Speaker 1: We counted all joy that you are here with us today per usual, Doctor West, and I are excited. This is our teach in Thursday session. And my god, I don't know how we keep doing it, but personality after personality, they are all folks who have shaped and shaped the world in different capacities, and it just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter and sweeter every single time. On today's teaching Thursday, we're talking about the one and only cash.
Speaker 2: Is Clay.
Speaker 1: Changing the name to Mohammad Ali, float like a butterfly and sting like a beat. Muhammad Ali was born on January seventeenth, nineteen forty two, and he went to the ancestral plane on June third, twenty sixteen. That wasn't Muhammad Ali calling me.
Speaker 2: I wish that was.
Speaker 1: That could have been this period. No Muhammad a leave just calling me in y'all. Oh, my god, Doc, we got so much to cover. I mean, he was a boxer, a father, a revolutionary, a husband, He found a different faith in the Nation of Islam, close friends with Minister Malcolm X, who we just recognized on May nineteenth. Had he still been alive on this plane would have been one hundred years old. I mean the types of folks that were bringing forward on our teacher in thursdays. It's like it's better than a good meal.
Speaker 3: Isn't that the true? True? Isn't that the true? No? I think Muhammad I Lei was the freest black man in the twentieth century, alongside Richard Pryor and Malcolm black Man. What I mean is indescribable levels of self respect, self regard, and self as willing to speak from the depths of his own heart, mind, soul and pay any cost to do it, and do it with so style. See, that's what it is to be free. And certainly for a free black man and a white supremacist civilization black people that thought to hate themselves, he had levels of self love and self respect that liberated thousands and thousands of not millions of people all around the world. In fact, is in the millions all around the world. But I know you certainly helped liberate me. When I saw that, brother, I said, Wow, good God, might tee that's what it is to be free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: And just even in my studies in college, just coming to understand that he was so much more than a boxer. And I mean that with all all respect, what he was able to do in that ring definitely known as the greatest of all times in his time in that arena. Cannot take any of that from him. And he was the greatest of all times in other areas of his life as well, in terms of standing up for black people, having the clarity of mind to challenge the system in a way that caused him to have to sacrifice so much. I mean, the federal government came, the government came at him over him not wanting to go to the Vietnam War.
Speaker 2: He was crystal clear in.
Speaker 1: Terms of his conviction, the level of sacrifice that this man made by just being him. I think all of these things doc were innate in him, and it's like a sculptor sculpting clay.
Speaker 2: There no pun intended.
Speaker 1: The more and more he was more of himself and following his purpose, the more that formation really came. And I mean he challenged white supremacy straight up. And because he was good looking and he was fierce, he was quick witted. Just as quick as he was in that ring, he was quick outside the ring in terms of tangling up some of some of these folks who thought they were the best thinkers you know, in in in the world, the one of I remember when he was making it clear that he was not going to go to the Vietnam War, he made a statement that you know, basically saying that this country is wrong. And then he also said, none of those people over there ever called me the N word, but yet every day in this country, my people and me were called ends and we're just guarded and were disrespected. So you want to send me over to fight other brown people when they've done nothing to me?
Speaker 3: That's it. No, And that's that's that's his courage, that is with his wisdom, that's his fearlessness. And I think he got a lot of it from Odessa his mother. He got a lot of it from Cassius Place Senior, his father. He was shaping the Centennial Baptist Church right there in Louisville, Kentucky. He got a lot of it from his partners. And you think now he's very young. I mean, he wins the championship when he's twenty two years I was unprecedented, with the exception of Floyd Patterson, who one of the twenty one the Tyson Mike Tyson would go on to win when he's twenty but back in nineteen sixty four. He's born in nineteen forty two, he's twenty two years old. He's got the international stage. He is the most famous black man in the world. And what does he do with his fame? What does he do with his fortune? What does he do with his publicity? What does he do with his spectacle? He uses it in service not of himself but of black people. Think about you know, the celebrities these days, Think about the famous these days, about the rich these days? How many of them even come close to being willing to give all of that up on behalf of black folk. That's what he told them. He said, take the belt, He said, I love my people's. That's about as high as standard as you can get. Ill was himself enough to tell the truth as a wife doing it. He wasn't posing, he wasn't pop, didn't have to check with his agents, he didn't have to sult all of his various authorities. He's hired. He spoke from his heart mind. And so he's born the same years RITHA. Franklin and Curtis Mayfield nineteen forty.
Speaker 2: Two, that was a beautiful year.
Speaker 3: Two other great genius and giants and free black folk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love you said. The free is black man. One of the free is black man of the twentieth century. And we are lifting up today Muhammad Ali, who was born as Cashist Marcellus Clay Junior. I love that middle name, Marcellus, that was.
Speaker 2: His birth name.
Speaker 1: He converted to Islam, the Black Muslims, to be exact, under the honorable Elijah Muhammad. He certainly is regarded as the greatest boxer of all time. The goat. You are listening to Truth Time with some two goats as well, and that's doctor Cornell West and myself, if I must say so, myself, Nina Turner. When we come forward, we will continue our conversation about Muhammad Ali. You are just adjoining us. You know, today is Thursday. It is our teach in Thursday day. For doctor West and myself, we do our level best to bring you personalities and issues that in the illuminate those issues in a deeper way than we ordinarily would have the opportunity to do.
Speaker 2: Our teacher in.
Speaker 1: Thursday days gives us that opportunity to get there and to go there with you. Today we are lifting up the life the legacy, the tremendous courage, the earth Shaker himself none other than Muhammad Ali. Muhammad Ali was born on January seventeenth, nineteen forty.
Speaker 2: Two, in Louisville, Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Now, if there are any Kentuckians in there, and I didn't pronounce Louisville correctly, please forgive me. I had an aunt who lived in Louisville, Kentucky for a while. So he was born on January seventeen, nineteen forty two, and he went to the ancestral plane on June third, twenty sixteen. He was in Scottsdale, Arizona at the time. But what Muhammad al Lee was able to do in between that dash, millions of people will never ever be able to do if they had a million lifetimes in between that day. Definitely regarded as the greatest boxer of the twentieth century, called the Goat. He had bizazz, he has style, he had skill, he had confidence, but more importantly, he had a love for his people. Doctor, you think, I don't know if he ever described himself. You know, we like to put labels on people, and I understand as human beings how we got to categorize things. I don't know if he ever referred to himself as an activist in the way that we think of it in the twenty first century.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts about that.
Speaker 3: That's a wonderful question. You know, we invited into Harvard and we had a magnificent time when he was there. He gave a powerful speech, and you know, he put out two spoken word albums that were Grammy nominations. So the brother had an oratorical genius that was un And I never heard him necessarily use that word, but he certainly viewed himself as part of a tradition.
Speaker 4: Of a tradition of political activism, though he wouldn't necessarily use the word of himself being primarily an activist because he knew that he was being persecuted.
Speaker 3: He knew that they're trying to send him to jail. He knew they were trying to incarcerate him. Well that makes you an activist, I mean, it's just just just no way around it. Uh. And he was willing to go to jail, and he was willing to articulate and say quite clearly why he was willing to go to you know, based on what you know that the deep love he had for the people and the deep love he had expressed people all around the world very much.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, he was definitely beloved and he was a sight to see. Could you imagine if social media existed at the time that Muhammad Ali was at his peak. I mean, he is just he is just theater. You know, he's a he's a he's old. When it comes to that man you're talking about going viral as we described it, I mean, he wouldn't be. He's not superficial in that he was doing those things to go viral. But my god, that personality and that commitment to justice. I don't think that anybody quite quite like him in that regard in terms of kind of forecasting out what a Muhammad Ali type personality would have been able to do with the tools that we have at our disposal today.
Speaker 3: Exactly right. And people got to keep in mind that he was the most hated black man in America when he joined the Nation of Islam, and he refused to fight in Vietnam, and when he gave his critique of pharmacy and racial segregation and America and apartheid. The risk that he took was just beyond the scripture and to go from the most hated black man to at the end of his life, the most loved black man is a roller coaster. A roller coaster. Is really quite amazing how he was able to deal with that kind of shift taking place in the culture.
Speaker 1: And thanks for reminding us of that, doctor West, because sometimes we get caught up in the allure, in the final product of the person, but we and I'm including myself and that as well, don't often talk about what it took to get there. So, yes, he was considered unpatriotic, a hater of the country. You know, similar the things that they said about minister Malcolm X two or Fred Hampton or anybody that stands up against white supremacy. They are often labeled and then you get the folks to start to believe it. You know, Minister Malcolm X had a quote that said, the media can get you to love whom they will and hate whom they will. And you put that propaganda out not only the media, but you got the federal government itself. You got government working against these various freedom fighters to whether it's Rosa.
Speaker 2: Parks, it's all of them.
Speaker 1: Got to some extent, some to higher degree where government, the United States government was involved infiltrated and trying to take down black movements that sought to elevate and to liberate black people, and that is including the Nation of Islam. They poisoned the well within the Nation of Islam against Minister Malcolm X. They poisoned the weale. You know, Muhammad Ali and Minister Malcolm X were really close, and then they poisoned that well. So now Muhammad Ali is wrestling with his commitment and love for the Honorable Elijah Muhammad. Rightfully, so both of these men loved the Honorable Elijah Muhammad and then their relationship and they broke up that relationlationship by poisoning the well. And we do forget about that. Can you just go a little deeper into what I just laid out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think what that means that anybody who raises their voices, any set of people who raises their voices, are going to be criminalized, are going to be a subject to character assassination, literal assassination. It was. I mean, the security around Muhammad Ali was thick, not just under Nation of Islam, but everywhere he went because he was such a teller and he was eighth to the powers that be. Anytime one really speech to Frank's speech or plain speech, unintimidated speech that he had. You are eighth. And of course, the mechanisms of repression in which you have spies and operativism generating internal conflict within black liberation groups. It could be the Black Panther Party, yeah, legal Revolutionary Workers, it could be any group that's concerned with black liberation. You are going to have the FBI infiltrating with black folk, with black folk paying black folk. Very Oh, that's very very real. Pharaoh has a whole lot of different strategies in order to undermine the folk that's trying to engage in the accidents.
Speaker 2: Ooh dot, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I think Doctoranahata will be proud because I was whispering and pointing at you instead of talking, because we cut each other off because of the system. But you guys, I just want y'all to know I am a manning everything that doctor West is saying about that, and so we got to be cognizant of these variables, these.
Speaker 2: Forces that are at work.
Speaker 1: Because justice itself, the seeking of it, is never a straight line. It's never pretty, as a matter of fact, it's messy, it's bloody. It can depress you, oppress you like all.
Speaker 2: Of those things.
Speaker 1: And when we think about the word liberation and we think about the word justice, certainly we have higher minded thinking. We think beautiful thoughts about it because we're not thinking about the journey that it took to get to said justice place. And then to understand that it is never a destination, it's a journey because there's always an equal and opposite force trying to thought that justice that we just gained.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. That's why we got breakthroughs in backlashes, breakthroughs Nina Simms broke backlash blues. Lord have mercy. The Muhammad Ali would have understood that, because we have to deal breakthroughs in the sixties, the backlashes in the eighties. And if he were alive today, he would be raising his voice on television, on social media, his free self, his loving self, and would be telling some very deep truths about the gangster activity coming out of the White House.
Speaker 1: Nded, we need the spirit of Muhammad Ali at this time. I want to direct our audience dot to Ali Center dot org. That's Ali Center dot org. And they've done a beautiful, beautiful job of elevating on the elevating the life and the legacy of Muhammad Ali. You can go to the Ali Center dot org and they have like these beautiful collage pictures of him as a older man and under his name he championed the world.
Speaker 2: And I just want to read a portion of what.
