a sudden use of brakes and a loss of control, and law enforcement officials believed that the car of the car crash was quote survivable.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good. To know.
Speaker 1: One of the first things that was looked at was paint transfer from another car. When two vehicles collide an accident, usually there's a paint transfer of some kind from one vehicle to another, where paint, you know, is scraped off and it ends up being rubbed onto the next vehicle. But there is nothing of the sort found indicating that this was a solo accident.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, while this was being looked for and kind of process, and they're trying to find those paint transfers, pictures of other evidence was already being taken. Just nine hundred feet away on the road. Jason's backpack was found with his possessions and a small amount of marijuana inside, and so was a pile of Jason's clothing, not folded clothing, but removed from one's body, clothing Jason had stripped, so it seemed down to the nude and runoff in the cold December night, leaving behind all his possessions, including his wallet, phone, oh keys.
Speaker 2: That is odd. That's very odd.
Speaker 1: Well, the whole situation is odd.
Speaker 2: Well, that just keeps getting it. Is that a word od?
Speaker 1: It's an animal, It's an odd.
Speaker 2: It keeps getting more and more odd.
Speaker 1: How about extremely confusing? How's that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there we go, that would make no sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well why would he do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Not only why would he do that? But what caused the accident? And you know, of course, where is Jason? That's the big question here, first and foremost, where is he? Second of all, what happened? So it didn't take long before investigators contacted Jason's family, and that's when they made an odd discovery. They went, they weren't expecting Jason. Jason's family wasn't expecting him home as far as they knew, he was still in his apartment in San Marco's and had no clue of him taking the road that night or any time soon.
Speaker 2: Oh like, they didn't think he was coming the next day even correct.
Speaker 1: Now, I do want to clarify. Majority of articles I found did say this. However, there were some insinuating the parents did expect him home that night, so I couldn't find a clear answer, but majority state that he wasn't expected home that night.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, so there is a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of a stipulation there in that that note. But if this is the case, if his parents weren't expecting him home that night. Where was Jason going? You know, was he actually going home? And if they weren't expecting him, maybe he was going home for the holidays for a surprise to the family, or was there somewhere else that he was going. Was there another destination. His last known location via cell phone digital footprint, luckily enough, was in the town of Lulling, Texas, at approximately eleven twenty six pm on December thirteenth of twenty twenty. Along with this, investigators were able to track much of Jason's last moves. The timeline goes a little bit something like this. Jason's drive begins with the use of a navigation app called ways w a Ze. He is new to the area and he's only driven home twice before since since his move, so.
Speaker 2: Says like I was almost wondering if that was odd.
Speaker 1: No, that's not odd. He's only driven this route twice before. So now along the route the app pings a geolocation painting a picture of exactly you know, where he's been, which is great. This is how the authorities are getting this information. At eleven h five pm, according to Caldwell count Iff County Sheriff's Investigation, Jason is driving on the highway on Highway Texas eighty and passes under Interstate thirty five in San Marcos. He continued to head south on Texas eighty Highway into Caldwell County and is in meryton Dale around eleven eleven pm, so at eleven fifteen he continues on the Texas eighty pack passes Texas one point thirty and goes through several small towns, including being Fentris, Prairie Lee, and Stairtown. Eleven twenty four, About half an hour into his drive, Jason enters lulling on the Texas eighty Highway. As he continues on his way through the intersection at Hackberry Street, where Texas eighty becomes Austin Street, he stops using his navigation app Weighs and instead begins to use Snapchat. Thankfully, they were able to continue to get his location and time within the Snapchat app as well.
Speaker 2: Oh Wow.
Speaker 1: He continues onto Austin Street to Magnolia Avenue, where his digital footprint ends. Authorities believe that instead of turning right onto Magnolia as his route would have suggested, he drives straight through the intersection onto East Austin Street to Spruce Street, which turns into Salt Flat Road, the location where his car was discovered. Now it is believed that the car crashed around eleven thirty four PM and his car was discovered at twelve thirty one, pretty much only an hour after the incident. So following the discovery of Jason's car, the area surrounding was of course immediately searched. In fact, a total of seven major professional searches occurred, spanning over over fifty square miles of the surrounding area, and nothing produced a single sign of Jason or his whereabouts.
