Speaker 1: Thank you, John.
Speaker 2: It is eight oh five here Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news radio eight forty w h as not something you you see very often, and that is a senator being seemingly tackled to the ground. That makes it kind of feel I kind of feel like I'm exaggerating that, but it all that I think that's actually what happened. Maybe I'm hesitating and feeling like I'm exaggerating because it just doesn't seem real. But yesterday, uh that that's that's what we saw as the continued battle between Gavin Newsom and President Trump. Obviously, there's there was the the the ruling yesterday that blocked Trump from deploying the National Guard, basically giving control back to Gavin Newsom in California at the state level, and then that was a quickly over that was quickly overturned in the appeals court.
Speaker 1: So what a week it has been.
Speaker 2: When it comes to just not only what is going on in the actual streets in Los Angeles and other cities as well with these protests going on those that are very much against the immigration plan from from Donald Trump, but also just the fighting from leaders and again to see Alex Badia, the Senator of California, force to the ground, handcuffed as he's trying to question the Homeland Security Secretary. It's one of those things you just throw it in that bag of things that you know are real because you watched it.
Speaker 1: You know it's real because it's news. But it's just I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm new to news. I guess that in certain aspects. But I feel like that's this is still something that even a few years ago you wouldn't expect to see.
Speaker 1: But here we are, Yeah, here we are.
Speaker 3: It's nothing surprises me.
Speaker 4: It's after COVID, I think, is when it turned the corner for me, and because everything was pretty much status quo. We had our elections, we had well, maybe i'll take that back. Maybe nine to eleven was when things started to change, when I really said that was the first time I really noticed. In fact, my old office used to be right there on Shelby Street.
Speaker 3: Nine to eleven.
Speaker 4: I just remember seeing all the planes coming out of the air non stop. And that's when I thought, this is surreal, what's going on here? And then I thought we were over that. Then COVID had and now.
Speaker 3: We're at this point now, we were so politically just.
Speaker 4: Charged, yeah, charged divide, we don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, it may this may sound like I'm sensationalizing it, but we have never been more divided exactly ever, and it's it's quite clear, and I don't really see that changing anytime soon, if I'm being honest with you, And the thought of that just being the new norm for the rest of my time here is not what I would want. But I'd be a liar if I said that I see light at the end of the tunnel to where you can you can clearly be on different sides of the aisle coexist together without so much tension and at times just nastiness. And that's that's what I mentioned a little bit earlier. This is probably not that rare. I'm sure it's happened, you know, from time to time for generations. But there's way more of being really loud about out what the others doing wrong than what you stand for and advocate for.
Speaker 1: Can you believe this guy?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's sort of what happened yesterday with the Senator in California.
Speaker 1: I mean, he let's not act.
Speaker 2: Like and he started with the if he would treat a senator like this, imagine how he would treat a farmer or And I'm paraphrasing here, and I'm thinking, well, also, I don't know if many other senators would typically have approached that situation the way that he did. But you know, you've got Newsom on social media this week just talking about how awful Trump is and how scary this situation is. And it's not surprising that he has those thoughts. But it's just look at this guy. Look over there, Look, look look at what they're doing. Can you believe this? Can you believe how they're acting? And again that's probably not new, that's politics, right, but man, it's just it's instead of really embracing and sticking mostly with just your views, your beliefs, your policies, your party, it's more so just fighting with the other publicly.
Speaker 3: And that's what I learned. That's what I learned over time.
Speaker 4: Believe me, there are things that will get me politically charged internally, but I've learned, especially through this business, a lot of them I keep to myself.
Speaker 3: I don't even mention around my family.
Speaker 2: Oh I've got I've got I've got beliefs, I've got thoughts, and I just I'm in a good place to where I realize there's really not there's not a chance of real productive conversation.
