Speaker 1: We're counting down to Wimbledon twenty twenty five and with only days to go now, British Tennis Overlord Marcus Willis on the other side of the microphone to me, is preparing for more battles at s W nineteen. I'm dave El and when we started this, both Marcus and I said, we are so busy. We're going to be trying to speak every day and the audio quality might not be the best and we will resume proper content afterwards, but we didn't want to miss a day. So apologies if it doesn't sound like you're listening to the BBC Marcus, how are you mate? Where are you?
Speaker 2: I am very good. I am at Stoke Park Boodles for the last warm up match before Wimbledom.
Speaker 1: And who are your victims today?
Speaker 2: My Aravella and Bapartner Again. I'm sure they'll be wanting they'll be wanting revenge for the other day.
Speaker 1: It's a shame, isn't it that you like? Is there not a can you mix up the club session style? Spin the rackets?
Speaker 2: I would, yeah, but it's fine. It's it's good for me, so you don't really get tougher opponents than that, so.
Speaker 1: Not for sure.
Speaker 2: So it's good, it's good preparation. It's a good, good bit of fun as well.
Speaker 1: What since the last time we spoke, the drawer is now out for Wimbledon. So would you like to just remind us who you've got.
Speaker 2: And we have got slash a slash A Public and Flavio Chibali. Yeah, difficult obviously, Bublic's playing pretty good tennis right now and Chibblis are very very good tennis purer as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we're talking to fifty singles, aren't we. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Public's seeded and seeded in the singles this year and and Chibi's year around about thirty. So yeah that they're good players. They're good players, and it'll be tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you prefer so I would see them primarily as singles players who are then boosting their ATP points by playing the doubles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bit more money for them, They don't really they can get in on their singles ranking, which they have, and they're kind of they're not carefree, but if they lose, it's not the end of the world. So they can be very dangerous, you know, they'll go for things that you won't wouldn't expect. They've obviously public's very very talented, probably going to underarm tur of me and make me look like a mug. But there we go. It's just you get different challenges, different challenges with different pairs.
Speaker 1: Don't let anyone make you look like you will make yourself look like a mug. Don't anybody influence that that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what.
Speaker 1: When you would you prefer to play double specialists over single specialists.
Speaker 2: Though depends which double specialist you're talking about. You know, if we get through, if we get through that one, we're playing Hilliovara and Pattern who won last year and one Aussie this year, so that's not really ideal either. But you know, again, different challenges. If you play play and established doubles pair at Winded and who went on their own ranking that they're very good at what they do as well. So it's just it's just going to look different and you have to react more against singles. Pare doubles skuis are a bit more predictable, but you know, very solid around the net, so there's not as many gaps. But you know, singles guys tend to serve bigger hit the ball in different places, you know, not cover the net as well down the middle, but hang further back, so the lob might not work as well. So yeah, it's it's really tough to have to. I find it tough playing you know, a pair one day and then a different pair of the necks. You have to really adapt and be on it tactically without going into also pilot.
Speaker 1: Really yeah. I mean I was watching US Open doubles last year and there's quite a lot of singles players around that Coulter Finals stage and watching them, the singles players, they're they're both back a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as I said, it's different. They hit the ball bigger from the back. They're probably a bit more accurate, consistent, life less awkward, but more power. I mean, it's much tougher to get into that. Their service games just differently. Absolutely welly the born and yeah, it's going to have its challenges for sure.
Speaker 1: When when we were preparing for today, I was looking online for statistics because as part of my day to day coaching, I use these statistics from WTA or ATP to give a perspective to the players that I'm coaching about what is success and expectations in our sport, et cetera. Because I don't think it's until you realize that Alcaraz is the best returner in the world, but he only wins thirty percent of his first serve returns. Point yeah yeah, So, like I mean, if somebody is losing seven out of ten times, it's rare that they're so brilliant in others small.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but thirty percent to me sounds really good. I'd kild for yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Double. So I was looking and I thought, oh, do you know what I'll do. I'll nerd up on a few double stats about your opponents, because then we can talk about in integrity of the match and possible patterns of playing stuff. There's nothing on there.
Speaker 2: No, that's a that's a you can't really scout. And the problem with singles guys is that they don't have set plays because they don't really play together much. But with doubles guys you can see on big points where they like to serve, where they like to move, but singles guys can obviously everyone can serve everywhere, but there's just you have to be more reactive. As I said, like it's you know, you have to be quite thick skinned about how many balls fly past you or at your chest or in your nuts or stuff like that. It's it's a completely different game. You have to be reactive and and yeah, they'll probably mess up some volleys and stuff like that, but you know, you get into long rallies with them and they're they're good at that. You know, you have to try and be punchy, but deal with a faster ball on average, I'd say.
