Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: And it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: And good morning.
Speaker 2: This is your wake up call for Tuesday, January seventh, twenty twenty five. I am Michael Monks filling in again for Amy King, and we've got some strong wins on the way. This is a particularly dangerous situation. This is about as bad as it gets in terms of fire weather. So you need to stay aware today of your surroundings.
Speaker 3: You need to be.
Speaker 2: Ready to evacuate, especially if you are in a high risk area for fire, and you need to be careful with your fire sources. Don't take that from me. Those are the words from the National Weather Service here in LA. They are not prone to hyperbolic language. So the Santa Ana win event forecasted for today and tomorrow appears to be a serious one. National Weather Service has called this a life threatening and destructive widespread wind storm. They're saying even areas that are not typically windy will be impacted, and obviously this means the threat of wildfires has been raised dramatically. Red flag warnings of critical fire danger are now in effect as of four o'clock this morning. They will stay in place until six o'clock Thursday evening for the Malibu Coast, the Santa Monica Mountains Recreational Area, the San Gabriel Valley, the San Fernando Valley, Calabasas, the Santa Clarita Valley, the San Gabriel Mountains, and the Golden State five Annalope Valley fourteen Freeway corridors. Then at noon today, the warning extends to include La County Beaches, the Palos Verdes Hills, Catalina Island, and the inland La County Coast stretching down into downtown La That red flag warning will be in place from ten o'clock this morning till six o'clock on Wednesday in the Antelope Valley, in the Annealope Valley Foothills, going all over the place. Entire region, the warnings will be upgraded to particularly Dangerous situation red flag warnings noting extremely critical wildfire conditions from noon today to four pm Wednesday for La County Beaches, the coastal area stretching into downtown, the Malibu Coast, the Santa Monica Mountains Recreational Area, the San Fernando Valley, the San Gabriel Valley, the San Gabriel Mountains, and the fourteen Freeway Corridor. Then an Orange County a red flag warning will be in place from one o'clock today this afternoon through six pm Thursday for the Santa Ana Mountains and inland parts of the county, including what the National Weather Service has called a particularly dangerous situation from seven am to one pm on Wednesday. Orange County coastal areas will be under a red flag warning from four pm to six pm Wednesday, So from four pm today to six pm tomorrow. We are going to stay on top of this from the start to the finish, so stick with us here at KFI. We'll have live reports throughout. We're going to monitor, We're gonna let you know what's going on. But you also need to stay close to your phone, keep charged, have your go bag ready. All of those warnings, all of those things they tell you about. Today seems like one of those days where you really need to take it seriously. All the conditions are right for it. We've been really dry, and these wins are coming and they're going to be very strong, hearing that these wins could be the strongest we've seen since like twenty eleven. So they're not messing around. We're telling us a lot of stuff. And it's the entire area that I just listed there, even downtown LA. I mean, these are parts of the region that are not typically prone to fire weather. But they're saying everybody needs to keep an eye out today, so that includes you. So good Tuesday morning. We got a fun hour ahead despite this looming over US. We'll have a lot of news coming up for your enjoyment, including President Biden's move to ban offshore oil and gas drilling around most of the coastal waters in the US came just before the President arrived here in southern California. So what does that move mean for California. We'll have a live report in just a moment. And President elect Trump has announced that he wants one big, beautiful bill encompassing a chunk of his policy proposals, whether they're related or not. But he has met some pushback from Republicans in Congress, so Trump is reportedly headed to the Capitol to talk with the GOP. We'll go live to Washington and then in Las Vegas. The Consumer Electronics Show now known only as CES has returned. We'll talk live about the gadgets that are on display, and then at the top of the hour, as always, handle on the news Bill handle Nil Savidra and I will be there and I hope that you will be there as well. President Biden has arrived in southern California. He plans to designate the Chuckwalla Mountains a national monument to protect them from development. That's not the only environmental action Biden has taken in recent days with a direct impact on California. So let's talk about this ban on new offshore oil and gas drilling. ABC White House, ABC White House correspondent Karen Travers joins US live from Washington, DC to discuss Karen, good morning to you. When we say banning new offshore oil and gas drilling, what do we mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a significant, sweeping executive action announced by the President yesterday to ban all future offshore oil and national gas drilling on America's East and West coast, the eastern Gulf of Mexico, and Alaska's North Bearing Sea. So they're kind of covering all the big spots and according to the White House. This move would block drilling in more than six hundred and twenty five million acres of US oceans. The President said in a statement yesterday that this is something that speech gooers, businesses people can all agree on that drilling off these codes could cause irreversible damage to places we hold dear. He said, it's unnecessary to meet the nation's energy needs and it's not worth the risks. Now, no surprise, the incoming Trump team is not happy with this move by the Biden White House, and the spokesperson for the President elect called this move political revenge and they sucker punch on their way out the door. Because the incoming Trump team wants to make energy production and drilling a priority on day one. You've heard that from the President election as a candidate. You know it's real baby drill, and this could make it much more difficult for them to move forward on that. But we'll see how they try to get around this. But notably, this law that the President used to take this executive action was written in such a way that it actually makes it almost permanent. If the Trump team wants to try to reverse it, they would likely have to have Congress change that law in order to make that happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he has set up a little bit of an obstacle on his way out the door. Exactly why do that now in just a few days left in his administration.
Speaker 4: That was a question yesterday to Karine Jean Pierre, the White host Press secretary on Air Force Laanhoes traveling with the president yesterday, and she was pepper with some questions about the timing of this, and she didn't get into the specifics of you know, why right now, especially given what the Trump team was saying about this, and she stuck to broadly just saying that this has been a big policy priority for this president over the last four years, pointing to his record on land and water conservation. So she said, you know, this is something he has been wanting to do. It is something he has done through other means over the past four years, and now they're trying to do it because they have a checklist they're trying to get to before their time is up.
Speaker 2: Karen, I know we only got a few minutes, a few moments left together, but what exactly does this policy mean for a place like California?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's significant when you look at given how sweeping this is. It bans any offshore oil and natural gas drilline off of the West Coast. That's one of the key areas there. And you know also, as I mentioned, the East Coast, the eastern Gulf Coast in Mexico, and then going all the way up to Alaska. You know, I think the big thing that we're going to be looking at is the permanency of this. You know, when the White House took this executive action, all executive actions are always subject to legal challenges and then reversal by the next president. You and I in two and a half weeks are going to be talking a lot about what the Trump administration is doing to reverse things that the Biden administration did. But they were clever about this one by turning to and authority on this. That makes it very challenging for the Trump team to undo it. This essentially makes this permanent right now. And it's about six hundred and twenty five million total acres of US ocean. I don't know how many of those are specific to California, but that is a very large chunk of American ocean.
Speaker 2: ABC News White House Correspondent Karen Travers Thank you so much for joining us this morning. We do appreciate it. Have a great day you do the same, and good morning to all of you. This is KFI wake up call. I'm Michael Monks filling in for Amy King. I want to let you know if you're just joining us, we are monitoring the Santa Ana wind forecast for our entire Southland area that is starting today all the way through Wednesday and parts of Thursday. It looks like we will have updates throughout this hour, throughout every newscast, and you can bet that we will have it throughout the day and all of our programs. So just stay aware, stay tuned to us, and keep your devices charged and handy. This does a to be a very dangerous situation brewing. We've got some more news coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. President Joe Biden has come to the Southland to announce the creation of a national monument near Joshua Tree National Park. The proclamation would establish a Chukwala National Monument, making drilling, mining, and other energy and industrial related activity illegal in the area. Supporters have also said it would protect important heritage values tied to the land, such as a multi use trail system established by indigenous peoples as well as their sacred sites. The La City Council is back to work today and is scheduled to consider final approval for a proposed billion dollar expansion of Television City. It'll also hear from nine groups that have formally opposed it. The plan is for up to one point four million square feet of new development, the retention of two hundred and sixty four thousand square feet of existing uses, and the demolition of nearly a half million square feed of space for new buildings. They say the number of stages that TV City would incur trees from eight to fifteen. Two stages built in the nineties would be taken down, but four original stages built by CBS back in nineteen fifty two would be preserved, along with other historical design elements. We got another round of bitter cold expected to take hold of these southern states after ice, snow, and wind already hammered much of the country in that direction. The storm system took down trees, it even threatened to freeze in Florida. The National Weather Service said that by early Tuesday this morning, wind chilled temperatures could dip into the teens to low twenties from Texas across the Gulf Coast. They say a low pressure system is then expected to form as soon as tomorrow, bringing snow to parts of Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Again, we are monitoring this situation involving the red flag warnings and the strong winds that are on the way. A quick reminder, the National Weather Service here in La It has called this a particularly dangerous situation. They say it could be life threatening. They also note that it is probably widespread. There are different warnings and forecasts for just about every corner of the Southland area. So this is a day to take those warnings seriously and to pay attention to what's going on around you. If they say to get out, or if you feel like you need to get out, you're probably feeling the right thing. The strongest winds in more than a decade could hit southern California today. We are facing possible structural damage and an extreme fire risk at a time where we haven't seen substantial rain in months. It is dangerous and potentially life threatening, according to the National Weather Service. So starting this afternoon, the windstorm will impact Los Angeles and Ventura counties. It will peak in the early hours of Wednesday, when the gusts could reach eighty miles per hour. Now in the mountains. In the foothills, they say the gusts could be even higher, like more than one hundred miles per hour. The Weather Services warned of down trees and knocked over big rigs, trailers, motor homes. They say powerful powerful offshore gust could also bring dangerous conditions off the coasts of Orange County and LA including Catalina Island. Potential delays and turbulence could arise at local airports. I mean, it's every single part of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area that could be impacted by these winds that are rolling in. And this is another potential consequence public safety power shutoffs. They're being considered for nearly three hundred thousand customers across the region, including Southern California's Edison So So Cal Edison, You're gonna have to pay attention today. We're gonna bring you all of the details as we get them all morning, all afternoon, all evening, and night long right here on KFI. So stay with us, but also keep your devices charged and get your go bag ready in case the situation gets bad where you are. Since the war between Israel and Hamas started, we have heard cries for ceasefire, from international leaders to the White House to college campuses right here in southern California. There have been some close calls, and now we may be closer to the latest one. Both the outgoing and incoming presidents have wanted to see the fighting stopped, but negotiations currently have become bogged down over the names of hostages to be released. ABC News correspondent Jordana Miller joins US Live from Jerusalem to talk about it. Good morning to you, Jordana.
Speaker 5: Good morning. Hamas has said that they have approved a list of thirty four hostages that they are willing to release in the first part of a ceasefire. It's important to note, though, that Hamas has not said who is alive and who is dead on this list, and it does include the names of two Americans, one in their sixty and a younger Israeli American in his thirties. This list of hostages has not been really it has not been seen officially or given back officially to the Israelis. It's a list that Israel initially gave to the mediators in the summertime, and so there's some questions about why Hamas has released it or why they're talking about it in the press instead of passing it through the mediators to Israel. So some here see it as a move to kind of pressure Israel, and of course it is. You know, it has stirred the Israeli public as anything related to the hostage issue or crisis does. Right, there's thirty four names on the list, but there's you know, ninety six hostages. So here in Israel, some of the families are you know, are cautiously optimistic when they saw the names of their loved ones on the list, but others are just furious that that you know, over sixty hostages are not on this list. What will be their fate? So you know, again that is you know, there are protests here daily against the government of calling on them to really negotiate for a full swap all the hostages, for a large number of Palestinian prisoners to be released, but that is not clearly, that is not where the negotiations are going. As we see a partial deal being talked about. Even though this list is out there, we are still not at the finish line, we heard Sector of State Anthony Blincoln say he hopes to complete a deal. I think it is before President Trump returns to the White House. I think it is highly, highly unlikely, unfortunately, because there's still obstacles and disputes. You know, will the Israeli army withdraw all of their forces? Will this seafire mean the end of the war or just the seafire? How many Palestinian prisoners will be released for each American versus each Israeli female soldier versus you know, just an ordinary Israeli the numbers are all different. They haven't been agreed upon. So we're still, i would say, unfortunately, weeks away from a ceasefire deal.
Speaker 2: I was just about to ask you what a ceasefire would mean, and you explained it just then. It seems like no one really knows. Does it mean we just stopped fighting for a little while? Is the war over? So that's another sticking point. But also as it relates to the list of hostages who are on these lists, it's been reported that Hamas doesn't know which hostages or are alive or dead.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right. Hamas says they don't know, and that's another sticking point. Israel wants to know what they're getting in this deal before they sign it, and that's because Hamas acted in bad faith during the last ceasefire. Even though over one hundred fifty people came out of Gaza back in November of twenty twenty three, still Hamas did not end up faithfully completing that deal. They were supposed to release every female that they had, every female Israeli's hostage, and they did not do that. They're still over a dozen that they're holding, including young Israeli girls, with the grave concern that they, you know, are being sexually assaulted. Right their names do appear on this list of thirty four to come out. In the first phase, Hamas is asking for several days of a ceasefire to try to locate and figure out what's happening with the hostages, who's alive and who's dead. But of course Israel has, you know, a certain amount of skepticism, and they're not, you know, there's a huge trust gap of course between the sides. And in the past Hamasa said, we don't know where this hostage is. We think so and so is dead, and they've turned out to be alive and Hamas turns them over. So you know, is Hamas telling the truth? Do they really not know about where most of these hostages are or are they saying that to buy extra time.
Speaker 2: We're talking with ABC News correspondent Ordana Miller, who is live in Jerusalem, and before we let you go this morning, we are facing a significant change here in America. The White House will be in different hands on January twenty, President Biden leaving office, President Elect Trump resuming office, returning to office. What can we expect in terms of the approach by the US to this conflict when that change takes place in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's clear when we look at some of the remarks from Israeli officials that you know, they expect that President Trump will support what Israel wants to do next. Obviously that wasn't always the case with President Biden, for better and for worse. But I think here the assessment is that Israel's going to wait to really sign a Gaza cease fire until after Trump's in office, hoping that Trump may be able to put pressure on the mediators, cutter on Egypt. Those who are the greatest influence over Hamas to get them to finally crack if you will, Hamas. Many people believed that once Ja Chessinoir, the head of Hamas, was killed by the Israelis, which happened, you know, several weeks ago, you know, in October, a couple months ago, many believed that Hamas would soften their position once he was out. But his brother has now taken over the negotiations and he has not again showed flexibility on the issue of ending the war of an Israeli true presence, on the identity of Palestinians that will be released. And so the hope, I think of many Israeli politicians is that when Trump comes into office, he'll be able to exert more pressure on the mediators and back Israel if it wants to continue the military operation in Gaza. There's still combat in the northern part of Gaza and central Gaza, until Hamas feels that they're under more pressure to cave in or show flexibility. So I think many, you know, here in Jerusalem, the political class are waiting for Trump to come into office. They think it will work Togral's benefit, and it likely will.
Speaker 2: ABC News correspondent Jordana Miller joining us live from Jerusalem. We really appreciate the time you gave us, and I hope we get to talk again soon.
Speaker 5: Thanks Tucson.
Speaker 2: We're going to be heading to CES in Las Vegas momentarily, but we are we connected yet? Are connected? All right? We're gonna get onto The Consumer Electronics Show is what it used to be called. Now it's just called CES. And every year in Vegas, the tech world companies and their enthusiasts they gather for this thing and a lot of people go to this Tech names like Google and Samsung are there, but so are Delta, Volvo and Laoreal. We'll see things like a self driving John Deere tractor, talk about your Way mo Am I right, and smart baby bassinettes microwaves with tablets built in. ABC News Technology reporter Mike Debuski he joins his Live Now to talk about it all. Good morning to you, Mike.
Speaker 3: Good morning. How are you? I am well?
Speaker 2: So CES starts today. What does this event mean to the tech industry and consumers.
Speaker 6: Well, it is the tech world's annual trade show, and it takes place in Las Vegas at the beginning of every year. It's a way for the tech world to really set the tone for the year ahead. Organizers they're expecting about one hundred and forty thousand people to descend on Las Vegas, thousands of exhibitors as well, across about a dozen different buildings around the city, including some of the biggest convention centers in the country. And this year is perhaps no surprise all about artificial intelligence. AI has taken over the tech world in a big way in recent years, and that's absolutely showing up here at CES, as evidenced by the fact that the keynote address kicking everything off last night in Las Vegas was given by Jensen Huang. He's the CEO of Invidia, that is, of course the computer chip company that really took off in twenty twenty four because their processors are really good at running and building AI programs, and Vidia has really become the go to company for Meta and Amazon and Google and others when they're building their own AI technologies. Gary Shapiro is the head of the organization that puts on CES, and he told me in the lead up to this event that he's expected about half of the exhibitors on the floor to mention generative AI in some capacity.
Speaker 3: So AI is the big thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I imagine there's going to be a lot of oohing and eyeing over it, a lot of showing off of what folks can do with AI. But at the same time, the role that this technology plays in our everyday lives, it's become a regular topic for discussion and even concern for lawmakers for the public. Does that loom over this event at all or is it all just horay horay?
Speaker 6: I think it does in some capacity, right, AI, you know, really kind of has been It's been around for a very long time, but the recent wave of AI excitement and AI hype really started with the launch of j GPT in twenty twenty two, and since then the technology has yet to answer some pretty crucial questions, things like energy consumption. This is a very power hungry type of technology and it puts a lot of strain on energy grids and local environments, so that is something that they haven't quite f figured out yet. In addition to that, the ability by which people can easily spread miss and disinformation using AI tools that are now readily accessible to them continues to be a lingering concern beyond just the simple practical matter of the fact that a lot of these technologies just aren't very good yet, right. They hallucinate, they make mistakes, they make things up, and that is something that continues to plague even the top players in the industry. Nonetheless, people at CEES are already touting artificial intelligence as the way forward. Google, for example, says it's going to bring its AI technology, which they call Gemini, into their line of smart home products, which they call Nest products. HP and Dell have announced a bevy of new laptop PCs that they say are designed from the ground up to run AI programs, and there's even an LGTV TVs are always really big at CEES that they say will run AI programs to help sharpen images to make your picture quality a little bit better depending on how what kind of file you're watching, and they call that.
Speaker 3: The o led Evo TV. So it's already showing up in a pretty big way here at the show.
Speaker 2: We're talking with ABC News technology reporter Mike Debuski about CEES and all the gadgets and tech on display there in Las Vegas. I'm wondering, are there stakes for companies at this event? Is it like a Super Bowl commercial? Thing you really want to be the one that people talk about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think a good way to think about CES is not necessarily like, you know, means by which to look at stuff that you're gonna buy, but rather kind of a popularity contest or a talent show maybe is the better comparison. Last year, we saw a company called Rabbit breakout with an AI device that they called the r One. It was kind of the darling of the show. It had this fun design that was bright orange and it looked like an old, kind of retro piece of technology from the nineteen eighties, and people really kind of fell in love with this thing at CES and they saw a lot of pre orders as a result. Of course, it's worth mentioning later in the year when reviewers got their hands on the thing, it didn't quite work as intended or as explained, But that is kind of what CES is all about, right. It's a place for these smaller companies to have a breakout moment and really capture the attention of the broader tech press. It was Rabbit's game last year. It's still too early to say who's going to be the big winner this year, but you know, competitors, big and small from companies that you've never heard of to Google's and Samsung's and Hyundai and Sony you know, are all at the show as well. So we're gonna have to just wait and see who kind of breaks out.
Speaker 2: Oh, what are the buzziest gadgets that might end up in people's homes or possessions soon.
Speaker 6: So there's several. There's an LG signature over the Range microwave oven in case your microwave oven doesn't have enough screen on it. This one has a twenty seven inch Android tablet that you can run apps on like Zoom. Because it's got cam as well, you can track, you know, the status of your popcorn as it's popping in the microwave oven as well using those cameras. LG says it's just a concept, but based on reception that they're going to get at this show, they could put it into production before the end of the year. Some robo vacuum announcements at CEES this year. There's this company called Dream that has a robot vacuum that it says can push itself up small inclines, which is pretty interesting, not stairs or anything like that. They say it can only kind of do this up to two point five inches. But this robot vacuum kind of looks like an old rumba, has little arms that you know, deploy and can kind of push itself up these small little lips that it can encounter in a person's home. And another robot vacuum piece of news is called the robo rock. This has a retractable arm that can come out and move things that are in its way out of the way, so dog toys or arrant socks, or laundry or anything like that. That's what the robo rock is designed to address. And then I got another fun one for you, but you might want to hold your nose for it. It's called the re This is what bosh China is calling a smart baby crib. And this crib has a sensor in it that can detect changes in air quality. Oh, I see where you're going with you see where I'm going with this, and it can alert you when your baby needs a diaper change, so that might be very helpful to some new parents. It also, of course has a heart and a respiratory sensor in it as well as he can keep track of your bad baby's status. That is already in production. It's one thousand dollars and it's only available in China right now, but again, based on reception at this show, that could change.
Speaker 2: Well, all I have is a cat, and he has no problem letting me know when it's time to change that litterbox. But maybe someday that product will appeal to me as well. Mike Debuski, ABC News Technology reporter in New York, thank you so much for joining us Live today. We do appreciate you, of course, take care. President Biden has arrived in La and is traveling to the Coachella Valley today to announce the creation of a national monument south of Joshua Tree National Park. The President and first late He got here last night after visiting families of terror victims in New Orleans. Biden is preparing to sign a proclamation that would establish a Chukwala National Monument, making drilling, mining, and other energy and industrial related activity illegal in that area. An earthquake has killed at least ninety five people in Tibet, damaged hundreds of homes as well, and also impacted a high altitude region of western China and areas of Nepal many other areas. Excuse me, many others were trapped. Dozens of aftershocks have shaken that remote region. The state funeral of President Jimmy Carter moves to the nation's capital after memorials in Georgia. His body will be taken from the Carter Presidential Center today and flown to Washington aboard Special Air Mission thirty nine in honor of the thirty ninth President. The Carter family and former president will arrive at Joint Base Andrews with a motorcade following to the US Navy Memorial. Carter's flag draped casket will be transferred to a horse drawn carriage or his final journey to the Capitol. And then we got Bill Handle coming up at six zho five. It'll be Handle on the news this morning. Bill Handle, Nil Sevidra and I will be there. We hope you'll be there as well. We'll be talking about these Santa Ana wins and the threats of fire. Certainly, President elect Trump often changes his mind, even right before all our eyes. The latest example has maybe come this week, shortly after he called for one big, Beautiful bill encompassing much of his campaign promises, border security, domestic energy production, a renewal of his tax cuts from his first term, no tax on tips and more. It's kind of back down a bit after facing opposition from Republicans. So what happened and what happens next? ABC News National correspondent Stephen Portnoy joins his live from Washington, d C. Stephen, Good morning to you, well.
Speaker 3: Good morning to you. Well tell me remember, yeah, you remember.
Speaker 7: That Schoolhouse Rock episode all about budget RECONCILLI right.
Speaker 2: I think so? Was Becca Ferguson the singer.
Speaker 7: No, Unfortunately there was no such episode, and so as a result, I have to now explain to you this process of how this all works to try to avoid a filibuster in the Senate. Budget reconciliation is the process by hammering through along party lines, major pieces of legislation that the minority party in the Senate can't block. This was the process that Democrats used to get Obamacare passed, and the Inflation Production Act and a whole bunch of other Biden priorities. It's also the same procedure that Republicans used to muscle through the Trump era tax cuts, and those tax cuts are now expiring. So how do Republicans who control the House and Senate get this done? And at a thirty thousand foot viewpoint, what they want to do is they want to accomplish a lot. They want border provisions, energy provisions, tax provisions, debt provisions, spending things, and all of it. The question is whether they're going to do it in one big, beautiful bill as Donald Trump has spoken of, or split it in two as Senate leaders are talking about it. They've wanted to do because they see it just they think it's just easier to do and perhaps more just smarter in their minds. Challenge for Speaker Mike Johnson is to keep pretty much every single one of his Republicans in line behind the package. And if he's afraid if you start picking various parts off, there'll be some in his caucus to say, I want this but not that. And how do you accomplish the entire goal if you have some of the members breaking off. He can't as we saw last Friday when he had his election for Speaker. He can't afford to lose more than one vote. And you have a number of moderates from mainly the Northeast, who come from high tax states such as New Jersey and New York, Connecticut and other places who have made that majority because without those Republicans, Speaker Johnson doesn't have the gavel at all. They want a restoration of that state and local tax deduction, and they've been demanding it for years. Say that this is their moment of maximum leverage.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, well Trump coming to talk to them today.
Speaker 7: Or no, No, he's right, So he's going to be on Capitol Hill tomorrow. We expect he's gonna meet with Senate Republicans at least. But look, the question is how are they going to proceed? And we're not even talking about the details. We're talking about the broad strategy here is gonna be one bill or two bills, easy enough, And yet it has to be decided right off the bat because the way this process works, the House and Senate have to pass a budget resolution that doesn't go to the President's desk. It's just between the two houses. They agree on that, and then they have to pass enacting legislation behind it that does wind up becoming enacted into law the President signs it. So at first the leaders have to agree on a handshake between themselves, and there is a bit of a philosophical disagreement. One bill or two and yesterday on a radio interview, President Elect Trump said that he'd prefer one bill, but if it has to be two, that's okay too. And the lack of some you know, firm guidance to the members isn't helpful because there is this little minor simmering debate should it be one bill or two bills? And unless the President elect chooses one path, you're gonna continue to have that disagreement.
Speaker 2: Well, regardless of how many bills we end up with. Here are we seeing that the President elect and his Republican Congress intend to move swiftly on those campaign promises.
Speaker 7: Well, certainly that's the plan. I mean, look for this to make sense and happen. They want to do it as soon as possible. They want to hit the ground running. They want to confirm Trump's nominees in the Senate. They want to move this border, immigration, as energy at tax bill as swiftly as possible in the House. But again, in order for them to move forward, they really do need agreement between House and Senate leaders, and that is the first step.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: Senator Foon, the South Dakota Republican who now leads the Senate Republican majority, has said he wants two bills, and that lobbying to try to persuade Trump to back that continues, which is why Trump said yesterday, Oh, if.
Speaker 3: It's two bills, that's okay too. Not okay for Speaker Johnson.
Speaker 7: He sees strategically the importance of having it in one package. And again, this really does need to get resolved in order for anything to happen on the House side.
Speaker 2: Occasionally there have been Democrats coming out in support of some of Trump's policy proposals, like no tax on tips. But if they lump it together in these bills with things that they find a little more deplorable, does that threaten its success without democratic support?
Speaker 3: Well, it's hard to know.
Speaker 7: I mean, look, the idea that Democrats would be on board with some of these border provisions or just general tax policies, I think is unlikely, and this will be seen as a partisan package. If there happen to be a couple of Democrats who come on board, well that'll be a big surprise and it'll be helpful to Speaker Johnson. I just don't think it's likely, and I don't think he thinks it's likely either. They intend to move forward on a party line basis, because they have the majorities in both houses, and so they're going to try to do that if it can win a couple of Democrats get them on board, well.
Speaker 3: Bully for them.
Speaker 7: But they don't feel the need to necessarily sweeten the pot for Democrats, at least not yet, and it's going to be a difficult challenge. You mentioned in particular that no tax on tips idea. It was certainly a popular idea for Trump, and he reiterated the importance of it earlier in the week when he posted on social media about it to remind everybody in his own party that he called for it, no tax on tips and all caps. Well, sure, except if you are a wage earner who doesn't earn tips and you don't get that break, and you know you're a truck driver or a construction worker, and you know, well, sorry for you. And never mind the fact that there's a cost to the treasury if you remove that taxation. Well, how do you cover that cost? Who gets the tax increase to make up the difference? Or where do you cut the spending? What government agency or program get gets cut? And never mind the fact that some of the Freedom Caucus want to see it cuts two of the entitlement programs, social Security and Medicaid and medicare. Donald Trump's not on board for that, So it all seems very easy until you start putting pen to paper.
Speaker 2: That's ABC News National correspondent Steven Portnoy, who always breaks it down so well for us. Although next time you mentioned Schoolhouse Rock, I do hope you sing a little bit for us. Thank you, warm up a little bit more coffee, all right, have a great day. Thanks for being with us again, you bet well. We're watching these strong winds as they are set to blow across the Southland. The National Weather Service has called this a dangerous situation, potentially life threatening, destructive, wide spread windstorm. They're not mincing words. They don't use hyperbolic language at the NWS here in LA and they say even areas that are not typically windy could be impacted today, tomorrow, maybe a little into Thursday. They say the thread of wildfires has been raised dramatically. We've got red flag warnings already in place for some places as of four o'clock this morning. That includes the Malibu Coast, the Santa Monica Mountains recreational area, the San Gabriel Valley, the San Fernando Valley, Callabasas, the Santa Clarita Valley, the San Gabriel Mountains, the five and fourteen freeway corridors, and then at new today we got a warning extending to include the La County Beaches, the Palas Verdes Hills, Catalina Island, the inland La County Coast, stretching all the way into downtown La and there will be more coming out across the region ten am this morning to six pm Wednesday. The Antelope Valley joins the list and then they'll be upgraded to particularly dangerous situation a little bit later this afternoon as the Weather Service monitors the situation. It's not good conditions out there. So this is one of those fire weather condition scenarios where we want to pay very close attention to everything that's happening. We want to be prepared, we want to be toned into KFI. We'll give you the latest information, keep your devices charge, have your go bag ready when they tell you to evacuate. Probably a good idea to evacuate, even if you just get the feeling that maybe you should get out of dodge. You might trust your instinct there. It's it's a tough one. We haven't had enough rain. We really haven't had any nothing more than a tenth of an inch since last May. That's made it really dry out there. It's created a lot of fuel. They're sending a lot of firefighters down from northern California. I mean, they are preparing for a serious situation. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but let's be prepared just in case it does. And this is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Outside of those winds, the Santa Ana wins and the fire conditions, the regular old forecast says it'll be sunny, well highs around seventy from the beaches to downtown La mid sixties to around seventy in the San Fernando Valley, the sixties to around seventy in the San Gabriel Valley, mid sixties in the Santa Clarita Valley. It will be lower to mid fifties in the Antelope Valley. Right now, it is forty nine in Lahabra, fifty eight in Calabasas, forty five in San Juan Capistrano. And if you want in El Segundo. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and technical producer Kono and will Cole Schreiver with traffic. I am Michael Monks in for Amy King again, and this has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake Up Call and it was a good hour, you can listen at any time you like on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.