Speaker 2: So it's literally like you just disappeared into thin air.
Speaker 1: It's literally like you just vanished. Hm.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's good that they are doing so much here. That is like they're on it, on it. Sometimes, especially in like missing persons cases, it doesn't necessarily seem like that or like more time has to pass before they really like you know, get really diving deep.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Which is why I wanted to say, you know, a good shout out to the investigators on this case, because they were they were on it. They didn't waste any time hmm. So that's really nice to see that they you know, did what they needed to do and jumped into action. Now, there was also a private investigative team that was also hired by Jason's parents, and they had apparently uncovered circumstantial evidence that Jason was not alone at the time of his disappearance.
Speaker 2: Like someone was in that vehicle with them.
Speaker 1: That's what this suggests, holy shit, or not necessarily in the vehicle, but at least at the scene.
Speaker 2: That's a loose one of the two, because like my mind almost just goes to, like, I'm sure, but I'm sure they've gotten like they probably called all the hospitals and like just made sure that he wasn't there because what I'm he lost his memory in this accident or something, right, and was at some sort of hospital. Yeah, that's kind of where my brain went, Like, that's where what I feel like would potentially have happened.
Speaker 1: That's true, that is that is a case, or that is something that could become the case. My argument against that is that this was actually quite the publicized case. It was on like Fox News and like it was quite widely covered, So any hospital in the surrounding area if it wasn't checked, I'm pretty sure they would have been able to figure out Okay, we have this guy who doesn't know his identity, but yet there's this case blaring on TV of this guy missing. Yeah, oh that's him on TV, like you.
Speaker 2: Know, well, and then they closing the road and his belongings in the road don't really make sense for that either.
Speaker 1: Exactly Now, this circumstantial evidence. I looked and I couldn't find what this evidence is. Now, I assume it's currently not public knowledge. I don't think it's out there for anyone to just dig up. Okay, but regardless, they strongly believe that a geofence warrant would enable them to locate a suspect as well as additional witnesses. Now, a geofence warrant or a reverse location warrant, basically, it's just a search war issued by a court to allow law enforcement to search a database to find all active mobile devices within a particular GEO fenced area. Okay, So essentially they would be able to access the nearest cell phone tower and see whose cell phones were active in the area where Jason went missing at that time, giving them a list of potential suspects.
Speaker 2: Right, it's just wild what they like the access to information that they have nowadays saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm pretty sure that like nothing about our lives is private anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like that's it's like terrifying in a sense, but it's also it opens a lot of potential pieces and stuff. But then for investigators too, that's very hard, right, Like, yeah, this amount of more information that they have to potentially solve cases, it is probably overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there would be so much to sift through it'd be absolutely insane. Yeah, but clearly all this information isn't readily accessible even to law enforcement. So however, I'm pretty sure that Google has access to it, because if I say something like new bicycle, I'm probably gonna get ads for that for the next week. Now you know.
Speaker 2: Which you really want?
Speaker 1: Yeah, full suspension, Santa Cruz, carbon fiber body. Oh my gosh, there we go. Anyways, do your work Google, you know what to do. I lost my spot? Now where am i?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So anyways, this is basically very similar to how the police use the Rogue map to find Jason's locations right through ways and Snapchat, but essentially it's much more effective. Anyways, that particide though, the problem is that the Caldwell County Sheriff's office and the Caldwell County District's Attorney Office, for one reason or another, have not agreed to make the warrant application.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: I just want to highlight the application. It's not that they've been denied the warrant. You can't apply, no, they yeah, they don't want to apply because these are private investigators, right, So private investigators are bringing this forward to authorities, and authority are saying we're not going to try for that warrant. Why well, I mean, this is my point of view here, and I want to say again, I do not have the circumstantial evidence that the private investigators are referring to. That being said, assuming that's another important word here, assuming the evidence is taken seriously by the authorities, it must not hold much weight to it. Okay, most circumstantial evidence, I mean doesn't usually hold much weight, and it usually takes a lot of circumstantial evidence to really get anywhere, because that's exactly it. It's circumstantial, right, So either way, it must be very strong evidence, and they aren't considering drawing the warrant regarding that. Okay, However, I want to say, big old However, here you would think with the odd circumstances like this, you'd want all the information you could get.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So why wouldn't they at least try for the warrant?