Speaker 1: They have to say about the goats. If courage had to face, it would be the vestige of a man in full magnificent, magnificently complicated yet fully evolved, both myth mythic but real to touch. Courage would look like a world heavyweight champion, a contentious objector and activist, a diplomat, and a humanitarian. Courage would be Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 3: That's me, That's beauful God that merged. You know, I was blessed to be thesis adviser Mahamad Ali and son brother Jacob. Brother Jacob is a brilliant but it looks just like his grandfather too. And he's got a lot of integrity, honesty as well as brilliant. And just to reflecting on his grandfather, that sense of courage, the discipline. First, just winning the belt, everybody thought he was not gonna lose, he was gonna get knocked out, not in the next week, and the listener was knocking folk out daily. How's Muhammad Ali gonna get in that ring and even survive, let alone win. And he did it twice. So the level of sheer athletic excellence. And that's even before he becomes a more politically activist and so forth. It that we don't have a language for that level of what the Greeks called at a tay, which is excellent tied to the unity of vertu carriage in forty two. I mean, it's he really is a He's a very special brother. I was asked to introduce him in Atlanta by Tavis. Actually, Brother Tabs set up a beautiful event and I was asked to introduce a lead lord have me. I'm glad we got a picture of that. My brother was there, my blood brother Cliff was there too, and I just I just opened up my heart to that brother and he gave me the biggest hug. And I shall remember that as long as I live in Jason time and tell us repeat a game.
Speaker 2: Where were you?
Speaker 3: I was down in Atlanta. It was a gathering Brother Tavis put together. I forget exactly what it was. We were giving him an award, but I forget exactly what the event was, but it was the more public time I met him in the airport. I'd met him in Harvard when I was an undergrad, but I was much older now, and I talked about how he was right about the war, he was right about his critique of white supremacy. He was right about what it means to be a black man standing with unbelievable dignity and grace and style, and being true to yourself and lifting your voice and not being some cheap echo. And he got into it. Lord, he got into that introduction. I said, Lord, the spirit using me in front of my.
Speaker 1: Come on, doc, I'm telling you, doctor West, listen for all our family, everybody out there in the audience, and our friendemies, our friends and our friendemies.
Speaker 2: Doctor, you have some of the best stories.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you how blessed I consider myself to be able to be in this moment in time with you and just be regaled by the stories that you have to tell in terms of the experiences and the places and the spaces that you've been in. And I hope to be so blessed to be able to share some of my stories about my time with you to younger, younger generations. You know, we both were both young adjacent. I like to call myself younger Jason, and it's just it's that's a beautiful thing. And you know Ryan helps us out on these days, and I know for him is very edified. I'm sure he feels the way that I feel that I never thought in a million years somebody that I've admired from Afar for so long and reading your very first book, Race Matters.
Speaker 2: And how gracious you were.
Speaker 1: I mean, I tell this story all the time because that story means more to me, even in you and I being able to be on the trail together with Senator Bernie Sanders, but just the first impression and how humble you've always been, although you are internationally galactically renowned.
Speaker 2: That's what I like to call you.
Speaker 1: And to know that you're in the space with Muhammad Ali and you're feeling what I'm feeling about you. It really is just a beautiful thing. You and Muhammad Ali are definitely cut from the same cloth. That was a long way for me to say that part.
Speaker 3: What the truth is too, is that the folk who spend time with you will have all of those stories about you and your vision, your courage, your brilliant your sense of sacrifice, your service to the least of these, your consistency, and in terms of trying to deal with the absurdity of being black and a Marrick godo. Oh, folks, gonna have some stories.
Speaker 2: Hey, you bringing tears to my eyes here.
Speaker 1: Ryan is one of those younger people who he knows he's been charged. Tim and Tiffany and some others. They know they must keep our story alive. They must do this. So, oh my god, speaking of stories, you're listening to Truth Time with doctor Cornel West and Anina Turner. We are lifting up the life, the legacy, the earth shaking phenomenon himself that is none other than Muhammad Ali. When we come forward, we will continue this riveting discussion, is our teacher. In Thursday day and today, we are talking about the greatest of all time himself, the Goat, Muhammad al Lee, the heavyweight champion of the world, renowned as the greatest heavyweight champion of the twentieth century. And not only was he profound in the ring, he was a profound human being, flawed like the rest of us. Doctor West and I always bringing that forward about anybody that we're lifting up, because even people who are on the right mission at the right time are still flawed, just like we are. People are flawed. He was magnificent in his love for black people and his willingness to make a sacrifice and to speak up and to speak out. And he did not cower for anybody. And not only did he sacrifice once, he made those kind of sacrifices that had a ripple effect to his family. A lot of times when we talk about the individuals who make the sacrifices, we don't necessarily recognize that it's not just them, it's every in their orbit is impacted by the sacrifice that they just made to stand up for truth and justice.
Speaker 2: And so I want to bring forward a quote.
Speaker 1: About Muhammad Ali coming from the great comedian activism True Telling himself, Dick Gregory, and he once said, if people from outer space came to Earth and we had to give them one representative of our species to show them our physical prowess, our spirituality, our decency, our warmth, our kindness, our humor, and most of all our capacity to love, it would be Ali.
Speaker 3: My God, My God, My God, that's another free black man, Dick Gregory out of Saint Louis, Missouri. It could be said more eloquently than that, and they're better than that. But you know, the fascinating thing about that formulation is that the people coming from outside of this planet would be highly mislayed because that they thought that the other people on the planet were like Muhammad Ali. They would have a mis report, they'd have a full miss report because he would be representing the best. As Dick greg says, but Lord, get to the rest of us, they gonna be profoundly disappointed.
Speaker 1: Indeed, indeed, I mean that that that quote just encapsulates.
Speaker 3: That says it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he was channeling when he came up with that, but that.
Speaker 2: That was quite stunning.
Speaker 3: So how did you find that quote?
Speaker 1: That quote is on the Ali Ali Center dot Org. I mean they laid this out, this thing out.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want people to go there.
Speaker 1: The Ali Center itself is in Louisville, Kentucky, so if you're ever passing through, please go there. It's also where the Great Simmons College of Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Brother Kevin and Louis Brogan and all the other freedom fighters are there.
Speaker 1: They are there, Doctor Agues this Ali Center dot o RG. Go there and hear and read what they have taken the just the time to really encapsulate the spirit and the essence of Muhammad Ali. So one of the things also that that they put out is about his spirituality. Muhammad Ali's religion and spirituality defined his character and made an.
Speaker 2: Impact on the world.
Speaker 1: You were saying earlier in our discussion that the part of the essence of who he is definitely came from his parents and their spiritual leanings. Even though he converted, how he started is very much in him as well as how he ended.
Speaker 3: I think so. I think so. I mean the fact that he had been so deeply shaped by the Baptist Church, and the Baptist Church is not just an ecclesiastical institution, it is a spiritual and cultural center for black life. So even those who leave the church in the sense in which the church never leaves him, even those who break from the church take with them elements of that church in their break. And that's true for the honor of Elijah Muhammad, who himself was Revern Elijah Pool Baptist minister. And then meets Master Farad and the rest is history, so that that history is something that we all have into consideration, no matter what it's like Gladys Knight, Okay, she might be a Mormon now, but she comes out of Mount Moriah Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia, and you could feel that Baptist scibility shot through the genius of Gladys Knight, even though she's now left that particular denomination of going to another. So it was with Malcolm X. I think so even when he becomes Muslim, he carries with him his formation and his shaping in the Baptist Church. As he now you know, quite consciously liberately becomes a follower of Honibolage moment breaks from the Honibloge Mohamad and becomes an Orthodox Sunni Muslim.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, my dad, my dad is a Sunni Muslim as well.
Speaker 3: Magnificent father. I met him on many occasion I can testify to on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for that, Doc.
