Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfer.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield's joining.
Speaker 3: In the high tech Texan.
Speaker 4: Michael Garfield is here with a high tech Texan.
Speaker 3: Its to make life easier technology, and Michael Garfild has something you might want.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets, heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio added. Now you're high tech Texan, Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: You know I could start my show by talking about some important issues like the Israel Hamases fire, the inauguration of the new president, the fires that continue to devastate the LA area. You know I could also, you know, I probably even should kick things off with this technology related news about the potential TikTok shut down this weekend, or maybe following up on all the CEES products that I'm still playing in reviewing. But nope, because just as I turn on this microphone to blast my long running talk show across the huge state of Texas and most all over the world on the iHeartRadio network and podcast, I open my recent bill from Comcast, you know, the company that provides my internet and cable to keep me entertained and informed. Pretty much every hour of my life. It allows the connection to broadcast this show to you. Well guess what, yep, they just raised their prices again. And all I can today is Comcast is very lucky that I have to abide by FCC rules and I can't go scorched earth on them by using cuss words, not now at least, But I'll dance around that and I'll just tell everyone if you have yet to cut the cord. Now the word in New Year, people, it is finally timed to tell your cable and internet company to kiss your grits. I've already paid too much and I don't even sometimes I don't even look at my belt and I get my bill on email and I'm sitting down and I'm clicking, Okay, what's my automatic pay going to be?
Speaker 5: This?
Speaker 1: It went up twenty five bones. I am now paying over three hundred dollars a month for internet access and not even one upgraded HBO ish type of thing. Yeah, I'm ticked. And this is I am the techno for twenty four years now. I am the guy who promotes, who tells you about everything technological, the king of tech in Texas, if not around the world. I used to endorse in folk long time listeners who live in Houston, specifically, Well, and I'll sell with other parts of Texas too. Do you remember when Houston's main cable company used to be Time Warner, And we're gonna go back twenty four to twenty five years. It was Time Warner and Time Warner. They were the first ones to introduce high speed internet and it was called Roadrunner. People. That's how I got my big start. I was the spokesperson for Roadrunner. I was on their TV commercials. I was on their billboards. I was on their radio spots here, Austin, San Antonio, the Valley, wherever there is. Time Warner loved it. Man Again, we went from dial up, and I remember I was doing the TV commercials that actually made me use that accent. I couldn't say just dial up. It's like dial up dial up to fast speed. Well, years and years ago, Time Warners sold and they swapped their territories. Comcast comes in to Houston. I'm like, whatever, okay, and then I'm paying my bill one hundred and forty, one hundred and fifty then it was two hundred. It's just this is just stupid. There's no reason I'm paying three hundred dollars. I'm just out of here. And you know what, I don't know anybody at Comcast. This is not serving me. I am. I do this show as a public service to you. I give you listen, I tell you great products, great services to help you. But I am not shine when it says, man, you better change. I don't talk about Apple a lot because I think there are better, better products than Apple, and cheaper products and Apple. I don't talk about Sony a lot. I think Sony has great cameras and great products, but there's cheaper things. There are cheaper things out there. Comcast is not a sponsor, never have been a sponsor, and even if they were, I would be questioning them too. Just three hundred bones for this. Come on, people, time to wake up, and this is a good time. At the beginning of a year. It's twenty twenty five. Wake up. This is the time where people set goals. You want to lose weight. And by the way, my gym has been very crowded for the past week and a half, so I'm gonna give it about another week and a half and then all you other people will stop coming. This is the time to look at your bills. This is the time to look at all your streaming services and saying what am I doing? I am paying more for all of these services combined that I used to be paying for one cable bundle. Maybe it's time to renegotiate your least your mortgage to move to check your insurance. My insurance. Listen, my insurance rates were just raised. I know this LA fire is not helping anybody's insurance rates. Luckily, I have a really good insurance company who shops around. They send me an email by a week ago, Hey Michael, you know your rates are being raised for your car, your auto, your home. It's time to look at and they came back. They came back and helped me. That shout out capacity and insurance company who was in Houston. And by the way, they work all around Texas. And again that's not an endorsement. These guys have long been great. They're out there working for me. Is there an I'm serious? Maybe the high tech text and me my brand should start an insurance shopping company type of service for cable rates or cell phone plans. Cost your getting out of hands. Listen, I am not old guy on your lawn. Ironically, I turn older in about two and a half weeks at a milestone milestone. I got a milestone birthday. I'm not talking about it right now, but I'm just hear for you. I am a consumer awareness guy. That's what I talk about. Listen, I got another hour and forty five minutes wherever you are. I'm going to talk about the products that I'm continuing to test the Consumer Electronics Show. I'm going to talk about the TikTok band. What do you do? By the way, if you think talk is gonna go bye bye in the next probably twenty four hours or whenever you're listening to this, I'm gonna tell you how to quickly save all your videos so you don't lose them. I'm gonna talk to you about Listen, it's super Bowl season coming up. This is the time to buy new TVs. I got stuff, I got questions, I got answers. If you want to hit me people rant, feel free to rant on your expensive bills right now. Here's the number three four six twenty nine Texan T e X A N. That's how you'll get to me. For some reason, we do not pick up. Feel free to leave a voicemail, and we will have the rights to play your voice on this radio show. And I want you to rant. It's get it out because I'm I really am a nice, generous, good information bearing gentleman, an eagle scout. True, but sometimes if people, if companies rile my skin. Yeah, I have the right to do it. I have the platform to do it two plus decades. I have this microphone, this thing. Hear that all you can hear I'm tapping microphone. I can help you, not the freaking court. And by the way, big companies like Comcast, they monitor, they monitor the airwaves. Are they mentioned on social media? Are they mentioned on TV? They mentioned on radio? I hope they're listening right now. I don't know body. So here's what I'll do. Comcast, Comcast, Comcast, Comcast Exfinity, Exfinity, Exfinity Exfinity. Okay, So for all you monitoring services, Comcasts and Exfinity, I hope you're listening to this. I would love to have somebody on my show so we could have one to one talk of why the freak you keep raising prices? Okay, because you're going out of business. People. If it was up to me, man, you ain't. I wouldn't invest in that stock because it's just you stop riping off consumers, and it's rip it off because my service over the past week and a half for some reason has been spotty. Had to reset my Wi Fi router and everything. And I am the guy who's supposed to recommend good services. I ain't recommending you who All right, man? If I if I smoke, I would take a drag off a heater right now. Nope, I'm just gonna take a swig of iced t and come back. When we come back. Let's talk about post CES. I was four plus days a considered electronics show. If you watch Great Day Uston on TV last week, it was me. I brought six or seven or eight products that I've been playing with. I'll tell you some of the fun stuff that need, stuff that you may need, you may not need, and you may probably can't afford because you're paying too high on Comcast Bell coming up here on the High Tech Texted show. Hey guys, what a great weekend.
Speaker 6: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: All right, is anybody called down?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: My blood still boiling people, which is good, baby, I listen. This is a two hour show. I talk fast and when my blood is boiling and I'm caffeinated, up, baby, I'm gonna shove three hours of content into a two hour radio show. That's how we do it here on the High Tech ex And Michael is the name. For those listening in Dallas and who go back to my high school or pre high school days, you probably know me as Mike Garfield. Let's let's switch it up.
Speaker 7: Just you know.
Speaker 1: Michael is fine. I've matured well. I have to have my last rant in the first segment, and I may not be that mature, but it's Michael Garf for those who we are very tight with phone number here on this illustrious radio show, Consumer Lifestyle three four six two nine T e x A N three four six twenty nine text and big Hello and happy weekend to Dallas Fort Worth on the Mighty Mighty eleven ninety San Antonio. What is up there? In Central Texas News Radio twelve one hundred wo AI and the flagship Houston Texas KPRC nine fifty AM nine to fifty, all part of the iHeartRadio Network. Been doing this now twenty four years and think they things things aren't getting easier. People without a doubt I do. Thank you also for following me on the social media, which, by the way, none of that social stuff was around twenty four years ago when I started it. Trying to kill it right now like my kids on Instagram. High tech texit Hi g h T e h T e x a N. Last week I started this is why you need to follow me doing some video showing some stuff I got from CEES last week the Consumer Electronics Show, some fun videos, stuff behind the scenes when I was on Great Day Houston just this past week, showing off the showcasing some things. I even gave some things away. I think we gave away a pair of headsets, really cool gaming head sets. I'll probably do more this week. You gotta follow, You gotta follow Hi g h T e c h T e x a N follow unless on the CEES twenty twenty five. I have to say this, after going for twenty three years to CES. This year, I think the products and the things that I saw on the show floor, I think it was more and I'm gonna use this term there, it was more shoppable than conceptual. Now follow me over here because a lot of the times at CES you're gonna see companies roll out some crazy stuff that is great for media, great for soundbites, great for little TV b roll. Oh, here's a robot that's actually cleaning your windows when you live in a high rise. Oh, here's a you know, here's a drone that you could sit into and you could fly to work. Like the Jetsaids. I mean had tons and tons and tons of stuff. They're concepts people there for people in the ILK like me in the media, who who they want headlines from. So I can mention Bosh and Sony and Samsung and and TCL and everything, But odds are they're not going to be on sale. But this year it seems I was walking up and down the halls of the Las Vegas Convention Center and I'm thinking, you know what, a lot of the stuff seems to be already on the market on sale. I mean, I got prices on this and whatever. And I think it's good. It's more real that way, and I think it's good for companies who are making good on promises of the past years. Oh, it's coming out eventually, I think eventually. It's such I love over the past years. Hey, this is neat Is it my first? When I interview, and I talk to people and companies with products. One of if not, My first question is is this on the market now? And I just don't like when they say no, but it's coming. No, but eventually nobody's coming in the third quarter. Blah blah blah. I like talking in the now. You want something now, because we live in and now society. If I see something I want. If you're if you're hungry and you're rolling up and down North Central Expressway and now I don't know if you're rolling around uh, you know Loop six ten and Houston and you're hungry, and you see you want a burger, you want a taco? Oh, this is this new Feida coming out, the roll up Fida coming out. No, we're advertising it, but it's not gonna come out to the end of the year. Ain't gonna do me good? People. I want something in ow That's my analogy. And I saw a lot of I did see some neat stuff at cees. Is it available now for the most part year of year. I'm seeing this year it's out and about and I like that thinking. Yes, we saw some concepts too. When it comes to automobiles, you know, I saw some concept cars like for the past couple years, Sony and Honda got together to create Sony Honda Mobility. Oh, we're coming out with a great, great car. It's coming. This is like, this is like three two years ago at least, it was called the Afila A F E E L A one, the Afila one. Well, guess what I actually saw on the show floor. I saw the Afila one and it's available right now to pre order, nearly five years after Sony announced that its intent to enter the EV market. I saw. But it's the vision S concept car. They unveiled it a few years ago, came up with a name just a year or two ago, and now I saw it, and now the reservations are opening up, and now they're allegedly delivering it. You know, maybe next year. It'saw a lot of TVs one hundred and fifteen inch TV. A lot of the stuff's on sale right now. These four k led things that roll up and they have suction cups to stick. They're out there right now, even the smaller things. You know, some of these ear some of these robots, there are actually robots. There's tons of robots in terms of vacuuming and mopping, robots. There's tons of companies out there. They're rolling out those products right now. You don't need to wait. So I dig that man. And so when people ask me, hey, man, hey, Michael, noticed they didn't say, Mike, hey Michael, Hey Garf, I need something right now. I want to go get one of them robot mop vacuum type of things. What do you recommend? Well, instead of me saying why, I want to see yes and allegedly it's coming out in the summer, I could say, you know what, here's one from Robo Rock. Like robo Rock, Uh, it may not be the cheapest thing, but this thing has got more suction power and it's got it exchanges the dirty water with clean water by itself automatically. Go get this thing right now. So I do like that. Some of the gudgets that I showed off on on my TV hit on Great Day Houston CBS earlier this week, I saw I showed off these uh ray Bant meta glasses. Now, these these have been on the market for a while, but they continue to improve. They continue to have different styles in the wayfair style and whatever. But RayBan also is coming out with it or the meta part of it. Meta, Facebook, Instagram. They're coming out with software upgrades and I wore these things, and I got to tell you, for three hundred dollars, these are fun and it has been a long time since I've actually seen a product that is kind of quote unquote fun. You'll put these glasses on and you they do. They do a number of things. They're they're Bluetooth at the lowest end. They're Bluetooth, which means they have speak is built into the frames, the left frame and the right frame, which sit on your ears, and so when you connect it with your phone, you could listen to music, a phone call comes in, you can keep your glasses on. There's sunglasses for the most part. I have ones that have changing lenses. So I walk outside, they become a little bit more dark, which is nice. And that's just the first part. The second part of these things, and the really kicker right here is the fact that they have a built in microphone and they have a built in camera. Yes, allah the original you know Google glass, the Google glasses from years ago, this has improved. It's got a twelve mixel twelve megapixel camera that is always front facing looking out built into the glasses and so at your command, you could hit a button on the top right hand of the frame, or you actually can use a command that says head meta, take a picture, and it snaps a photo. You could actually send it automatically to your phone. It also takes video. It takes up to three minutes of recorded video. But you can also live stream video of what you're watching. Here's your POV. You content creators out there, it's your point of view. You can live stream to Instagram and Facebook. Yes, you could do that too. But the cool thing is the upgrade is now there's AI built in. You can actually look at something and you can ask through your microphone. You say, hey Meta, what am I looking at? And it will tell you in your ears what you're looking at. And I've played it. I looked at an apple, Hey Meta, what is this? This is a green apple and you can get it at a store like that. If I'm looking at a If I'm looking at a car and I don't know exactly what model that is, Hey Meta, what I'm looking at You're looking at a twenty twenty two Chevy but whatever. It is even better if you're going to another country and you do not know the language, and you're looking at a street sign, you're looking at whatever, and it's in a foreign language. You say, hey, Meta, translate this for me as you look at it. Boom, it translates it. Things like that. It's helpful, but they're also fun. So there is some joy in Mudville. By the way, Rest in peace, Bob Buker, who left us at ninety years old. Earlier this week, Classic decent ball Actually was a crappy ball player, but dang, what an entertainer sitting on the ultimate front row right now. Hey, new Year coming up? You want some motivation. Got a guy in Dallas who I've known for a long time. He is a speaker, he is a trainer, and he is just he's got more energy than me. Stand by, we're gonna give you a fire up session. As we open up twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: Five years say Test.
Speaker 1: Two were back at it, Michael Garfield. We continue to wish you a happy new Year. I guess we could technically still say that. I don't. According to Larry David, would you have like a week until after the January? But who cares? Baby, It's January, It's dry January. We're all getting fit. I'm just actually getting back to town man as I reached CAP, my Consumer Electronics show, trip to Las Vegas, my trip to the Cotton Bowl, which we're not talking about. But I'm finally settled into my normal regime here on the High Tech Texan Show. We have done this now for twenty See I have to add the number. It's twenty twenty five. So I've done this for about twenty four years right now, and we do want to welcome our relatively new audiences. Is in Dallas on A the eleven ninety AM and also San Antonio and the Big Stick WAI twelve hundred. Well, it is my longtime flagship KPRC nine fifty eight M in Houston, all over Texas, and I like talking to people all over Texas and especially my hometown of Big d in Dallas. And I thought I'd be very apropos to bring in someone who, now at the beginning of the year, everybody talks about I got to get in shape, I got to get my life together, and you know, I got to stop puttsing around and putting things off. You know, it's I can only motivate you so much. I think it's time for me to turn to a real motivator or somebody who physically is out there getting your butt into shape. But also he knows a lot about the subject of not procrastinating. He's an author. He's also a keynote speaker. He is a trainer. Ironically, he is a very very long time childhood friend of mine in Dallas. His name is Doug Rice. He's joining me, Doug, I swear, if you tell me you're doing push ups right now, I'm gonna kill you because I don't need that pressure.
