Speaker 1: We never really address the way that it should, which is with hormones. But it's frequent UTIs women when they start getting that dryness, they start getting more recurrent UTIs more often. Nowadays we even say see young women getting them, and it's actually when they're losing their hormones and they're getting less lubrication, more dryness, and now they're more prone to UTIs.
Speaker 2: And this is Wake Up with Marcy, a space for honest conversations about healing, recovery, and women's wellness. I'm Marcy Hopkins. Take a breath, You're safe here. Let's begin. Hello, Well, welcome back to Wake Up with Marcy. I'm your host, Marcy Hopkins, and I am so grateful you are here today. I am actually here at Relive Health in Delray Beach, Florida, and I am with Paul and I recently came in because I have been hearing so much about HRT hormone replacement and I'm so interested in it, and I came in and you guys were phenomenal. So I just wanted to bring all of you, invite you in with us to have this conversation because this is a conversation that so many really aren't having or understand and we need to be having it. And Paula is truly amazing. She is a Doctor of Nursing Practice. She is also a Board certified Family practitioner. She is certified in functional medicine, anti aging and also peptid therapy, and the list goes on. So thank you Paula for being here with me today and my pleasure inviting me here at Relive is such a beautiful space.
Speaker 1: Now it's our pleasure to have you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, So tell us a little bit about how you got into this world of medicine and why it's so important to you.
Speaker 1: When sometime back when I started, I started in primary care and I saw all the patients coming in, a lot of them older, and they were struggling. It was like they had all those issues. And you send them to different specialists and you got everything involved, and no one finds what's wrong. But they are suffering. They're not feeling well, they have joint pain, they have mental like, they don't have energy, they can't work out anymore, and libido problems, body composition, bring fog, the frozen shoulder. You send them Lui Orthiopedes And now we're injecting aeroids back to back and nothing helps. And I started to a lot of them will come back and the specialists would be there's nothing wrong, like we're just going to give this medication call it a day. And I started to think, like, there's got to be something better. There's got to be something that we have to find the source. We have to find the root cause and help them not to just give a band aid with a medication, but address what is causing it and have a better quality of life. Absolutely, And that's how I, yeah, enter into the journey of functional medicine, finding out the root cause, treating hormone imbalances, either from different causes, from toxins, from things we're exposure to, like aging. As we age, we also have the aging process that we lose those and we don't need to suffer this day and age. We have so many things that we can do too. Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean quality of life, having a good quality of life and understanding that there is help. And Mike, you said, not putting a band aid on and going to all these doctors and we're being treated but not knowing really what is wrong, what is happening to our bodies, right, So let's talk about HRT and what that is exactly.
Speaker 1: So HRT is hormonal replacement therapy, and I just wanted to touch because there's a lot of stigma, a lot of belief. Back in the days, we had studies that indicated that hormonal replacement could give cancer, could cause cancer, and that generation lost so much because everyone now did want to replace the hormones. They were afraid of cancer. And back in the day, yes, we had equine hormones which were very high. Their dozing was like super physiological, not like the ones we have today that are bioidentical, that are like physiological doses that we replace. But those studies were done with synthetic like a derivative from horse urine, and they were very strong. And then yes, a lot of these women won. They were too late and replacing the hormones. And second, a lot of them had very high doses of astrogen, which now we don't have that. So fortunately FDA had remove a lot of the black box warning saying that it causes cancer. I think now we have a bright future for many men and women. Yes, men have entropause, women have menopause, And now we're seeing and even young patients. I see young patients that are losing their hormones because of toxins, because of things that were exposed.
Speaker 2: But we're eating the exposure. Everything is different today, Everything is different. Yeah, and our bodies are responding to that. And yes, and these young girls even starting their cycles so much earlier. And like you said, I mean I feel like these poor young girls. I have a daughter that's twenty and I felt like she was going through menopause at the same time I was, because we were having the same side effects, if you will.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and they are and it is true. Yeah, Like and we see every day, hear even young creatients that they're losing their hormones and we're trying to find the root cause because they shouldn't. They shouldn't young, Yeah, which is different when women go through menopause than we have a varying failure and then we do have to replace. It's part of life, but we don't have to suffer anymore.
Speaker 2: I think it's amazing. And I mean when those reports came out, and I'll tell you, women still talk about it, women that I am around, and they're still fearful of it. I hear everything, yes, and so anyway, I'm fifty six and I decided I had been interviewing some people on HRT and also met someone at another event and they were like, it's life changing, you have to do it, and so let's talk about what happens when you come in to let's say relive, because the process was very easy, and I'd love to even show what you guys shared with me and what I'm now using, and I'm already starting to see differences.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to hear. That's what I live for. But pretty much when you come in, we're going to evaluate first if you have any symptoms, your history, risk factors, we have to evaluate all of that, making sure your lifestyle because depending on your age bracket, we want to make sure what are you doing. If you're younger and you're losing hormones, what is it that is causing What are the lifestyle modifications that we have to do. And also even if you're already hit menopause, we need lifestyle modifications because our bodies handle hormones like the same way we have dot sense. We have to metabolize them, we have to excrete them, we have to toxify from them. So we need to make sure everything is working like a symphony, and everything is working. So we have to assess where you are risk factors, the blood work. Once we replace the hormones and everything's doing good, we evaluate how you're excreting them, how you're metabolizing them, and so there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of steps, a lot of steps. But like who's a good candidate and who's not? I mean, is there any one way that we can figure that out.
Speaker 1: There's many different things that we take into consideration when we place someone on an HRT. Most of the people are I would say everyone that has hormonal imbalance is a candidate. I don't want to say for hormonal replacement, but for hormone optimization. One way or another. We can always like.
Speaker 2: And can you do that when you're in paerimenopause or is it when you're in menopause?
Speaker 1: Now you should do it when you're in perimenopause.
Speaker 2: It was a nightmare for me, exactly. I always put on antidepressants.
Speaker 1: A lot of women are.
Speaker 2: I was drinking alcohol excessively. I mean, that's a big part of my story.
Speaker 1: It was awful. It is it is real. A lot of women get placed on and in all honesty, even when I was in primary care, when we saw, okay, you have those, your blood work doesn't show anything. And when you're in paerimenopause, it's like a roller coaster. So depending when we check your blood work might come back saying you're beautiful, you're not a menopause. You have all your hormones, but it fluctuates, and then if I check on the right amount that you're taking, you're dipping, then I'm going to see that you look like a menopausal woman and that's perimenopause. It's almost like going through puberty again. It's that roller coaster of hormones. Everything's changing, and I think it's harder than when you you're either a menopause or you're not there yet. Yeah, because absolutely it's crazy. It was.
Speaker 2: It really truly affected my life in very negative ways.
Speaker 1: Yes, but that's the time that when you have, especially when you're starting to have the symptoms to have the changes, then we start supporting that loss. So we kind of give that support. So you're because you haven't lost a year and you're going to have periods in paerimenopause that you're ovaries will try to make hormones and then they'll fail, So you have the roller coaster when and when we're supporting. It's not a full replacement dose, but it's like a supporting those and it mitigates all those symptoms and everything that we do that women go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so when I came in, we had a blood test and then from that you were able to read what was happening within my body. One of the things that you mentioned, I want to I want to expand on that. But one of the things you mentioned is family history. So what would inhibit you from not being able to do it due to family history?
Speaker 1: We would approach different ways. If you have a family, especially a stronger family history of cancers that are sensitive to estrogen or to hormones, then we do have to do it in a different way. We have to make sure we're checking you first, make sure you're up to date with all your preventative screenings. Make sure you don't have like the genetic predisposition to develop anything, because we don't want to trigger anything. But still with that we can help with hormones.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So anyway, I came in had my blood work done, and you said that my brain was triggering for the hormones to write, because right, so what is it to go to my brain for different Those.
Speaker 1: Brain signals your ovaries to produce uh huh. So we saw at the time that your brain was trying to signal very strongly to get your ovaries to produce the hormones, and your body was trying to give you the building blocks, which sometimes we see a light increase in cholesterol and certain markers in the in the blood work.
Speaker 2: But so that's what was happening.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Of course, my ovaries weren't responding, and also my cholesterol has been higher, and I even had multiple tests done on that and I didn't have to go on medication. But that is something to look into, right, I mean, and that has never been mentioned to me that that could be.
Speaker 1: A possibility, you know, but it's it's a common one of the common found things when women and men start losing their hormones. One of the building blocks for your body to make hormones is cholesterol. And when your body sees because your body is very spine, it's going to see that you no longer have that hormone, it's going to go, Okay, let me raise a little bit and give you the building block see if you can make is that incredible?
Speaker 2: Our bodies are so fascinating their the machines. So anyway, so you provided for those listening, these are creams. Those are creams compounds that have been created specifically for me. So everyone would have their own.
