Speaker 1: Welcome friends podcasts, Jacky, Why, welcome to Movie Film It's episode three forty nine. I'm Zaki said, I'm.
Speaker 2: Here with Brian hall Day. How's it going, Zachi? We are?
Speaker 1: We are just one regular show away from three point fifty.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Amazing, I know. I mean we were just talking about our episodes, and did you say it was ten years ago? We had recorded our hundredth episode.
Speaker 1: Ten years ago last month? Wow? Yeah? Crazy?
Speaker 2: And then when you add our commentaries in, we're over five hundred episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, five hundred and twenty something. Wow. And and I don't I don't mind saying I think that of those five hundred twenty some five or six pretty good ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like we're really the bat hit the ball. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can almost put together a Greatest Hits collection.
Speaker 1: I would say another ten years we might have half of a Greatest Hits album. That's right, That's the reason we keep going. Yeah, but how are you doing? What's new in movie film land for you?
Speaker 2: Will? I haven't really watched a lot, to be honest, well, at least movie wise, but I did want to note that I still have notes coming in about the movie The Drama. Ah, yes, which is it's been kind of fascinating. I mean I talked about The Drama I think back in April because I really enjoyed it. I not just enjoyed the movie, but then I noticed that I was having more conversations about that movie than I usually do any other movie. Like people were texting me, people were reaching out through the show, people were sending me voice messages, people who had not done that before. And I was like, Wow, there's really something to this, Like people are really having It's giving people a lot to chew on and they just want to talk about it. And so anyway, that had happened and time had passed, and then recently, actually Jeremy Lloyd reached out about it recently, which was like, oh great, yeah, and I was like, I I want to hear all your thoughts, let me know. And then after that I had two more notes come in just yesterday, actually two friends of mine who I actually don't think they listened to the show either, like they just happened to watch it and they're like, oh man, I got to talk about this. I was like, wow, it's amazing, so I just wanted to shine a light on it again. It's currently streaming on HBO Max. If people are looking for an interesting, character driven story that obviously provokes conversation, a reminder also, it has some uncomfortable subject matter at times, so if people are sensitive to those sorts of things, you might want to do a quick little Wikipedia check to see what it's about. But otherwise it's got a really interesting premise. I think it's executed really well and it gives you a lot to chew on. And I've loved this resurgence in messages about it and talking about it again.
Speaker 1: So what this really shows, Brian, is the continued value of the theatrical model, and I think this past year has really proven its vitality right because when a movie drops on streaming it might be vaguely zeitgeisty maybe, I mean, it's kind of a coin toss at this point. But what you have with the with the theatrical release as the center spoke for all of this is it allows multiple cycles of discourse.
Speaker 2: Yes, at your absolutely right, there was that first cycle and now there's people discovering it on HBO Max. And I wonder also if people if this was something that came out on I'm just gonna say generically a streaming service at some point, maybe they'd catch it if they didn't know what else to click on. Maybe they wouldn't and it would disappear from their minds forever. But there probably is an extra little sheen to this. Well, it is an A twenty four movie, which I know also gives a little sparkle for some people. But yeah, this is something they missed in theaters and oh hey, now it's available on HBO Max. Let's check that out. I wonder if that yeah, you know, a little a little more oomph.
Speaker 1: And and it adds to the pretty good year that both Zendaya and Robert Pattinson have been having.
Speaker 2: They really have and there's no slowing down, right, I mean they both have. We'll talk about it in a minute. But Pattinson's got a movie that I'm very excited about coming up, well, and Dune and then Syndia with Dune, Like what a year. I mean, this has got to be. I would be curious to see this against other movie stars from the past, like having this many major movies in one year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty pretty pretty good roster of of you know, the blockbusters and and more indie stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and it's not like it's just Pattinson has four major movies this year is and Daya has like they're sharing these movies. Yeah, I know, right, And I mean just in July alone. It's August now, but you had a Spider Man Brand New Day, you know, with Tom Holland and z India, and then you've got and John Burenthal. Then same month Odyssey John Berenthal's India, Tom Holland, and you got Sindaya and Pattinson together and Drama and Dune and it's all this crazy I don't know, cross pollination or something like. It's it's pretty interesting and unique, am I. I don't know. I don't feel like that happens a lot.
Speaker 1: It does different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this much?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but what else?
Speaker 2: Well, this is the last time I'll mention this. I've brought this up too much, but I finally finished watching Nirvana, the band, the show, and I just have to mention it one more time because I think I sent it to you. But their thing is, you know, they always it's like a Looney Tunes cartoon where they always are trying to come up with a scheme to figure out how they can play at this small music venue. And one of the episodes opened with a really amazing riff on the opening of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Like, right, did I send this to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, like right down to the music and anyway, it was so spot on and so particular. I was just dying. I was like, how does this exist like this? How does something that just delights me so specifically like this exist? So I just I have to recommend it one more time. It's on Hulu. I will say this for the movie, I highly recommend you can go right into the movie. You don't need to watch the show, and I am almost certain most people who listen to.
Speaker 1: This will love it.
Speaker 2: The show is really really funny. I would say some of the episodes are a little more inspired than others, But if you enjoy the guys and you enjoy the conceit, I think you'll at least get a laugh or two out of each of them and just be delighted by their goofiness. So anyway, I had to mention it one more time. Nirvana the band, the show, and definitely recommend Nirvana the band, the show, the movie streaming on Hulu right now. And lastly, speaking of streaming, I mentioned in the last episode that I started watching Cheers because you had highly recommended it, and our friend Sean like literally came to my place and sat me on a couch and hit play to make sure that I would start it, and we watched five episodes together. I've since watched three or four more, and I have to mention a that I'm still enjoying it. But b I had so many people reach out to me after I started it, and you mentioned, okay, Brian in season seven or something, there's this wedding episode, and I was like, oh, wow, okay. And then season ten, season ten, so then Sean comes over and he's like, I got to tell you there's this wedding episode and I was like, wow, Oh that's so Zach. He told me the same thing. And then I had a friend message me who had listened to the show, and she was like, Okay, when you get to the wedding episode, we're gonna have a get together, like we're going to gather people. Well I was like wow, like okay, and I didn't even know that she had heard me talk about this, and and I've had other people message about me starting Cheers. So it's just I love knowing that I have. I feel like I've joined Cheers. I feel like I've walked down those stairs entered a warm, cozy place, and all these people I know and love are bringing me into something you know, special and saying instead of saying hey, Norm, Hey Brian so, and.
Speaker 1: Every everybody knows your.
Speaker 2: Name exactly and and so I'm not just enjoying the show, but I'm kind of enjoying entering this world that everybody seems to really already like.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing I've found very gratifying is, you know, less one think, oh, this is something in artifact that's exclusive to our particular age range or thereabouts. You know, I've I've mentioned the show offhand to students, and they've literally come to me after, you know, several weeks later, you know, at the end of the semester be like, yeah, you know, I started watching it because you recommended it, and I'm almost done with the whole series. Wow, So it it certainly does hold up. You know, I think that obviously there are there are some sitcoms that are that are historically important or that are important in the moment, but I think there are certain ones that that just last and last. I think Cheers is definitely that makes I think I think Seinfeld and Friends are in there too, but Cheers is is is integral that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just feel lightning in a bottle like the cast. I mean those shows that you mentioned, of course, but you just you know, everybody is cast Nope. Perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I remember someone saying this to me when I was working on Bob's Burgers. They said, you know, you're watching an amazing show where you don't lose interest when they focus on any of the particular characters, right, Like You're just like with Bob's if it's a teen episode, great, if it's a Louise episode, great, if it's a Bob episode great. And I think I've noticed that with other shows as well, right, And like with Cheers, like I anytime they stop to focus on Norm, like recently it was an episode where he was having his coworkers come to the bar for a toga party, and you know, like I was like, oh Norm, great, time with Norm, or time with the Diane or time you know, it's yeah, I guess it's no surprise that those things live on the way they do.
Speaker 1: Well, I want you to keep me posted as you as you continue through that series.
Speaker 2: I will, I will definitely. And what about yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's been it's been a slower week, which is kind of nice. You know, so summer summer semester is winding down for me. So I'm just kind of now, probably in the next week or so, I'll do a little bit more catching up. But I got in two more viewings of Spider Man Brand New Day since the last time I talked to you.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, Actually I saw it once more, so yeah, okay, here's how that went.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, well I had to sort of divvy it up with my kids, you know, because some I was able to take with me to one screening, and you know, just kind of I'm like, okay, twist my arm, I guess, and then and then my brother and I, you know, it's kind of it's been our thing at post Pandemic that we go to watch the MCU movies together. So I just just two nights ago I watched it. And we'll talk more about this movie later in the episode, but I will say I went on a Wednesday night and the the joint was packed. I mean it was absolutely packed. You know.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: I also got in my second viewing, only my second of the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this one, this has been a challenge because because it's been very hard to find seats. Yeah, and I basically rode off my oldest he he hadn't seen it and he wanted to see it. And I kept trying and trying to get like decent Imax seats. I don't even mean seventy millimeter you know, bells and whistles, just like regular faumax. You know, even that wasn't able to get. So finally I told him, I'm like, look, it's a good movie. It's good whichever size screen you watch it on. And he's like, fine, you know, but even then regular size show the theater was was pretty full, you know. And and yeah, I mean it absolutely holds up. It was fun to revisit it and kind of have an extra eye towards towards the various things going on. But I mean it ends and my son turns to him, He's like, that was awesome. Yeah, this is having that experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh good, I'm glad. I'm glad he felt that way. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Again.
Speaker 1: It is crazy to look at Matt Damon at this stage of his career. You know, we're talking about Pattinson's and Day and whatever, and you realize, like, well, Damon, a Fleck, you know, DiCaprio, they were that class at the turn of the century.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 2: I don't just think about that. It just was.
Speaker 1: But you're right. I recently saw an interview with Matt Damon and he was talking about how him and Affleck they both auditioned for Dead Poet Society. Oh interesting, okay, and they were really they were like, this is like Taylor made for us, you know, oh my gosh, it's perfect. And then of course didn't end up making it into that movie, and you know, everyone who was ended up doing okay, right, and just the frustration they talked about that summer when the movie came out. They were working at the movie theater.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: They're having to like they're watching people leave the theater just with tears in their eyes. Why because they just watched Dead Poets Society. Yeah, and anything like that movie was eighty eight when it came out okay, right, yeah, And I'm like, if you could have told them then that in exactly ten years you'll be accepting Oscars for writing a movie starring the star of Dead Post Society. Yes, right right.