Speaker 5: No hell, I mean I I just finished about half an hour ago.
Speaker 1: Johnny, I know you for you lost count at two hundred and eighty, right.
Speaker 5: I'm just trying to keep up with you. That's all I'm trying to do.
Speaker 1: You keep up by you do that exactly. Hey, listen, it's great talking to you. I know what. We connect and we stay in touch here quite a bit. We both have the Texas Longhorns and Dallas and that just so many things in common. Let's not talk about that game though. It was a hell of a season, but we're gonna it's all ours time, all the time. That's all we count.
Speaker 5: We can agree on that our beloved Longhorns will be back next year and they'll be back bigger, stronger and better.
Speaker 1: You just describe yourself bigger, longer and better. I'm gonna get into it right now because at our age, and we're just going to call it our age. And my know, my listeners generally know my age. They know the age of my kids and things. It's not getting easier. It's you know, we get up in the morning and you know, maybe for some not us because we're in shape, but maybe there's cracks and you know, creeks and the bones, and then you know, are are we going to rut in our life? And you know where do we go and stop? And I figured, you know, listen, we're just a few weeks into the new year, and you know this is the stuff that you talk about. I love your book. It's called at Now, procrastinate later, to kick us off and motivate us. I mean, pretend you're on stage right now. What do you say people to get their lives going for twenty twenty five?
Speaker 5: Well, it's twenty twenty five, perst of all, so that should be your biggest motivator. We just started the new year, and I don't care what Larry David says. I think we're still we still can put together some New Year's resolutions. And the reason why people like to get started, you know, obviously it's in January and they think, okay, we have new goals, it's going to be a new me. Well that does it works because we want to have some to motivate this, and it's time if you have not, you know, if you've been putting off getting in shape, or you've been eating everything that everything left and right since since Thanksgiving and even I indoles a little bit to the holidays, it's time to get started again. And that is that's what actually my book ACT now that that's an acronym. ACT stands for Attitude plus consistency equals transformation. It's something I've been preaching my entire fitness career. So first thing you have to do is you have to get the attitude that you can do this. Sometimes it seems overwhelming, Mike, It's like you can't you feel like whatever it is. Let's say, let's say you have an aggressive weight loss goal of you know, you want to lose twenty five thirty five pounds or more something like that. Take something extreme or more. Don't feel like you have to get it all in one shot. You just have to take the attitude, hey I can do this. And then the second part, which is that see for consistency, you just have to put in the grind, put in the work, consistently, show up, and you'll make the transformation that you're looking for. And that can work obviously in fitness, it can work in any type of career goal, personal goal, spiritual goal, whatever goal that you might have.
Speaker 1: People are making list you know I call a vision board, dog or whatever you want to call it right now, and they have Okay, I'm gonna talk general categories. We've got fitness, we've got business, we've got family, and they don't know where to start. How do they What suggestions do you do for prioritizing which one to start with? Or do you try to tackle all three?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I guess when you say all three, I guess there's so many different categories and it depends upon the person. And so since people tend to come to me most of all for my background and fitness, and then the way that I got into the whole keynote speaking area was the fact that I realized that no matter what it is that you're doing, the same traits and characteristics and daily habits that it takes to achieve a fitness goal are the same traits and daily habits and characteristics that it takes to achieve any goal. And that is first thing you have to do. I always call it. I call it the one two punch. The one two punch is simply number one is you have to set the goal. What is that goal. Let's just stay with the fitness right now. All right, let's just take that. Most people want to get in shape in the way they say they want to get in shape is they want to lose x number of pounds. So the most probably the most common goal is like that ten pound fifteen pound range that most people want to lose. So the first thing you do is you have to set that goal. What is that goal? And then the second part of the one two punch is this is the key to the whole thing. Listen up, everybody. You've got to get started, Okay, So I say, set it and then get it. Set it and then get it. So you have to start the program. You can't keep you know a lot of people what they'll do is they'll go buy a new pair of sneakers, to work out it and they'll buy do gym clothes, they'll join a gym, but they're doing all this busy work and that's basically they're kind of it's kind of a workout adjacent you might call it. But you've got to get started. That is the key, because once you get started, the magic starts to happen.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to steal the nikes.
Speaker 5: Just do it.
Speaker 1: They'll sue me, but just do something. And that's the whole thing. And listen, I've you know, I run a longtime runner, thirty year runner, marathoner. I mean, that's that's what a my secrets do. I picked up peloton, I picked up biking, and obviously, which is a different thing for me, I still go to the gym. It's funny. The past week or two, Oh guess what, I've seen some people in the gym I haven't seen in about fifty one weeks, and in about another two weeks it'll clear out. But that's what they do. But at least, you know what, I got to give them some dapt because they are there. They are at least they are trying to start. We speaking with Doug Rice. Doug is based in Dallas. He is a trainer and author, keynote speaker, among many other things. Flipping through your book here, act now, procrastinate later wherever great books are sold. By the way, we'll talk about that in a few minutes. I'm looking at some of the chapters over here. Flex your attitudes, slim down your excuses, and act now for leadership and the reflection of work life and balance. I love I see where you're going the whole thing. How these these excuses. I think they're hilarious. I mean, you know, we're always going to come by excuses. You know, how do you come about that stuff?
Speaker 5: Well you have to Well, first thing you have to do is you have to realize that we all do it. We all want to make excuses. And I always say that excuses are kind of the first cousin to procrastination. So you start to think of reasons why you can't do something and why, you know why I've got to do this first, or I want to take care of this. Get past the excuses. My biggest fitness tip that I tell people, and I've done this for years, and especially when I would get somebody like in the media, like yourself, that would call me and say, so give me a fitness tip. They're writing an article for a magazine or online whatever it is. And I think the best tip overall is I say, workout every Monday. Why every Monday? Well, obviously, because if you start on Monday, you get that workout in, You've got your week started off with some momentum, you've got you feel like you've got the win that you're back. Now I've got my first workout in. And if your goal is to work out, let's say three times a week, which is a very solid workout plan, then you've already got Monday down. You've only got two more to go, and you've got the rest of the week to get those, uh those two additional workouts in. So start working out and put Monday on your schedule every week.
Speaker 1: It makes it makes sense if you're talking to Doug Rice and speaking of Doug Rice and working out. Obviously, for those those Dallas listeners you have long toadday. Is it? Is it a Sunday morning class that I've been to. It's it's it's boot camp on steroids for about an hour, tell us, tell us about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's boot camp, and yeah it was. It was started gosh. I guess now that that Sunday group started about ten years ago and it started off as an all guys boot camp. Uh And what happened was during during that that whole COVID pandemic. I don't know if you've heard about that pandemic a few years ago that.
Speaker 1: I thought the media made it up, but I'm not sure. Man still questioning that.
Speaker 5: So I actually changed things around at that point and we started we just we made it co ed. So now there's ladies involved in it too. I had a I had an all ladies boot camp for brides for many years and then, uh so we put the two together and now for Sunday, it's a co ed boot camp. It's here in Dallas over the North Dallas area, close over over by the Galleria if you're from the Dallas area. And anyway, if you want to go to my website, you can go to boot Camp nine O two one o dot com. Because the nine O two one oh was it started off many years ago in Beverly Hills. Uh So, anyway, that's where it is, and we have it's a it's a total body workout. You'll you'll burn some serious calories really uh, really good group of people. We have a we we work hard, but we uh we also have a good time.
Speaker 1: I love the attitude, you know, it's funny. I want to congratulate you and your success. Again, I've known you well over fifty years and you're just You're just can continue to kick it. And again, as I always tell people, uh, you know, listen, while I still have my hair and I'm not that rankly, I'm gonna do what I can to keep it in the media over here. But one of the nicest compliments that I continue to get, it really is it's when they realize, you know, I have I have a you know, a kid who's thirty and at twenty seven and in twenty four and they realize, you know, they put my age together. It's like, man, what's your secret? While you're so energetic And I look at you and I'm gonna say the same thing. You're you know, you're just a few young months younger than me, and you're even more energetic, and you're you know, much more, you know jacked and than now you're you're you're an off of the whole thing. And I tell them the secret here and again it's you gotta be from Dallas. Dallas is the key.
