Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from k f I, A M six forty Nature.
Speaker 2: Talks about pontificates about pop culture, Ron and Report with Mark Rodner's.
Speaker 3: Tapping a Runner Report.
Speaker 4: Mark go, I had really been looking forward to Thunderbolt, and I'm not going to jerk you around.
Speaker 5: It does not disappoint. Okay, now you can listen to something else. Are you still here? All right? Here's some trailer to masticate.
Speaker 1: On letting.
Speaker 6: Beings the hero. There is no higher collect Your sister understood something about that I should come back for you. No, that's it's the fairy tale. I was in high school when the Avengers came. Kind of strange that it's all over now, no one's coming to save to day. I think we are.
Speaker 5: We can be the ones that are coming.
Speaker 6: Look, you have the wrong people. We have all done bad things.
Speaker 5: Look up there where you are.
Speaker 6: The past doesn't go away, so you can either live with that forever or you can do something about it.
Speaker 5: I am avoid.
Speaker 6: You are in. You can't tell. We're on the emptiness. They can't do this. No one there is a hero.
Speaker 5: We all have things that we regret, but I have so many. When I look at her, I don't see your mistics. That's probably need be too.
Speaker 6: We can't start there and alone, no one can, and we can find a way together. All Right.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna cut that a little short because we're running short on time here. I am a sucker for the kind of dirty dozen stories that involve corralling some bad guys to go on a good guy mission. And that's essentially what happens here. Bad guys, anti heroes, self redeemed former bad guys. Here's your roster. You got Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier. He started as Captain America's pal. He became a hydro assassin, snapped out of it, and is now a freshman congressman. In the movie, as it starts at Sebastian stan Yolena Belova, a black widow, sister of the Scarlett Johansson Natasha, black widow who got killed a few movies back. That's Florence Pugh, her Russian father, the Red Guardian. That's David Harbor from Stranger Things. He's the buffoonish gung ho comic relief in the movie. Also, most things just sound funnier with a Russian or Eastern European accent. Try it, I promise is good potato. There's John Walker, the disgraced ex brief Captain America replacement played by Wyatt Russell. He's kind of an exasperated a hole with none of the nobility that Chris Evans is Captain America radiated, and he seems to know it. Ghost played by Hannah John Kayman. She was an ant man in The Wasp, kind of the least memorable of the villain heroes. Here, she can turn invisible and phase through stuff, but she levels up a bit and has some good dialogue and some action moments. There's also a dorky guy named Bob played by Lewis Pullman, the son of Bill Pullman. He was in a pretty watchable remake of Stephen King Salem's Lot recently, and Bob has some issues that are going to turn into a major problem for everyone. There's Julia Louis Dreyfus. She returns as Valentina Allegrid de Fontaine, the unscrupulous manipulator from other Marble stuff. She's running the CIA now and facing impeachment hearings while she does more super manipulating, in this case trying to get all the loser semi heroes to off each other at first, and cultivating another super being who's more of a badass than all of them put together, and who's also really unstable. You could spend some quality nerd time going down the list of who you would like to be on the team. I kind of wish they'd brought in Zemo. Maybe it was just the scene of him dancing, but I've been on teams Zimo since the Falcon and the Winter Soldier series, and just to be clear, Zemo dancing righteous dance off at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy cringe, awful, terrible. Marvel's been hit and miss, especially recently, but Thunderbolts is no thor Love and Thunder or shang Chi or Wakanda Forever. It's lots of fun and it nails this mix of comedy and action that Marvel does best. The dialogue of all these misfits you have to work together's funny. The action scenes are well done, especially at the start of the movie with Yolena just plowing through a bunch of bad guys. They give Winter Soldier a supremely cool entrance on a motorcycle. After things have gotten going. That'll just make you wish he had a whole movie of his own. Ghost not so much. The director is Jake Shreyer, who's maybe known for the Netflix mini series Beef to the extent he's known at all to normal civilians. This is a huge leveling up for him, and I think he's going to be around for a while. The movie starts off with what seemed to me like a really sloppy bit of plotting. These super losers are initially all sent separately to a facility to kill each other by Valentina, which of course they don't do. This is some sub James Bond foolishness. Let me tie you to this chair and leave you unsupervised in this room. Nope, let's set them all up to fight and assume none of them will talk at all, say a word. I think the climactic segment of the movie is going to be polarizing, and I can't go into much detail about that without spoiling it. It wraps up the theme at the beginning of having to do with Elena the black widow, finding life meaningless and full of painful memories of things she's done. But the movie takes this left turn from the kind of super action you might expect into some arguably cheesy territory. It's not enough to ruin the movie, but you might find yourself sitting there thinking, Hey, did they really just solve that by doing that?
Speaker 5: Come on?
Speaker 4: And I can't prove the filmmakers are big Star Trek five fans, but an element of Thunderbolts is heavily reminiscent of that, involving all the major characters revisiting traumatic events from their past that shaped them. You definitely want to sit through all the credits because there are two extra scenes you won't want to miss, mostly the one at the very end of all the credits, which sets up some other cool stuff I will not spoil. That's all I'm going to say about Thunderbolts. One more quick bit of a nerd business. You probably never got around to seeing Hellboy the Crooked Man because almost no one did. It was the fourth film in the series with the third actor playing hell Boy, barely released in theaters, made a lot of two million bucks on a twenty million dollar budget, essentially dumped straight to vod I don't know why, and it is by far the best of the four. I don't understand why nobody's been talking about it, except that maybe people avoided it because it seemed like a failure, and that created kind of a fail spiral of avoidance. It's darker, much closer to the comics by Mike Manola, stays in the folk horror monster territory of his stories, and he co wrote it from one of his comic book stories. I caught it on Hulu and I've read that it's doing well there. I will say, Hellboy the Crooked Man is slightly cheaper, looking kind of like a CW show, and doesn't have the directing flare of the first two movies by Guerramo del Toro, but don't let that put you off. It's still better than both of his And between those two movies, Thunderbolts and hell Boy the Crooked Man, that's a few solid hours of nerd time that you could have spent knowing the touch of a woman mo the touch of a week.
Speaker 3: Yes, I saw Thunderbolts last night. I don't have as a review, so I'm not going to step on yours. I just said I liked it. I didn't love it. I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 5: I liked it.
Speaker 3: But you know, I liked Captain America Brave New World more so.
Speaker 4: I think it's kind of a photo finish between the two. Neither a perfect You heard what my complaints were, But I had a great time watching it.
Speaker 5: I was happy I went.
Speaker 4: I was happy I saw in a theater with other humans who were also not having sex.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that the couple, the nerd couple.
Speaker 4: Next to me might have gone home and gotten it on immediately, though they were very let's just say, demonstrative in the theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I don't like going to the theater anymore. This just too much going on.
Speaker 1: You're listening too Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty