Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll thank you very much. Long time for the hockey season, that's for sure. The Bruins, come on, Bruins got to do something. All right. Here's the deal. I'm reading my Boston Globe this morning. First I read the sports page, best sports page in America in my opinion, and then I go to the rest of the paper and I'm in the business section and I'm on page A page in my own Here, I'm on page five, B five Business five. This headline is Cape cod Worth the miserable traffic. What's that all about? Even after four sublime days in Chatham and on Nantucket a Globe writer isn't all that sure. Well, we invited the Globe wright to join us tonight, but you know he's Friday night, not available, no problem. So he talks about this trip that he took. He's he drives from the north Shore. Maybe he should be thinking more about Maine, I don't know, or New Hampshire. But he's driven from the north Shore and he ends up down in the down the Cape. He went out in Nantucket, which you know is a wonderful place to visit. He played golf with his buddies who were down there. So this fellow had a great time. He took a ferry over to Nantucket, stayed, had a bet an overnight in Chatham, early round of golf at Cranberry Valley in Harwich with his three old high school buddies. He said, a dream trip, an unforgettable experience, which goes to show you how bad the traffic was. Because I'm still on the fence about whether I would do it again. Wait a second, hold on, that's with was four days enough to justify the changed human I was when I crawled into my driveway five hours later, just barely. I think that's my line on the Cape and the islands. On the Cape and island sand, and a lot of healing has to happen to say it's definitive. I'm running this day after I got home, and I'm still recovering emotionally. Oh, Billy Baker, I feel sorry for you. First of all, you know, maybe the cape's too far away. You live on the north Shore. He didn't say where. He said he started on the north Shore. We spent some time in years past on Martha's vineyard, and I got to tell you. My heart was always in my throat to make the boat over to the vineyard. And when I got there, it was very crowded, I mean very crowded, and there were too many New Yorkers. I hate, I hate to say that, but it was like every car was from New York. And I didn't love the vineyard. Okay, probably my politics isn't isn't. Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, it's Martha's vinyard. Okay, it's in Martha's vineyard. There are a lot of the folks over there. The cape is much more me And maybe what Billy should do is spend a few trips to the vineyard and have your heart in your throat as you're trying to get to to the boat. And now I don't mind, I mean, would I prefer no traffic? Yeah, yeah, of course I'm not stupid. But if I have to wait an extra half an hour to get over the bridge, or ten minutes or fifteen or whatever, I'm down with that because I know I don't have to worry about a boat. If you miss the boat, you don't. You have no guaranteed. It's not like, oh I missed the boat. I'm ready I'm all set for the next boat. No, you go, or at least when I was going to the venue. You go to the to the lot, the stand by lot, and you get at the end of the stand by line, and if you've missed the boat by two minutes, that's it. Once you missed the boat, you've heard the phrase, I don't want to miss the boat. Okay, once you're on the boat, it's lovely. It's about you know, twenty five thirty forty minutes over. But you're going down and you come over the Sagamore Bridge or the Bourne Bridge, excuse me, and you're trying to you're trying to get down some of those back roads to get down a woods hole. It can really cause a lot out of anxiety. So my question to you is really simple. Those of you who have been to the Cape, whether you go down there for a week in the summer, or you go down for a weekend, or you're lucky enough to have somewhere that you can go down and spend the entire summer down there. Uh, it's well worth. It is Cape card worth. The miserable traffic first of all, the traffic after after traffic to the vineyard, Cape Guard traffics, nothing nothing six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I sure wish that Billy had joined us tonight on the show because he sounds like a great guy. But it took him. I think he said it took like two hours and forty five minutes to the north shore. That's not bad. I mean, it's it's going to be an hour fifty from he he left from harm which at noontime and he reached the Sagamore Bridge. Oh wait a second, no, okay, hold on his maps told him it'll be two hours and forty five minutes to the north shore. That wouldn't be bad. When he left Harwich at noon and told me the same He told him the same thing two hours later when he finally reached the Sagamore Bridge. Two hours from Harwich to Sagamore. It's thirty miles. That's that's a bit much. But what morning was it? Monday morning? I don't know, So I want to know your experiences and if you feel I don't know. I don't think there's one person who's gonna call me and say they're not going back to the Cape because of the traffic. I mean, I have no interest in going back to the venue, to be really honest with you. But would I go back, Yeah, I probably would, but I wouldn't take my car. I'd probably go over there and walk around Vineyard Haven or Oak Buffs and have lunch and get back of the boat and come home. Six month seven. The only line's open right now six month seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. So this is kind of like an informal pole informal pole time right here on Nightside, coming back right after these messages, we'll go to right to phone calls, I promise.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Billy Baker of the Globe rights how much is Cape? Is Cape worth this? How much Cape is required to make it worthwhile to go all the way down there knowing you're going to get tortured on the way home. A day trip is off the table. Incorrect answer, But so is a weekend. You're definitely going to hit traffic on Friday unless you leave very early or very late. Same goes for Sunday. Otherwise each of these rides could be hellish at A great Saturday in the Cape is not enough for me? To justify a gruesome Friday and Sunday. Sounds to me like Billy Billy's had a bad experience. Let's go to Joel down in Natick. Joel, what do you think is Billy getting a little cranky here? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: His story?