Speaker 5: Baby.
Speaker 1: We are the We're nice Dallas boys. That's it. So take that uston. It's in and done it. No. I love everyone. Oh I love all my cities, but I don't know down here in Houston, they don't look too well on Dallas up there. But yeah, Dallas people. Uh. Last question, is there a secret at all? Or just keep on keeping on this?
Speaker 5: I get the secrets in your mind that that first word of back now is attitude. It's all up in your head. You have to have that that attitude that you can do it. It's a positive attitude that can do spirit. It's not hocus pocus mumbo jumbo positive affirmations. That stuff actually does work. The reason why it's been around for for for you know, millennia. If you go back and look at you know, some of the ancient philosophers they were talking about how to They didn't call it a positive attitude. They called it different things. But it does work. And so you have to believe in yourself, have that can do attitude and realize that you've got to going back to what I just said, if you have a goal, you got to set the goal and then get started on that goal and you'll you'll be amazed at how that magical happened.
Speaker 1: To put on these microphones run around the block right now. The guys fired me up so much. His name is Doug Rice. Doug if any you already give out the website you gave one of your websites. You have to have so many damned businesses. What's the main website? People want your book and everything else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so my for my keynote speaking, it's Doug Rice Speaker dot com. Doug Rice Speaker dot com. And I speak to corporate audiences, associations, you know, educational groups, whatever I have. I have some great messages there, you know, about having a positive attitude, change leadership, and of course boosting productivity, which is one of my big keynotes. So yeah, you can catch me there. And of course if you're in Dallas, do you want to check out boot camp nine or two one oh dot com. I'm there as well.
Speaker 1: The last thing I'm gonna promote one more crazy side gig business that you have that has just been taken off. I want you to do a little high tech texting show promo from fake McConaughey.
Speaker 5: Oh right, oh right right.
Speaker 8: If you want to find out what's going on in the high tech world, it's just the whole lifestyle of a real Texan. You check out Michael Garfield and he's on Just keep living, baby.
Speaker 1: Just keep leaving baby. That's all right. His name is Doug Rice. Listen, buddy, it's great to see you. Congratulate success. Always good to catch up with you. Don't be shy in twenty twenty five. This year, I have you on regularly because you know, I like motivational stuff and we got to keep on living because this world ain't treating us well. But we got to make sure that we come out on the other end other size bull as long as we can.
Speaker 5: You bet, hey, appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 1: You got it, Doug Rice. If you need I'm all right, my friends, all right, we're gonna take a break. It is Michael Garfield. That's right, Dallas. I've been living in Houston and now broadcasting in San Antonio and everywhere else. Great radio shows are heard on the iHeart Radio network. We're gonna be right back. Don't go anywhere. Who is ready to go for a run?
Speaker 7: Right now?
Speaker 1: You fired up? I do thank Doug Rice for joining me for a few minutes. Doug Rice, Dallas based trainer and offer and a speaker. Good dude, good dude. I've known him for a while and need to take some I don't know he and I we continue to share some marketing ideas. Baby, come on, you gotta market. If you don't market yourself nowadays, people you were gonzo, I figured that out twenty five years ago, and I came up with a high tech Texan for some reason. I'm not saying I'm relevant, but I'm still around and I am here for you. Number for this show three four six twenty nine dex At three four six two nine te x a n shout out terrestrially Houston, San Antonio, Dallas. If you're listening this weekend, a big week coming up. We've got uh, We've got apparently there's a new president taking office this coming Monday. But also Monday, there's going to be a new college football champion Crown. I'd rather not talk about it. It's still stinging. I was at the Cotton Bowl last week. I don't know who was that. Yeah, it was about about what eight eight days ago, eight nine days ago. I was there on the field in Dallas. And for those of you who thought you saw me roaming behind the esp ESPN cameras, Yes that was me. That was me. Sorry, I was there covering it. I did have a media credential. I did not sneak onto the field. I was allowed to be there. If you follow me on social media or some of the the certainly my radio stations and in some of the TV stations I con attribute to I was give me the play by play of the scene down on the field at at and T Stadium, and the scene, it was a crazy scene. It was if you're a Longhorn fan, which which I am. Sorry, that's what That's what you get. Tons of people, Bevo is down there, Worldwide press was there and all my ESPN people. And listen, if if you listen to my show, you know I talk about technology, cars, I give advice, whatever. But everybody, if you listen to it for a long time, you know what I really have wanted to do in life, and I guess it's never too late to start. I need to be in sports. I am a sports nut, I'm a sports aficionado. I'm a sports historian. I love stories and that's what I do, and I live on ESPN. I watch esp I was bitching about the price of my cable that went up in segment one. If you want to hear Scorched Earth rant, go listen to this podcast when we're done and my cable. The funny thing is, and people who know me, I mean personally know me, who hang out with me at my crib, ninety six percent of what I watch on TV is on ESPN. It's plain as freaking simple as that I live on ESPN. It's like I know the broadcasters. I critique them, I laugh at them, I'm a fan whatever. So when I'm walking around and there's freaking Rhys Davis, Pat mcphe, Nick Saban, Desmond Howard, and there's Herbie and there's Herbie's dog, and I'm like, oh my goodness, I'm in freaking heaven. So I and luckily I am. Luckily, Luckily for me, I'm in the business of media and TV. I know how TV. I know how ESPN and TV and sports are produced. I know where the cameras are, I know where the pre impostcan cameras are. Maybe I just happened to walk right in in camera shot of when I don't know. Laura Rutledge is interviewing the winning coach, Ryan Day for Ohio State. Maybe I just happened to be standing right behind the two when twenty point six million people were tuning in and happen to see me. I then had to go actually exchange my battery from my cell phone because my cell phone blew up with texting calls from all over the world. It was fun. Yeah, send the tans of the question. That was me. Wasn't happy with the outcome, not displeased that Quinn yours is no longer he's going to Let's just put it this way. I'm a nice guy. I try to be a nice guy. Good luck in the NFL, and I hope he is. Nothing makes me happier the watching NFL where a former Texas Longhorn where I went does something well, and they exactly because every time they do well, they get headlines. And I'll be the first to say when Quinn you weres you know, goes to the playoffs, go to the Super Bowl, I'm gonna be testing my boys. I'm like, Quin, you were fromp Texas from exactly. So anyway, that was me at the Cotton Bowl. So do I at the point is big week. We got an inauguration, and we've got a National Championship game, which now I don't have to go to the National Championship to cover because Texas will not be there. I will be this coming week in San Jose, California. San Jose now last north California, just south of San Francisco, so not in the fires and everything, because that's down in LA. I'm gonna ask have to ask Dion Warwick and Burt Backrack how to get there. There's a throwback old school right now that I just went over the head of about seventy percent of my audience. So I'm going to San Jose Silicon Valley, believe it or not, for my first time ever. Now I've driven through San Jose. But I'm going up there because there is an event from Samsung. Samsung, I am going up there to cover a product announcement. And if anybody wants to know which product announcement it is, I can only speculate because I do not know what it's going to be. But I am speculating it is gonna be some announcements on some new phones. That is Samsung Unpacked, and I am just kind of speculating that it may be the new Samsung Galaxy S twenty five, maybe the S twenty five Ultra. I don't know. I could be wrong, and I really could be wrong. So that is why you need to follow me on Instagram because my show's are only on the weekend, but Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. I have no clue why they need me up there for four days. But I get to meet the engineers. I get to find out all the new AI built in products in what's coming out. Maybe there'll be some laptops who know. So that that is my week. So keep following me over here high Tech Texan on all your social media information. Phone number over here, we'll get to your phone calls. And again, if you're calling right now, we do thank you for that. Three four six twenty nine Texan. For some reason, Callum, Hello, Callum, Happy New Year. Callum doesn't pick up, it will roll over to voicemail. Leave me a voicemail message and we will play it. You're on the radio, chauseeau one while I'll tell you, well, let me let me before we get to the top of the hour. Let me give you one more product, just something. Oh, by the way that I just kind of enjoyed. I found at cees there are there are, there are too many earphones and headphones and speakers to talk about. There's just there're earbuds, there's over the ear headphones, there's there's there're boombox speakers, is coming back? I got it. Just it goes on and on and on. I have I don't know what's the over under. I easily have a dozen headphones, earbuds just I'm playing with right now. I need a garage sale. I need to go on eBay. I don't know. Let's trade something I don't know. I'll tell you what Comcast, I will trade you a pair of headphones a month if you just freaking wipe my bill off because it's so expensive. I know, I'm just kidding about that, really not So. I've tried all these earphones. Some are comfortable, some have good sounds, some have crappy sounds, some of they don't have good battery of life. I found that this was like almost a throwaway item. I'm going up and down the aisles and here's a booth, and I'm familiar with this company. It's called And this is not an endorsement I'm just Oh, by the way, it's called Soundcore. Soundcore you go to soundcore dot com and they've got some headphones and earbuds and speakers or whatever. So anyway, they were just they were giving some things away and I'm like, well, what is this? And there's there's these earbuds. They were different. These don't go in your ear allah AirPods or Samsung buds or anything like that. These don't go over your ears like we have here in the radio cans as we call them. These don't go around the back of your head and bone conductive, which I love. These are clip on earbuds. And for me to describe it, let me see if I could do it, because I'm a play by play guy. Left right on your radio dot They're like ear rings. They these are small, little black little things that kind of looks like a U shape and you clip one in your left ear, you're one in your right ear, right in the middle of the ear, the middle on your on your ear lobe, and they look like ear rings. Now you wear them up a little higher, you know, ear rings, they dangle below. Correct, These were the middle of the ear, so look a little different. But I'm telling you. They don't fall off to sound great. They're Bluetooth for the songs obviously, and also the phones. They come in a few different colors. You're different, they're neat. I'm gonna start using these a little bit a lot likely. I think the're about one hundred and thirty dollars. It's called the Soundcore Arrow Clip. Again, I have a bag full of craft like this that I thought, oh, I just I use these, and I thought it worked out.