Speaker 2: I mean imagine it would get you so not so many names though, And.
Speaker 1: Well even if you look into the last I don't know hour, Yeah, because it was an hour before his car was discovered, So how many people could be within a mile radius of that car in the last.
Speaker 2: Hour, well, depending how busy that highway and stuff is. But also it was very late at night, that's true, right, Yeah, probably not that many.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't imagine there'd be very many around there. So the knowledge of warrant could provide though, regarding the cell phones that were active in the immediate area of Jason's disappearance, could highlight could substantially help identify potential suspects and witnesses, if, of course, there was anyone there at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even if they're not finding this other potential person that was with them, maybe some one saw something and they exactly need to recall it, right exactly.
Speaker 1: It may not necessarily be a suspect. It could be just a whitman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never thought about that. So that makes sense. Why not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone could have seen Jason hit a deer and then him run off who knows what, right, Yeah, the geofencing information aside, though, there was some more information that came in which could point towards what happened and potentially where Jason was going. See, before Jason left, he was on a FaceTime call with one of his friends. Apparently he was going to go hang out with them. Now the friend had actually screen recorded the call. Why he did this because, quote, man, Jason's so high right now, he's not going to remember what he's saying. Shit, So this friend hit record thinking the whole conversation was funny and wanted to show it to Jason later.
Speaker 2: Oh no, meanwhile he knows that his friend's like driving.
Speaker 1: Well about two yikes. Yeah. So one unfortunate thing is though, the video does not have any audio, so the conversation is up to the recollection of Jason's friend who actually did the screen recording, but there is video at least now. In the video, Jason is seen rolling the exact joints that officials say state troopers would recover from his backpack hours later, and in fact, there has actually been bodycam footage released and it shows the moment that these were recovered from his backpack. Okay, now, Jason's friend did their best to recollect the conversation that they had during the video call, and he said, they're talking about spiritual awakening and enlightenment and opening his third eye and drug consumption. According to Jeff Ferry of the Calwells County Sheriff's Office, So that quote that I just read was from Jeff Ferry recollecting the conversation with the friend who was screen record. Yeah, does that make sense? Yes, So it's a third party quote, but I guess.
Speaker 2: It don't totally mean what the quote means.
Speaker 1: But they're talking about spiritual awakening and enlightenment and opening his third eye and drug consumption.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow yeah hmm.
Speaker 1: So using drugs, hallucinogenics whatever it is, for enlightenment and opening a third eye spiritual awakening.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, that's a very interesting conversation to have with someone before you go missing, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Like very isn't it?
Speaker 2: I would be very concerned if like that was you, for example.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is wild. That is wild conversations to have first and foremost before driving yeah. And second of all, yeah, right before you go missing.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah, that's very alarming.
Speaker 1: Now, these conversations and topics would also align with Jason's recent his story search on the Internet, leading apparents.
Speaker 2: Those freaking Internet searches. It can't even clear them, really, you can't. Well you can't not to authorities exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can dig down. If someone really wants to know what's been on your computer, they can find it. Even if you hit that delete history.
Speaker 2: I'm sure some people know how to permanently delete it though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by breaking your computer.
Speaker 2: Well, there has to be some other way, you think, I don't know.
Speaker 1: His Google search would also include things such as this quote how long can you live in the woods without food? And or how long can you go in the wilderness? End quote, along with parent topics surrounding spiritual awakening, drugs and psychedelics.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, and I was also waiting to see you had something to do with like a cult of sorts. But this is interesting. But they did a lot of searching in those woods, so you think that they would have found him, You would think, huh, those are okay.
Speaker 1: I'm watching the Gears turn I know this.
Speaker 2: Is just unbelievable. This is I'm really going down a rabbit hole in my brain right now. This is not really what I expected.
Speaker 1: Well, where is your brain going? What sort of rabbit hole are you currently diving down?
Speaker 2: Well, at first it was like, gosh, is he joining like some sort of cults like that He's never gonna be found or come out of this right or is it going to be like years that he does or is he just on his own and wanting to be doing some sort of spiritual awakening on his own?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But then.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, I had to like stop it. I distracted Nicole. Our dog was like super dreaming and stuff, and she was starting to like make a lot of noise. I don't know if you guys could hear it anyway.
