Speaker 1: Hello, this is the Itchy and Bitchy Podcast because being itchy is bitchy and our medical system sucks. I'm doctor Keith Nolica, a vetnary, allergist and dermatologist.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen Miller, a doctor of nursing practice and a que care nurse practitioner.
Speaker 1: Send us your questions at ask at itch not dot com. We love you, but we're not your doctors. The information we discuss is not direct medical advice. Please talk to your provider who is the expert on your care. The Itchy and BITCHI podcast is sponsored by Doc Itchy Medical Pets supplements designed to optimize your pet's health with the latest veterinary medical research. Visit docchi dot com or find us on Amazon. Don't forget to send us your questions to ask at dot com. Welcome back as always. I hope you're safe and well. How are you care, Captain? Are you feeling safe and well? I am good, okay, So welcome to myself, doctor Milica and doctor Miller, and we are happy to be taking the reins from Karen nicol who's done a wonderful job, been a dear friend with us, and I know personally taught me quite a bit about optimizing medical care in humans, which I've tried to apply to animals.
Speaker 2: What do you think, doctor, Yeah, I mean I have had twenty six years of experience as a que care nurse practitioner and doctor of nursing practice in cardiology, and so a lot of experience with patients and healthcare system, both on the inpatient and the outpatient side, Lots and lots and lots of experience and observation.
Speaker 1: All right. And I've had thirty years of experience postgraduate school from veterinary school, teaching in four different universities, and clinical practice lecturing all over the world textbooks. So we're both tend to be a little bit ocd. I'll have some slight insomnia, so we're up late doing all sorts of activities, and we're also very curious. We also part of the premise of this is itchy and bitchy Dakichi, and I've been Docicchi since I was assistant professor at the University of Georgia and one of the assistants there named me that, so this kind of fits. Well, thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm right add that I am not bitchy.
Speaker 1: So you're not Doc bitchy, okay, but we are bitchy about the system. So that's what the today's topic is. The system sucks. And so one of the reasons we were very interested in helping Karen transition this and not just having her stop giving the wonderful information that she provides to all of the listeners is that the system really is broken and it really does suck. And so we have a lot of experience, five children, a lot of medical experience, highly educated with treatments and pathomechanisms, and it's just a crappy system. So we're going to talk about why the system sucks today and get all of our venting out and so from here on hopefully we can talk more about treatments and biomechanisms and why things happen the way they do and what you can do about it. But this is the bitchy episode. Are you ready, Doc? Yeah? Okay, So here we go. So the first thing I just think is absolutely horrible is that the system is unbelievably abusive. Our system in America is broken. If you look at other first world countries that are not perfect, but the overall experience and the quality of care for the cost us is a much better value added package. Currently, in our current system with insurance companies corporate hospital care, the only people that are really making significant profit profits are the CEOs, the CFOs, the c suite leaders of the corporations, and then maybe the investors that own the stock in the companies. Everyone else, the providers, the doctors, the nurses, the patients, the families, the staff members are all being abused by the system. It's just a horrible system. Like I said, you know, we have five kids. I'm almost fifty nine years old, so I've had a variety of health issues. I do have chronic migraines that have worsened in the years, and trying to navigate as a trained medical individual, trying to navigate the insurance system, the provider system to get medications for a chronic disease like migraines, It's just been horrible and abusive, and I've even thought about giving up several times. It's just crazy. And then I watch people like Steven Miller, doctor Miller here, you know, trying to do cardiology in a clinical setting, and the providers are being abused just as much as the patients are being abused. And it very often comes down to the insurance companies deciding what treatments they will or won't allow based on revenue and cost structure, and has nothing to do with the patient or the provider in the exam room. It's just a crazy system.
Speaker 2: I would also argue too, that the healthcare systems within hospital systems are getting abused at some level, and that's because we in the US don't have a minimum standard of care that we can agree upon between our illustrious politicians, and so we haven't established what the minimum of care is, and therefore the hospital systems are put in the diff place of providing care to all, you know, especially through the emergency departments in this and that, and so there are some subtleties of that that I would argue on the side of the system, even though I'm in the system and there are many days when I'm just utterly exhausted with the current system. So yes, the providers, the doctors and nurse practitioners and nurses are getting, you know, worked very hard and some many times under challenging circumstances to try to provide the best of care for people. So that can be challenging when you're held to standards of production when it's a for profit system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think one of the tendencies with my family and talking to friends and just kind of listening to the general public is to blame the provider because they're sort of of.
Speaker 2: The doctor the face of the right.