Speaker 1: And and just like just like Muhammad Ali, just like a minister Malcolm, my dad too was raised in a Baptist tradition and he still goes to Baptist churches to visit because that's his childhood. You know that's his upbringing from my from my grandmother. And I often joke with you, I call myself a bap to Costal because my mom went Pentecostal before she died, So I got both in me.
Speaker 2: Back to Costal is what I.
Speaker 1: Am, and I wrestle with that too, Doc, I mean the more knowledge and information that I receive as as a as a as a person still maturing and evolving in this thing called life.
Speaker 2: You know, I wrestled with religion.
Speaker 1: All the time, and and God and whether evil is winning on this earth. You know, I feel like that it is very day that evil is winning on this earth. I know in our religion were taught that the devil or the spirit of Satan is the prince of the earth, and the Prince of the earth is winning right now.
Speaker 3: I just oh to know doubt about that though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wrestle with that.
Speaker 3: Or influenced by a variety of different traditions. Nothing wrong but seeing the rich insights of Buddhism the way Bell Hooks did when she became a Buddhist, come out of the Black Baptist Church or of Judaism. We got a lot of Black Jews who've been shaped early on by a church and become followers of Judaism, you know Sammy Davis's juniors and so forth. Or you got Black Hindus Old Track, one of the great artistic figures of the twentieth century, not just wife or John Oldtran, but an artists in her own right who became a Hindu. There's a lot of different insights from a variety of different traditions. Traditional African religions have profound insights in this regard, you know what I mean. We've got to recognize that all of us are hybrid, all of us pulling from a variety of different traditions. We just have to be true to ourselves and come down where we come down.
Speaker 1: Hey man, thank you. I needed that clarity. We are all hybrids. And I think even Tina Turner herself when she started, you know, practicing.
Speaker 2: As well with the yeah, I'm just in deep thought.
Speaker 1: I did not necessarily know our conversation was gonna take us here. You're listening to Truth Time without the corner of us and needed Turner. You never know what's gonna pop off on on the teaching in Thursdays, we're talking about the one and only the greatest himself, Muhammed Ali. One of his quotes, although my religion would change later in my life, God was always in my heart. That is the essence of what we're talking about right now. When we come forward, we will continue our discussion. Thank you for coming forward with us on this teach in Thursday. If you are just not joining us, ooh, you are going to want to go back and listen to this from the beginning.
Speaker 2: You can do that by downloading the app.
Speaker 1: Kbla app, or listen to us wherever you get your podcast. Today we are lifting up the life and the legacy of the one and only Muhammad Ali. Certainly the greatest of all times. Yes he was, and so doc as we were coming forward, we were talking about his religious tradition. I think his mother was Methodist, father Baptist, or I might have those reverse, but he came up in that Christian tradition and then in the sixties he converted to Islam, and specifically the Black Muslims, led by the honorable Elijah Muhammad. He went before he got the name Muhammad Ali. And I think his brother right his brother was with him, I believe.
Speaker 2: Where they were taken to a meeting a meeting by with.
Speaker 1: The Nation of Islam, and then it just sparked something in him and he became a convert. His first name, though, was Casshiu's x before.
Speaker 3: Right, right, Yes, I think he was renamed by the Honorabilija Muhammad himself when he became Mohammed. You are absolutely right, and we should keep in mind. You know, that name, Cassius Marcellus Clay was the name of an abolitionist in Kentucky that goes back to the nineteenth century. I didn't know that m m hm, very very famous figure in the abolitionist movement. So his father was named that, and then his father named.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, yeah, I was gonna say, because he's junior. So how his father's parents deliberately named him. You know, within the West African at least tradition the naming ceremonies, they didn't just name their kids any old thing.
Speaker 2: We didn't changed that. We named babies Alas and don't even get it.
Speaker 1: Started out he named one of them all kinds of stuff. But there was a tradition to naming folks. And I love you know one since we're talking about names. One of my favorite debates that that Minister Malcolm X had is when he was debating this white guy about his name.
Speaker 2: What is his true name? What is his birth name? And he kept going.
Speaker 1: Back and forth.
Speaker 2: He's like, we don't know our true name. He said, you ain't gonna just tell me. He was like Malcolm X.
Speaker 1: He tried to get Minister Malcolm X to put that little out there, but he refused it. He's like, well, what was your father's name? He said, my father didn't know his name, God oh man. But all of that was steeped in him, coming from his voracious love for reading, and then what the Nation of Islam was able to do for him, and the same for Muhammad al Li. You know, you got these men who are already gifted and called to a purpose that's stirring inside of them. And then the different experiences and encounters that they were having. We're all of that, all of that up to the top.
Speaker 2: Doc.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, Lord, have mercy. Muhammad Ali once said that it was after I retired from boxing that my true work began.
Speaker 2: Letting us know. But we got many chapters before this thing is all over, many many many.
Speaker 1: Chapters before it is all said and done. Just love and love and loving Muhammed A.
Speaker 2: Lee.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Truth Time doctor Cordell West and and Nina Turner. We're talking about the earth shaking man himself, the goat, Muhammad Ali. When we come forward, we will continue this conversation. Listening to Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. Today is our teaching Thursday Day. We're lifting up the life, the legacy, the earth shattering, shaking man himself, Muhammad Ali. So that we were talking about his religion, his upbringing, how he started off in Christianity and then the Nation of Islam. You know, his conversion that did something for him as he continued his journey, not just as the greatest of all times in terms of his profession, which is boxing the sacrifices that he made, that real sacrifice or the real sacrifice.
Speaker 2: One of the real sacrifices.
Speaker 1: That he made was to be in opposition to the Vietnam War. So in nineteen sixty five, Muhammad Ali's draft class is changed after the US Army lower standards for the aptitude test score. So people had to take test, you have to score something, so they lowered it because they needed more people to be able to put into war. In February nineteen sixty six, one month before Muhammad Ali was set to fight Ernie Terrell in Chicago, Illinois, Ali stated that he had no interest in going to Vietnam to fight and express opposition to the war. The opposition angered the Illinois State Athletic Commission, who banned the fight from taking place.
Speaker 2: So now we see.
Speaker 1: Government injecting itself to thwart this man from standing up and having a righteous indignation against this war. I hope that our people who are with us are following what we say and dot this is not just individuals in disagreement with him. It is yet another example of how government, whether it's local. When we talked about the move the anniversary of the move bombing to state to federal, government injects itself into fourteen black people's ability to live as free thinking people.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. And of course, I mean the government has always played a crucial role in facilitating the assaults acts on black people, from the Supreme Court to Congress and presidents, and that long long legacy of weaponizing government to ensure the subjugation of black people. Jim Crow, then Jane Crow, can't pass anti lynching Bill don't want to come to terms with discrimination in a serious way for almost one hundred and some years. I mean, all of the issues reach a point that when Muhammad Ali emerges as the most famous black man on the planet. We're talking globally here galactically. Yeah, then the attacks in pensified, not just in the ring, but in the ring of life, in the ring of his stor rig And what does he do? He does little ropodope, what does he do? He gets even more resilient. What does he do? He has more resistance? What did he do? Got more language, got more smile, got more laugh got more love, got more memory, got more histor ying, and puts a smile on Jack Johnson's face, puts a smile on Marcus Garvey's face, puts a smile on W. B. Dubois's face.
Speaker 2: Yes he does. Doc, Oh my god, I cannot believe. We might have to do a part two to this. This is teaching Thursday. But doctor Cornel West and Nina Turner on true top. I want to end in the words of the man himself. If my mind can.
Speaker 1: Conceive it and my heart can't believe it, then I can achieve it to be a great champion. You must believe you are the best if you're or not, pretend you are. I am the greatest. I said that even before I knew I was. Oh my god, I absolutely blah love Muhammad Ali, the ghat the greatest of all time. Please visit Ali Center dot org a Lei Center dot org.
Speaker 2: We are lifting you up.
Speaker 1: Live your purpose, live on purpose, and remember titles are good for purposes.
Speaker 2: Better until next time.