Speaker 7: This is not partway stuff that you pot er five the show.
Speaker 1: And listen one more hour. I want you to tune in because we're gonna talk TikTok. That is TikTok going away. If TikTok goes away, what are you gonna use this day? If TikTok goes away, You've got a ring up. You've got X number of hours to download all the ars.
Speaker 6: High Deck Texas.
Speaker 2: Is Michael Garfer, Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield's joining.
Speaker 4: You in the high Tech Texan.
Speaker 3: Michael Garfield is here with it high Tech Texans to make like easier technology and Michael Garfia has something you might want.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio add Now you're high tech Texan. Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Start of the second hour of two hours, which was the way through, which means it is a halfway to happy hour. I hope it's happy if you're listening live or plausibly live on a weekend. Here we've got what the third weekend of January. Oh my goodness, the year is just flying by. Shut up, shut up, people, Come on, Michael is the day Michael Garfield, Hello to Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, terrestrially and also if you're listening on iHeartRadio app or a podcast, Hey, thanks for tuning in. We appreciate your finding this finding this show been doing it for well over twenty plus years, and we're trying to give you some fun ideas of what to buy, where to shop, and also what to stay away from. And if you want to know what to stay away from you're just tuning in, why don't you test out our podcast? Callum, Yeah, you're gonna put this up. Let's say we got about an hour to go in the show, so give them another hour. So go to iHeartRadio download the app. It's a great app, really, and I'm just not a company man saying that it's good app. You can listen to hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of radio stations from all over the world, great music. But if way look for my show Michael Garfield, High Tech Textan spelled the whole thing out, and listen to my first segment, hour one. Yeah, I'll tell you what not to buy. Freaking Comcast didn't start. Wasn't happy the start of the show. I don't want to go I don't want to go through it again. Man, my bad. I need like a blood pressure monitor on my watch, which, by the way, I saw at CES. It's not I just opened my Comcast my new Comcast bill for the year. My monthly bill boom went up twenty five more dollars. Man, what's up?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 1: Okay, let me get Brittain.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I need an app tax I need the call map, I need yoga, I need to pilates. I need your phone calls three four, six, twenty nine Texan, And you know what, tell you what I'm gonna gift giving mood last week. If you follow me on Instagram high Tech Texan, I gave away one or two things give away. I give away. It was a new gaming headset, really cool seraphim gaming headset works with your Xbox, PS fives and all that other stuff. More stuff I'll give away because I gotta I gotta give I don't need it one. I mean my closets. Man, I live in a freaking Best Buyer Amazon warehouse. I have so much stuff, so they, you know, companies, will give it to me. I brought three extra suitcases. I'm not kidding you. They were foldable, so I luckily Southwest Airlines, who I live you two bags fly free brought back a lot of Joshke's and I'm gonna give them away. And I'm gonna give away also if you're in Houston coming up in about uh it's about two weeks right now. It is the Houston Auto Show. I'm a big auto show. I'm a big auto guy. I every week I review autos. And by the way, I uh this, what's Michael driving this week? I was in a Alpha Romeo Tonale. Tonale got to drive that pretty much halfway around the state when I was schlepping from Houston to Dallas for the cotton bowling back. I'll give you my thoughts on that may be surprised. Alfa Romeo sexy name. I don't know. I got all trepidation before I could recommend some of those things. But anyway to stand by, But I talk about the cars and so many other things. Where was I going with this? I don't know. Somebody keeping back on track three four six twenty nine, Texan. A lot of things that I like and I yap about and I talk about in one of the ways. I need to start with this because this is a big weekend, by the way, not just because we got we got football yet. If you're in Houston, you got your Houston Dexans here playing the Kansas City Chiefs. Good luck with that.
Speaker 5: You got.
Speaker 1: You got a new Dallas Cowboy coach, you got well trying to be a new cowboy coach. Got a new president being inaugurated. We got the fire still going out where my two sons live. They're okay. Thank you for not asking people lots of We got a new college football team gonna be ground. But if you're a TikTok user, people, this may be the only thing that is consuming your life right now, because with the clock ticking towards this possible US ban for TikTok users of this video sharing app. You may be wondering what does it mean to you? Long story short, it's parents. It's parent company based in Beijing, China. It's called byte Dance. They're reportingly planning to shut down the app entirely on Sunday if the federal ban on this app goes into effect. All right now, if that comes to pass, you could be locked out of your favorite videos that you made, that others made or whatever. Now to us, somebody needs to find a buyer. And I was. I was trying to, you know, you know, get a few people bring and brings, you know, get our shekels, bringing a coin together, and maybe buy it. I had no luck. But I actually don't want it because of all the social media apps that I have used or currently is, I have never downloaded to use TikTok. And there's no reason why it's not specifically because it's China owned TikTok. I just at that point, after Facebook, after Instagram, after Twitter, after app after LinkedIn after another, I just didn't need another one. And when TikTok originally came around to me, it was for the younger, younger generation, now it's not. It's a great platform for advertisers and whatever. I just didn't get into it. So I am not crying boo hoo, and really no sweat off my back. If TikTok lives or dies, I absolutely feel and I'm not happy for people who make their living who make a lot of extra cash on TikTok, number one of which is my influencer, young Son. I'm not happy about that. But people, if it goes bye bye, there are other platforms, and I'm gonna give you one an I'm anna analogy guy, analogy guy, let's go to professional football. Four years CBS showed the NFL the NFL all back in the days in the seventy eighties, the NFL had the NFC package. It was Pat Somemraw, Tom Brookshire, it was Pat Somemral, it was John Madden. They were great. It was it was Sundays, it was NFL football. Terry Bradshaw was doing play by play, Firm Lunquist and everything. Well, in nineteen ninety four, I believe CBS lost for the first time ever in the history of the NFL television. They lost that package lost it. It went to Fox. The upstart. People were freaking up. People lost their job, Terry Bradshaw, they lost their what do they do? Well, guess what. The NFL found a new home on Fox. They picked up that NFC package. And you know what you did as a viewer. You migrated over to Fox and you didn't You didn't care because it's the content that you wanted. Didn't matter what the platform was at that point, it was the content. There's my analogy. If TikTok goes away, don't cry people. There are still platforms for short form videos for what I ate for breakfast today, for the unboxing videos, for you know, follow me and watch me put my makeup on all that stuff. Instagram reels, that's what that's for. Facebook has something too. So I can't tell you what's gonna happen with TikTok, but what I will tell you when we come back from this, if you do have tick tock, and if you do want to save your videos and everything you watch, I will tell you abous do that. After the break that's sounds what I am.