Speaker 2: I didn't even make that connection. Yeah, amazing, you know, that is amazing. I love stories like that where you know the ending, yeah, you know, and then you hear about the struggle at the beginning and they just persist, Yeah, don't give up, and yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: And so you say, you have somebody like Matt Damon who has been i mean consistently a respected movie star for almost thirty years at this point, and this many years into his career, he has his biggest hit ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah right right.
Speaker 1: You know, The Odyssey has now passed a billion dollars. I think it either has or it shortly will pass The Dark Knight Rises to be Christopher Nolan's best hit ever. I mean, it's you know, these are the stories we love, you know. But while we're talking about the Odyssey, I did want to mention I also checked out a movie from a couple of years ago which a couple of people had recommended to me called The Return. Have you have you heard of this one? Uh?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So this is this is like I said, it's it's from twenty twenty four, and it is about the last hour of what we see in the Odyssey the Return. Yeah, got it? So this is this is that last hour blown up to two hours.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean where does it begin, like him getting back to the shores.
Speaker 1: Really it starts with Odysseus washing up on the shores of it the.
Speaker 2: Cup Okay, okay, I'm looking at it now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's directed by Uberto Pasolini and it stars Ray Fines as Odysseus and Juliette Binoche as Penelope.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Really those those are probably the biggest names that are in it.
Speaker 2: You know, what'd you think?
Speaker 1: So what's interesting it is? I had two feelings. I think it's it's very methodical, and so it's it feels very certainly the first chunk feels very like kind of like, let's get to it. Let's when are we going to get to the fireworks factory?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, but part of that is because having just seen the Odyssey, we know the ending, right, Like it's very fresh, right, and so you're kind of like waiting to get to that, and and having seen the the quote unquote short version, right, it's it's like, you know, you're like, okay, let's get to it. But the the the way it's staged, I mean, it's amazing performances. I mean, obviously, Matt Damon is great Odysseus. You're not going to go wrong with rape fines as Odysseus, right, sure, right, And the way the final sequence plays out is a fun adjunct to the one in the Odyssey. Like it's I'm not even going to get into better or worse. It's just a cool seeing the same thing interpreted in a different way. So it I would recommend it. I think it is absolutely worth watching, especially if you've just seen the Odyssey, but know that it's paced very differently than the Odyssey. And there's plenty of folks who are like about the Odyssey, like, come on, get to it, right, sure, sure, right, but at least the Odyssey sprinkles in some people turning into pigs and the cyclops and whatnot. Right, we don't get any of that in this.
Speaker 2: Excuse me. What I was wondering was does it feel like a third act? I mean, do you do they give flashbacks. Do they have context? Do they?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: How do you root for what you want him to do?
Speaker 1: By the end, they give you enough to understand it, Like, yeah, I mean it it sort of. It assumes a level of familiarity to give you like the basics. But I mean, this movie costs like three million dollars, right, so it's like sure, so a lot of it rests on the performances, you know, and you know what, if you're gonna point a camera at rape Fines and hear him describe the storming of Troy, I'd pay money to see that, you know what I mean? Totally totally so I I I hadn't heard of this at all. I had no idea this movie existed. And then, like I said, somebody somebody mentioned it to me and I checked out. I'm glad I did. It's not the Odyssey, but it is an interesting take on the closing events of the Odyssey?
Speaker 2: Cool? Did your kids watch? I just watched it on my own. I was curious, like if they had seen the Nolan one and then this, and if they had any feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I took the Michael Jordan approach where I was like, f them kids, right, right, right, look it up, kids.
Speaker 2: Or don't you don't care?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Them kids, the kids.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's that's what I've seen.
Speaker 2: Cool. Cool.
Speaker 1: But hey, we got some listener letters. Brian, hey be, you have been for me eighteen thousand less. I'm addressed.
Speaker 2: You've got mail.
Speaker 1: So here's a note we got from Luke's maail. This was on our YouTube page. This was in response to our Supergirl nineteen eighty four commentary track.
Speaker 2: Remember that one, Brian, I do. Actually, I was thinking about it last night. Well longingly, no, but I think I might have mentioned on the show. I was talking to people recently about the Legend of Billy Jean.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're saying how much they like that movie, and I was like, I know that now because yeah, I was doing a deep dive on Helen Slater and look at that.
Speaker 1: Uh So Luke says, thanks for surviving this one. I grew up in the eighties like you guys, and when it comes to this movie, I need to misquote Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi. I have no memory of Supergirl nineteen eighty four. I never knew her.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: With the new movie out, I decided to finally check it out, and honestly, I never thought i'd say these words. Nuclear Man was missed. Nuclear Man, Yeah, nuclear Man in those giant nails, remember those, Brian, Oh, it was always Yeah.
Speaker 2: They made me uncomfortable, just the long nails.
Speaker 1: It's unnerving, it's disturbing. Well, he scratches his skin. I know, it's like, it's not nice. He goes on it. Honestly goes to show you how much Richard Donno was responsible for that first film and a lot of the good stuff in the sequel. I did see Santa Claus the movie, and whilst it wasn't great, it was two thousand and one of Space Odyssey compared to this movie. But was it the magnificent Anderson right right? John Lithgow chewing the scenery in that film elevated it. On one of the Superman documentaries, Ilia Salkind went out of his way of saying Superman three and Supergirl at least weren't disasters like the Quest for Peace. My response to that is, well, at least Quest for Peace wasn't entertaining disaster.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. I don't I don't know. To me, I lump all three of those together to some extent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean I didn't know any better. A Quest for Peace was on TV a lot when I was a kid, so I endeared to it in a specific way.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, I get it. Uh. Luke then asked Zaki, did you ever see the sal Kinds TV show Superboy in the nineteen nineties. My main memory of that is Gilbert Godfried doing a lot of screaming as a villain in that show. He was a villain. I think the character was Nick Knack.
Speaker 2: Oh funny, that could be misremembered. It feels like a word. I can hear him saying.
Speaker 1: Nick Knack, Hey, super Boy. I I and and by the way, Bigilbert Godfried was also the voice of Mister Mix's piddlic in the nineteen nineties Superman animated series No Wow, as Tim Daily. So, yes, I do remember the super Boy television show. I know, Brian, you've heard me talk about that. Uh it was, yeah, you know. It was a show for four seasons. It lasted. I think it's a it's an interesting curiosity. Sure, some some episodes are fun. It's it's weird how it's like a half hour adventure show.
Speaker 2: Mmmm, oh, half hour right, Like that's odd. Yeah, it's very brief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it went into syndication. It was it benefited from that that that Next Generation boom because you had you had Star trek that started in eighty seven, and then the next few years after that, suddenly a whole bunch of shows in first run syndication.
Speaker 2: Wow, eighty seven. I think that as a nineties thing, and I know it was in the nineties, but I remember when it started and my dad watching it.
Speaker 1: Eighty next Gen Holy cow. Yeah yeah, coming up on forty years.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super in fact Superboy, Like that's my memory of that show is it was on WPWR Saturday afternoons, just before Next Generation. You remember War of the World's the series not really, Yeah, that was another that was like Paramount. They paired it with Star trek Man.
Speaker 2: No, I mean what was it based on the book? Like it was, and then it just became a weekly sort of Peril of the Week.
Speaker 1: It was based up. It was like a sequel to the film, the George Powell movie.
Speaker 2: It's like the Aliens they didn't see this coming, but they got a cold except they didn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it was something I forgive me. I don't remember because I haven't revisited since the nineties, but it was the opening credits would alluded to the film, the nineteen fifties film, and it was like, instead of overt invasion, now the aliens are doing it surreptitiously.
Speaker 2: Oh see, what I wanted is that one of the aliens was in a drug store and as it was falling over ill, it knocked over some pseudofed and it was like a look glook, golok glook, and then it got like super healthy and the adventure continues.
Speaker 1: That's a better premise because this was more like a body snatchers type thing. Okay, yeah, I think it lasted two seasons. Anyway, Why why do I need to remember that? I don't know it was anyway, I'm amazed you do. The late eighties and early nineties was like this. This just bumper crop of all kinds of syndicated shows. Oh yeah, first syndication. There's another, this total tangent. It was called Street Justice. You ever heard of this?
Speaker 2: I do remember that title.
Speaker 1: It starred Carl Weathers.
Speaker 2: Okay, and look look it up.
Speaker 1: Go to YouTube Street Justice intro. It is the most nineteen ninety one syndicated TV intro you could possibly imagine, like it's kind of amazing, you know.
Speaker 2: Street Justice.
Speaker 1: I mean, and the title is just generic and nothing. It doesn't tell you anything, you know.
Speaker 2: Basically a gavel, a clisp of a gavel like slams down and then it looks like it's stamped on the screen Street Justice, and then the screen shatters yep. Yeah, and then everybody's doing that eighties turned to the camera and smile.
Speaker 1: But that that's the season two intro that you're looking at.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, look at the see I know this.
Speaker 1: Right, because the season one intro is like you see Carl Weathers and his buddy they're like standing under a street light and then like the light goes up. I mean, it's just very like it's charming. I find it charming. Okay, I'm not. I'm not dogging on it. Yeah, I don't have hate in my heart, Brian, I'm not that way. Any who. Thank you for that, Luke, Thank you for allowing us to descend into the recesses of early nineties syndication. Uh here's what we got from Melissa Nicholson. She emailed us at movie from podcast at gmail dot com and Ishizaking Briant. The live action from animated movie trend needs to slam on the brakes already. I'm in agreement that the Miana live action looks lifeless. I had seen the trailer recently when I'd gone to see the Minions and Monsters film, and it just made me incredibly sad. The animated film is so colorful, fun and just has such a peaceful and adventurous energy. The live action lacks all of those things. It's become a dark, dreary film. It just crushes that animated movie energy completely. That right there is what made me feel sad. If you wanted to make a live action film, don't take from what's already been done and has been hugely successful. The fact that it's only been ten years from the last that's too soon. I'm not sure what demographic they're going for in that film. It doesn't look like a kid's movie to me. You two were also been about having the choice of showing children of the original film or the remake. Honestly, if I was a parent, I would be showing my child the original because they're always the best versions, and there's a certain charm and magic that comes from the older films. That being said, as I step down from my soapbox, I greatly enjoy the latest episode, great conversation as always, lovely tribute to Samuel at the end. He'll be very much missed.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Melissa. Definitely agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the Mowana thing has been interesting because I feel like Disney might be having sort of a come to Jesus moment now.
Speaker 2: I wonder I'd be very curious what their takeaway is from this, the Mowana underperforming moan.
Speaker 1: Look, the fact that Mowana underperformed and the Mandalorian and Grogu underperformed, I think both of them are indicative of the same trend, yeah, which is people don't want to see the same old thing. And meanwhile, the fact I said this right, the fact that Toy Story five is about to if it hasn't already, it's at or above a billion, that's very telling. You know, Uh, people don't want to see the same old thing. That doesn't mean they don't want to see the same old characters. They want to see something new and and and Mowanna was literally the same old thing. Mandalorian was not new enough.
Speaker 2: Yep, you know, we'll put We'll put yep uh I I I think.
Speaker 1: That it doesn't seem like there's any more like live action remax on on the horizon, right. Uh.
Speaker 2: Tangled?
Speaker 1: Is that that that is happening? Yes, but I I am threatening that I don't know. I no, no, I've seen set pictures of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, but it's funny because I have seen I don't I don't have any dog in that fight. But what I've seen is people sort of like, oh, okay, well we like Tangled. It's been a minute, this could be yeah, you know, they're not having the same reaction. I think mwana Well let me back up. It seems like Lelo and Stid almost all of these there has always been a criticism about these being like cynical, you know, cash grabs. But Moana I think was the most Yeah. Yeah, because the original is not even ten years old, or it is exactly ten years old, and it didn't look visually like any sort of improvement or you know, I think there's something to having a style. Like if you want to make a movie that takes place in an exotic location and you're going to make it hyper stylized, that's a take. But this isn't what that looked like. This just looked like, you know, being on a stage and just surrounding your actors with stuff later that you weren't feeling passionate about. You know. It's like, throw some trees, throw some water. They don't look like they're lit to be outside. But whatever, everyone's going to go anyway. You know, there's just a lot of things working against this movie, I think, in particular. Yeah, so I will be curious how Tangled does and if Disney's like, all right, yeah, maybe we we cool it a little bit on these, and maybe we still do them, but we dole them out a little bit more judiciously.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, I mean, wait till we have a take. Yeah, I mean I was thinking about Mulan and how I mean that that sort of you know, that got caught up in all the pandemic stuff. So we can't really look at the metrics. But but artistically, right, that did try to do something slightly more grounded, right, they didn't have a wu shue, you know, for example, right, well, they did have like the the you know, like the lady transforming to the bird or something. Right, So I don't know a little it wasn't like realistic per se. But I wonder if Moana doing something closer to that, where you're shooting on location and it's and you know and and we have the same songs. Sure have, You're welcome and and we know the way and all that stuff, But like, do it real as opposed to to just a different kind of animation, maybe that would have played better. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, and a lot of people are bringing up that that movie cost two hundred and fifty million dollars. Yeah, and The Odyssey costs two hundred and fifty million dollars. Fascinating, And people are like, so what what what happened?
Speaker 1: Well, it was Dwayne Johnson's muscle suit.
Speaker 2: Exactly as Nippoles was.
Speaker 1: That was one hundred and forty seven million dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go.
Speaker 1: I mean we talked about this also, But like I just saw the trailer for the new Jumanji that they've come out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, Open World.
Speaker 1: I think it's called and And I mean it's been seven years since the last one.
Speaker 2: It's just so funny, like my nineties brain. When you said it's been I was like, it's been one week since you look at me prinky Ladies saw and I was like, Brian Bran, snap to attention, we're.
Speaker 1: In now now. Yeah, But I mean, I'm just like seven years Is there is there an audience for that?
Speaker 2: Oh wow? I didn't even realize, right, And and it.
Speaker 1: Feels like we're hitting the boundary of what beloved characters Dwayne Johnson can reprise.
Speaker 2: You know, I have a question for you. So I saw the first one. I thought it was perfectly fine. I did not see the second one. I haven't seen the trailer by first one, you mean the first ones? Yeah, the new one with the Rock and Kevin Hunt everybody. Yeah, And part of me feels like I don't even need to watch the trailer for three because I can already imagine it, you know, So do do do these look different enough?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Does this look like a new thing? To your point about toy story, It's like, we like these characters and we're seeing them do something that looks different, so we want to see what that looks like or does this look like the third time they're doing the same thing?
Speaker 1: So well, this cast, so I will say I I liked I liked the second one quite a bit, Okay, I enjoyed it, and so I do like that, you know, with each at at they sort of have to come up with a new premise to justify getting all these characters back, right, and so I think they've come up with I mean, just from the trailer, I'm like, well, I mean that seems interesting, you know, so I appreciate that it doesn't feel like Washerin's repeat.
Speaker 2: Okay, And by the way, I have nothing against it. I haven't seen it so right, No, but but I think you're you're you're.
Speaker 1: I think you and I are kind of saying the same thing where it's just like, I think it's been too long for people to be like, oh, hey, it's it's our friends again, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know that these films have really retained a spot in the cultural consciousness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as someone who has not followed them, I'm just picturing everyone wearing khaki and being in the jungle, right, And I don't know why I need to see that again, right, So I'm open to it, but I just need to be convinced, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, i'd be curious what you think after if you watch the trailer for the new one, yeah, yeah, thank you for that, Melissa. Here's a note we got from Philip Barker. He says, Hey, guys, just wanted to chime in and say I have enjoyed listening to your commentary tracks this year. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I have not seen Independence Day, Resurgence, No Independence. Your commentary provided enough information I needed to know I'd made the right decision in not seeing it a decade ago or even bothering to. Now, that's right, Brian, That's always the trick, right with some of these commentaries. What's that like if if it's a movie that people clearly most likely have not seen, yes, what can we do you and I to sort of to still make sure we have a conversation that'll you know, like engage people who don't know what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I mean with that one especially, we knew most people probably hadn't seen it, so we were like, we hope this is a good hang.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, uh, he says, I do remember seeing all the advertisements for the original film back in the nineties on VHS tapes of other movies. Kind of wild to think they used to do that ads and trailers of other movies on VHS before the movie starts. It's almost like trying to create a theatrical experience at home to an extent, but now it seems like a ritual loss to time. Yeah, that's so true. Well, just I mean, we have we use the music from those yeah bumpers. Yeah, it's our way of keeping that traditional alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he goes on.
Speaker 1: On the most recent episode, Sean Coyle brought up a question regarding the state of James Gunn's DCU, which I appreciated. If you've been a dc fan, you know, the trials and tribulations of getting these beloved characters right on the big screen is often a topic of discussion that can feel like one of two things, an interesting dissection of our movie studio can have wild ups and downs regarding what success looks like, or a straight up war zone between different sub factions of fans divided by director loyalty. Then I remember, not too long ago, I'd gone back into the archives, all the way back to when your show started, and I must say it is interesting to hear younger Zaki and Brian and Sean talk about movies in the past as opposed to now, in which some views have changed, for example, Zaki and the Dark Knight Rises. That is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our first, our very first.
Speaker 1: Episode was about the Dark Knight Rises. Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, I remember that was the beginning, but I didn't know that was the first.
Speaker 1: Wow, our very very first episode. Huh kind of crazy. Yeah, those what was it fourteen?
Speaker 2: It's fourteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah was that twelve?
Speaker 2: When did that come out?
Speaker 1: Twelve? That was twenty twelve. Yeah, wow, that was the last movie I saw at midnight? Oh yeah, you know. By the way, Brian, real quick, I should say that episode dropped July twenty ninth, twenty twelve, and recording this on July really thirtieth. So yeah, exactly fourteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, happy anniversary. Yeah, serious, amazing. I remember having my moment where I was like, yeah, I think I'm done with midnight movies.
Speaker 1: That was that was me, And that was if you remember the Dark Knight movie theater shooting happened. That was all around that time.
Speaker 2: You know. Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: I got a push notification while I was well, you know, while the movie was going.
Speaker 2: Wow, you just I remember that. I remember getting that news also that night.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So at Phillips Point. So I I U when when I watch that movie in twenty twelve, I was not a big fan. In the years since, I've grown to appreciate it, and I would say now that, in fact I do I do like it. I would say I like it quite a bit in fact. So you know, change, change happens.
Speaker 2: Do you think about that. I've had that recently actually, where I think about things I've said on here. Yeah, and then my opinion might change on a second viewing, or something happens in my life and I look at a piece of art differently because I have broader context.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's and I'll think, oh, I think I said this about this thing seven years ago, and it's interesting that that's on the record now. But just it happens to everybody, you know, our opinions and thoughts evolve and change. And do you ever think about that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Constantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think about the fact that I think when you're younger, you feel more, you feel the necessity of being more strident in your opinion, whichever way it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've found this sure, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: You know, I encountered with my kids. I'll be like, oh, yeah, I remember this movie, like, Yeah, that sucked. I it sucked. I just thought it was whatever. No, it sucked right, right, And he know, And I'm like I remember being like that, Yeah, same right. And and I'm not saying movies don't suck. I'm just saying I I at this point, I'm able to acknowledge the possibility that, well, what I feel today might not be what I feel five years from now. And so certainly the Dark Knight Rise is like exemplar one for that, because I I just went on a whole different journey with that movie, you know, and it still has flaws, and I can acknowledge those flaws. I think you and I we had a great conversation when we did our commentary track about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that. That was a good conversation.
Speaker 1: I think it was a good, good track, you know. But but I rewatched that trilogy just recently, and I'm like, you know, this is this is something I'd credit directly to you, because when it came to the Dark Knight trilogy, I could not get past oh, why are they doing this with Batman? And why are they ending Batman like this? And and you, either at that moment or eventually you were like, look, that's that Batman, right, and then there's going to be a different one, and that's going to be that Batman. And you know, you can judge them for what they are, but but each of them is its own thing. And that was sort of like a light bulb over the head moment, you know. But I'm glad, I'm glad I went on that journey. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and that's that's how you received it, that that was your honest, immediate feelings about it. And it's kind of cool that we're still doing this because then we can chart, you know, our experience over the years.
Speaker 1: So that leads to phillips question. He says, given the current state of the DCU and how Supergirl has spectacularly flopped as the DCU second outing, would you two ever consider revisiting Batman Versus Superman Town of Justice. This year does mark the ten year anniversary of that film's release, and it was met with nothing but divisive reactions across the board. And as I mentioned earlier, listening to you talk about it from the past perspective of the show was interesting, to say the least. I wonder, I wonder if your views or opinions have changed much, if at all, on the film, especially in the wake of the release of the Snyder cut of Justice League only five years ago. Jesus was that five years ago? Aready? Wow? Holy? It was five wow. I've been wanting to but it's you know, it's a commitment, it's a time comment. I painted a much grander picture of what Zack Snyder was trying to achieve during his time working on these characters. I'm sure others and I would be very curious to see if your perspectives have altered in a decade since. And I'm also sure some people would like to forget the film even exists. If you, guys, do decide to revisit it, would you choose the Theatric cut or the Ultimate Edition, which is often regarded as the better version of the film to experience way. I love listening to the show every week and really appreciated the latest episode regarding Nolan's the odyssey, as well as the warm discussion regarding the passing of Sam Neil, who will be truly missed. I'll also add one of my favorite roles of his outside of Jurassic Park, which was as the elder version of Damian in the third Omen film, Omen three, The Final Conflict, showcasing that even one of the kindest and well renowned actors could turn on some dark sensibilities have given the material to work with. As a summer movie season comes to close, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Spider Man Brand New Day, as well as the other films getting ready for release this year, such as Dune Part three and of course Avengers Doomsday. Keep up the great work, guys, you always have a listener in me. All the best, Thank you, Philip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Philip.
Speaker 1: Let's start at the end first, If you want to hear our thoughts on the Avengers Doomsday trailer, Hey, well, I would suggest going over to our Patreon page.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's was one of our bonus conversations that drops exclusively over at patreon dot com. Slash Movie Film podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about that sucker for like a good half hour just the trailer. Yeah, fun discussion. So well, a couple things. First of all, so I wanted to mention about Sam Neil because he mentioned Damien and we're talking about d C. Sam Neil was also the visual inspiration for the character Maxwell Lord, who is the villain in Wonder Woman nineteen eighty four played by Pedro Pascal. But in the late eighties when they when there was a version of the Justice League where Maxwell Lord was like their handler, and he wasn't a bad guy, he was just kind of a complicated good guy. And the visual, I mean it's clear as that. You can see it if you look at the comics from the eighties. Are the artist just Kevin maguire, he Drew Sam Neil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you sent it to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would imagine that at least some of that inspiration came from having seen him as Damien an omen so Batman Vsus Superman.
Speaker 2: What was that a question?
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna let that hang out there.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'd love to.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Philip mentions that it's the tenth anniversary, So I did know that, and it is something that was on my calendar as a possibility. I think for me, and this is not because of how I feel about the movie, but sort of how the world feels, I kind of want it to ferment a little more, you know what I mean. But I would absolutely be fine with revisiting. I think it would make for a fun commentary. Absolutely definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: I mean, I rewatched it five years ago in the lead up to Snyder's Justice League, and I think I could be wrong when I'm pretty sure. When we discussed Snyder's Justice League, I talked about the experience of watching Man of Steel, Bamman for Superman and then going right into the Snyder cut, and I found that a very fulfilling experience. I enjoyed that quite a bit. I'd like to do that.
Speaker 2: I'd like to go down a journey again.
Speaker 1: I think that makes for a fun trilogy. I watched the Ultimate Addition when when I did that, so that's certainly the version I would recommend. And again not to say I don't see flaws, I do. I think it. I think bam Edversuserman is a flawed film. I appreciate more many things in it, but but you know, there's creative choices that I think ended up kind of biting Snyder in the ass. To be honest, you know, in addition to Warner Brothers, I don't think he is the one to blame solely for everything that happened. I think it's just a shit show of epic proportions everywhere at Warner Brothers and at least nothing's changed, same old stuff over there. But like you know, like you said, look, well that's that DC universe. Now we got this one. Let's see how this goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, but it's been a minute for me. I'd like to go back and rewash this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I said, it's been it's been five years, so I'm I would say, if we come back and do a commentary, it'll be another couple of years probably. Okay, let it, let it sit, I would say. I mean, you know, we're kind of like working our way through different Batman films, right yeah. Yeah, So I mean like eventually we'll just end up there. Yeah, you know. Yeah, but no, I'm not a posed to it. I'm assuming you're not either, No, no, yeah, so I think it'll be a fun one down. One last note. This is from Alex Nao and he says, greeting Stantz. It's been a while since I emailed you, so I thought to myself the other day, I need to get back in touch with my good pals. Backy and Ryan he means Zachi and Brian.
Speaker 2: Thanks Alexa.
Speaker 1: As always, you've done stellar work recently. I was eagerly anticipating your episode on the Odyssey, and I was super glad to hear you both raved about it. What kind of IMAX screens do you two have access to? The new one they built this year in Perth is Imax with laser. I don't know what that means, but even though it wasn't as massive as the true seventy millimeters screens, boy oh boy, was it an epic experience watching that film. From the early shot of the cameras zooming into the Trojan soldiers galloping towards the wooden Horse, I knew Nolan had done it again, and the entire sequence with Circe is for me easily one of Nolan's best, along with the Joker chase in Dark Knight and the twenty seven years of video messages in Interstellar. I would love to see it again in Imax, but it's a matter of the tickets being available before it leaves theaters. With the Avengers Doomsday trailer, I have similar feelings to Brian and that it didn't quite hook me completely, but I can totally see myself being giddy as a school child as opening weekend creeps closer and we get to see it in the next great innovation in cinematic technology Infinity vision Q wow wow too bess out infinity vision, which means nothing anyway. Snark aside, There is one curious fan theory I've seen a few people mentioned, and I would like to get both of your thoughts on if it's not too potentially spoilery the sequence in the trailer, Well, it's in the trailer, so I think we're fine. Where we see Thor and Cap with the hammer. People have said that it's actually Loki the version of the TV show in disguise as Cap when he first meets Thor, and the grin on CAP's face is Loki's satisfaction at him finally being worthy of mule Naire. That might be a bit too convoluted, but I believe that at the very least the shot where Thor says it's not possible, it is actually him reacting to seeing Loki, not Cap. What do you think and if this isn't when Thor and Loki reunit, how would you like to see that moment unfold? Many thanks to you for providing the best movie and TV podcast on the Interweb's hands down Kindergards. Alex. Thank you, Alex Right, I.
Speaker 2: Honestly if that's how the trailer ended, and it was a little you know, maybe Thor looking away in disbelief, and then we saw his CAP's face warp a little bit. I might have been what you know, that might have given me a little bit more of a surprise than what I feel like I saw otherwise.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that's what I wanted to be. I don't know who knows, but that's I really like that, I don't know, surprise.
Speaker 1: Well, when you think about it, I mean, there's like three opportunities that we know of for Thor to say it's not possible, right number one Steve Rogers, Number two Loki number three doctor Doom who looks just like Tony Stark. Yeah, right, So that shot could literally be from any one.
Speaker 2: Of those, you know, and you know what, probably I bet in their avids they have all three of those versions, because from what I hear, they're trying really hard to still find the movie.
Speaker 1: That is fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I trust that they will find the movie. Oh, I'm certain of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I well, so, I've so what Alex said, that's the first time I've heard that theory. I've heard a lot of like oh, this is actually evil cap who's part of Hydra. And I'm like, no, it's not that. That's silly. And if it does turn out to be a case, I'm gonna sound like an assholes or here it is, But I don't believe that that's the case. I think that's just that's just too many Jenga blocks that you're piling up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I feel like there are enough other surprises that are likely waiting in the movie that they felt confident putting this out there already see.
Speaker 2: And that's what's kind of cool, because yeah, like Alex was saying, and I wasn't feeling a lot from the trailer because I felt like I wasn't seeing anything I haven't seen before. But I know when I watch these movies, I always enjoy them. So they're in this funny position where I don't need to like the trailer. They already have my money, and I think that goes for a lot of people, and in a way, that's kind of great because then I'm going to go in not no getny of these surprises, and they probably they I mean, these guys have the Russo Brothers have a great track record, you know what I mean. So in a way, I almost prefer it. I would prefer to save that experience for when I see the movie.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I think that this trailer did the job of making people aware that there's, like the broader audience, not the not the online crowd, that there's new Avengers coming. And I think I think we mentioned this in the in the in our bonus conversation, but I I kind of love that that it almost feels like a legacy sequel to Endgame. Yeah, right, uh, And so I I have a feeling that as that movie's release gets closer, I think people are gonna get more excited. I think people are gonna dip back in and and start looking at the stuff they may have missed or forgotten about. And and again, this all hinges on the movie being good. So like we're sort of at this moment taking it as as a given that it will be good, which maybe we shouldn't, but for the sake of this discussion at this moment, let's assume it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the hope.
Speaker 1: That's the hope.
Speaker 2: Well, and by the way, aren't they putting out a special version of Endgame that has additional footage in it that I feel like they've said is vital to the best enjoyment of Doomsday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I feel like it's just going to be like like they're just going to Walter Payton, doctor Doom into various scenes like reacting to things happening.
Speaker 2: That's a great deep cut reference. Do you want to explain that? All right?
Speaker 1: So, in nineteen eighty six, the Chicago Bears put out a video called the Super Bowl Shuffle. This was at the start of the season. This is a kind of a bit of arrogance on the part of the Bears. They were very confident that they were going to win the Super Bowl, and the whole team was there, I forget all the various members, but Walter Payton sweetness was not available when they shot it. So they shot it against a green screen and they composited him in to this video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty six. Now, I don't know how it was perceived back then, but if you watch it now, it's clear as day that he's not really there, right right, It's like Scarlett Johansson and Captain America Civil Wars, very obvious. They got her way later, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I see I just wanted to get this on the record, So here it is, and now you can use that as shorthand moving forward.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I feel like it'll just be a lot of that. It'll be the New Doomsday version of Avengers Endgame, and it's just Doctor Doom just like silently reacting to various scenes as they happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like something. Yeah, there's like a conversation, group convo, and then the camera zooms to like the corner of a building and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, uh yeah, like you know, you know, Tony Stark snaps, and then we cut to Doctor Doom and he looks like Eddie Murphy as mister Robinson, like when the doorbell you know. That's that's the version in my head. Anyway, that's a specific too.
Speaker 2: I wish people could see it. It's like a real oh oh kind of face.
Speaker 1: You got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that, Alex though. Oh and here's Brian. Here's two notes we got from Rogier Caprino. So they are in reference to, you know, movies that are in the conversation right now. Number one, Hi, guys, I finished the Odyssey review today. I have little to add, but I agree one hundred percent with the praise and thoughts. I've always liked Nolan, but the Odyssey made me a fan. I can't wait to see what he does in three years. PS. Robert Pattinson and Tom Holland should make more movies together and add David corn Sweat to the mix. Yeah. And then I followed up the following day with this one. Spider Man was great, five out of five, one comic book accurate Spidey. Tom really gets the shine in brand new Day, and it gave me feeling similar to Superman from last year, but in a different way. Tom till you're ninety. I'm sure Sony would love that he stuck around till he's ninty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, thank you for that, Rochier, and thank you everybody who wrote in. Yes, hey, we got some trailers coming soon to theaters.
Speaker 1: All right, well here's one we have talked about. You and I we've mentioned in a few episodes in Hush Tones. I'm talking about Clayface. Yes. So this is the latest, the next I should say, DC Universe theatrical movie. It's coming up October, just in time for folloween. Written by Mike Flanagan. Yeah, yeah, who I like I'm I'm a fan of his. I like Doctor Sleep quite a bit. Why don't we play some of the audio from this trailer?
Speaker 2: What do you want, miss Chagan? I want my life back.
Speaker 1: I know you you're famous. It's a tragedy and what they did to him boo, I'd like to volunteer for human trust. This isn't cosmetic surgery.
Speaker 2: Even if he kills me, I'll be better off than I am.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, Brian, how are you feeling about this? So for those of you who don't know, and the trailer doesn't relea say anything, but clay Face is a Batman villain, so we're doing the thing. Obviously, we did Joker in twenty nineteen and we got a billion dollars. What other Batman villains can we make a movie out of? And so they've landed on this. However, unlike Joker, this is part of the universe, right, your thoughts, I'm actually very curious about your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well, I know Clayface kind of from the cartoon. Yeah, but I had not watched that since I was a kid. Really, and then I read the Batman nineteen eighty nine sequel book recently. Oh okay, and clay Face, Isn't that Clayface is the villain in that movie or movie in that book, And so that was kind of a reintroduction for me with him, and you're in his head because it's a book, and I got really endeared to him actually, and I mean, you know, he's a little twisted, but he's occasionally sympathetic.
Speaker 1: So just to be clear, this is the novel that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm trying to script past the fact that I can't remember his title.
Speaker 1: It's like Resurrection. There's a few, right, there's like two of them.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, Resurrection, Resurrection okay, by John Jackson Miller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not to be confused with the Batman eighty nine c qual comic correct correct, Okay.
Speaker 2: And so I was like, yeah, I like this character. And then when I heard they were going to make a movie, and then I saw this trailer, I was like, oh, this is it kind of feels like the substance in the Batman universe or something kind of a body horror. Someone who I mean, you could call it vanity, but also maybe just wants to return to a life they once knew. So they're taking extreme measures and it's screwing up their appearance and maybe breaking their brains a little bit. I think that is a movie that I I'm very interested in that. I like the small approach, I like the darker tone. I do question this being the third DC movie, Yeah, especially following Supergirl, which they couldn't have anticipated when they decided to do this. They played this trailer before Spider Man. The second time I watched it, and as they reveal that, oh, his face is melting and he's gonna take scissors and cut them open, my friend next to me went ew and I was like, well, you lost her, Like you know what I mean, Like, this isn't gonna be for everybody. You really, this is a limited audience for this one, I think. And had Supergirl been a really big hit for them, you could sort of get away with these smaller, quirkier more you know, these characters are movies that you know. James Gunn is like, this is up his alley, this is his flavor, and he gets to do his thing, one for them, one for me. But I I don't know. I'm not sure how this is going to play, and I don't know how well this is or what this is going to do. For the DC narrative right now. Yeah, but you know it's like dark Man kind of right. I'm into watching a movie kind of like dark Man, but sure that might not be the best they're hoping for out of this.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you well, I should mention real quick Tom Reese Harries, who plays Clay Face aka Matt Hagan the actor. I just saw him in The Return like two nights ago.
Speaker 2: Oh funny, just random.
Speaker 1: Uh, I I've said before, I think this is in our bonus episode. I don't understand why they're going so early with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this feels like after you're able to do a victory lap and be like, hey, check this out. We're gonna make this small, smaller Batman villain you may not even have heard of, and make a great little horror movie out of it, but maybe not third movie out of the.
Speaker 1: Gate, right, And I'm not saying this will end up in this way, but I get like Sony Marvel villain movie vibes a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, sure, right.
Speaker 1: It feels a little Craven to me.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, right, like and pre watching Craven or post watching Craven.
Speaker 1: Good point, uh, pre in that I could not have anticipated Craven would be as awful as it was, but you watched the trailer, and at least from the trailer, I was like, all right, I'm willing to go with this, I guess, but why isn't Spider Man in this?
Speaker 2: Totally?
Speaker 1: Totally? And what I said after watching Craven was I think everything in Craven would have been a great B story in a Spider Man movie, right, And from watching this trailer, I'm like, well, it feels like a pretty good B story in a Batman movie. You know. Actually, I kind of wish this was the Batman movie, right, like this guy, Yeah, that's interesting to me, you know. So I you know, I think that I think by and large, Joker really like Pete in the Pool in that it like it got them thinking, oh, we can just do this with with all of these characters, right, and I don't. I think for every for every Joker slash Venom, there's about fifty, you know, fifty Cravens. And I think Clay Faces an interesting Batman villain and that's about the extent of it, right, right. I think it's smart they didn't spend more than forty million, but I don't think they're going to be making a huge probit unless the movie is extraordinary.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking, Like, I would like to hope that this is a cool, darker character piece in a superhero universe that is intriguing to me. So I'm hoping it's it's good, But I still find it a curious decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just odd, you know. Yeah, And I was.
Speaker 2: Thinking during the trailer because it is like Joker right where you're you're focused on the quote unquote villain as the main character, so you're gonna get somewhat you know, his point of view at the very least, and you know, probably hoping he'll things will turn around in his life. And I was picturing this guy and everything he's going through, and he's like, I lost my job, I lost my life, I lost my face. And then I was just picturing Batman dropping down in front of him and being like booh, and then punching him in the face. And it's like, yeah, it's kind of strange when you make the villains the protagonists, you know, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: See this is you know you talk about Batman the animated series. I think that show just mastered it right. How to how to give the villains just enough of a sympathetic backstory where where you feel a certain amount of pain thos, but you're still invested in Batman stopping them. Yeah, And whether we're talking about Clayface or Mister Freeze or two Face the Mad Hatter, I just go on and on. You know, Riddler, that show was able to do that so consistently. Well that not just I mean, this is not a problem that's new to this Clayface movie. I mean it's a problem that Batman films have themselves struggled with, because once you've done as good of a Mister Freeze as the animated series, well well nothing the movie movies could do would measure up right. And that's why the Schwarzenegger one was whatever it was right right. So yeah, I I I find it odd more than anything. It's an odd choice, and I'm happy to be proven wrong. Just to be clear, I would love nothing more for the movie to be a pleasant surprise, but it the trailer grossed me out, and if not for the Batman connection, I wouldn't be watching it at all. Yeah, you know that said, I mean, as we record this, we're about a week out from the next DC Universe thing, which is Lanterns coming up on HBO or HBO Max. And and you know, I think that's a good example of what has been guns stated approach, which is take familiar DC characters and put them in sort of genres that would you wouldn't expect them in. Right, So if they really knocked that out, you know, maybe that'll that'll reset my expectations for this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that is coming up in October, but just a month before that, just in time for my birthday. As a matter of right, we've got the new eight twenty four release Primetime starring Robert Pattinson as Chris Hanson. Man, what a what a weird sentence?
Speaker 2: I know, I know. It is funny where these things, these news stories or news personalities from our youth are now the subjects of movies. Yeah, you know, it's kind of strange.
Speaker 1: Well, let's play some of the audio from this.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you sure your parents are known? I'm sure, Big night planned? Who are you? And she have a seat right there. I'm Chris Hansen with Dayline NBC, and we're doing a story on adults who try to meet teens online.
Speaker 1: You see how this looks, right, I don't really like your.
Speaker 2: Show, but America loves it, so I need to move.
Speaker 3: To Catch a Predator nine pm, five times gonna be bigger than.
Speaker 1: Loss alrighty, so I should mention So this this movie is based on I'm assuming it's like a heavily dramatized version of the behind the scenes of the To Catch a Predator investigations that Dateline did. And I mentioned this on on the program a few months ago, but you know, they they just recently came out with a documentary about that whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched it on your recommendation.
Speaker 1: Right, so it certainly it's the it's all all of that is very fresh in my mind. So it's cool now to see this film, and you know, I'm looking forward to comparing cresting. What did you think of that documentary?
Speaker 2: By the way, I was just googling it called predator right, Predators Predators? Okay, I liked it quite a bit. I mean because we might have talked about this, but I mean, this show was a phenomenon when it happened, and it was it's so interesting, so many new genres were basically born in that moment, as reality TV was exploding. I mean, you know, just playing with the fort you had like Survivor in the real world and things. But then people were like, what if we tweaked it? Like what if we made a show that looked like The Bachelor, but the guy really wasn't a millionaire? Wouldn't that be funny? And every you know, like they were just playing with it, and then this felt like sort of a strange twist on reality, but also it had this like veneer of integrity where it was like, well, what if we make this hidden camera scenario where we lure these child predators into a house and we confront them and say what were you thinking? And they're literally going to be on camera and there's a you know, Chris Hansen, the dayline host, will come out and interrogate this person and then they'll be arrested in front of our eyes. And so we're getting to witness this weird sort of thing we know exists but have never actually seen. And there's also like a strange bit of like I don't know, like satisfaction and seeing these people taken down. And so I watched this show all the time. I mean, it was a humungous hit when it came out. So the Predator's documentary was interesting because they were like, yes, we don't want these people out there interacting with children or anything, but let's like dig into it, like, let's take a closer look at some of these people who maybe we're walking up to a mistake, but with the right guidance, would have walked it back right right.
Speaker 1: And so it's.
Speaker 2: It's difficult because every case is different, right, But it was just sort of like, let's just think about this a little let's talk about it a little bit. And I found that very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is one one moment in the documentary where they they they talked to the many of the people who served as decoys. Yes, and so they they were of age, but they were able to, you know, give off vibes of being somebody under age, and so you know, they were putting that that role. And and there was there was one decoy she talked about being being situated on a on a beach and one of the targets was gonna, you know, meet her on the beach and and she talked to him for a little bit and she she kind of kind of what you were saying, She got the sense that this guy is just like lonely and not fully aware of like what what is about to happen?
Speaker 2: Right, And of course it's it's delicate because it's like these people did show.