Speaker 2: So I was hell undistracted. But anyway, just to go off go on that again. I feel like he would have been found if he was on his own doing this in the wilderness mostly searches, is my thoughts. So that's why I'm like, is he somewhere else that's like some sort of cult thing or like, because if he did this on his own, I just think that they would have found him.
Speaker 1: I mean most likely, but it's clearly we don't know for sure because they did, okay, fifty square mile search. What if he just so happened to be walking at a pace that took him at fifty five miles away? I guess who knows? Right, that's what happened.
Speaker 2: Long time though, and like a long ways and he's not dressed for this, and he's not like did he have a shoes on it? And stuff? Right? Like would he have made it that far in these conditions?
Speaker 1: That's that's a big question. So where am I now? Oh right? Even more interesting though, is in the video with the FaceTime call and Jason and his friend, Jason is actually sweating heavily with large wet spots in his shirt underneath the arms in his armpits. Now, this is a sign, police say, may very well indicate a reason for Jason stripping down to nothing, even in the cold December temperatures. If he was under the influence and he was driving, it's reasonable to think that a solo accident could occur. It's also reasonable to think that he may act upon some of his Google search terms, and finally, reasonable to think that he could have just stripped down. He could have been overheating for one reason or another, depending on his consumption of what he had in his system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he could have just been so under the influence, like you do weird shit, right. But then I also again, I'm like that they probably would have found him.
Speaker 1: That is the big part here. There should be a sign of Jason somewhere. Yeah, but there's not. That is the problem.
Speaker 2: Why unless while he was doing this his episode, someone just like picked him up.
Speaker 1: Or maybe he was a stow away somewhere. Maybe he jumped on board a truck or something.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, yeah, who knows. I mean, there's probably a million ideas you could come up with.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right, the list goes on. So police believe it's actually reasonable to think that nothing suspicious has taken place and others may not actually be involved. They believe he was on his way to see a friend in his hometown and ended up in an accident and due to his inebriation, basically just ran off. Now Officer Ferry, the one that I was referring to earlier, believes this, and he actually believes that he's succumbed to the freezing temperatures and was devoured by wild hogs.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: He believes his body was actually consumed by the animals in the area and that's why he hasn't been.
Speaker 2: Found bones and all.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, pigs are definitely known to be chewing and eating bones like all of it.
Speaker 2: We don't have wild hogs here, so I don't really know what that looks like.
Speaker 1: Actually, apparently there are some in BC.
Speaker 2: I've never seen him, but I'd probably be more afraid of that than seeing a bear.
Speaker 1: They are vicious, Like, what the hell is that. I can't confirm if there is or not. I've just heard stories. So now, of course this is this is not confirmed, and it's not the only theory out there.
Speaker 2: I imagine there's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but before we move on to the next few theories that we do have, I just do kind of want to unpack this whole wild hogs thing a little bit more. I'm going to say I call bullshit on wild hogs devouring Jason. Okay, I'm going to just assume that he's correct that Jason ran off to come to the freezing temperatures, and let's say for this conversation he unfortunately did pass away and is lying somewhere in the bush Okay, let's say that wild hogs did find him and did start consuming him. You're telling me that how quickly they started searching seven professional searches over fifty square miles didn't come up with a single bone.
Speaker 2: Okay, So like in that time, there's no way that the whole remains would be gone.
Speaker 1: Correct in your in your onion, I one percent do not think that the entire body would be gone right, No way, especially considering how long it would take for a entire human body to be consumed. Okay, let's say the pigs are going to go to town and eat this entire body, every speck of it. Okay, They're not going to have the time to do that.
Speaker 2: I do kind of hate this theory.
Speaker 1: I do too, and that's kind of why I'm wanting.
Speaker 2: To get very disturbing.
Speaker 1: They're not going to have the time to do this because say you have a whole pack consuming an entire human. They're concerned about other wildlife in the area and another and food out there is going to attract coyotes and attract wolves. These things aren't sticking around long enough to be gluttonous. They're going to eat their fill and get on their way. There is no way they're devouring bones in the wild in do.
Speaker 2: They bury their food? No, no, no. I do also have to say, this is so awful for the parents. Oh, Like I can't even imagine, because it's no closure whatsoever, they probably feel like he's still alive somewhere and like hoping that he just comes home randomly at some point. Yeah, like, gosh, that's the worst.
Speaker 1: And this whole conversation of the wild hogs would one hundred percent be so bad for family members to listen to. But that's why I wanted to debunk it, because I don't think this was the case. I don't think he went through something that horrific.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, how many wild hogs are they running around? I have questions about this generally.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can find packs of a lot of wild hogs. Feel it's not typical to be more than like a dozen.
Speaker 2: I feel like it'd be very quick for them to devour a human body, in my opinion, but not necessarily the bones.
Speaker 1: That shit has to be a while, would be remains, there would be anyways, Off the wild hogs. Let's get on to some of the other theories that was I hated that part of the conversation, but I did want to throw that out there because I do think it's important. So anyways, while most of Officer Fairry sorry, while most such as Officer Fairy, say it's impossible for Jason to have come into contact with anyone else during his car drive car ride, I mean up until that moment. There's no time before that anyone could have joined him. Maybe after the crash, sure, But this theory brings up the moment that Jason neglected to make the right hand turn in the town of Lulling at that intersection where he failed to turn right and proceed to the I ten Now, a former FBI agent based in San Antonio by the name of I'm gonna probably say this is wrong. I'm going to try Able Penna and his team of private investigators who are working on his case for free of charge. He had this to say, quote, perhaps he was not driving that car that night, and someone else may have been driving that car. We strongly believe that something happened at that intersection that caused him to go down that road that night.
Speaker 2: Okay, So saying that he was with.
Speaker 1: Someone potentially, yeah, that's what they're saying.
Speaker 2: And there took that turn intentionally.
Speaker 1: Yes, So the theory that Officer Farry says, there's no way there was anyone else in the vehicle. He can't prove that up until after the crash, because now we have a vehicle on the side of the road. Who knows how many people could be involved, right, Yeah, but up until that Officer Ferry says no one else involved. However, this former FBI agent and a private investigator says otherwise. He thinks at that intersection, at that moment, someone else could have joined in or been a part of it somehow. Now, something interesting that I actually dug up on Reddit. A Reddit user by the name of responsibility number eight seven nine eight wrote this, how about he was never in the car when it crashed. When he switched off the app and went to snap is when someone else had his phone and the car. His last snap was his last Someone had his car and crashed it and tossed his belongings. Go look where his last blueprint of his snap was and look there.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: I think they bring up a really good point. Do we know that he was actually at that car when it crashed?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because I even kind of thought about at one point, like, why would he have just stopped using Google Maps, like all of a sudden just or knock, sorry, we got why. I use Google Maps for my navigation, But like how at that point when he switched to snap or whatever to check, why wouldn't he be going back in his map app to know where he's going? Like at that point, he just all of a sudden knows where he's going. And I thought that in my head, but I never said.
Speaker 1: Anything, especially if he did make a wrong turn. Yeah, area he's not familiar with. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, that does so. I actually really like what this Reddit user is kind of talking about. Whether this specifically is fact or fiction, I don't know, but the idea of, you know what, maybe he wasn't even in the car, maybe he left prior to maybe it was at his last snap location, or maybe it was even before that. Whoever else was driving could have been using the snapchat app.
Speaker 2: And this friend that he was talking to on his phone. There was never any evidence or anything in there that he was with anyone though.
Speaker 1: Correct correct now. In May of twenty twenty one, Jason's family announced that they were offering a ten thousand dollars reward for anyone who had any information on what happened to Jason. So I do want to put out there if you have any information regarding the disappearance of Jason Landry, you can actually contact them and you can even call anonymously at the number seven to six seven seven seven one three five nine. I really do hope Jason has found and I am really adamant that there is no way I believe that wild hogs devoured him. I think that is an absurd theory.
Speaker 2: In my mind, it's a theory just to be able to close the case. Potentially it is right.
Speaker 1: And one thing in my mind is, Okay, if you want to look at, say your adamant wild hogs were responsible for his disappearance, I'll say, look at Robert Picton's case. He had to grind up his victims. There was still remains left over years later. Yeah, I'm gonna say that.