Speaker 1: I will keep that to myself. That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 2: All right, we've got traffic and weather coming your way. And also we're gonna chat with my friend Page of Thornton She's gonna stop in studio and hang out for a few looking forward to that. But next, your next update of trafficking weather is right here, right now on news radio eight forty whas. All right, it's eight fifteen here at Kentuckyate's Morning news on news Radio eight forty whas. Thank you for hanging out with us, and a big thanks to my friend Page of Thornton's who has joined us here in studio. Good morning, Page, how are you?
Speaker 5: Good morning? I'm great, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 2: I am happy to have you in studio. For those who know me from my previous I guess job in radio, I've been fueled by Thornton's for a long time. Big part of my brand. Hopefully I don't embarrass you guys sometimes with that, but I have a lot of fun with it, and I love Thornton's.
Speaker 1: It's become.
Speaker 2: Actually, the story I've told that really makes me realize that it's working. The people associate me with it is a couple of years ago, I was at a Louisville football game and I ran into a fan who was with his daughter who'd mentioned that he listens to the show, and you know, just saying hey, and then he said, hey, I don't remember what his daughter's name was, but it's the Thornton's guy, because they'd listened to me in the mornings when they were going to work when I was doing morning shows.
Speaker 1: So it's working.
Speaker 2: People know and they associate me with Thornton's, which I hope again that's a benefit to you guys. But one thing that I like to emphasize about Thornton's because there's gas station convenience stores that are popping up everywhere. It seems as if when one is in a certain location, it won't take long for another one to pop up near it. But with you guys, Thornton's, you're everywhere. You're not just in the Kentuckian area. And I don't know if a lot of people know that, and really I guess it's not important, but there's still clearly a local connection. People think Thornton's they think more so local than some others that are around here. I mean that's got a benefit you guys that people feel like it's the local it's the local store.
Speaker 5: Yeah, correct, So we like to think of it as more of like your neighborhood store since we're from here and we've been here for quite some time, like we're your favorite local store.
Speaker 2: And the donuts is all anybody's been talking about when it comes to Thornton's here recently, it's Donut Month. I get up really early now and one it was last week I stopped in and it was very early. I mean I'm talking like middle of the night almost because that's now my new schedule. And the donuts were there that there were multiple trays, there were the glades, there was the colorful donuts, and you guys are really emphasizing that you've you've got the best donuts in town. I mean I say that, I'm not sure if other people believe it, but you guys are taking care of Father's for Father's Day weekend with donuts, right.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 5: Yes, So this being donut Month, we have this weekend Father's Day weekend. So if you're a Refreshing Rewards member, on Saturday, you can get a dozen donuts for twelve dollars and on Sunday you can get a half a dozen for six dollars.
Speaker 2: Hooked a up that it'd be a great way to celebrate Father's Day, right, Who doesn't love some donuts. So the Refreshman Awards membership, there's a lot of perks to that, many of them actually, But when it comes to saving money at the gas pump, unless you're driving an electric vehicle, you're gonna need to put fuel in your car. But there's once per week you can get twenty five cents off up to twenty five cents off per gallon. I mean, that's incentive enough for people to sign up to be a member. And that's got to be one of one of the many reasons why you guys have such a good strong membership to where people because once you pick where you're gonna go and it becomes your place, which you should pick Thornton's, it just becomes part of your routine.
Speaker 5: Correct, So be in that Refresher Rewards member. Every Wednesday, we send out our weekly fuel offer and it could could range anywhere from five cents up to twenty five cents. So we like to kind of play it up every week and surprise our guests with something different.
Speaker 4: What I told Nick was, I like some fresh fruit in the morning, but I come in so early the grocery store is not open.
Speaker 3: Well, guess who is.
Speaker 4: Or And and to your point, I've gotten to know the good folks. I got to the one on I was getting confused, Breckenridge, Taylors Joe Road, right off the Waterstin and I know the folks in there now. And in fact, one lady she calls me doctor every time I walk in because she thought I was a doctor when I walked in for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: So now it's a running joke and she goes, hey doctor.
Speaker 4: And when I stop on my way home, it's like, you get to know those folks. And to your point, it's nice if I'm going to the gym, I can stop. And your energy drinks the wall are just amazing. But the more important thing, and Nick knows this, we talked about it this weekend.
Speaker 1: Your stores are clean.
Speaker 3: They're clean. Not every gas station is clean in this town.
Speaker 4: That stands out and sure, and you're in your your food items are just it doesn't matter if I go to that Thornton's, the one on Hurstmorn Lane. Your stores are clean and the food items are accessible. You know, You're not just somebody's not grabbing your hot dog off the rollers and back. You can walk up, you can prepare your own food.
Speaker 3: It's laid out nice, even for coffee. It's great. Yeah, you do. I smell them every time.
Speaker 2: I man, every time I end up at a Thornton's, I end up seeing a menu item that I did not know existed. I mean, I know the pizza has been there, and the different wings that you guys have, but now you've got I mean, I took a picture this morning when I stopped in Mango hobb and arrow boneless wings, the barbacue chicken pizza, pizza slices and cheesy bread with the mari and Aara sauce. That's clearly become a big thing in the industry as to serving high quality food and and you guys are certainly doing it. But I'm just curious, how does it, like, how do the new items come together. I'm sure you guys have a team that that works on that specifically, but tell them they're doing a good job for me.
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, So our innovation team has been done a great job with coming up with new and creative ways of you know, with the food the donuts. So even this fall we're gonna have some new flavored donuts. So right now, our summer one is the wild berry donut. This summer, of course, everyone or this fall everyone loves pumpkin.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you and Nick Knight have presented this to me. Our industry is very, very competitive, and and we.
Speaker 1: See it seemed like getting more competitive, like by the day it is.
Speaker 4: And so how important is you is it to Thornton's that you stay on top of it? And if a customer comes into a Thorntons and says, hey, listen, I want to see I want a blueberry donut, you know they can reach out to you guys and address these right.
Speaker 5: We have a fantastic guest services team that takes calls emails and then we send those over to the food team, and between food team and marketing and operations, we all do a fantastic job.
Speaker 3: Because you don't ever think about that.
Speaker 4: You know you're in there and you go I wish you guys had this, or we don't give enough praise.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 4: And I've thought about picking up the phone a couple of times and saying, hey, thank you for offering it, because I walked into Thornton's one time and the guy goes, oh, man, I'm sorry, we don't.
Speaker 3: Have nance data shipment didn't come in, which happens, and.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's part of it, but it was.
Speaker 4: But you know, I wanted to reach out to Thorntons and say, hey, I just appreciate you being open and being there for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, so my kids they now they now call it Thornton's. It used to just be the Icy Store, so my kids and I didn't realize I was probably making myself sound like a really bad dad because they're nutritious. Breakfast for a long time, not every day, but often was either a donut, actually sometimes a donut and a Fizz Freeze Slushyet so I'm working, I'm working on the branding of it. They used told just call it icy at the Icy Store. Now they know it's Thornton's, and now they know it's called fizz Freeze and.
Speaker 1: They enjoy it.
Speaker 2: But that's one of the it's part of the frequency Club, which for those who don't know what that is, there's certain items that if you search you purchase them a certain amount of times it's free. So when you put your phone number in and I guess maybe some people could keep count, but it's like a game with me, like I know eventually I'm going to get a free one. I think it's after like the eighth or ninth, and you know, it's like it's like a win when you're checking out, And I know, I don't think all locations have it just yet, but the self checkout is an absolute game changer. I don't I now if I ever end up elsewhere and there's not a self checkout, it just seems like, what the heck are they doing? They're way behind the times, because you can literally, even with a store that has a good amount of people in it, especially before work, after work and whatnot, you can get in there, grab what you want, and potentially be out in ninety seconds. Like that's not an exaggeration, it's it's that convenient. That quick are those I mean that is that just the newer ones that have those.
Speaker 5: Mostly we're starting to get those in all the applications.
Speaker 1: Because you've got it. You got I'm sure people.
Speaker 2: I'm sure people feel like if they didn't have it and then it's implemented, they realize this is great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we want to get you in and out the door. We want we want to get you in and we want to talk to you because you're our guest in our store. But we also want to get you out because we know that you're on the go and you have places that you need to be and things you need to be doing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 2: So real quick, tell us once again about the Father's Day donut deal, just so folks can can be aware of how they need to hook dad up with Thornton's for Father's Day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so every day for the rest of this month in June it's Donut Month Thornton's Donut Month, and this weekend Father's Day. So tomorrow twelve dollars for a dozen, and Sunday is six dollars for a half dozen.
Speaker 2: Can't beat it page. Thank you for stopping by. Always good to check with you, and we will talk soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get an update of traffic and weather and we'll also get another update on News coming away with John Shannon in about six minutes right here on Kentucky This Morning News news Radio eight forty whas all right eight forty five here at Kentucky, and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas the one and only Tony VINEEDDI is with us as Tony and Dwider are set to take over here at about fifteen minutes.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you why this world series feels different than the others, and tell me about an analogy.
Speaker 1: Can I guess? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: They have a little bit more house money here.
Speaker 2: We weren't. They didn't have momentum going into this one to where it kind of feels like, well, it's been a long time since we've been here, and we really didn't think we were going to be here maybe two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: So let's just play loose. Is that it ding d ding ding?
Speaker 6: But I will give you I'll give you an analogy of why it feels like from the fan standpoint too. Right, there's a lot of people traveling up there. The fans are like, this is awesome. Why Because I covered the Orange Bowl with the team U of L. It's the biggest bowl we've ever been into or UFL has been into. And they had a feeling. I was there twelve days in Miami with a team.
Speaker 1: How'd you pull that off?
Speaker 3: They told me.
Speaker 6: They were like, hey, you're traveling with a team. I was like, okay, we checked into the trump going in it.
Speaker 1: Being able to go at all would be a gift. You were there twelve days. Twelve days. Trust me. My wife with two small children, was so happy. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember when I went to Miami for a football game. I was going two days and I was like, Honey.
Speaker 1: I gotta work.
Speaker 2: I know it's Miami, you know, It's just so Boss is really on me about it.
Speaker 6: So there was that feeling. Orange Bowl. This was the biggest ever. The team was like a pro team. Everybody on that offense played in the NFL. It was just it was a machine, right. And then crack Door comes in. The program goes down. We don't go to ball bowl games. Charlie Strong comes in. We go to the beef Old Brady's Bowl in Tampa and play in a crappy baseball team.
Speaker 1: They call it the Soubrett.
Speaker 6: What do they call it? The soprerou The stadium we played in was just it's it's now tore down. Absolutely it should have been so and we're playing Southern Miss, right, So, but the feeling after the game and with the players were crying, Jeche was hugging Charlie Strong and and there was emotion and you're like.
Speaker 1: Fans were losing their minds.
Speaker 6: We we were losing our minds, and it was like that we just won the Beef O. Brady's Bowl against Southern Miss. Why did that mean more emotionally than the Orange Bowl? Because you you get to that point and then you're not supposed to be there and we didn't go for a couple of years. It feels like that with the baseball team, that we didn't go for a couple of years and the program looked like it was what it was, that's exactly right, and then all of a sudden, sudden, the Bad News Bears bust through the Regional super Regional and get to the World Series. And that's why it feels different for fans.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think you're spot on. I think not the same exact comparison. But when Louisville made the Final four in twenty twelve, that was unique and one of the funnest tournament rides, because if you remember, Rick didn't even let the seniors talk on Senior Day, they got beat by something.
Speaker 1: We got I was there, Yeah, we got run out of the room. And then they went to South.
Speaker 2: Floorida, and then they went up to Syracuse, got busted, and they went into the Big East Tournament. No momentum, real talk for the first time about Rick is he going to be the guy moving forward because he's slipping and Col's killing it.
Speaker 1: And then they get hot.
Speaker 2: They end up winning the Big East Tournament, make it all the way to the final four, and you never want to lose to Kentucky at any point if you're a Louisville fan. But this is the one time I can think of where it truly had a hard time, not just realizing I'm happy we're here and we competed.
Speaker 1: We weren't supposed to be here.
Speaker 2: And know by the way that Kentucky team with Anthony Davis, nobody's beating them. We had no business peace because we were unexpected runs and unexpected success with your team is some of the it's it's one of the best feelings you have as a fan.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, like Kentucky's felt it too, sure.
Speaker 6: I mean where they've been away for a while and then they come back and there they're overjoyed.
Speaker 2: Their comparison, I think because Cal always had success. He just flamed in the tournament. But they were brought back to life by a coach who embraced them and was one of them, and Mark Pope, you know what I mean. So where that like they they started to Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: It's kind of nice.
Speaker 2: Whenever it's about the programs and about the history and about the fans and not just Cali Perry and and you know it. It's that you don't really know what you missed until it comes back and you're like, oh my gosh, this is awesome.
Speaker 3: No joke.
Speaker 2: Lowell basketball will never be as bad as they were under Kenny Payne. So last year we were brought back to life when we were dead and I remember we covered against Morehead State and the opener.
Speaker 6: Great to be a game where I isn't that isn't that? Expectations is everything and that's a lot. That's a lot in life. How good are you as a husband? Well, ask the expectations of the wife answers that question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you what, the Louisville basketball situation still doesn't seem real.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm glad, and I'm only thinking about it because of what we just discussed. But also, Kenny Paine's gonna be on the bench when Louisville goes to Fayetteville next year in the acc SEC Challenge, and that'll be a storyline. But because Pat Kelsey had some success, really big success comparatively speaking, in year one, thankfully for Kenny, not that he would care. Nobody was sitting around thinking about him last year because we were just intoxicated with the fact that we were alive again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I also think, as the old sportscaster guy, it will never get back to the Rick walking out at Freedham Hall with the white suit playing number five Georgetown and they all had those we had those lights, or the fans had the lights, and the unbelievable Georgetown had the number one big man in the country and.
Speaker 1: It was Roy Hibbert.
Speaker 6: It was crazy and the atmosphere was I don't ever think they're going to have twenty two thousand people consistently at the Yeoman.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I think at times it's really not a specific like there's not one specific thing that is the factor.
Speaker 1: There's a variety of it.
Speaker 2: I think time, like I think now, the new way to be a big name in coaching is to not be the larger than life, egotistical, unrelatable person like Patino and Calipari. It's to be relatable and and and you know, like one of one of the people. I mean that that's working for Pat Kelsey so far. Now again, when you don't win, those things don't work, it becomes it becomes weaponized against you. I always give you this example. People love Chris Mack when he was at Roosters having a having a miller like, oh, he gets the same wing sauce that I get.
Speaker 1: And then you know, you may still like that you missed the tournament, and you know he.
Speaker 2: Was the most He better get his ass, get off the lake and hit the recruiting trail.
Speaker 6: He was the most great. He exited better than any coaching history. Remember he walked out the parking lot and go, yeah, I'm good man, I'm not a victim.
Speaker 1: I'm good a victim. I just got fourteen million bucks. I'm straight. It's like it's like Saturd It's like Saderfield was loving him.
Speaker 3: Up.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's he's they like him, he's he's loving on him. You can tell, man, these players, they really play hard for him. He's so he's so nice.
Speaker 2: And then you know that's why he cries about El's downfield of Mark Stoops.
Speaker 1: Oh, guy's not built for this.
Speaker 6: He's got a great wife. But Max got a great wife. To you marry a South End girl. That's that's the that'll keep you straight. Shout out to the Hester family. Ye all right, Tony and Dwight, they're up next. I have no clue what you're in for, but just be prepared.
Speaker 2: They're gonna keep you on your They're gonna give him up.
Speaker 6: We're gonna give his two kids a Father's Day quiz. Oh I love it. His boys will be they'll be good on air. Oh yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Tony, Tony Dwier coming up next right here on Who's Radio eight forty W H A S.