Speaker 1: Up, right, I mean it's tricky, right, It's it's complicated, no doubt. And but but she talks about in hindsight where she was she just wanted to be like just just just go.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know, because she was like he was about my age. Yeah, he was lost, he needed help.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and so you know that documentary. I found it fascinating. It wasn't perfect. I think I think there were some some blind spots there, but I as a look into a phenomenon that I remember quite well, you know, from from twenty years ago thereabouts. I found it interesting. And then and then this this trailer drops. I saw the teaser like a month or so ago, and I had no idea this movie was coming. And I'm like, man, fascinating, like just the pipeline, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and Lance Oppenheim, who's the director. He was born in ninety six. That means he was like ten. To Catch a Predator first aired, you know, wow, he's a documentarian. This is his feature debut, but you got you got Patinson him again, just like this killer Chris Hansen impression.
Speaker 2: I remember the teaser. I was like, oh yeah, okay, I can kind of see it. And then in this one, this trailer in particular, I was like, whoa, he looks like he's got the voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the documentary. I mean they interview Chris Hansen.
Speaker 2: Yes, and.
Speaker 1: That is a fascinating segment because you know, I mean, it doesn't it doesn't glaze him, No, no, not at all, nor does it condemn him. I mean it's kind of it's it's sort of him reckoning with it's the documentary pointing the complicated legacy of Predator at him and asking him to reckon with it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think a word we haven't said yet. That's a big part of this is exploitation. Yes, exactly is this is this exploitation for entertainment? Yeah, and you know, I guess this would be spoilers to talk about, but there is an event that happens, something goes south in one of these things, and from the trailer, I think it's pretty clear that's going to be the arc of this, right, I recognize it because of the documentary.
Speaker 1: Because of the doc. Yeah, I'm I'm I'm so interested in seeing this. I have no idea how the movie is going to turn out. I'm curious how much they they dial up the sort of you know, manufactured drama.
Speaker 2: Well, it definitely looks more stylized than I was imagining, right, which I'm fine with. But yeah, it looks like it's going for a vibe for sure.
Speaker 1: Vibe. There you go. But yeah, so this is one of four patentson joints just in this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and it sounds like we're both looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm open to it. Like I said, it drops on my birthday, so quite the quite the present for me.
Speaker 2: Well we can. We could go see this and go get a cupcake afterwards.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: It' stop buy nothing bunt cakes.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, hey, we got some headlines extra, what a scoop? So how does this sound?
Speaker 1: Imagine that you have a movie that is hidden away in a vault and somebody executes a heist of some kind to steal that movie. Yes, sounds like the plot of a pretty good movie.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: Starring Nicholas Cage. One might say, well, I'd watch that but what if said movie stars Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the that's the real life scenario we're dealing with, is a And of course Netflix is at the center of this. So this is This is from from page six, which says that a film that was a stored on a heart drive in Netflix called Fortitude has been lifted because the hard drive has gone missing.
Speaker 2: Yes, so this is, as I understand it, an independently made movie and they were hoping to get distributors, so they gave copies of their movie around town on these hard drives, and the hard drive that was left at Netflix went missing and they have no idea where it is.
Speaker 1: So the movie stars Nicholas Cage. It's a World War two drama. And this I'm just reading from the pieces is one indie director was agast at Netflix's alleged sloppiness and subsequent response. I think it's such a suspicious situation, and for Netflix to claim in an email that it was stolen and they don't know how or by whom, and there's nothing they can do about it is legitimately scary. The director notes, I feel for the Fortitude filmmakers. This could tank a big sale for.
Speaker 2: Them, right, and they are suing Netflix right for one hundred and sixty five million dollars.
Speaker 1: Which I hope they get that because I think that's the most money they're liable to make off of this movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, this could be the payout they weren't expecting. Yeah, but uh, maybe they were hoping for. But Netflix has said that that doesn't feel right to them because it looks like instead of trying to work to figure this thing out or bring investigators in, it's like immediately they're suddenly wind over one hundred million dollars and that doesn't feel like they're working in good faith. So that's that's Netflix's counter to that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, of course they're going to say that, but they're the ones who who managed this right. Like It's it's like if a museum is lent, you know, the Mona Lisa, right, and it goes missing, you know, and then they're told, hey, pay up, you know, mm hmm, well you're not helping us find it. That's not very nice, right, right, right, right, right?
Speaker 2: This is presenting both sides in the story.
Speaker 1: It's it's, uh, I know, I get it because because I mean, I doubt they plan for this to happen, of course, but I think this this to me, first of all, it sounds like the plot of a pretty killer Nicholas Cage movie.
Speaker 2: This needs to be a Nicholas Cage movie about this, Like he is Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 1: Kind of like to that that one from a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bearable weight of being massive talent, massive talent said something else. It doesn't matter anyway, but yes, he should start as himself where his movie has been stolen from Netflix, and he's like, I'll get it back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, everybody get out of the way. We'll figure this out. I I feel like, to me, this just points to the problem when we when you know, increasingly the industry has shipped towards this, this streaming centric model. Sure. Uh, now, obviously you have a movie on a hard drive that could have happened anywhere, but it didn't have to be Netflix. But I think Netflix is financially in a position where they like they can, they can lawyer up in a way where you know, I'd be very curious if the filmmakers see anything back from this, and and how does something like that happen?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, you think of the links they go through to you know, share a Stranger Things episode with you or something, right, and just that this hard drive with this original movie on it just disappeared and they have and this it was it was one of a few, right, it wasn't the only one that.
Speaker 1: Was I mean that the only copy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I mean that was stolen? Right, didn't they say there was a bunch of hard drives that went missings? So yeah, I wonder what the story is there? I mean inside job? Did someone swipe it? And now they are holding all these movies ransom? Like, what what is the story here?
Speaker 1: Did did Ethan hunt you know, lower down and you know in a clean room?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, the guy who was in charge of the drives kept getting up sick and running to the bathroom over and over again.
Speaker 1: And then Netflix shipped him off to Alaska after the You.
Speaker 2: Know what's great, It turns out he found his real life up there there you go.
Speaker 1: It's raising some dogs, lovemanth all of his life. Yeah, best thing that ever happened, turns out all because of that Nick Cage movie. So we'll see if Netflix has the fortitude that would stand this lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Back to you Brian, I like that as our new transition.
Speaker 1: Other news. Now this broke just this morning. Now. Now, the last Jurassic World film, Jurassic World Rebirths from last year. I think, well, my senses, you had a complicated relationship.
Speaker 2: With that film. I found things to enjoy in it, but overall I didn't love it.
Speaker 1: I feel like that speaks for the broad right, the mass of the movie going public. Sure, sure, yeah, I mean people showed up. Oh, I mean they always will and I will too.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to stop going to Jurassic Park movies because I didn't like the last one, clearly. I mean, when this is Jurassic World four, we have three Jurassic Parks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it made like eight hundred million, like it did well? Yeah uh, and it did well enough for Universal to lock in the actors to have them come back.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think it's this new trio with your Scar Joe and your Jonathan Bailey and you're maherschel Ali.
Speaker 2: Which by the way, is great. I liked those three people. I wish they had made more compelling characters for them.
Speaker 1: I guess I definitely agree with that.
Speaker 2: When I think of Jurassic Park, I think of the characters as much as I think of the dinosaurs and the set pieces, you know, so I just wish they could make that formula work again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, so Jurassic Park is sort of like rarefied air. I think we've long established on this show that well, I mean it's just nothing, nothing ever touches that, yep. And so you know, he sort of, you know, just muddle along through the next run. But I mean people turn up and they do well. Now, Jurassic World Rebirth, originally it was going to be directed by David Leech. I think, oh, that's right, yeah, right, And then he dropped out and then Gareth Edwards came in at the eleventh hour and carried it across the finish line. And I would say, this is me Gareth Edwards did a good job doing what he does, considering how late in the game he came.
Speaker 2: In, I agree. I mean I liked the way it looked. I just didn't love the script, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so when they announced the sequel, the plan was, oh, Edward's gonna come back, and now he gets to be there from the beginning to help develop the story. And that was all well and good until this morning, when according to Variety, Gareth Edwards has exited the Dress World sequel over wait for it, creative differences. Yeah, I don't know what those differences would entail. I think universal is probably like we want dinosaurs, and what would he have said? I prefer fish, Like what's the.
Speaker 2: Well Gareth Edwards. Not to over use this expression, but Gareth Edwards is a vibe and I mean I do feel like that's applicable. Like he really does bring a specific aesthetic to everything he does. There's a real earthyness to his movies that feature other worldly things whatever. Like remember The Creator was his last original movie, which has just an incredible aesthetic and world building and designs and character designs and everything. But I remember the story feeling like I want it so close, like I want it to come together to meet how amazing this looks. And I feel like that's something that happens to him occasionally. I mean, you look at one also, right, Yeah. Yeah, So I can't say I'm super surprised. I feel like for him, I still want him to direct movies because again, he brings something that he has a voice that's interesting that other people don't have. But he might need to be paired with a strong screenwriter.
Speaker 1: Sure, and Universal was like, we're not giving you a strong screenwriter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe he wanted to do his own thing. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I think in all seriousness, I mean, David Kep, who wrote the last one, he's coming back, and so I think that sort of establishes the pecking order. Yeah, right, you know, because because Edwards was brought in to direct the script David Kep wrote. And so you've essentially got a situation where you've got Steven Spielberg at the top of the pyramid.
Speaker 2: Who just directed a movie written by David Kepp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly right, and then David Kepp in the lower tier, and then the director comes in and shoots what Spielberg and Kep have agreed on. Right, that's my guess of how this all went down, right, And so I think in a way this is helpful because it tells it tells you, well, it tells future whatever director they end up with, what they can expect.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's why you get a Trevarro, right, someone who popped in a smaller film. You know, he's got he brings some interesting things, and he's mouldable. Edwards might be a little further along than that, right.
Speaker 1: And that's a great point. Now, this is this is from the Variety article. It says, although the property remains popular, Jurassic is experiencing some diminishing returns at the box office. Universal's original Jurssic Park spinoff trilogy, anchored by Chris Pratt and Brycetius Howard, launched with twenty four teens Dress World, concluded with twenty twenty two's Dress World Dominion, all of which eclipsed one billion in global ticket sales. These movies are enormously expensive, with production budgets that regularly soar above two hundred and fifty million dollars. Now, I mean, yes, there was a drop off from Dominion to this one, but like, I know, nobody should be panicking over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, people still show up.