Speaker 4: Dan, Yeah, I have two weeks down the Cape of Timeshare. Okay, Saturday to Saturday, so we'll we do it's le Saturday evening because there's less traffic to get down to the cape.
Speaker 2: Good thinking, good thinking, and.
Speaker 4: All weeks are usually one easily a more day week or the week after the loll day and not told it's Columbus Day week or do we get the Columbus day.
Speaker 2: So you've already had one week, right.
Speaker 4: That's right. Let me tell you now, let me tell you. Okay, I don't mind the traffic, but I thing have bugs me the most. It's construction, Okay, yeah, because it looking worse than having traffic going through the direction because what they do is they cut the lanes down to one lane and either direction.
Speaker 2: I would like to think they could get the construction done October November, maybe a little bit in December, then shut it down for December January February, but when March comes, the snow's gone. They got March April in May or half of May. They could time that a lot her. You're absolutely right, Joe. That's a great suggestion. Next time we have someone from Governor Healey's Transportation Department on, we'll have to raise that point.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: One other thing, Dan, so we always make to go to the restaurants called seafood SAMs.
Speaker 2: Ever heard of seafood SAMs? Yeah? What town is that in?
Speaker 4: It's in Southing Harmlet.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have heard of that place.
Speaker 5: I haven't been there for part of it.
Speaker 4: Turn twenty eight. The clothes on Mondays but open every day in the other days in the week and have very good fresh pitch. Anyway, to get to that restaurant, we had to go in to the back entrance to get there, and they had a sign we are opened during this construction nightmare.
Speaker 2: Okay. I think you've sent a message loud and clear, Joe. But you think it's still worth it. That's the bottom line. Bill Baker says, it is it. He raises the question is it worth it? I assume you say yes, it's worth it. When once you get down there.
Speaker 4: It's worth it provided there's no construction going on the roads where you're staying.
Speaker 2: So it's so you say it's worth it with an asterisk. Okay.
Speaker 4: The problem. The problem was then we're going to go out one way out of the place we were staying. We stayed at a place opposite pirates called you heard.
Speaker 2: Yes, I never heard of Pirates Cove. I know where that is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Well, they had construction going in east east directions, but not the west. So if you're going to go east, you're gonna have chocolate problems. You go west, you don't have that many problems to only when you're going to try and get back. And then what they do is they have detour science for you to try to avoid all the construction.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm saying it's worth it with an asterisk. Joel and Natick, I'm so glad you had a great week in the late May, and you'll have the best weather of the summer in October. You know that.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 4: I hope you do too.
Speaker 2: All Right, I'll talk to you soon. Have a great one. Let me go to Patty and Wellesley. Patty, welcome back. Hi, I'm great I'm doing great, Patty, so wonderful to hear your voice. I love your voice.
Speaker 7: Happy summer. Oh me, you me, you talk to you.
Speaker 8: That's done.
Speaker 7: Listen to this. Okay, So tomorrow is the Beach Boys and my neighbor has the whole front row five thirty and eight thirty bullshows.
Speaker 2: Right, well, where where's where are the Beach Boys playing tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Night at the Mellory tenth.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I don't forget.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So Brian Wilson passed away, so it's going to be a you know, pretty memorable show, right.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, Well, Mike Mike Love is still is still out there every.