Speaker 1: So you know, the doctor won't let me do this, or the doctor does this, or the doctor does that. But I've watched doctor Miller here and he often will will go into start hospital rounds, aren't cardiology patients seven am? And then sometimes you know, be done with the day at five o'clock, but have to finish up clinics for another hour, hour and a half. And then how much time do you spend on your own time at home doing lab follow up or call?
Speaker 2: So I come home and I work many nights three hours sitting on the couch with my computer rolling through with the current electronic medical record, phone calls and messages and buckets. We call them buckets. And the buckets are like laboratory buckets and testing buckets and messages and this and that.
Speaker 1: So so you know, a lot of current work trends. One is that people can opt in for a four day week and they can do ten hour shifts or twelve hour shifts, which seem like a really really long time. Very often, I think you put in easily fifteen hours a day. Would you every day every day? And then when you're on call, you're on call every other month ish. And when you're on call, how many days in a row will you have done clinics and hospital rounds And what's the maximum like duration that you're every single day? Bam bam bam bad.
Speaker 2: So I call that a twelve day week, and so that's basically Monday through Friday clinic and then being on coverage for the weekend. And so, you know, you get pressed because of the burden of the work. You feel challenged to take your time off because there are so many people trying to get in to be seen and no spots to put them in. And it's become particularly were since COVID. So there was this post COVID analysis where we found that people sat on their care and then there's been this title wave that's come after COVID, and now clinics are strained and stressed because there aren't enough spaces to see all the patients. Number one, number two. There's this huge amount of retirement that's occurring among senior providers, nurses and doctors, and all of that plays into the fact that resources are a limited resource, and so you start to get squeezed. And then as the AI and you know, online information has become more available, people have become more demanding because they feel like they need now they've got all this in information on you know, the web, and so they message you at night with these very detailed messages that are really not appropriate for just a quick message through the EMR. And so most of those things really need an office visit to sit down and have a proper conversation and evaluation of their case.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you know, just imagine working fifteen hour days for twelve days in a row, and then next time you think that the provider is causing the problem, just you know, kind of ponder that for a minute. Okay, we're going to take a break and then we'll come back and we'll continue our little bitchy session here. All right, we're back, and this is the bitchy part of the Itchy and Bitchy Podcast. So Stephen, what's on your list?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think one thing I hear as a big frustration from a lot of page is the lack of integration of EMRs in our current system, and it's become a big issue because it's led to in efficiencies in communication between providers, inefficiencies and the sharing of the laboratory results, which then leads to higher cost of care because everybody needs their labs.
Speaker 1: And we actually do have a so EMR. We're talking electronic medical records.
Speaker 2: Or which are electronic health record. There are a couple of ways to refurther.
Speaker 1: So one of the big attempted developments was that if we had everything computerized, then all of the clinics, all of the hospitals, Medicare, Medicaid, could share the information and no matter where you went, your information would follow you. For optimal health care, that was the goal.
Speaker 2: And in the current health care system we are all sort of forced into utilization of electronic health records or electronic medical records, and that's all been very closely regulated through the US Department of Health and Human Services, which is really the central authority for health data interoperability, and so there are national standards that are set for those things, and so we're held to that standard and they oversee information exchange. There actually is an Office of Integration that is there, but they've been there for years and we're still not integrated, so that it's very, very very slow.
Speaker 1: So what are people frustrated about or what's your frustrated in the.
Speaker 2: Fact that they may go in the hospital and that's one medical record and show up in the office and I'm on another medical record and I can't get the hospital record that they had a different system, or they saw their primary care who was on one medical record and I'm on another medical record, or we might even be in the same medical record, and we have a situation where the data tables don't cross communicate, and so it's really layered and complex, but also has led to a lot of frustration, duplication and healthcare and just lack of collaboration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is also why for the last ten years five years especially, would go see a provider, they spend a lot of time typing into a computer or electronic device because they're entering information into the electronic record. And I think at least we use an EMR in the veterinary side as well, and ours is much more efficient and the human side because it's not regulated, so it just does what we need it to do. But it really can be a barrier to communication and relationship building, and then especially if it's not providing the efficiencies that it was really intended and designed to do, I can see how that would be really frustrating. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very frustrating when people go, for example, to their prime here and they get lipids done two months ago, and then they're coming to my office and I'm held accountable for the lipids since I'm cardiology, and so then I don't have the lipids, and so then we either have to track it down, track it down, have a nurse that call and get those results, which then puts a burden on our clinic, and then delay in care because I don't have them at that visit, and then I have to once I get them, I'm on the couch at night reviewing records and having to comment on their LDL. So it's just led to a lot of inefficiency in the system and massive frustration for patients.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if it was optimized, I think it could be much much better. And now the trend is and she may have a different opinion, but the last time I went in for my migraine headaches, the neurologist, I think it was actually a nurse practitioner, really really great guy, so thank you very much. But he used his phone and an AI app to record our conversation and then it would enter it into the electronic health record or medical record, and he didn't spend any time typing on the computer. And I found that experience really actually quite much more pleasant than just typing. But I think you've had problems with the AI bots and the accuracy with those, or what's your what's your issue with.