Speaker 1: I mean, one thing I've noticed, and I'm sure lots of people out there have watched the Labor Cup, and when Nadal is playing doubles, he's just covering the tram lines far more than a doubles player would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doubles as well. It was it was difficult because when you when you serve volley and singles, you tend to come towards the middle ish of the court. And I found myself doing that recently. You know, a coach had highlighted a few things. I'm still even after playing doubles for two years, I'm still coming to the middle of the court sometimes, right, And for a guy that never plays doubles, you're going to be yeah, you're going to be covering, you know, if someone serves out wide on the jews, you're gonna be still in the tram lines because that's where the ball might come, yeah, rather than squeezing the middle like the good doubles first too.
Speaker 1: So I mean, are you going in with some rough ideas? Do you get to do you speak to anyone else as well and just say what we expecting of them or anything like that? Is there like a little rumor mel when within the changes?
Speaker 2: Not really, not not with singles, guys. I mean, do you know where public likes to serve? I mean, I think he can serve anywhere. That's the thing he doesn't really have from from what I know and understand, I don't think you know they do. They do set plays and singles. You know, it's it's it's a difficult one. And you don't know also how their singles is going, how serious they're going to be as well, which also can be dangerous if they're if they're out there having a laugh for nothing to lose, and you know, hitting shots that they don't really care about, that can be quite frustrating. So there isn't really anything we can we can look at too much.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got a little reflection on that. Many years ago, I spoke to a top American player. It was in a previous career and I interviewed a top American player and he entered the doubles and a mixed because he said that he is paid for his accommodation for three weeks, and if he goes out second round of the singles, the doubles justifies him spending out for the accommodation mm hm. And he did lose early and then he went all in on the doubles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the danger you have as well, and especially up first round. They're gonna they're going to be there, they're going to be playing. What you tend to see with singles players is if they're doing well in singles, in the second or third round doubles, they just pull out and rest, you know. So it's good sometimes if you get to second, third round and you're playing singles guys and they're still in or invested, and that they they're not as interested. You know, you get some animals who play play both and just give it one hundred and ten. Yeah, but yeah, no, it is worth doing for I mean, it's it's ten grand to turn up. It's not many players will scoff at that. You know, the top the top twenty don't tend to do it because you know they're making enough cash and ten around to them. You know, not a lot. But I just I mean, even when I was playing singles, I just enjoyed doubles as well. I enjoyed playing tennis. That was That was me. But a lot of players, yeah, players are different. But you get a lot of guys between thirty and fifty in the world who will turn up, you know, and if they do lose some singles, they give it a go in the doubles. It's wimbleding as well. Players players love wimbleding.
Speaker 1: So is it what kind of draw is it? From like one to four? If four was the dream draw, then one is a nightmare. Where does it rank?
Speaker 2: I'd say two probably. Yeah. Last year we got Passell Thompson who went on to lose in the final, yeah, and win the US I think they won. That was first up. But obviously we got a very difficult match to them play last year's champions. So it's not it's not ideal, but you know, at least we're not playing you know, them first round, and you know, if we can get through, we'll obviously be playing well and have a bit of rhythm, and they're the matches you want to play. I can't really, I can't really complain, you know, I'm playing it. I don't think there's any There's a couple of draws in there. You get a couple of South Americans who are not that investor. That's a really good draw. There's a couple of there's a couple of draws in there that you back yourself to win. But but there's you know, a lot of difficult matches. You can imagine it's the best players in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, of course. Well, talking about the draws in general, let's let's have a little general chat about Wimbledon. So Alcarez, Djokovic and Sinner one of three favorites on the men's side. Can you see anyone past them?
Speaker 2: No, I can't not not Logically. It depends on what mood drapers. And he's obviously very dangerous, but it's a different ketler fish at women. And I mean I read the press the other day and the people are talking about him winning it like and saying, oh, it's great. He won't play alcohaz Center until the Semis, like that's a given, you know, yeah, sure, and he's playing you know, if he wins his first two round, he's playing public third round. You beat him in the French. It's not It's very I can imagine it's very difficult being a good brit at win because everyone just expects you to who expects you to make semis straight away because he's a number one name. Yeah, but yeah, obviously I'll be teering on all the Brits and I hope Jack does well and gives it a good go, but I'll be It would be very rogue of me to say one of those three is not going to win it. I'm not. I'm not. I'm not here for a headline, to be honest.
Speaker 1: I think I think Yeah, I mean, there's that chasing pack, isn't there? Taylor. Fritz is great on grass, he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think he's in the final eastbourn He lost first fan of Queens. He's he's got the game for it, isn't he.
Speaker 1: He had that five set semi final against farev or caught final against frev last year.
Speaker 2: He can play so like Fritz can play.
Speaker 1: And Draper and like kind of the second packs and yeah, but then I've got a feeling this Novak, do you. Yeah. So these great players, these great champions, not just not just tennis but Tiger Woods and golf, but great boxers or whoever you want. When you think that normal human laws apply to them, they have one more. Yeah, a bit feeder and adult Aussie Open twenty nineteen. And you look at Federer and you think, well, obviously, as a human that's not as possible these days. And then he does something and it's you realize that he's not following the same code as the rest of us. Yeah, And I've got a feeling it's that record eighth title last year he's finalist with one leg. Yeah, amazing at the Aussie and then pulled out. I think, I think, yeah, same as And I've just got a feeling he might do it. And then it's and then that's the end. Right, But there's a rabbit where you're like, a, yeah, not a normal human.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's certainly not a normal human. He's and he's well rested. He hasn't played any tournaments.
Speaker 1: And breaking records, right, he likes breaking records. That's his goal.
Speaker 2: Now, you can't write him off I mean just can't just yeah, he's very good on grass. I think if he played center on grass. I don't know what the drawer looks like in the semis again, I'm doing it now. But our cras if he can be our crass on the grass and flip me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean and he can.
Speaker 2: We know he can. He was injured last year going for a lot more than he normally would, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Many people in my head, Yeah, there's not many people in my head that I can see beating Jocovic apart from Alcoorism maybe Sinner. Yeah, I can't see anyone else doing it. So, yeah, he is one of the favorites for sure. Alcaz has got a match in him That best of five helps him, but he can go through matches sitting forty unfour.
Speaker 1: Serrus, Yeah, sure, because he's.
Speaker 2: Because he's very adventurous with with his players. You know, it's just what we love about him.
Speaker 1: I think it's a you know, it really is next gen stuff, isn't it now? The next gen is definitely here. What about on the women's side, that's.
Speaker 2: A million dollar question.
Speaker 1: Anyone can win sable Ankor and Coco with the two that I put down as Coco Coco.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know if it's the craft the best thing.
Speaker 1: It's just it's so wide open, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's a great mover. She's and create you know, you know how good she is Sabalanca Off. Her games are amazing, sweet texts. Never really got involved in wimbled them before, but I think she's doing quite well in the lead up tournaments.
Speaker 1: Tell you what I'd say about her though, is when she from winning the French Open in twenty twenty four, She's not even reached a final of another tournament since then.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, she's very she's very, very hot and cold.
Speaker 1: Something's happened there, isn't it. I mean yeah, and I mean Saberlenka three three slams, two women semi finals behind her. I think she's she's obviously world number one and the on form player recent Grand Slam final as well. But I was at Queen's for the women's tournament when it returned, and it's hard to read the form of a woman.
Speaker 2: It's impossible. Yeah, but that's what makes it so thrilling for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh no, definitely is exciting and it's very even. Yeah, I mean the match I was, I was at the day where Radakane was like five love up and then it comes back to five four in about twelve minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it.
Speaker 1: Seems like these are not uncommon patterns, really are they.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of momentum swings. Yeah, and the same same players could play other ten times and could be five. Like it's not it's it's unpredictable. I mean, Sabca has been more consistent as of late. River Ken is very dangerous. Yeah, can't write her off. Paline he made final before. There's a lot of players that but you know, if you told me they're in the final, Okay, Yeah, Maria one Queens.
Speaker 1: Madison Keys winning the Aussie and like that, you know, with that ball strike in.
Speaker 2: Very hard to do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So you play today, we catch up again tomorrow. Tomorrow. I've got a question from one of the army of listeners who wants to talk to you about the mixed doubles. Okay, And I do put in the podcast description if anyone does want to send a voice note what I don't want to send any messages. The number to text is actually in the description of the podcast. Yeah, they can go for that. Otherwise, why don't we catch up tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I'll see you tomorrow, Big day later, as late as five