Speaker 6: I you segue.
Speaker 7: People don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Pretty much your lifetime right now, whether you're listening, it could be dinner time could be the middle of the night or all we know with that is that's how you know podcast and everything works. But as I plausibly do this live in Houston and also heard in San Antonio and also Dallas, it's I'm a little hungry. Might I recommend Cobo Bob's. So I'm talking to you Houston, I'm talking to you San Antonio. You have one location, but Austin not far away. That's the headquarters. They got several locations, Cobo Bobs Man, I love it. Tell you what right now, I'm mean to give away a gift card. Who wants a gift card? Twenty five dollars gift card to Cabo Bob Man. You can tell them to make your own inch. Not enchiladas. They do need to expand enchiladas. Though they have tacos, they have burrito bowls, they have some casadias, and they have the most killer tostada chips tortilla chips that you've ever tried. Love their case. So what we'll do is, uh callin em nine right now colinum nine seven one three two one two five nine five. Oh that's our contest line two one seven one three. No matter where you are two one, two, five nine five, Oh caller nine, you're getting twenty five bones and Cabo Bob's love that place. They need to open on Sundays though, okay, it's I don't I eat there easily over under two point five times a week. Awesome, way too last year, too good stuff, Cobo Bob's appreciate the partnership there. As we continue the high tech texting show, Michael, is my name caffeinated up on iced t if you haven't figured that out? Not a TikTok guy, don't know what's gonna happen to TikTok. The clock is tict tiktoking to hunt intended right there? What do you do if you have videos that you uploaded a TikTok? How do you save them? Are they gone? Well? Will you be able? Let's talk about this. For some reason, TikTok goes away. I remember about one hundred and seventy million Americans use TikTok. And if it goes away because it's you know, there's the law that it's owned by a Chinese company. I'm not getting into the politics of that, but whatever. But if the court does helphold the law, the company doesn't sell the app to some body, someome company in the US what you could expect on Sunday. Under the law, you will not be able to download TikTok to your phone. App stores like Apple and Google they will have to remove the app from their stores overnight or they're gonna face some civil penalties. That means you won't be able to download the app to your device, and it also means by dance, the company won't be able to issue updates to the app. If you already have that app, download it to your device, Yes, you can still access it. The law doesn't make it illegal to have the app on your phone, so yes, you can still have it. So don't worry if you get pulled over by a cop or something like that. Excuse me, sure, can I see your phone? Do you have this TikTok app? Got and arrest them? Wreck? Come on, cops, Now it's okay to have it on your phone. Will you be able to access TikTok from a web browser. No, because the law applies to the app stores and internet providers alike. Now the question how do I keep posts and videos that you like? TikTok actually lets you download your posts and post from your favorite creators. You want to know how to download the post from your favorite creators before Sunday real Quickly open the app, Open TikTok, tap the share button on a post. Share It's the arrow on the right side of your screen. Then you tap save video. I mean, do you see how easily I break things down? This is why I'm in the business people, simple as that. Now, how do you save your own posts? How do you save your own post that you want? Because man, it was cry It took me eight hours to come up with the script, and you know, I had to reshoot this and I had to have my wife hold the Now you want to save your own post, Open TikTok, Go to your profile, hap a post. You'll see three dots on the right side of your screen called the Hamburg Just whatever three dots you hit save video. People. This is why I've been doing this for two decades. I make it simple people. That's it. The apps. Then gonna the app is going to save those posts your photo library. Hey Michael email coming in. Could I use a VPN a virtual private network to access TikTok? Good question, because VPNs hide your IP dress. They're very They're very smart and useful to use on many occasions. If you if you use a corporate account and you log in remotely like we do it here at ir Right to access a lot of things, we have to use a virtual private network, many of them out there. It's worth paying for a VPN because some of these freebie ones they're a little loose a gracy. If you know what I'm saying, you could potentially use a VPN on your phone or browser to access TikTok. So yes, that means a VPN can make it look like you're accessing TikTok from London, but you're really you know, you're in Dallas or somewhere. But you could also potentially use a proxy server to access TikTok. And a proxy server it's US like a VPN, and that masks your IP address by sending your traffic through another server first. The main difference between the two is that a proxy server doesn't offer us how comprehensive privacy protections as a VPN does. Now, could the incoming president ELECTROMP save TikTok? Not sure, because if the law takes effect on Sunday, one day before the president's elects inauguration. So if Trump wants to do something about the law, it's going to go into effect for at least that one day. Who knows, Again, I am I can't. I don't understand politics. I'm not delving into it. If the Supreme Court upholds the law, there's a chance that TikTok could stop working in the US altogether. It could. That means if you have the app in your device, it won't work. And if the app are to shut down entirely in the US, it would be really beyond what the law calls for. It's an interesting situation, one of the in the technological digital era that anybody can define by any decade or so. Let's just go back to mobile phones and apps in two thousand and eight, what the second year of the iPhone when apps itself were invented. So we've known apps for what fifteen sixteen years right now, it's kind of a first But to me, and again I'm gonna spend about another minute over here about this thing. There are a lot of Chinese owned everything that we use here in the United States. Yeah, I know, the automobile industry. There's some phenomenal, smart, inexpensive Chinese electric vehicles that I've seen. I saw cs that you could probably buy if they ever got over here without tariffs and everything. By these things are under twenty thousand dollars. Nope, last administration said, hey, anything any cars from China, We're gonna have a fifty percent or so tariff from this thing, which is why they're never gonna be twenty thousand dollars. They're gonna be forty fifty sixty thousand dollars. Is it to protect our United States owned in our research development, in our own companies? Maybe, And I'm down with that. That's cool. Did I love me some America? I promote America over any other country without a doubt. I just I've always said this, man, America said many aspects. When it comes to the tech world. In some other industries, we are behind. We are behind. So who knows this is we're figuring this out, that we are figuring this out. Listen, when I was born, I'm not gonna say many years ago, but it's in some years ago. Man. Life was different.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: We had black and white TV channels, and then there was the color TV, and then there was the remote control and you know, and the internet. As we even known. It has been around maybe only twenty five years. Phones and Apse has only been around fifteen or so years. It's changing, evolving. I love talking about it, I love following it. You hear my passion, and I'm trying to give you the best information that I can. We're gonna take another little side step. We're gonna talk about cars and automobiles. The Houston Auto Show is coming up in about two weeks. If you happen to be in Austin, in Houston, even if you're not, of all the auto shows that are in this region of Texas, and I've been to San Antonio, I've been to the Dallas, I've been to the Terran County Houston, without a doubt, stands head and shoulders above the rest. We're gonna talk to Rochelle Salinas. She runs the Houston Auto Show, which this year is combined with the with the Boat Show. It's the Auto Boat of Show. And we're gonna give away some tickets too, So stand by we'll see what they have coming up their slop Here are lots of time. You're back at it. Michael Garfield, Happy January. We thank you all for tuning in Open phone lines wherever you may be across the state of Texas. Now that we are heard not only in h Town, but also in Dallas and San Antonio. So truly, the high tech Texans moniker has come true. Just the high tech Ustonian that can't be happier about that. Hope your ear is get off till a good start. You know. One of the things that I have done for a long time, fifteen to sixteen years, I have covered the automobile industry. I talk about cars and trucks. I get to drive them. I'm a member of the Texas Auto Writers Association, and I do get to go to a lot of the auto shows around the country. And it's seriously not trying to be biased over here. The Houston Auto Show ye're in year out, has always been my favorite. Yes, it's hometown, but also they do just a bang up job. It is massive, it's very interactive. It's always towards the end of January, which means it is coming up, and I want to give you a little sneak peak of what to expect with that. I want to bring in Rochelle Selena. She is with not just the Houston Auto Show, but it's also the Houston Auto in boat show. It's called the Auto Boative Show coming up. She joins me, Rachelle, how many years have we done this? Right now? You excited again?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm super excited. This is like my fourteenth auto show that I've been working on, and I have to tell you that I haven't been this excited about our auto shows since prior to COVID. And we've really put together a great event, two events in one and filled up in our center and we are chuck block full out of sold out of space across the whole Hole Energy Center, which is really great news compared to last year.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: That really is good to hear. And I'm going to tell you why, because I've been coming to this show probably as long as you've been running, at fourteen or so years. It's always a blast. The COVID era was something I know we all want to forget about, you know, we weren't getting out as much. And then now auto manufacturers you know this that maybe we're not going to go to some of these shows. Just exciting news. The fact that you guys are booked and you're filled up, and I think it was a really fun, smart call of joint venturing with the boat show because you know, the past few years i've been there, I get to see some boats, and I'm not a boater guy, but the fact is it's really open to my eyes into that you know new you know, new industry, and there's some really unbelievable yachts to go along with those big land yachts, which are the big cars and trucks that you guys also have.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and that's you know, that's what I There's mixed reviews on the die hard car efficionados and the boat lovers on is this right for both of these events to be together, And I am sticking to my guns and I think it's really great. You know, if we were to have two standalone events, we wouldn't be filling an RG Center. And to be able to have two events in one and have the yachts to the kayaks, to the fishing boats, to your luxury SUVs and electric vehicles for test drive, I think it's a full packed experience.
Speaker 1: Oh. I expect it to be as usual for those of the folks out there who are on initiated with a going to any auto show was certainly the one in Houston what can they expect, especially after you kind of had a big lead in over there that this is going to be one. You're more excited than that than you have been in several years from right now with the packed house, talk about some of the manufacturers and some of the interactive things that are going to be happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I have to say Camp Jeep is back. You know, they missed last year, but we're super excited that Camp Jeep is back, and so is all the Stalanta's brands. So we'll have Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge Ram on display as well as Camp Jeep there. And for the first time in many years, we're bringing back BMW and Infinity and also new to kind of the whole market is Ineos and so Ineos will have the Grenadier there on display too. We'll also have some ultra luxuries available and then all the traditionals so Ford, Price, ser Toyota, Subaru, GMC, Honda, Hondai, Kia, all of the usuals. So I think it's we have about thirty different brands on the auto show side.
Speaker 1: I great news about Camp Jeep. It's always fun being able to go back there and you know, being driven up you know kind of a mountain, you know, hype looking thank us to show they're showing off their vehicle how well it takes those hills and the indios. I got to drive in an ineos Use. It was last last October, so I think it was the Texas Truck Rodeo. That thing's a beast. And for people who've never seen that suv, I mean that thing is ready for war. I mean that is really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's incredible. And we'll have test drive opportunities out front of NRG Center with Ford, Subaru, BMW will have all of their electric vehicles for test drive, and then we'll also have all of the Stalantis brands available for test drive and Evolve Houston is back again test driving EV's. If you haven't driven an ev this is your chance to get behind the Hummer EV the Chevy options and the new Cadillac electric vehicle options too, So there's some good variety there of evs to try out.
Speaker 1: Talking to Rochelle Selena, she is with the Houston Auto Gotive Show. It is happening here towards the end of the month. We're with less than two and a half weeks. Stand by because she has graciously donated some tickets that we will give away later this hour before the show ends. It's funny you're listing all of the EV's and all the car the opportunity. It sounds like my house over the past year. I am very fortunate to get to test drive on a weekly basis some of stuff. And you listened. I mean, I was in the Hummer EV a few weeks ago. That thing is just a monster. I mean, nine thousand pounds. It's got three motors in there. But it is quiet as you know, get out because it's it's an electric vehicle. People are for those that are unfamiliar with evs and they've ever seen them, and you certainly can't really hear them, they're going to be surprised at the number of them on the on the marketplace nowadays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every brand has something available and so there's plenty to learn. You know, Evol of Houston will have a display space set up to where you can really learn about everything you would need to have an EV and what EV ownership can look like for you. So it's an educational experience too. And then on you know, on the boat show side, they're bringing in their professional bass caster and he's going to have the bass tank there and teach you how to cast. And then out in the lobby you'll be able to go and test your casting skills, and we'll have some professional fishermen showing you how to cast a fishing rod right there in the lobby of Energy Center, plus all of their boat displays and outdoor adventure experiences and vendors that they have set up. And then we have a beer garden this year. That's that's back. It'll be in the back of Energy Center between the two events, and we're bringing in a celebrity robot that should be entertaining for some and a wrote remote control racetrack too, so everyone can get behind some remote control vehicles and test their skills to get to the checkered flag. So plenty of interactive activities to fill your whole day with the whole family.
Speaker 1: You're in cars, what could go wrong? Good beer and boats that actually they do go together. It sounds like we can catch your own dinner. You bring the with the fishing, which is really cool. As I hear you describe some of these things, sounds like a very family friendly atmosphere and so it is this something you want to bring the family to and catch out whatever.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I always encourage everyone to bring their family. You know, these are big purchase decisions, and that's what you're there to do. If you're you're on the boat show side, you might go home with a boat that day. You can buy a boat at the autist at the Auto boat show, and on the auto show you're making a family purchase decision, and you want your whole family there to get inside of those vehicles. Make sure everyone fits comfy in all three rows or in the middle seed, or however your family dynamics lay out. So it's definitely a family friendly event. We encourage everyone to bring the whole family out. One of the other really family friendly activities that we're going to have that I'm extremely excited about is that we've partnered with NASA, and NASA is bringing three space vehicles to the show and they're going to have a very dynamic exhibit of the three space rovers that they have created to go to the Moon and to the Mars, and all three of those will be on display for people to see and experience, as well as some augmented reality and space suits for people to check out.
Speaker 1: You may just have to note for this year round and it sounds like six flags on steroids man back back in the day. This is good. It is the Houston Auto Botive Show, all right, let's go ahead with the details. It opens, win closes win.
Speaker 4: So we open in the general public January twenty nine. That's a Wednesday through February second Sunday, so you've got five days to come experience the whole event. And if you're looking for that VIP elevated night out, then come on January twenty eighth to our VIP night where we'll be honoring mister Tony Gullow and showing off some of his private selection and some of those have you even come from movies, So it's a really good time to come have a VIP experience too.
Speaker 1: I will tell you for those folks who are really into cars in boats, to that VIP experience, which is the night before it opens. And I think I've gone to I don't know every single one you've done for the past ten, eleven, twelve years. You got food, you got cocktails, not a big crowd. You get to get in there before everybody else. That VIP experience is really cool and I assume everything ticket wise can be had on the website.
Speaker 4: Yes, you can go to automotiveshow dot com or Houston Autoshow dot com or Houston Boatshow dot com. We've got information on all three of those sites. General admission tickets are twenty dollars and right now you can get them at a discount and a family four pack gets you want to get free, So just sixty bucks for a family of four.
Speaker 1: There you go. All right, I'll put all this information on my Instagram and also my ex account. Her name is Rochelle Salinas. And you do a bang up job year after year after year. And this is not just coming from me, it's the other of my ilk. Also in the auto writing industry, everybody really does love you and appreciates everything you do. You put on a great show.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Michael. It means a lot.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Hey, listen, good luck. I know I'll see you here in about a week and a half, two weeks. It is again the twenty eighth, January twenty eight Tuesday night in RG Center in Houston. That's the VIP Night and then for the public that opens on January twenty ninth. Stay tuned. I'm going to give some tickets away before now on the end of the show, and if you didn't win, suck at people, go buy it right on the website. She gave me the url, So that's how we roll. Rachelle, good luck. I'll see you why in the rest of the gang here coming up in a few weeks.
Speaker 4: Thank you, take care, got it all right.
Speaker 1: Folks, We continue the High Tech Texan Show open phone lines and you can hit me always at Michael at high tech Texan dot com. We will be right back my old segment of this week show. Thank you to Rochelle Salinas. She's with the Houston Auto Votive Show that is happening January twenty ninth through Uh what February first, coming up at Houston n RG Center. Tell you what does promised?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Who wants a four pack of tickets? Four pack of tickets? Caller number nine right now. Let me give you the number seven one three two one two five five two one two five nine five.
Speaker 6: Oh it's all.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take about twenty seconds for that one. If you get a busy uh sorry, if not, go to the website. What is it the Houston Auto Show Houston Automotive show. We thank her for that. And I do cover the auto industry every week. I do get to you hes drive an interesting vehicle across the board, not from a dealership, not sponsored. I am a member of the Texas Auto Writers Association, and these come directly from the manufacturers. And this past week, what's Michael driving? I happened to be in a twenty twenty five Alpha Romeo Tonale Tributo Italiano. You know what. I don't even want to review it. Oh, I just want to say that ten times Alpha Romeo Tonale Tributo at Taliano. Dude, I potentially would buy it, just so I could say I could own at Alpha Romeo Tonale Troberto at Taliano. That's cool. That's a strong name. I don't know if I would buy it, though, just my two thoughts, and let me give you about a minute or so. It was an interesting green color. When they rolled it up to my crib, it was, uh, well, let's guess what it's called. It's called Verde the Verde fangio metallic exterior paint. So it's a it was green four doors. It is it. It's I'm gonna call it a very small s UV CUV because it did have a hatchback. It's a performance car, and I I'm gonna set that tone right there. Performance cars are cool, they're fast, they're they're they're they're locked down, they're tight. There's different driving modes, the suspension, it's so they're not the most comfortable. It's not the easiest to drive. You're gonna have to really turn that steering wheel, give it a little bit more effort. It's got a lot of pick up, it's got a little get up and go. It's it's a it's relatively tight quarters. And that's every Alpha Romeo that I've test driven over the past many many years. It's again, I'm a six foot tall dude, and it's not like I'm fat or wide or anything. But they've got these huggable seats that keep you kind of locked in and they're okay, it's just not as comfy, you know whatever. I the you walk around, it looks good. I like the look, I like the logo. The grill is cool, and it does have a lot of you know, neat features. But once you get inside, and again, we live inside cars, and that's why I concentrate when I talk and review about vehicles. I talk about the inside. How's the infotainment and is it comfortable? And does it have you know, is the steering you know work well? Is it easy to program the radio stations? The infotainment system which is And again Alpha Romeo is now part of the Stalantis group. Stalantis is the overall organization that owns Jeep, Dodge, Ram, Fiat, Alpha Romeo, Maserati, all this stuff. So this is this is part of that. And I remember the old Alpha Romeo. They had their own proprietary, horrible infotainment system. Stalantis is they're trying to bring them in to their own game. The U Connect, that's what their system is called. And I love the you Connect, don't get me wrong. You Connect across the manufacturers my favorite infotament system. I think they do a good job. The screen is relatively smallish, but again the car is relatively small less. And I didn't expect a twelve inch screen. This has a you know, the cluster itself is about twelve inches. But this is a horizontal screen. It is you know, you know, touch screen activated. It had some I don't know, it was just kind of glitchy. And the steering wheel controls to control the volume and the control the favorites of the thing. They you know, they were just kind of placed a little differently.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: To me, if you have a volume up, volume and channel up and down, to me, should be the same thing. Okay, Just like on a remote control for your TV. There's an up button, there's a down button. Maybe on the left side there's a volume. Maybe on the right side there's a volume. It always blows my mind on steering wheels when automobile manufacturers, when it comes to volume and channel, they've got two different systems, you know. To like, for example, on this Alpha Romeo to no, to change the volume up and down, there's a little button with a little up up up, and you go down down down. You have to push these little buttons. But to change the channel, it's a thumb wheel. Huh. What's the confusing type of thing? The backspace was good, not great. I put my parents in it. My dad is a massive man.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: He's like six three sixty four and he bear I mean, we had to put that front seat way back for him, and he's getting a little older, and so it took him a little while to get in there. It's a low riding car very loads. It's it's not a high stepper, it's a low riding car. My mom was in the back, yet she was fine. She didn't luckily interesting enough my mom. My mom didn't complain. Forget about it. Are you kidding me? Hey, this is a nice car. Maybe I should get it? I said, no, maybe you should not get it. Price fifty two thousand is the base. I drove it at about fifty nine, six hundred and thirty dollars. If you're a performance person, you should look at this. If you have in schleppel up that maybe you have one or two kids who were in a car seat. Probably gonna be a little tight. To get things back there, the cargo space decent. I was able to get several suitcases and I slept from stuffed up to take to my parents from Houston to Dallas. It worked, okay. Last thing I'll tell you this thing's a gas guzzler. Oh my goodness, just guzzle gas guzzleed. This is a plug in hybrid. Didn't even use the plug in hybrid part of it. This didn't even use the hybrid. To me, it's worth us. What are you gonna get twenty extra miles? Fuel economy. I don't know I had to stop between I had to stop from Houston. I think I got a full tank of gas. Didn't I had to stop in Did I stop in Centerville Fairfield? Or did I stop a BUCkies? I think it stopped to Madisonville BUCkies. That's not very unusually I can get to Houston to Dallas and went freaking tank of gas. I stopped twice on the way to Dallas to get gas. I think I stopped once on the way back. It just it just seemed like a guzzled gas. Just not gonna give this thing two thumbs up. But again, this is me personally where I am in my life. Just I don't know if I want to get the Alfa Romeo to Alley tribute to it Taliano, But I damn do I love saying the Alfa Romeo to NALEI tribute to it Taliano. Folks, If you want to hear all every single week that I do a review on automobiles on iHeartRadio, I specifically have a podcast. It's called high Tech Texan. Actually Spotify too. I know my bosses don't like that, but this Spotify, it's on there. But it's also and Notheart but day. We've got to Spotify iHeartRadio. Every week you'll see a photo of the vehicle. You'll hear me talking anywhere between six to ten minutes of this thing. Give you my thoughts, and again I have no problem holding back. None of this is sponsored. I am just here as a public service announcement a PSA guy. That's actually what I am. My real name is Michael Garfield, not Mike Carfield. And with that, did I cover everything? Because we're about to end this show. We're about to end this show. Whatever you're doing this weekend, if you're about to tune on the Houston Texans, if it's a Saturday, if you're in the other markets in the show Areazon Sunday, you got your you get the Lion's kicking off. We've got a really good, exciting end of NFL season, even if my Dallas Cowboys or Night at Bawayant.
Speaker 7: But here is the tech.
Speaker 1: Thing's going up in Flames, Texas Longhorns went up in Flames. Stop twenty twenty five scot to Day. Okay, let's just hope it milestone birthday for me coming up in two weeks and want to get me something. My favorite color is purple, and I'm a Sish media listen, I've been worked with twenty plus years for you publicly on the radio, on TV.
Speaker 7: Go for give me something.
Speaker 1: Just you know, if you want to, you can figure out how you get a hold of me, Calum Reed. Thank you for keeping us on the New York Thank you for podcasting. Yeah, Brian Erickson, he's our program director for all these great radio stations that we're on, Eddie Martini and Everybody.
Speaker 7: At our Heartron and everything from two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check us out again and again on these podcasts look for High Tech Dection. We will be back next week. God Welling. My name is Michael Garfield and right now my show is over.