Speaker 2: The well So there's multiple issues, and so I certainly would disagree with you on the use of AI bots recording patient provider interactions and integrating conversations, and it's some of the issues are that it records a conversation and then every visit between every patient sounds basically exactly the same, and so there is a lack of individuality of the node, or at least it seems that way. The bots are inefficient. Sometimes they'll be down. Many times. You may like parts of what the bot says, maybe in the history of present illness, but you don't like what it does with the physical exam, so you have it do that in the exam room and then you have to go out of the exam room and spend time regenerating whatever part of the note. And if you're a good typer, and I think I'm a good typer, my air rates probably high. But you can do a bulleted note that's much more efficient and quick and integrated, and you don't have to go out of the exam room and spend another ten minutes undoing whatever the body did. And so it's the same thing that technology can be really really great, but it's not always the miracle answer that we hope it is. Well, and another frustration of the system is that all of these things are new, right, and so now theer you know, all these these bots are getting launched prematurely before they're optimized, and they're launched into these clinics, and so then you have the the reps for these bot companies who are coming to the providers wanting to learn from them how to make the bot better. So the providers are already stressed with their burden of workload and taking care of patients, but now we're spending our time educating the bot companies on how to make their bot better.
Speaker 1: And again this is kind of my point that the providers are truly getting abused in this situation too. So AI bots sound like a great idea. You know, if I were a CEO and organizational COEO, you know, it's like, oh my gosh, that would you know, make things so much more efficient and I could save twenty percent and all of these great statistics, and so I could push it downstream and have the providers required to use it. And suddenly, now that's you know, one more giant thing that's piled on.
Speaker 2: And this is across the board, you know, with now that we have remote monitoring with certain devices like pacemakers, defibrillators, this and that, and those companies have these systems that out there, and we try to use these across the board so that we can more efficiently take care patients. But then again here you have these companies coming to the provider in between visits or setting up meetings to have you come and teach them how to make their system better. And so the providers are getting so squeezed right now with technology improvement and should be yeah improvement, yeah, improvement, whereas you know, what we want and are good at is spending time with our patients and providing care on an individualized basis.
Speaker 1: So technology is a pet peeve a broken system. Okay, we're going to take another break and we'll be right back. All right, we're back. And one of my next issues that I have with the medical system relates to something that we were talking about before, and that's social media and doctor TikTok. Social media is not a doctor. It is not a provider. Chat and Claude and Xai are getting better and they're better than just doing a Google search. But one of the things that drives me absolutely crazy in my clinic, my own veterinary clinic, is that people will find something on social media, call it doctor TikTok, and they'll absolutely go down this rabbit hole. And some of the things are bizarre that you know, they're willing to give their dog or take something that's incredibly toxic instead of something that's much much safer that might be prescribed or an FDA approved drug, but since it's part of the government or some perceived formal system, they just have issues with it. So but they're replacing something that's much much safer and effective with something that's way more toxic. The other thing that I think is just crazy crazy to me is that if there's no biological mechanism for some of these things, and they're just downright dumb. They don't even make sense for someone that graduated middle school. So one of the things I came across recently is that if you take hydrogen peroxide, it'll increase your penile size, so it'll make your penis bigger. Well, we give hydrogen peroxide to dogs that ate garbage or toxic substances to make them vomit. So you can give, you know, a golden retriever a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and ten minutes later there's a big pile of vomit on the floor. So whoever came up with that, it was a big joke on whoever decided that they wanted to try it out, because that's not going to work out.
Speaker 2: Well again, I mean, I think the driving force for doing this podcast, at least on my part, was to be able to educate people about proper evidence that's out there, helping people know how to tease through evidence. So educating people about studies and how studies are done and what population size means. And you can find evidence for anything, but it's.
Speaker 1: Well evidence again in air quotes that one person said one thing or in veninary medicine. We have a big problem that six dogs did something, and six dogs is not statistically reliable, you know, So one quote, one patient, one experience does not mean that's the truth.
Speaker 2: Right, and so a study of one is not a valid study. It's a case study or a case representation, a case report.
Speaker 1: And which could be useful.
Speaker 2: It could be useful at the beginning leading to evaluation of something downstream. But again the issue comes in that people just don't know what to do with all of the evidence that's at their fingertip on their cell phone, which and they don't know how to integrate that into their care. And so when you have people that spend years of their life in their doctorate work or whatever learning about studies and adjudication of studies, and you're expecting someone who may or may not have those skill sets to interpret, then that's a.