Speaker 7: Night, right, Yes, I'm Bruce too well.
Speaker 2: Love is one of the original five if I'm not mistaken, Yes.
Speaker 7: I'm Bruce as well. I don't know his last name.
Speaker 2: You know, my favorite Beach Boys song is Cocomo and you.
Speaker 7: Know John Stamos. Can you imagine if he's there, because he does a great Cocomo too. It's actually my favorite, is it?
Speaker 2: Okay? I told you were in the same same way, Blake, Patty, I'm.
Speaker 7: Telling you we're aligned by the hip.
Speaker 2: That's just what So you're gonna be are you driving down? I hope you're staying over in case that anybody has a drink or two.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, but I'm senior citizen. I've been drinking and at No, I'm just kidding. No, my husband is a designated driver. Is that Arnold Palmer guys? Okay, I'm a Tito girl.
Speaker 2: So it goes so waite like he can handle a couple of Arnold Palmer's and still take the wheel.
Speaker 7: No, Arnold Palmer saws alcohol.
Speaker 2: No, I know that. I know that. I'm only teasing you. Absolutely. I know what an Arnold Palmer's like, an iced tea.
Speaker 7: Right, Oh yeah, I didn't know if it had that you could get an Arnold Palmer with a zing or a zang. But this just straight up.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I get it. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. And you're you're Tito vodka.
Speaker 7: Tito on the rocks a splash eleven.
Speaker 2: That's vodka. Right.
Speaker 7: Yes, there's a great traveling companion. Yes, I can't travel without him.
Speaker 2: Love you even more, Patty, love you even more. Your husband's a lucky man.
Speaker 7: So listen, don here's the thing. I have to leave an hour and a half. Takes an hour and a half from Wellesley to Hyanna's right. So, but I work all day at a new little shop in Wellesley and then Sunday we can't sleep over because they're a swim Boston fashion show to have to come back that night to get ready.
Speaker 4: For a show.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, so your your front row beach Boys at the Melody Tent in Hyenas on Saturday night, Patty, I'm telling you people are going to who are going to be there are going to come looking for you. People who are listenings of mine tonight, who are gonna they're gonna look for Patty.
Speaker 6: But here's the thing done.
Speaker 7: Guess what what, There's gonna be traffic, and it's gonna suck, And I'm going to be sad because, you know what, as Dorothy said, there's no place like home, right, Yes, traffic. No one's in the city here, quiet right?
Speaker 2: Well quse what Dorothy said there? She was from Kansas, so there's no traffic in Kansas anyway, right?
Speaker 7: True that.
Speaker 2: I love your call, Patty. I love your calls. I really do think and have a blast. And when they when they sing cocomo, you got to think of me tomorrow night.
Speaker 7: Okay, I think of you even without a cocobo but I will think of you extra when cocobo comes and you know what, I'm going to tape record it and then I'm gonna email it to you.
Speaker 2: That sounds great. I'll look forward to be well. Uh and again you're blessed to have a designated driver. You can you can be ready, you can be ready for showtime. Man, it's gonna be great, gonna be great. Thanks, Patty.
Speaker 7: You might wring mad when all else fails. You're right on the side there.
Speaker 2: I would be with you any any time you need the help. You let me know.
Speaker 4: Okay, don't you worry.
Speaker 7: We'll have about time one day.
Speaker 2: You'll see, all right, Thanks Patty, talk soon. All right, thanks so much. Good bye. Let's keep rolling here. We're gonna get a bunch of folks in so Patty, obviously I didn't ask her the question, but she's gonna she is going to see the Beach Boys tomorrow night, and that's gonna be an incredible moment in time. Next up is John and framing him. Oh Joe, Joe and framing him. Hey Joe, welcome. How are you tonight?
Speaker 8: I'm doing pretty good. Danny, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. You got a tough act to follow with Patty here, So give it your best shot. Joe.
Speaker 4: She was, she was terrific.