Speaker 2: Thanks for bringing that up, just saying, just saying Robert and that was.
Speaker 1: Pigs that he fed his victims.
Speaker 2: Too, So I'm among some of the other things.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's a very simply, very simplified version. Yeah, but yeah, so that is the case of Jason Landry. He is unfortunately to this day missing, But.
Speaker 2: There still seems like there's a lot of people working on this case.
Speaker 1: Hey, it is still a very fresh case. It is an open case. I honestly, I'm not sold that Jason isn't. I think he might still be alive. The likelihood of it, I mean, yeah, is a slimmer clearly. However, I think Jason's still out there. I really do.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean it's not even been two years.
Speaker 1: I guess, right, like, yeah, it hasn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, in the searches and stuff, that's it's wild. But then it's also if that was the case with all those searches and stuff, like why didn't and why was this gear left behind?
Speaker 1: You know, well, if you look at it this way, he was looking on how to survive out in the wilderness and spiritual awakening and stuff. Maybe he actually had the skills to go out and survive. Maybe that's exactly what he did. I'm not saying that's what happened. I'm not saying that's likely, but it is a possibility.
Speaker 2: It is. But at this point, I feel like you would have come back.
Speaker 1: Who knows, I don't know. There is a chance that he might just knock on his parents' front door one day, which would be incredible.
Speaker 2: Which would be amazing, Like what a mystery this is, and just the agony that his parents are and I just like hate that. But I don't know. I sort of feel like he would have gotten okay, I like not like, but it makes sense to me that he crashed and was like, oh shit, like I'm gonna get in trouble. Like he's young or whatever, right, and he's very intoxic. I don't know, under the influence of something, right, yeap, so I could. But then while he's like trying to figure this out or something in his state, I feel like someone might have picked him up. It's possible, and then depending who picked him up, it's very much so in question of if he's still alive. So I don't know. I don't know that this So thanks a lot for this, because now my brain, I feel like, is just going a mile minute and I just want to figure it out.
Speaker 1: You and a lot of people in this world want to figure it out.
Speaker 2: I bet you there is well I don't even know what they'd have much to go on, but a lot of like internet sleuths is that what they're.
Speaker 1: Called yeah, webs. If I'm being honest, there's actually very little out there about this case for research purposes. There's a lot of small articles, and most of them regurgitate the same information or at least similar information, So you got to dig pretty deep to find some of the different information. Like for me, finding that he liked Swedish fish was actually a bit of a dig. Yeah. Actually I found that out because they were raising awareness. They went and his family had a booth that I can't remember what it was. It was some sort of like kind of a farmer's market type thing whatever, and they were selling Swedish fish at this market with you know, his wanted poster and stuff or sorry, not wanted poster, missing poster. And then yeah, they're raising awareness and kind of raising funds to help search for them, and they were selling Swedish fish. It's hard to say that's a ton twister Swedish fish because it's one of his favorite treats.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Huh. Yeah, well, yeah, I can't say one way or the other exactly how I feel like to process is a bit more, but it would sure be nice if he was still alive. But you really much so feel like he is.
Speaker 1: Eh, I'm not. I'm not sold that he is, but I'm I'm hanging on to that he is. I think there's a good chance. I don't think it's the biggest chance, but I do still think it's a good chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I mean as time goes on, that probably goes down a little bit, right, So.
Speaker 1: In this case, I think it's a bit different. I think it's different because it's maybe he wandered off on his own intentionally to just go survive somewhere. Most people don't wander off on their own with that intention. Most people go missing on accident. He might have went missing on purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I just feel like then he would have brought all his things, some of his things, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Hard to say, yeah, wow, regardless, that is a case of Jason Landry. We'd love to hear what you guys think. If you have some thoughts, shoot us an email, Instagram, Facebook, let us know. This is going to be a case where I'm sure we get a lot of different opinions and we are curious to hear them, So hit us up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and hopefully there's some updates at some point.
Speaker 1: Yep, we got all our good links down below. We got our website, all the social media as we got patron if you want to join us there. We just appreciate you guys being here regardless though, so thank you so much, and of course, until next episode, stay Wicked