Speaker 1: Lot Which brings me to one of your points that you mentioned and earlier, is that now both you and I in ventary medicine human messin are having to explain a lot more facts where before before we had Google especially, but now chats and TikTok. I really do think TikTok is a big issue. Why pick on TikTok, But we're having to explain things where before people patients are collients would just assume that we were the experts and trust our judgment, trust us, and we'd say, you know, this is the therapy or the diagnostics we need to do, and it was a very efficient process. And now because they did their research air quotes again, then we have to explain the biomechanisms and why we're suggesting and what the diagnostics are. And it's almost this mini course in whatever the diagnosis and disease processes, which takes up another huge amount of time, and.
Speaker 2: You're given fifteen minutes to see a patient or less because now you have medical system, so you're given fifteen minutes and sometimes you might even get double booked a fifteen minute slot. And so then you've got someone who wants to dive into the finer details of cortisol metabolism and you're trying to balance that with getting to how do we get you taken care of and stabilized and empowered to be in a good place health wise, and so it's it is challenging.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just drives me crazy.
Speaker 2: The exam room is not meant to be a college course. It's meant to seek the advice of an expert within their given field on a treatment plan for you and what your current health situation is and where you go from there, and just.
Speaker 1: Pay attention for just blatantly dumb ideas like hydrogen peroxide to make your penis bigger. Okay, we're going to take a break and we'll be right back. All right, We're back where their final pet peeve, So, Steven, what you got?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, I think that another frustration for many patients is the current payer system or insurance companies driving health care, healthcare insurance driving care and so like for example, when you got your migraine headache, that was a nightmare, yes so. And a lot of patients who have made their way through multiple, multiple, multiple multiple treatments hit this quote nightmare where a medication is recommended by their provider and then the insurance company or payer then puts them through the prior authorization process, and then you get denials, and then you get appeals, and then the provider on the back end of that is having in addition to all the many other things that we take care of, we're now late in the evening or in the middle of clinic trying to work in an on phone conversation with a peer to peer evaluation. And this has become ultimately frustrating for people. It's led to some block and access to care for people in ability to get met needed medications. And it's a frustration of our system. It's tied to for profit healthcare companies making their bottom line, but then also the cost of the pharmaceuticals that are out there, cost of care, and so but it is a frustration for patients and providers.
Speaker 1: So I've had at least three appointments for my migraine simply because the medications were not a by the insurance company, and for my migrants, which is a chronic disease. And I do understand this being medically trained that you know there are a lot of therapies and their different levels that you need to go through to make sure that something's safer, simpler, cheaper, is not going to be as effective or very effective rather than a twelve hundred dollars a month medication. But truly my medical list, I've had migraines since I was in college. I've been on thirty different medications over forty years, and I have that all documented and listed, and so for the insurance company to still at this point in time be arguing about did I do you know one drug versus another drug? And my whole thirty different medications have been very well documented with time correspondence, and it's just crazy and it's not even the provider has no control over this right.
Speaker 2: And then during our right now, with healthcare shifting so much, you're in insurance may change and then your provider has to change. So then you go see a new provider because now your old provider is not covered by your current plan, and your new provider doesn't have all that history in their not because they haven't seen you for a long all these.
Speaker 1: Year, which it goes back and.
Speaker 2: Then it just becomes this horrible circle of frustration for patients. And I would just encourage people to know it's frustrating and it's frustrating for providers, and we are all trying to figure this out and get patients what they need as quickly as we can get it for them.
Speaker 1: You know, talk to your politicians. The system's broken somehow, you know. The people that we interact with, the nurses, the providers, the doctors, even the insurance representative on the phone. They're not in control of any of this at all, and so don't take your frustrations out on those people. It really is a systematic propum and it really is just it's crazy. So all right, any final comments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I mean, I think that having said all these things, certainly we want to the system is broken, and the system does suck. There are many things about the system that are amazing. There are amazing providers out there who have spent their entire lives committed to doing what they do and to put themselves through all of these changes in healthcare is a testament to their skillfulness and their persistence and passion for taking care of people. And so I just hope that you all are able to find a provider who's willing and able to advocate for you in the constantly evolving and changing times in healthcare.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, with that, thank you for listening, and please please stay safe, stay well. Send us to your questions. We'd love to have feedback and have questions. We'll try to have every couple of months in a whole episode, just answering the questions that we receive. And you can send those questions to ask at itchnot dot com and don't forget to visit our sponsors dot itchy dot com. Thank you for joining us. This is the Itchy and Itchy Podcast. Don't forget to send us your questions to ask at itchnoth dot com