Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: This is Travis Walton and you are listening to UFO Headquarters Beautiful Headquarters and welcome to another episode of UFO Headquarters dot Hudson Riverradio dot com. I'm Michael wardon with Linda Zimmerman. Linda, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm well. I came back from I know some favorite places of yours, Gettysburg and Antietam. Yes, so my Philip Battlefield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got to get all the particulars. So you got in a little late, right, Yes, yep.
Speaker 2: And I have some photos that send you, which she'll be happy about.
Speaker 1: Great, great, All right, Well, we're doing dust Bin of Ufology number three tonight. People love these where we just pull stories from all parts of history that really a lot of people don't know about. So, but you've got something to start us off with.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So a listener of the program who I had the opportunity to meet her and her family when they were in Port Jervis for other reasons, and had reached out to me with an incident that she's never talked about. And I'm not using her name because I don't know that if she wants her name used, but she wanted to tell me that back in nineteen eighty, when she was around eight years old, they lived in South Salem, New York.
Speaker 1: Oh I know it well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they had been there for about two and a half years, And she writes, I have a very clear memory of peeking out of the blinds in my bedroom one night and seeing a big, flat, stainless steel triangle as big as the house in the front yard, totally quiet. It had two to three blinking lights, green or yellow or maybe red. I shut the blind and peeked again. Still there. I laid there, scared, frozen in my bed and didn't want to move. That's all I remember. The whole thing was maybe five to ten minutes. I guess I fell asleep. Don't remember telling a soul until now. No lost time, but I did have an unusual spell of behaviors for me, like basically wanting to run away. Parents telling her she had an attitude. Now, she did attribute that that they were being preparing to move somewhere else, but it was unusual for her to act like that, and it seemed to coincide with the with the event. That's something I got in a follow up contact just to sort of clarify. So very interesting and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the two things, Yeah, the two things I take out of that is they're usually black triangles. I can't recall a stainless steel looking triangle.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also no missing time, but I guess I fell asleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I wonder. I didn't want to press that, but I will right follow up because that's one of the things I wondered about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great story. And they just you know, we're what how many years now, forty five years and still brand new stories are coming out. That's great.
Speaker 2: So I do appreciate that. And again, if you had an experience, reach out to reach out to the show, reach out to us, and you could be anonymous. We're not gonna put your name out there if you don't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if anyone else has silver metal metallic triangle sightings, I've heard gun metal, I've heard black, never heard you know, silvery silver. Yeah, excellent. All right, So we're going way back to start this dust Bin episode. I, as you know, I'm preaching to the choir. You and I love these old, old dusty books that we get these cases out of. We're going back to ancient Rome to fourteen BC, somebody chronicled that the forms of ships were seen over the in the sky over Rome. Okay, not the gods were riding chariots, not big birds. They're saying ships were in the sky over Rome. One seventy BC. At Lanuillum, which is how you pronounce it in Latin. It's where the current town of Lanvio is on the Appian Way. Don't you love that? One day when I was on the Appian Way, sixteen miles southeast of Rome, a remarkable spectacle of a fleet of ships was seen in the air. Okay, once you think, all right, someone had a little too much vino. But so there is something quite you know. I'm like, you're always looking for, Well, what rational reason could it have been? Back then, there is that thing Fata Morgana, which is a superior image mirage where when you're on the coast there can be temperature inversions and it looks like ships are floating above the water. Well, that's fine for the coast, but Lanuwium is twenty seven miles from the coast and there's mountains in between, so that doesn't that doesn't explain it. So, and then one o six BC it was recorded that a bird that flew in the sky and set houses on fire was seen in Rome.
Speaker 2: What that Yeah, I don't know what that would have been, but yeah, so houses on fire.
Speaker 1: Dripping, you know, exhaust fiery, exhaust dripping, you know, there's ships, we hear dripping molten metal. I don't know they were in a bad mood, all I know in ancient Rome there was there was some weird excrementum going on, shall we say to stick with our our Latin. I mean these were not Carthaginian weather balloons. Do you have any they.
Speaker 2: Could have been Carthaginian swamp gas?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean how do you explain that multiple?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's I'd want to go try to find the original sources that they used. But if taking a face value, if it's not along the coast, what are they seeing and that they're interpreting as ships that would have been, you know, consistent with their knowledge of the day. And I would point out too probably that the Aliens, if they were indeed from another planet, weren't even brave enough to face the Roman legions of the time, it seems by landing and challenging.