Speaker 1: Their own, yes, so into their own needs. We monitor with symptoms and how you deal with them.
Speaker 2: Right, so you start with a certain dosage and then see how your body would respond. And you also help men with this. Is that correct? Okay, because that's tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 1: So men also go through something very similar to menopause, which is called andropause, and with aging, they start losing their hormones too. Male main hormone is testosterone. It's very interesting because once man start losing their testosterone, it actually predisposes them to diabetes, to high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, it does all of that.
Speaker 2: I don't know anybody talking about.
Speaker 1: That woman too. So we yes, we should, because we can be preventing a lot of disease, chronic disease of aging. Yes, when we replace the hormones. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, and also I just want to say so I'm about three and a half weeks in now, and today m hmm. I realized today was my first day, like I've always been a napper meeting rest, and today was my first day that I have felt alert, I have felt awake, I have felt good, and it's amazing, amazing. I haven't felt like this, and I can't tell you how long I am blown away by the fact that I feel clear headed and that I just feel so alert and happy. Yes, so it has been just incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was saying, that's when patients say that it's life changing, it.
Speaker 2: Is, and yes, and that's what makes me so excited about what's to come.
Speaker 1: Yes, not even considering the changes that you don't see and you don't feel, but they are happening because now you're preventing oste, you're preventing sarcupedia, meaning like you're not going to be losing your muscle mass, you're going to have more like less of the brain fog. A lot of women complaining of like frozen shoulder, frozen joints, so they're now able to exercise, to be active without hurting everything. So there's so much.
Speaker 2: I also had problems with my legs when I would sleep, and meaning that I would have what is that called when your your legs will like jolt and they have like hyper active and you feel like, I don't know, it really affected my sleep?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's another thing. Yeah, a lot of patients is such an incredible change in sleep. Yes, how restorative and better qualities to sleep they have after they start replacing their hormones.
Speaker 2: What are some of the side effects of perimenopause menopause that that isn't normal? Like we all know about the hot flashes, and we talk about the brain fog and such, but there are definitely some side effects that women are really not aware of. And I mean, I'll just say vaginal dryness.
Speaker 1: Vaginal dryness is a very common and with a vaginal dryness there is one that is very common. I saw a lot in primary care, and we never really address the way that it should, which is with hormones. But it's frequent UTIs women when they start getting that dryness, they start getting more recurrent UTIs more often nowadays we even say see young women getting them, and it's actually when they're losing their hormones and they're getting less lubrication, more dryness, and now they're more.
Speaker 2: Prone to UTIs and a lot of women feel uncomfortable to talk to the gynecologists about these things, so they're not being honest.
Speaker 1: They're not No, so there's sometimes the visit is so quick, where like you're in and out in five minutes. Yeah, so sometimes they don't even have time.
Speaker 2: So functional medicine, a functional medicine is where we would receive the hormone replacement, right. I mean, you're not going to your general practitioner.
Speaker 1: It could be someone that specializes in hormones. But functional medicine is when we're looking you at your health as a whole, and we're addressing the root causes of everything. So not only are we going to do hormones, but we're going to make sure your body is handling the hormones well, that you're doing all the lifestyle changes that we're addressing anything else that can be causing your body not to be optimized, because you should be optimized. You should. You should sleep well, wake up energized, have energy throughout the day, not needing several cups of coffee or other things to stay awake, to have clarity of mind, to be able to exercise, to be active, all the quality of life that everyone should have.
Speaker 2: Amazing so let's talk about some of the negative side effects. Though, maybe someone has started HRT and I mean, what's something to look for that maybe it's not working right.
Speaker 1: There is a lot of dozing adjusting in the beginning. It is true. So sometimes let's say if progesterone, when we start with progesterone and estrogen, some women might retain a little fluid, which sometimes it's normal. It activates a system that it's like a diuretic system, and as your body adjusts to it, sometimes you retain fluid in the beginning and then you start diarrasing normally again. So sometimes that can happen. Breast tenderness. If you have access hormones, you're gonna have symptoms. So you start getting a little some mood swings, some breast tenderness. Someone might going to have like breakthrough bleeding. So those are problems. There's a nuisance that can happen, and it's it's really easily fixable. That's about the dose. Yes, okay, right, so let's talk about.
Speaker 2: The peptide therapy.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I don't know a lot about peptide therapy, but I hear that's a game changer too.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it's becoming very popular. It is becoming very populous. It's been in it around for.