Speaker 1: But I think fundamentally the problem that the last movie did not lick is what what makes this new presumably trilogy worth doing? Like, what is it about it?
Speaker 2: You know, that's a great point because I don't even remember what the store.
Speaker 1: Is, right, I mean, it's it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, goddamn, what I mean, Jurassic World. Say what you want if you like it or not it's the park opened. Yeah, and I even felt like Chris Pratt's character wasn't quite where I wanted him to be, but I remember him. Yeah, I remember Bryce Dallas Howard. I remember their roles. I remember their types at least, and the way they bounced off of one another. So you know that was a takee take hold on.
Speaker 1: So I I last saw it last summer.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you need to take like a little pocket watch and hypnotize you and bring it out.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm trying to. I'm like, what was it? Okay, No, no, no, okay, I'm like, why did they because it's not it's not either of the previous islands, right, it's like a new place.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The dinosaurs are dying. They're all over the world, but they're dying.
Speaker 2: Oh right, because you see the one by a freeway that's right keeled over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're only thriving in certain like equatorial areas.
Speaker 2: Okay, and.
Speaker 1: Oh that right, it's Remember it's that guy who's like kind of like like Julian McMahon light and he's like, we want to get like DNA from these dinosaurs to help us make medicine. Remember, mmmm, Yes, right. So Jonathan Bailey is like the they go to him because he knows which ones to get or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's coming back, right.
Speaker 1: And and then and then they go to the island and and uh, yeah, there's the family. This is hilarious, this is It wasn't that long ago. I know, I know there's a family that washes up on on the same island, right, I remember that there, right, And and there's the big the big headed the t rex with the with the gigantism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the dumb dumbsaurus.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. And then Marshall Ali. We think he dies, but he doesn't. That's that's all I remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I yes, that family, right, They their boat capsized or something, right, and then they washed up on the island and they just get kind of shoehorned into the adventure, even though I did kind of enjoy that because I like seeing real people dealing with dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: See. And I want to be clear, I remember not minding the movie. I thought it was all right, but I don't remember much about.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, or just the character types just weren't as distinctive as I would.
Speaker 1: Well, look, here's the thing, this is, this is the unfortunate realities. We're just never gonna get Grant Sadler and Malcolm again. Yeah, and and it you know, and and I'm actually very curious in all seriousness. I mean, this is a franchise that's more than thirty years old at this point. How do modern audiences plug in it? Like, like, like kids, I don't know, yeah, Like, I mean, it's like the movies do well. Obviously they would they wouldn't keep going. And and I think they can all be expected to do reasonably well because they are a multi generational theatrical experience.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But you know how like we talk about Star Wars prequel kids, they're like, well, that's their Star Wars, right. Is there something similar with Jurassic World?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I have no idea, Like, oh, when that's my guy? You know what I mean? Right, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm curious how the End of Oak Street is going to do because regardless of what that's about, it's a dinosaur movie. So will people show up for a dinosaur movie or is there something to the name Jurassic Park? Interesting?
Speaker 1: Curious, very curious. Yeah, Well, anyway, the film itself, I mean it's supposed to come out next year, I think, wow, okay, next year or no pressure. Actually actually wait last year. No, probably twenty twenty eight. I'm guessing if they don't even have a director. Yeah, I'm sure they'll do well, though, you know, I'm sure, but I will say I was looking forward to Garrett Edwards getting to come up with an idea or be involved with the idea from the ground up. So it is kind of kind of bumming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to see someone who has a take.
Speaker 1: Who has a take? Yeah, maybe it's Brian Hall, maybe Techi's on Universal call Us.
Speaker 2: Hey, we should we should be like the Coen Brothers. We should team up?
Speaker 1: Why not? Yeah? Why not? We can we can be like the Daniels, Yeah, exactly, or the Russo's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got this.
Speaker 1: And the Watchhouse Keys. That's right, speaking of the Watchhousekis. By the way, I just saw that Warner Brothers has a Matrix five on the calendar for for I think twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: I saw that because it's been discussed for a while that they're developing it, but now it's it's happening.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, well it's it's uh, you know the guy he wrote Hill Mary what's his name?
Speaker 2: Oh Goddard, Yeah, Drew Goddard. He's he's doing it. Very cool, very curious. I mean, where do you take the story? Does it involve Kean Reeves and Carrion Moss?
Speaker 1: And I mean certainly the fourth film was intended, at least by by Lana Wachowski as a statement on how they feel about continuing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, So is this a continuation or is this meanwhile on another side of the of Zion? You know that's right? Yeah, very curious about that. Yeah, same, But.
Speaker 1: Why why are they making these movies? Because sequels make money? How do we know this? Because Spider Man Brand New Day has made all the money. If there is money to be made, Spider Man has made it, right, I mean, he's broken every record with this movie, it seems. Well. So the first week of Spider Man Brand New Day is the biggest in box office history.
Speaker 2: Amazing, It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm looking at a Hollywood reporter here, high scoresing first weekend domestic box office history five hundred million dollars in North America. And it's for seven days and heading into weekend two, even if it drops by sixty percent, which is possible, it would still end up with something like one hundred and fifty million dollars for its second weekend, unbelievable domestically, when you factor in international, it was I think just under a billion dollars. So I mean it literally made Avengers Endgame money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I will say.
Speaker 1: I was surprised by that. Not that I didn't expect it to be a hit. I assumed it would do well. But when you say Avengers Endgame money, there's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I would even expect it to do extraordinarily well because Spider Man always does well. But yes, like rivaling the one of the highest grossing movies of all time right out of the gate is crazy.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean an endgame arrived as the culmination of ten years or eleven years. And you know, however, many movies of anticipation, a year of build up after Infinity War, right, Yeah, Brand New Day did not have all of that, and yet it, you know it, it did better than Spider Man No Way Home. That's amazing. I mean, I'm like, I'm genuinely fascinated by this because I mean, there have been Spider Man movies for twenty four years now and as you said, I mean they all, even the bad ones, have done reasonably well. So what do we attribute this to?
Speaker 2: People love Spider Man. I know it sounds simple, but I actually my parents when a big movie comes out, they usually wait at least a week two, maybe even three because they want to avoid crowds. But my parents went, they've already seen Spider Man. Really they want to see Spider Man like, that's to me, that's what that's what it's about this character.
Speaker 1: Well, I know our listeners are waiting for a pops haul review. Oh I have it, let's hear it. Brother.
Speaker 2: I talked to him on the phone yesterday. He said trippy but very good. And by trippy he means all the you know her. Oh, I don't want to say who, but I said, we're not talking spoilers, right, but the consciousness is hopping people. It was like trippy but very good, lots of great action, entertaining. I already look forward to seeing the sequel.
Speaker 1: Look at that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, big big hit.
Speaker 1: I should say. You know at this point is is it can still considered a spoiler about that character? Yeah? Because because it's out there in front of God and everybody at this point.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, hey, so fair warning. We'll at least say that if people, I mean, we're we're toward the end of our episode here, and if you just haven't been able to make it out yet and you want to pause and wait for the rest of this conversation, well, oh, you'll.
Speaker 1: Say this and I'll step around there. There was speculation, rampant speculation about who Sadie Sync plays, and and you know, my wife she had she had not seen the movie, and I was actually trying to protect that secret from her, you know. And and of course you get on YouTube and my algo is all just like you know, the Easter Egg videos and whatnot, and it's like Sadie sinc talks about her her surprise character or whatever. And I'm gonna was like, what what's the surprise character? And I'm like, and I'm like trying to avoid her seeing all the you know, anything relating to mutants or whatnot, and and I'm like, I was like, well, I mean, you know, it's all like this multiverse stuff, and and I mean, look, well, I don't want to ruin it for you, but like, what, what's a Spider Man character who's famous for red hair, and she goes, Mary Jane. I'm like, I'm not saying anything, and so she was totally thinking of something different, so that that could actually be a surprise.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what's kind of interesting about that actually, now that I'm thinking about it. Just this morning, I was talking to a good friend who hasn't seen it yet. He's gonna try to see it this weekend. So I know sometimes it can be tough, you know, getting out there right away, but there is somewhat of a reveal in the middle. And it was fascinating because I saw the movie by myself first so we could talk about it. Then I went with two friends that Saturday, and it was interesting because my theater was into it, but I could sense that my friends were getting a little frustrated.
Speaker 3: HM.
Speaker 2: One of my friends, when Florence.
Speaker 1: Pugh appeared, was like, who's that interesting?
Speaker 2: And I was like, well, that's uh oh. She goes, I'm black Widow. She's like, that's girl Johnson's black Widow. I was like, well, that's her her sister, and she's like, oh, okay, okay, And then I could send some frustration like oh, I guess I haven't done my homework and when the reveal happened, our theater went oh, and then someone even yelled I knew it. And it's funny because my other friend went, he leaned into me, and he goes, now, what, how could he know? So I was sensing like, okay, but with that in mind, because I think these friends are relatively plugged in, but felt like they were missing something and that that meant that they weren't enjoying the movie fully or as much as you know, the filmmakers thought they should. But it was interesting because then I talked to my dad and I said, did it bother you? I explained who that character was, and then I asked, did it bother you that you didn't know that watching it? And he goes, no, He's like, because I was just following the movie as it presented everything, like why would it? Yeah, so I think the movie does do a good job of allowing that. However, if you are in a very reactive audience and it feels like everyone's getting something except you, I understood why my friends were feeling a little frustrated.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, I mean the amount of money this thing has made, I mean, Sony is ecstatic. I'm sure. Yeah, Tom Holland I said this last time, he's got these guys over a barrel. Definitely right, because when you think about it, him and his wife can decide to nope out and then what do you do? Yeah right, yeah, but I mean they can do like good cop, bad cop, but it comes to negotiating, you know, No, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's two of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, but I I you know the current arrangement between Sony and Marvel that this is interesting is right now. It's on a movie by movie basis, and the way it works is Sony pays seventy five percent of the cost, Disney pays twenty five percent, and they split the proceeds accordingly, so seventy five to twenty five. And normally you'd be like, well, don't rock the boat, like what if it If it works, don't piss on it to make it better. Right, However, we know how studios work, and can't you just imagine somebody in Sony being like, well, I don't know, why don't we just keep that additional twenty five percent?
Speaker 2: Totally there's always that person that ruins everything, right, Like you.
Speaker 1: Just know there's one of those guys. So I actually think Tom Holland is the glue here keeping Spider Man in the MCU. Yeah, that's a good point, because I think he has the ability to be like, well, I'm not going to do it then, because he's on a movie by movie basis, And so my feeling is, as long as Tom Holland is playing Peter Parker, Spidery remains part of the MCU. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and I mean, take a look, you know what I mean. It was once Marvel got involved. Yeah, that's when this all started blowing up, you know what I mean. And the Spider Man Universe movies that they were not involved in, they've just shut those down.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: They said they have no plans for any more of them. So, you know, I'm maybe mixed results some of the venoms, at least for me from my point of view, or at least somewhat amusing. But I never really loved them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you speak for the masses. I'm just saying I don't know anybody who's putting those things on their mantle, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I had a better time telling the plot of those movies to other people than I did actually watching them. But but yeah, I mean, hello, like Marvel is the secret sauce here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you can.
Speaker 2: Imagine Gollum getting the ring in his hand and being like, that's all mine. That's before they fall into the volcano.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. I mean. You know, this is a situation where where Amy Pascal, who's in charge of Spider Man movies, and Kevin Faige have to land on the same page, you know, and I would imagine that is challenging. Sure, I bet I think that this movie's success has to have Marvel feeling really good about Avengers Doomsday though. Oh yeah, yeah, right, because because the issue for a little while has been oh there's a new Marvel what was the last one? And you know, like because people have really checked out, right, well, I think Spider Man has got people really excited to dip back in. So I actually think, I actually think putting Florence Pew in here was kind of brilliant m because yeah, there's gonna be a lot of folks who are like, who is that? But now they'll be enticed to check out Thunderbolts, right.
Speaker 2: Right, they can dip back sort of the more ideal version of what you were talking about where if some little kid sees this Spider Man movie and it's like, I want to watch more of The Punisher and then they watched that one off, very R rated thing that dropped on Disney Plus recently. Yep, but yeah, I know you're right. I mean it'll maybe make people check out Thunderbolts. And she mentions that she's an Avenger in Spider Man, so huh, like, yeah, it's it's pushing everything forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think what we're going to see right now is what do we got like four months before Doomsday? Right, You're going to see a whole bunch of people deciding to get caught up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, right, And so I think it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna end up being something very similar to what we saw in the lead up to in the immediate aftermath of the first Avengers film, which at that time all you had was Phase one before that, and there were plenty of folks who didn't watch thor didn't watch Captain America the first Avenger, and they went back and get got caught up. So I think we are going to see that, this is my guess. And I think Doomsday is gonna end up doing fine unless it's just complete garbage, which I doubt right right.
Speaker 2: And I think speaking I don't know for the people who feel like me. I've watched all this stuff. I continue to check in, but just because there's so much of it, I find myself not feeling, you know, as excited early out right. However, like the weeks building up to it, of course I made you get excited, right, you know what I mean? And of course I'm gonna go and I'm probably gonna watch it more than once, you know.
Speaker 1: You know it's funny. Last week I got on Disney Plus and you know, in they're in their Marvel vertical. They have a they have a thing the Multiverse saga, and it's a whole everything in the Multiverse saga leading up to Doomsday. And I was like, yeah, man, you know, like maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: I'll do this. You know.
Speaker 1: I remember in the lead up to Infinity War, I watched one Marvel movie a week eating up to Infinity and it was great. It was a it was a like perfect way to watch it. And then I'm just like scrolling through and I just keep scrolling, and then I stop because my fingers are getting tired. And then I scroll some more and I'm like Holy Jesus, there's so much right right right, It's too much, you know. Yeah, So I need like like a like a boiled down version of this, But I do. I do want to go through and Rewatch, you know, like Wanda Vision and you know some of those, especially like those earlier ones from like five six years ago that I don't even remember. Uh, but I'm in that headspace now, you know. Yeah, yeah, but it it is remarkable because because to me, the twin successes of the Odyssey and Spider Man Brand New Day. First of all, they prove the the unmatched trifecta of Tom Hollins and Day and John Burnhal obviously right, clearly box office gold, the three of them together.
Speaker 2: But like they need to do a road comedy exactly, I'd watch.
Speaker 1: It what they show, I mean it just it highlights what we've been talking about this this summer. Sequels are fine, just give people.
Speaker 2: Something new, totally yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 1: And guess what scarcity is the key?
Speaker 2: Yeah, those two things should be on a little cross stitch hanging in every studio's office.
Speaker 1: Right because because look at the three unmistakable successes of this summer Masters of the Universe, I'm just kidding, oh teer. Although, as predicted, that movie is cleaning up on Amazon Prime, vis A vis Views.
Speaker 2: I mentioned it to my brother that it was streaming already for free. You didn't even have to rent it, and he's like, oh, and then he started it.
Speaker 1: Yep, So we predicted that was going to happen. But Toy Story five, Odyssey, Spider Man, Brand New Day, uh, unquestionable smash hits and and again I think all three are franchises because I considered Nolan himself a franchise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, scarcity is the key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's been seven years since the last Toy Story, It's been three years since last Nolan, it's been five years since last Spider Man. So give us something, give us more of what we love, but give it, give us, give it to us in a new in a new way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not hardy would.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's really like because to me, I mean Master's Universe. Notwithstanding there's a whole separate list of reasons that was destined to fail. But Mowana and Mandalorian and Grogu are like people are just aren't going to line up for the same old shit anymore, you know, Hm, and let's widen the aperture a little bit, right, what are the big hits of this year? Michael back Rooms, Obsession, Right, Spider Man, Toy, Story of Odyssey. Between those six movies, you've got a pretty wide spectrum of the types of movies people will show up for, you know.
Speaker 2: And not all those would have showed up on some sort of algorithm.
Speaker 1: Out exactly, print out exactly what a fascinating test case twenty twenty six has been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the movies, Yeah, exciting one.
Speaker 1: I think I think we still got more more months.
Speaker 2: Yet we still got prime time.
Speaker 1: Baby. I know that's a comment. There's plenty more patents than a coming, don't you fret. But hey, those are our thoughts about about Spider Man's Box. I was anything else you wanted to add?
Speaker 2: Brian, uh No, No, I just uh, I don't know something about Spider Man. I want I want to watch it again.
Speaker 1: I've gotten in three. I think I'm done. But three three was good. I felt good about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just they've hit some magic formula with that series. I mean, the casting, the way that they've managed the characters, the stories. I mean, that's the thing too, is they made a story that I had to see, you know, after the ending of No Way Home, like I had to see what was going to happen next. And that's just great storytelling. So credit where credits.
Speaker 1: Do indeed, and and and by the way, I don't know if I mentioned this in our last episode, but I really enjoyed the way they wove the Hulk into this story because I did find him, uh integral in some ways, but more I liked the casualness of Peter rolling up to Bruce Banner's class and just being like hey and just asking him a question, because that gave me real like comic book vibes. Totally sure where you could do that, you know, where you would have an Avengers issue where Captain America gets you know, mister Fantastic on speed dial.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: But I am very curious about what they do with the Hulk next because I think it's interesting where they left him.
Speaker 2: M yeah, right.
Speaker 1: The fact that he's kept the Hulk bottled up all these years and the Hulk ain't happening it anymore, that's interesting, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I thought he was woven in very organically. I like, Yeah, good storytelling. Once again, I mean sometimes it feels like these extra characters are shoehorned in just to remind you that there's a bigger universe happening. But just everything was going right with this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, and I want to if I'm sure it's already happening, But but they would be very smart to lock in destined Daniel Krettin. Now that's it. This is like where the shittiness of just the Internet comes in. I've seen stories on the Internet about about people people showing up in old Instagram posts on John Watts's page saying hey, don't direct any more Spider Man movies, And I'm like, why y'all gotta be like that.
Speaker 2: The reason we're here is because you liked his movies.
Speaker 1: Like, I mean, honest to God, what what is?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Who raised you?
Speaker 2: I know? I know, I mean that's a special type of you know, messed up person, It really is. It just to be so they have the energy to be that hateful, you know.
Speaker 1: It's just I want to say to all those people, just hey, stop it, stop it, stop it. That's all. Anyway, that's all for me. Hey, if you have any thoughts on what we said, you can you can email us at moviefilm podcasts at gmail dot Comic can also hit like on our Facebook paid Facebook dot com Slash Movie Film Podcasts and message us there. As always, please go to Apple podcast and leave a review, leave me star rating. Every little bit helps. I would really love if y'all would leave some reviews on there, because I'd love to bring those totals up. But hey, if you're listening to the show on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe, and of course leave a comment there because we do read those on the show. Hey, we also have Patreon page right right.
Speaker 2: Yes, over at patreon dot com slash Movie Film podcast. Just head over there, hit subscribe, and for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done, every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free, and in addition to that, we have bonus conversations that drop over there about twice a month. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show, no ads or interruptions, butting into the of a conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in Abele, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe. You'd be very grateful.
Speaker 1: There you go. I just want to say, by the way, you know that whole that whole spiel that I do leading into our Patreon pitch, Yeah, that is from memory. That is that is muscle memory. That's like Ned at the end of Spider Man Brand New Day.
Speaker 2: With the handshake.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's just it's just it's just in my head. Yeah. And it just comes out almost verbatim every single week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and I'm like, you know this. You know, my mom, my brother, my nephew, they have memorized the entire Qur'an.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: I got this right, this is what I got.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm I'm proud of you. I'm impressed.
Speaker 1: Thanks man.
Speaker 2: You know, I really do and I really mean all this when I say this, I mean you you do steer the ship of this show. And it's really impressive because sometimes when we're going to do a headline or something and it's a story I'm interested in or I brought to the table, You'll go, oh, well don't you can lead off with it, And so I'll go okay in the news. Wait, hold on, Zachie, we got to start over like it's just there's a real you know, I don't know. It requires finesse and a steady hand, and you have that. You're very, very good at it. So I appreciate that about you.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate I was not fishing for the compliment, but I will. I will gladly accept it with the humble heart thing.
Speaker 2: I think you deserve it. I'm happy to give it.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, you're all right too. Thanks man, You're you're good.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Do you like stuff? But hey, if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zaki's Corner. That's the aka i as Corner. You can also read my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle, uh, including coming up my review of Lanterns on HBO Max, so look out for that in the next week or so. What about you, Brian, What do you have going on?
Speaker 2: You can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: Here we go and with that on behalf of my partner, Brian Hall. My name is Zachie Isson. This has been movie Film three forty nine. We will catch you next time. Thanks everybody, We will come.
Speaker 2: Friends Podcasts podcast Jackie by Ahead talking about