Speaker 8: Listen. I was very upset about the article in the Globe. As a matter of fact, I retired a few years ago after spending thirty five years in the hotel advertising business, mostly kid card And first of all that article. Tourism is the second largest industry in the state of Massachusetts now on Cape Cord. It's not like that every day. It depends when you go. Fridays you have a tough coming home. Sundays are tough in the summertime, but it's not always like that. For example, my wife and I came back last week from Dennis Boy. We left Tuesday morning at eight thirty. We made it back to fending Him in under two hours from Dennis rat. So it always depends on when you go to the Cape. I mean, there's crowds wherever you go. If you got ninety three towards towards Laconia, for example, Jamma people start skiing, you're going to get a Jamma people. So that article was very, very depressing. As a matter of fact, one more thing, I sent that article over to a bunch of Cape Card Chamber of Commises. So let's see what they say about that. Why do they have to knock tourism. I don't understand it.
Speaker 2: I don't look. I mean, maybe he had a bad I didn't go over his itinerary, but he saw a lot in four days. He spent some time with his buddies overnight, and Chatham went over, went out to Nantucket. He saw it all, played golf at Cranberry Valley. I know who this Joe is now I caught your voice. You don't have to tell me because I know exactly soon as you said, advertising is my pal, a very good friend of mine. I'm so happy that you called. We're gonna I'm gonna have breakfast on Saturday morning with our mutual friend, and I'm gonna tell him I called in on Friday night.
Speaker 4: Be terrific.
Speaker 8: But like I said, it's it's to knock the tourism industry. Of course, it's crowded in the summertime, it's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Remember remember the remember the line from Yogi Bearer. Yogi said, no wonder nobody comes here, it's too crowded. Well that's kind of what is a Yogi Bearroism kind of works the same way for for tourism. The cape is beautif as far as I'm concerned, and it's so much easier to get to than Martha's Vineyard. I never missed the ball, but I got to tell you they were. There were days when it was touch and go, and your heart is in your throat, Oh my god, because once you miss it stand by line, there's no no priority, no priority whatsoever. It's great when the boat pulls away. And it's also great when the boat brings you home and your back on mainland Massachusetts. So great to hear your voice. Great, you sound great, problem you sound great? Will talk soon, all right.
Speaker 5: Thanks Joe, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny, you know when a friend of mine will listen and call, I'm delighted. Look, we got to take a quick break here the two five four line. They're full. Okay, I'm gonna get Anthony, John and Larry if you'd like to get through right now. Two lines open six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. It's simple. Six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Is the cape worth the trip? In my mind, no question what soever. It is always worth the trip. I think we're blessed to have the Cape. I truly believe that, and I hope, I hope to hear from here. And if you think it's not, if you agree with Billy Baker columns for the Globe, feel free. We invited Billy to come on. Hey, look, he had plans. I'm not gonna rip him. That's his opinion. He's a north Shore guy. Maybe if you maybe there's a geographic difference here. We heard from Joel from Natick, Patty from Wellesley, and Joe from framing him. Those are those are south of the Pike. Maybe that's the key. I don't know. Coming back, but we got Salem coming up, in New Bedford coming up, we'll see coming back. Right after the news at the bottom of the.
Speaker 1: Hour, you're on Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: The Redshawks are now down six zip in the eighth inning. So if you're watching the game, you can turn the game off and focus on Nightside. Let's go next too. Here we're going to next. We got John up in Salem. First guy from the north Shore. John, Welcome, How are you on Nightside? Oh? Where's John? Let's put John on hold and he's not ready Okay, We're going to go next to Larry, back down to the Cape. Larry, how are you? I am, well, Dan, Well you you live down the Cape, so I don't know if you're eligible to offer an opinion here, right.
Speaker 4: And I didn't live here all the time, I know, I.
Speaker 2: Know, only teasing you, Larry, go ahead, that's all right, that's all right.
Speaker 4: So people don't realize the people that rent houses like for a week. I want to take a whole week that's Saturday to Saturday. In my neighborhood, the time shares are Friday to Friday. Then you have the weekend warriors to come down Friday and leave Sunday. Right, So Friday, Saturday, Sunday, it's always a lot of traffic. When I was we've had my house now for oh my god, like thirty five years, and I had a business in Chelsea. So my wife was a teacher, so they moved down here for the summer. My kids grew up here, were lifeguards and worked in the restaurants, and I, instead of being a weekend Maria, I was fortunate enough that they had my own business. I would come down like maybe Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and there'd be no traffic. But the biggest complaint that we have. You know, I still have to leave Cape My doctors are up there. I had to go up to Burlington last week. But we're very, very frustrated that the state is taking so long to replace the bridges. The bridges were built for fifty year lifespan. They're already ninety years old.
Speaker 2: They needed they were built in the early in the mid nineteen thirties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, and so we know that they need to be replaced. So you're coming down Route three heading to the Sagamore Bridge. It narrows down to one lane as you're approaching the bridge, and the lanes are very narrow. Of a big truck in front of you if it gets pretty scary. Sure, So that's kint of the problem. So the secret is, Dan, you ready for this.
Speaker 2: I'm always.
Speaker 4: Okay. You got to take the tunnel.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I've died the tunnel a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you have a tunnel path, yeah, funnel path.
Speaker 2: You get it. I was able to get a tunnel pass correct. Yeah. And the traffic was very light, very.
Speaker 4: Very I have to tell you Cape Cod is so beautiful. That's why I live here. I have friends that come down here. Cape Cod is not just about the beaches. I mean, I live in Dennisport, Dennis the Tunnel. Dennist has eighteen beaches you can take. You can be in the Bay side, you can be on the Nantucket Sound side, and we have fresh water beaches. But I take my friends in the woods mountain biking and they go Larry, I never knew that Cape was like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, the Cape has a lot to offer. And by the way, in case anyone thought we were being serious, there is no tunnel there, though I do see some people have it, says Cape called tunnel pass. Yeah, who's selling those? But they're yeah, that's pretty creative.
Speaker 4: That's right. And I have in the back of my car Dennis Port will always be Exit nine, none of the Exit seventy six or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I know, yeah, you're absolutely right. It's so they changed all those signs about I guess four or five years ago, and at the time, I figured someone's making a lot of money on this, and I had no idea who was making them, who was scamming that, but it just was it was crazy. I loved you. Remember the signs that were on one twenty eight back. Oh, this has got to be fifteen years ago. You're now passing through the watershed area of whatever, you know, the Muddy River or whatever it was.
Speaker 5: It was like, I don't really know that.
Speaker 2: I don't really need to know that. I need to know what time I'm in. I need to know how far away the next exit is, but I don't need to know what aqua for I'm driving over.
Speaker 4: And the same thing is, I don't need to know what mild Mocker I'm at. And the highway everybody has GPS's and everybody has cell phones is really ridiculous. Cape Cod is beautiful. And if you want what people should say in the Dennis Portiera, because we never have to leave, I don't go over the bas River Bridge or the Herring River Bridge.
Speaker 5: Well I do.
Speaker 4: I stop at the star Market and Harwich souh. But this everything you need right here, he's got. I don't know how many restaurants. You have, so many beaches, that's the secret.
Speaker 2: Don't no question, no question. And you don't have to take a boat, which is the other No boats.
Speaker 5: The boats.
Speaker 2: The boats for me was always tough because I was I was always fearful that I was going to miss the boat, literally.
Speaker 4: But it keeps me frustrating when you when you're here for a week, you're so relaxed and you do have to fight the traffic you go home. I can understand why the guy was frustrated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I get that he only did four days, but it sounded like he had a great time. Did you have a chance to read the article? Did you have a chance to read the article in the Globe today or no? I think it was online.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was busy all day.
Speaker 2: He talked about that. He liked what he said, but the question was for him, is Cape Cod Worth the miserable traffic? And now the traffic's a little tough, but it's nothing like trying to get to that boat. If you make a mistake and you're trying to get to the ferry going over to the vineyard and you missed that ferry, who you go to the standby line? That's where you go, simple as simple as that, you know. Anyway, ferry always right here, you boys? Thank you? My friend with buck soon okay, all right, all right. All of a sudden we had packed lines. A couple of people dropped off. John wasn't there don't know where John was. He was up on the north Shore. He might have got discouraged. So I do have some open lines which I can get you in. I'm going to go to Anthony new Bedford in a second, but I have two lines at six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. If you've been dialing our six one seven, nine thirty, we're talking I'm talking about And if you're just by the way, if you're in the car right now, I'd love to hear from you, and let's find out from you. How what give me an on the scene traffic report. Billy Baker, a Globe staff writer, wrote a piece that appeared in the Globe today. The paper copy is Cape cod worth the miserable traffic. I think is well worth it, I really do. Even after four sublime days in Chatham and on Nantucket, Chatham is like you know, top shelf, right at the elbow of the Cape. Even after four sublime days in Chatham and on Nantucket, a Globe writer isn't all that sure. I think it was pretty clear that Billy, who comes from the north Shore, should be thinking about Maine and New Hampshire joining the conversation. Here it goes Anthony and New Bedford Anthony. Ever get over to the Cape.
Speaker 3: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'll do a great antheon. They you get to get over to the Cape, mauch, I assume you do.
Speaker 6: I go.
Speaker 3: I go to the Cape every weekend. And there's a place that I go to and it's just I don't know if I should say the name, but it's a nice restaurant. It's called Tomatoes. And then they got an and they got assist a restaurant to Matillios and they it's one's a Mexican restaurant. One's an Italian restaurant and delicious food, pre entertainment Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, got a huge dance floor and they got live entertainment, and and it's it's free. Like I said, if you go there, you eat the drinks. The staff is wonderful.
Speaker 2: I mean, so what town when you come from New Bedford, what town are you heading to?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 2: What part of the cap?
Speaker 3: It's in Sandwich, Maks. You go over the bridge over the over Yeah, you go over to Sagamore Bridge into Sandwich and I believe it's Route thirty two or something. And what a wonderful place. Every I go there every weekend. I make a point to go there. They got the big dance floor for dancing. I mean I love to dance, and they get the life entertainment.
Speaker 2: Do you take your wife? You love one? Are you going over there? Pick it up? When meet new people?
Speaker 3: When when my yeah, well I bring my wife all the time. When my kids come into town, I bring them up there. Any friends and family, I make sure they go there, and they always they all have a great time. And they have these two main singers. One of her names uh Colleen, and uh you got Colleen? And a number one singer. He's all over the place, Chops Turner and and they call him the voice of Massachusetts or whatever. And what a wonderful time.
Speaker 2: A lot. We have a lot of entertainers. Anthony who listened to Night Side, Steve Sweeney's always listening, the great blues Man, James Montgomery. There's some other folks who who I don't know nearly as well, who are out doing gigs on Friday night, and and they're listening the way home. I never mind plugging local talent.
Speaker 3: And they got, yes, they got Wednesday. They got Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and of course they got Sunday, but they got the breakfast, the brunch and stuff and everything. But the food is wonderful, wonderful.
Speaker 2: So how long is you right? Okay, Anthony, give me a quick I'm guessing you're an hour and twenty minutes max.
Speaker 5: Between out and no.
Speaker 3: Well, like I said, I go every Saturday, and they normally stop like seventh, seven thirty. I'll leave. I'll leave, you know a new benefit about seven thirty and I'm there by eight o'clock, eight ten, whoa, whoa, oh yeah, oh yeah, I'm telling you. I avoid all the traffic everything, and I have a a great time. And you know they're open to like eleven thirty and live entertainment, free entertainment.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, I think we're I think we've given good pluge to both places. They should set you up tomorrow night with a couple of.
Speaker 3: Beers away you Dan, Hey, Dan, you need to go try it and try the food, especially the bake stuff squad with seafood lops them in it. Oh my god, delicious.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, Anthony, Thanks so much for calling. If I heard from you before, is this your first time calling?
Speaker 3: That's my first time calling.
Speaker 2: Well, you got at because we want to give you a wrong lauch man. Let me tell you well, enjoy and enjoy and enjoy, Anthony, come on back. I love your passion. That's what I love in callers. Thank you so much, my friend.
Speaker 3: Maybe one day we'll see you out there. You never know, you'll never know.
Speaker 2: I'm around. I'm around. Thanks, Anthony, Be well, my friend, be well, have a good night you too. All right, all right, so this one line open at six one seven, four ten thirty. I got Dan and Easton, I got Al, who's on the way to the cave. I'm looking for order to see what Al has to say. And I got a line or two at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Well, let's finish strong. Oh two five four ten thirties full, No problem, We'll just keep going here. Let's finish strong because we will change topics beginning at ten o'clock.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's cape rolingh are going to go to Jennifer in Winchester. Hi, Jennifer, welcome back. How are you.
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 6: I'm a longtime fan and listener.
Speaker 2: Willie, is this your first time calling.
Speaker 6: It is my first time calling.
Speaker 2: For some reason, I thought I had a Jennifer from Winchester, but now I am certain of it.
Speaker 6: Welcome, Welcome, Oh, thank you Dan a huge fan. I was calling because I actually just zipped over, zipped over the Sagamore Bridge.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 6: I you said you want to to hear particularly from people on the road. Now I've you know, so you know, I've been coming down to Cape Cod for over forty five years and uh, you know, my my, my two senses. You just have to plan accordingly. I'm going to Purtuit tonight, so that's the old exit exit too, so you know, thank goodness, it's not like going way down to the end of the the uh.
Speaker 2: Or leads or town.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly exactly. And you know, so I think you just plan accordingly. I mean I literally kind of watched my Google Maps all afternoon and just you know, was watching to see when a good time would be to head out and left, you know, after the rush hour. You know, I'm fortunate enough to kind of be flexible about when I you know, take off and just head down here. And I just you know, I zipped right down here is an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: That Friday night. Well, I am by the way you once you get over the bridge, the busy reception kind of drops off. Unfortunately, I don't know what's going on. How how are we coming in over the car radio tonight?
Speaker 6: Well, I have to say to you that I'm actually using I'm watching. I'm listening to you through iHeart Radio because I love you. I love you so much that I like to I listen to you even when I'm traveling and in Europe or wherever.
Speaker 4: I you know, I like to listen.
Speaker 2: So yeah, oh you my heart here, Jennifer. I'm serious.
Speaker 4: No, it's true.
Speaker 6: No, it's true.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 6: Dan and uh my father used to as well. He was a big fan as well. You may have uh, you may have known him. He had a large role in the Fourth of July in Boston.
Speaker 5: Fourth of July.
Speaker 2: Oh, if he's who I'm thinking about, is he the big guy the fourth of July?
Speaker 5: He is the big was the big guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, very close. He's a very close friend of my former boss, Peter Casey, who I'm sure.
Speaker 6: Oh, yes, very very very close. Yeah, Peter is a dear friend and dad adores adored Peter. So but my family is a huge fan of yours now and always has been. And you know, we you know, like I said on your subject of what you were wondering about tonight, you know, the Cape. I did not know about this article and Globe. I definitely want to find it and read about it. My family has.
Speaker 4: Also had some.
Speaker 6: Interest in businesses down here, so over the years, you know, and and and I really hope people are not deterred, you know, by the traffic. I mean, you know, you just have to kind of you know, lump it or you know, you just kind of work it. And I could not agree with you more about the anxiety though about trying to catch a ferry Dad, I mean, that is just yeah, it's too much, you know.
Speaker 2: So it was fun. It was fun for a little while, but after after a while again everybody, I don't know if you want to identify your dad, but everybody should know O do it. Yeah, you go right ahead, you give him the good introduction this. Your dad was an amazing individual, obviously someone who was involved in the media, but had if it had not been for him and for Arthur Feeler, we never would have had the extravagancer of the fourth of July.
Speaker 6: On Yeah, my dad, David Mugar, Yeah, on the Esplanaut and he you know, he just is actually coming up on h Next year will be a big year because it's going to be the two hundred and fiftieth. And uh, my family continues, My family continues to sponsor just the fireworks portion of the event.
Speaker 2: That's a big part of the that's a big part of the event.
Speaker 4: Okay, So yes, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: What we're saying. Uh, Jennifer, I'm so happy that you called. And uh, I miss your dad. He was even though I never worked for him, he's he he influenced my life as well. And sometimes when i'm when I talk to you and I see you, I can tell you the story.
Speaker 6: I'd like to see you, Dan. Yeah, I'd love to see you sometime, you know, Dan, because I you know, I'm feeling really sad right now, missing him in partigure and you know this coming week is hard.
Speaker 2: And Rob will give you my cell phone number. Rob me, Jennifer my cell phone number, Okay, and give me a call anytime, Okay, Jennifer, thank you so much.
Speaker 6: And I'd love that. So the traffic's clear tonight, Dan, and I will I will get the information from Rob Rober.
Speaker 2: Don't hang up, Rob will give it to you right away the cell phone. Rob. Okay, that'd be best. Thank you much, Thanks Jennifer, let me go next. Al is also on his way to the Cape he al, where are you headed at this point?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm on ninety three. It's smooth sale and I just came through a beautiful city. It's always a pleasure. It's a blessing every time. But you do have to pick your battles. And if I'm stuck in traffic, I just kick back and drive like a trucker, is my motto.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, yeah, So where's your destination tonight?
Speaker 5: East Ham, which is overrun with poison ivy and greenheads. Yeah, I go up.
Speaker 2: I know east Ham, there's no doubt, no doubt. I know east Ham. So you got a little bit of a way. What's your GPS? Tell you a couple of hours at least? U?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got our twenty seven. I'll go buy play.
Speaker 2: That's great. That just what. We'll keep your company all the way. Fair enough, you just we'll get you. We'll get you there safe inside. El Thank you so much. Have you called before since your first time?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Second time?
Speaker 2: Second time. No applause for the second time, but I'm looking looking forward to the third time.
Speaker 5: There's one important piece of information. Even though it's smooth sailing, there's always a small pack of crazy, aggressive drivers that go zipping by. Drives me crazy, Me too, this day, me too.
Speaker 2: It's like, where where is it? Where's a state trooper when you need them? That's you know, exactly yeah, and they and not only I'm not talking about speeding. I'm not talking about somebody doing seventy or seventy five. I'm talking about weaving in out of traffic doing seventy and seven times.
Speaker 5: Absolute pet peeve, unsafe laying changes. It should be banned for everyone.
Speaker 2: Totally with you, Totally with you, Al, thank you so much. Great to hear your voice. Call again anytime. Okay, Yes, sir, tally helpman talk to you soon, Tally ho. Joe would play with Joe love to get you in one more in if you can do it in a minute. I got one other person who's kind of late as well. Go ahead, Joe.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 4: Since seventy five, my Palments took us in the stage.
Speaker 9: Dagon over Martin's Vineyard. We were looking for Quin's house, and all the other things, and they have taken anything away for the movie. Then when I turned seventeen back in seventy nine, we went down to Falmouth for the road race and we never never ran into any traffic. And then going to the Cape through the eighties and so forth, you know all the mill Hill Club and Papa Estonian and Jason, all these popular calude rascals and we never had any problem but targ of him back then. It'll family and my well, my boys down the Cape. I always traveled on off hours, you know, late at night.
Speaker 2: Got to be got to do that, Got to do that, Joe, I want to get Fred from framing him in for about twenty seconds. I thank you much for calling. Appreciate your participation tonight. We've got a great cross section of travelers. Have a great weekend, Joe, you too, Bay Bye bye. Okay, let me get Fred. I'm going to give you about thirty seconds. What can you do with it? You've called lake all right after? Go ahead, Fred, h dank. Just to let you know. I'm in the car on the way to k Excellent.
Speaker 3: We left Framingham around nine o'clock, so it's just about an hour gone now and we just passed through Plymouth.
Speaker 5: Well there's no traffic.
Speaker 2: Well guess what we're gonna we'll keep your company all the way. Where where's your destination tonight? What town are you heading to?
Speaker 5: Heading to Katuit?
Speaker 2: All right, well you're going to be close to where Jennifer is going to be tonight. So if you see Jennifer, say hello, Fred, We'll keep you company, okay, all the way to Katua tonight. Thanks, Thanks Fred, appreciate you're listening tonight, said this is your first time calling.
Speaker 4: Yes it is, Well, we had a bunch of first.
Speaker 2: Time calling, so we're going to give you a route the claws too from our digital studio audience. Thanks Fred, we'll talk again, I hope. Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: I hope so have a great one.
Speaker 2: Good night. Okay, that was a great week of back. We are going to talk about Donald Trump, who's in a bit of a role, had a couple of Supreme Court decisions today that I think he liked a lot. We're going to talk about the final day, the final decisions of this term of the US Supreme Court, and then at eleven tonight going to do a very special twentieth Hour. I want you to tell me something good that happened to you this week. Maybe the story of someone who helped you. I've got a story to tell, and I hope all of you do as well. Back on night Side, thanks to everyone who's listening.