Speaker 1: Them, no, would you No? Yeah, So I just thought that was those were you know, like I said, when you see one isolated one and if someone was saying, you know, it's certainly not anything meteorological, you know, I don't think clouds would be seen as a fleet of ships.
Speaker 2: A fireball and yeah, through the air.
Speaker 1: And I don't see how it could be astronomical because they're not saying it was out in space. It was in the you know, seen in the sky over Rome. So very interesting. All right, there's let's skip ahead. A millennium. Roger of Wendover was a monk at Saint Albans Monastery.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: He was a chronicler, you know, he wrote down history and he wrote that in seven ninety six AD, small globes were seen circling the sun, which I'm trying to think of what astronomically or meteor you know, meteorologically that could be. So I'm like, you know, you're reading these old books and it's like, all right, was there a Roger of Wendover because sometimes people make things up, and yes, but the book that this was written in he wrote it in the year twelve thirty six. It was called Flowers of History. From the Descent of the Saxons to twelve thirty five AD. Like, wait a minute, it says Roger of Wendover is he's putting this event at seven ninety six, so he was not the witness. He was working from old manuscripts, so it didn't in the book I was reading it, it made it seem like in seven ninety six Roger Wendover, so he did write this, he was a monk chronicler. But I'd love to know what manuscript he was looking at, you know, what ancient manuscript where small globes were seen circling the sun? So yeah, I just love that they're so tantalizing, because what the heck, what the heck could it be? Why don't we take our first break and then we'll get into some more recent dust bins.
Speaker 2: Hudson River Radio dot com Hudson Riverradio dot com. Your mom likes us. Well, we're back from the interesting encounter there from England. I guess it would have been.
Speaker 1: Is that where yees St Albans round Over? Yeah, yeah, north of London St Albes. The globes around the sun, Yeah, not passing in front of the sun. They're saying, going around the sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like in orbit, which is interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so let's jump to nineteen thirty five Ethiopia. Everyone was nervous in October of thirty five because if you know your history, Italy was Invader Mussolini. I'm sure everybody's heard of him. He was. He was actually you know, everybody thinks the Nazis invented fascism. No, Mussolini, he was the of. He was the original fascist. Mussolini was the of and he wanted to take over Ethiopia. So everybody, as I said, everybody's a little nervous. There was a frenchman, Pierre is Shock I hope I'm pronouncing i c h ac. He was in the capital of Addis Ababa at the time. He was an engineer, a photographer, a set designer, a world traveler. He was. He was rather famous. You can you know, if you search his name, you'll find his photographs and he just you know, traveled the world. And there's this big crowd and everybody starts yelling it's the Italians, it's the Italians. So he looks over and everybody's pointing up at the sky yelling it's the Italians. Because they're afraid they're going to be bombed, so he looks up. It's definitely not the Italian Air Force. He said, it was a silver disk, motionless in the sky for a long time. It was hanging there for so long. Once people realized it wasn't dropping bombs, they lost interest and went away. But he had his camera and he tried to focus on it, and he said all it would have been was a tiny speck, so instead he took pictures of the crowd all pointing up. I'm trying to find those pictures. He said. It was definitely not a balloon, silver disc. Is it checking out what's going on in the you know, as Ethiopia is being invaded, and they did definitely have something to worry about because thirty thousand Ethiopians are estimated to have been killed in the Italian takeover. Of course, the Italian said it was just a few hundred, but you know, you know how that goes. So yeah, I mean, this guy's an engineer and a photographer, and he's like, yeah, not not anything I ever saw.
Speaker 2: And consistent with the timeframe, there would have been nothing dis shape that would have just hovered in the sky or you know, remained motionless up in the air for extended periods of time.
Speaker 1: Right, what is it exactly? So then we're just going a few years later to Morocco. Have you been there?
Speaker 2: No, not yet on your list, Yeah, it's on there somewhere.
Speaker 1: So nineteen forty two. So this I'm rather than summarized. I want to I want to just read. It's about a page and a half. So we're going to I'm gonna butcher these wallin which is situated in the Odra in Abnet. It's in the heart of the desert. Okay, we're in the desert and here it was an isolated fort near a well on the site of the ancient kas Ba. All right, we've heard of that, Okay, on the Kasba there, but out in the middle of the desert, and it was near a station for Soudan caravans, so they still had caravans across the desert. In nineteen forty two, a small detachment of ten camel riders. Do you love that? Ten camel riders, two radio operators, and a meteorologist named Martin. Well, these were French, so Martin comprised the garrison. This is a group of French soldiers there in the middle of the desert. You know, probably more worried about Nazis than Aliens. On April fourth, a group commanded by Captain Louis le Prier arrived from the south with the intention of staying three weeks. So again, are they making this up? I look up la Prier, very well known, highly decorated soldier, went on to command French troops in several wars. This is his own statement. We had been there a few days when one morning the meteorologists came in and drew my attention to a kind of planet which had appeared in the cloudless sky immediately above the fort. The object was visible to the naked eye and looked like a small aluminum speck. There were about forty of us, and we saw quite plainly, as the atmosphere was perfectly clear. When we examined it more closely through our field glasses and a telescope, the planet looked like a small moon or a five franc piece a coin. It had a pale metallic glint and seemed to be suspended at an altitude of fifteen to eighteen thousand feet. It appeared to be motionless, but prolonged examination with the telescope revealed that it was slowly rotating. We counted three complete revolutions in eight hours. So they're observing this thing for eight hours, just hanging there, rotating again. Nineteen forty two.
Speaker 2: That no moon, that's a battle station. That's I can't believe I beat you to it.
Speaker 1: Come on, Oh, well, time the next morning it was still there immediately overhead, and we began to take it for granted, assuming that it must be a stray star or a new satellite attracted by the gravitational pull of the Earth. Well, they were soldiers, they were not astronomers. But they're trying to you know, what the hell is this? And for at the time, flying saucers had not been heard of. Okay, so they have no frame of reference. They're not thinking, you know, from outer space. So here comes the explanation, the official explanation. So the captain sent a telegram to the national meteorological authorities and Algiers reporting exactly what had happened. They had been observing it for hours and hours and hours, and it's there basically a day and the next day. Algier's university was consulted. For some time later, it informed us that the object we had seen was nothing but the star vega okay, in broad daylight, rotating over their head. So the captain said, this explanation struck us as unexpected and improbable, as a star does not remain for two whole days in the same spot immediately overhead and so close is to be examined at leisure with an ordinary telescope. I have often wondered what could have been the nature and origin of the strange disc with its metallic gleam, and what could have caused it to remain in the sky above the Sahara landscape, where nothing of interest is to be seen part from our small fort. Was it the proximity of its shortwave transmitter or of the iron deposits uh nearby, which well have could could have been a source of great magnetic activity? Or was it merely due to the unaccepted, unaccountable workings of chance. So we have a short wave transmitter and we have very potent iron deposits nearby that this craft seems to be hanging over. But yeah, the star vega. To you go back to the Latin that we were using earlier. I think that explanation is a Taurus excrementum h So what do you think of that case?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, now we know where Project blue Book got their blueprint from. They found war records and someone had an air force remembered it and said, hey, I got a great idea. You know, we're just going to use venus instead of you know, bega. But yeah, a star in broad daylight in the same place. He before you even read it, I was thinking that. And you could see it with an ordinary telescope, right, and you could see it.
Speaker 1: The surface of it, and it's metallic.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, that's that's not a normal astronomical observation of a star. And you know you're an astronomer, you, I know you have cool telescopes and can see cool things. Yes. Have you ever seen a star rotating.
Speaker 1: That looks like a five franc piece?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Directly overhead? No?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: And that's the thing. It had to have surface features in order to realize it was rotating, right, right, If it was a shiny silver ball, you wouldn't be able to know, am I looking at the front the back because it would all look the same. So apparently there was some sort of features to it as well. And as I said, you can look up this captain, long, long, storied history. It would not have behooved him to put this story out.
Speaker 2: No yet two right nineteen middle in the middle of World War two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the Sahara French.
Speaker 2: Well, the French are under occupation, you know, like right, he's going to just decide to randomly generate a fake Like no, that's it doesn't pass their their excuse doesn't.
Speaker 1: Pass the no test, the excrementum test. Yeah, it doesn't failed.
Speaker 2: Excrementum bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what that reminded me of, As we've spoken about this before. On October eighteenth, twenty twelve, in the Hudson Valley, witnesses up and down the Hudson Valley hours were filming a bright metallic cylinder. We've had somebody on the show who video taped it and described it as a telephone pole wrapped in aluminum foil. There was high winds that day and it was just hanging in the sky and a man who was a pilot and he was an aerial videographer. This is what he did for a living. He filmed this thing for two hours and was trying to get you know, he's calling air traffic control in the FAA and no one was interested. You have a giant metallic cylinder just hanging in the sky in you know, the Hudson Valley has a lot of air traffic from all their airports. It was a hazard, but nobody seemed to be interested. So again multiple well, they had over forty witnesses. They're looking at it through a telescope. It's in the same spot the next day. This one in the Hudson Valley lasted about four hours. But still when five seconds of seeing a UFO will, you know, can change your life. Something hanging over us for four hours, it's And so.
Speaker 2: One more observation is their initial thought was that it wasn't even anything to do with intelligence. It was something got trapped, you know, some kind of a foreign body.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, asteroid, right right, right.
Speaker 2: But still defy explanation to just hover in one spot and rotate. But you know, it's not like they're going out claiming they're seeing aliens. In observation is something that this is an odd phenomenon. What is this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, to then give a very detailed description and to get that excuse back. It's so you know, we like to think that stupid excuses are a modern thing now, they've they've been a law around the all that time. But to be able to compare something that happened in the middle of the Sahara in forty two with something that happened in the Hudson Valley in twenty twelve, it's it's pretty remarkable. So why don't we take our second break and then we're going to be root. This is Hudson River Radio dot com, your local Rockland County station. This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: So we're back, and I'm still hung up on the excuse from the last encounter we discussed in the excrement tests, and I'm thinking in Latin we would just have to call it stinkus maximus or something. I don't know's it's baffling because we're so used to hearing the venus excuse, for example, so often cited in the Project blue Book files, and here it is, you know, pre dating Project Bluebook, and someone not even a witness or someone who investigated it, to someone who got their reports from a credible source you would expect, and then their interpretation of it is it's got to be the star.
Speaker 1: In the middle of the bright sunshine.
Speaker 2: Cloudless sky, right, like I would love to know the mental gymnastics they went through to get to that conclusion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and why even bother trying to put out why not say we don't know, we you know, we had no other reports. We can't tell you what it is. Don't say something stupid, because that just makes it worse, right exactly, So all right, we are going to Bairut Lebanon. There is another engineer I love, engineer, pilot scientist, reports M Philippe d'orse. He was installing radio and electronic equipment at Bayroot Airport in nineteen fifty three. This is February of nineteen fifty three. So the war is over. They're building an airport. They're you know, modernizing and building an airport. So on February twenty eighth, at six forty pm, Bay Root time, Okay, that that's a good time to do it, since you're in Bay Route. I was just leaving my room with a box of Coda chrome films, which I intended to show my neighbors. The room looks out on a terrace with an uninterrupted view about one hundred and thirty feet above sea level. I had a range of vision of about seventy degrees. It was a rather dark night, and the stars were somewhat obscured by a slight mist. My attention was attracted by a luminous object right in front of me, some twenty degrees above the horizon. I see aircraft passing there almost every day, and it seemed to me about the spot where the aircraft turned before coming into the Beirut airfield. What struck me most about this object was its vivid crimson light, much bigger than the ordinary lights of aircraft. I looked intently for some time and noticed what I saw was not the usual blinking lights green and white, which aircraft display in the vicinity of the airport. The light traveled calmly towards the horizon like an airplane, at an altitude of about two thousand feet. I thought for a moment that it might be some aircraft in difficulties, like the engine on fire perhaps, except that it was moving away at steadily. My curiosity thoroughly aroused. I walked down the hill to my neighbor's home. Now these were just not typical neighbors. This home was had four professors living in it, all right, So we have an engineer and four professors, and he said, would you like to see a flying saucer? I said jokingly to them. My neighbors smiled and assented, and we went out onto the steps. To our surprise, we saw that two more of the mysterious objects had appeared on the scene. The original visitor, now farthest away, resembled a reddish star, and it was being followed by two others, one at the zenith and the other in the middle distance. The one overhead was much easier to distinguish. Its color was the same as the others. A vivid orange red disc of fairly sharp defined outline. Okay, this isn't a hazy blob of light that he can't tell what it is, a sharply defined disc. The objects passed immediately overhead, traveling on a straight course about ten degrees northeast. Their distance apart, apparently uniform, enabled us to see three or four in a line at the same time, the nearest being overhead and the farthest about ten degrees above the horizon. It took each object about three minutes to travel from straight overhead to the horizon. I would say that the apparent diameter of each object when passed overhead was between one fifth and one tenth the apparent diameter of the full moon. I hurried up to my room to touch to fetch my ten by forty five binoculars. I was able to observe several objects for a considerable time. All appeared alike magnified in my binoculars. Each object looked like a reddish orange disc giving out a very bright light. The contour was quite distinct. We saw ten objects passing on such a trajectory, and two on a trajectory which seemed to be parallel to our right and about ten degrees above the horizon. None of us heard any engine noise at the time, or the whistling sound of something passing at high speed through the atmosphere. Yet we could hear a pin drop. The last object was seen at seven pm, So this was a twenty minute parade of red discs seen by an engineer and four professors. I think, you know, you could spend a lot of time breaking down this and charting it, you know, exactly, very succinct, amazing observations. I think this is a fabulous, fabulous sighting.
Speaker 2: Well you could tell by the way the report is even the way they explain what they what he's seeing is very scientifically reported. You know, he's not drying conclusion of what it could be. He's simply reporting this is what I've seen. His detail is great, you know that it's defined versus like you said, this isn't a fuzzy blob which could be anything. Is this something that you could see? It's defined, it's got contour, it's got you know, it's moving.
Speaker 1: And he had time to roar these. Yes, he ran and got his binoculars, and is you know, seeing it through binoculars and he works at an airport. You know. He even said there was no green and white you know, regular lights. These were not regular aircraft lights. These were not regular aircraft. So what in nineteen fifty three over the skies over be route ten of them, you know, and he said, uniformly spaced. It's just it's just a you know, this isn't something that whizzed overhead. And what did I just see right right? You know?
Speaker 2: He had Yeah, he had time to observe this and make twenty notations. Yeah, that's and kept his calm and cool, you know, kept himself calm and cool and collected enough to go get his binoculars to make these observations. And again he works in an airport. He's not going to mistake and there's not a lot of aircraft in the sky in nineteen fifty two like it is today. We got to remember at the time, you know, commercial aviation was not.
Speaker 1: Quite what it is, especially probably in Beay Roots, right.
Speaker 2: So you know, today, I think it's a little easier to mistake things in the sky as being UFO, especially where like you mentioned, we're in Hutson Valley and there is always an airplane somewhere overhead in the distance, you can almost always see a light moving, But nineteen fifty two bea route probably not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was very impressed by this sighting, you know, the description, the caliber of the witnesses, and you know, we don't often look at sightings in different parts of the world, you know, we we kind of rehash the same you know, popular sightings in the US. And I think it's important to go go back and dig into that dust bin and pull these gems out. So that's that's that's my dust for us.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe it's more like gold dust bin, you know those specs of yeah, gold hidden because you're right, we we and I think it's just in any field, it's easier to focus on the much more well known locations where the reports are much more plentiful. And when you start seeing these obscure reports out of locations which we don't typically associate with UFOs, you know, those types of observations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it just I think it just strengthens the whole credibility of the field because you see thousands of years around the world, credible people having these observations. And I think they're even better because you know, it wasn't you know, in Morocco in forty two, it wasn't skunk works, you know, stealth aircraft, all the things it could not be in those earlier sightings. And I still want to know what that bird was doing flying around Rome setting houses on fire.
Speaker 2: It was the phoenix, right, was that the bird? Yeah? Right right?
Speaker 1: It rose from the ashes. He was creating the ashes.
Speaker 2: But you made a good point to the you know, the I think any of the Free Space Race observations are great too, because you know, there's nothing man made, or shouldn't be anything man made outside of our you know, orbiting in the sky that high, right, So the many you start seeing things in the air before that, and then you go back even further before aviation, before we even had flight before balloon, so ancient rome. What what are they seeing that they're thinking? Are sky ships right or chips in the sky?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that's it. We do want to hear your cases still, you know, like that great one that Mike told us. First thing I have. I'm going to be putting a whole episode together on someone told me recently who had never spoken out before early eighties at a summer camp things happened. You know, maybe I'll put that out as the next episode before everybody sends their kids to summer camp, because out nothing good seems to happen at night in summer camp.
Speaker 2: We'll be getting thousands of seasons assist letters from throughout the country.
Speaker 1: But uh so bring us out, Mike.
Speaker 2: Well, we want to thank you for listening to another really cool episode of a dustbin of New Apology. Although I think their goal dust again, I'm gonna stick with that one. And again, if you have your own encounters, your own sightings, feel free to share them. We guarantee them. If you want to remain anonymous, you can do so. If you hear to us, listen to all of our ROLD shows. If you've been with us for a long time, but we really appreciate your continuous support and listening to or so on the half both of us. Keep your eyes on the sky. This is Hudson River Radio dot com.