Speaker 2: A while, but we're just catching on.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes it's been around it but pretty much. Baptized are short chain you know, acids, and they signal things peptize. What our love about peptides is that they respect the mechanisms that your body have, the safety mechanisms. So let's say, when I replace hormone, I have to be very careful because i'm telling mandating your body to do something that it needs to do. When I give you peptides, I'm asking kindly your body to do something. And if your body is not ready for it, or if you don't have the terrain for it to happen, it's not going to do anything. Well. When sometimes I see people that use baptists like I haven't seen anything, I'm like, well, it's probably because your body we're not ready to receive the peptize yet.
Speaker 2: Well, tell me what exactly are there for? What tell us when when do we need them?
Speaker 1: A lot of different pep tides. There's peptides for healing that are peptides to improve your mitochondrial health that are peptides that help with gut healing, some help, some help with tendon ligaments. Some actually help with bacterial fungo infections. Uniaming, like, there's so many different ones. It's incredible, it is. It is a whole world. The most common one you know is the weight loss one right, which is now very popular, the gp ones right, EMPI, the manjaros that found. Yes, uh, but we have many O. There's some help with visceral fat fatty liver.
Speaker 2: Now are using all the same kind of peptides for that or we have many different times, many different ye any differferent types of paptides.
Speaker 1: Some help with a libido mini pathtides already after approved, some are not. So there's a lot of great areas we never hear. We really try to go for pharmaceutical so we use compounding pharmacies. We don't use any labs. We want to make sure our patients are getting quality. They're not. They're getting why it's written in the vial and there's no fillers, there's no contamination. But unfortunately, nowadays we do have peptides everywhere, Like you'll google it and you can get it.
Speaker 2: What you're getting, I know what you're getting.
Speaker 1: You don't know what exactly, So that's the danger.
Speaker 2: So tell us relive relive health, what is it overall? What is the mission of relive and what all are you offering here? What can someone come in and you know, regain a holistic and happy life.
Speaker 1: So our mission, our goal is to really get you optimized, to get to have for you to have the best quality life that you can have, to be your best, to fear your best.
Speaker 2: Yes, amazing. And what about for a woman out there that is just feeling really low and maybe she's afraid, what would you say to her?
Speaker 1: I would say, come see.
Speaker 2: Us because we will help you.
Speaker 1: And we have a many different We really have a variety of treatments here from we have a hormone replacement, we have pap tides. We take a full dive into functional medicine, so we have specialty tests that we'll look into your microbiome. We'll look into micronutrients, food sensitivity, mold toxicity, lime disease, fungoing, bacteria, overgrowth, You're name it. Amazing, We're addressing everything so you live your best life.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. Well I'm already feeling better. And the gut health one, it's actually getting a little better already, I will say, but that is something that I struggle with and I think a lot of women.
Speaker 1: Especially with age, we have a lot of issues.
Speaker 2: Actually, I don't know, if I think back, I think it's most of my life something.
Speaker 1: You know, the amount of patients when I ask them if they because sometimes they don't even stop and think. But when I ask if they have constipation, or if they have abnormal stools or more or bloating or reflux or stomach issues, it's a lot. Yes, it's a line.
Speaker 2: And especially now with all that are in our foods, and our foods are just different today, Yes, they are just different. And I mean our our gut is a brain, and and how our gut is functioning is affecting our entire body. And I don't think people realize that so much.
Speaker 1: Everything starts it does It starts with the.
Speaker 2: Gut and then it signals to the brain and how our brain works in our hearts.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so I mean it is incredible, it's very very important.
Speaker 2: So well, I just have to say this has been an incredible conversation Paula, and thank you for all that you do. And I absolutely love it here we're here in Delray Beach. But can you can you find relive health in most.
Speaker 1: Parts of the United States? Yes, yes, everywhere right, And it was a pleasure to have you. Thanks for having.
Speaker 2: Me, absolutely absolutely, it's.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure to talk to you. Well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, and thank you all for tuning in. If this resonated with you, please like, share, comment, Please share this with someone that could use this information. It's so important. Maybe it's not for you, but it is for someone else, and especially for the men in your life that we've we touched on this and that's something that I want to I want to take a deep dive into that also because women's health is so important to me, but the men in our life it's important to make sure that they are healthy too. Absolutely. So remember you are not broken, You're becoming and it's time to wake up to your worth. And I'll see you every Thursday with a new episode. So have an incredible week and I'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye.